A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2
You can get A Monster for Every Season: Summer 2 now at Gumroad
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Dwarf in the Playground

Default Dragonspear Depths OOC

Hi all,

this is the OOC thread for the first round of the Dragonspear Depths.

I will edit this post later to add the info from the recruitment thread for later rounds.

Starting Players: DaOldeWolf, CasualViking, Dimers, Benoojian, tofucake and Ancient.

Edit: Please pick your text colors as described in the recruitment thread

Here's hoping for a fun game for everyone .

Spoiler: Recruitment Post
    Show

Dragonspear Depths: Round 1

It is the late first month of 1375 DR, the Year of Risen Elfkin.
    The lands of Northwestern Faerūn are in turmoil. The Zentharim from the Moonsea and the Shadovar from the City of Shade had allied in 1372 and, aided by a group of powerful villains, begun a war of conquest. The Zentharim War saw the city-states of the Moonsea brought under Zentharim, and therefore Banite, rule. Sembia fell to the Shadovar, the Dalelands and parts of Cormyr to the newly minted Zentilar Empire.

The Zentilar Empire, or Black Hand Empire, peacefully brought Unther under their control as a protectorate after coming to aid the Untherans during the Mulhorandi-Untheric war of annexation. In exchange for protection, Unther agreed to replace their dead gods with Bane as a state religion.

The Zentilar advance went unchecked for almost two years until two pivotal events: The Siege of Arabel and the Dracorage. In a series of pitched battles on the fields before the walls of the Cormyr capital, hundreds of adventurers and the forces of light from all over Faerūn fought the forces of darkness to a standstill. This happened during the 10th month of 1373.

The other event was the Dracorage, which truly broke out at the end of 1373. Hundreds of dragons, driven mad by the strange King-Killer Star, descended over the lands of Faerūn and wrought destruction until killed or driven off. This calamity hit all sides in the conflict equally hard. After the actions of adventurers ended the Dracorage forever, all sides started to desperately gather power for new offensives. Dragonkind seemed to be more active than ever. Lightning storms and falling stars all over Faerūn brought dragon eggs from the skies, comparable to the creation myths from oldest Draconic legends. The decimation of the forces of light, however, has enabled the Barbaric and the Monstrous to rear their heads in the Western Heartlands again. The Barbaric, the Monstrous, and the Damned. Towns were raided, trade was interrupted. Starvation, pestilence and heresy reigned. Order collapsed. It got worse.

In Alturiak, or late fall, of 1374, Dragonspear Castle on the southern border to the High Moor was the site of a summoning of an Archdevil, Haagenti. Almost the equal of a dreaded Lord of the Nine Hells, the Dark Dreamer is met by an Angelic Host led by the Archangel Gloriana. This breached the celestial compacts between the Outer Planes, and the apocalyptic Battle of Broken Wings ensued. The Archdevil and the Archangel obliterated each other without a trace, and Dragonspear Castle, the mighty, haunted keep watching over the mesa of Dragonspear, was razed to the ground. Decapitated, the Infernal Legion of the Blessed Nightmare retreated into the dark Depths below Dragonspear. Glorianas Goldnight Host was greatly decimated, and many mighty angels were felled or disappeared without a trace.

During the ascend of the King-Killer Star, a lot of dragons retreated to the Depths below Dragonspear, as the strange magic in the Depths allowed them to sleep through the Dracorage. Strangely, hardly a dragon has returned. The events around Dragonspear and Arabel have largely eclipsed the founding of the Manyarrow Kingdom of the orcs in the North, another tide of darkness encroaching against the beacon cities of civilization on the Sword Coast. Strange folks have started converging on Dragonspear during 1374, for mighty weapons and magic, angels and fiends, and darker things are rumored to wait in the vast, lightless dungeons beneath.

One year later, in the dreary last days of Winter 1374/1375, a group of adventurers gathers in the small fortress town of Redsealburg, built on the wooded mesa of Dragonspear at the southern edge of the mist-shrouded High Moor. Each of them has their own reasons to descend into the infamous Depths of Dragonspear, but they know that they need to walk their path together, for alone, they are lost in the Dark.

Hi all,

this is me trying my hand at doing some PbP gamemastering. I try to create and master a game with my megadungeon, the Dragonspear Depths in Faerūn as a centerpiece. I would like to recruit some players to play the first episode/session as a test of my online GMing capabilities and see how all that works in online play. It's my first time, please be gentle.

The basic plot is, at the start at least, explore the Dragonspear Depths below the Ruins of Dragonspear Castle and the surrounding High Moor in the Faerūn of 1375 (3E, with some medium changes to the setting). This is not quite a sandbox, but on a scale from Paizo-style Adventure Path to true sandbox this game is decidedly tipped towards a sandbox. The rest is emergent gameplay, like the West Marches. I hope.

There will be some hooks, but what you do is for you, the players, to discuss and decide. There is no preset plot from me, only events in the world which may or may not be connected to you.

As in the West Marches game, after the end of an episode which I define as: The current party fulfills all conditions to get XP (see house rules below), I will call for a new round of players as soon as the next episode starts, or keep the old ones, depending on your interest. All players share the same world. There may or may not be breaks between episodes, depending on my available time. Basically, you can get out and later get back in.

Big 16:
    Spoiler: Big 16
    Show
    1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)?
    Pathfinder 1e

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?
    Old-school inspired Megadungeon in the Forgotten Realms.

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many?
    5-6.

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)?
    This forum here.

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?
    Level 1.

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with?
    As per class. No pregame crafting.

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes?
    You are responsible for your group composition and for the character you want to play. Talk to each other and see what you all like.

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species?
    Core races,
    Aasimar (variant aasimar heritages allowed)
    Dhampir
    Drow (care for reactions from surface-dwellers)
    Goblin
    Ifrit (known as fire genasi in the Realms, same rules)
    Kobold
    Orc
    Oread (earth genasi)
    Sylph (air genasi)
    Tiefling (variant tiefling heritages allowed)
    Undine (water genasi)

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points?
    PB 25. First HD max as standard, second HD maximum, after that it's rolling normally. No buydown below 8.

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so?
    No evil alignment for now. No antisocial characters, please.

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it?
    As per RAW.

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them?
    Players will roll in the forum during their post and announce their mechanical actions at the end of their post. I will do the same. I may roll stuff like Bluff if it's supposed to be secret, and stuff like a saving throw or initiative for the sake of speed. If you can't actively decide to roll or not roll (like a saving throw), I may speed things up and roll for you.

I'm gonna roll in the open except for under-the-hood stuff like random encounters.

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules.

XP is only given for treasure found and brought back to civilization (not for killing, but rewards for jobs done in the wilderness or dungeon give XP, too). 1 GP = 1 XP. Loot items which are worth less than 1GP do not give XP.
    Leadership is not allowed.
    The only allowed item creation feats are:
    Brew Potion
    Craft Wand
    Scribe Scroll
    If your character would get another item creation feat, substitute with a normal bonus feat instead.
    All classes without spell progression, extract progression or psionic power progression get +2 skill points per level
    All full BAB classes get knowledge(martial lore) as class skill
    All classes with knowledge(arcana) get knowledge(psionics) as class skill and vice versa
    Most (not the big 6, rather the more useless) magic items have their prices reduced.

Use PoW errata, if they benefit you.
    Crusader: HD are d12. Crusader gets new stances on the same levels like a Warder.
    Warblade: Has heavy armor proficiency.
    All three ToB base classes can freely add one discipline from all three books (ToB, PoW, PoWE) to their disciplines known at first level.
    For more details regarding ToB porting, ask me.
    If it comes up: no off-screen crafting before campaign start. Crafting in downtime is fine, obviously.

Feat Tax rules apply: http://michaeliantorno.com/feat-taxes-in-pathfinder/ Only use the blog post, that should be reasonably simple and effective.

Fighter: At level 1, gets weapon aptitude like a warblade. This can only be used to change feats gained while taking fighter levels, but it can also be used to change weapon groups of the fighters' class features.

Every character gets one of my fate points at creation. This fate point can be spent to either change one saving throw into a natural 20 after rolling, or stave off death once (the character ends up at -1 and stable and is unconscious from the trauma for several minutes instead of dying. This unconsciousness cannot be prematurely ended by any means. You almost died, received horrible trauma and are out for ~5 Minutes flat.)

You can have a maximum of 2 fate points, and you only get them at DM's discretion (usually after a major achievement).
    If you, for whatever reason, run into the XP cutoff (if you would get 2 levelups or more at once, you stay 1 XP short of the second level up and all extra XP is discarded), you get a fate point. Because that is a major achievement.

Martial Traditions are changed: They do not exist. All initiating classes can, on their first level, trade one of their disciplines known for another from PoW or PoWE. This choice is permanent for this character and class and can not be changed. Basically, you can still do the same school switching, but it is permanent.
    Mapping is the players' job except for battlemaps. Those will be displayed at a tumblr, unless I find a better solution.

Expect homebrew, and ported 3.5 material if it catches my fancy. You may or may not be able to use that material for yourself (depends on your ability to loot it). I reserve the right to change stuff like switch from normal summoner to unchained summoner, or allow unchained rogues etc. If it starts breaking the game, I need to change it. If that happens to one of your characters, you can rebuild, of course. I consider it improbable to come up, however.

Notes regarding Initiative:
    (shamelessly copied from Gwynfrid);
    The point of this rule is to speed things up in the PbP context. It works like this:
    - Each character has individual initiative, while enemies have initiative as one or two groups (equal to the average of all members).
    - If one party only is aware of their opponents, then that party gets a surprise round.
    - Round 1: The characters with initiative higher than the enemy initiative act; then, the enemies act.
    - Round 2: All characters act; then, the enemies act. Etc.
    - Character actions are resolved in the order of posting. When necessary, you can indicate conditional actions to modify that order: For example, "Berndik waits until Alzobar casts his spell, then he charges the ogre leader; if the leader is down, he charges the closest ogre instead".

Please use the regular text style methods as usual for PbP:
    - Every character has a unique text color.
    - Character speech is written between quote signs, in the character's color.
    - Character thoughts are written without quote signs, in the character's color, in italics.
    - Description of actions is in black, regular font.
    - Technical descriptions and die rolls go in a spoiler.

I will be using AngryDMs Tension Pool mechanic.

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)?
    Not long. Name, Race (Sun Elf, Moon Elf, Illuskan Human, Netherese Human, etc), how you look like, where in the Realms are you from, why and how are you here (Waterdeep is nearby, so that is easy), what do you want in the megadungeon. That's enough. I'm a big fan of fleshing out a character during play.

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above?
    Mostly exploration, hack&slash, and a bit of roleplaying, in that order. It's a megadungeon. Expect dungeon.

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    Pathfinder Core Rulebook
    Advanced Players Guide
    DSP Path of War and Path of War Expanded. Use only the errata parts which benefit you. But no extra material through web enhancements or articles.
    The Magus Class, its feats, spells and archetypes from Ultimate Magic (not from other sources). The rest of Ultimate Magic is not allowed.
    Tome of Battle from 3.5. For the usual suspects, my rulings apply (no IHS on the sun...). If in doubt, ask. See house rules. If a feat or other object is very similar to a PoW-object, use the PoW object instead.
    Psion and Psychic Warrior from Dreamscarred Press with their psionic feats and powers from Ultimate Psionics
    The book restrictions apply to races (The Alternate Racial Traits are allowed for all allowed races, though.)
    Firearms do not exist in Faerūn
    No traits, no drawbacks.
    Respect the game and the world, and get respected in return. Please do not break both.
    See point 13.

Other notes
    Spoiler: Other notes regarding playstyle
    Show
    Regarding playstyle: All characters always start at level 1. Players are explicitly allowed and expected to have multiple characters. You can choose which one of your characters to play at the start of an episode (or session or sortie or mission or whatever you call it). Basically, you can change characters in town.
    I try to stick to the rules in the described supplements as much as possible. Rules from outside are not factored in (e.g. new combat maneuvers). For wilderness exploration, I use my own, very simple, rules.
    Magic items exist, and there is limited trade with them. But do not expect to be able to buy everything you want. After the War and the Dracorage, much got destroyed or fell into the wrong hands and few people are able to craft new ones. Also, crafting magic stuff takes years and thus is not within the scope of this campaign.

This game is supposed to be somewhat old school influenced:
    You are responsible for your own maps. I will provide battlemaps on a per-round basis and store them on tumblr or here, but that's it. If in a dungeon, you need to be able to navigate ("We go back to town" will be answered with "Describe the way you take.")
    I will be using AngryGMs Tension Pool mechanic.
    Plan what you want to do before starting an adventure (like in the West Marches). No plan, no game. This can be done OOC.
    How you compose your group is up to you (which characters you will be using)
    All characters start at level 1. This makes it possible for characters with different levels to end up in the same group. Talk to each other and find a solution that works for everyone, that is also your responsibility.
    Monster entries in the MM and other sources are considered baseline. They can be advanced. Dragons especially will be using stuff from the Draconomicon. Expect changes. If changes occur, they will be telegraphed in some way and can be found out by knowledge rolls as normal. ("The gelatinous cube is not transparent, but bright red").
    Encounter balance will not be by party level, but by region. As a general rule (some exceptions may exist): The farther you go down in the dungeon, the more dangerous it gets. The farther you stray from civilization ( e.g. into the High Moor), the more dangerous it gets.
    Death may or may not occur. I will roll openly and stick to the rules, but enemies want to survive and make sure their foes stay down.
    Hirelings and hired NPCs are available. They will insist on shares of the loot though. Henchman quality depends on your reputation ;).
    For obvious stuff like climbing a defined wall, I will outright tell you the skill DC
    I will tell you the AC and attack bonus of monsters as soon as they become relevant (i.e. attacks are rolled). I believe that your characters can decide if they fight a peasant or the katana-wielding mysterious trenchcoat stranger and act accordingly.

As I use the tension pool, whenever you do something, waste a lot of time or change location, I write something like "Time passes." When that happens, on average, 10 minutes pass and thus all durations are shortened by 10 minutes (Torch, buffs etc.). The actual time is between 3 and 20 minutes and is averaged by me to 10 for sanity's sake. But no one has a watch anyway.

Time passes for example after you killed a monster and Player 1 searches the room, Player 2 cuts open the monster's belly, Player 3 chugs several healing potions and Player 4 guards the door to the big, creepy, dark tunnel. The more time you need, the more opportunity there is for things to go haywire. Time is a resource. This also assumes that you move like a squad of soldiers in hostile territory and not use your full movespeed except in a fight.
    You can of course tell me you do it differently, but this creates disadvantages on stuff like trap detection or on the noise you make.

On difficulty: I try to stick to the 3.5 guidelines regarding encounter difficulty for singular encounters. That is, a significant amount are of (Pathfinder rules:) Average Party Level +1 or even +0. That is not life and death for you, but rather avoiding damage or resource drain. But fights are damn loud, so a fight against a medium spider might attract nearby orcs or the Obsidian Hydra. This can snowball quickly into giant brawls, which might become dangerous really fast.

Monsters will react in a way which is realistic within the game world: If the orc sentry sounds the horn, expect the 50 orc clown fiesta bearing down on you soon. Allied creatures will move from their rooms to help each other, like real people would. Noise and how much light you carry is a big issue. Carrying capacity and stuff like ammunition are not waived.

There are sometimes "danger pockets": Locations with a much higher power level than their surroundings. All of these contain something worthwile, and all of these are somewhat insulated from their surroundings. Expect challenges and treasures way above your level within.

Long story short: Encounters are roughly balanced by dungeon level, not character level. I recommend thinking well about what to engage in combat and to assess your enemies. I also encourage you to find ways to disengage from enemies (Exp. Retreat potions are sold by Logarius. The gnome knows his stuff). Think about stuff like smoke sticks, tanglefoot bags or about climbing spikes which you can hammer into doors (This makes a unstuck door stuck. Multiple spikes increase the break open DC).

Forcing a stuck door will be frequently necessary. If you succeed on the first try, you don't make noise. Subsequent tries create noise.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ ++++++++++++++++

Facts about the Dragonspear Depths and surroundings:
    Spoiler: Some known Information for character creation
    Show

Redsealburg:
    Redsealburg is a small, walled town built on top of the Dragonspear Hill. It was founded, at first, as a single Shrine of Tempus which was built in 1315 DR, after the First Dragonspear Crusade, where the cities of the Sword Coast mustered mighty troops to stem the tide of fiends emerging from the Castle. For many years, it was a small, besieged, fortified chapel which housed adventurers and faithful of Tempus who tried to stem the tide of monsters emerging from Dragonspear Castle and the already infamous Dragonspear Depths.

After the Second Dragonspear War, the Way Inn at the Trade Way to the south of Redsealburg gets razed. The dreaded Mists of Dragonspear never seem to completely retreat from the lonely mountain. Afterwards, the small village around the Way Inn was rebuilt around the Red Seal Chapel, and so Redsealburg grew into a fortress town and waystation on the Trade Way to the south. The caravans which stopped at the Way Inn before just moved to the Three Dragons Inn in Redsealburg and what started as an emergency workaround became the standard.
    The following facts regarding Redsealburg are accepted as true:
    - It was founded 1315 DR as a fortified chapel of Tempus against the monsters emerging from Dragonspear
    - During the Battle of Broken Wings in the early winter of 1374, Archangel Gloriana spoke a mighty blessing over the chapel and the town, which smites anyone using violence against a rightful visitor of Redsealburg within the town walls. This greatly increases security in the besieged town. It is known that to attack another or steal from them invites divine retribution.
    - The Mists are weakened in Redsealburg and only harmless fog occurs in the town limits.
    - Gareth Markoth, the High Priest of the Chapel, has an amount of control over Glorianas Blessing.
    - The needs of adventurers are catered to, as expeditions into the High Moor or the Dragonspear Depths are becoming more common.

Redsealburg has the following notable features:
    It is a hamlet of ~300 people. It is heavily specialized on catering to trading caravans and to adventurers.

It has a major Inn, the Three Dragons.
    It has the old Dragonspear Forge, now tended by Rickert, a hulking Half-Orc Blacksmith.
    There is a mercenary garrison of the Company of the Salamander for security and for hire to escort caravans.
    There is a small rocky outcropping containing the original Red Seal Chapel, maintained by a priest of Tempus, Gareth Markoth. He offers spellcasting services for adventurers, but for payment.
    Illyria, a sun elf wizard, visits Redsealburg several times a tenday to trade magic items, lore about the Depths, and arcane spell scrolls.
    There is a bathhouse where travellers can bathe and wash their clothes for some coppers.
    A trading contor exists where travelling merchants peddle their wares (Mundane Items from the PHB) and trading caravans store their wagons and horses for the time being.
    There is a gothic mansion where Logarius the Alchemist resides. He has several acolytes who work in his laboratory in the cellars to brew potions and alchemical items for adventurers.
    It is walled. The walls are 6m high and manned by the Salamander Company at all times.

At least half of the time, the Mists cover the peak of the Dragonspear Mesa except for Redsealburg. This makes any traffic between Redsealburg and the rest of the world impossible for at least a day, as dangerous creatures roam the Mists. This in turn makes resting in the dungeon a very risky proposition.

************************************************** ***********************************************

Facts and initial information:

Dragonspear Castle
    The following facts about Dragonspear Castle are known and accepted as true:
    -Dragonspear Castle was a mighty, redoubtable keep situated on a rock on the north-western side of the 100m tall hill Dragonspear was built on.
    - It was built around 1255DR by Daeros Dragonspear, a renowned adventurer who befriended Halatatlaer, a copper dragon, and even rode the dragon into battle.
    - It fell by the machinations of an evil wizard who lured Daeros to the Depths.
    - Humans and Dwarves lived together in Dragonspear in very good harmony.
    - During the Fall of Dragonspear, fiends from Hell and other planes started showing up and conquering the castle and the town. Under the castle must be some way for the fell creatures to cross the planar border to the Material Plane.
    - After the Battle of Broken Wings, Dragonspear Castle is no more. Only the large, charred bedrock it was initially built on remains.
    - In the Mists clinging to the mesa, fell creatures roam. Poking around Dragonspear outside of Redsealburg during foggy weather is considered suicidal.

The Battle of Broken Wings is a legendary battle between the Heavens and Perdition. The following facts about it are widely known and accepted as true:
    - Cultists managed to enter the undead- and fiend-plagued Dragonspear Castle and conducted a vile ritual to summon the Dark Dreamer Haagenti to Toril. He brought his Legion of the Blessed Nightmare along.
    - The angelic Host of Goldnight led by the archangel Gloriana descended through the roof of the Basilica of the Four Moons (consecrated to Selūne) to Faerūn to meet this existential threat.
    - Almost all participants of this brutal battle were obliterated. The monsters of Dragonspear partially joined the battle on varying sides.
    - This battle razed Dragonspear Castle itself.
    - A lot of mighty fiends and even some powerful angels are not confirmed dead, but they neither returned to Heaven nor Hell.
    - World-shattering magic and power was released during this battle. In faraway Waterdeep, the earth shook during that fateful night. Some of this unearthly might, be it spells or magical artefacts, was dragged off into the Depths.
    - It occurred a year ago. The surface of Dragonspear is still charred and shows signs of damage.

Between Dragonspear and Kanaglym lie the Catacombs, former workshop and living quarter tunnels created by dwarves mining the mountain. Some of them got converted into graves later. A shaft from the Basilica of the Four Moons is the most well-known entrance into the Catacombs and, therefore, the Dragonspear Depths. The Basilica lies pretty much at the center of the mesa, about a mile north from Redsealburg.

Kanaglym is a former dwarven town in the Underdark below Dragonspear. It was once renowned for its extensive botanical knowledge and gardens of Underdark vegetation and for its vein of Living Metal. A disease from the surrounding water wiped out the town 300 years ago.

Kanaglym had a harbor to a sunless, subterranean sea which extends to the west. Curiously, the harbor was located above Kanaglym. Between Kanaglym and the surface of Dragonspear are ancient dwarven crypts, repurposed former living and trade areas for the dwarves of Dragonspear.

The High Moor to the north is a vast moor and swamp landscape, dotted with bayous and fetid, dark woods. It is all that remained from an ancient elven kingdom which was obliterated by Elven High Magic wrought by their enemies. Its vast, misty reaches contain lots of monsters and unknown ruins and strange magical remnants.

Here is a small map of Redsealburg: https://dragonspeardepths.tumblr.com...he-alcheimist3

Here is the general geographical layout of the surroundings: https://dragonspeardepths.tumblr.com...e-area-of-play

************************************************** *****************************
    Hooks & Rumors (classes are examples, anyone can choose anything listed here):

Wizard:
    You have heard of the strange spells lost in the Dragonspear Depths. You want to excavate some and ... study them.

Paladin:
    The legendary Holy Avenger Carsomyr was lost after the cataclysmic fight between Gloriana and Haagenti. You want to recover it and use its might against Evil.

Fighter, Paladin or other martial:
    Your ancestor was a warrior of the Holy Order of the Dragonspear Covenant, a holy warrior covenant based in Dragonspear. You want to find out what happened to him or follow in his or her footsteps. You might even plan to reestablish the Order.

Rogue:
    The Dragonspear Depths are teeming with riches from the boom time of Dragonspear. You want to excavate them.

Druid:
    The unnatural foulness of Dragonspear has started corrupting the surrounding lands. You want to put a lid on this.

Cleric:
    You want to find the missing Goldnight Host angels, or at least find out what happened.

Dwarf:
    You need to find a special underdark flora for your clan, and Kanaglym in the Depths had a good reputation as a underdark botanical garden.

Faithful of Selūne:
    You have heard of the strange sect which has practiced in Dragonspear before the fall, which adds the Obscure Lady as a fourth member to the trinity of Selūnes aspects. You want to get to the bottom of this, either to stamp out the heresy or to learn something the rest of the faith does not know or want to acknowledge.

Ranger:
    You have heard that orcs, and goblins even more, are converging around Dragonspear. You want to investigate what their intentions are.

Anyone: You are looking for a friend, family member, or lover who was last seen around Dragonspear.

Anyone: You owe a lot of money to the Shadow Thieves of Waterdeep, the metropolis to the north west. You need to make a lot of money really quick or they do something bad.

Anyone: You or your family are war refugees from the Zentarim War or you lost your home during the Dracorage or the orc wars in the North. You need to make money to provide and buy a new home for your loved ones.

Alchemist:
    Your master has tasked you to find and sample the Blue Well of Blades.

Tempus and Garagos Faithful, Paladins:
    You want to test your mettle against the hordes from the Depths without a bad conscience.

Inquisitor:
    You are hunting a witch who fled to the Depths. This means she is guilty.

Anyone:
    The weapons and armor from the Holy Order of the Dragonspear Covenant are well-made and greatly coveted as weapons of heroes. You want to find one for yourself or your client.

Anyone:
    You are a veteran of the Zentarim War and you have seen what the Zentarim with their Netherese wizard allies are capable of. You want to obtain magical power and money to push them back.

Summoner:
    The planar weave is weakened around Dragonspear, and you heard that the cultists who summoned Haagenti owned powerful summoning implements. You want to make sure those don't fall into the wrong hands.

Bard:
    Your friends from the Harpers, basically an international secret agency of the Forces of Light, have cautioned you against Zentarim activity around Dragonspear. You want to find out what's happening, but you need funds for your upkeep.

************************************************** ************************************************** ***
    Initial setup:

You all know each other from Daggerford, a small town and duchy to the north west of Dragonspear, where you started working together. One by one, all of you arrived over land or via the deepwater harbor which gives Waterdeep its name.

Beginning in the warm summer months of 1375DR, you all began to work as bodyguards for Indrana Calimar, a priestess of Selūne, the Moonmaiden. An ancient, yet unbowed and ascetic woman of silver hair, Indrana is a very scholarly cleric of the Moonmaiden and travels on the Sword Coast, tending to those stricken by madness and researching locations and phenomena which drive people insane.

Indrana feels her age, and considers herself unfit for the dangerous work of exploring ancient ruins. She brought her acolyte (and granddaughter) along, Severine Vanlyn. She found traces of a strange form of heresy in the Selūnite Church, texts and the babbling of some madmen about the Obscured Lady, a fourth aspect of Selūne apart from the Maid, the Mother and the Matron. The Basilica of the Four Moons in the center of the Dragonspear mesa apparently shows elements of this heresy.

She pays each of you 50 gold to escort her and her granddaughter safely to Redsealburg. Indrana has already signalled that she would like to hire you to look in the Crypts below the Basilica, one of the access points to the infamous Dragonspear Depths, for further evidence of this strange heresy.

Oh, and please post links to your mythweavers-sheets and your basic character info from the recruitment thread here as well. Thanks guys, see you tomorrow.
    Last edited by GameMaster_Phil; 2019-12-15 at 03:39 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Default Re: Dragonspear Depths OOC

Hi all, I will be playing Dior Zite and Quar Zite, dwarven brothers looking for a rare type of gemstone in the megadungeon. They look like a pair of chestnuts with the shells on walking about, you won't miss them in town. The only obvious way to tell them apart at first glance is Dior has gangrenous-looking right hand while Quar has a spiky shield to complete the ensemble

edit: I shall open with Quar.
    Last edited by tofucake; 2019-12-16 at 05:03 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

My first two characters are the furious Lillian and the ever pragmatic Timorden, though I suspect Lillian will be the first to arrive, seeing as how her motivation may have an expiration date

Lillian
    (If anyone wants to make an initiator with Cursed Razor, it's a style that is greatly improved by having more than one ptactitioner.)

Timorden
    Last edited by Benoojian; 2019-12-16 at 01:41 AM. Reason: Character request

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Very nice characters. Also, props for the Dark Souls imagery used ;). If you all are ready earlier, I can put up the IC thread earlier as well. Might just do that.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground

BlackDragon

Alfie is ready to go and will be speaking in BLUE. A young wizard fresh out of wizarding school, he is looking to make some coin before the uni sends some sort of hellish legbreakers to collect bact tuition loans.
    Last edited by Ancient; 2019-12-16 at 01:05 AM.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Khiral Orbryn, Elven Harbinger
    Role: Fast melee combatant

"This is going to get dangerous. Goood."
    Last edited by CasualViking; 2019-12-16 at 02:11 AM.
    Semper ludens.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by GameMaster_Phil View Post
    Also, props for the Dark Souls imagery used ;)
    I'm surprised there doesn't seem to be an official bloodborne rpg. It seems ripe for storytelling though translating the mechanics satisfyingly to pnp may be well impossible

8. - Top - End - #8
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'd pay decent money even for a setting book. I love soulsborne.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Dwarf in the Playground

Aight 4 of 6 already here. A mystic, a harbinger, a wizard and a dwarven deathball. Looks good so far. Let's see what the rest offers.

10. - Top - End - #10
    Troll in the Playground

Edan Ignislash, the alchemist and Brac Donovan the summoner are here. They are both here to help with the jack of all trades kind of roll. Edan will speak in like this and Brac will go with this
    Thanks to linklele for the amazing avvy.
    Quote Originally Posted by jidasfire View Post
    On a long enough scale, every OOTS forum discussion turns into a debate about alignment, Miko, or Familicide.
    Spoiler: Easydamus result
    Show

I Am A: Neutral Good Human Paladin/Cleric (3rd/2nd Level)
    Ability Scores:
    Strength-15 Dexterity-13 Constitution-14
    Intelligence-16 Wisdom-17 Charisma-14
    Alignment: Neutral Good

11. - Top - End - #11
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

1gp=1xp, is that per player, divided by players, divided by players and adjusted for level, or that you only get xp for the specific treasure that you personally physically carry across the town border?

12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground

My apologies for the delay. Bad cold this weekend -- things like showering and making food tired me out. I've only prepped one character, Jasper, speaking in teal (though I have a couple more character ideas).

Tofucake, we might have some fun interactions, me being a gemsoul and also interested in certain minerals way down underground.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

Current games list

13. - Top - End - #13
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Oooh nice. Just don't joke about being made of magical curse sucking crystals. They have no ranks in appraise and might try their luck with a pickaxe.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Dwarf in the Playground

@Benoojian:

Concerning Loot and XP:

It's 1XP per GP each player has in his or her share. If 6 PCs find a treasure chest with 1200 gp and haul it up, each gets 200 XP. Assuming everyone gets 1 share of the loot. Loot division is usually agreed before the delve by everyone.

For the first delve, I'm gonna assume everyone gets 1 share of the loot, but feel free to negotiate with each other before the expedition. 1 share each is just the logical thing to do right now. If an agreement is made, I expect you to uphold it. Don't be a doodoohead. I don't care what you negotiate, only that you stick to it.

Different share sizes may become important later, when characters of different levels delve together. Example: 4 1st level PCs ask a 5th level PC to accompany them and do the heavy lifting. The 5th-level PC may ask for two shares instead of one. But that's for the characters/players to negotiate.
    Other example:
    In a game I ran before in my meatspace group, one character bought a treasure map out of her own pocket but demanded a "first pick", basically the right to get one item the party found, no matter what. She still didn't get more value than the others, but if there is only one cloak of resistance in the loot stash, she would have gotten it, no argument. Stuff like that.

Don't be that guy and screw other people out of their loot or steal from them. This is a team game and personally, I hate that. If this happens, expect to be blacklisted and not invited back. I'm on a pretty short fuse here. I could come up with some rules about Gloriana's Blessing and all that, but I won't even try. Just play fair in that regard.

15. - Top - End - #15
    Dwarf in the Playground

You guys will rock this game.

... sorry...

Edit: Nice, all here. IC starts tomorrow.
    Last edited by GameMaster_Phil; 2019-12-17 at 03:36 PM.

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by tofucake View Post
    Oooh nice. Just don't joke about being made of magical curse sucking crystals. They have no ranks in appraise and might try their luck with a pickaxe.
    Everybody's always picking on me ... I think they just take me for granite. It's not gneiss!

You guys will rock this game.

... sorry...
    Don't throw me in that briar patch, Br'er Fox! Puns are like coming home to me, except without the social awkwardness and fresh-baked cookies. Like, my whole family participated in pun wars around the dinner table. It can truly be said that I ...

*gleeful hand rubbing, calculating smile*

... have a punning clan.

Current games list

17. - Top - End - #17
    Dwarf in the Playground

Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well...

Aight guys, let's get this started, here is the IC:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showt...pear-Depths-IC

18. - Top - End - #18
    Dwarf in the Playground

Signature Test & Links for your benefit.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

What XP speed are we using?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground

Medium, which will make you rich for your Level and allows for some sale.

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    It can truly be said that I ...

*gleeful hand rubbing, calculating smile*

... have a punning clan.
    That elicited a painful grunt and a headache. My compliments.
    Semper ludens.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Sorry, but Lillian is apparently that Skyrim player that hears "meet me in Whiterun as soon as possible" and goes "I've got time for a few sidequests...few hundred."

23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground

Actually, there is a Job board at the chapel. But i have to post in 8 hours. Sorry guys, too tired right now.

24. - Top - End - #24

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    That elicited a painful grunt and a headache. My compliments.
    I deeply appreciate that.

Does anyone want to go in on the cheaper 6-person room? Maybe with backup characters?

For all players: If you all don't want to do something in the rest of Redsealburg, I will have you enter the tavern tomorrow evening. Feel free to interrupt, don't feel railroaded. This is just to speed things up.
    I'm fine with moving along any time.
    Last edited by Dimers; 2019-12-20 at 12:49 AM.

Current games list

25. - Top - End - #25
    Orc in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I deeply appreciate that.

Does anyone want to go in on the cheaper 6-person room? Maybe with backup characters?
    Both of my characters will be in it. I'm fluffing the other brother as present but largely doing his own thing in the background

26. - Top - End - #26
    Dwarf in the Playground

So, a bit of info now, more either in 4 or 8 hours. Sorry, a bit of stressful timewise right now. Wouldn't want to waste Indranas speech.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground

Soo, much better. It would have been a rushjob. Have fun discussing it, and have a nice weekend.

@Benoojian: I like Lillian already. One thing you will never run out of is sidequests.

28. - Top - End - #28

Quote Originally Posted by CasualViking View Post
    "In terms of days and supplies, how long should we expect the first foray to last?"
    @GM_Phil: I got the impression from the background material that all our trips would be single-day because it's a horrible idea to rest in either the Depths or the Mists. Is that right? And if so, do our characters know it? (Whether or not they believe it is different, of course ...)

Current games list

29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground

Resting in the Mists is extremely dangerous and will very probably end fatally.

Resting in the Depths is pretty difficult and impractical. Since you have a local with Edan, I'm gonna hope he tells you this. Gonna post Indrana and Severine's answer later tonight.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Corralling an adventuring party and planning a dinner party are basically the same thing, right?