Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Total War: Rise of Kingdoms IC

The Ironfang Republic
    Morale 5
    Reputation 6

The Gates of Oprak

To say that Eygara watched the growing calamity with concern was something of an understatement.

First, the Pilgrim Mentawy - her charge for better or worse, as he had assured her that he would be enough to speak for the will of the followers of Shemesh - had been challenged by Ulrak and the rest of his yzobu regiment outside of Oprak’s walls. That was when the dawn crusaders had arrived. Within minutes, what had become a minor breach in protocol had devolved into a potentially continental gaffe, and it was all her fault!

Even as she watched, Ulrak and his troops were busy creating a loose cordon around the Pilgrim. The troops stayed back, but kept a perimeter to prevent Mentawy from running or charging ahead towards the distant city gates. Eygara felt her heart pounding. Her place was not to apologize, but as the champion of Shemesh was challenged not only by the gate guardian, but also by the Grand Voice Khal, the hobgoblin knight stepped forward.

"Grand Voice, Blade-Peer Ulrak, the fault here is mine. I was not diligent in checking the credentials of this traveler to speak for the flocks of Shemesh’s faith, and for that I must present myself to the elders for discipline. For the time being, I will also recommend that Pilgrim Mentawy be denied entry from Oprak or any council, and that a representative is returned to Shemesh’s people with a request to speak with the Archpriestess herself." After she was finished speaking, the mounted trooper turned to offer his farewell to the representative from the Church, having already moved his soldiers aside to clear the road for their delegation. As he met her gaze then, the gate captain’s eyes softened their mien. Riding his yak over to her, Ulrak paused before shaking his head.

"I will witness and pass on these actions, Eygara. However, I do not believe it will be the will of the council for you to be stripped of your position. Instead, I will send a hawk up to the Hall of Conquerors to inquire after next steps to deal with this... Mentawy character, along with your own recommended course of action. When we get a reply from them, we will proceed in due course."

Spoiler: To the Citizens of the Low Countries (37 & 38)
    Show
    Greetings esteemed civilians,

We are the Ironfang Republic, come here to this great land of Hanrui in order to better the lives of all goblin peoples. However, our mission does not preclude the well beings of other races, so long as they can prove that they can coexist peacefully with members of our race.

At the moment, our diplomatic efforts are caught up in other matters, but your input is important to us, as I plan on expanding the Republic’s armies north and west over the coming months. As is the custom for our people, expansion efforts will be led by my military forces, although we hope to keep all casualties to an absolute minimum. Therefore, we ask courteously that you refrain from resisting our march, and when you see my banners on the horizon, willingly join the Republic’s embrace.

Under the leadership of the Ironfang Republic, I can guarantee that you will be part of a prosperous and thriving enterprise. You will not be evicted from your homes; you will find that willing membership in the Republic means protection from monsters and other errant threats, regular food on the table, and order and civilization. The Republic wishes to bring only peace to Hanrui - let us both now be part of that movement.

- General Azaersi

Spoiler: OOC - Midturn (GM Only)
    Show
    Spending 2 ADV to clear a few floors into the Crystalforge. Results have already been posted.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-12-27 at 11:41 AM.
    Spoiler: Stuff I'm Working On
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

Quote Originally Posted by Zeno Desaqqara View Post
    You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

2. - Top - End - #32
    Orc in the Playground

The Free City of Khasal

[Morale 2/Everyone but the NPC paladins can read]

Spoiler: Astral Collective and City of Wraiths
    Show

Given the, ah, limited headway we’re making in the larger council, I can only say that I find your optimism and faith in diplomatic engagement deeply admirable, Master Chemosh. Regardless of what sort of binding results this endeavour has, I really do find both of you quite personally admirable, and hope to keep in regular correspondence over the coming years. You both share a tragically rare view of the wider context of the world, and it’s always refreshing to converse with those who already know all the necessary context.

Now, as to the particular suggestion brought forward in your last message, I must say that on behalf of myself and those in the City who share my particular skillset, I must decline. We simply have more pressing concerns closer to home, and are all tied up in the near-term besides.

In the future though, well, mutual cooperation and mutual benefit are both lovely sentiments to be able to put into action.

Best wishes and sincere regards,
    The Esteemed Corin Letara, Friend of the People

Spoiler: People of Territory 24
    Show

The message is delivered by glittering constructs of glass and light, relaying the recorded voice of Vyas Asraya in full fidelity before falling apart in a shower of sparks. Remaining in the centre of the town square or throne room is a crystal bird holding a scroll of paper on which to write a reply. Depending on the message it carries back to Khasal, it will become a dove or a crow.

Hail to the people and princes of Quepta!

I speak with the voice of the future, and I come to offer you a choice. Your lush and pleasant land is caught within the vice of history, with only two possible escapes.

In one path you make the first choice of many, and welcome my armies and those of the glorious City of Khasal as brothers. You will be honoured as free and equal citizens, free to enjoy every sacred privilege that is your rightful birthright. You will achieve all you are truly capable of, and find that freedom defended by all the force and skill of civilization’s greatest savants.

In the other, you make the last choice you or yours will ever have the privilege of imagining. You bar your hearts and gates alike. Divided and suspicious, you are ideal victims of the Legions of chain and scourge. Your children will curse your names, if they are allowed time to remember them between the mine and the rack.

Speak amongst yourselves, and speak truly. Whatever consensus you arrive upon, record it and place it in the talons of my bird, so it might be returned to me.

Choose well.

Spoiler: People of Territory 29
    Show

[i]The messages are delivered by perfect origami swans of perfumed purple paper, soaring and flitting onto the writing desks and bedchambers of chiefs, petty nobles and patricians alike. Once touched by the intended recipient, they unfold to be read-and once a response has been composed (whether formally or simply in their mind), the letter reforms its text to reflect it, and refolds itself to deliver it.[i]

Hail to the Lords of the Broken Coast!

I write with joyous tidings, and an invitation to prosperity and progress.

The citizens of our glorious City have taken it upon themselves to explore the palace at our heart, and through their efforts recovered idols sublime in appearance and miraculous in aspect. Our scholars have discerned that they represent the gods and heroes who once graced your vital land, and so it is right that they might be returned to once against grace your temples and market squares.

Please, accept my hospitality, and voyage to my beloved City of wonders. In my house and amongst my people you will feast and celebrate unmolested, and see all the glories which surround our lives. And if all goes well, when you return to your home with new treasure, we will count ourselves blood brothers, and fellow citizens.

May your dreams burn themselves upon the world,
    The Magnificent Vyas Asraya, Beloved of Glory, Maestro of Falling Stars, Great Man of the Republic.
    Last edited by St.Just; 2019-12-21 at 11:36 PM.
    The world was born in flame and art,
    The world was born – then torn apart.
    Creation’s sorrow rent the sky
    T​o know all things would cool and die​.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Barbarian in the Playground

In the lands bordering the Church of the Truth Seeker, the skies are busy. Angles fly out at dawn near the end of the season to each town, village and tribe. They are carrying scrolls and speak with a chorus of voices in the town squares reading off the message.

To the citizens of the nearby lands,

I speak for Grand Voice Sylas, of the Church of the Truth Seeker.

Have you heard it? The whispering in your head that you ignored and called the wind. The call for you to change your path? The soft words to steady you through troubles?

I know many of your hear it, as I have heard it too. The Voice calls out to each of us individually and asks nothing. It does not need an answer, it does not need your devotion, but it is in your best interest to pay attention.

As the Voice spreads, the church follows. We humbly march in its wake to wave our banners high above blessed lands. We come to welcome new brothers and sisters into the fold of the Voice and her wonderful truth.

To those of you who have not heard it yet; rejoice, as the day your life changes has yet to come, but be warned, holding on to your old ways and ignoring those around you is a sure way to destruction. The Voice MUST call our across the lands and the church must follow.

Salvation awaits us all after this life, but a life spent spreading the Voice is a more noble path than skipping to salvation. If you must resist our arrival even as your peers welcome us with open arms, we will deliver you to salvation for the good of those willing to speak for the Voice.

Do not be scared children, the Voice speaks to all in time, but she sometimes needs time to find the words.

With the love of the Voice behind me.

Grand Voice Sylas

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

The Ironfang Republic
    Morale 5
    Reputation 6

Spoiler: To the Astral Collective
    Show
    Dear esoterics and grand philosophers,

We of the Ironfang Republic are dismayed that our conference at Oprak was cut short without a tangible alliance to show for it. However, I have taken note of the strength of character of the Astral Collective. The candor and integrity of your Twelfth Speaken Yonren particularly impressed me at the summit. Therefore, I will be sending along an envoy in the coming months to discuss extending talks between our nations as a matter of course. I hope that your interests and ideas for the preservation of Hanrui can align with our own in the future.

Furthermore, as a neighbor, the Republic has a small favor to ask of you. The Vales of Nen Tim [49] near the base of the Spearhead Peaks are currently situated directly between our two territories. As a point of courtesy, we will refrain from sending any of our forces or foreign relations agents into that region. However, we would ask that you return that courtesy. Our expansion efforts are currently aimed in directions other than potential allies, and we hope the same is true of your great nation.

Sincerely,

Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued, Secretary General of the Ironfang Republic

Spoiler: To the Church of the Truth Speaker
    Show
    Greetings crusaders and followers of the Voice,

We of the Ironfang Republic are dismayed that our conference at Oprak was cut short without a tangible alliance to show for it. However, I have taken note of the conviction of the Church of the Dawn Speaker. The piety and zeal of your envoy the Grand Voice Khal particularly impressed me at the summit. Therefore, I will be sending along an envoy in the coming months to discuss extending talks between our nations as a matter of course. I hope that your interests and ideas for the preservation of Hanrui can align with our own in the future.

Furthermore, as a nation without an official religion, we have noted that several hobgoblin scholars have taken up the way of the Voice. Many of us here at Oprak are curious about such a phenomenon, and would like to converse theology with your own prelates. Kraelos - a figure of some renown in our Republic, and the high priest of the Brothers in Arms - has expressed some interest in visiting your Fortress of First Words in the upcoming season. Please let us know if you would be amenable to such a visit.

Sincerely,

Spoiler: To the Dwarves of Khazn Durn
    Show
    Dear monarchs of the halls of Khazn Durn,

We of the Ironfang Republic are dismayed that you could not attend our peace summit in our city of Oprak. The delegates have since returned home, but we wanted to reach out to you personally, as we believe that our two nations share both borders and ideals. Therefore, I will be sending along an envoy in the coming months to discuss extending talks between our people. Dwarves and goblins have not always been friends, but we hope to change those relations moving forward. I hope that your interests and ideas for the preservation of Hanrui can align with our own in the future.

Furthermore, as a neighbor, the Republic has a small favor to ask of you. The Lantern Hills [38] that border the Sindar Ocean are currently situated between our two territories. Our commander in-chief General Azaersi has already made contact with the locals of the region, as we plan to expand our territory in that direction. We would ask that you refrain from sending your own forces to counteract our own expansion. In return, the Republic is happy to give your kingdom exclusive rights to [39]. We hope that this cooperation can be the first instance of many to come.

Sincerely,

Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2020-01-24 at 07:04 PM.
    Show
    Small Justice

An ongoing web serial about politics, vengeance, and miniature lizards. Go check it out!

You divine bastard.

"Life is to be lived, not controlled; and humanity is won by continuing to play in the face of certain defeat."

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

Theocracy of Shemesh

The Light of Shemesh leads the way
    A brightly lit city awaits
    A town kindled to the flames
    Emblazed to a beacon of a city
    Awashing Hanrui in Radiance
    Behold Medju
    The Capital of Light!

By Akila Yuki. http://akilayuki.blogspot.com/

The devout of Shemesh move onward, awakening the Light, kindling the flames of faith. They search a place for their luminous center to stand. Not only a source of worship, but of worldly governance and diplomacy. A symbol for the rest of the world to know the Theocracy of Shemesh by beyond the religion, the faith. A presence on earth, amidst the sands. To acknowledge them as nation, they claim, even as it will serve as a beacon of Light for the faith.

A market of goods, such as divine symbols, a forum of words, praising Shemesh, a bastion of defence, in faith of Shemesh, alleys, reflecting the Light in glass, magical songs and incantations, filled with holy scripture, tales of adventure in travel, to spread the Light. A Capital of Light, to be worldly and diplomatic, to establish connections and receive diplomats and merchants, yet already caught up in the vigour of faith, drawing those who already lived in that fated place to the worship of Shemesh with blinding insight, to see the brilliance of Shemesh.

Medju, the Capital of Light, will be found.

6. - Top - End - #36

RogueGuy

Spoiler: Balam: Mor 6
    Show
    Some treacherous pirates and ravanous trolls have come under care. Would these be suitable? We hope that you find either coin or representatives available for the payment of those you have not paid for yet. ((OOC)) Sending 1 Military, offering 2 more ((Ooc))
    "I'll get a cool quote, just you wait."
    Here is the backdrop to the first Campaign in my Titan Blood World.
    Bastilonis

7. - Top - End - #37
    Bugbear in the Playground

RangerGuy

The Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn

King Thurgrin held his usual court where the citizens could call upon him for whatever matter they needed. It was a fairly normal affair, largely revolving around which settlement needed what goods, the comings and goings of trade vessels, and the updating of information regarding mining and production quotas.

But these normal affairs wasn't all that King Thurgrin had in mind at this time. He had the future of his Clan to consider, and their longevity in this new world. Much work had yet to be done. And the scouts had reported neighboring settlements to the northeast and west.

"Durstrim, my son. Come that we may speak.", the King beckoned his eldest son and General.

"Aye, father. What will you 'ave of me?"

"Send out yer scouts, lad, and find whatever land be unclaimed and able to grow crops to feed more mouths. When our riches flow back to the old world, more dwarves will surely come, and we must be ready."

The younger dwarf bows swiftly. "Aye, father. As y' wish."

The King then beckoned his Forgemaster, "Kargrin. Put all yer efforts for the season into building the hold. These mountains will be our home now."

A gruff nod from the wizened smith and he simply leaves the room to begin his work.

Spoiler: To The Republic (MOR 6)
    Show
    To Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued:

Our sincere apologies in not being able to attend the summit. It seems the messenger was delayed in making it up the mountain, for this second message only arrived shortly after the first.

We would have been honored to attend and share your belief that the best path forward for prosperity is through peace and building strong relationships with ones neighbors.

We are happy to agree to your territorial terms, and have no interest in expanding westward into such lands. We will expand around the harbor to provide security to the trade vessels coming in and out, and are further happy to guarantee safe passage to any of your vessels that need to make use of it or travel by river through our territory into your lands.

We look forward to a long future of prosperity for both our peoples.

King Thurgrin Wildhammer

Spoiler: To The Church (MOR 6)
    Show
    Greetings to our northeastern neighbors.

In all truth and honesty, we have no idea of what voice you speak. We presume it is some sort of religion that you follow, though we've nothing in our books of history that speak of it.

In regards to the foothills south of your settlement, we would be willing to allow you that land uncontested for your arriving citizens, though we do have concerns about it being so close to our Hold.
    Perhaps a trading partnership would help to encourage more trust for the future.

King Thurgrin Wildhammer

Spoiler: To the Astral Collective (MOR 6)
    Show
    To Yonren, Twelfth Speaker:

Greetings to the Astral Collective.

I have no doubt that we can coexist peacefully in this new world. The Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn has no interest in waging war on this continent if it is not forced upon us. Similarly, we have no plans involving your territories; aside from hopefully eventually the free travel of trading caravans.

As to expanding toward your borders, in full truth our expectation is to eventually need to expand south to hold the entire western shore of the great lake. Food does not grow well in the mountains, and thus we shall need the farmland to feed our people. We have no interest in expanding further south than that.

We look forward to speaking with you further in the future and building positive relations between our nations.

King Thurgrin Wildhammer

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ogre in the Playground

Turn 2

At his best, man is the noblest of all animals; separated from law and justice he is the worst."- Aristotle

Spring gives way to the burning hot summers and cool autumns of rest of the year. Dirt is baked under the sun, perfect for stomping feet of armies or the travel of emissaries. Summer is the season of war.

Expansion

Armies march, diplomats coerce, money talks, and spies extort. Across these lands towns, villages and resources are being snapped up. The methods vary but the end results are the same. Devils spread to the north and south planning their next moves, the Legion slowly starts its march towards way as it heads north, and wizards march their guard into new lands.

In the southern continent the nations rush to take the few lands that are eft leaving the northern half of the continent completely occupied by Ironfang armies, Khazn Durn Shield Dwarves, and Paladins of the Voice. The three nations are all getting closer and closer, pushing the boundaries.

The Perished Isles are dominated by the City of Wraiths as they expand to take even more of the main island covering it with their undead and joining the few towns there to the fold.

The Northern continent boils as the devils and the free city seem to be on a collison course, stopping just short of crossing armies as they grow their dominion. On the other side of the great mountains the Funga Combine slowly, but steadily, spreads their gift to the neighboring forests while the Theocracy of Shemesh expands to the deserts with faith and varied other means.

And is at a premium and it is running out.

Collapsing Economy and Devastated Populations

The city-state of Balam has been brutally attacked which has led into rebellion among their own! The agents of destruction targeted the lifeblood of the slave city, freeing and murdering hundreds if not thousands of slaves from the Balam lands and crippling their slave trade. This caused several of the preeminent slave traders and witches of Balam to band together and secede from the Balam motherland.

While Balam was suffering their own attacks the City of Wraiths was brutally assaulted by powerful magics out of nowhere. Targeting the few trade partners of the City to drive them away with mind magic while hitting their stockpiles of wealth, transmuting it to useless wood or dirt. The City of Wraiths is not happy with the economic crisis as they cannot afford many of the necessities any more.

The Dragons Roost

Zeilrae the Magnificent, descendant of the mighty Pyresoul who made nations tremble has graced Hanrui with his presence and his might. He comes to walk the same path of his ancestor, to conquer the vast ands of Hanrui and burn all who stand against him. However he is younger then the Pyresoul and lacks his powerful magics and vast devoted armies.

To rectify this Zeilrae deigned to join a powerful and worthy nation who had the standing to match his own. The Astral Collective wooed him with promises of power, wealth, and intriguing propositions. Granting him a mighty mountain temple for him to roost when he isn’t burning down their enemies in a storm of fire and fang.

Summit on the World Stage

Having seen the influence and draw that the Ironfang Republic has on their fellow nations, not to mention the steps they are taking to draw their neighbors together. This seems to be an ally that would benefit any nation who could befriend them, should they survive. The Ironfang Republic is flooded by offers of friendship and favors to help aid them in their struggle and ingratiate themselves for the future.

The Ironfang Peace Summit has drawn the eye of the world, will it rise again? Become a symbol of peace to both the mighty and the weak? Or fall into ruin and disrepair until forgotten?

What a Time to Be Alive!

Despite the temptation and drive of so many nations to snap and declare war there has been none. The common folk around the world cheer and go about their lives. Happy to just be there and not rounded up into an army or on the business side of a spear. Soldiers breathe sighs of relief as they don’t go into the meatgrinder of war cheerfully fulfilling duties they may have once deemed as ‘boring’.

From the new Wraiths of the Perished Isles, to the new adherents of Shemesh, to the new coastal towns of the Dwarves. New citizens are acclimating to their new nations taking pride in their leaders and watching the new armies that protect them with glee.

Those more in tune with magic, the occult, and the pulse of mortality seem to notice a little something extra seemingly going around. The faintest whispers of three ancient spirits a trio of siblings from time lost unleashed by new mortals looking for joy and happiness. Just the slightest whisper of joy and nudging wishes towards fulfillment, not like the reality warping power of their early days where they whisked nirvana and wonder into reality as easy as breathing.

Untouchable, untrackable and on the last legs of their life and power these whispers nudge mortals towards a better, if altered, state of mind.

Spoiler
    Show
    Morale this turn takes one less to upgrade.

Magical Anomalies… Worked out?

A large use of magic caused some weird ongoings half a continent away in the small innocuous village of Helmain several small rifts the size of a fist opened up Not large enough for any large creatures to come through but the forest these small rifts led to were able to pollinate some of the plants in the village, causing them to show distinct magical properties while imbuing the area with powerful natural magics.

Many of the villagers started to gain strange eldritch powers while others bounded down the path of natural magic with ease advancing in months what took masters years. These new paragons of magic are still simple villagers though, unaware of the consequences of flaunting their new magics so openly and not even thinking of the idea that there are some that might want them for their own. Even as rumors spread across all the world of this wondrous event.

Spoiler
    Show
    Territory 45 gains 2 Mag, whoever takes the territory gets the 2 Mag that comes with it.
    Last edited by GameOfChampions; 2019-12-24 at 07:04 PM.
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

9. - Top - End - #39

RogueGuy

Slowly it eeks forth. A tale of Adventure and Glory spill forth from the mist. Traders sell copies, Bards and minstrels sing the tales, and traveling minstrels invade nearby lands. Eventually every land will hear it.
    Spoiler: Tragedy of Grock
    Show
    From the deep mist, what did they see?

A child come forth alone, yet free.

Come hither young orc, the Captain must see.

He stood tall, he did not flee.

Look up child, you’re times not done,

Come with me and we’ll have some fun.

You’ve much to learn and far to grow.

Adventure and you’ll never know

And end to suffering and plight and craze

Your life will be lived in a gloomy haze

Of terror and fear and cold hard days.

Lesser men will whisper praise,

There will be no end to your deeds.

You’ll vanquish monsters and find unease.

The glory you’ll know will never fade.

Come and learn from the Mist’s silver haze.

Young Grock grew strong and learned what’s right.

To fight for gold and stories and sometimes light.

The world would bear a weight untold

To those who sit behind walls with gold.

The heat of battle will tempered wit.

And his rage for blood was never spent.

Pirates sailed and plundered loot.

Young Grock put them beneath his boot.

His axe wrote red their treaty to sign.

It was a glorious, brilliant, and lovely time.

The Trolls would pillage and burn and kill,

But our hero Grock would find the hill.

That hid the Trolls and their ill will.

He tracked and hunted and led his men.

He slaughtered trolls in their own den.

Grock had found his peace within,

And would be ripped away by words of men,

Come forth they cried, help us build a light.

But they coward in darkness and were afraid of right.

He pleaded and begged them to clasp in arm.

Instead they cried, let us do no harm.

Grock spoke of pain, his words unheard.

He could not sway weak men with word.

His hope wouldn’t die and he rode alone.

And as he came, he would ride towards home.

But Assassin blades soon would come.

Grock was brave and strong and true,

So listen closely or you will too,

Find the world is not ruled by chance,

But swords, and spells, and even romance.

So if fate leaves you to assassins blades

At least leave a tale to be made.
    Bastilonis

10. - Top - End - #40

Salvation

"Steady, steady!" Soundblade Johanna held out a hand to the Paladins behind her and dropped down to the ground. She folded her wings behind her and took a step towards the small army that had come to meet the forces of the Voice outside of the Hangruard city gates. She could see the doubt in their eyes, they didn’t want to fight a war they knew they couldn’t win.

“Those of you who hear the Voice!” She called out across the battlefield, “join us in liberating your brothers and sisters from their bonds! Listen to her and let her speak true to you!”

First there was silence in response to Johanna, as all of the cities defenders stood stalwart across from her, but she waited.

Then there was the clatter of a single armoured knight pushing through the ranks. One of the captains tried to get in his way but he cast them aside with almost inhuman strength. After bashing his way through the front lines he ended up in the no-mans land between the two armies. The sun gleaming off his armour as he cast his weapon and shield aside.

“I hear her,” he choked out, “you’re right, she’s here.”

Johanna flew forward with inhuman speed to take position beside the one deserter. As the dust from her landing cleared more of the army had dropped blades to the ground. “Is he the only one that hears her?” Johanna called out to the lost souls, “anyone else, let her know you believe.”

The Hugruard army started with shake with deserters who were trying to push through and leave the ranks. They wanted to join their brothers and sisters who had arrived as invaders. They clawed and pleaded with the men around them to stop holding them back. Slowly they started breaking free and running to Johanna, who took off the ground and hovered over the escaping souls.

“To those who do not hear her!” She called out, “do you relinquish your power to the one true notion of peace and harmony? Do you welcome her into your hearts even when she hasn’t been in your ears? Do you surrender your lives to the service of the church until the day you hear her too?” Johanna winced as she finished her questioning. She always wished this part could go different, but it needed to be done.

“You’re loony!”

“Madness!”

“It’s magic trickery!”

“I’m not betraying our king!”

Johanna sighed, “Salvation it is then,” she unsheathed her blade and the sound radiated across the battlefield. “Chorus!” She called.

“SHE SPEAKS THROUGH US!” Church Army and the deserting knights shouted back.

“They do not concede their place in the lands of suffering,” Johanna continued, “and they will not be part of the chorus.”

“THEY DO NOT LISTEN!” The chorus responded.
    The men of the Hangruard army started reaching for their weapons that had been put away in the chaos of desertion.

“Any of you who hear the Voice in the next few minutes,” she said as a final point to the scrambling forces, “join us in deliverance.”

“SALVATION!” Johanna and the rest of the chorus cried together as they dove into the disarrayed forces that were still assembled against them.

——

Peace

Less than a week after Hangruard fell and the surrounding lands surrendered to the church, envoys were sent out to the lands south of the Fortress of first words. The angels arrived in the foothills to find the peoples of the villages there, waiting for them with offerings and gifts. Though not all of them heard the voice, they had quickly learned that it was easier to accept what was coming next than it was to try to resist the church.

The capital of the Southern lands was renamed to Angelhost by the locals before the church arrived, and the residents introduced themselves as casters of great power who could be taught in the Devine ways of the church.

——

The Shadow Flights Back

Grand Voice Sylas was already grabbing his weapon as the tower started to shake. The voice had told him that something was coming. Outside of his window, a shadow given form rocketed out into the sky above the fortress. Massive leathery wings unfurled to block out the sun and gave over a new domain. An Adult Shadow Dragon had pierced the guard of the adventurers that had gone into the realm of shadows and slipped out into the lands of the church.

“Freedom,” the beast hissed as he gazed over the fortress, “so much light to consume. A world to slather in dark and-“

A sharp ringing, like the sound of talons on pavement cut the dragon off as it turned to look to the top tower of the Fortress of First words. On the balcony, blade drawn but unarmored was Grand Voice Sylas. The dragon looked over the angel and started to laugh, smoke-like shadow escaping through its teeth.

“An angel?” The dragon asked, “do you think your light can burn me? Do you think I fear the sun?”

“Don’t let the Pilgrims from Shemesh hear you saying that,” Sylas responded as he took a step off the balcony and caught himself with his wings. He held his blade lightly and uncorked one of the ancient potions they had fetched from the plane of shadow. It was time to see how well these things worked. He downed the potion and it felt like electricity in his veins. “I’m personally not partial to fighting with light.”

“This won’t be a fight,” the dragon spat before starting a dive at Sylas, “I am Exzir the Watcher and the new ruler of these lands.” The shadow lashed out with its claws first. Sylas ducked below the blow only to find the maw of the dragon open and ready to cover him in shadowfire.

The angel uncorked another potion and heaved it up to the dragon’s mouth, the glass shattering against one of its teeth. Green acid poured from the bottle and Exzir roared in pain as the ancient alchemy ate away at his teeth. With the dragon staggered, Sylas rose for the killing blow.

The ancient sword ‘Her Shout’ clashed against the scales of the dragon. The sword was powerful but each piece of the dragon’s hide was a fortress wall, thick and study. Sylas retreated in the air before Exzir was able to recover from the acid in its mouth.

“Coward,” Exzir spat with a new lisp, “do you think your tricks with save you?”

“No,” Sylas answered and changed his grip on his blade, "I just believe that they will let me do this alone.”

“You foolish-“ Exzir stopped his speech as sonic waves built up around ‘Her Shout’. The dragon changed its words into a breath of shadowfire that engulfed Sylas.

Sylas could feel his light and flesh burn away as the fire lashed at him, pulling at his armor and skin. He closed his eyes.

B͏̵́͡E̶͞Ģ̶̀͝O͞͝N͝҉̡͡E̵͘͜͜͠

Sylas lashed out with his blade, a sonic wave echoing off it through the dark fire and into the dragon breathing in. The spew from Exzir’s mouth turned from flame to blood as the sound slashed his innards. The dragon coughed and faltered in the air.

The healing portion on Sylas’ belt restored the angels’ skin as he swallowed it down a cracked and burned throat. He steadied himself on healing wings.

Exzir reeled in the air, barely able to keep himself aloft as the angel healed in front of him. He wasn’t going to be defeated like this. He had been pushing to get out of the Shadow plane for decades. Months of watching the angels go in and out waiting for the right opportunity and now he was going to die in his first combat? He wasn’t about to let that happen. The shadow dragon mustered all the strength he could and channeled it into his wings, taking off towards the sea and lands away from this angel he’d run into.

“”Begone.” Sylas went to sheath his blade before he heard the whisper.
    S̡̢̀͢a̡̕͡͡ĺ̷̛͟v͢҉a̕͝t͟͝͠i̶͡ò̸̡͜͞ǹ͘҉̀

Sylas slashed his blade at the air again, and a second burst of sound screamed out of it. Exzir was faster than Sylas could fly, but the words of the voice weren’t something that could be escaped. The dragon crashed into the ocean with blood spewing from its clipped wings.

“Salvation.” Sylas repeated.

____

Letters and Replies

Spoiler: The Ironfang Republic MOR 5
    Show
    The Ironing Republic.

Thank you for reaching out so soon after the conference, this letter was practically waiting on my desk as I walked back into the fortress of first words. Impressive delivery service.

I share your dismay at the results of the summit but I cannot say I was surprised. Hoping that every nation on the continent would agree to such peaceful terms was wishful thinking. Even asking some of the less honourable nations to agree to declare their acts of war was too much. That being said, I do believe there is a lot of change that could be made on Rivaness by discussing terms with nations of similar minds, like us as the Astral Collective. If nothing else we seem to have an aligned moral compass.

With the summit having come and gone with our non-aggression pacts in place. I would like to speak to the Astral Collective as well your esteemed representative, though they don’t need to stay for the theological lessons, I would appreciate having them there for the political discussions. 

Of course, you offered for a private conversation, so if you would prefer that I am of course also willing to welcome you into the fortress alone. Perhaps we could even visit Angelhost, I’m sure their magicians could teach some of yours a few new divine spells.

All the best, and thank you for taking the first step towards a safe Hanrui

Grand Voice Khal

OOC: Khal is offering to meet as a VIP for private messaging again if that’s what you’re asking for. He would like for the Astral Collective to come along too if possible as it would save a VIP trying to speak to them.

Spoiler: The Dwarven Hold MOR 5
    Show
    The Dwarven Hold

Good evening, I write on behalf of Grand Voice Dawn and Soundblade Johanna.

Thank you for keeping out of our way doing the Churches expansion into the territories around your lands. As your scouts must have seen, the Voice compels people to work on her side, even those that were standing against us just a moment before.

It seems there was a misunderstanding of our first letter. When we requested that we have access to lands, we were not speaking of the lands to the South of you, as you had no ruling claim on them. We were speaking of [42]. Seeing as there wasn’t a response in time we avoided moving into the area to avoid an accidental conflict. As the Church continues to expand we are going to need lands in order to keep pushing forward as a calming whisper in the world.

We understand that this is a large logistical request, and that the lands in [42] may be important to you. If that is the case we are disappointed but understanding, and would simply ask that [39] and [44] be left to the Church for our coming troops.

Now onto the topic of trade.

Trading with the Dwarves is something we are eager to do. Though we find it hard to find a resource that we do not share. Both of us have high military standing and a strong economy. Where your people have a larger reputation in Hanrui, we have magical abilities that are the one thing we have on offer.

We would be willing to consider a trade route for the coming seasons where we enchant weapons for you in return for raw resources. Please let us know if that is something you would find helpful.

[OOC: I am offering MAG for ECON, numbers to be discussed.]

Spoiler: The Astral Collective MOR 5
    Show
    The Astral Collective:

Hello friends in the Astral Collective, I write on behalf of Grand Voice Khal

We were pleased to meet you during our time at the Ironfang Summit, though less came from the summit than we were hoping. The church shares your opinion that the collective present made a full treaty impossible morally.

Though you are far from us, you are one of our neighbours on Rivaness, and one of the nations that the Voice speaks the highest of. She has seen into your past and shares your sorrow for the Hanrui that lies beyond.

It is imperative that we do not let that happen here.

I, Khal am set to meet with the IronFang Republic in the coming months, though I have asked for your peoples to attend the meeting, I can assure you that if they want privacy I will commit another one of the Grand Voices to speak with you about the future of the land we live on, and how we can stop the evils forming on Kyrsull and Nex.

Even if you have not heard the Voices yet, we know that you carry many of her words in your hearts.

If you cannot meet with us, we do wish to discuss trade and will speak over less private means like letters if that is how you prefer.

Voice Ghald, on behalf of Grand Voice Khal.

Spoiler: The Free City of Khasal MOR 5
    Show
    The Free City Of Khasal

To the Magnificent Vyas Asraya,

I was surprised to see someone other than you representing the Free City at the Summit. For some reason I had thought it would be you attending and lending your voice. Though I suppose there is now a pact of non-aggression between us to help foster a friendship.

We have seen your kind in the church before. Curious, wanting to learn and wanting to follow their eyes and ears rather than their hearts. Luckily our voice speaks, if our angels were considered masks and whispers, tell me how loud the Voice would need to call to show your people that she is something that can be studied?

To peace,

Grand Voice Khal.

Spoiler: The Legion of Balance, MOR 0
    Show
    The Legion of Balance

It’s unfortunate to hear that you are so against the forces of good. Your legion and goddess could do so much to help stamp out the evil that is spreading on Hanrui, but instead you choose to enforce it.

Saladrahal, Goddess of Balance. Rethink your ways before the tide of good overtakes a pious people.

Grand Voice Dawn.

The Dawn Arrives

Grand Voice Dawn knelt on the marble floor of the cathedral. Stained glass coloured the light that was dripping down from the rising sun into a prismatic array that splashed over her wings. She had been up for days pouring over the books from the Realm of Shadow. Fighting techniques that were easily converted and augmented with divine power, but after days Dawn had found herself at a standstill during the night, pouring over pages that could teach her nothing else but just short of a breakthrough in her work. There had to be something more that could help her, something more that she could do to prove her devotion.

Footsteps behind her echoed throughout the church as another of the chorus joined her in front of the grand statue of the voice’s wings. The member of the chorus didn’t have her wings yet, in fact, Dawn didn’t even recognize her from any of the ships that had come into port. She must have come in this morning.

“Rise,” the girl whispered as she knelt down beside Dawn. Dawn glanced over to the woman. “She’s telling you to rise,” the girl continued as she closed her eyes to hear the voice, “but you’re too distracted to hear her so she’s asking me to speak for her.”

“I-“ Dawn went to speak, something like that wasn’t supposed to happen, but every voice in the chorus heard the Voice just the same, so she wasn’t going to question the messages of another. “Tell her thank you,” Dawn said as she picked herself up off of the ground. Her wings felt heavy, like lead.

“You already have,” the girl responded, “but now she needs you to listen for yourself.”

Dawn stood beside the girl for a moment as her wings seemed to weigh her down, tight and stiff but somehow not uncomfortable, like they were supposed to be like that. Like she was supposed to walk.

The light of daybreak snuck through the open door to the cathedral, and more members of the church poured in to hear the voice. Dawn took a step toward the door and the first in the line of many passed her.

“Rise,” the man said.

“Rise,” the old woman behind him commanded.

“Rise,” the two children that tailed her pleaded.

Dawn pushed through incoming crowd toward the open door.

“Rise”

“Rise.”

“Rise”

Dawn shoved out into the morning sun, the sea air washing over her as she stopped at the edge of the cliff the cathedral was built on. She stared down at the waves crashing against the rocks below her, her wings were practically bound from how heavy they felt, but she knew she had to keep going.

She’d die.

Dawn went to take a step backward, but she felt a hand on her back.

Grand Voice Sylas spoke from behind her, “Rise, Dawn.”

“RISE!” The voices in the church behind her yelled.

“Rise,” Dawn reassured herself before taking a step backward, this time to begin a running start.

“RISE” the church chanted.

Dawn leapt off the cliff and went to spread her wings, but they were still lead. She fell, tumbling towards the sea, spinning in the air. She careened toward the ocean rocks, a flash of white beside the sea cliff.

Ŗ̸́͡I̢͢͢͡S҉̴͢͢E͜͏͡

Dawn didn’t spread her wings, but reached out with her hand. Her fingers caught the edge of some rock and she slowed her fall. Her arm cracked and groaned from the effort, but she held onto the outcrop and snapped to a stop, her fall broken.

The angel hung on the edge of the rockface, cold sweat dripping down her back as she started to pull herself up the side of the cliff, each handhold more obvious than the last.

By the time she was nearly at the top Dawn could unfurl her wings.

R̸̢͢͟i̴͏͡ş͞͏͜͠ȩ̡n̷͘͜.͢҉̨́͠

OOC: Dawn is now a tier 2 VIP 1MIL 1 ADV

11. - Top - End - #41
    Ettin in the Playground

Morale 7

Chemosh returned to his realm. It wasn't as triumphant as it should have been. They had expanded and done a great good but were still punished for it. There was hope still though, the culprit was obvious. They might have destroyed people's livelihoods but at least they held to the same zero casualty rate mentality that had served the necromancers so well. It could be repaired, they just needed to take back what was destroyed from those who assaulted them.

He sighs as he goes to Salazar to get some notes written.

Spoiler: Astral Collective
    Show

Did we happen to have the same targets in the last couple of months? We spent our time freeing the slaves of Balam but there was no way that was all us.

We were wondering if your time spent watching us made you reconsider your position or not? We would love some assistance with dealing with the aggressors who decided that people should starve and go homeless purely for their race. Even if you don't want to assist with that, we have to check to see if we can get any economical aid. We really need it and we can give some things as collateral.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Asking to trade one of my permanent stats for a permanent stat in economy temporarily. I just really need a 1 in economy and I'm willing to trade other stuff for it (though preferably not magic or morale seeing we kind of need those not to get more stats destroyed)

Spoiler: The Free City of Khasal
    Show

How goes things your lands? Are you willing to talk more about working together on a target now? We have a specific one in mind, and we could use some more people all working together to end it quickly and to get as much loot as possible.

Spoiler: Silvermist
    Show

We heard about the news and wanted to send our condolences. If you have the resources we can try to raise him as an undead, if you want.

Show

The City of Wraiths are offering to raise him, but it would mostly be fluff with you spending the resources to make a new vip.

Spoiler: Giant in the Playground Hearthstone Champion
    Show

12. - Top - End - #42
    Orc in the Playground

The Free City of Khasal

Hubris is a Coward’s Word

The City of Wonders

Vetali, the priests said, was one of the first titans, who had never forgiven the gods for the creation of the world, for caging her and her vision in bars of time and space. And so she guided and tutored foolish mortals, leading them to heights of art and artifice so glorious they surpass the god’s design, and so shatter the prison of the world.

On the day of her Festival, it certainly felt like she might be getting close. The air tasted like ozone and the sun looked like an oil slick smeared across the sky. The unseasonably hot and dry spring wind carried chittering and sibilant whispers just barely too quiet to properly hear, and everyone quickly grew accustomed to ignoring motion in the corner of their eye.

In every public square and plaza, there was some sort of competition or demonstration, both tributes to the Muse of Glory and extremely public chances to win the adoration of the crowd and potential patrons. Everything from rhetoric to poetry to sculpture and paint to acrobatic and duelling, interspersed with grand displays of treasure and heralds boasting and telling tales of their employer’s accomplishments.

And in the courtyard of the Old Palace, and the Assembly Grounds, and the grand arenas in the city centre, the real competition was underway. The fabric of reality was threadbare and stretch taut as every theurge, metaphysician, arcanist and warlock in this new world’s greatest nexus of magical talent competed to put on the most sublime and dazzling display.

Presently, the judges of the contest-cultists of the Muse, wearing robes sewn together from pages of banned literature and blasphemous theology the world over-stared at a vast planar orrery, the vision in its centre flicking from hell to heaven to primal void. When it returned to the material world, it showed a vision of a small forest village in a distant land, littered with small tears in creation and filled with miracle-workers.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Glass and Wind

The ambush had been perfect, or close to it. Several dozen armed men and orcs surrounded the small elven party, blades drawn and arrows notched. And for all that, their leader didn’t seem the slightest bit worried as he stared down the bandit chief.

“I extended you invitation. I offered you a future. It is not too late! Accept my gifts, be welcomed as my brother in the City! All this might still be forgotten.”

The reply was almost snarled as the chief pressed a blade against his throat. “How stupid do you think we are, you knife-eared ****? That we’ll be bought with a few trinkets and cheap tricks?”

“Your peers have, to the benefit of all.” Still calm and unworried, there was a dangerous glint in the elf’s eyes now. “But if you refuse my generosity and insult my honour, I see no point in continuing this-" He whistled and made a practiced arcane gesture, and cloud of blades, each an intricate work of stained and shining glass, shot forth from his mount’s saddlebags, dozens upon dozens of scalpels, sabres, and everything in between flying unerringly towards the unfortunate orc. His screams were neither quiet nor short-lived as his skin was pierced in a score of places and dragged into the air, newly formed shining blades starting to recover his skin for a future work of art before they bothered killing him.

A smile playing across his lips, a dozen massive blades floating around him, Vyas Asraya too in the remaining bandits. “I ask again, who leads you? There is yet time to accept my offer.”

------------------------------------------------------------

The Devil You Don’t

Quepta was barely a city-a glorified town, really. But it was the largest in the province, and it had accepted Khasal’s offer of incorporation and defence, and so now it was treated to a parade. A dozen different free companies marched proudly down its main streets, vibrant and garish uniforms often marred with ash and blood from ‘liberating’ those towns that had proven less susceptible to reason. Above them trotted Astral Knights, mounted on unicorns and nightmares and able to freely walk across air like packed rock, and the ifrit and rakshasa committed to the City’s cause, in a bewildering array of wondrous forms.

While seemingly every soul in town lined the streets and looked out the windows to get a good look at their new ‘fellow citizens’, any effort spent looking for Quepta’s real rulers was wasted. The City Fathers and the army’s Captains were safely ensconced in a storeroom quickly converted to host a massive and beautifully detailed map of the region. Clearly leading the discussion was Lia Misri, the Mother of Monsters-looking like she was dressed for and would much rather be at the Festival back home. (Her attendants for the moment were three lepers she had passed by on the road. They now looked perfectly, well, perfect, more suited to portraiture or a harem than anything else. At least unless you looked too closely at the teeth, or asked what happened to the bandits who’d attacked shortly after).

“The outlying villages and towns are fully secured now, either the devil’s didn’t want a fight this early or they’re coming after us from some other direction. Captain Ratri has reached the pass and the shades sent ahead haven’t even had to kill anything. If we press on now, we could-”

“And abandon us? What if they teleport past you? Or possess all of us? Or-”

”Captain? Father? If you keep babbling I’m gong to replace your voices with something I actually enjoy listening to, understand?”

One painfully awkward beat of silence later, she smiled and continued.
    ”Invading hell without preparation is just asking nicely to get tortured for the rest of time. And if they want to try and be subtle, I’ll enjoy the practice on something immaterial. If anyone’s really that suicidal, I promise you there are more dignified ways of going about it.”

“The Assembly has debated and voted, and we have a frontier. Quepta will be remade into a fortress-city worthy of the title, in free and equal federation with Khasal. Congratulations, if you’re in this room, you’ve been charged with carrying that out. Now, unless you’re volunteering to set up my equipment, please leave.”

It was weeks and months to properly restore order to the province, and it would be years to give all the new Citizens a proper understanding of their new political role. But between the presence of the famed mage taking the city as the site for her laboratory and the constant arrival of new material for fortifications and construction, Quepta’s population was soon swelling form old world immigrants and local landless farmers alike. Soon it might even deserve the title of city.
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Correspondences [Morale 2, just read]

Spoiler: The Church of the Voice
    Show

The message arrives much as the last one did, a beautiful origami swan flying under it’s own power to land and unfurl itself on the Grand Voice’s desk.

Hail Grand Voice Kal of the Speaker’s Church

I am ill-suited to games of ambiguity and hidden allegiances, and bow to the wisdom of the People when they charge one who speaks the serpent’s tongue fluently to attend a council of his peers. A treaty of peace is a lovely bit of paper, but I find myself curious as to how it will hold when there are no longer mountains and seas between the City and the other signatories.

Now, what is an angel but a messenger, a pleasing shape put around power and given a song to sing? And if a messenger throws its purpose upon the ground and flees rather than defend it, why should anyone else be troubled to? If your Voice wishes to be heard, she should send followers who can make her case, and not simply demand the dominion of sovereign souls.

Surely you have messengers who do not flee at confrontation?

To Glory,
    The Magnificent Vyas Asraya, Maestro of Falling Stars, Lord of the Broken Coast, Great Man of the Republic.

Show

The message is delivered by sea, carried by what seems like an ingenious melding of leopard seal and orc.

To the Captain of the Mists,

My condolences for the loss of your champion, and my compliments to the skill of your poets. Luck extracting whatever measure of satisfaction from the assassins you desire.

While living, he once told a friend that he considered adventuring against the Legions of Hell a noble and worthy endeavour. Is that, I wonder, a popular opinion amongst your company?

May your dreams burn more brightly than the sun,
    Lia Misri, Weaver in Blood and Bone, Protector of Quepta

Spoiler: City of Wraiths
    Show

Salutations, Master Chemosh!

As I wrote in the summer, it’s always a pleasure to receive your correspondence, even if the results of the summit were something of a disappointment. But, as to your present proposal-yes! Well, properly speaking I will need to hear specifics and gather some interested parties among our citizenry, but the capacity and interest certainly exists for the moment.

On less happy subjects, as I understand it your coven is undergoing a bit of money trouble at the moment, yes? If you might require some assistance I believe that I could quite easily organize a consortium to offer you a loan on extremely reasonable terms. All in the name of future cooperation, of course.

Best wishes and regards,
    The Esteemed Corin Lettara, Friend of the People

13. - Top - End - #43
    Ettin in the Playground

Morale 7

Spoiler: The Free City of Khasal
    Show

Thank you for considering the alliance.

The main target is the Pillar of Wisdom. It is pretty clear they did the attack, given the amount of damage they did and the lack of theft. There is no one else with the magic and motive to do it unless the Truth Speakers decided they wanted to break the pact they signed, which seems unlikely. As for the terms, I suggest we do an equal amount of work breaking through the defences and then what we get is what we get. The ultimate goal of course is to cause a peaceful collapse, an economic collapse or a morale collapse seems like the best choice. The mages should just start leaving if either were to occur.

We are open to a loan, we are checking with the Astral Collective first, due to their higher pool of funds and higher chance to do it for economic aid. If we can't get the aid from them, we could give some things as collateral. To be returned once we repay the loan and what ever fees you would want to negotiate.

Spoiler: OOC feel free to read if you can read the rest of the message
    Show

I need a hard stat of economy so there are a few options. A temporary exchange of one of my hard stats for that and then me repaying it back to you plus the additional fee. If you have the 5 temporary economy to make an economic stat (or anything large enough to make an economic stat), I would also gladly accept that and then repay the loan over time. I just really need one economy at the beginning of the turn.

Show

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

Free City of Khasal

Morale 2

Show

A very interesting proposal, and your logic certainly seems sound. Of the two possibilities, I believe that my friends will be rather more interested in the, ah, material option, if you understand my meaning?

Now, you mention ‘equal effort’-a noble sentiment I can certainly get behind, but a rather vague one when it comes to actually doing the accounting. Just how much are you willing to invest in this project?

Now, as to the loan-I’m sure you’re well-informed as to politics, and so are very aware that my dear City has found itself with a potentially hostile border. A detachment of Revenant
    and ghouls that might help fortify it would be ideal collateral.

As for additional fees, I don’t imagine that much will be required. Perhaps a promise of future cooperation along the same lines, with a focus closer to my home than yours?

Best wishes and regards,
    The Esteemed Corin Letara, Friend of the People

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

tongue Re: Total War: Rise of Kingdoms IC

The City of Wraiths Morale 7

Salazar rolls his eyes as Chemosh continued to talk on and on. Changing slight things and talking about possible changes.

Maybe it would be best if you wrote the note, sir? Or maybe just let me do the editing
    While you rest?

Hah, good one Salazar. The grand duke of death writing his own notes. I guess I could have some no name do it but this way we get to spend time together. Isn't that fun, Salazar? Now where was I?
    Chemosh says smiling a toothless smile. He looks off into the distance for a second before droning on.

Salazar just tries his best to keep the annoyance of his face as he goes back to writing. He could only hope another conference would be called or that Chemosh would get distracted working on the runes so he could go back to doing his job.

Spoiler: The City of Khasal
    Show

Ah right, forgot they can read your mail. To clarify, when I say equal effort I just mean for getting in. We obviously don't need the same amount of detachments or anything. It will take about 4 units of spies to get everyone into position if I'm right and they haven't reinforced their defences. So we split that work evenly then what ever remains robs as much as possible. We could also do ratios of the total stolen if you prefer that. So if you send 5 people and I send 10 I would get 2/3rds of what is stolen. Either way works for me. As you are helping you would get first dibs but I do doubt they will run out of things we want.

As for the solution to everyone reading your messages here is a few word switches you can do. When you are talking about attacking a place you can say what number of your standard detachments are going by saying that you will be visiting some place at some time where the time is the amount you are bringing. The place you go actually dictates what you plan for your main force to be. So military you are going to some place where the second letter is an i, spies the second letter is e, magic the second letter is a, if you plan to bribe them then use the second letter as o, if you want to use your reputation then y and finally if you are planning to use adventurers then use the second letter as u. If you plan to bring as many additional forces as possible then have the 5th letter as what ever vowel you want. If you ever want to attack a specific place, then try to include a word from their country's name or a derivative of it near to the sentence. Seeing I specifically asked for the Pillar of Wisdom, you won't have to squeeze pillar or wisdom in but once they aren't a major threat I am open to places to attack.

So for example of the code, I plan to go visit Benby soon, maybe 10 days from now? It may be wise to meet up then.

Now decode that just to make sure the code makes sense.

If you got 10 units of spies and some amount of reputation you have it correct. I also used wise which is close to wisdom so I want to attack the Pillar of Wisdom. I will usually ask to clarify anyways what target you want because again anyone who can read my mail read me explaining this to you and we don't want confusion.

Seeing anyone who can read my plans can also read the code I just laid out I will just say fully what I plan to bring. I plan to bring 10 units of spies, 3 more units of something that will synergize with what ever you bring but probably reputation and some adventurers to act as a distraction, Mr. Jenkins and my Vizier. Sadly, I myself will be busy working on the defences. We have enough magic that we should be able to hold out but if I'm not there, the magic might become unstabilized.

If you actually want to meet up just choose a place that doesn't have a vowel as the second letter. This method also doesn't actually say important leaders who are coming. There isn't much to be done unless I started describing a bunch of code words for each leader we have and then it would probably get obvious.

Also, of course we can supply some soldiers as collateral. They shouldn't be needed for the war against the Pillar and there is still enough territory that it is doubtful any one will try to invade soon.

Last edited by Hamste; 2019-12-26 at 01:04 AM.

Show

16. - Top - End - #46
    Titan in the Playground

The Ironfang Republic
    Morale 6
    Reputation 6

Round the Mortal Temples of a King

In an unassuming back room in one of the many halls of the Circle of Songs lay the most important non-goblin in the Republic. Kraelos was something of an anomaly, his shaggy white fur an indicator of both age and status among barghests but extremely unusual for anyone else. About ten feet long from tip to tail, he reclined on his side on a plain carved wooden bench as he luxuriated in the warmth of the nearby fireplace. As he meditated, his thoughts drafted back inevitably to the course that his nation had charted in recent months.

The summit had been, in all measures of the word, a success. Bruthazmus had lived up to his monicker, setting forth the motion first before the Council of Clans and winning over most of the elders. Then he had done what no other goblin in history had done before: he had reached out to states across the continent, and his summons were heeded. Kraelos - like nearly everyone else on Hanrui at this point - had read the official records of the Solstice Summit of Oprak, though his understanding of the events had also been complemented by individual testimonies of several of the chiefs. By all accounts, Bruthazmus had accorded himself and the Republic with honor, and the attendant nations had struck a non-aggression deal that favored all involved parties. The Republic had come out of the entire affair with a strong international position, and Bruthazmus’s office had been hosting meetings with ambassadors and petitioners for weeks.

And then Aza took the army and invaded the Lantern Hills.

To be fair to his pupil’s choice, she had observed the regulations set aside in the Articles of Iron. Fair warning had even given to the local governments, all skirmishes had been contained, and the entire operation was concluded with civilian casualties kept to an absolute minimum. All the same, the Immortal General’s expansionist enterprise threatened the very foundations of the Republic’s newfound image. Kraelos thought back to the conversation he’d had with Aza before her departure, of the words spoken and lines drawn. Brothers knew, he regretted his part in that squabble. She had made good points, besides: the Accords made them strong, but playing peacemaker was not the goblin way. She had been reckoning with seditious, warmongering officers and rebellious elements in her ranks since their arrival on Hanrui, and the more the Accords restricted the troops, the more restless they became. He had tried to dissuade her, to remind her of the failures of her time and how they might succeed together, but she had stormed off before they could conclude their discussion.

Her choices had brought him - had brought the Ironfang Republic - to a crossroads. On the one side lay Bruthazmus’ bright new future, one marked by treaties and deals struck around tables. On the other lay Aza’s blood-soaked past that held onto honor, tradition, and individual strength. As in most things, Kraelos forestalled his own judgment and thought back to the stories of Jang and Kherak. They too had disagreed once in the past about the path of the goblinoid races, and their conflict led to a period of deific turmoil. Among the rarer chronicles of that history, the Dhakaani had called it Maz’karan, the Epoch of Trouble. During that time, the goblin peoples had fought over the right course for their race, trying to resolve the question of history versus destiny. For years, he had considered the Republic the best of both worlds, but as long as their foremost champion was so conflicted, he was not so sure that such a dream could be achieved. Which way was best: holding onto what came before, or adapting to meet a new era?

Kraelos stared at the fire for hours, and the answer still eluded him.

Spoiler: To the Church of the Truth Speaker and the Astral Collective
    Show
    Two copies of the same letter are sent out to different addresses in the same semi-rough scrawl, with only minor changes made between each document.

Dearest Speaker,

As my confederate stated in our earlier correspondence, I would welcome the chance to visit the Fortress of First Words in order to deal further about the fate of Rivaness and of Hanrui as a whole. I will confess that my own curiosity about your faith’s practices comes from several lifetimes of studying contrasting religions and their use as a basis for political action. In this regard, I expect that your Voice might be quite exemplary to study in person.

The presence of the Astral Collective hardly bothers us. In fact, our own foreign relations experts have already reached out to them in recent months in hope of securing a second sit-down, due to our shared ideals and methodology. Between us, we represent the lion’s share of the political power on this landmass upon which we find ourselves. Only the Dwarf Lords of Khazn Durn would remain uninvited... and we were hoping to speak to them as well in due course.

Would it be possible for the four representatives of our continent to meet privately and talk about the future of Hanrui? Based on the summit, I believe that we can all do a lot more good and benefit greatly from working together, as opposed to tearing each other apart. As of yet, the Republic has refrained from tipping anyone in their kingdom off about our communication, but if they are to be brought into the fold, I believe that speaking openly might be a wiser course of action.

I await your reply,

Brother Kraelos

Keeps Death His Court

"And he walks among the treetops...," Azaersi whispered to herself as stood at the ready in the blooding ring. A few wooden stakes and several hundred soldiers surrounded the pair on all sides, raucous cheering echoing out in waves over the beach. She took her time facing down her opponent, taking him in. Teraxian had ogre-blood, which gave him a great advantage in both strength and reach. He gave her an open sneer, discarding the mask of false servility he had been wearing on the campaign so far. It made for a refreshing change of pace. The lieutenant dragged a sword of slag-fired steel nearly six feet long through the sand, grinning nastily at her as he raised it in a mocking salute. She did not draw her own weapon.

"And is taller than the trees..." With a nod, the challenge began. No sooner than the signal was given, Teraxian was moving. The greatsword whistled down towards Azaersi’s head, but she didn’t care. She saw the blade’s trajectory in the arm of its wielder before the swing had ever begun. Sliding half a step to the left, the general watched in satisfaction as what would have been a killing stroke became a disastrous overextension instead. Teraxian was not the first to mistake strength with victory, but he certainly was good at it. Not yet pulling out any steel, Azaersi punched her treacherous underling with her gloved mail right in the side of the knee as he passed her, causing him to buckle and nearly fall.

"And his voice through all the garden is thunder set to bring..." Azaersi’s words were audible now as she stepped forward towards the stumbling Teraxian. Grimacing at his leg, he did his best to walk it off. All the same, it had slowed him down... and it gave her the opening she needed. Charging at the lieutenant and slipping under his guard, the hobgoblin drew the adamantine dagger from her belt and opened her enemy’s throat in one single, fluid motion. Eyes wide, the half-ogre brought up his sword for another two clumsy swings before collapsing to the sands and bleeding his last.

Goodbye, Teraxian. You were never as clever as you thought you were. Wiping the black blood from off of her dagger before returning it to its place on her belt, General Azaersi turned towards her troops. The faces that looked back at her were mostly her own kin, but she saw goblins, gnolls, a few ogres and even a minotaur present. Her recruitment officers had not seen fit to discriminate, a fact which Azaersi was proud of, but there were many here that she did not recognize. It wouldn’t matter, in the end. They would desist or they would die. Standing tall, the bald general strode proudly to the front of the mass of her soldiers.

"All of you who count yourselves a part of this Republic, you have signed away the right to raze and pillage at your whims. According to the articles of war, fair spoils shall be given to victors according to their measure. During the sack of Leamin Town, these articles were ignored in favor of unacceptable and rapacious violence. This is a professional army, and I will not have our name tarnished the way it was in the past!" She was shouting now, pacing up and down the same stretch of beach as her words fell over the crowd. "We will not give the world over a chance to judge us by the standards of monsters! The old ways are dead, just like Teraxian here. If any of you have a problem with that, you can challenge me and join him in the hereafter."

Azaersi waited patiently in the silence for a successor to the malcontents, for another Teraxian to step forward. Nobody did. After a few minutes, she dismissed the now-cowed soldiers and began the walk up to her hillside pavilion. Halfway up the slope, she was met with the stooped figure of Raeling, her aide-de-camp. "Report," she rasped.

"The last of the resistance fighters have been located and neutralized, general. The Lantern Hills are yours. Commanders Yrthin and Maugrim have been assigned to set up patrols along the main roads and begin preparations for the movement by sea to Beauvalais Island." The goblin then began to list the other troop movements so far, as well as status updates from Oprak, before Azaersi raised one bloody hand to silence him.

"What about my ships, Raeling? I need at least four seaworthy vessels within the fortnight if the expeditionary force is to be ready in time."

"Yes yes, of course general. We have acquired the craft and pilots from the Vallenor docks for the season, it is only a matter of sailing them up the coast to your encampment." Raeling raised an eyebrow in her direction. "If you do not mind my asking, general... where are you planning on going?"

Azaersi clicked her fangs and curled her lips into a sharp smile. "To where the fighting is thickest."

Spoiler: To All
    Show
    The scroll that arrives in palaces and keeps across Hanrui is deceptively simple, on good quality vellum and bound with a single blood-red band. Stamped in wax are the official seals of the Republic, as well as the insignia of a bird of prey with wings of daggers - the personal sigil of Azaersi.

Greetings, princes of Hanrui,

My name is General Azaersi, from the Ironfang Republic of Rivaness. Some of you may have heard of me. Our Republic’s leadership has declared an era of peace across these lands, desiring to put an end to all violence. While this dream is a noble one and I hope to one day see it realized, the truth remains that there are many uncivilized threats that have yet to be eradicated, and there is glory yet to be won.

The forces of the Republic are prepared to lend a hand to deal with today’s most imminent threats. We have readied an expeditionary regiment of 3000 of my finest troops - plus support and sapper crews with goblin munitions - to sail across the Sindar Ocean. I plan on leading this force myself. However, ours is a professional army and we do not work for free. We are prepared to fight for coin or favor to our new homeland of Oprak. One final condition: the Republic has signed treaties of strict non aggression with the Free City of Khasal, the Church of the Truth Speaker, and the Wraiths of the Perished Isles. As such, any contract undertaken cannot see our armies fielded against those polities.

If you agree to our terms and conditions, the fearsome army of the Ironfang goblins will fight for your safety and prosperity. By season’s end, we will decide who our most worthy client is.

- General Azaersi

Show
    So here it is: I am loaning off some of my military strength - 5 MIL for the time being - and an extra 1 point of ADV for the turn. If anyone is planning an attack against a neighbor or just wants some reinforcements, having extra protection in the form of elite hobgoblin corps led by my nation’s Military VIP will come in handy. If this is successful, I might be able to arrange a long term contract.

As of right now, my asking price is 4 ECO or REP, in any combination. That price may increase if I get competing offers. I will field offers of employment from everyone who asks, but I am taking REP and alignment into consideration when making deals.
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-12-27 at 11:19 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

17. - Top - End - #47

RogueGuy

Silvermist

Captain Goldfinder stood in front of his tent. No one was left who would do anything, no one was left who would oppose his warriors. No one one who would challenge his power, or so Captain Goldfinder believed. He was a loner, a thinker. A man with ideas. He had set his task to create a movement. A movement on the idea to create a perfect society. A movement that would cost him more than he bargained for.

His bards worked far into the night to create a story. A tale of adventure and turmoil. Few could ignore the tales and songs sung to them. The tale was put out to create change. To grab the ear of the nations that stood against darkness.

“It isn’t all bad.”

“How can you dare to whisper those words to me. I have given everything I can. Now, there will be no mercy. We will reach out with one purpose."

Spoiler: Wraiths: Mor 7
    Show
    I cannot as a father watch you break the spirit of my son. If he is brought back, in what manner of monster will he be?

Spoiler: The Free City of Khasal: Mor 7
    Show
    Your words fall on tormented ears. It is my rage that the demons will find you all sleeping in the night. Yet my son was not incorrect in his motive. The legions of hell make for good adversaries. We will push towards your lands with all of our strength. We hope that we can find a peace between us. The demons will stretch out upon this land with no end. We will drive to take lands on the coast (23).

Spoiler: Ironfang Republic: Mor 7
    Show
    We hear your offer. My son wished that our countries could work in this way. I am sorry, I was wrong to tell him to turn away. For when he fell, I was the only one who cared. When he died , he died in vain. I must warn you, and though it’s something you may not understand. I take away the weight his shoulders had to bear. We ask your support in taking the lands that demons would settle. We are willing to pay (4 eco) for your soldiers. This fight is not your yours, but we hope that you will find it in your heart, having heard the Tale of Grock (5 rep) to help us in our endeavour.

Spoiler: Brotherhood of Sin: Mor 7
    Show
    We see the act of taking the lands beside us as and act of war. You have failed to inform of this movement. As there is a common enemy between us, we assume that you meant no offense. Pull all of your forces from this land (22) or I will be forced to act as if your armies march towards us.
    Last edited by LimSindull; 2019-12-26 at 03:25 AM.
    Bastilonis

18. - Top - End - #48

RangerGuy

King Thurgrin marched back up the mountain along newly reinforced roads, leading his contingent of honor guard, lawmakers and engineers back into the Dwarf Hold. As he passed by the new battlements and surveyed the defensive works, he nodded with pleasure as the Hold took form into a stronghold befitting a dwarf king. The glint of shields and armored dwarves and the unmistakable form of artillery emplacements made for a pleasing sight.

"Good. Been hard at work while I was away."

As he entered the hold through the massive, reinforced gates, he made his way to his throne room.

"Send for me son and the Forgemaster."

He sits down on his throne and surveys the room. They had added some more intricate carvings to the walls while he was away, and the work was making the room start to come together. Eventually it would be suitable for hosting foreign dignitaries, but it would have to do for now. His neighbors were large and with vast militaries of their own, so treaties would have to be made.

As Thane Durstrim and Forgemaster Kargrin enter the throne room, they bow to their king.

"Good! The work proceeds well, I see. Good work, lads."

"Aye, father. We've raised a new company o' shield dwarves an' trained two batteries o' rock throwers an' spear chuckers. They've been assigned t' th' walls as a permanent guard."

"Good. A good start. Make sure a company is sent north to our new lands. We've promised our new citizens security for their fealty, and, by my beard, I'm not breakin' me oath."

"As ye wish, father."

The King then turns his attention to his Forgemaster. "Ye've done well, Forgemaster. The road up the mountain be smooth an' easy to travel. That'll make tradin' much easier. Yer task now be to spread th' roads t' our other provinces. Link our lands togeth'r, an' all our people will prosper."

"Aye, me king. That'll be done."

"And have yer smiths forge somethin' nice. A nice shield, sized fer a hobgoblin."

The Forgemaster looks a bit perplexed. "Ye wish me t' spend time forgin' fer a hobgoblin, me king?"

A stern look is returned to the Forgemaster. "Aye. An' I know tha' may be unpleasant, but we must put aside old grudges if we are to survive in these new lands. Fortifications, nay matter 'ow big and 'ow strong only go so far if ye 'ave no friends."

The Forgemaster nods. "As y' wish, me king."

Spoiler: To Church of the Truth Speaker (Mor 7)
    Show
    To the Grand Voice Dawn Johanna,

On the topic of territories, ceding our port and harbor [42] is out of the question. You would ask us to give up our trade link to the rest of the world.

I can understand one's need for lands for their people to inhabit, and such is why I offered to not contest the lands east of our Hold [43] even though they are of such close proximity. I seek peace on this continent, and it was my hope that this gesture of good faith and trust in my neighbor would show that clearly.

I have no objection to you continuing to expand southward. I had figured you would wish for the fertile grassland on the east side of the lake [44] to feed your people, and thus have made no plans for expansion into that territory to leave it available to you. As to the territory that guards the harbor [39], I have already guaranteed protection and safety to those living there per an agreement with the Ironfang Republic.

In regards to the proposal to trade raw resources for magical services, such may be agreeable. Allow me some time to confer with my Forgemaster to determine what is available at this time for trade.

By my hand,
    King Thurgin Wildhammer

Spoiler: To Ironfang Republic (Mor 7)
    Show
    To Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued,

Greetings to our western neighbors. Firstly, congratulations on your recent expansion toward the coast. In the coming seasons we are planning on building roads throughout our territory and we would like to inquire if you would be interested in linking with these roads in order to forge the bonds of trade and cooperation between our people. We have included a small gift for your General with the ambassador bearing this message as an example of what our smiths can forge and as a gesture of goodwill to your people.

The second topic that we would like to discuss is a mutual defense treaty. Our two nations have the strongest militaries and highest reputations among the free people of this new world, and a mutual defense treaty would guarantee both or nation's safety and security for the generations to come. None would be wise to attack either of our nations as the other nation would be bound by honor to come to their defense, and the armies we could muster in that unified purpose would be unbreakable.

This would not be a treaty that would require the other nation to enter war in the case of aggression by either party, but would require both parties to defend the other in the case that an invader attacked them. I know that the Ironfang Republic is seeking peace in this new world, and so is the Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn. Let us work together toward this goal and guarantee each others' safety in doing so.

On the third topic, I would warn you of some concern I have in regards to the Church. They have stated interest in their most recent missive for the territory of my trade port [42] and in expanding toward your lands [39]. The manner in which they speak is of concern as it seems quite intent on expansion, including into sovereign territory. I fear they may seek to destabilize this continent.

By my hand,
    King Thurgin Wildhammer

[[Included with the message is a fine shield made of Kingsteel (mithril) bearing the sigil of the Ironfang Republic in silver and gold. ((Giving 1 ECO this turn.))]]

Spoiler: To All
    Show
    Greetings to all civilized nations of this new world,

The Dwarven Hold of Khazn Durn is open and willing to trade with any interested parties. Whether you have need of fine metalworks to improve your throne room, the finest weapons and armors to defend your homeland or engineers and advisers to help plan and build fortifications, the Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn is willing to negotiate a suitable price.

In Honored Service to the King,
    Forgemaster Kargrin Firehammer
    Last edited by Janwin; 2019-12-26 at 12:21 PM.

19. - Top - End - #49

Spoiler: MOR 5; To the Ironfang Republic and the Astral Collective.
    Show

The Church is more interested in a meeting without the Dwarven hold, they were unwilling to attend the peace summit, and we are worried that such lack of care about the future for greater Hanrui might point toward an economic obsession.

We are discussing with the dwarves separately as well, but for the time being a meeting of three may be easier to organize politically.

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal MOR 5
    Show

This time, the letter is delivered by a small retinue of angels who stop with the later and wait for it to be read.

We are willing to field your questions, may these humble servants of the voice be found satisfactory.

Spoiler: To The Dwarven Hold MOR 5
    Show

We appreciate you considering out request for your lands. We understand that it would be a great amount of charity even disregarding the trade routes that you use the sea for.

Additionally on the topic of [39] We had not gotten news of your promises of protection in the North, we did not wish to offend, if the people of that land are under a strong banner we are pleased with the arrangement. Though we do ask that any who hear the voice are allowed free passage into our territory, they will be welcomed with open arms.

Please keep us advised on manners of trade.

Last edited by Writtensanity; 2019-12-26 at 12:45 PM.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Titan in the Playground

The Ironfang Republic
    Morale 6
    Reputation 6

Spoiler: To the Astral Collective and the Church of the Truth Speaker
    Show
    Dearest Speakers,

While it was not obvious at the time of the summit itself, it has since been made clear to us here in Oprak that their absence was due to inaccessibility and inclement weather on the part of the messengers. By the time a reply could be given, it was too late. However, since the time of our initial correspondence, the Holds of Khazn Durn have been cordial, lawful, and forthcoming with their own foreign interests.

The Republic asks kindly that you reconsider your current position on sitting down with the dwarves. We can vouch for their integrity, which they have proved in the last season through fair-handed territorial divisions. Our finest minds in the Council of Clans have come up with a course of action that we believe might benefit all four of the nations that currently occupy Rivaness. It would only be fair that King Thurgin be permitted to send a representative to such a meeting as well. However, since we are meeting on your grounds, the final say is up to you.

I await your reply,

Brother Kraelos

Show
    Basically I’m taking the offered out of game excuse that Janwin offered me as to why their faction didn’t attend the summit - I don’t think their nation should be excluded just because the player wasn’t active for a week.

Spoiler: To the Dwarves of Khazn Durn
    Show
    The reply is prompt, delivered by carrier hawk to the slopes of the dwarves’ mountain stronghold within a week of the parcel being delivered to Oprak. The missive is gilded and has been penned in an immaculate glowing script.

To the good King Thurgin Wildhammer,

Please allow me to be the first to thank you for the gift you sent along with your previous message. It has been well-received by its intended recipient. We hope to return the favor shortly, in a manner that we hope is commensurate to your offering. Rest assured that your proposal has not fallen on deaf ears. The collective spirit that the Republic has tried to foster at the summit has not waned with the passing of months; we would be delighted to discuss a peaceful transition of authority over these lands so that the Kingdom of Khazn Durn and the goblins of Oprak might live harmoniously. Your idea of shared roads would be a great movement in that direction, and a mutual non-aggression pact is something that we can action right away.

Of the Church of the Truth Speaker, we were actually hoping to sit down and discuss territorial concerns with you and them together, as our three nations are so close in proximity. The very last thing that the Republic desires would be an open conflict with either the Church, the Astral Collective, or yourselves. Such squabbles would lead to unnecessary loss of life and coin for all parties involved. However, the Republic has no current desires on the deep water ports of [39], having already brought the Lantern Hills [38] under our protection last season. We believe that we can sway the Church from demanding your lands of [42] as well, given enough time. The Republic is sending an emissary to discuss terms with both the Church and the Collective shortly - we hope to include you in that conversation. After all, a monarch of your stature should never be dictated terms by an outsider.

Best regards,

Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued, Secretary-General of the Republic

Spoiler: To Silvermist
    Show
    The reply, when it comes, is little more than a short scrap of paper rolled up in the talons of a hawk.

The Republic has heard of the Tragedy of Grock, a story which has moved many in our homeland. His candour and expressiveness was well documented at Oprak. Given the ease to which you have met our requirements, we will tentatively accept your offer, provided another group does not step forward with an even better one before season's end.

- General Azaersi
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-12-27 at 11:14 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

21. - Top - End - #51

Spoiler: To The Astral Collective, The Dwarven Hold, and the Ironfang Republic
    Show

If you would all agree, I would like to speak with representatives privately from each of your nations in a conference about the future of our land Rivaness, as well as the future of the lands around it and how the tides have been turning.

Thank you for your consideration. Grand Voice Khal will be available to meet with you all during the Winter Moon.

Show

I am committing Grand Voice Khal to a Rivaness Summit.

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ogre in the Playground

Theocracy of Shemesh

Public message to Legion of Balance

Quote Originally Posted by Zweanslord View Post

Djehu contemplates what was said.

"Illuminating. So an abundance of good, you say, will lead to, in time, a large disaster as bastions of good fall to corruption or ire. Which will be a disaster of far greater scale than local conflicts when good and evil are in balance. Did I cast the light correctly from the Legion's point of view?"

"What sphere of influence and interaction does the Legion acknowledge here in Hanrui, if they differ from landmasses?"
    Withouth receiving an answer, for reasons unstated, left in darkness, Djehu eventually returned to the Theocracy of Shemesh.

Djehu made his way to the Legion of Balance again. A shorter journey this time, as the border has moved adjacent to the territory of the Theocracy of Shemesh.

"The Legion of Balance has moved closer to the Theocracy of Shemesh. Earlier, you issued a warning to the forces you see as Good. It is obvious you move to the Light of Shemesh, not in welcome, but to dim. What may disuade you from that course?"

Public message to the Great Church of Truth

Public message to the Great Church of Truth

Nebtise looked shocked at the ahem explaining before her. "You're not in danger?" She cast her head high to the sky, opened her eyes widely, then she looked at the angel again, with a wary look. "Are you sure?"

Looking unconvinced, Nebtise looked at the angel and the fortress. "Alright. The Light of Shemesh guides me. May I be illuminated and cast light on the path before me." She then looked at the angel and offered a friendly smile. "Please, be my torch in this place, show me around and tell me about it and yourself. With help not needed, perhaps we may instead get to know another?"
    After having left when her question met only silence, Nebtise returns.

"Greetings, I am Nebtise of the Theocracy of Shemesh. The Legion of Balance threatens our borders in Darkness. I hope to find a voice of reason here. Do you have advice on how to deal with them?"

Public message to Ironfang Republic

Another male messenger from the Theocracy of Shemesh approached the Ironfang Republic.

"Greetings, I am Ninezzi of the Theocracy of Shemesh. Your message has been received in the Light. Do you have a way to cross the oceans with the armies you offer?"

Public message to the Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn

A female messenger approaches the dwarves.

"Greetings, I am Khiti of the Theocracy of Shemesh. Your message has been received in the Light. Do you have a way to cross the oceans with the services you offer?"

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Free City of Khasal
    Morale 2, yes you can read them.

Show

This all seems like an extremely clever system! That said, I’m afraid the proposed timeframe is a bit outside my ability to coordinate and organize-continental concerns do still need to be seen to in the coming season. On reviewing the books, I believe I myself can commit to arriving in Nex in roughly 8 days for more detailed discussions? If all goes well, I’ll also arrive with a chest full of rubies and leave with a ship full of ghouls.

If all that seems reasonable and fair?

Best wishes and regards,
    The Esteemed Corin Lettara, Friend of the People

Spoiler: Ironfang Republic
    Show

The letter is delivered across sea or mountain by a small feathered serpent. As some small proof against alteration, the message is not carried on it but within it, only revealed when it sheds its skin upon arrival, the discarded scales coming off in a single sheet already filled with precise and elegant calligraphy.

Greetings to Azaersi the Immortal

You have already received one offer to fight in the same war, and I would not be distraught if you accepted it. But still, I look through a mountain pass and see a vision of Hell, teeming with all its slavers and chains. An army to hold the pass, and to train the companies and militias I have gathered here to a standard worthy of being called soldiers, would be easily worth all the treaties and accolades the City can provide, and all its gems and treasures besides. [3 REP, 2 ECO]

May your flesh never be a prison,
    Lia Misri, Weaver in Blood and Bone, Protector of Quepta

Show

To the Grieving Goldfinder,

The warning is appreciated, and you will find no opposition form the City on the matter. I can only hope for peace between us as well, for I certainly have no quarrel with those who risk life and limb seeking riches and glory.

Lia Misri, Blessed of the Architect, Weaver in Blood and Bone

24. - Top - End - #54

The Astral Collective

Three months earlier

Kalira had lived a good life.

Well, if you wanted to be technical, “good” might not be the best way to put it either. She had served her nation well, no? She had sacrificed everything - including herself, dozens of times. In almost all her lives, she had throw herself headfirst into peril in the defense of the Astral Collective. The whispered affirmation from her collective consciousness was little consolation. It wasn’t them she needed to convince.

If you wanted to be even more technical, she’d lived a good fifty or so lives; her various other selves swam in the back of her mind, patiently waiting to add their input. Maybe she could argue that innocents would die? No, that was idiotic; the other hers agreed. They’d executed kalashtar before. Rarely, but it had happened. They would do it again.

Then again, staring up at the Council of Speakers, their faces twisted in anger and disbelief, it was almost worth it just to see them this shaken up. Maybe she should recruit dragons more often.

“-temerity of taking such an action unprompted, and without the blessing of the Council. Kalira is a useful operative, evidently, but she has vastly overstepped her station. A dragon would be one thing, but the very descendant of the Pyresoul, the being who lead waste to our home? MIllions died when we escaped his tyranny! She has made promises that we will not - shall not keep!”

Ahh, that would be speaker Rolind. What a self-righteous ****. He looked like he was about to get an aneurysm. Gods, that would be hilarious. She felt a small pang of guilt at that - or was it one of her other selves? Thank goodness she was powerful enough to conceal her thoughts from any telepaths in the room.

“-light of her behaviour, there can only be one option. Banishment. We cannot allow someone with her knowledge of our operations to roam free on this Hanrui. Kalira must leave this reality and find another. Does anyone have any objections?”

Kalira felt a chill run down her spine. No! They couldn’t. Everything she’d done, it had been for her people. Couldn’t they see that? She had to explain it to them; this was the only way. She struggled against her bonds; they had gagged her after she had made her initial plea. Her eyes desperately scanned the room. Each of the seventeen Speakers had projected their consciousness into this hall; it was inefficient for them to physically travel to a central location for each meeting. Surely someone on the Council would come to her defense? Poliras, maybe? Qualithei? But as she waited, no one said anything in her defense. She bowed her head, holding back tears. Gods, was this really how it ended?

Speaker Rolind’s projection leaned back, his expression dripping with smug satisfaction. “Very well then. Since no one has any-”

“Wait. Perhaps there is an alternative.”

Kalira’s head snapped up. Yes! Speaker Yonren. He was well-respected, as the ‘face’ of the Collective, and was renowned for his wisdom. He could save her.

“Perhaps she could be censured instead. We could remove her psionic abilities, so that she could retain her freedom.”

No! That was worse. Oh, he meant to be kind, surely, but that was a fate worse than death. She had spent her whole life honing her abilities. She could sneak into any room unseen, extract any stray through without a trace. Gods above, she could even erase someone’s mind. She’d done it before, in desperation. Without her powers, what was she?

A smile spread over Rolind’s face. “Yes, I do admit I like that idea, Twelfth Speaker. All in favour?”

Kalira watched helplessly as thirteen of the seventeen members of the Council raised their hands. That was it, then. The end of her story.

“Very well. By majority vote, the Council of Speakers sentences Kalira to indefinite psionic censure; the sentence will be carried out-”

“BEFORE YOU ISSUE YOUR SENTENCE, WE WOULD HAVE YOU CONSIDER OUR WORDS, SPEAKERS.”

The words were like a sledgehammer, smashing into Kalira’s skull. All her selves cried out in unanimous pain, the sound muffled by the gag. By the looks of it, all the Speakers were likewise affected; several of them had to reconstruct their astral projections, their concentration broken.

Kalira raised her eyes to the obelisk at the back of the room, caved with arcane runes. It was a vessel for the most powerful psionic entity on the plane, a gestalt of all the great Speakers to have come before. It was the Zenith. She had never been so grateful to hears its words in her mind.

KALIRA’S ACTIONS WERE UNDOUBTEDLY RECKLESS. SHE HAS ENDANGERED OUR PEOPLE BY INVITING A DRAGON HERE, AND POSSIBLY TARNISHED OUR REPUTATION IN DOING SO. WE AGREE THAT THERE SHOULD BE CONSEQUENCES FOR HER BEHAVIOUR.”

“HOWEVER, ALL OUR CAREFUL CONSIDERATION
    DID NOT SAVE THE ASTRAL COLLECTIVE FROM THE PYRESOUL. THIS COUNCIL’S PLANNING WAS NOT SUFFICIENT TO PREVENT HIM FROM TURNING OUR JUNGLES TO ASH. PERHAPS RECKLESS BEHAVIOUR IS WHAT IS REQUIRED TO SAVE HANRUI.”

“GOBLINS TO THE NORTH. NECROMANCERS TO THE WEST. PERHAPS WE SHOULD NOT BE SO QUICK TO JUDGE THIS ZEILREI. HE MAY WELL NOT POSSESS THE BLOODLUST OF HIS ANCESTOR. PERHAPS HIS TALENTS CAN BE PUT TO USE. AND IF NOT… WE WILL HANDLE THE DRAGON OURSELVES.”

As the Zenith finished, silence fell across the hall. Unsurprisingly, it was Yonren who first spoke. He was used to speaker on behalf of the Collective. “I find myself in agreement with the Zenith. Thank you for lending us your wisdom.”

“Wait! And what of Kalira? You mentioned there should be consequences.” It was that snake, Rolind. Of course he couldn’t let the challenge to the authority of the Council go unpunished.

“YES. I PROPOSE THAT SHE BE PUT IN CHARGE OF ALL OUR COVERT OPERATIONS ON HANRUI. SHE WILL REPORT DIRECTLY TO THE COUNCIL, WHERE YOU CAN CAREFULLY SCRUTINIZE HER ACTIONS. SHE WILL TAKE HER ORDERS FROM YOU.”

This time, the silence was not contemplative but shocked. Kalira couldn’t believe what she was hearing. What - no way - can they - WHAT - how; a dozen voices clamored excitedly through her mind.

“It is an unusual proposition, but we will vote on the Zenith’s suggestion” said Rolind through gritted teeth. “All in favour?”

Kalira counted six hands. Eight. Nine. Come on. Rolind was against her, but all she needed was one more vote. The council required a minimum of ten votes to make a decision. And there it was! Ten. Ten of the speakers had their hands raised. She couldn’t believe it. A promotion? She wanted to laugh and cry at the same time. Gods, what a sick joke.

“Very well then. It is decided. Kalira will be put in charge of our espionage. If we have no other business to discuss, I motion that we dismiss this session of the Council.” Nods all around. The glowing runes on the obelisk faded as the Zenith left; it never rested, constantly moving from household to household to speak to the people of the Collective.

“Kalira, you are free to go. We expect you to report to the Council first thing tomorrow morning. And please… refrain from offering any other beings sanctuary in the Astral Collective for the interim."

Her bindings disintegrated; they had been constructed of psionic energy. She grinned. Things were looking up.

“Perfect. I know exactly where to start.”

Yonren sighed, watching the younger kalashtar leave the hall. He hoped they were making the right decision. I suppose I had better summon Kriik-Krilr and Zina. We’ll need to build somewhere for the dragon to stay.

MORALE 6
    REPUTATION 5

Spoiler: To the Denizens of Rivaness (Ironfang, Church, and Hold):
    Show
    The message is delivered by courier, who informs each recipient that it was dictated and recorded verbatim.

GREETINGS, ESTEEMED NEIGHBORS.

ON BEHALF OF THE ASTRAL COLLECTIVE, WE ACCEPT YOUR PROPOSITION TO MEET. THE COUNCIL WILL SEND SPEAKER YONREN TO MEET WITH YOU.

WE WISH TO NOTIFY YOU THAT THE ASTRAL COLLECTIVE WILL BE EXPANDING INTO [TERRITORY 45] THIS SEASON. WE HAVE HEARD RUMORS OF ANCIENT MAGICS THERE, ONES THAT WE HAVE VERIFIED TO BE TRUE. WE WILL BE SAFEGUARDING THESE FOR THE BETTERMENT OF HANRUI AS A WHOLE. THIS MATTER IS NOT UP FOR DEBATE. WE HOPE THAT THIS DOES NOT INCONVENIENCE ANY OF YOUR NATIONS; WE HAVE NO FURTHER DESIGNS ON ANY OF THE NORTHERN TERRITORIES.

-THE ZENITH OF THE ASTRAL COLLECTIVE

Spoiler: To the City of Wraiths
    Show
    Chemosh finds the note in the pocket of his second-finest bathrobe.

Greetings, Lord Chemosh.

I do not have the same reservations about necromancers that my brethren seem to hold. I believe that our actions define us, and so far you have not seemingly done anything evil. In fact, if your claim to have struck Balam is true, then we are grateful for your actions and are willing to re-consider participation in the non-aggression pact.

We did not strike Balam last season, though we had laid the groundwork for a future strike; perhaps that facilitated things.

Regarding your economic problems, we would be willing to provide you [1 TEMPORARY ECON] for your use next season, in return for the promise of twice that at a future date.

Please let us know if this is something you would consider.

Kalira, Daughter of Silence
    Spymistress of the Astral Collective

Spoiler: To Silvermist:
    Show
    A tired-looking kalashtar materializes in a nearby inn, where they ask for a pen and paper. They write the message and hand deliver it, offering to take a message in return.

Spoiler: To Silvermist:
    Show
    Greetings. I hope this letter finds you well.

I am deeply saddened to hear of Grock’s passing. I was quite fond of the young man when I met him at the Ironfang Summit. Given your grief, the Astral Collective is willing to overlook the rather negative depiction of myself and the other representatives.

I had told Grock that we were potentially willing to provide aid to your nation, provided that you prove yourselves to be more reputable. In the light of his untimely demise, the Astral Collective would like to reiterate our offer of help.

Our offer of aid is twofold. In exchange for whatever espionage and magics you possess, we will investigate Grock’s demise for you and provide you with the names of the ones responsible. We are also willing to strike at the Brotherhood of Evil this turn. They are a threat to Hanrui as a whole, and it would be our privilege to eradicate them.

Please let me know if this acceptable.

Yonren, Twelfth Speaker

Spoiler: OoC
    Show
    OoC: We are willing to use [10 ESP] and [2 MAG] investigating Grock’s demise and/or striking at the Brotherhood of Evil, in exchange for [2 ESP] and [2 MAG] from you for the next three turns.

Last edited by Let'sGetKraken; 2019-12-27 at 09:45 AM.
    Loser of Total War: Rise of Kingdoms
    as
    The Astral Collective

Winner of Total War: Hanrui 3
    as
    The Four Courts of Hanrui/The Equinox League

Plausible Victor of Total War: Pricipia
    as
    The Chrysaorian Hegemony

25. - Top - End - #55
    Titan in the Playground

The Ironfang Republic
    Morale 6
    Reputation 6

Spoiler: To the Denizens of Rivaness (Dwarves of Khazn Durn, Astral Collective, Church of the Truth Speaker)
    Show
    To our fine neighbors in the south,

The Republic's leadership is incredibly pleased to hear that we can all sit down together to discuss our current situation and the years to come together. Brother Kraelos has already left Oprak with a contingent of his priests to the Brothers in Arms, and should be traveling through dwarven lands on the way to the Fortress of First Words in time for our summit. All of us here in Oprak hope that our delegates are received with as warm a welcome as we gave during our own summit. Before he left, Kraelos expressed interest in keeping our borders open for the time being. We hope that such a notion would make travel to the meeting all the more simple.

The Republic has no quarrel with the magics in [45] going to the Astral Collective. In fact, many among the Council of Clans believe this to be the optimal outcome - the Collective is comprised of reasonable people who have psionic talents, leading us to believe that arcane power is best left in such learned hands. Brother Kraelos had planned on discussing several matters of a similar nature, but since I am here to reply to your correspondence, it behooves me to inform you as promptly as I can.

Best regards,

Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued, Secretary-General to the Republic

Show
    Ready to start this VIP sit-down whenever you all are!

Spoiler: To the Free City of Khasal
    Show
    To the Weaver of Blood,

Your offer is as intriguing as your title is evocative. The terms you offer to the Republic are indeed more favorable than those we have already gotten from our previous client, although I do not currently see enough of an incentive to break our bond with a nation of adventurers which is held in high esteem across Hanrui. Khasal, on the other hand, is known to truck with the very kinds of dark forces you would like to see held at bay. If your city-state were to sweeten the pot further, me and mine might well find our way to your side instead.

- General Azaersi

Show
    A 25% higher bid isn't quite enough to overlook the discrepancy in reputation and optics from where my faction sits. If you were to bring the margin of difference up to 50% by adding one more point of ECO or REP - or coming up with some other minor side benefit - then my faction will likely back you with the 5 MIL and 1 ADV.

Spoiler: To the Theocracy of Shemesh
    Show
    Ninezzi finds when he lands in Rivaness that the countryside of the Lantern Hills is swarming with goblins, and he is soon brought before a commander who appears to be a minotaur in plate armor of all things. Letting out a snort, the officer - called Commander Kosseruk by her soldiers - leans down to the pilgrim.

"While we are not in the business of discussing ongoing operations, know that General Azaersi is currently taking care of the matter. There is no route that will elude the Ironfang for very long."
    Last edited by 3SecondCultist; 2019-12-27 at 11:40 AM.
    Show
    Small Justice

You divine bastard.

26. - Top - End - #56

RangerGuy

Spoiler: To the Church of the Truth Speaker (Mor 7)
    Show
    Any who wish to take up residence within your territory are certainly welcome to do so. We are not a nation of slaves, but a nation of civilization and law. Our citizens are free to do as they feel right.

We would be honored to attend a conference to discuss the future of Rivaness and to build friendship with the civilizations flourishing there.

King Thurgin Wildhammer

Spoiler: To the Ironfang Republic (Mor 7)
    Show
    To Bruthazmus the Even-Tongued,

We look forward to a future of prosperity for both of our peoples, and agree entirely that squabbles over territory would not benefit anyone upon our continent and would only lead to an unnecessary loss of life and trouble for the common people. I have recommended to the Church that they expand southward, and that the lands to the east of the great lake would be available for their people if they need it.
    Hopefully they will find such amenable.

Should you be intending to attend the summit, I would be honored to travel east with you. It would give us time to learn more about our neighbors.

King Thurgin Wildhammer

Spoiler: To the Ironfang Republic, Astral Collective, Church of the Truth Speaker (Mor 7)
    Show
    To the other nations of Rivaness,

The Dwarf Hold of Khazn Durn has no objection with the Astral Collective launching an expedition north to seek out the rumored magics. We dwarves have little use or interest in such arcane matters, and are happy to leave them to someone who might better understand them.

I look forward to meeting all of you at the future summit.

King Thurgin Wildhammer

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ogre in the Playground

Brotherhood of Sin
    Mor 4

Quote Originally Posted by LimSindull View Post
    Spoiler: Brotherhood of Sin: Mor 7
    Show
    We see the act of taking the lands beside us as and act of war. You have failed to inform of this movement. As there is a common enemy between us, we assume that you meant no offense. Pull all of your forces from this land (22) or I will be forced to act as if your armies march towards us.
    Show
    See the act however you wish. March your weak armies towards us, hardy adventurers do not an army make while we bring the wrath of hells and death if you dare.

Legion of Balance
    Mor 5

Theocracy of Shemesh

Withouth receiving an answer, for reasons unstated, left in darkness, Djehu eventually returned to the Theocracy of Shemesh.

Djehu made his way to the Legion of Balance again. A shorter journey this time, as the border has moved adjacent to the territory of the Theocracy of Shemesh.

"The Legion of Balance has moved closer to the Theocracy of Shemesh. Earlier, you issued a warning to the forces you see as Good. It is obvious you move to the Light of Shemesh, not in welcome, but to dim. What may disuade you from that course?"
    Public Message

"Our warning has expired and now is the time for War. We shall not be dissuaded but may it be a comfort that you shall not suffer alone. May the Balance find you in the afterlife.

Public Message To
    Spoiler: Church of the Truth Speaker
    Show
    "Your Church forces the forces of Good and your Voice upon the neutral. This cannot stand and we will be seeing you and your unbalanced church soon."
    "Facilis Descensus Averni." - Virgil, The Aeneid

“Why would I want to win anything other than a beautiful game?” - Patrick Rothfuss, The Wise Man's Fear

28. - Top - End - #58
    Orc in the Playground

Free City of Khasal

Spoiler: Midturn
    Show

The Intrepid Atena Nalar will take 4 points of ADV into the Old Palace

29. - Top - End - #59

The Church of the Truth Seeker: Mor 5, Rep 2

Spoiler: Mid Turn
    Show

Grand Voice Dawn (1 MIL, 1 ADV) is going to bring the Church's 2 ADV as well as

Grand Voice Jeleva (MAG 1)

Grand Voice Hybert (MAG 1)

Grand Voice Myra (MIL 1) into the dungeon.

4 from base VIP, 3 from ADV and 2 from the extra VIP points should be 9 more floors into the Realm of Shadow, bringing me to floor 17. Bring on those complications!

Spoiler: To the Theocracy of Shemesh
    Show

If you want out advice when it comes to the Legion of Balance become a beacon of light that Shemesh claims to be. Make them fall upon you for questioning the good in the world! Bring the fight to them and strike them down in fervent belief. If they want war, you shall give it to them!

Spoiler: To the Nations of Rivaness
    Show

We will see you in the coming months. Grand Voice Khal shall meet you when you arrive.

Spoiler: To the Legion of Balance PUBLIC MESSAGE
    Show

Is that a declaration of war?

30. - Top - End - #60
    Ogre in the Playground

Source: https://www.dreamstime.com/royalty-f...-image20707818

Theocracy of Shemesh

The Light of Shemesh Shines
    The Lands are Illuminated
    Visible and Bright
    Warm and Hot

Shemesh protects us
    Ever radiant
    Ever watchful
    Ever caring

Public message to the Legion of Balance

Djehu sighs as he looks at the representative of the Legion of Balance. “Your news brings sadness to my heart. May you once see the Light, instead of fighting with Darkness.” And with that, Djehu leaves to bring the message to the Theocracy of Light.

A female messenger approaches the dwarves.

"Greetings, I am Khiti of the Theocracy of Shemesh. Your message has been received in the Light. Do you have a way to cross the oceans with the services you offer?"
    Khiti awaits before the Dwarven Hold, waiting for a response in diligent patience.

Public message to the Ironfang Republic

“Thank you for your answer. Do you accept something other than coin or favour as well? Our coin alone is insufficient and our influence is tied up in defense against threats against the Light.”

Public message to the Church of the Truth Seeker

“Thank you for the advice, we will listen. Do you have any recommendations on how to go about it? That is a path I am no expert in, and I wish to bring advice from an expert such as your Church back home.”

As Nebtise stayed at the Church, eventually a second messenger arrives. He acknowledges Nebtise.

“Greetings, I am Ihoser, from the Theocracy of Shemesh. The Legion of Balance marches on the Theocracy of Shemesh and will seek out the Church of the Truth Seeker as well, if not now, than later!

The Theocracy of Shemesh requests the aid of the Church of the Truth Seeker against the Legion of Balance!”

(EDIT)

Public message to all, except the Legion of Balance

“The Theocracy of Shemesh offers three groups of pilgrims and seekers to assist in whatever venture you seek this season in exchange for soldiers, missionaries, diplomats or the strength of your prayer. While the Theocracy seeks to make a stand against the Legion of Balance, know that the requested aid is not expected to be used in conquest of land, as the Theocracy of Shemesh knows of no route across the seas that is safe enough for such a war effort.”

OOC: Offering the use of 3 Adventurers this turn in exchange for the use of Military, Reputation or Morale this turn. It's not intended to be used for taking territory, so no route is needed, as the GM specified on Discord earlier that only for taking territory a route is needed. Ofcourse, if you do have a route available, intentions may change, but I don't expect that.
    Last edited by Zweanslord; 2019-12-29 at 03:33 PM.