Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 49
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Original link I found:
    https://www.geeknative.com/70078/wizard ... ice-given/

    Some discussion:
    http://www.thepiazza.org.uk/bb/viewt...p?f=36&t=23047

    I never played 4E, but my condolences to the community. Looks like due to End of Life for Microsoft Silverlight, not a WotC decision.
    Last edited by thorr-kan; 2019-12-19 at 10:15 AM.

  2. - Top - End - #2
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    When Mike Mearls said a few years ago that it would stay in place, I immediately made arrangements to get the online tools because MM is NEVER right about anything.

    This was just a matter of time. If it wasn't Silverlight, it would have been something to do with WotC's internal politics.

    The good news is that the offline tools are available. EMAIL ME.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

  3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    End of an era. Only a matter of time. Offline Character builder refuses to work on my computer for the moment though. Luckily, I have the offline compendium.
    Last edited by TheWayofPie; 2019-12-19 at 02:34 PM.

  4. - Top - End - #4
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Kurald Galain's Avatar

    Join Date
    Jun 2007

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    It's about time you youngsters got back to the glorious Dead Tree format, and cross-referencing everything by hand! Get off my lawn dammit!
    Guide to the Magus, the Pathfinder Gish class.

    "I would really like to see a game made by Obryn, Kurald Galain, and Knaight from these forums. I'm not joking one bit. I would buy the hell out of that." -- ChubbyRain
    Crystal Shard Studios - Freeware games designed by Kurald and others!

  5. - Top - End - #5
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    Powerdork's Avatar

    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Canadia

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Well, dead tree isn't the only format. If you're willing to shell out for them, you can get digital copies put up by Wizards on DriveThruRPG. Workable PDF reader not included.
    Ne/nem/nir, please and thank you.

  6. - Top - End - #6
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dimers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    @Metool -- I don't suppose those DriveThruRPG files have the latest updates blended in? It'd be nice to not have to look two places every time I check a power.

    Also, do you know whether the site has the Dragon and Dungeon mags?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

    Current games list

  7. - Top - End - #7
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    RedWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Yeah, that's the REAL loss I'm mourning here. Late-game errata and Magazine content. GDI.

    I HAVE almost every physical book I know of, but the digital magazine content and errata can't be compiled the same way.

    I JUST had a similar issue with my $1500+years-of-service art software being deprecated because of OS updates. Software life is crap. *headdesk*
    Last edited by RedWarlock; 2019-12-20 at 05:46 AM.

  8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jul 2013

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Time to download all your magazine content and make sure that your offline Compendium and offline CB are working.

  9. - Top - End - #9
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    EvilClericGuy

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWarlock View Post
    Yeah, that's the REAL loss I'm mourning here. Late-game errata and Magazine content. GDI.

    I HAVE almost every physical book I know of, but the digital magazine content and errata can't be compiled the same way.

    I JUST had a similar issue with my $1500+years-of-service art software being deprecated because of OS updates. Software life is crap. *headdesk*
    You're not wrong. Software as a Service is a great scam.

  10. - Top - End - #10
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dimers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    I don't suppose those DriveThruRPG files have the latest updates blended in? Also, do you know whether the site has the Dragon and Dungeon mags?
    For anyone interested ... I just read reviews from 2017 that say the PDFs are written with the updated material. And I didn't look through the whole list, but yes, quite a few magazine issues are available at DriveThruRPG. They're five bucks a pop but costly is better than unavailable.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

    Current games list

  11. - Top - End - #11
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    For anyone interested ... I just read reviews from 2017 that say the PDFs are written with the updated material. And I didn't look through the whole list, but yes, quite a few magazine issues are available at DriveThruRPG. They're five bucks a pop but costly is better than unavailable.
    Don't know if this is viable at all, but seeing if you can resubscribe to DDI for the last couple of weeks for a month is a great deal if you can download every single item.

    I just downloaded all the Dragon/Dungeon magazines because it is going to end, so...

    https://www.enworld.org/threads/4e-c...-guide.472893/
    Instructions in first post.

    But pretty sure it has nothing to do with Silverlight. They can keep running the computer that runs it and not update it and it should be in theory fine.

    Probably someone did a calculation and went, "Running this is taking up some amount of energy/cost > the benefit to our company"
    Last edited by MwaO; 2019-12-20 at 02:26 PM.

  12. - Top - End - #12
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    Don't know if this is viable at all, but seeing if you can resubscribe to DDI for the last couple of weeks for a month is a great deal if you can download every single item.

    I just downloaded all the Dragon/Dungeon magazines because it is going to end, so...

    https://www.enworld.org/threads/4e-c...-guide.472893/
    Instructions in first post.

    But pretty sure it has nothing to do with Silverlight. They can keep running the computer that runs it and not update it and it should be in theory fine.

    Probably someone did a calculation and went, "Running this is taking up some amount of energy/cost > the benefit to our company"
    I mean, it probably has something to do with Silverlight. Running outdated software indefinitely means that eventually, someone is going to crack it and use it to cause a data breach.

    And the cost of a data breach is big.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

  13. - Top - End - #13
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    I mean, it probably has something to do with Silverlight. Running outdated software indefinitely means that eventually, someone is going to crack it and use it to cause a data breach.

    And the cost of a data breach is big.
    Just put a server somewhere with no attachment to anything except a payment system. The risk is someone takes it down, not that it should be able to affect anything else.

  14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    Just put a server somewhere with no attachment to anything except a payment system. The risk is someone takes it down, not that it should be able to affect anything else.
    "Payment system"
    "Data breach"

    From an IT perspective, no, it's not OK to host this while Silverlight is depreciated.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

  15. - Top - End - #15
    Titan in the Playground
     
    DrowGuy

    Join Date
    Jul 2008

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    "Payment system"
    "Data breach"

    From an IT perspective, no, it's not OK to host this while Silverlight is depreciated.
    Then don't even allow it payment system access and instead have customers mail the subscription fee to WotC HQ via carrier pigeon every month. Do I have to think of everything here?
    "It doesn't matter how much you struggle or strive,
    You'll never get out of life alive,
    So please kill yourself and save this land,
    And your last mission is to spread my command,"

    Slightly adapted quote from X-Fusion, Please Kill Yourself

  16. - Top - End - #16
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Boci View Post
    Then don't even allow it payment system access and instead have customers mail the subscription fee to WotC HQ via carrier pigeon every month. Do I have to think of everything here?
    Carrier Pidgeons were deprecated in 1914, sadly.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

  17. - Top - End - #17
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    "Payment system"
    "Data breach"

    From an IT perspective, no, it's not OK to host this while Silverlight is depreciated.
    You do realize WotC isn't the company holding credit card info, right?

  18. - Top - End - #18
    Firbolg in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by MwaO View Post
    You do realize WotC isn't the company holding credit card info, right?
    You realize that every single account that can log in to access their subscription is an account associated with a payment method, right? Some percentage of accounts will have reused usernames and passwords, and regardless of that, there will be email addresses, password recovery info, and other personal information, right?

    The liability of a data breach due to unprotected software is just too expensive to justify, as is revamping the system.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

  19. - Top - End - #19
    Barbarian in the Playground
    Join Date
    Dec 2015

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Fable Wright View Post
    You realize that every single account that can log in to access their subscription is an account associated with a payment method, right?
    No. You have two accounts if you have a DDI account. One with WotC which has no payment information associated with it. One with Digital River which does have payment information associated with it.
    Last edited by MwaO; 2019-12-21 at 12:06 AM.

  20. - Top - End - #20
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWayofPie View Post
    End of an era. Only a matter of time. Offline Character builder refuses to work on my computer for the moment though. Luckily, I have the offline compendium.
    Do you know why your offline character builder is not working?

    When you load it, CBLoader goes to the github website to check for updates. It doesn't find any, so it reverts to the basic version of the software without updates.

    To get it to work, either run it with -d wherever you put that so that it doesn't check for downloads, or disconnect the internet until CBLoader/the character builder finish loading.

    Your problem should be solved.

    If not, email me for fresh links.

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    @Metool -- I don't suppose those DriveThruRPG files have the latest updates blended in? It'd be nice to not have to look two places every time I check a power.

    Also, do you know whether the site has the Dragon and Dungeon mags?
    Get the offline compendium and the errata is included.

    Quote Originally Posted by RedWarlock View Post
    Yeah, that's the REAL loss I'm mourning here. Late-game errata and Magazine content. GDI.

    I HAVE almost every physical book I know of, but the digital magazine content and errata can't be compiled the same way.

    I JUST had a similar issue with my $1500+years-of-service art software being deprecated because of OS updates. Software life is crap. *headdesk*
    The offline software continues to work well. I have been using the programmes for six years on XP, Vista, 7, and 10.

    Quote Originally Posted by masteraleph View Post
    Time to download all your magazine content and make sure that your offline Compendium and offline CB are working.
    Yep. Email me for the offline tool links.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

  21. - Top - End - #21
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dimers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ScrivenerofDoom View Post
    Get the offline compendium and the errata is included.
    I did, thanks to your assistance. (LOTS of thanks -- the Portable Compendium is far more useful than DDI was, even accounting for the fact that I could use DDI from work computers.) Sometimes typos happen, and sometimes context is needed to make sense of the limited text included in the Compendium, so it's nice to know a backup option is available.
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

    Current games list

  22. - Top - End - #22
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ScrivenerofDoom View Post
    Do you know why your offline character builder is not working?

    When you load it, CBLoader goes to the github website to check for updates. It doesn't find any, so it reverts to the basic version of the software without updates.

    To get it to work, either run it with -d wherever you put that so that it doesn't check for downloads, or disconnect the internet until CBLoader/the character builder finish loading.

    Your problem should be solved.

    If not, email me for fresh links.
    My issue is this:

    12/21/2019 11:13:34 AM - INFO: CBLoader version 1.3.0
    12/21/2019 11:13:34 AM - ERROR:
    Inner Exception: Root element is missing.

    12/21/2019 11:13:34 AM - INFO: Errors Encountered While Loading. Would you like to open the log file?

    Have you encountered anything like that? If not I'll get in touch with you for those links.

    This happens with or without using the -d shortcut too.
    Last edited by TheWayofPie; 2019-12-21 at 11:16 AM.

  23. - Top - End - #23
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWayofPie View Post
    My issue is this:

    12/21/2019 11:13:34 AM - INFO: CBLoader version 1.3.0
    12/21/2019 11:13:34 AM - ERROR:
    Inner Exception: Root element is missing.

    12/21/2019 11:13:34 AM - INFO: Errors Encountered While Loading. Would you like to open the log file?

    Have you encountered anything like that? If not I'll get in touch with you for those links.

    This happens with or without using the -d shortcut too.

    Ahhh, OK.

    I had similar errors a few years ago with corrupted files.

    Yes, grab the links from me and reload the software. That's how I fixed the same problem.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

  24. - Top - End - #24
    Pixie in the Playground
    Join Date
    Oct 2015

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by ScrivenerofDoom View Post
    Ahhh, OK.

    I had similar errors a few years ago with corrupted files.

    Yes, grab the links from me and reload the software. That's how I fixed the same problem.
    Thank you so much! I sent an e-mail over, hopefully it made it through!

  25. - Top - End - #25
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by TheWayofPie View Post
    Thank you so much! I sent an e-mail over, hopefully it made it through!
    I'm up-to-date with all of my emails and PMs so trust you now have the links.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

  26. - Top - End - #26
    Firbolg in the Playground
     
    Dimers's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Boston, MA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Okay, new problem: The WotC site is rejecting my login and the customer-service link from the login page is dead. Anybody got any thoughts on that?
    Avatar by Meltheim: Eveve, dwarven battlemind, 4e Dark Sun

    Current games list

  27. - Top - End - #27
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Quote Originally Posted by Dimers View Post
    Okay, new problem: The WotC site is rejecting my login and the customer-service link from the login page is dead. Anybody got any thoughts on that?
    No idea.

    This is, however, a good opportunity for me to again spruik the offline tools which are an email or a PM away!
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

  28. - Top - End - #28
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2019

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Have just tried to go into my DDI account, and finding I have suddenly no access, and the follow up link from customer services, does not work.
    I have had no notice that it all disappears on the 1st of January!
    Did anyone else get an email?

    So with a bit of google searching I have arrived here.

    Have been on DDI since the start, and I still failed to download the Dragon & Dungeon magazines, always meant to, but thought what’s the point, if I can just go to my DDI account - Bah!

  29. - Top - End - #29
    Dwarf in the Playground
     
    Beholder

    Join Date
    Aug 2010

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    I can solve your problems if you email me.
    Cheers
    Scrivener of Doom

  30. - Top - End - #30
    Pixie in the Playground
     
    GreataxeFighterGuy

    Join Date
    Dec 2019

    Default Re: DDI to be shut off at the end of 2019

    Thanks for the help ScrivenerofDoom much appreciated. 👍

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •