New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Timelines?

1. - Top - End - #1
    Barbarian in the Playground

Goblin

Default Timelines?

My wife says I'm going overboard, but I've always done timelines for my settings. Usually these are fairly simple but they occasionally get big (my steampunk setting timeline is way too big).

Do you do timelines for your settings? How much detail do you put in?

2. - Top - End - #2
    Librarian in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: Timelines?

Always; it helps me keep things straight.

I tend to keep it to points relevant to the campaign. Sure, there's probably battles and scandals and such that I don't mention, but they're not relevant to the game we're playing right now, so I don't deal with them. If they become relevant, they get viewed in light of what's going on around them (i.e. established events)
    The Cranky Gamer
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *Picard management tip: Debate honestly. The goal is to arrive at the truth, not at your preconception.
    *Mutant Dawn for Savage Worlds!
    *The One Deck Engine: Gaming on a budget
    Written by Me on DriveThru RPG
    There are almost 400,000 threads on this site. If you need me to address a thread as a moderator, include a link.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

imo, without a timeline or history, a setting is incomplete. Level of detail only needs to be that which a character would know. But needs to develop more than that as lore is learned, adventure is had, and things happen.

Some specific events, but in general eras or periods is all that is needed.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by LordEntrails View Post
    imo, without a timeline or history, a setting is incomplete. Level of detail only needs to be that which a character would know. But needs to develop more than that as lore is learned, adventure is had, and things happen.

Some specific events, but in general eras or periods is all that is needed.
    I wholeheartedly agree.
    A neutron walks into a bar and says, “How much for a beer?” The bartender says, “For you? No charge.”

01010100011011110010000001100010011001010010000001 10111101110010001000000110111001101111011101000010 00000111010001101111001000000110001001100101001011 100010111000101110

Later: An atom walks into a bar an asks the bartender “Have you seen an electron? I left it in here last night.” The bartender says, “Are you sure?” The atom says, “I’m positive.”

5. - Top - End - #5
    Banned

RedWizardGuy

A living world needs a history. It helps establish ancient foes and recent animosities. Having said that, I use broad strokes initially. Having a full timeline is as bad as having a full map. I need space to add and adapt as necessary for my campaign as the players interact with the world.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Agree with what was said above, and an addition...

Timelines can also be future as well as past, and if you are running a game where things occur even when characters aren;t present thenthe future timeline may be even more important.

In a game I ran a while ago, PCs were working out of a hiring hall. There would be job lists. Easy jobs disappeared and new easy jobs appeared almost daily. The harder the job, the longer it was likely to stay, but even those could disappear in a couple of weeks. So they had to decide which job they wanted, knowing the others might not be there when they got back.
    "That's a horrible idea! What time?"

T-Shirt given to me by a good friend.. "in fairness, I was unsupervised at the time".

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

Gotta have some basics bits in there, enough to have the world feel like there's more going on for the players to explore

It's been so many generations since the "great war"
    There's still scars on the land from the "calamity" that brought down the old empire
    There's been X number years of peace in the region
    The dungeon has been sealed off for so many centuries
    ... etc

Depending on your setting you can get away with vague concepts of time for some things, having only certain folk know the precise dates. In a fantasy setting you can have dwarves and elves still living from the great war, but none of the short lived races have living experience from that time. In turn only ancient creatures like dragons will recall the calamity and such.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Troll in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

i only use broad strokes, but i tend to know when important events shaping the world took place. as others mentioned, it may also be important because the oldest elves may remember very old times, and the oldest dragons even older.
    it's small enough that i can commit it to memory, though. i don't have extensive broadsheets
    In memory of Evisceratus: he dreamed of a better world, but he lacked the class levels to make the dream come true.

Ridiculous monsters you won't take seriously even as they disembowel you

my take on the highly skilled professional: the specialized expert

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

I tend to treat "timelines" like real history. The immediate history is fairly detailed, from a certain point of view, usually the winner. The further back you go the less detailed history becomes until all you've got is some big "general points" that are only detailed as myth and legend. That way I'm not real tied to events in the distant past if the players happen to pull time-travel shenanigans.
    Knowledge brings the sting of disillusionment, but the pain teaches perspective.
    "You know it's all fake right?"
    "...yeah, but it makes me feel better."

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Without a timeline, a setting is incomplete.
    But that doesn't mean you need a timeline.

Incomplete settings are great too. They allow to integrate more ideas from your players. They give you more time to maturate the universe (your PCs will live in it and the players question your choices), as you postpone some fundamental choices about the past of the universe to "after you've seen how things work".

In some sense, I consider a RPG setting is not complete as long as one full RPG campaign happened in it. So it doesn't really shock me for the timeline to progressively be set up and change along the first campaign within the universe.