Titan in the Playground

Default Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

La +6 for me I think.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

Post Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

Red Ethergaunt

• Medium Aberration (extraplanar)
    • 5 RHD (of a not-great kind - easier to swallow when you get innate casting)
    • 30 ft move
    • +4 natural AC: not bad. Equivalent to a 32,000gp Amulet, minus the slot.
    • Enslave: 3/day dominate monster, with a limitation on the number of creatures enslaved. Still, as a Supernatural ability, you don't need to worry about SR.
    • Spells: almost the entire reason to play these guys. 9th level Wizard casting - 4 levels above your HD.
    • Stupefying gaze: at will, free action, gaze attack roughly equivalent to Touch of Stupidity. Nice.
    • Darkvision 60 ft
    • Material jaunt: ability to inhabit the material plane for 1 round/HD, 1/hour. If you want to stay longer, you need other magic.
    • Immunity to spells: unlimited SR vs. arcane spells of 2nd level or lower. Pretty cool, but limited use at higher levels.
    • Total vision: automatically detect most creatures in a 40 foot radius. Nice.
    • Str +4, Dex +4, Con +2, Int +12, Wis +4, Cha +2: net +28. Pretty sweet. Admittedly, some scores aren't much use to Wizards, but +12 to your casting stat is great.
    • Small but decent racial class list: most importantly, the two main skills for a Wizard are there (Concentration and Spellcraft).
    • Combat Casting and EWP as bonus feats: not bad. I mean, maybe not as useful as Wizard bonus feats, but still not horrible.

Humanoid in form, and can speak. Gear and class progression shouldn't be an issue (class progression is fairly obvious). Solid stat boosts, including a large boost to your casting stat. Other icing on the cake with dominate monster, de-buffing gaze attack, all around vision and immunity to low level arcane spells with SR. And of course, 9th level casting from arguably the best list in the game. The only drawback is your difficulty in leaving the Ethereal easily for extended periods.

With 9th level casting on a 5HD chassis, I'd already be looking at a minimum +4. Throw on the stat boosts, dominate monster, and other perks, I'm voting LA +6, but can definitely see an argument for higher.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

Despite all the current arguments I think I can't believe its worth above +6 (which is my vote) atm. I could probably be argued down to +5 or maybe to +7 but no arguments sway me either way atm, and I always lean towards lower, because its more playable. I prefer OP LA over unplayable(ly bad) ones.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Troll in the Playground

Also keep in mind that unlike regular Dominate Person/Monster, the victim is allowed a new save every day and can't wander more than a mile from the Ethergaunt. For either of those reasons alone, even with the indefinite duration, I'd say his ability is inferior to DP/M. That army will break ranks eventually, whereas you know how long you have the ones controlled by spells (barring Dispels, Break Enchantments, etc). The DC also appears to be based on Charisma, not its massive Intelligence. This thing is a Wizard with a nice Charisma-based ability, not a Sorcerer. Enslave is not as good as it might appear at first glance.

Enslave is okay, but not pushing it into the next level. Especially since each point of LA hits casters a lot harder than non-casters. That +12 to Int is really nice though.

Call it a +6 for now. I could even see myself dropping to +5 or even going up to +7, but the arguments in favor of doing so would have to be pretty darn good. For those saying +8 or higher, I don't feel the need to take 9th-level spells away from this thing. As mentioned above, Enslave may try to emulate a 9th-level spell, but it's a poor imitation.
    Kaedanis Pyran, tai faernae.

The LA Assignment Threads: Attempting to Make Monsters Playable Since 2016

My Homebrewer's Extended Signature
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Lycan 01 View Post
    Roland just endorsed a crack pairing?

Did... did we break the universe?
    Quote Originally Posted by SassyQuatch View Post
    It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rizban View Post
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

Question Re: The LA-assignment thread VIII: Way Too Much For Vampirism

I may have misread Material Jaunt - if they arrive on the Prime Material by other means, are they drawn back to the Ethereal, or only if they arrive there by Material Jaunt?

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Basically, imagine the reverse of a Human casting Ethereal Jaunt.

Show

It is a major flaw in the game. Destroy a moon? Sure. Talk to somebody a hundred miles away, that's going to be difficult.
    Realistically speaking... D&D style magic doesn't exist, so... let's ignore reality.

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

All ethergaunts get EWP with the Etherblade, which is kind of like a greatsword except it has no expanded crit range and can shoot laser beams. The beams are unimpressive (1d6 damage, 40 ft. range increment, 50 unrestorable charges per weapon), but might be relevant in one or two situations.
    The etherblade could be genuinely useful (the beams are touch attacks that deal nonmagical force damage, and you can full attack with them), but here it's just overshadowed by everything else. While you can't recharge them, they're cheap; I've seen people carry around a bunch of them, then purchase a Dragonshard Pommel Stone with the enchantments they want and swap it between blades as they run dry.

Since you can make etherblades and give them to your allies, I'd say this shouldn't be judged as an attack form so much as a support ability. Any character based around sneak attack will adore having an ethergaunt in their party.
    Last edited by Prime32; 2020-01-09 at 07:12 PM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ogre in the Playground

It's got to be either LA +6 or +7, so I'll err on the side of caution and say LA +7.

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

I'm going to change to +7 there are a lot of convincing arguments and was posting to show that +5 was to low.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Thurbane View Post
    I may have misread Material Jaunt - if they arrive on the Prime Material by other means, are they drawn back to the Ethereal, or only if they arrive there by Material Jaunt?
    It's outright stated that Ethergaunts that want to be on the Material longer than that, and who are high-level enough and can use Plane Shift, typically do so. So I think they can stay on the Material that way.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

Just wanted to add this but no matter what this creature will have the highest Level adjustment that has ever been assigned in these threads with what is being debated.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Im kinda torn on this one.
    Cant decide between +6 and +7. It does get a stupid amount of free stuff.
    But 37 HP at level 12 isnt much either.
    thnx to Starwoof for the fine avatar

13. - Top - End - #133
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by lord_khaine View Post
    "Isn't much"? Try "dead in two hits".

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Barbarian in the Playground

This thing can afford to sacrifice INT for CON.

Human Wizard starts with CON 14, INT 18, has 53 hit points @ level 11 (and INT 20 from leveling up)
    Etergaunt could start with CON 18(20) and INT 14(26), therfore 51 hit points.
    shipping Sabine/Vaarsuvius

15. - Top - End - #135

MonkGuy

Isn't there a feat to swap bonus HP from CON mod to INT mod? Lots of HP, then
    Last edited by Mike Miller; 2020-01-10 at 12:15 PM.

16. - Top - End - #136

WolfInSheepsClothing

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Miller View Post
    Isn't there a feat to swap bonus HP from CON mod to INT mod? Lots of HP, then
    Yup, Faerie Mysteries Initiate will allow you to make up for all your hit point loss from the LA, if your DM allows dragon magazine content and you meet the prerequisites (you probably don't).

Still, this monster is so hilariously overpowered that I think I'm going to have to say that too much for vampirism is just right for these beasties: +8 is my vote.

17. - Top - End - #137

Going to vote +5 here.

Now +6 isn't that high and I could be convinced normally. However it is on the edge. Remember at +5-+6 LA this thing will be (half) a spell level behind a wizard and have almost half it's max ranks and less than half the number of feats. It is pretty much locked out of most PrCs by sheer dint of feats and skill ranks. It will sit at the point where HD targeting spells which are merely a curiosity are outright lethal. It has some nice extra defenses but is that worth the lack of feats/PrC access?

+6 might work, but with all the people calling for +7 I don't feel comfortable with going with my higher estimate.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

I'm going with +7, it has some weaknesses at this range but its spells are going to hit like a Mac Truck

19. - Top - End - #139

That's what things like False Life and Greater Blink are for.

Ethergaunt has +2 racial CON and +6 AC (+4 NA, +4 racial DEX) over a wizard of equal stats. That's not a small difference.

Put a 14 or even a 16 on CON during point buy, as you don't need the very expensive (in points) 18 INT, and you've already closed the gap by a fair bit.

With the usual 32 others buy, an Ethergaunt could be rocking something like STR 12 DEX 20 CON 18 INT 28 WIS 14 CHA 10 straight out of the gate.

With the usual +4 INT headband, it's going to be rocking a 21+Spell level DC without sacrificing anything. That's kind of crazy, given the nearly zero effort it took to get that high of a DC.

Should average to 46 HP or so, while the usual CON 14 Wizard 12 would have about 55 HP. In about five levels, due it's higher CON it will break even or surpass the pure wizard, and go on from there.
    Last edited by TotallyNotEvil; 2020-01-10 at 02:58 PM.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TotallyNotEvil View Post
    That's what things like False Life and Greater Blink are for.
    Eh, I can buy the other parts, but False Life? I'd rather use stuff like an Amulet of Tears or Ruin Delver's Fortune or maybe Minor Shapeshift.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #141

Finally! The Khen-Zai, the possible creators of the Clockwork Horrors, and the ones who cut themselves off from both the gods and the material world. If the red gets less than +7 I'll be shocked.
    Quote Originally Posted by Quarian Rex View Post
    Sometimes you need more than well crafted crunch. Sometimes you need well crafted crunch that is playable in the game.
    Steam: Papa Palpy Palpatine
    Pesterchum: mysticUmbra
    YouTube: Noctus Does Things

Black(Blue and Green) or Sultai is my khanate, and my colour alignment.

The Rest of my Signature
    My Hombrew

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    Finally! The Khen-Zai, the possible creators of the Clockwork Horrors, and the ones who cut themselves off from both the gods and the material world. If the red gets less than +7 I'll be shocked.
    Might want to get some electricity resistance just in case.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #143

Quote Originally Posted by Aniikinis View Post
    Are you actually voting for +7? Because it isn't clear if you are, and if I'm counting right +7 has a thin 2-vote lead over +6.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

+5: 2 votes
    +6: 5 votes
    +7: 7 votes
    +8: 2 votes

+7 wins out with a small margin. Khaine's vote was ambiguous between 6 and 7, Aniikis made an ambiguous statement that could be interpreted as a +7 vote, but unless both of them meant to vote +6 there is no change in the results.
    Creator of the LA-assignment thread.

Come join the new Junkyard Wars and build with SLAs and a breath weapon!

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

Incidentally, this marks:

1. The highest assigned LA to date, beating the Ghaele Eladrin's +6.

2. The only time a WotC LA above +3 ended up being exactly right.

The second in particular convinces me that the age of reason has ended, and pigs will soon sprout wings.

Interested in judging a build competition on the 3.5 forums but not sure where to begin? Check out the judging handbook!

Extended signature!

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Inevitability View Post
    Incidentally, this marks:

1. The highest assigned LA to date, beating the Ghaele Eladrin's +6.

2. The only time a WotC LA above +3 ended up being exactly right.

The second in particular convinces me that the age of reason has ended, and pigs will soon sprout wings.
    I'm going to quote that, if you don't mind.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

Ethergaunt (II)

Ethergaunt, White

These mid-tier ethergaunts, notable for actually wearing clothes, have 11 HD. They're very comparable to the reds: Stupefying gaze, Enslave, Total Vision and Material Jaunt are all unchanged. Constitution, dexterity, and intelligence have gone up at the cost of two points of strength, and Combat Casting isn't a bonus feat anymore (but still something the default monster has chosen, apparently).

White ethergaunts' Spell Immunity has been upgraded to cover 3rd- and 4th-level spells, and their casting is now that of a 13th-level wizard, making a LA of +2 the bare minimum. To balance out the many other goodies the 'gaunt gets, I think +3 or +4 is more appropriate, though.

A LA of +5 is honestly reasonable here. Being behind on casting a bit is compensated for more than adequately with the great stats and special abilities.

Ethergaunt, Black

16 RHD, 17th-level casting, better stats (including a whopping 31 intelligence), and 6th-level Spell Immunity (now covering spells like Flesh to Stone, Feeblemind, and Baleful Polymorph). Not a lot worth mentioning here that hasn't been discussed in some other entry already.

When you consider the giant intelligence bonus, a black ethergaunt isn't that far behind on casting compared to a 20th-level wizard, and as such I'm comfortable assigning it +4 LA. Class levels aren't that important if you have 9th-level spells.
    Last edited by Inevitability; 2020-01-15 at 01:29 PM.

Extended signature!

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

Reds already make very good casters thanks to the ginormous Int bonus, but the others? That's not turning it up to 11, that's ripping the dial off.

Extended sig here.

29. - Top - End - #149
    Troll in the Playground

"Two levels above the casting they give you" seems like a good overall rule for Ethergaunts. (except apparently the red ones, though that was pretty close)

Put me down for +4 and +3.

Show

30. - Top - End - #150

On the White, given their similarities I'm inclined to take the same measure we decided upon for the Red, which had it 3 level above its racial casting.

But it has a far smaller gap between HD and casting than the Red had.

So, at 11 HD and 13th level casting, going to call for +5 LA so it still ends up with 9th level spells.

For Black, I'd consider 17th level casting and +20 Intelligence a worthy 20th l