Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Pixie in the Playground

Default Re: The City of Pentagram

re Needs -- Will do. I'll try to post something soon.

re Posting -- I came down with a hard-hitting case of flu (I hope) yesterday. Doctor's office advised me to self-quarantine for the next 7-10 days. So on the one hand, I should be able to post more, but on the other hand, WOW, am I tired. This flu comes with a LOT of fatigue. I pretty much spent the day watching TV and passing out.

I'll try to keep on top of things, but my brain is a little wonky from fever.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Post Re: The City of Pentagram

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    I need a way to know what sort of Need a Lilim might see in you without telling you a Lilim is in the room with you. To wit: I'm not saying whether or not one of you is close to a Lilim currently, but I want to get this info on the sooner side.
    Spoiler
    Show

(before Mafia game)

I trust you. It's more fun this way.

(after Mafia game)

Every NPC is a Lilim! The only true Seneschals belong to Lust and Fate. The prophecy itself is a trap by the Game to give us false hope!

I'm not sure I'm doing this right, so expect things that don't quite fit, Jeen, and tell me where to change. I wrote this as a desires/wish list, because I'm not sure what an angel needs. It also says Lilim can see specific types of needs/desires if they take a penalty in the Infernal Player's Guide, so I'm guessing they see 1 of any type at random of whatever check digit they roll if they don't take a penalty? Or do they just see all of the desires at that level? I'm fuzzy and confused on this, so these are just a mix of interesting plot points and feel fitting.

Spoiler: Camael desires/wishlist
    Show

desire 1, [hour's work, easy]

Carol wants to organise helping Denver and his family. She also wants to make a good impression on the bakery to help restore the cake drive.

Camael desires using her resonance and conversation to find out how open a fallen celestial is to redemption, and nudging them and humans towards a happy and healthy afterlife.

desire 2, [day's work, hard/uncomfortable]

Carol wants to find useful information on the Burnt territory, and preferably a window into information the press lacks.

Camael also wants to find out why Fortissimo did what he did; he seems kind and friendly. It bothers her what happened to Mary's friend, so finding out is a concern.

desire 3, [week's work, willing to do unpleasant work]

Carol wants to help the bakery get its muffin drive successful; it's good press, is a good gesture, and the story would uplift people a little. She also wants to find useful information on the Burnt territory, find further ways in, and build trust with some that might become future confidential sources. She also wants to speak to Rourke's ex and find out what she can do to help the local news agency (which I'm now calling 5 Star News unless the name bores you, Jeen) so the news story doesn't retracted (if it's accurate). Her future employment might depend on it, too.

Camael desires to find seemingly wavering demons, like Ikorial, and the bakery angle could lead to eventually learn his location. She would also love a list of potential redemptions. Besides that, she's toying with the idea of learning helpful songs like Healing, Tongues, Peace, others, as useful tools for redemption work. She's also interested in trying to gently ferret out if Daisy has access to the Song of Fruition, but the songs aren't the highest priority desire. Ikorial easily is.

desire 4, [month's work, willing to contradict character, risk dissonance]

Carol, as a university student, is in a lot of debt regardless of the interning. So the $1000 to get the scoop on Rourke's private venue would be great at maybe getting a story, or networking. She only has a month to do it, but it's still possible to nickel and dime her way to it.

Camael just plain desires to redeem a demon. Shaking hands with Rourke would also get vital information that brings the Lust Tether down, even if she just passes the information along to the Sword, or another set of angels (Judgement?).

desire 5, [half year's work, willing to risk life/vessel, take dissonance]

Carol wants to figure out the Burnt gang. Motives and solid information on the hierarchy would be great. Build up a potential future exclusive. She wants good grades at uni, and seeks work connections in the media.

The prophecy makes Camael think the Fire Tether is a potentially vulnerable to Metanoia. She would like to find out how and where and use it. On a more selfish side, she's interested in souls like Inian/Yugoria, so getting someone like that to care about her would be a big bonus. She also wants to become a good singer of Ecstasy.

desire 6, [year's work, potentially suicidal, causes Discord]

Carol wants to get through her college year with good grades and connections, improving her chances to get accepted as staff at 5 Star News. Even better if she somehow has information the media would love, and she manages to get, as an intern of all things. Investigating the Burnt areas and nightlife are very useful to those ends. Fun is a bonus.

Camael would love to create a tether of redemption. She also wants Meguiliel stopped, preferably permanently. Bonus points if she manages to keep the Carol alias mostly intact outside of the soldiers/redeemable/angel community.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

The more I read the source book the more I feel like I don't quite understand the Desire/Needs stuff, so I'm just going to follow JoyWonderLove's example and hope these examples are at least vaguely what you're looking for.
    Spoiler
    Show

1: Convince the circus they should hire Inian on.
    2: Find other work in town.
    3: Find out if there's links between the pit fighters and Demons in the area
    4: Get together money to rent a small apartment in the town.
    5: Gain enough trust from the pit fighters that they let him meet the organizer
    6: Get even more jacked 🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨 Find and kill major members of the Burnt gang
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

That helps with the ideas of Needs/Desires/Wants. I find the sense of Lilim Resonances a bit tricky, too, but this helps with guidelines to give me a sense of how you feel about certain things your characters desire.

Note on Infernal/Angelic Player's Guide: I know those books have extra 'powers' the Resonances can do. In general, I'm not allowing those. I probably will on a case-by-case basis, if you're curious. But, for example, I'm not allowing kyriotates to basically get the (insanely complicating for a DM) Kyriotate of Destiny attunement for free (albeit at a very difficult TN).
    I probably will let Lilim detect obvious/specific needs.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottL View Post
    re Needs -- Will do. I'll try to post something soon.

re Posting -- I came down with a hard-hitting case of flu (I hope) yesterday. Doctor's office advised me to self-quarantine for the next 7-10 days. So on the one hand, I should be able to post more, but on the other hand, WOW, am I tired. This flu comes with a LOT of fatigue. I pretty much spent the day watching TV and passing out.

I'll try to keep on top of things, but my brain is a little wonky from fever.
    Be safe and hope you feel better. I had a bad flu-like for a week back in December and 2 days in January. Could barely move or function. So, yeah, I understand.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Base 5 damage (1+4), vs. Bubba dodge
    (3d6)[6][1][5](12) @ TN 5

Some other rolls, should I need them
    (3d6)[1][6][5](12)
    (3d6)[5][5][3](13)
    (3d6)[4][3][3](10)
    (3d6)[3][3][3](9)
    (3d6)[1][5][5](11)
    (3d6)[4][6][6](16)
    (3d6)[2][1][2](5)
    (3d6)[2][4][4](10)
    (3d6)[1][3][2](6)
    (3d6)[4][3][2](9)

6. - Top - End - #66
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Exclamation Re: The City of Pentagram

That first resonance roll...closer than I like. Are there any attunements or protections against interventions (good or bad)? The whole overtly supernatural effects meaning holy spirit or one below are directly paying attention to you is flattering, but maybe I could do without Lucifer having a minor interest in redemption.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    The more I read the source book the more I feel like I don't quite understand the Desire/Needs stuff, so I'm just going to follow JoyWonderLove's example and hope these examples are at least vaguely what you're looking for.
    Spoiler
    Show

1: Convince the circus they should hire Inian on.
    2: Find other work in town.
    3: Find out if there's links between the pit fighters and Demons in the area
    4: Get together money to rent a small apartment in the town.
    5: Gain enough trust from the pit fighters that they let him meet the organizer
    6: Get even more jacked 🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨🚨 Find and kill major members of the Burnt gang
    Your level 6....

Now that it's obvious the burnt are watching the bakery, it's possible we could speed up your dreams, unless you want to do it more organically through the fighting pits. Your choice of course. How hard is it to fight shedim? Or a calabim?
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-03-14 at 05:41 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    That first resonance roll...closer than I like. Are there any attunements or protections against interventions (good or bad)? The whole overtly supernatural effects meaning holy spirit or one below are directly paying attention to you is flattering, but maybe I could do without Lucifer having a minor interest in redemption.
    No. Nothing (to my knowledge at least) can undo an Intervention. Even re-roll powers don't work to stop them.
    It is a scary thing when you think you got a 666 and but then quite a relief when you notice one of the dice weren't a 6. I've felt that several times.

How hard is it to fight shedim? Or a calabim?
    Fighting a shedite is really hard because, often, there's a mostly (or, at least, formerly) innocent human bystander who you have to attack to get at them. And then they can just escape to celestial form.

Now, if you force a shedite to flee its host (or knock it out, and it exits 30 minutes later automatically), and have a kill team ready for celestial combat... that's a good way to fight a shedite. But it can flee to Hell (although the Songs of Celestial Seals and... maybe some other... can stop that).
    A shedite in celestial form at a divine Tether takes 1d6 damage each round, too. So a kill team at a Tether is a good choice.

The hard part is getting the shedite there

EDIT: keep in mind it'd be dissonant for Camael to assist in any celestial death, even of those rejecting redemption. Explicitly that's the actual fighting, but planning a fight or kill-room setup with the intent of causing a celestial death would still get you a note of dissonance if the death actually occurs. Even if you argued it's not technically dissonant ("all I did was mention some stuff to the Malakim..."), Metanoia would be ticked.
    Even the Elohite that is Redemption can be 'irrational' in holding true to her Word. Like all Superiors.

As for calabim...
    They are seem as the most "good fighter" demon, sort of like a Malakim is seen for angels.
    Mechanically, though, their power isn't usually any better than a sword or gun. Just their impulse is for destruction. Killing a calabite is probably the safest in my opinion, since their Resonance only does damage. Other demons screw with your mind (e.g., Balseraph or Impudite screwing with your perception of things, and a Habbalah can be terrifying.)

In the In Nomine game I'm a player in, I love fighting Calabim or Djinn. Because their Resonances can't really hurt me more than a fist. (A Djinn tracking me would be troublesome, but is solved by killing them.) Other demons are scary.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-14 at 09:35 PM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

On second thought, Metanoia might forgive causing the celestial death of one like Meguilliel, who is causing a lot of celestial deaths. (Michael will forgive running away in battle if the reasoning is sound and more than just saving your own skin.) But even then it'd be iffy and depend on how you went about it and explained yourself.

There is an artifact (or two) in the artifact book that enables one to capture a kyriotate or shedite. Or maybe any celestial. I'd have to look it up. I remember reading over it and thinking it sounded cool, but was way too expensive and unlikely to work... but if you get in Metanoia's good graces with other successes, she may lend such a thing for the purpose of capturing a shedite.
    Imprisoning it in an artifact, locked away in her brig, is obviously better than destroying it or having it free

9. - Top - End - #69
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: The City of Pentagram

It is a scary thing when you think you got a 666 and but then quite a relief when you notice one of the dice weren't a 6. I've felt that several times.

Fighting a shedite is really hard because, often, there's a mostly (or, at least, formerly) innocent human bystander who you have to attack to get at them. And then they can just escape to celestial form.

Now, if you force a shedite to flee its host (or knock it out, and it exits 30 minutes later automatically), and have a kill team ready for celestial combat... that's a good way to fight a shedite. But it can flee to Hell (although the Songs of Celestial Seals and... maybe some other... can stop that).
    A shedite in celestial form at a divine Tether takes 1d6 damage each round, too. So a kill team at a Tether is a good choice.

EDIT: keep in mind it'd be dissonant for Camael to assist in any celestial death, even of those rejecting redemption. Explicitly that's the actual fighting, but planning a fight or kill-room setup with the intent of causing a celestial death would still get you a note of dissonance if the death actually occurs. Even if you argued it's not technically dissonant ("all I did was mention some stuff to the Malakim..."), Metanoia would be ticked.
    Even the Elohite that is Redemption can be 'irrational' in holding true to her Word. Like all Superiors.
    So interventions will always be a thing? It makes sense. It's one way to make everyone care.

Shedites, we can figure something out. Calabites......maybe it's better if I stay far far away from them.

On dissonance, Level 5-6 was all about Things You Want That Could Go Terribly. So, potentially angering the boss looks kind of breezy when compared to, say, self-destruction with a geas. Did I mention Lilim look surprisingly scary in light of that?

[artefact fun]
    You have to imagine, if Meta has something like that, Michael probably has the equal of a mini nuke artefact and David tiny gnome relievers build forts overnight, or something. We should be careful about bothering superiors for the big guns, because if even if one them says yes.....the other side could do the same. But then The War has a ridiculous artefact user running around, so it's possible Faust has the strongest chance of getting a yes if he asks later on. This is just blind guessing right now? I'm making a lot of assumptions as always........

10. - Top - End - #70
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I added a Mortals of Note spoiler to the first OOC post.

Relics of Import for dealing with shedites

Bell of Exorcism -- target can resist with Will, but can expel a shedite (or kyriotate) from a host.

Censer of Binding -- prevents someone from exiting a host or changing their vessel. Can be resisted, but a hard roll.

Force Catcher -- if you are possessed while holding this, the Forces that would enter you are instead captured in this crystal. It can hold up to 2*Level Forces, so you'd need a high enough rank one to capture a shedite whole (or it fails). Part of a kyriotate can be captured.
    They can try to break free once captured and then every so-many hours--but that's probably long enough to transfer the prisoner to Heaven (or Hell) if they fail the first roll.

---

A Force Catcher is probably the best way to capture one, but you'd need it high rank, and it costs 3 xp + 3*Rank to purchase (with the sense of xp partially reflecting favor from your Superior). So not really feasible for PCs.

I'll also mention the Castler. if someone would possess you via Song of Possession or some other means, this lets you possess thier body while they are in yours.

Spirit Batteries also exist, but only work on ethereals (er, maybe), relievers, imps, and gremlins. I guess it could in theory hold a celestial, but the it could hold is 6 Forces, so you'd need to find one that has lost Forces.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-16 at 08:21 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

I have some questions anyway, so I'm making the Perception rolls here if that's okay.

(3d6)[2][1][5](8)
    (3d6)[2][6][5](13)
    (3d6)[5][4][3](12)
    (3d6)[5][4][3](12)
    (3d6)[3][1][3](7)

I assume the distance is whatever is dramatically appropriate for that time rather than a actual number, but if Inian were able to stay in Celestial form the whole time he was traveling using the Ofanim resonance, what would you say his odds of making it to the school in time would be? And I know it says Cathedrals are almost infinite, but how easy is it to find other Angels in them? Assuming these are things he could reasonably guess in his head.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I assume the distance is whatever is dramatically appropriate for that time rather than a actual number, but if Inian were able to stay in Celestial form the whole time he was traveling using the Ofanim resonance, what would you say his odds of making it to the school in time would be? And I know it says Cathedrals are almost infinite, but how easy is it to find other Angels in them? Assuming these are things he could reasonably guess in his head.
    Based on narrative use and the idea that the Ofanite Resonance should be useful, I'll say you are five miles away, so definitely close enough to get there if you go Celestial with a successful Resonance roll. I forgot you were Ofanite in this regard.

Cathedrals are essentially infinite demiplanes, but most angels make their homes (for lack of a better word) in a pretty easy to find spot. For example, Servitors of Michael generally each have their own tent in a field. So just asking around would make it pretty easy to find someone; or using the Ofanite Resonance for local knowledge while in Heaven since most folk would know where an angel lives.
    That would get you to there 'house' (whatever form it takes) and their Heart, so it'd be easy from there to see where they are. Some angels do hide their Hearts (like almost all angels of Creation), but it's rare. It's also dissonant to remove one's Heart from one's Superior's cathedral.

So, for example, you wouldn't know where Ramiel is if he were in Heaven, but it'd be pretty easy to find his Heart and find out.

It's also generally not rude to try to find an angel via looking at its Heart, at least for non-hostile factions. That is, a Dominican wouldn't be welcome poking around in Michael's grove, but if an angel of The Sword were curious, it'd be allowed.

EDIT 2: based on my revised Noise rules, you need to be more than 650 feet away from anyone for them to be able to hear the Noise you make when turning celestial (9 Noise as you have 9 Forces). Not saying anyone nearby can hear you, but noting that since your PC would know that. You can find some secluded place to turn celestial in a few seconds, and there's enough cars nobody would probably notice yours in the mix. But it'd cost you a minute to get to your car and drive off enough to get away.
    That said, with a good Resonance roll, you'd be there in a minute of travel. So still enough time.

EDIT 1: to be explicit: I don't have a clear map of distances in my mind, so some of this is narrative. As an Ofanite, you can reasonably travel anywhere in the city in minutes if you go celestial.
    I do have an idea of where the Tethers are, and where some major places like the Commune are with respect to the Tethers, but it's all kinda loose. On that note, the Commune, Torel Garden, and the main university (Destiny) are all outside the main city. They are affiliated with the city, for sure, but the university in the north is out in the woods a ways, as are the Commune and the park.

The other Tethers, and the lesser nexuses that Melektas and Gaspariel found, are all in the city proper.

With that in mind, although the shape is a pentagram, not all the points of the star are necessarily the same length. But that's mostly me giving myself some narrative fluidity. If you think I've contradicted myself, let me know and I"ll fix it or clarify.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-18 at 09:35 PM.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Ettin in the Playground

Based on narrative use and the idea that the Ofanite Resonance should be useful, I'll say you are five miles away, so definitely close enough to get there if you go Celestial with a successful Resonance roll. I forgot you were Ofanite in this regard.
    Don't be an Ofanim, they said. Their resonances aren't that useful, they said. Well, look at me now.

Cathedrals are essentially infinite demiplanes, but most angels make their homes (for lack of a better word) in a pretty easy to find spot. For example, Servitors of Michael generally each have their own tent in a field. So just asking around would make it pretty easy to find someone; or using the Ofanite Resonance for local knowledge while in Heaven since most folk would know where an angel lives.
    That would get you to there 'house' (whatever form it takes) and their Heart, so it'd be easy from there to see where they are. Some angels do hide their Hearts (like almost all angels of Creation), but it's rare. It's also dissonant to remove one's Heart from one's Superior's cathedral.

So, for example, you wouldn't know where Ramiel is if he were in Heaven, but it'd be pretty easy to find his Heart and find out.

It's also generally not rude to try to find an angel via looking at its Heart, at least for non-hostile factions. That is, a Dominican wouldn't be welcome poking around in Michael's grove, but if an angel of The Sword were curious, it'd be allowed.
    That is useful information about Heaven. But it definitely seems like finding each other in Heaven and having Ramiel drag Inian back to the school would be the more involved process, so I guess that's a backup plan in case I do really horribly on my next rolls.

EDIT 2: based on my revised Noise rules, you need to be more than 650 feet away from anyone for them to be able to hear the Noise you make when turning celestial (9 Noise as you have 9 Forces). Not saying anyone nearby can hear you, but noting that since your PC would know that. You can find some secluded place to turn celestial in a few seconds, and there's enough cars nobody would probably notice yours in the mix. But it'd cost you a minute to get to your car and drive off enough to get away.
    That said, with a good Resonance roll, you'd be there in a minute of travel. So still enough time.

EDIT 1: to be explicit: I don't have a clear map of distances in my mind, so some of this is narrative. As an Ofanite, you can reasonably travel anywhere in the city in minutes if you go celestial.
    I do have an idea of where the Tethers are, and where some major places like the Commune are with respect to the Tethers, but it's all kinda loose. On that note, the Commune, Torel Garden, and the main university (Destiny) are all outside the main city. They are affiliated with the city, for sure, but the university in the north is out in the woods a ways, as are the Commune and the park.

The other Tethers, and the lesser nexuses that Melektas and Gaspariel found, are all in the city proper.

With that in mind, although the shape is a pentagram, not all the points of the star are necessarily the same length. But that's mostly me giving myself some narrative fluidity. If you think I've contradicted myself, let me know and I"ll fix it or clarify.
    No, that all seems pretty clear to me.

EDIT: Damn, one off from a critical success.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2020-03-20 at 12:36 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

That is useful information about Heaven. But it definitely seems like finding each other in Heaven and having Ramiel drag Inian back to the school would be the more involved process, so I guess that's a backup plan in case I do really horribly on my next rolls.
    I didn't realize that was your thought.
    That would be decently-good plan. If both you and Ramiel ascended to your Hearts, you could find each other pretty quickly. You'd both be in the Groves, and it shouldn't be too hard if an ofanite and cherub are yelling for each other to find each other; and the other angels would help you. Then Ramiel could descend back to earth, and you follow him, so you are both at the same spot.

It would be more involved, and cost more essence and Noise. But doable as a backup plan.

I'll also note that, although time on earth and in the celestial plane moves essentially at the same rate, time in Heaven is a bit more... fluid or narrative. It's possible to do a few things in Heaven while it would seem like longer would pass on earth, but you still get back pretty quickly. The inverse can also be true, if it's helpful; for example, some angels spend centuries or millennia doing paperwork (or some celestial equivalent, like managing the stability of creation), but it might pass quickly from their perception.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Relics of Import for dealing with shedites

Bell of Exorcism -- target can resist with Will, but can expel a shedite (or kyriotate) from a host.

Censer of Binding -- prevents someone from exiting a host or changing their vessel. Can be resisted, but a hard roll.

Force Catcher -- if you are possessed while holding this, the Forces that would enter you are instead captured in this crystal. It can hold up to 2*Level Forces, so you'd need a high enough rank one to capture a shedite whole (or it fails). Part of a kyriotate can be captured.
    They can try to break free once captured and then every so-many hours--but that's probably long enough to transfer the prisoner to Heaven (or Hell) if they fail the first roll.

---

A Force Catcher is probably the best way to capture one, but you'd need it high rank, and it costs 3 xp + 3*Rank to purchase (with the sense of xp partially reflecting favor from your Superior). So not really feasible for PCs.

I'll also mention the Castler. if someone would possess you via Song of Possession or some other means, this lets you possess thier body while they are in yours.

Spirit Batteries also exist, but only work on ethereals (er, maybe), relievers, imps, and gremlins. I guess it could in theory hold a celestial, but the it could hold is 6 Forces, so you'd need to find one that has lost Forces.
    No idea this existed, really good list.

All of those could work for capturing, but it depends on a lot of moving pieces. Either a lot of others all working together (very doable) or slightly fewer people and a lot more character points development on my side. All doable but all long term. Good to know what options are around to think about building towards though. Thanks Jeen.

Liking the Spirit and Force options the most at a glance.

Don't be an Ofanim, they said. Their resonances aren't that useful, they said. Well, look at me now.

EDIT: Damn, one off from a critical success.
    I admit you make Ofanim look like a lot of fun. Even trying to stay 'blind' to what's happening outside my bubble, I'm now convinced the song of motion is secretly how other angels cope with not being able to turn into a spinning wheels made out of light. Also, I've rolled a LOT more than you, and you're still much closer to a divine intervention.

Is...is this punishment for choosing a boring choir/band?
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-03-20 at 05:59 PM.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Regarding shedites: one major difference between shedites and kyriotates is that shedites can only possess humans (barring a few rare Band attunements, such as Saminga's letting them possess corpses or Vapula letting them possess objects.) Kyriotates, on the other hand, can possess vessels and animals as well (though only kyriotates of Animals can possess bugs.)

So some of those capture objects are harder since you need a human proxy.

If your body is possessed by Song of Possession, you go to the Marches. An angel is aware of this, though, and can return to earth via a successful Will roll if they have another vessel to assume. ...so, generally, stuck on the Marches with no idea what's going on, and hoping their body isn't killing their friends or committing suicide. (If your vessel is dead when you would return to it, you go to Trauma.)
    If you do assume a second vessel, your first one will dissolve harmlessly once the possessing force leaves it, just like if you shifted vessels while being in it. That is, no penalty.

I'm not 100% clear on the canon rules for going to earth from the Marches (that is, the ethereal realm), and it might not never come up anyhow, but. um, I felt like writing some stuff about the Marches, hence the stuff above.
    You can sorta walk to Heaven (or Hell) from the Marches if you get to Blandine's (or Beleth's) tower. I guess there's a portal or something, or those Marches domains are coterminious in some way with their heavenly cathedrals... but usually that'd be more time-consuming and (for those with low ethereal Forces) more dangerous. Just like celestial combat uses Will and Perception, ethereal combat uses Intelligence and Precision.

---

@ScottL RE Melektas: guessing the illness has you down for the count for now. Know that you're welcome to rejoin whenever you are feeling better. I'd be happy to work with you to have you catch up temporally with the others. Or, if it takes long enough, I might write up a few options for you and you can pick... that is, basically semi-NPC you for a few scenes then you are back in power.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Today got crazy, so update likely Tuesday.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Regarding shedites: one major difference between shedites and kyriotates is that shedites can only possess humans (barring a few rare Band attunements, such as Saminga's letting them possess corpses or Vapula letting them possess objects.) Kyriotates, on the other hand, can possess vessels and animals as well (though only kyriotates of Animals can possess bugs.)

So some of those capture objects are harder since you need a human proxy.

If your body is possessed by Song of Possession, you go to the Marches. An angel is aware of this, though, and can return to earth via a successful Will roll if they have another vessel to assume. ...so, generally, stuck on the Marches with no idea what's going on, and hoping their body isn't killing their friends or committing suicide. (If your vessel is dead when you would return to it, you go to Trauma.)
    If you do assume a second vessel, your first one will dissolve harmlessly once the possessing force leaves it, just like if you shifted vessels while being in it. That is, no penalty.

I'm not 100% clear on the canon rules for going to earth from the Marches (that is, the ethereal realm), and it might not never come up anyhow, but. um, I felt like writing some stuff about the Marches, hence the stuff above.
    You can sorta walk to Heaven (or Hell) from the Marches if you get to Blandine's (or Beleth's) tower. I guess there's a portal or something, or those Marches domains are coterminious in some way with their heavenly cathedrals... but usually that'd be more time-consuming and (for those with low ethereal Forces) more dangerous. Just like celestial combat uses Will and Perception, ethereal combat uses Intelligence and Precision.

---

@ScottL RE Melektas: guessing the illness has you down for the count for now. Know that you're welcome to rejoin whenever you are feeling better. I'd be happy to work with you to have you catch up temporally with the others. Or, if it takes long enough, I might write up a few options for you and you can pick... that is, basically semi-NPC you for a few scenes then you are back in power.
    This is kind of the difference between running a story and just playing ONE person in it. I didn't think about half this stuff like human proxies and potentially dealing with the dreamscape. Does the Song of Motion even work in dreams? It seems like distance is especially iffy in a dream, like in heaven.

Also, with how things are IRL, even healthy people can take 2-3 days to get over mild symptoms. If we're not at our best health at the time, two weeks seems to be a thing. So Mel is very likely out for a long while? It's basically Faust and me. At least we know UB is mostly ok, he's just focusing in another thread. Jeen, you mentioned you like having more characters/players, so do we recruit again?

19. - Top - End - #79
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    This is kind of the difference between running a story and just playing ONE person in it. I didn't think about half this stuff like human proxies and potentially dealing with the dreamscape. Does the Song of Motion even work in dreams? It seems like distance is especially iffy in a dream, like in heaven.
    I'm not sure of the canon answer, but I think it would help. But since "where you are" and "distance" don't have solid meanings, I'm not sure how helpful it'd be.

In general, I plan on avoiding the Marches. You might see if it someone gets a Song of Poessession on you. Well, Camael won't, as she can't get possessed barring an infernal intervention.

Also, with how things are IRL, even healthy people can take 2-3 days to get over mild symptoms. If we're not at our best health at the time, two weeks seems to be a thing. So Mel is very likely out for a long while? It's basically Faust and me. At least we know UB is mostly ok, he's just focusing in another thread. Jeen, you mentioned you like having more characters/players, so do we recruit again?
    I put a note in the OOC thread of the In Nomine game I'm a player in. I'll see if any of them are interested first before opening it to the public. I DMed a game with the players being the DM there and one of the players, plus another person,, and it went well until some real life stuff wound up with it ending early.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-24 at 10:08 AM.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Sorry this is just a quick hi to say I'm getting together a reply for tomorrow, it's just going sluggish.

21. - Top - End - #81
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Will post update Tuesday or Wednesday.
    Also, made an official rerecruiting thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...ing&p=24426679

22. - Top - End - #82
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Rollin' (more than needed)

(3d6)[1][2][6](9)
    (3d6)[5][2][5](12)
    (3d6)[5][2][3](10)
    (3d6)[2][3][2](7)
    (3d6)[2][4][6](12)
    (3d6)[3][2][5](10)
    (3d6)[4][3][2](9)
    (3d6)[3][5][4](12)
    (3d6)[6][3][5](14)
    (3d6)[6][1][5](12)

Note to self: roll 3 for s/j--success---t
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-31 at 08:41 AM.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Exclamation Re: The City of Pentagram

Heya. Still very interested, Jeen, Faust, but recently an event popped up in my immediate family. It's now in the hands of highly trained professionals, so it all should go as perfectly well as it can. Honestly, seeing updates in this story is relaxing? Reassuring? Really good.

@Faust, I know this is only the first in game day, but do you have any rough ideas how we might approach Fire? You'll likely get to the gang first (underground fighting is a more direct way than going to a bakery, who knew?), and Tethers seem to be largely about humanity and the spiritual connection in the area. How could we flip it to War? I haven't sussed out the prophecy-redemption-gives-angels-an-advantage-against-Fire thing, yet (no surprise, again, still Day 1).
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-04-07 at 01:31 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

Sorry to hear that about family, JoyWonderLove, but sounds like things are as well as they can be.

Regarding the Fire Tether, I feel I should note that it should work okay if the PCs have different goals about it. Destroying or converting it are possible, but not easy. Y'all (probably) learn more about the Tether to Fire as the game continues. As you might expect, there's more than meets the eye going on.

Also, a Malakim of Fire might be joining the team, with what goals you can probably assume Gabriel has about a Tether of Belial. Not to say War, The Sword, or Fire wouldn't be for converting or healing the souls of humans in and around the Tether, but some bloodshed is probably to be expected. I don't want to ruffle feathers OOC, even if IC there is some strife.

On another re-recruiting note, a Bright Lilim of Destiny is also on the potential roster.

EDIT/UPDTATE Wednesday: might be Thursday until update. Today being a little crazy between work and a grocery run.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-04-08 at 09:42 AM.

25. - Top - End - #85
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

Hello everyone!

Just got through the re-recruiting process and eager to play.

Here's my character: Astarieth, also known as Tommy "the Sledgehammer" Rodriguez. Seraphim of Dominic, role as a loan shark.

Been poking through the IC and OOC threads, but not caught up yet. Nice to meet you all. Pending guidance from GM an how to introduce the character and whether we know each other yet.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-11 at 02:30 PM.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Blessings, Robnar. Thank you for joining us. Astarieth looks like a more lenient but creative and holistic approach to a Judgement angel. There's also natural affinity for Marc. So you and Faust are basically crucial to us actually denting the Fire Tether. Hopefully I'll dig up useful info to actually help you guys win sooner.

Much more importantly, are there any Tethers in particular you want to tackle first, or any newspaper/prophecy task?

27. - Top - End - #87
    Bugbear in the Playground

MindFlayer

@JWL - Glad to be in the game too. Glad you enjoy the character. Do think there's a natural play with Marc, but given Astarieth's actual motives (finding demons and outcasts), he's more of a 'deep-undercover-angelic-cop.' I think it would be fun down the line to explore the Marc connection if the development of the game supports it.

I think his character and yours will play well together, given their access to information from entirely different strata of society.

I'm still catching up on the IC thread, so don't know enough to answer your question about his priorities to investigate. My initial inclination is that he'd focus on dealing with the Burnt.

@Jeen et al... My take on haw to be an angel of Judgment and play with the team.
    Spoiler: Servitor of Dominic
    Show
    I'm conscious of how challenging it can be for a servitor of Dominic to play well with others.
    I chose to focus Astarieth on the commonsense and practical morality aspects of the Word of Judgment - as in "is this good judgment or bad judgement". Feel it takes a mature/experienced player to do a servitor of Dominic well.

But, ultimately, Astarieth views being a servitor of Judgement as about making decisions - the actual test of judgement. It is important to Astarieth to make the right decisions, and not to decide prematurely, and he uses compassion, sense, context, and truth to do so. He also knows that when you need to make a judgment call you need information, and that includes the feedback of your team and Superior.

However, once he does make a decision, he has to move out on it, and that part isn't always lenient. He is a leg-breaker after all.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-11 at 07:53 PM.

28. - Top - End - #88
    Troll in the Playground

BardGuy

I hope to do an update on Monday and have something to intro Astarieth, but it might be Tuesday based on how some stuff looks like it might be going.

Also, I have 2-3 other prospective people joining, which will put us back to about the ideal number for game-start. I haven't heard from some in a few days, though, so I'll just introduce new players as they are ready.

@robnar: one thing of note for your Servant: she doesn't have any points in something like Knowledge (law). However, I plan on looking at the Corporeal Player's Guide, which has some ideas about free points for mortals to help them be more competent. Basically some points to put into a few things related to her profession or hobbies, to make her overall more likely to be decent when a roll is required.

Also, feel free to point out if you feel I leave out some intel you should be getting from your Resonance. I plan to include what should be included (if a lie or not, why telling the truth or not, up to what The Truth is, depending on the check digit), but the Seraph Resonance has some intricacies and I might forget something. Feel free to ask.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

Hi robnar! Nice to meet you as well. Really like your PC's name.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

30. - Top - End - #90
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Post Re: The City of Pentagram

@Jeen: Is it reasonable to use the reaction rolls rules on page 44? The two important bits,

Quote Originally Posted by page 44
    the Fast Talk skill can be substituted for a “normal” reaction roll. The GM may also substitute other skills as well,
    Quote Originally Posted by page 44
    GMs – again – don't let dice rolls get in the way of the plot. When an NPC needs to react in a certain way to further the plot, he does.
    From the above, NPCs like Bethrezen and Megulillel and other plot centric characters (Trip???) won't care, so it should only really be useful as a defensive ability from other NPCs. Also, using Fast Talk would only give me a safe target number (TN12 reaction roll because of Fast Talk 6). The check digit is still up to chance. But it obviously gives more self-sufficiency and peace of mind. Very useful pulling off the social side in places like the Fire bar. Otherwise, if that intrudes too much on Status' utility and takes away the fun of randomness, that's fair. This question has been bugging me since I read about it.

Quote Originally Posted by robnar View Post
    I think his character and yours will play well together, given their access to information from entirely different strata of society.

[..]My initial inclination is that he'd focus on dealing with the Burnt.

@Jeen et al... My take on haw to be an angel of Judgment and play with the team.
    Spoiler: Servitor of Dominic
    Show
    I'm conscious of how challenging it can be for a servitor of Dominic to play well with others.
    I chose to focus Astarieth on the commonsense and practical morality aspects of the Word of Judgment - as in "is this good judgment or bad judgement". Feel it takes a mature/experienced player to do a servitor of Dominic well.

But, ultimately, Astarieth views being a servitor of Judgement as about making decisions - the actual test of judgement. It is important to Astarieth to make the right decisions, and not to decide prematurely, and he uses compassion, sense, context, and truth to do so. He also knows that when you need to make a judgment call you need information, and that includes the feedback of your team and Superior.

However, once he does make a decision, he has to move out on it, and that part isn't always lenient. He is a leg-breaker after all.
    The Burnt are easily the hot button topic right now, so you're in good company if you help with that. You've also probably seen it, but the prophecy and newspaper part is here. Those are areas of interest. I've taken a glance at the bakery so far, and Faust is chasing after the underground fighting ring. Anyway, you've got a balanced way of looking at Judgement, and that's probably the way Heaven would do it (compassion, sense, context), if everything was the way it should be. But there's also a strongly hinted at reason in the In Nomine book about why Dominic is so harsh. (look at the picture on page 115, and now look at the picture on page 141; notice anything? )

Redemption and Judgement's general opinions on faltering celestials aside, there's good reasons to share and get info from different sources, like your Joan. Specifically, we'll probably feel the same that reducing our noticeable blind spots (badly outdated demon list by a -decade-, little to no info on Lust or Fate, why the areas of interest are interesting at all) is a necessity. The previous Judgement player was a really fun detective. UB did a kind of deadpan Sherlock Holmes. With him leaving, there's more uncovered ground.

So metaphorical Word focused angels like Astarieth have space to move and in good company. Inian is a good example of a metaphorical War approach (picking sensible fights, defending the weak, etc). We also have more literal Word focused angels, like Daisy. But Camael leans towards the metaphorical side of her Word as well. Astarieth, Camael and Inian all have that in common.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-04-13 at 05:52 AM.