Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Total War: Rise of Kingdoms IC

To the Theocracy of Shemesh:

"Thank you for your patience, we were waiting for word from the Council of Voices. We are happy to have a presence in [55] and shall not conflict with you."

Spoiler: To the Templars MOR 9
    Show

Well met,

You will find the item we are sending you on your shores shortly on a merchant vessel.

Good day.

Spoiler: To the Fungal Combine MOR 9
    Show

We were assuming that you were going to try to destroy us either way, perhaps we're simply changing the order in which that happens. Moving our destined battle closer than it was.

Of course, if you'd prefer to delay battle. I know a Legion of Evil that is quite distracted on the Northern front while you happen to be to their South.

May our coming battle be legendary

Grand Voice Dawn

Spoiler: To Silvermist MOR 9
    Show

Your words have lost meaning. You have told so many lies that your tongue can no longer manage the Truth.

Repent and hear the Voice! Listen to her call. You can still fight for good!

Last edited by Writtensanity; 2020-01-14 at 06:06 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

DruidGuy

Spoiler: The Church of Truth Morale 7
    Show

Any messengers sent to the Combine's territories are turned, appropriated, then returned melded together as one, and only speak in between bouts of disgorging hyphae-laced feathers from their aperture.

The Legion is mine to consume. Your truths and their proselytizers are mine. Just like every chattering iron-fanged hominid, hypocritical sun-worshiper, every Collectivist that dared to dream of a world without my presence, the Sinful Scalebound betrayer & their victims, every grain of this fetid sphere's soil & tectonic plate, every leper and queen, all the blades in the world and the limbs they hew. All of them. Everything. All of it. Is. MINE.

Come south and I will devour you. There will be no glory. Only the horror that comes when all of your multitudes break against all of me.

“Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Silvermist

Spoiler: Templars: Mor 7
    Show
    Indeed we too smell death in the air.

Spoiler: The Other Hivemind: MOR 0
    Show
    Don't blame poor negotiations on the lack of profit from your deal. You very well admit that you sought payment. And don't call me a liar, you didn't join the non-aggression pact. Sure, I don't know what you were doing, but the actuality of it is that you wanted to make sure that it worked first. You have no spine or courage and believe that things must carefully calculated. That's not how things work. You strive towards the ends you need to reach. As we have in all of our actions.

As for our agreement, we have not yet broke it, but you seem content to change it as you see fit. That is not an agreement. We should have been weary of accepting anything from you as you changed your first offer before we could even look at it. Now, you denounce us before we even begin to repay you. A swell diplomatic swoop. I must take a leaflet from your book, not one of the ones that have become so popular for bowel cleansing, and remember to berate and constantly accuse my friends. And to constantly change any agreements that I have with people.

Spoiler: Truth Mouthers: MOR 0
    Show
    I believe the fault lies in your ears and eyes. My intentions have been clear from the start. And don't pretend to have the experience to lecture me about fighting the good fight. Life is struggle and turmoil to us. Creatures that aren't brainwashed slaves or religious zealots controlled by angels. Do you truly believe that what you are doing is in any way different from the enslavement the Demons place in their lands? P.S. Your trade embargo will cost Shemesh. Again proving that you fight for no one but your own childish whims.
    "I'll get a cool quote, just you wait."
    Here is the backdrop to the first Campaign in my Titan Blood World.
    Bastilonis

4. - Top - End - #154
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Astral Collective

Spoiler: Public Message to Silvermist (Morale 0)
    Show
    This time it is a blizzard of letters, sweeping over Silvermist and leaving copies wherever it goes. Other nations find errant copies blown by the four winds to their territories.

Are hollow insults and childish name-calling all you have left to offer?

You talk of spine and courage while displaying none. You refuse to take responsibility for your actions. You publicly denounced the nation you immediately joined forces with, within the span of weeks. You broke one of the two conditions of our aid in doing so.

You accuse us of being poor negotiators. This is perhaps true. We cannot twist words nearly as well as you. We do not seek to take advantage of those who come in friendship. Nothing you have said or done gives a shred of evidence that you would repay us for this girevance. Indeed, you have not even acknowledged any wrongdoing on your part. We will be pleasantly surprised if you do, but we do not expect it in the slightest. We cannot expect you to act with any degree of integrity.

Your intentions are certainly clear: Silvermist will break the terms of any deal so long as it benefits them. Silvermist will attack a neighbor over a minor inconvenience, without warning. Silvermist will lie about who it sees as friend and foe. Silvermist will even lie about the death of the son of its leader in order to solicit aid. You capitalized on our compassion for your son's death and used the resources we lent you to aid the forces of the hells.

You have made your bed. When the Brotherhood falls and you have no one to defend you, we hope you realize that it could so easily have been avoided, if not for your pride and your duplicity.

The Council of Speakers of the Astral Republic

Public Message to the Theocracy of Shemesh

Pilgrim Menheru is warmly greeted by the residents of Tetrahedron Five. He is given a short tour of the tetrahedron, provided with supplies for his return journey, and politely sent on his way.

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    If you want to open up an RP dialogue, it’s going to have to be more than one half-crazed pilgrim.

To the Templars of Our Burning Saviour

Spoiler: Disclaimer for all
    Show
    Please treat this as OoC knowledge unless you have 11 ESP or higher.

Kriik-Krilr waves his antenna in a circular manner, to which Zina politely interjects and clarifies that it is a gesture of respect. “Well met, Archon Keldrar. I consider myself to be practical, above all else. Your nation’s devotion towards the Pyresoul – the very being from which we fled our reality – is at conflict with the pain and devastation that he caused the Astral Collective. He is seen here not as someone to be revered, but as an instrument of death and destruction. If that were the entirety of the manner, this fundamental incompatibility would make anything approaching friendship out of the question.

Kriik-Krilr pauses, the setting sun casting an orange-red glow across his carapace as he considers his next words. “Zeilrae, of course, changes things. We were initially quite… taken aback at his interest to align himself with the Astral Collective. We assumed he would be too much like his ancestral progenitor. However, besides a few differences in outlook, we have been quite impressed by him. He has much of the Pyresoul’s strength, and very little of his cruelty. We’ve been helping him understand how he can best help Hanrui as a whole. Perhaps he will serve as the bridge that can allow our nations to coexist.”
    "And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!" -Søren Kierkegaard

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 4

“In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies.” - Winston Churchill

Winter gives way once more to the cleansing waters of spring and the burning heat of summer. The continents of Hanrui glow in the flames of war as nations march and cities burn.

Ancient Forests Born in Spring

It all starts with a seed, or in this case a sapling. The sapling has been long dead and separated into three yet it still gives off the power of a high end nature spirit. That was when it had been separated into three pieces. Now that they had been brought together it felt like the gaze of an ancient forest had been turned upon the Paladin.

The three pieces melded together, whole once more as if they had never been ripped apart. The Paladin plants the tree into a shallow hole but before he can even push the dirt back the sapling is sucked underground. Several moments pass and Sylas prays to the Voice that he did not just get their precious artifact sucked into the earth never to be seen again.

Thankfully only a few seconds later the ground starts to shake. Nature magic begins to waft through the air, causing wisps of deep fog impossible to see through as the magic drives the natural growth of the area into overdrive. Grass springs up a foot taller trees look like they gain centuries of growth and foilage grows thicker than stone in places.

One thing can be seen clearly a short distance away though, a small sapling springs out of the ground before beginning a lightning quick growth. Turning into the biggest tree around for tens of kilometers. In the trees center, nestled deep in the massive trunk, is a dim but powerful magical light. The light it provides is not much but it reaches far beyond what it should and never stopped by darkness.

The light moves from within the tree to a tangle of branches and vines, they gather around it in the form of a humanoid glowing faintly from every crack in the body. It descends to the Paladins and kneels before them “Greetings Lords and Masters, this one is the Last Light. Herald of the Forest of Ancient Ways that sits before you. You have called us into being and we are here to serve at your will, the pants and creatures of this forest and my own magics are yours to comm-”

The light flickers and the creature gasps in what would be pain, if it was capable of feeling such things. In the distance you here the forest shaking and the cries of the wild things now living there. Corruption springing from dark magics corrupt the organics and blast apart ancient woods. Small veins of blackness and insidious green creep up the arm of the creature before it rips off the arm. Light shines through the hole in its new born body.

The light starts to intensify as you hear a whisper slide through the minds of everything present
    “Beneath the holy oaks I wandered,
    I heard the whispers of the wood and pondered.
    Through twilight aisles I drifted,
    Until the light could be lifted.”

The dim light grows in intensity burning and purifying the corruption throughout the forest, many of the unfortunate corrupted Fauna and Flora had the life burned from them in purifying light. Too thoroughly corrupted to live.

As the light fades the creature stands back up, parts of its body smoking and the arm still missing. The light in its core has faded back to the original dim unstoppable light. It looks back to the Paladins “-and. We will defend your lands and watch over your interests. We do not march to war since that is not the role of the forest but we are guardians bonded to you. What is your command Master?”

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: New Artifact NPC rises in 55 Allied with the Church. The traps in 55 were activated, damaging the new NPC.

Sins of War

Isilious Raenber had survived under cults, under mobs of bureaucrats, and under the reign of merchents and assassins. Living under the rule of demons devils and undead was not that bad honestly. They were towards the end of that list but not the worst. Less interested in mass sacrifice to eldritch abominations and more quick and brutal murder if you bothered them.

Still though they cared little for the populace now that they had the city and he was sure the leaders of Khasal would not let this stand. They would be back and everything would return to normal. Still he would miss the ease at which he was able to get contraband now. He turns the street to his warehouse stash, wondering if it was worth trying to cultivate a relationship with a demon for underground contraband to be shipped to him, and stops.

He had turned smack into the middle of a Legion Devil patrol. The lietenant growls “Grab that one to add to the bunch.” Just like that he was grabbed tied up and thrown onto a cart of squirming bodies before being clubbed unconscious.

The next thing he felt was a burning sensation along his hands and feet. He screamed as he woke feeling the course wood behind him and the shooting pain of nails driven through his feet and hands. Isilious can barely think over his pain and screams not to mention the screams of a thousand other crucified people begging for death.

The crucifier was unwilling to give it though, the Legion Commander happily grinning at the smidgeon of torture. “Well Khasalans its been fun but we got what we needed from you, given how much we will miss you its only fair we leave you with a nice fire to warm yourselves at.”

Then like that dozens of mages cast their fireballs, legion devils threw their torches, and munitions exploded. Khasal was still burning when their people arrived, army in hand and vengeance in their hearts. To late to stop the inferno claiming thousands in its grasp.

While cities burn on Kyrsull, Izoran the Unchained sails the seas. He leads the armies of Silvermist and his own personal battalion of Legion Devils to Riveness and the dwarves. Their armies ladn and destroy the dwarves in their home, settling on the new continent with their armies.

While Silvermist and the Dwarves hammer away at each other the devils are hit on all sides, their armies and legions fade against the magical onslaught and agent actions. Mass poisonings, magical rituals murdering hundreds, targeted assassinations, and more. The devils army is neutered as is their ability to expand.

Mithral looks like silver but spends like Diamonds

Stone Warden Brindai Silverbreaker had been running this mine for decades now, his family even longer. Silver was in their blood and the few dwarf families in the town respected that. The little mining town of Silverton had muddled along for just as long as his family had been here. Back when the mine was opened the town though that the silver was their ticket to relevance and riches.

Poor fools had no idea what silver was actually worth in the overall market, and with the quantities they pulled from the ground each year it just wasn’t enough to be a big deal. Everyone got a little money and a lot of work. In the end they had forgotten their dreams been happy with their lot in life as a well off mining town with work available to anyone willing to swing a pickaxe or sweat in a forge.

The thing in front of him would be the change though, all that simple happiness and satisfaction gone and the rising of old dreams. He picked up the silvery metal nugget in front of him and turned to the dwarf miner in front of him. “Show me where you mined it. NOW!”

The pair rush down to the mines and down near the new mine shaft the miner points out the spot he had chunked it from. A massive vein of the stuff ran down even further, splitting into even more veins as far as he could see. The lifeblood of ancient forges, metal of the gods, wet dream of dwarves.

Mithral.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Territory 12 has an extra 2 econ in it for whoever takes it.

Winds of Magic

Powerful magics have been unleashed these past few seasons. Powerful rituals to crush the unwary enemy, ancient wonderous magics warping reality, and the world sending their magics on the wind to spy the ongoings of Hanrui.
    Like calls to like and the ancient lands of Hanrui are steeped with magics old and powerful. The lands become steeped in magics so thick it appears as mists at times, sometimes flowing on the wind or sweeping through the ocean. Mages awaken to their power as never before, artifacts long dead thrive, and magical components are common as grass.

Spoiler
    Show
    OOC: Magic cheaper by 1 this turn.

Expansion

The Autumn chill and Winter cold stopped no nation as several surged across continents and into new lands or spread their hold further yet on their own lands.

Nex sees no expansion beyond the normal borders, the Pillar preoccupied with their studies and the Wraiths with interests on Kyrsull.

Kyrsull sees several territories taken and brought to the fold, small towns and villages joining things greater than they could ever hope to be. Balamites brought under the Templars wing Devils drawing in discontent raiders and savages, the Theocracy guides the lost into the light, and the Fungal Combine consumes and grows.

Rivaness sees the spread of its nations slowing down, more for lack of room then any desire to stop. The Ironfang Banner leads its manifesto south to the coastal towns and villages who gladly through in their lot with them. In the inland area the Astral Collective bring new towns into the fold with their modest and respectable dragon.

New Neighbors/Old Enemies

Legions march on the Theocracy, Dwarves expand to new continents, and Silvermist adventurers spread across oceans to Riveness.

The Dwarves sweep over the ocean, landing on the coast like an avalanche. The Shield Dwarves make their stand and march their speakers through villages and towns. Many willingly join the Dwarves rather then face destruction but there are a handful of holdouts among the larger towns, their adventurers standing firm alongside gnomish guards and orc warriors. It stops nothing though as the Dwarf war machine roll over them. The land is taken at little to no cost to the dwarves. Cheers resound throughout the army and dwarven lands at the might of their people and being the first to settle on 2 continents.

While the army is overseas the Adventurers struck deals with the Devils and attacked the Dwarves on their home continent Riveness. The adventurers with their newly raised military have brought Izoran the Unchained to Rivaness with Legion Devils to take the coastal regions of their nation. They benefit from the recent churning out of high grade arms and runic equipment and flowing trade, glutting themselves on the gold and weapons.

The Legion relies on their savagery to bring themselves through the war against the nation that would not defend or fight back. Their success is very quick, sweeping through the lands. It does not stop the Theocracy from whisping through the occupied lands to steal away their people where they can find them.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-01-20 at 12:08 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Summery of Total War game I am running. Summery of the Total War Hanrui game I ran.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to Ceika for my awesome Avatar!

6. - Top - End - #156
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

The Templars of Our Burning Saviour

One day, the Templars of Our Burning Saviour marched to Balam.
    Old Balam, the massive dark city, built by Demons out of black stone, ruled by Witch-Priests with a bloody fist. Home of Disease, Disorder and Death. The City Stained Red. These days, it seemed, more than ever, with the Witch-Priests and Slavemasters having lost their unity.
    The city was but a Carcass, a shadow of its former dark Glory, but still as hopeless and deadly as before.

The Scouts were determined. Almost all of them hailed from Balam - mercenaries, former slaves, street scum. Refugees. They had fled when the city fell to chaos, and they had found new purpose in Our Saviour's service. Well-fed, well-trained and with fire in their eyes. Burning with desire to take the city.

The refugees knew Balam, they knew the surrounding territory. They had told the Templars where to find people looking for a cause, a reason to live, refugee camps, deep mines where hardy slave workers were still under control of their warlock slavemasters, looking just for a spark to break their chains and get back at Balam's former masters.

The scouts, swiftly and covertly, sweeped the lands, preparing the way for the Templars' main forces.

They monitored movements, prepared ambushes, and led red-robed Clerics and Preachers to refugee camps, slave quarters with easily disposed guards, and those warbands led by former slaves sympathetic to the Templars' crusade.
    The Oracai Preachers made fiery speeches, citing the Templars' glorious past and future, urging the huddled masses to join the crusade against their former, bloody masters. Those that accepted were healed and blessed by Clerics, and were given swords and shields fresh out of the Templars' forges - which prompted many more to join.

The main forces of the Order arrived. A massive host of shining gold and blood red, their Banners bearing the Burning Wings of Our Saviour. Templars and Sariant warriors both came riding their Drequai Mounts, enormous green-scaled reptilian beasts, heavily armoured with golden plate for the Templars, less so for the Sariants, who served as mounted archers in the plains surrounding Balam.

An unusual figure, the Grand Admiral Ior of House Aencaij rode behind the main force on a slim, fast Drequai, his sharp red uniform, bicorne and polished medals seeming slightly out of place between the heavily armoured Knights and Sariants. He was accompanied by ten women in purple silk, each on their own mount, and each armed with a golden scimitar. His personal guard.

Quickly, small forces of warlords were trampled under the claws of Drequai or hacked to pieces by golden scimitars, small fortresses taken and slaves freed, more and more of them joining the Templar's host.

Then, they beheld the first true enemy force that dared to stand in their way.

Some former Witch-Priests had finally banded together, dreading their loss of power over districts of the city. They had formed a force made up of brainwashed slaves brandishing poorly made spears and old swords, but also well-armed mercenaries in black, shawls covering their faces.
    They also had managed to summon a small host of demons to do their bidding.

As the two armies marched onto the field of battle, the Templars erected pyres behind the lines, with preachers and clerics walking amongst the workers, chanting and praying. Oracai clad only in red tunics, some of them needing support to walk, were brought. They were Veterans, as could be seen by the burns and scars on their bodies, but they had been crippled in recent fighting, and could fight no more.
    Determined, they ascended the pyres, and allowed the Clerics to bind them to the stakes in the middle.

The pyres were then lit on fire, and slowly, one by one, the crippled veterans joined in the chorus of screams, singing Our Saviour Praises with their last breaths, singing Songs of Glory and Power in high-pitched shrieks and bone-shattering screams of pain.

This ritual of Our Saviour's faithful before any significant battle unnerved the citizens of Balam in their ranks just as much as it inspired the Oracai.
    Of course, it had a similar effect of unnerving their enemies as well.

As the screams neared their highest point, as if from an unheard signal, the Templars charged. A storm of golden Plate, claws, gold-tipped lances and sharp curved swords, accompanied by confident battlecries of freed slaves and mercenaries storming forward, if falling a bit behind.

The Black Guards of Balam's remnants took aim at the charging Templars with their bows, but their unconcentrated attacks only brought down a rider infrequently. The masked Witch-Priests thought to have found their enemies weakness and ordered their demons and mounted mercenaries to fall into the flank of the Templars' main body where the new recruits of refugees was placed, but horse archer Sariants rode out to meet them in battle, and harassed them to retreat.

Then the Templar's heavy cavalry crashed into the Witch-Priests lines.

From the Grand Admirals position, a chaos of black, red and gold ensued, from the soldiers position, it was a different experience. Simple slaves hacked apart from Drequaiback. A Templar's golden Plate armour punctured by a demon's claw. Mercenaries ripped to shreds by a riderless Drequai. Scarred slaves tearing apart a panicking slavemaster with open bloodlust, while he uselessly flailed around with his whip.

The armoured Templars rode through the Witch-Priests' lines with ease, and one the formation broke, the slaughter commenced.
    The Templars outnumbered them by a great margin, even without their newly recruited auxiliaries, and they were better disciplined and better organised.

Once one of the Templars held a black mask in his armoured hand, high into the air, the battle was over. The corpse crumpled by his feet had been one of the Witch-Priests, who had dissolved many of the attackers with his eldritch magic, but now that he was dead, the remainder was soon mopped up.

The path to Balam was free now, and when the Templars finally took the city, it was not much of a battle. The surviving warlords and Witch-Priests had barricaded themselves in their areas of the city with their troops, but isolated as they were, they were no challenge for the coordinated attacks of the Templars. It was easy to enter the city through the badly damaged and broken city walls, and the recruits of Balam were adept at urban combat in their own city of origin.
    Barricades were breached, palaces were stormed, the former masters of the city dragged out into the streets and executed.

Still, the discipline forces of the Order kept the plundering to a minimum. The new recruits accepted after some grumbling, as they were reminded, that Old Balam was their city now.

It had only taken a few weeks from the day the crusade set foot in the lands of Balam until the whole region was fully pacified and its populace brought into the fold.

Blood-Red Templar banners flew from the towers and archways of Balam, while Sariants in golden scalemail coats marched through the streets. The populace celebrated.

The Faith of Our Burning Saviour found many converts following the conquest, and soon, many of those who had fought and bled alongside the Templars in the Battle of Balam were organised, trained and equipped in their own regiment as fully recognized Sariant Warriors of the Order.

Massive Statues of Templar Saints and Heroes were erected in the City, overlooking the streets and town squares and showing everyone living in Balam and, even further, the whole of Hanrui, who had finally brought Order to Balam and who were her new Protectors.
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-01-19 at 02:40 AM.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ogre in the Playground

The Legion of Darkness continue to march through the desert lands, the clouds following in their wake blotting the sun and turning Radiant Saisol to Murky Saisol. In the darkness lay the many corpses felled by blades of black, murdered in cold blood, the dead given no respect, but only the savage ends of their lives.

The Theocracy of Shemesh had defended Radiant Saisol, with armies, with call for arms, but their defence had been pierced by the darkest of blades, slaying countless in genocide. Their battle worthy numbers paled compared to those the Legion of Darkness fielded. The few that endured, the few that avoided the foul ends of the Legion of Darkness, as darkness makes finding the last few more difficult, were saved by rescue groups. Yet far from all were successful, butchered by bloodthirsty black knights, tormented as their light died out.

As the survivors were brought back, so too were stories of the vilery of the Legion of Darkness. And these stories flew their own course, spoken, whispered, walked, sailed and voiced throughout Hanrui, most evident by being carried by the storytellers of the Theocracy of Shemesh.

They walked to the various nations, the factions, the masses, and would tell the many stories of the savagery of the Legion of Darkness, who, consumed in the horrors of war, have forsaken all to Darkness.

[OOC: The Theocracy of Shemesh is claiming the Legion of Balance has 0 Reputation.]

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

PaladinGuy

The Astral Collective

Spoiler: To the Nations of Rivaness (no, the Brotherhood most definitely does not count): Morale 11
    Show
    Greetings, my friends and compatriots.

I am saddened and infuriated by the actions of Silvermist and the Brotherhood of Sin. I applaud your efforts in dramatically reducing the Brotherhood's ability to launch any further attacks.

If your nations can spare you, it would be my privilege to host you at Tetrahedron Twelve this season. From there, we can coordinate how best to permanently end the threat that the Brotherhood poses.

I look forward to seeing you, if possible.

With the utmost respect,

Yonren, Twelfth Speaker of the Astral Collective

Spoiler: To the Brotherhood of Sin: Morale 0
    Show
    Your existence upon Hanrui is an affront that can no longer be tolerated. For the good of all peoples, you must be banished to the dark depths from whence you came.

When the armies of Rivaness eradicate you from this world, no one will mourn your passing.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    THE ASTRAL COLLECTIVE DECLARES WAR ON THE BROTHERHOOD OF SIN AND ALL WHO SHELTER THEM
    "And what wine is so sparkling, what so fragrant, what so intoxicating, as possibility!" -Søren Kierkegaard

9. - Top - End - #159
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

A Newly Minted Force:

Chorus Member Aldan shifted a couple more inches away from his companion to his left, almost bumping into the soldier to his right. He'd been drafted into the army of the Church in order to fight for the voice. She'd told him to come here, and she whispered that he was safe in her arms. That being said, no matter what she whispered the situation he was in was uncomfortable.

The Chorus member to Aldan's left was a hulking brute of a devil wrapped in gold and silver plate from two different sets of armor. Aldan knew that the devil heard the Voice, he knew that the newest members of the Church had the same purpose as him, but something as contradictory as a devil paladin just made Aldan shaky in some primal place.

"Brothers and Sisters," Grand Voice Dawn called, her voice magically amplified to reach everyone's ears. "Today is a happy day, a day where I can be proud of you," Aldan watched her ride across the front line of the groups that had just finished their paladin training. She'd taken to riding rather than limping around. "Today I get to call you all Crusaders of Truth, full members of our Paladin Order!" Dawn raised her blade and Aldan matched, the hulking devil to his right lifted a battle axe larger than Aldan himself.

"All of you came from different backgrounds," Dawn continued, "some of you fought against us at Hangruard," there was cheering from a section of paladins for their former home. "Some of you had never picked up a weapon before the last season," Dawn called and Aldan cheered raising a sword that he cared for much more than his farming tools at home, "And some of you..." Dawn let herself trail off.

"Some of you marched to Rivaness under the Banner of the Unchained before hearing our Voice and knowing that we are the Church of TRUTH ," Dawn shouted. The legions of hell spread amongst the new forces bellowed and screamed; a shiver ran down Aldan's spine.

"We will take back the lands of Rivaness from the Brotherhood and we will crush the Legion of Darkness that has been hiding an ocean away from us! The Church Marches on crusade, and the world will know our might!"

Spoiler: To Silvermist, MOR 10
    Show
    To Silvermist;

It would appear that we are now neighbours with your allies after you took territory from the Dwarves. Seeing as our defensive pact was announced after they declared war on you, this does not put us at war. That being said, considering you are actively trading territory with our friends, our embargo shall continue through the coming seasons.

We are not involved with your war with the Dwarves, don’t bring us into the battle, as we are not keen on another war, but we will not take kindly to invaders on Rivaness.

We are at war with your allies though, and shall see them banished back to the hellfire they crawled out of.

Grand Voice Dawn.

Spoiler: To the Theocracy of Shemesh, MOR 10
    Show
    To Shemesh;

We arrive on the continent, slightly wounded but finally here to help. We thank you for keeping faith as we made the trek across the oceans, your pilgrims were imperative to us making it across to Kyrsull.

We stand at your back, and though we face down Myconids we are prepared to work with you in combating the Legion of Darkness. We await knowledge of your plans in the coming seasons.

Grand Voice Sylas of the first Kyrsull Legion

Spoiler: To the Myconids: MOR 0
    Show
    To the Myconids:

The letter is left on a cart that is enchanted to wander down the ruined streets of Fromian Territory.

It’s clear that one of us has a Voice in our head saying the wrong thing. Unfortunate that none of the bodies you leave will be able to be saved.

Spoiler: To the Astral Collectiive: MOR 10
    Show
    To the Astral Collective:

If you are planning on standing against the evils of the world, we would request that you stand against the myconids in the upcoming days. It seems that the Brotherhood of sin is rather pre-occupied with being a smouldering crater.

Grand Voice Khal.

PS. Sounds lovely.

Spoiler: To the Brotherhood of Sin, MOR 0
    Show
    To the Brotherhood of Sin:

You know I never thought I would say this, but demons and devils look rather good in white and gold. Just goes to show that all can be saved with a little persuasion.

Grand Voice Hybert

Spoiler: To the Pillar of Wisdom, MOR 10
    Show
    To the Pillar of Wisdom

Dearest Scholars of the Pillar.

My name is Grand Voice Jeleva of the Church of the Truth Speaker. We have not communicated in the past seasons, as I believe that both of us were occupied with personal endeavours.

I am writing for a suggestion of a project. The Myconid hordes that are spreading across the middle of Kyrsull have very interesting biological strategies of converting their enemies into allies through fungal infection. I imagine that the Church is going to get a wonderful first hand look at the war the Myconids work in the coming seasons. With that I bring a request.

If you have learned enough about the Necromancers and how their horrors against life function, perhaps working with the Church of acquire some myconid corpses will be worth your esteemed study and time. If this is not the case, I will not reach out unless I have a different hypothesis and experiment to pitch.

Your Eternal Student,

Grand Voice Jeleva.

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal MOR 10
    Show
    To Khasal:

We believe we have kept our promise of restoring some of your honour. Though we cannot fully remove ourselves from the war, from this point on we will be taking on a support role more than anything else.

If you require resources for the coming days, we are willing and happy to help.

Grand Voice Sylas, of the First Kyrsull Legion

Spoiler: To the Dwarf Hold: MOR 10
    Show
    To the Dwarves:

King Wildhammer,

I am unsure of the letter to write you as the smoke clears on Rivaness. I want to be congratulate you on a successful campaign and express sorrow for the people lost in a callus invasion of your homeland.

I know not the words to say, but we will have a drink of honour for your warriors when we meet this coming season, wherever it may be. I will bring something strong for the occasion.

Your Friend, Grand Voice Khal

Spoiler: To the Templars in Thanks: MOR 10
    Show
    To the Templars;

Thank you for your help in our success! Shortly after we reached out to you, we were reached out to behind closed doors about the third part of the artifact. We have seen its wonderful effect on the Northern Half of Kyrsull, though somewhat soured by the traps that had been laid in that land.

Though it may not have been the exact result we were expecting, you were integral to assembling an Artifact, and we are appreciative of your reasonable price. As compared to the other mission we needed to complete for the third piece (Which injured both myself and Grand Voice Myra)

We are in your debt, may your light ever burn bright.

Grand Voice Dawn

Spoiler: To the Ironfang Republic
    Show
    To the Ironfang Republic

It seems we have gotten some revenge for your troops in the past seasons. Wonderful work around the continent captains. Your hellforged legions are impressive.

I look forward to speaking with you later this season with the collective.

Grand Voice Khal

Spoiler: To the Legion of Balance MOR 0
    Show
    To the Legion of Balance:

So it continues then. Shame.

Grand Voice Sylas of the first Kyrsull Legion
    Last edited by Writtensanity; 2020-01-18 at 11:00 AM.

10. - Top - End - #160

DruidGuy

Spoiler: The Church of Truth Morale 7
    Show

Biomass. You jest to hide the pain of loss. Clearly the Legion & Shemesh did not sting you enough to stay away. Should you wish to bleed yourself of the few best and brightest you possess before facing the Legion, inform me and I will gut you as you pass through. But I am not an unreasonable fungi. Mine is not an unreasonable voice. An honest voice, even. Let this stand as a truth, spoken as one, not your discordent chorus. Let me be the vector for your exodus and the Legions...digestion.

Show

Willing to haggle for passage through my territories. It would certainly save you from a slugfest with me on your way to the Legion. What I'm offering:
    - free and safe passage through my borders to attack the Legion.
    - willing to allow for [12] or [7] but not both to be settled by the Church of Truth. If you decide on [7] I'm willing to help explore the area in between [7] and [61] with my adventurers. If you want [12] I can do the same with the mountain passes that connect [12] and [21]

What I want:
    - Use of 8 Econ or magic. One or the other.

Last edited by n0ble; 2020-01-18 at 11:34 AM.
    “Have no fear, you will find your way. It's in your bones. It's in your soul.”- Mark Z. Danieleweski, House of Leaves

11. - Top - End - #161
    Titan in the Playground

The Ironfang Republic
    Morale 7
    Reputation 7

Devil Hunters

"Come on jarhead, hop-along now!" The chorus of hissing laughter that accompanied Lander's comment was humiliation enough, but the implicit jibe at both his name and his gait were just unfairly personal. It wasn't like anyone else in his past cohort had walked away from the pale fire bomb they'd used to kill that glabrezu. Jar had had to give up a perfectly good tool-belt as well as a good chunk of his left leg to crawl out of that one. At least mage healing could mostly fix the leg - but you never knew when you'd need a good set of adamantine shears.

Well, soon it would be time to put Lander and the other fresh meat to the test. The orders had come down from on high: tonight they were hitting Xanur, Hell's Herald. He was one of Izoran's top lieutenants in his fiendish legions, and considered a high value target by both Oprak and the Collective. Thanks to the right divination and teleportation magic, the hunters had come to the Broken Shore with the instructions to simply do what they did best.

It was knife work that needed doing tonight, and there was no better than the Ear-Taker tribe. Well, Jar amended inwardly, perhaps no better in Oprak. But wait, there were always the Night Skulkers. And he couldn't forget the Quick Cleavers. The third best, then - he could settle for third best.

Signalling Lander and his group to take the long route along the western roofs, Jar began to crawl along the belfry wall that would take him to the courtyard overlook. As he moved, he took great pains to avoid the broken circle of runes atop the spire - let it not be said that the mages of Khasal had been discriminate in their infusion of magic with literally any artistic discipline, including architecture - and pointed out the hazard to the scouts that had fallen in behind him. They followed his every footstep, clambering over the stone with naught a sound.

Reaching his desired vantage point, Jar hunched as small as he could beneath the railing and got a good look at his target. The devils had turned the courtyard into a fortified encampment, including pits, palisades, and what looked like repositories of oil that they could light with their magics. He counted over a dozen bearded devil guards. Unfortunately, these fiends could see in the dark even better than Jar and his kin, so more... creative solutions had been necessary to obfuscate their approach. Two full patrols already lay dead in their team's wake.

"Okay, huddle up," he beckoned the others. Longears and Overbite had already pulled out their flatbows, loaded with cold iron bolts as per the armory's directive. "We're going to need to move fast. Once Lander's people are in position to take out a few of the guards, we can lure out Xanur when he comes to figure out why his guys are dying. Everyone ready?"

After a chorus of nods, Jar let his people get set up before settling in to wait. His little heart slowed as he breathed in and out. Now was the time. The first bolts rained down exactly on cue, even as the enemy was moving While three bearded devils were downed in a matter of seconds, the rest of the camp sprang into action. Devils appeared from the shadows along the ramparts, in the midst of the strike teams. It was quick butchery after that, Lander and his cave-mates bleating like goats as they were cut down.

Well, the proximity had certainly been a risk - it'd serve them right calling him jarhead anyhow.

The next thing he knew, Jar found himself turning and running down a nearby hallway as fast as his stubby little legs could take him, towards the chamber at the heart of the complex. Behind him, he could hear the roars of the fiends as they tore apart his brothers and arms. He couldn't cry for his fallen brothers - goblins did not, as a rule, have tear ducts - but he had to admire their tenacity in the face of a larger, stronger foe. It was the goblin way, to die honorably so that your superior officer could flee. He'd pray for their souls, should he live through the day.

As he turned the corner, Jar was forced to consider that such a prospect would be improbable at best. There, in the center of the corridor, stood a huge nine foot figure covered in horns and plate armor. Molten yellow slit eyes glared down at him balefully, as it wielded a halberd that looked to be nearly twice as long as he was tall. Hell's Herald had arrived. Xanur let out a deep chuckle that lingered in the darkness between the stone.

"Heh. Your Republic would send gnats like you to kill me? Do you even know who I am?"

Jar, after pausing to catch his breath, folded his back into a servile bow. "Of course, great one. You are Hell's Herald, one of the finest executioners of the lower planes. Truly, it is an honor to try and kill you today. In fact, I wager that you could -" Alas, Jar did not finish his sentence, for he was already diving for a crack in the adjacent wall that looked big enough for him to crawl through. He felt the thinning of air behind him as the blade of the enchanted halberd came down, followed swiftly by the thunderous cracking of rock.

Pushing his twisted body through the passage as quickly as he could, Jar eventually emerged in another wide space. This chamber was not a courtyard, although the stained glass ceiling had been cracked in many places, revealing a grey sky above. Soot-stained marble formed a wide circle around the middle of the hall, with only a single huge pair of double doors to the south. Only one way in or out - a very specific design.

Jar had perhaps ten seconds of respite before the doors crashed open, revealing his pursuer. Xanur strode into the chamber, flanked by the remnants of his honor guard. The horned devil pushed into the middle of the ring at the heart of the chamber. Jar did not move as the three devils slowly surrounded him. There was nowhere left to hide.

"It was a clever attempt, but you cannot outrun me, goblin. My essence is of Hell; I am everywhere at once. Your masters were fools to send you to this place to die. Your torment will not be swift, and you will find yourself wishing for the end before long."

... twenty six... Jar's face split into a savage grin. "You're right, of course; there was no way we were ever going to outrun you. But in all that teleporting around and killing all these people, you made one crucial mistake. Would you like to know what it is?"

"Enlighten me."

"You didn't get a tour guide." It was at that very moment that the latent runes in the chamber's floor began to emit a deep violet glow. Khasal had afforded his people with coordinates of their summoning circles, where they bound extradimensional entities into their service. Most of the sites were inactive without a mage on hand to use them... but it turned out that tasking sorcerers to link up and activate them remotely wasn't that hard. Within seconds, both Xanur and his guards were doubled over in pain, chains of coruscating purple energy binding them in place. They were helpless.

Jar had to admit that he enjoyed the look of sudden panic in the devil's eyes maybe a bit too much as he sauntered to a good position and pulled out his flatbow. Winching the lever back and loading the cold iron projectile took a moment, but he had all the time in the world. In the end, it took six bolts for Xanur to stop moving, and three apiece for each of his friends. He made sure to collect the commensurate ears for his trouble on his way out of the room. He had to live up to the tribal name, and what better recruitment strategy for younglings then showing off some trophies? He broke out into a low whistle as he began the long trek back to the command post.

It was going to be a good week after all.

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum

Lieutenant Eygara - formerly Blade-Peer of the Fourth Class - stared out at the forest of masts on the horizon, and wondered when she would see the Cinder Spire again.

The months that had followed her failure with the pilgrims of Shemesh had been tumultuous, and yet she had risen beyond what she had thought capable. After the summit had ended, her title had been stripped and she had been reassigned to run a training camp - a dishonor to most, but Eygara had taken it in stride. What better way to earn her way back into the good graces of the Council of Clans than to prove her excellence? And prove it she had; while she was hardly a master, her skills at combat in what was already being called the 'Immortal Style' had made her a passable adept at teaching young goblins how to wield a blade. Word of her name had reached Oprak, and she had risen in rank to become a sergeant under the new organizational structure.

Then the news came that the full armies of the Republic were gathering for a march to war. The Brotherhood of Sin had attacked a state that Oprak had deemed friendly, and in the assault thousands of goblins had been killed. The answer was as ferocious as it was unanimous: thousands of souls from across Rivaness swarmed the Republic's recruitment offices. As the officials in Oprak turned their coin towards equipping their new forces, they found that their ranks were filling with humans, dwarves, and other races as well as goblins. The pacts that the Republic had struck with the nations of their home continent were finally bearing fruit. In that wave of fervor, Eygara had been promoted to Lieutenant and placed in charge of a division of the new Third Legion.

Stories of the legendary First Legion - nicknamed 'Hellforged' - had inspired others to take up arms in one of the four current legions. Each body was purpose-fit to a different task, but they were all professional armies. At their hearts, each legion comprised of thousands of well-armed and trained hobgoblin soldiers, but that was no longer the extent of them. Great engines of war had been raised, as well as auxiliary units (both monstrous and otherwise). Harpy regiments, minotaur berserker squadrons, and the aforementioned human support teams comprised a healthy percentage of the Republic's available forces.

It had brought them here, to Beauvalais Island. The island's strategic placement had made it a perfect location for a naval base, and the fleet that Eygara now stared at was the largest assembly of such that she had ever seen before. Granted, the Republic was hardly a naval power - more than half of the vessels in the fleet were little more than troop transports - but she shivered when she imagined the host that was gathering under her country's banner. The red and silver knife and stars of Oprak now stood tall under General Azaersi's personal banner - the war hawk - atop the battlements of Fort Beauvalais. It was enough to make any soldier stand a little bit taller.

"Lieutenant? Are you still with us?" Her escort - a naga by the name of Zyn'era - had been explaining the local aquaflora and fauna. Eygara was hardly an expert on marine monsters, though she trusted that she could be called upon to fight or die well against a few.

"Of course, Magister. Please continue." Following the naga along the pier, Eygara forced herself to listen to the particulars and hazards of the journey to come. Knowing the dangers ahead was half of being a commanding officer, and she had a responsibility to her new post to learn as much as she could.

There would be time for reflection after the war was won.

Spoiler: To Silvermist
    Show
    Dearest Captain Goldfinder,

Your fiend-sponsored invasion of our peaceful continent of Rivaness has spoken volumes more than any words ever could. It is clear now to the Council of Clans that you no longer bear any good intention towards either the Ironfang Republic or its ally, the Kingdom of Khazn Durn. We have given you numerous chances to turn back from this path of self-destruction, and yet you heeded not our warnings. Instead, you have intertwined yourselves even further in the affairs of the sires of hell and its neighbors. Even as we will cut out the rot of the Brotherhood from this world, know that a chance may be offered to you and yours to avoid annihilation in the future. That being said, it is clear that your people have not yet learned how to fight a just war.

Therefore, it is with the heaviest of hearts that the Ironfang Republic must now declare itself opposed to you. As the dwarves march against you, so too do our soldiers. You may expect an armed reply to the question of morality before too long. We apologize in advance for the deaths that are to come, both on our side and your own.

With our greatest regrets,

Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued, Secretary General of the Republic

Show
    As of this moment, the Ironfang Republic is at war with Silvermist as well as the Brotherhood of Sin. While we have made a vow to fight the fiends until they are completely destroyed, you may treat with us in the future in order to revisit the declaration.

Spoiler: To the Nations of Rivaness (not including Silvermist)
    Show
    Dearest allies,

The Republic accepts the invitation to the Tetrahedron as a matter of course. For the sake of consistency, the same emissary who has treated with you will continue to do so, for as long as I am needed with the Council of Clans here in Oprak and our General is of more use at the head of our armies. He and his delegation shall pass the border into the Collective's territory within the week, and I have been instructed to pass along that he is looking forward to sitting down to discuss the current situation with you.

Best regards,

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal
    Show
    Dearest Maestro of Fallen Stars,

The Ironfang Republic would like to congratulate you for actions taken against the pernicious Brotherhood of Sin! Our reports indicate that the operation was a rousing success - to say their armies are decimated would be something of an understatement. Now it is only a matter of pressing the attack and finishing the job, so that no fiends can rise to threaten you or anyone else again. To that end, the Council of Clans has a proposition for you.

As recent acquisitions both at home and abroad have been fortunate for us, the Republic finds itself within its power to make what we believe to be a mutually advantageous trade. There is a mage's guild in the Freeport of Vallenor on our shores that has expressed desire to lend its support to the cause of Khasal. Word of your artists and intellectuals has traveled far, it seems. We would be happy sending them to join your own ranks, in exchange for representational power and ambassadors from your great city to aid in our conquests. If this agreement is amenable to you, please do not hesitate to reply.

Sincerely,

Show
    I am proposing a standing trade of [2 MAG] from me for [2 REP] from you, starting this turn. Both of us can use those stats better than the other.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-01-19 at 08:56 AM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)
    - Hell's Vengeance (Sebastian)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

12. - Top - End - #162
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: To the Fungal Combine: MOR 10
    Show

The loss was sadly not ours, but a friend new to this world. Incorporeal and likely not of interest to you considering that.

Your deal is interesting, though we have no want to coming through your lands in order to reach the Legion, the further we stay away from one another, the better, as it means no people of the Church are being consumed.

We are willing to negotiate to protect the peoples of the Church.

Enclosed is a counter offer.

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

The Church is Offering:

- No Open Borders Needed (We can sail across the lake to the Legion from 4)
    - Territory 7 to be taken by the Church (On turn 4 or 5)
    - Territory 12 to be taken by the Combine. (On turn 4 or 5)
    - The Combine does not need to use its adventuring to make paths.
    The Church is offering 6 Temp ECON for the guarantee that no harm will come to members of the Church from the Combine and no hard will come to the Combine from the Church in the coming seasons (Contract ends start of turn 5)

Additionally in the note there is a marking of tentative battle plans. The Church is looking at attacking 14 in the coming seasons to cut the Legion of Balance off from continuing their campaign into Shemesh. This would leave the Combine able to consume the Legion Through 61 or across the lake to 13.

13. - Top - End - #163
    Ogre in the Playground

Theocracy of Shemesh

Public message to the Church of the Truth Speaker

The messenger that had to travel to the Church of the Truth Speaker has to travel far less than before, which is bound to make communication easier. Unlike the previous season, this pilgrim and the others that move to the various nations with messengers, do not seem to suffer from the same type of exhaustion or dishoveled appearance as before. Only the everpresent specks of desert sand are dragged along the desert people of the Theocracy of Shemesh. Journeying to the Church of the Truth Speaker is the familiar face of a female pilgrim.

“Greetings, I am Nebtise from the Theocracy of Shemesh. I have come to bring a message to Grand Voice Sylas of the first Kyrsull Legion, or whoever will speak with me on behalf of the Church of the Truth Speaker.”

When she is led to either Grand Voice Sylas or another representative, Nebtise kneels down before the person, looking politely to their face. “Greetings, I am Nebtise from the Theocracy of Shemesh. I have come to bring you our deep gratitude for arriving and wishing to aid the Light of Shemesh in the time to come. The Theocracy of Shemesh looks forward to cooperate with the Church of the Truth Speaker. May Light and Voice banish the Darkness.”

“The Theocracy of Shemesh will accept any aid the Church of the Truth Speaker can give against the Legion of Darkness, in any fashion.”

“The plight you find yourself in is visible, with enemies at several places. I do not know where you wish to send your forces, but the Theocracy of Shemesh hopes you will send as much as you can spare to combat the Darkness.”

“It is no secret that the Theocracy of Shemesh fares poorly in offensive capabilities both in arms (Military) and word (Reputation), with neither having been able to stop the Legion of Darkness’ advance through the Theocracy of Shemesh in the past season. To banish the darkness and reclaim the territories the Legion took is a feat that lies far outside both the capability as well as strategic expertise of the Theocracy of Shemesh, therefore we hope that the Church of the Truth Speaker will offer help, both in forces as well as strategic plans. Whether it is best to defend or attack with arms and word, and where to attack, our people look to you for strategic expertise.”

Nebtise then clasps her hands before her, her hands and arms tensed as she pleadingly looks at the person before her. “I beg of you, let us work together in matters of faith. I, we, believe with the strength of the desert summer’s heat, with radiance as bright as Shemesh, that by cooperating in Faith (Morale), we can bring Light and Voice to banish Darkness! To weaken the Legion! With your support, the Theocracy of Shemesh will have everyone not fighting pour in all their prayer, their faith, to weaken Darkness! Join your prayer, your Word, your Chorus, with our prayers, and with Light and Voice we will drive back the strength of Darkness! Please, I beg of you, let our prayers be in harmony, let our Faith be intertwined to show that the Darkness is not a path to be followed!”

(OOC: Asking you for plans involving defending/taking territories. Begging, begging, for all your Morale to help fight the Legion of Darkness.)

Public message to the Ironfang Republic, the Astral Collective, Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn, the Free People of Khasal, the Pillar of Wisdom, the Templars of Our Burning Saviour, the City of Wraiths

A pilgrim arrives, robe in order, hair done, washed, and generally an effort seems to have been made to be representable. It’s hopefully the attempt that counts, because while far more representable than last season, it is obvious these are still messengers who have travelled a long way. The colour of the robe has dimmed with use and while there are no tears, or they are repaired, and the robe was likely new before starting the journey, it has seen the use of travelling through all kinds of weathers, from desert storm to rain and gust.

Each of them carries a papyrus scroll that confirms who they are, but in the language used it is obvious that the Theocracy of Shemesh is unused to bureaucracies such as present in for example the Ironfang Republic. It also includes way too many references to the Light of Shemesh, radiance, illuminance and other references to Light and Shemesh, clearly showing that it was written by devout priests instead of dedicated bureaucrats.

With a short prayer beforehand, they approach the various representatives of the nations and introduce themselves.

To the Ironfang Republic, a male pilgrim. “Greetings, I am Pasena from the Theocracy of Shemesh.”

To the Astral Collective, a female pilgrim. “Greetings, I am Tenwere from the Theocracy of Shemesh.”

To the Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn, a male pilgrim. “Greetings, I am Hotisha from the Theocracy of Shemesh.”

To the Free People of Khasal, a female pilgrim. “Greetings, I am Mosatny rom the Theocracy of Shemesh.”

To the Pillar of Wisdom, a male pilgrim. “Greetings, I am Samenpe from the Theocracy of Shemesh.”

To the Templars of Our Burning Saviour, a female pilgrim. “Greetings, I am Karety from the Theocracy of Shemesh.”

To the City of Wraiths, a male pilgrim. “Greetings, I am Nehapefrom the Theocracy of Shemesh.”

They will ask to deliver their message to the proper representatives, where they will reintroduce themselves, before kneeling down, clasping their hands and pleading.

“Please, please, I beg of you, the Darkness consumes all, lend the Theocracy of Shemesh your prayer so that we may banish the Darkness from Hanrui. We know there is much danger afoot, and that you have your own problems, your own enemies, yet I beg of you for whatever help you can spare. I beg of you for aid against the Legion of Darkness!”

Afterwards, the pilgrim will tell of horrific stories about the Legion of Darkness, how they murder the people of the Theocracy of Shemesh, commit horrible atrocities and burn and ransack villages, towns, cities. An all consuming darkness that threatens all that is light. That brings nightmares and foul savagery wherever it goes. A force of evil, of utter Darkness. Each of them will repeat their plea in earnest, begging for help.

(OOC: The Theocracy of Shemesh once again claims the Legion of Balance has 0 Reputation. Begging, begging for whatever Morale you can spare, to be used to help fight the Legion of Darkness.)
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2020-01-18 at 04:34 PM.

14. - Top - End - #164
    Barbarian in the Playground

RogueGuy

Silvermist

Spoiler: Retribution of the Betrayers "A play near you"
    Show
    Our story opens on the ocean, blue waves rock the boat gently back and forth. Ahead, the mist quickly approaches, for this is where home is to Grock. Long was his trip to and from the Ironfang, he missed the adventure of a lifetime. Untold treasure was found, something that would be of great significance to the possible ally Ironfang.

The boat pulls into the cove enough and young Grock leaps into the water! He swims ahead of rowboats and lands on the shore. There’s no time for him to waste, for there’s plenty of treasure to take. With gusto and pep, Grock begins the next step.

Deep in the heart of Kyrsull, Grock trekked alone through the ancient caverns. Monsters waited around every corner, but even beholders were no match for Grocks might. In the light of his blade, letters were made. For monsters above needed vanquishing. A request sent out for help in a bout, to the Republic for fighting and trade.

But oh, what a shame . Grock was betrayed. “I told you it was pointless.” His father’s point was made. “There is but one good use for us in this land. What this world needs is a Hero with sword in hand.”

Off again Grock delved deep in a cave. Alone, with abominations to fight and gold to be made. He wandered far into the tunnels with no light, save that of his balde. It was slow going for our Hero Grock ahd to tread carefully. Traps were laid all around, for the monsters here cared not for floors. They hovered and floated.

Finally, he found one feasting on giant spiders and rats. But its eye stalks saw Grock. Quick, he dove behind what used to be a wall, a second later and the ray would have gotten him instead. His heart raced, his blood boiled. He knew that this was it.

With the agility of a displacer beast, with the strength of a tarrasque, Grock leaped forward and shoved his sword into the eye of the beholder. There was only a small groan as it fell to the floor. He drug it from its lair and back to camp.
    Behold, camp was in turmoil, a great Kraken had been awakened. Grock tossed the beholder aside. He charged down to the sea, and lo there, what did he see? A great beast had come forth. He wasted no time in charging ahead of the men.

“To Grock! To Grock!” They called.

The Krakens might knew no bounds. But a match for Grock could not be found. He swam out against the current as it thrashed and devoured. Grock latched onto a tentacle and heaved itself onto the wretched beast. He climbed the trashing appendage. He clung to it for life as he was pulled and twisted, but he made it to the base.

Grock plunged his sword deep into the beast. He cut wide and climbed inside. He dug and ate his way to the center of the beast and cut into the Kraken’s beating heart. The blood flowed in such great quantities that Grock was washed out of the beast and back to the sea.

And so it stood that Silvermist was free.

From that monster. But just wait for act three.

Spoiler: Ironfang Republic: Mor 0
    Show
    My apologies, I did not know that you were the ruler of the whole of your Island. It was rude of me to preemptively attack those who have declared war on me. What a shame that you must now find yourself at war with your old ally for doing exactly as I have done.

I jest.

Hold no fear that I hold you in such regards as to be above a hypocrite.

Spoiler: The Church of the Voice and Truth Seeker: MOR 0
    Show
    An annoying side effect of war is that territories are threatened on both sides of the conflict. Your absence from the art of warfare makes it understandable that you might not understand this concept. It is vastly different from the conquering and enslavement of free territories.

Tell me, how did the screams sound when your victims learned that they would meet your god now if not in the future?
    Last edited by LimSindull; 2020-01-18 at 09:17 PM.
    "I'll get a cool quote, just you wait."
    Here is the backdrop to the first Campaign in my Titan Blood World.
    Bastilonis

15. - Top - End - #165
    Orc in the Playground

Free City of Khasal

Khasal sang, and the song was death.

The hissing fire of a thousand funeral pyres was joined by the whistling of the furious and roiling wind which sustained them, and the hundreds upon hundreds of chimes and bells it coursed through, and the innumerable cymbals and flutes and drums played by those who had made them, and above all by the echoing, sibilant chorus of the City’s magisters and theurges.

The devils had turned the city into a slaughterhouse, human sacrifice on a massive scale.

The Army of Liberation had reclaimed it as a cry for vengeance, a bloody demand for merciless redress.

And these are two of the Abyss’ very favorite things.

The masses wailed and gnashed their teeth in grief, and those most overcome by passion threw themselves upon the prismatic flames, swiftly consumed by the fragrant and noxious smoke.

The smoke rose high into the air and refused to dissipate, the trail of each flame seeking its fellows and intertwining. The City was taken from warm spring day to airless and apocalyptic night as it blotted out the sun, roiling and sculpting itself into the most natural form.

A grand a terrible seven-winged wyrm. Askopar, the Harrowing Gale, the Scourge of Souls. His most terrible aspect, drawn halfway into reality, for just long enough to express himself upon the world.

With a joyous, musical roar that would have deafened any too close, he beat his insubstantial wings and tore himself from the ritual. In moments, he was beyond the horizon and across the sea, towards the prey he had been offered.

The first to fall were in ships laden with pillage and slaves taken from the dwarven lands, halfway back to Kyrsul and full of fiends eager to enjoy their ill-gotten spoils. Their ramshackle ships were swept and overturned by the sudden wind, and those slaves would be the first to enjoy the privilege of seeing a chain devil shriek in terror as the Scourge swept through them, separating essence from body and dragging their truest self into the storm, component and companion of the Titan’s ritual-body.

It was a brutal sort of enlightenment, and one visited freely upon the hundreds and thousands of Legion Devils and Arrow Demons and Barbazus who had thrown themselves onto the shores of Rivainess. It is, after all, one thing for the proud iconoclast or ascetic to forsake all worldly ties and possessions and make themselves a companion of the nomad’s went.

Quite another to have all your treasured loves and hatreds, cherished possessions and gruesome trophies, and all of yourself bound up in them, torn away from you in one violent motion. Left as insubstantial as the wind carrying you to the far corners of the earth, and far less powerful. Memory and passion bleeding out from all your souls open wounds, last shreds of identity constantly buffeted and on the verge of being overwhelmed by the raw sensation of the earth.

Violent death would allow any fiend worth the name to reform safe and sound, ready for the next campaign of atrocity. So instead, they have been given the world.

Forever.

Morale 2, You Can Almost Certainly Read Everything

Spoiler: City of Wraiths
    Show

The sealed envelope contained two letters, one clearly more recent than the other. The first reads

It saddens me to say that my younger brother has been killed by fiendish intrigue mere hours before he could have set foot in a liberated Khasal. Still, among his effects I found this letter, and having consulted his ciphers I find his ideas sound. Your aid in these past seasons will be remembered, and I hope the partnership you forged with him can continue beyond his passing.

May your flesh never be a prison,
    Lia Misri, Beloved of the Architect, Weaver in Blood and Bone

The Second

To the Grand Duke of Death,

I must thank you again for your hospitality these past months of exile, and for your commitment to our mutual projects, whose results I, at least, continue to be amazed by. While I of course must spend some time aiding in the rebuilding and reorganization of my City, if you think that our mutual project remains productive, I would love to return to Nex, say on the 8th of the next month?

For myself, I would say that continuing to work on the same method as the previous months would result in pure profit, but given your position I can see that you might prefer to return to our original practice, and I would not oppose that in the slightest. What would you say?

Sincere Regards,
    The People’s Friend, and Yours
    The Esteemed Corin Letarra, Ambassador-in-Exile of the Free City of Khasal

Spoiler: Ironfang Republic
    Show

Hail Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued,

The fiendish legions are burning in pyres and scattered to the ends of the earth, but the threat remains, and I will not sleep until he has been bound to a fate darker than his native hell. It gladdens me to know that your Republic is as resolute.

Your offer is fair, and your mages will be welcomes as students and witnesses to the remaking of Khasal, for as long as they care to remain.

-The Magnificent Vyas Araya, Maestro of Falling Stars, Captain-General of the Army of Liberation

Spoiler: All Except Brotherhood of Sin, Silvermist, Fungal Combine, Jade Wizard
    Show

Hail to the Princes of the Earth!

In the course of the current war, my dear friend of countryman, the Esteemed Friend of the People, has been murdered in his bed by fiendish intrigue. And to compound the tragedy, he has no known heirs, and the Assembly will take some months to dispose of his estates.

But his favoured dagger he left to me, and it saddens me to say that I cannot truly use it. And so I will dispose of it how he would have wanted, and sell it to the highest bidder.

Show

I’ve got a +1 Dagger of Assassination without much use for it, and am offering it in exchange for any of the following

+1 Military Item
    5 Temp Econ
    Use of 5 Magic, Military or Espionage for a turn
    Your Best Offer

Last edited by St.Just; 2020-01-19 at 04:09 PM.
    The world was born in flame and art,
    The world was born – then torn apart.
    Creation’s sorrow rent the sky
    T​o know all things would cool and die​.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: To the Church of the Truth Speaker (MOR 8)
    Show

To the most esteemed Grand Voice Dawn,

We have heard reports of the wondrous happenings in your lands. His Templars wish to congratulate you on your success; completing a lost, splintered artifact is no small deed.

Know that there is no debt, for you paid our price, and no use would be had for the tree to stay apart. Know also that we consider the Church of the Truth Speaker partners in cooperation, and we believe there will be many more opportunities in our future to work for our mutual benefit.

Glory to the Flame,
    Vestis of House Ionlar, High Priestess of the Cult of Our Burning Saviour

In the Citadel of Perseverance

Karety was, for a long time, left standing in a hall with great dark arches, on the cold marble floor. Her papyrus scroll was obviously studied very thoroughly, before the Templars decided what to do with her.

After some time, an Oracai came into the hall, in red, intricately embroidered robes, wearing a golden breastplate and a scimitar at his side. His armour and face bore many scars, and the brand marks of dedication.

He looked down upon her as she knelt, listening and judging.

"Who are you?" he spoke, "And what are you going to do?"
    He took a step forward, now almost standing too close for comfort for the kneeling woman.
    "You do not work, you pray. You do not improve, you pray. You do not fight, you pray. You are weak, and you yourselves are the architects of your weakness. You do not realise that your god smothers you with his commandments. Now you expect others to do your work?" He shook his head, almost as if in disbelief.

"The followers of Shemesh seem to have the souls of slaves. Perhaps it is time for you to accept your natural place in the world."
    He looked down at Karety, and he obviously expected an answer.

Spoiler: The Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn (MOR 8)
    Show

To the most esteemed King Thurgin Wildhammer,

welcome to the lands known to some as Kyrsull. His Templars wish to congratulate you on your conquest, and to thank you for ridding us of that dreadful realm of dishonourable cutthroats bordering our lands. We have heard of the honour of the dwarves and know you will be more agreeable neighbors for Our Saviour's Crusade.
    Know that we have no aspirations to the lands west of Old Balam.
    Know also that we look forward to cooperation and trade.

Glory to the Flame,

Spoiler: The Fungal Combine (MOR 8)
    Show

Templar forces are spotted preparing a campaign to the northern lands.
    Show

I am going to take territory 12 as per our deal. I assume it still stands, of course.

Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-01-19 at 03:54 AM.

17. - Top - End - #167
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

"You know," Blackburn started to his companion on guard duty, "it's not too far 'cross the border if we wanna go see that Grock show when we're on leave."

"I don't really see the point," Mira responded. Blackburn frowned, ever since he'd switched up his shift he'd been missing Holbook and Mira saying no to everything he offered wasn't helping.

"Well, why not? Hangin' out after work would be a way to give us somethin' to talk about during the long shift,"

"I haven't heard good reviews," Mira pointed out and shook her gauntlet, "I've heard that without a third act the play is unsatisfactory." Blackburn could hear her shrug as her armor clanked. "Plus there are lots of things I would like to talk about.

"The wars?" Blackburn asked.

"Naturally," she answered.

"And you never wanna talk 'bout anything else?" he pressed.

"We are surrounded by enemies on all sides here in Kyrsull, I don't think there is a lot extra to talk about."

"Yeah yeah," Blackburn frowned under his helmet and ended the conversation with his silence. It had been three weeks since the full surrender of Daitoii to the Church and he was one of the few people he knew who wasn't hearing the Voice. Sure, he'd heard good things about Whispers in their heads but there wasn't a Voice in his and- well damn. Everyone who had that Voice in their head seemed to know exactly what they wanted and needed all the time. They were organized, they didn't wanna laugh and go see a bad play when they could have a drink at the fort tavern because 'Only one of those breeds comraderies'.

Blackburn sighed, he was bein' mean again. He really only had a problem with Mira, not everyone. Mom had always told him to never take out your anger on people who didn't deserve it. Plus, it wasn't like Mira deserved it either, she was just straight laced as a pastor and he still wasn't.

"Would you like to leave early tonight?" Mira asked.

"What?" Blackburn answered.

"She's telling me you're stressed. We would be fine for the next half hour if you take a break and go join whoever you want to join," Mira elaborated, "my treat."

"Uh I-" Blackburn wasn't quite sure how to respond to that. That being said he wasn't about to say no to getting a drink early with the lads off fort. "Sure thing."

Spoiler: To Silvermist MOR 0
    Show

We are more than familiar with war. The Church has showed the Voice to mightier nations than a rag-tag group of adventurers propped up by Demons. I am just not personally well versed in the tactic of claiming land an strait away while your capital stands on the edge of destruction from foreign armies.

We try to find peaceful solutions where possible, and we think the only one at this point is for you to surrender to the coalition of the Free City, the Astral Collective, and the Dwarves, there does not seem to be much of a future with the devils.

As for the screams? I have heard many in my day, but knowing that they will hear the Voice in a moment means I don't think about them.

Grand Voice Sylas.

Spoiler: To Shemesh MOR 10
    Show

We cannot discuss these sensitive matters in a public forum. WE request a more subtle form of communication of literal battle plans.

Show

Either commit a VIP or use that ~10000 MOR to hide some messages from the legion if you want the wartime conversation to continue.

18. - Top - End - #168
    Ogre in the Playground

Theocracy of Shemesh

Public message to the Templars of Our Burning Saviour

“I am Karety. My work is everlasting, for each moment of the day I work in the Light and let my path me illuminated by Shemesh. Each day, I learn what might bring my closer to the Light, each day I work hard so I may be more radiant than before. With my torch, my lantern and my candle, I fight darkness at every turn, driving it away. I am strong, for I will walk the world with Shemesh with me, going where others give up out of thirst, hunger or heat. Shemesh does not command, Shemesh shows in Light.”

“I pray to Shemesh, so all may see the Light. I do not work a trade as others do who travel as me. I am no merchant, but pray, offering my faith to uplift the spirits of others, so we may all walk with a lighter step. I pray to Shemesh, so my path is illuminated ahead of me. I not develop skills and train as others do who travel as me. I am no sailor, but pray, offering my faith to let the light illuminate the path of others, so none of us may go astray. I pray to Shemesh, so I may be protected. I do not build forts as others do who travel as me. I am no legionnaire, but pray, offering my faith so others may be protected.”

“My natural place in the world is in the Light of Shemesh, wherever I may be.”

“Darkness consumes the Light, yet the Light will be stronger than Darkness, for where a single source of light Light may be extinguished, may be covered, may be taken away, Light in itself is forever more radiant than Darkness ever will be.”

“I beg for your help, so that this struggle against Darkness is shortened, so that you never need deal with the atrocities of the Legion of Darkness, so that Light, as cast by Shemesh, as cast by the Burning Saviour, will prevail over Darkness.”

Public message to the Church of the Truth Speaker

“Then let us not discuss.”

“I beg of you to offer your prayer to us to fight the Legion of Darkness.”

Nebtise then rises once more.

“Hereby, the Theocracy of Shemesh declares the Church of the Truth Speaker to be its friend, our home is your home. Our borders are open to the Church of the Truth Speaker. May you travel safely in the Light of Shemesh.”

“We have heard of a strange new forest in Permedj Beach (territory 55), which is affiliated to you? Whatever dwells there, the Theocracy of Shemesh declares its borders open to it. May the travels be safely in the Light of Shemesh.”

“I will listen and bring your command to the Theocracy of Shemesh. Our armies and diplomats are at your disposal, for you to see fit to attack or defend. We rely on your expertise for other instructions.”

(OOC: For as long as the Theocracy of Shemesh considers the Church of the Truth Speaker its friend, the Church may consider them allied for purposes of a joint Domination Victory and the Theocracy’s borders open. The Theocracy of Shemesh’ borders are open to whatever it is in Permedj Beach as well. For this turn, the Military and Reputation of the Theocracy of Shemesh are offered to the Church of the Truth Speaker. Still begging for morale support. For other instructions, you do the talking.)

Public message to whatever is in Permedj Beach

A female pilgrim arrives. “Greetings, I am Tati the Theocracy of Shemesh.”

The pilgrim will ask to deliver their message to the proper representatives, where they will reintroduce themselves.

“We have heard you are a friend of the Church of the Truth Speaker. Know that our borders are open to you, for as long as long as the Theocracy of Shemesh considers the Church of the Truth Speaker its friend.”

Then, the pilgrim kneels down, clasping her hands and pleading.

“Please, please, I beg of you, the Darkness consumes all, lend the Theocracy of Shemesh your prayer so that we may banish the Darkness from Hanrui. We know there is much danger afoot, and that you have your own problems, your own enemies, yet I beg of you for whatever help you can spare. I beg of you for aid against the Legion of Darkness!”

Afterwards, the pilgrim will tell of horrific stories about the Legion of Darkness, how they murder the people of the Theocracy of Shemesh, commit horrible atrocities and burn and ransack villages, towns, cities. An all consuming darkness that threatens all that is light. That brings nightmares and foul savagery wherever it goes. A force of evil, of utter Darkness. The plea will be repeated in earnest, begging for help.

(OOC: Begging, begging for whatever Morale you can spare, to be used to help fight the Legion of Balance.)
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2020-01-19 at 05:01 AM.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

In the Citadel of Perseverance, with the Theocracy of Shemesh (please treat as MOR 8 inplay)

"You spout nothing but platitudes. Learn that prayers are worth nothing without action." the Cleric replied with disdain. "Look around you. Shemesh's light is dying, swallowed by the darkness. You do nothing but beg. Shall I fetch the purple silks for you? Aren't you embarrassed by your weakness? Have you no Pride? No Honour?"

His voice grew louder with each word; the Oracai opened his clawed fist and slapped the Pilgrim across her face, hard, so that she fell to the floor.

"Is your cause worth fighting?"

He took a step back, opened his arms wide, lowered his scarred head and laid his eyes upon her face, his expression an open challenge.

"Show us some spirit, pilgrim! Stand up and FIGHT!"

Spoiler: To All
    Show

Greetings.

The Templars of Our Burning Saviour lay claim on the lands to our Northwest (12), as it is a natural part of Our Saviour's crusade's territory.

Glory to the Flame,

Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-01-19 at 07:13 AM.

20. - Top - End - #170
    Ogre in the Playground

Theocracy of Shemesh

In the Citadel of Preserverance of the Templars of Our Burning Saviour

The pilgrim looks sad as the cleric mentions Shemesh’ light is dying, but looks puzzled at the ference of purple silks. When Karety was slapped hard across the face, she had not seen it coming, and she fell by the power of the blow. She arose from the ground. If she was in pain, she was not showing. Her eyes met that of the Oracai.

“I have Shemesh. I am embarrassed I cannot do more to fight the darkness, but I follow the Light on the path towards you.”

As the vulture-like figure before her spurred her to action, issued his challenge, he could see the determination in Karety’s eyes, dedicated to Shemesh.

“If that is what you wish.”

Karety took a deep breath and looked towards the ceiling. “Shemesh illuminates. Shemesh radiates. Shemesh protects.” She clenched her hands into fists, holding her arms before her. She took a restful pose, standing straight as if meditating, lacking the balance of a proper combat stance. Taking another breath, she moved forward, her eyes flaring with dedication, trying to punch the Oracai.

Yet in her moves, it was obvious that she had no combat training, let alone experience. Throwing a punch forward, too soon, unbalanced, it was easy to dodge, or even take the blow and feel the lack of the person throwing the punch being able to use their body to bring strength to bear. Karety was a commoner in the field of combat, and it showed. She knew she had no chance, having seen the scars upon her opponents face, his claws visible. Yet, she threw herself in with dedication, her cause worth fighting for.

21. - Top - End - #171
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

In the Citadel of Perseverance, with the Theocracy of Shemesh (please treat as MOR 8 inplay)

The Oracai took the blow without any reaction - he had expected that the pilgrim had next to no combat experience. Grabbing her throat, he stopped her attack in its tracks. He raised his other hand, and the plodding of several pairs of bare feet was heard as a group of dark elf women in purple silks moved into the hall, carrying a small cask of burning coals with an iron poking out. The slaves put it down next to the Oracai, who then let go of the pilgrim.

"Very well." the Cleric spoke, his voice now calm. "There is still hope your Theocracy is as dedicated as its servants. Bring this as a message to the Faithful of Shemesh - find your courage, strike back at your enemies, and prove that you are worthy of saving."

The Oracai took the hot iron from the cask, and brought it before Karety's face.
    "Are you willing?"
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-01-19 at 11:14 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172
    Ogre in the Playground

Theocracy of Shemesh

In the Citadel of Preserverance of the Templars of Our Burning Saviour

As the Oracai grabbed Karety’s throat, she gasped but did not relent, offering a fierce stare. When he let go of her, she gasped for air and coughed, but then looked at him with the same fierce stare and watched the scene before her unfolded. With strength in her face, Karety spoke, unyielding as she looked at the Oracai.

“I am willing to carry your message in the Light to the Faithful of Shemesh.”
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2020-01-19 at 02:52 PM.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Orc in the Playground

Free City of Khasal

Morale 2, so everyone in CC’d
    Spoiler: Church of the Speaker
    Show

Hail to Sylas, and that which speaks through her,

Your efforts these past months will be remembered, and it is no shame to say that three wars are enough to occupy yourself with. My own forces and those of the City should prove worthy of cleansing the devils from Hanrui, and the aid of the Republic it is over but for the marching.

I hope the fiends your Voice has bound prove themselves useful.

May your dreams burn themselves unto the world,
    The Magnificent Vyas Asraya, Maestro of Falling Stars, Captain-General of the Army of Liberation

Spoiler: Theocracy of Shemeh
    Show

The pilgrim is, after a good deal of confusion and debate by those scouts who intercepted her, led through the ruins of Khasal to a grand plaza now repurposed as something between hospital, temple and laboratory. There, she is met by the Exalted Lia Misri, presently dressed in a marilith-skin dress and accompanied by what had at one point been one of Izoran’s favoured necromancers, and was now a tragic sort of lizard-dog, its cancerous and rupturing flesh a convenient source of vital biomass.

The elven fleshcrafter listens with a vague sort of interest to Mosatny’s tales of woe, a slight smile coming across her face at all the lurid descriptions of horrific atrocities, before finally responding

“Does this seem a city well-placed to give charity, or I a woman inclined to do so? The Legion are legalist fanatics and a danger to all within their reach, but they are avowedly not my enemy, of whom I already have far too many to allow empty platitudes to move me to war. If they stay behind high mountains and exhaust themselves slaughtering nattering pilgrims, why should I not let them?”

She paused for a moment, tilting her head as she considered the pilgrim for a moment “-but I suppose at least a few of your number might be worth mourning, if the great, useless mass of you has not succumbed to the elements and feral beasts. My City must be rebuilt, and I require acolytes and ritualists. Can you or your absentee god contribute to either cause?”

Spoiler: Templars of the Burning Savior
    Show

To High Priestess Vestis of House Ionlar,

Thank you for the hospitality, glad we could come to an informal sort of understanding. Busy for the moment, obviously, but hopefully I can host you here once the City looks like itself again.

Now, the reason I’m actually writing-some of the companies I’ve somehow ended up managing are unlikely to find anything to do with themselves these coming months. The City, meanwhile, dearly needs money or spells for reconstruction, or strong men (birds?) with swords to keep it from getting sacked again. I thought you might have the opposite sort of problem?

Anyway, thanks for the tea,
    Atena
    Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Basically offering a trade of 1 point of adv for 1 eco, mil or mag, this turn. Would also accept esp, come to think of it.

24. - Top - End - #174

RangerGuy

The Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn

The invasion had gone well and had been successful. As the dwarves had hoped, much of the population of Silvermist's territory joined forces with the dwarves and overthrew their gnomish oppressors. Those who did not were easily defeated by the massive host of dwarven shields, crossbows and siege weapons.

Gradually, fliers continue to spread throughout the territory of Silvermist, and are eventually carried to other nations by merchant caravans.

Spoiler: Flier
    Show

But somehow their fleet had managed to completely miss an opposing invasion fleet on their way across the ocean, and reports were now flowing in that the dwarven port had been sacked by demons.

When told of the enemy invasion, King Thurgin frowns. "Throw the bastards back int' the sea. Drown th' lot o' 'em."

Spoiler: To the Nations of Rivaness (Not the Brotherhood or Silvermist) (Mor 9)
    Show
    To the friends of the Dwarves,

Now is not the best time for me to leave my capital. It would not display the appropriate level of resolve expected of a king. I am sending Forgemaster Kargrin Firehammer in my stead.

My apologies for not being able to attend in person.

King Thurgin Wildhammer

Spoiler: To The Templars of Our Burning Savior (Mor 9)
    Show
    To Vestis of House Ionlar, High Priestess,

Greetings to you as well. The dwarves have no aspirations in Old Balam either, and we had planned to offer the territory to you had you not taken it this past season as a gesture of goodwill.

Our only purpose here is to deliver justice to those who have attacked our friends and allies after casting falsehoods.

We also look forward to future cooperation and trade with the Templars.

With Honor,
    King Thurgin Wildhammer

25. - Top - End - #175
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

"So be it." The Cleric laid his clawed hand on her shoulder, and held her in place.
    "Then let pain be your teacher, not your destruction."
    Slowly, he brought the red-hot iron between them.

"That way lies salvation."

With a precise movement, he slightly cut her left cheek with the sharp iron stick, then pressed it down for a couple of seconds, holding the pilgrim firmly in his grasp, the expression around his beak unmoving, serene, even, as her flesh burned.

When he let go, he put the iron back into its cask.
    "Leave now, and share this lesson with yours."

He turned away, and left Karety alone.

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal (MOR 8)
    Show

To Atena,

it was a pleasure and privilege to be your host, and the prospect of visiting Khasal once it is restored sounds delightful indeed.

Of course His Templars are willing to lend you help in restoring Khasal to its former glory. I have seen to it that a detachment of Veteran Clerics (ooc: 1 MAG) will board a vessel to your shores soon.

Our Saviour's Crusade is always in need of strong arms, and we could surely make use of them in one of our expeditions.

Glory to the Flame, and to sharing the next pot of tea in an arisen Khasal,

26. - Top - End - #176
    Titan in the Playground

The Ironfang Republic
    Morale 7
    Reputation 7

Spoiler: To the Theocracy of Shemesh
    Show
    Dear faithful of Shemesh,

We have once more received one of your own pilgrims, who has opined at great length about the dangers of the Legion of Balance to your people in Kyrsull. Unfortunately, the Republic is neither prepared for or willing to discuss the matters of potentially attacking a foreign power in such a public forum - your pilgrim was hardly discreet in their approach to Oprak.

While the Republic's leadership is open to the idea of opposing the Legion of Balance, we should express to you that our nation is currently involved in a war against not one, but two powers on Kyrsull already. We expect to be largely engrossed in such a conflict for some time, and cannot promise any aid except for words and censure. All the same, we have pledged aid to our Rivanesi allies, among whom numbers the Church of the Truth Speaker, a group that we understand is currently running to your rescue. Should missives from you pass through their gates, I am confident that the Council of Clans would be more open to their contents.

Sincerely,

Spoiler: To the Templars of the Burning Saviour
    Show
    The missive arrives several weeks into the new season by way of ship from Fort Beauvalais [37]: it is a letter accompanied by a chest that is revealed to be full of silver and precious gems mined from the Crystalforge and beneath the Lantern Hills of Rivaness [1 temp ECO].

Dear High Priestess Vestis of House Ionlar,

It is my pleasure to write to you from Oprak. Although the Ironfang Republic has struck a non-aggression pact with your people, we have yet to truly exchange any form of business or tokens of friendship. That matter ends today, as the Council of Clans would like to extend to you a potential business opportunity.

It is our understanding that your forces mean to take [12] within the year, the better to secure the bounty therein. Such a prospect would be heartening for the Republic, as it presents you with a generous position on Kyrsull. Although our operations in the past months have been focused in the high northern valleys, a few of our scouts discovered an old fortress by the name of Castle Rabak at the head of a pass that leads from the territory you are about to conquer right into the heartlands controlled by the adventurers of Silvermist.

Simply put, negotiations with the adventurers have soured greatly over the past months. It is unfortunate, but they have acted rashly in several of our interactions and have proven unreliable, unruly sorts. The Republic prefers to deal with those who understand the meaning of order and promises kept - our alliance with the Dwarves of Khazn Durn and the Church of the Truth Speaker are testament to that worldview. It is our belief that the Templars are another such power, and we would like to be the first to offer you a blow at Silvermist's very foundations in the near future.

All we ask is that after you have secured your side of the passes and Castle Rabak, that you perhaps help our dwarven friends in... reminding the people of Kyrsull of the rule of law. To help sweeten the deal, we have sent a sample of our treasury, with a promise of more to come should events unfold in our favor. The Council of Clans has nothing but the utmost respect for your people, and wishes to continue to promote good relations with you in the future. We hope that you and your leaders feel the same way. Please do not hesitate to send your reply to me at your earliest convenience.

Sincerely,

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal
    Show
    Greetings, Tyrant of the Broken Shore,

Although I'm aware that the Secretary-General has already written to you and your people, I thought I might extend my own personal support. Now that the Brotherhood's armies have been wiped out from the face of these realms, it will be our pleasure to march to Kyrsull and take the fight to the remnants ourselves. I'd like to offer my own thanks as well, for your help in setting up our operations against the hordes these past few months. Our scout and sapper regiments could not have won the day without the coordination of your mage-circles.

I look forward to sharing a toast of victory with you in refurbished Khasal. When the threat has been dealt with, we may want to speak of a future where the people of your nation and my own are friends in truth, not just comrades in arms.

- General Azaersi

Spoiler: To the Pillar of Wisdom and the Wraiths
    Show
    Dear confederates and de facto rulers of Nex,

Although our attentions have been set elsewhere, it is my duty to inform you as a representative of the Council of Clans that the goblin people of Oprak and our great nation are not unaware of the struggles that you two are currently undergoing. Although given the rather secretive nature of your respective areas of expertise have reduced information from Nex to a veritable crawl, it is our understanding that there is conflict between your nations. Past attempts on our part to expand our existing independent deals of non-interference with either of you into proper dealings have been rebuffed on the grounds of mutual exclusivity.

All the same, the Republic's quest for peace - or at least a temporary armistice - is undeterred. We believe that friendship between powers is more prosperous for all than conflict. As such, our people are prepared to offer our services as a... mediator of sorts, a neutral party with the eventual aim to broker peace between your nations. Our diplomats are currently engaged, but we would be prepared to sit down with both of you in the coming season to speak further of peace and its profits. Please feel free to reply to me in Oprak by spell or scroll at any time.

Sincerely,

Show
    While I realize that I am addressing an NPC nation and a current GM-controlled PC, I am still extending an offer for private representation via PM for during Turn 5. I hope that the player for the Wraiths, at least, will be back before the Turn 5 EoT.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-01-21 at 01:33 PM.
    Spoiler: My Profile
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.
    Currently Active Games:
    - Total War: Rise of Kingdoms (Ironfang Republic)
    - Hell's Vengeance (Sebastian)

"The philosophers have only interpreted the world in various ways; the point is to change it."

27. - Top - End - #177
    Ogre in the Playground

Legion of Balance
    Public
    Rep 1

Lady Rivva Darkseeker scowls as she tries to rub away the headache beginning to form in her temples. These pilgrims were a pain to deal with, the Lady commands but their Lady did not have to deal with swarms of righteous pilgrims coming out of the woodwork everywhere in Legion territories. The attempted conversions, exaggeration of war crimes, begging and pleading to every nation that would gear them.

The One silver lining was that finally more worthy opponents had come to Kyrsull to fight, the Church finally deigning to come fight the war they had been challenged to. With the Church and the Dwarves here finally the rest of Riveness would be sure to follow. Still though, while the Legion needed to fight these wars they did not need to fight like unstoppable idiots. That was the job of the Brotherhood across the mountain. Rivva begins to pen messages to the nations of the world.

Nations of Hanrui,

The Theocracy would have you believe we are an unstoppable scourge to the world. That we would drown the world in darkness and snatch away all that is light. This merely shows their ignorance in matter beyond their own faith. We take part but not all we balance not destroy, we fight and we protect. We fight for Balance not for the destruction of all that is good, we would no more destroy a nation whole then we would abandon our goddess.

That Shemesh now beg from nations for aid when they were ready to sell all of you out to save themselves speaks truly of their character. Remember that when they beg for aid to 'fight the darkness' there is no fight among these pilgrims. Only the desperate need for survival and their own god before all else.

We have no more need with the Pilgrims now that the forces of Riveness have landed. Tend to your flocks and beg for Balance to be found, we are done with you. The next year may bring new war, but for now pray to your god in peace.

Lady Rivva Darkseeker

OOC: Legion has Rep 1. Legion is also ceasing hostilities with Shemesh for Turn 4 and 5, unless provoked, to focus on other forces of good now in reach.

Now for the good stuff. Rivva dips her quill into ink once more, more enthused then she had been for months.

To The Ironfang Republic, Pillar of Wisdom, Dwarves of Khazn Durn and the Astral Collective

We would meet you now in war, we see no give in your policies. Your forces fight for the side of good no matter how you portray yourselves. We would meet you on the battlefield of Kyrsull with honor and fight for Balance.

Spoiler: Church of the Truth Speaker
    Show
    Now that you have landed we can finally meet you on the battlefield. If you are wiling to fight we will leave the battlefield out of the Theocracy of Shemsh for the next year (2 turns) if they do the same. They have paid for the balance in blood and it is now time for you and your allies of Riveness to do the same.

Pillar of Wisdom
    Mor 5

Spoiler: Church of the Truth Speaker
    Show
    Greetings to the Church,

The Pillar has trouble believing such a self professed force of good has waited so long to contact us, the foremost experts on the influences of evil and its spread. Thankfully you offer proper respect in the form of new subjects to study.

We have often pondered on the devices of the Myconoids and their strange abilities. We had been planning on a study of some of the influential members of the Hive and their conversion and loyalty metrics. If it is possible to turn Hive members against their Queen through combinations of mind manipulation and experimentation then we would be fools not to try.

We are not willing to work with the Church in this regard since we plan very close tot he chest but thank you for future gifts of test subjects. If you could be troubled to send us a living subject from the converted devils you have gained it would be most appreciated.

Sincerely,
    Arcturus
    The Jade Wizard,
    Master of the Pillar,
    Bulwark of Good

Show
    Greetings,

While we welcome the contact from an esteemed nation such as yourselves we are stunned to such a forward thinking progressive nation attempting to treat with a nation of wraiths and necromancers. For a nation espousing such ideals as peace you and your allies are involved in all the wars currently taking place in Hanrui.

We need no mediation with Wraiths of such an evil nature and when our current experimentation ends we will return to the Wraiths as one returns to a tumer that has grown back and must be excised.

Sincerely,
    Arcturus
    The Jade Wizard,
    Master of the Pillar,
    Bulwark of Good

Spoiler: The Theocracy of Shemesh
    Show
    The secretary of the Tower sniffs as she looks over the Pilgrim. "Well at least you look more presentable then the last one. Assuming you have the proper articles of diplomacy and a formal message would you please present it to the tower?"

Wraiths
    Mor 12

Show
    Greetings

We have no issue with mediating with the Pillar but we would require control of Nex in entirety and for reparations for our lost brother who was almost assuredly taken by them. They may be moved elsewhere in Hanrui but if they remain we have no other options.

Spoiler: Khasal
    Show
    Greetings to our erstwhile alies,

We would be amenable to renewing our deal and would be delighted to receive you on our isle.

Wraiths

Artifact of the Ancient Forest
    Public

Calls to the forest prompt no movement no beings stride forth to meet and discuss. When pressed, or if messengers linger they only hear a whisper sliding through their minds as the wind slides through trees.

'We do not not hold with those who are not blessed. Only our masters, the blessed, can call upon the forces of the ancient forest. The forest gives nothing to those who left the Ancient Forest to linger in dust and forgotten tombs.'
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2020-01-20 at 04:25 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

Summery of Total War game I am running. Summery of the Total War Hanrui game I ran.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Thank you to Ceika for my awesome Avatar!

28. - Top - End - #178
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Spoiler: To the Legion of Balance and Shemesh MOR 0
    Show

If the people of Shemesh do not answer the call to fight the darkness, then we will face you alone in the coming seasons. Let us show you that we protect our own with more than just idle prayer. You have won for two seasons, now you must lose for two. That would be balance, no?

Grand Voice Sylas of the First Kyrsull Legion

Spoiler: To the Pillar of Wisdom MOR 10
    Show

Dearest Scholars.

It is regrettable, though understandable that you are not able to provide direct aid at this time. May your experiments go well. Alas we will not provide followers of the Voice for experimentation, but if one of the devils has been simply pretending, you wlll be the first place we send him.

Grand Voice Jeleva

Spoiler: To the Willow MOR 10
    Show

It's not a letter that goes into the forest, but Grand Voice Sylas himself.

"I'm not sure what I was expecting," the Grand Voice says as he looks over the damages from the magical traps, "but this wasn't it."

He waits to feel the presence of the Willow around him.

"Tell me, what do you need? I know we freed you into tragedy and we do not want you to suffer. Let us be your shield."

Spoiler: OOC:
    Show

Basically how hurt are the Willow from the trap?

Spoiler: To Shemesh MOR 10
    Show

Our continued discussion hinges of whether you will back down from the call to fight evil. I would tell you to claim to back down and then lend your reputation either way, but Shemesh speaks in the light which makes this all rather difficult.

Spoiler: To Khasal MOR 10 l
    Show

May your city flourish with your freedom.

29. - Top - End - #179
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Spoiler: To the Ironfang Republic (MOR 8)
    Show

To the most esteemed Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued, Secretary General of the Republic,

We are no friends of the bandits of Silvermist. They have opposed our occupation of Old Balam, and told if we took Balam, they would consider it an act of war. While they have not made any declaration yet, some of the High Master's military advisers believe they will try and take the city from us soon. They might have chosen not to pursue war, as their word is worthless, but they might have not.
    Thus, we are considering your proposition.

Know though, His Templars are no mercenaries. While we appreciate your token of respect, Our Burning Saviour's Crusade does not conduct business, but strategic cooperation.

What do you offer? Are you willing to stand at our side in our times of need as well, when we call upon you?

Glory to the Flame,

To the Astral Collective

Spoiler: disclaimer
    Show
    Same disclaimer again, Esp of 8.

"I see." Archon Keldrar replied, after some time of thoughtful silence.
    "I respect and value your honesty. I had heard reports claiming that the Collective hailed from another... reality, but I wasn't sure what to think myself."
    His tone of voice had a hint of doubt left, although the Archon hid it well.
    "You were honest and plain to me, so let me be the same to you - your former opposition to Holy Pyresoul, an ally of our noble ancestors, would likely cause you to be declared anathema by the High Priestess. However - you were not opposed to Holy Pyresoul, but a dragon of your reality. Is he to be considered one and the same? A theological question, and one that is bound to be of much debate, for whether the divine may be shared across realities is surely a matter of much contention." He stopped again, pondering. "You may be correct in your analysis. You may be not. I can only be sure after a conversation with the Heir, if I prove to be worthy."
    He lowered his beak and closed his eyes in his flame-scarred face in reverence.
    "I would have to ask him about his lack of cruelty. Cruelty can be used wrong, and it can be used right. The first is how demons use it, simply to destroy. The second is how Our Saviour uses it, to teach. Don't use it at all and all you have left is the pitiful huddled masses of the Faithful of Shemesh."
    Last edited by Lord Athos; 2020-01-21 at 12:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Orc in the Playground

Free City of Khasal

Morale 2, Rep 3

Show

Hail to Azaersi the Immortal,

It will be my great pleasure to welcome you properly onto the shores of Kyrsul, and I shall endeavour to leave enough of the devils and beasts standing for it to have been worth the trip. I trust the City’s pathfinders and explorers did their work well?

And there shall always be a seat at my table for you and yours, as soon as my City is in a state to properly receive you.

May your dreams burn themselves unto reality,
    The Magnificent Vyas Asraya, Artisan in Glass and Wind, Captain-General of the Army of Liberation, Great Man of the Republic

Spoiler: City of Wraiths
    Show

Marvellous, I look forward to the results.

On another matter, have you any interest in Corin’s old dagger? Obviously the greater mass of your wraiths will be occupied, but if you’ve another relic to trade for it, or soldiers and theurges to loan the use of, your city would be a fitting home for it.

-The Exalted Lia Misri, Weaver in Blood and Bone

Spoiler: Templar of the Burning Savior
    Show

Show

So, after quizzing the GM, it turns out I actually only need 2 of my 4 points, not 3. Don’t suppose you’d like to increase the magnitude of the trade?