Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Default Re: The Five Most Annoying Aspects of Star Wars

Quote Originally Posted by Droid Tony View Post
    5.The no sense of scale, time or space. When you start to talk about a GALAXY that numbers of things will be huge. Yet, in Star Wars the numbers of anything are super tiny. The story takes place across a galaxy that people can cross in like a couple minutes. Troops are given in numbers that sound great for maybe a single country on a single planet...but not like a troop full planet.

4.Have and eat cake. The galaxy is super huge so place X is ''far away backwater"...and yet anyone can go there in like a minute. So no place is really ''that far" away...yet people pretend like it is? Not to mention...you can bump into people you know if you all live in the same city....but to bump into a person you know on the other side of the galaxy on another planet? Impossible. The bad guys control stuff...and yet everyone is heavely armed and armored.

3.It's made for Kids. Right from the start, the heart of Star Wars has always been for kids. Everything is ''oh no the bad guys are doing bad stuff" and the ''good guys" must stop them. It's all action and adventure, with no serious adult anything. Even things like death are the kids lame ''oh he just fell down to take a nap" type deaths.

2.It's bland humans in space. Zero effort is made to have a galaxy of ALIEN life. It's just all humans. They can't even have a non human main character. Even Chewy is a secondary character. Why or why do we NEVER see any groups of alien Rebels? Would it REALLY be so hard to have the Wild Wing X-wing squad that was made of ALL Wokkies?

1.Woke Disney. :(
    ...uh, I'd recommend checking out A New Hope, which more or less takes on every point you make (except alien rebels, but hey, 70's budget and effects constraints).
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: I'm the sun, I'm the sun
    Show
    Spoiler: I can move I can run
    Show
    Spoiler: But you'll never stop me burning
    Show

2. - Top - End - #62
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by TeChameleon View Post
    Why did you introduce her as a hero of the Rebellion, yadda yadda yadda... in a movie where Admiral Ackbar was right there? She did nothing that wouldn't have been done just as easily by Ackbar, and without needing to shoehorn her into the narrative whilst pointlessly chucking Ackbar into deep space. "Hey look, it's a beloved character you remember fondly, and, whoops, he's dead for no reason!"
    I feel like the death of Ackbar's voice actor between TFA and trhe production of TLJ had a part in that decision.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Really? I always thought that, if anything, it was based on The Final Destination
    I assume you're referring to the "Rube Goldberg death" horror film? Because I'm not aware of any other film by that name. If that is the one, I can't say I see any resemblance whatsoever.

No, Rogue One is definitely "Star Wars does a commando film" in the same way that Ant-Man is a heist movie with superheroes. You're getting upset that the equivalent of Porkins and Red Leader died because we happened to spend a bit more screen time with them.

I went into the movie with around 95% certainty that the entire cast would be dead by the end. It did not disappoint.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Ettin in the Playground

The only thing that surprised me about the deaths in Rogue One was that Vader did not kill anyone with a name.

Forum Wisdom

the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Bugbear in the Playground

5.The no sense of scale, time or space. When you start to talk about a GALAXY that numbers of things will be huge. Yet, in Star Wars the numbers of anything are super tiny. The story takes place across a galaxy that people can cross in like a couple minutes. Troops are given in numbers that sound great for maybe a single country on a single planet...but not like a troop full planet.

4.Have and eat cake. The galaxy is super huge so place X is ''far away backwater"...and yet anyone can go there in like a minute. So no place is really ''that far" away...yet people pretend like it is? Not to mention...you can bump into people you know if you all live in the same city....but to bump into a person you know on the other side of the galaxy on another planet? Impossible. The bad guys control stuff...and yet everyone is heavely armed and armored.

3.It's made for Kids. Right from the start, the heart of Star Wars has always been for kids. Everything is ''oh no the bad guys are doing bad stuff" and the ''good guys" must stop them. It's all action and adventure, with no serious adult anything. Even things like death are the kids lame ''oh he just fell down to take a nap" type deaths.

2.It's bland humans in space. Zero effort is made to have a galaxy of ALIEN life. It's just all humans. They can't even have a non human main character. Even Chewy is a secondary character. Why or why do we NEVER see any groups of alien Rebels? Would it REALLY be so hard to have the Wild Wing X-wing squad that was made of ALL Wokkies?

1.Woke Disney. :(
    5. Uhh... what? People can't cross the galaxy in a couple minutes. That's made very clear. They edit the waiting out, you know; it's not as though the trip to Mordor on foot only took the 12 hours the movies give us. A single Imperial Star Destroyer has over 37,000 crew, and the empire had 25,000 of them at one point. That's a billion people. And the ISD was their capital ship; they had relatively few of them. Talking about smaller patrol vessels and ground forces will drastically raise that number. Plus, not all of the galaxy is explored, and much of what has been explored still isn't inhabited - or not enough to be worth the resources. Yes, a galaxy is big, but it's also quite barren. Most governments only care about major industrial worlds, which makes the number of planets quite a lot smaller.
    Now, the figures given for the starting point of the clone army are kind of ridiculous, but other than that it holds up fairly well.
    4. Again, that's movie magic. Editing. I really don't know what you mean about bumping into people you know, but even if I could think of examples, that's excusable because the main characters are important people heading to important places. The admiral of a fleet of 150,000 men only has so many places worth his time. Not everyone is heavily armed and armoured, just the people we watch. You know, the main characters? Even then, most of them are armed with a pistol. Even the rebel alliance - entire worlds devoted to resisting the empire - don't have the means to effectively engage Imperial walkers in a stand-up fight. So I'm kind of wondering what you think "heavily armed and armoured" means. Because you seem to think it means "able to kill a person without armoured support," which means I'm heavily armed with a kitchen knife.
    3. Yeah, except for Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, most of the clones in Clone Wars (the most kid-friendly Star Wars media out there,) everyone executed in Order 66, Anakin's "death", Greedo, Boba Fett, Jabba, Sidious, Vader, Han Solo...
    2. It's mostly humans, sure, but to say that the galaxy isn't obviously teeming with aliens is... basically to admit you've never seen any of the movies.
    1. Meh. Can't particularly argue.
    That's all I can think of, at any rate.

Quote Originally Posted by remetagross View Post
    All hail the mighty Strigon! One only has to ask, and one shall receive.

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Strigon View Post
    5. Uhh... what? People can't cross the galaxy in a couple minutes. That's made very clear. They edit the waiting out, you know; it's not as though the trip to Mordor on foot only took the 12 hours the movies give us. A single Imperial Star Destroyer has over 37,000 crew, and the empire had 25,000 of them at one point. That's a billion people. And the ISD was their capital ship; they had relatively few of them. Talking about smaller patrol vessels and ground forces will drastically raise that number. Plus, not all of the galaxy is explored, and much of what has been explored still isn't inhabited - or not enough to be worth the resources. Yes, a galaxy is big, but it's also quite barren. Most governments only care about major industrial worlds, which makes the number of planets quite a lot smaller.
    Now, the figures given for the starting point of the clone army are kind of ridiculous, but other than that it holds up fairly well.
    4. Again, that's movie magic. Editing. I really don't know what you mean about bumping into people you know, but even if I could think of examples, that's excusable because the main characters are important people heading to important places. The admiral of a fleet of 150,000 men only has so many places worth his time. Not everyone is heavily armed and armoured, just the people we watch. You know, the main characters? Even then, most of them are armed with a pistol. Even the rebel alliance - entire worlds devoted to resisting the empire - don't have the means to effectively engage Imperial walkers in a stand-up fight. So I'm kind of wondering what you think "heavily armed and armoured" means. Because you seem to think it means "able to kill a person without armoured support," which means I'm heavily armed with a kitchen knife.
    3. Yeah, except for Qui-Gon, Darth Maul, most of the clones in Clone Wars (the most kid-friendly Star Wars media out there,) everyone executed in Order 66, Anakin's "death", Greedo, Boba Fett, Jabba, Sidious, Vader, Han Solo...
    2. It's mostly humans, sure, but to say that the galaxy isn't obviously teeming with aliens is... basically to admit you've never seen any of the movies.

A couple of minutes is an eggageration but we all know what he means. Starwars is a franchise where people go to multiple planets across the galaxy within hours. Phantom Menace has travel from the Outer Rim, to The Galactic Core in about a day or two at most. Hell the flight from Tattooine to Alderan took a few hours. Travel distance in Starwars is basically meaningless.

And I think he's talking about how everyone in Starwars pretty much knows each other and people keep meeting long lost friends or running into Cameo aliens all of the time.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

The bad guys control stuff...and yet everyone is heavely armed and armored.
    Well yeah, if the bad guys weren't powerful, the Galaxy far far away wouldn't be so dangerous and people wouldn't need to be armed (though most people we follow are fighters one way or the other, the Lars didn't seem to have much firepower).

Woke Disney. :(
    I'm going to regret this, but... Can you develop what you mean exactly?

Forum Wisdom

I'll take that bet.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Anonymouswizard View Post
    My personal problem is that anime space battles tend to use mecha, whereas I want ships. But that's just a personal taste thing.
    True, but at least the capital ships aren't mecha.

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    I assume you're referring to the "Rube Goldberg death" horror film? Because I'm not aware of any other film by that name. If that is the one, I can't say I see any resemblance whatsoever.

No, Rogue One is definitely "Star Wars does a commando film" in the same way that Ant-Man is a heist movie with superheroes. You're getting upset that the equivalent of Porkins and Red Leader died because we happened to spend a bit more screen time with them.

I went into the movie with around 95% certainty that the entire cast would be dead by the end. It did not disappoint.
    Ditto. There was nothing wrong with Rogue One and the deaths were...normal. Honestly, the only death I thought was BS was using the Death Star laser to kill off the last two. I would've preferred them just getting swarmed by hundreds of storm trooper reinforcements arriving.
    Spoiler: I'm a writer!
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]
    ]Fate Stay Nano: Fate Stay Night x Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha

I Fell in Love with a Storm: MLP

Procrastination: MLP

Spoiler: Original Fiction
    Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

9. - Top - End - #69

I'm going to regret this, but... Can you develop what you mean exactly?
    Hell, I'm already regretting it on your behalf!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ettin in the Playground

Hell, I'm already regretting it on your behalf!
    ... Was half-expecting red-text.

Forum Wisdom

I'll take that bet.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

I winced a bit as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Red Fel, on quest rewards View Post
    "Is a stack of ten pancakes too many pancakes to give to the party, even if most of them fell on the floor and one or two were stepped on? I wanted to give my party pancakes as a reward but I'm unsure if it's too much. The pancakes are also laced with blowfish poison so the party would have to get an antitoxin before they could eat the ones which weren't pulverized by shoes."

I don't think anyone would want those pancakes even if you paid them to eat them.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Dwarf in the Playground

BlackDragon

5. Uhh... what?
    If you say it's editing, it's the worst editing ever. Sure you don't want to watch 12 hours of people traveling, but doing the 'push a button, oh look we are here' bit is even worse. You could write the script to say things like ''oh that was a long trip'' or even acknowladge the fact that distance exists.

4. Again, that's movie magic. Editing..
    It is dumb movie magic, when you are talking about a galaxy. If you know a person on planet x, 100,000 light years away, that lives in city x....what are the chances that if you ''suddenly zip across the galaxy in seconds'' and land at a random spot on planet x that you will bump into your best buddy? Zero...you know, unless you land in their back yard.

Yes, all kid friendly, Disney death. Exactly my point. People 'get hit' and then 'fall down to take a nap'. The silly heist movie even has all the main characters die in kid friendly explosions.

Teeming with aliens....in the far background. So...why not even one main character alien? Why only one alien side kick(Chwey)? Why don't we see more Rebel Aliens?

Sure ''budget'', but they still had make up....and Chwey is just a guy in a suit. And there are plenty of ways to do near human aliens, you know like Vulcans from Star Trek. Though there is no excuise for any of the recent movies.

Yea, just look at the Skywalker Saga mess...

13. - Top - End - #73

Yes, all kid friendly, Disney death. Exactly my point. People 'get hit' and then 'fall down to take a nap'.
    Spoiler: Don't mind us, just napping
    Show

Spoiler: Sleepytime!
    Show

Spoiler: I never sleep without my heated blanket!
    Show

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Yes, all kid friendly, Disney death. Exactly my point. People 'get hit' and then 'fall down to take a nap'. The silly heist movie even has all the main characters die in kid friendly explosions.
    I remember Vader's death in the OT to actually be pretty effective at showing well, death. It was very much 'this is what death looks like' sort of moment.

Then there was the Ewok crying over its slain friend, and stuff like Luke getting his arm chopped off or tortured by lightning. Even little things like the guy doing a kamikaze run on the SSD, or even stuff like Porkin's getting gunned down in the trench run. None of it was gory, but it was still pretty clearly people dying and suffering. I never felt like it held back in that regard.

Mind you, the Ewoks killing the stormtroopers was very much the 'get hit and fall down to take a nap' sort of thing. Really, I think that applies to pretty much all stormtrooper deaths. Which I think was part of the dehumanizing the movies did to them. The stormtroopers don't suffer, so it's okay to kill them en mass sort of thing.

The PT is awful for that though. I mean, on one side you have droids, who are very much played for comedy, and on the other side you have clones, literally copies of each other so you don't really get attached to any of them. All the really traumatic stuff happens at a distance or is skipped over like Anakin killing the younglings or Order 66 where the Jedi are quickly gunned down. The closest I can think of is Anakin executing Count Deku or Qui-Gon dying.

The ST has so far been the absolute best for this. I haven't seen Rise yet, but the first two have been pretty good about characters actually mourning each other, showing the brutality of combat, all the way down to Finn panicking in the first battle.
    Show
    Spoiler: Check out my fanfiction[URL="https://www.fanfiction.net/u/7493788/Forum-Explorer"
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show
    The Lost Dragon: A story about a priest who finds a baby dragon in his church and decides to protect them.

15. - Top - End - #75
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Don't mind us, just napping
    Show

Spoiler: Sleepytime!
    Show

Spoiler: I never sleep without my heated blanket!
    Show
    Spoiler: Oh no, my arm went to sleep!
    Show

Forum Wisdom

I'll take that bet.

16. - Top - End - #76

Spoiler: Oh no, my arm went to sleep!
    Show
    Spoiler: Fun with watercolors!
    Show

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Spoiler: Fun with watercolors!
    Show
    Spoiler: Lemme scratch your back!
    Show

Forum Wisdom

I'll take that bet.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Barbarian in the Playground

I agree, Grievous burning up and exploding from the inside was way too kid-friendly. And Count Dooku getting decapitated was nothing but fun for the whole family. Remember when Darth Maul only got cut in half? I can't believe they pulled that punch so severely. Blue Jedi Woman getting gunned down by basically a firing squad was also very tame.

"Kid-friendly explosions" is the funniest thing in this thread. Yeah, don't worry about him, Billy. He only got roasted alive and blown into a chunky mist. So long as you don't think about the fact that a character was just messily erased from life, it's totally fine.

19. - Top - End - #79

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    "Kid-friendly explosions" is the funniest thing in this thread.
    Agreed. I almost commented on how the opening scene is nothing but people getting kid-friendly shot.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Sure ''budget'', but they still had make up....and Chwey is just a guy in a suit. And there are plenty of ways to do near human aliens, you know like Vulcans from Star Trek. Though there is no excuise for any of the recent movies.
    Deep Space Nine was regularly full of Cardassians, Ferengi, and Klingons and that was a TV show. An Arkanian or Zeltron really would be zero effort. A Zabrak or Ubese also wouldn't be much more difficult. It doesn't need to be a Verpine or Ithorian doing acrobatics.
    We are not standing on the shoulders of giants, but on very tall tower of other dwarves.

Beneath the Leaves of Kaendor
    Undreamed Ages - A forum for Sword & Sorcery literature and art

21. - Top - End - #81
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    A Zabrak or Ubese also wouldn't be much more difficult.
    More Zabraks in general would be sweet. Those are the Maul aliens, right?

22. - Top - End - #82

Quote Originally Posted by Delicious Taffy View Post
    Yes. Also called Iridonians (though not all Zabraks are Iridonians).

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    Ditto. There was nothing wrong with Rogue One and the deaths were...normal. Honestly, the only death I thought was BS was using the Death Star laser to kill off the last two. I would've preferred them just getting swarmed by hundreds of storm trooper reinforcements arriving.
    Hmmm, depends. Peter Jackson style, with them each taking a dozen blaster shots over the course of a 10 minute slow motion battle? No thanks.

A brief scene of them in the elevator down, then showing the legion of Stormtroopers waiting outside, followed by a fade to black over massed blaster fire? Worked for Butch and Sundance, would have worked fine here.

Getting nuked was an acceptable way for me - it could have been worse. Which is kind of my mantra for the modern films anyway.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yora View Post
    Deep Space Nine was regularly full of Cardassians, Ferengi, and Klingons and that was a TV show. An Arkanian or Zeltron really would be zero effort. A Zabrak or Ubese also wouldn't be much more difficult. It doesn't need to be a Verpine or Ithorian doing acrobatics.
    The Mandalorian has made a point of using a number of humanoid aliens and though there are some restrictions - ex. it looked like they staged a certain fight scene with a Twi'lek character in a specific way to avoid having to use a stunt double - it's certainly possible even on a TV budget. The Disney films, even Rogue One, have just largely shied away from using such characters for some reason. It's a frustrating design choice that's been remarked upon as far back as The Force Awakens.

The most popular alien species in Star Wars is Twi'leks, by a huge margin and the fact that the ST doesn't include a Twi'lek character in a significant role is an embarrassment.

Technically Darth Maul is a Dathomirian. Dathomirians are a species born of hybridization between humans and Zabraks that display significant sexual dimorphism. The males almost complete resemble ordinary Zabraks, but the females resemble gray or white-skinned humans. Asajj Ventress is an example of a female Dathomirian. This was all covered in the extensive Asajj Ventress storyline in TCW.
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    Technically Darth Maul is a Dathomirian. Dathomirians are a species born of hybridization between humans and Zabraks that display significant sexual dimorphism. The males almost complete resemble ordinary Zabraks, but the females resemble gray or white-skinned humans. Asajj Ventress is an example of a female Dathomirian. This was all covered in the extensive Asajj Ventress storyline in TCW.
    This, I think, is probably the dumbest retcon from the entire Maul arc, including Maul still being alive. He's the original example of his species, just let him be one, for crying out loud. Its not like theres actually any real reason to make them related instead of just having a zabrak colony there.
    “Evil is evil. Lesser, greater, middling, it's all the same. Proportions are negotiated, boundaries blurred. I'm not a pious hermit, I haven't done only good in my life. But if I'm to choose between one evil and another, then I prefer not to choose at all.”

26. - Top - End - #86

If we're getting into technicalities, Dathomirian is a subspecies of Zabrak; he's still a Zabrak.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

If we're getting into technicalities, Dathomirian is a subspecies of Zabrak; he's still a Zabrak.
    No, it's not, that's not how the biology works. Dathomirians are a hybrid species, a new true-breeding population created from a mixture of two existing populations, in this case Zabraks and Humans, but they are not a sub-species of either. This is a real evolutionary process.
    Resvier: a P6 homebrew setting

28. - Top - End - #88
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Getting nuked was an acceptable way for me - it could have been worse. Which is kind of my mantra for the modern films anyway.
    I agree it could've been way worse. And the only reason I dislike the scene is because they are blowing up a massive Imperial facility, sacrificing thousands of their own personal for no good reason.
    Show
    Show
    here[/URL]

Show

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Forum Explorer View Post
    I agree it could've been way worse. And the only reason I dislike the scene is because they are blowing up a massive Imperial facility, sacrificing thousands of their own personal for no good reason.
    I will say, while I like Rogue One quite a bit on the whole, I definitely agree with that criticism. That was a strange, nonsensical move on Tarkin's part.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

"We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Mechalich View Post
    No, it's not, that's not how the biology works.
    It is in Star Wars.

Physics (like orbital mechanics, among other things) also works differently in that galaxy, so quibbling about biology seems needless.

BIOLOGICAL CLASSIFICATION

DESIGNATION Sentient[1]

CLASSIFICATION Zabrak[1]

Dathomirians, also known as Dathomirian Zabraks and Dathomiri, were a subspecies of Zabrak native to the planet Dathomir.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2019-12-22 at 11:17 PM.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show