Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 61 to 90 of 140
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Second, @Bobthewizard - At this point, is there an in character reason to interrogate the vanara prisoner? Until Bai and Yue come back, we donít know anything about the Ďmisunderstandingí ... Unless it would makes sense from a campaign background.

    This is part of why Iím doing the insight check - to see if we get anything from the prisonerís nonverbals.
    That is why I posted here and not IC. I had forgotten the we had a Vanara prisoner. Seeing Fellhammer's post made me go back and check and sure enough we do. The dilemma for us is, while we forgot to interrogate the Vanara before reading a conversation that our characters couldn't hear, would they have been smarter than us and asked her questions just based on the fact that she is Vanara and so are the campers. I think for Zhang, Mia, Yue and Bai, the answer is likely no. I think for Lin and Fen the answer might be yes, but I'll let you decide.

  2. - Top - End - #62
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    I'm not admitting that I have much experience with being drunk, but you're doing great.
    Thank you

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    First off, I love that we all are thinking, ĎLetís keep a low profileí and the first thing Bai does is say ďWe got prisoners!Ē Classic!


    Yep. Bai is cold, hungover or still drunk, hungry, and grumpy. Probably not thinking straight. And it's his people so his guard might be down a bit.

    With regards on how to handle this situation... it depends on how things proceed obviously but I think it's reasonable to say that a handful of prison guards can't defend the wagon against 40-50 armed and armored warriors. So we may be able to negotiate safe passage if we turn her over.

  3. - Top - End - #63
    Bugbear in the Playground
    Join Date
    Jan 2018
    Location
    Somewhere Strange

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Alternatively, we could knock her unconscious, Lin casts invisibility on her (or we stick her underneath the blankets), and we travel past the vanara; she'd be both impossible to spot and unable to make noise. Invisibilty lasts for an hour, long enough for us to get past. If they don't believe we have the princess, they don't have much reason to stop us from travelling.

    We can politely decline any offer of sharing their fires, citing security concerns that one of the other prisoners might persuade one of the monkeys to help them or w/e.
    And the far stars cried, and the planets yearned;
    But no man may know, for she'll ne'er return.

  4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    That is why I posted here and not IC. I had forgotten the we had a Vanara prisoner. Seeing Fellhammer's post made me go back and check and sure enough we do. The dilemma for us is, while we forgot to interrogate the Vanara before reading a conversation that our characters couldn't hear, would they have been smarter than us and asked her questions just based on the fact that she is Vanara and so are the campers. I think for Zhang, Mia, Yue and Bai, the answer is likely no. I think for Lin and Fen the answer might be yes, but I'll let you decide.
    I remembered, but since this is a new campaign world that Iím immersing into, I donít have a firm feel for the kind of things we should automatically be suspicious of. Do all Vanara work together, or know each other? Would we automatically associate these guys with the prisoner? Iím just not sure yet, and didnít want to assume.

    Maybe a question to Fell ...?
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  5. - Top - End - #65
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    I've had a heck of a problem with the GitP forum the last few days. Seems like the server is always busy or something.

    Anyways, I finally managed to post IC. Trying to get Yue in on this action and move this to the others players as well.

    It is possible that the Yuansu are here for the Princess as well (assuming the Elder's story is true, though he seemed to have known we would be here).

    We could hand her over to the Elder and not worry about what happens to her afterwards, though I think in Bai's case he may feel compelled to concern himself with her safety.

    We could make contact with the Yuansu and find out what they're about, thought judging by the description it's likely they're raiders or something equally as violent and aggressive.

    We could perhaps join forces with the vanara and avoid the valley altogether, try to make it through the night staying on the high ground maybe?



    Also, testing the character template:

    Bai Yong
    Level 3 Drunken Master| HP: 24/24 | AC: 18



  6. - Top - End - #66
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    I've had a heck of a problem with the GitP forum the last few days. Seems like the server is always busy or something.

    Anyways, I finally managed to post IC. Trying to get Yue in on this action and move this to the others players as well.

    It is possible that the Yuansu are here for the Princess as well (assuming the Elder's story is true, though he seemed to have known we would be here).

    We could hand her over to the Elder and not worry about what happens to her afterwards, though I think in Bai's case he may feel compelled to concern himself with her safety.

    We could make contact with the Yuansu and find out what they're about, thought judging by the description it's likely they're raiders or something equally as violent and aggressive.

    We could perhaps join forces with the vanara and avoid the valley altogether, try to make it through the night staying on the high ground maybe?



    Also, testing the character template:

    Bai Yong
    Level 3 Drunken Master| HP: 24/24 | AC: 18


    Forum has been bad for me as well.

    There are four paths - the one you arrived on (leading down the hill), two on the far side of the small valley (both go to Yule, one is the most direct route; the other passes by a monastery) and another near you (this one leads to a long abandoned, ancient Vanara tower).

    EDIT: You guys could also scale the hills and cliffs but that would mean abandoning the mules and the wagon (and leaves you in a quandary about hat to do with the prisoners).


    Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    I remembered, but since this is a new campaign world that Iím immersing into, I donít have a firm feel for the kind of things we should automatically be suspicious of. Do all Vanara work together, or know each other? Would we automatically associate these guys with the prisoner? Iím just not sure yet, and didnít want to assume.

    Maybe a question to Fell ...?
    Since the setting is new, I am making an effort to emphasize things that are weird or out of the ordinary. Vanara congregate together the same as any other race. The oddity here is not that there are a bunch of Vanara but there are a bunch of vanara HERE in the mountains while there have been a series of big snow storms rolling through. :)
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2020-01-11 at 10:04 PM.
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  7. - Top - End - #67
    Titan in the Playground
     
    ClericGuy

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Fen Ye had already gagged her, I thought ...
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."


    Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

  8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Fen Ye had already gagged her, I thought ...
    Oh sorry, I missed that. Well then she is just going to shake the cage and try her best to make a scene!

    All fixed :)
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2020-01-12 at 11:30 PM.
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  9. - Top - End - #69
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    So we need to go past the other campsites to get to Yule, right?

    Here are some thoughts. It's up to Yue and Bai though to make a plan.

    We can't have the prisoners know that we willingly gave away the Vanara princess. They will rat us out. We need the Vanara to pretend to force us to give up the prisoner. Perhaps they could hold a knife to Yue and offer to exchange her for the prisoner. We could acquiesce, letting them have their princess. Then after we give them a good head start, we go to the other campsites and ask for their help. I think something like this is our safest option but it involves some deception of the prisoners.

    I also think we might need to put an arrow in the Conkhi.

  10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    In case anyone missed it: There are four paths

    • The path you arrived on that leads back down to the lowlands (i.e. where you came from).
    • There is a path at the far side of the valley that leads directly to Yule
    • There is another path on the far side of the valley that eventually goes to Yule but takes a much longer route (which passes by a monastery).
    • There is a path very near you that leads to a long abandoned, ancient vanara tower


    If you guys could also scale the hills and cliffs but that would mean abandoning the mules and the wagon (and leaves you in a quandary about what to do with the prisoners).
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  11. - Top - End - #71
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    How are the Yuansu at the other campfires placed in relationship to the different paths?
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

  12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    How are the Yuansu at the other campfires placed in relationship to the different paths?
    From what you can see they are huddled around the entrances to the two paths on that side of the valley. Very suspicious...
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  13. - Top - End - #73
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    We can't have the prisoners know that we willingly gave away the Vanara princess. They will rat us out. We need the Vanara to pretend to force us to give up the prisoner. Perhaps they could hold a knife to Yue and offer to exchange her for the prisoner. We could acquiesce, letting them have their princess. Then after we give them a good head start, we go to the other campsites and ask for their help. I think something like this is our safest option but it involves some deception of the prisoners.
    There is another option, but I put it here for completeness not because it's what I advocate. We could kill all of the Vanara and give the princess to the Yuansu. It would be more dangerous at present due to the fight but perhaps safer in the long run when we have to deal with the Yuansu. Either of my plans could also backfire if the Yuansu are instead looking for the Liwairin. I still vote for the first plan or am open to other options.

    Do we know if there is another route to Yule if we go to the old Vanara tower?
    Last edited by Bobthewizard; 2020-01-13 at 02:41 PM.

  14. - Top - End - #74
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    You mentioned three paths (if I'm reading your post right) and said the yuansu are blocking two. Can you clarify .

  15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    There is another option, but I put it here for completeness not because it's what I advocate. We could kill all of the Vanara and give the princess to the Yuansu. It would be more dangerous at present due to the fight but perhaps safer in the long run when we have to deal with the Yuansu. Either of my plans could also backfire if the Yuansu are instead looking for the Liwairin. I still vote for the first plan or am open to other options.

    Do we know if there is another route to Yule if we go to the old Vanara tower?
    Spoiler: Knowledge Nature
    Show


    • Lin Luoyang ➜ (1d20)[16]
    • Zhang Yong ➜ (1d20)[8]
    • Yue ➜ (1d20)[19]
    • Mia Shao ➜ (1d20)[11]
    • Fēn Yě ➜ (1d20)[10]
    • Bai Yong ➜ (1d20)[8]


    Spoiler: Nature 15
    Show
    You know that there is another path leading to Yule from the Circuit of Xi Mao. You can get there by heading towards the abandoned Vanara Tower, then following a winding path back down into the plains, then taking another mountain road up to Yule. Sadly, that road will not be wide enough for the wagon.

    Last edited by Felhammer; 2020-01-13 at 03:51 PM.
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  16. - Top - End - #76
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    You mentioned three paths (if I'm reading your post right) and said the yuansu are blocking two. Can you clarify .
    Yes. The two paths lead to Yule but both are being blocked by the two different Yuansu groups. The third path leads to an abandoned vanara tower.
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    State of Denial

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Trying out an old template:

    Mia Shao
    Third level Bard
    HP: 27/27 AC: 16 Concentrating on: --


    EDIT: Perfect. I'll try to make sure my posts are getting in more frequently. I think I have the internet issues worked out now.

    Hope you guys are all having a great week.
    Last edited by Fishybugs; 2020-01-13 at 06:18 PM.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

    Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show


    Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

  18. - Top - End - #78
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Would there be anything in a Herbalism kit or that could be gathered nearby that could put the princess into a coma or near death state?
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

  19. - Top - End - #79
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    I think there is some confusion. Let me draw a quick MS paint map.

    Spoiler: map
    Show


    Some of the Headband-wearing Yuansu are leaving the valley and heading down the path that goes to the Monastery (and eventually, Yule).

    For those that passed their nature checks, they know that the path that leads to the abandoned Vanara Tower eventually leads you back into the lowlands, in the Circuit of Xi Mao. From there, you can head a short distance to another mountain path that will take you to Yule. Additionally, you could head back down to Pinggou, travel through the lowlands to the Circuit of Xi Mao and take the mountain path up to Yule. The only catch is that the the Xi Mao mountain path is not wide enough for the wagon.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2020-01-14 at 12:28 PM.
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  20. - Top - End - #80
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    I think there is some confusion. Let me draw a quick MS paint map.

    Spoiler: map
    Show


    Some of the Headband-wearing Yuansu are leaving the valley and heading down the path that goes to the Monastery (and eventually, Yule).
    I was confused. My fault, not yours, but thanks for clearing it up. So we still have a clear path to the tower.

  21. - Top - End - #81
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    I was confused. My fault, not yours, but thanks for clearing it up. So we still have a clear path to the tower.
    No worries. I doubt you were the only one that was a little confused.
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  22. - Top - End - #82
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Fishybugs, there are a couple problems with your plan, but I don't want to discuss spell mechanics IC.

    Silence only lasts 10 minutes, likely not enough for us to get through this valley. But more importantly, it targets a point not an object and is immobile. So we can only silence a 20' radius sphere that we pass through. It might be good back up in case one of them tries to make noise despite our restraints, giving us time to "quiet" them.

  23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    So the plan is to pull the prisoners out, gag them, bind them and blind fold them, then march them to the tower?
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  24. - Top - End - #84
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    No reason to pull the prisoners out. You can bind and gag someone through a cage by sticking your arms between the bars. I'm not ready to give up the cart or the mules.

    I don't know yet what our next step is. We need Yue and Bai to come back. So I would say,

    Step 1: Bind & gag prisoners
    Step 2: Deal with Vanara
    Step 3: Go to tower or sneak past Yuansu to one of the paths.

  25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground
     
    Felhammer's Avatar

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    My 🐧🏰
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Works for me
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc
    Stomping Ground - IC / OOC / Doc

  26. - Top - End - #86
    Troll in the Playground
     
    Dr.Samurai's Avatar

    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    ICU, under a cherry tree.
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Ok, sorry for the delay. Week got busy. Just posted that Bai is returning to let the others in on what's going on.

  27. - Top - End - #87
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    State of Denial

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    Fishybugs, there are a couple problems with your plan, but I don't want to discuss spell mechanics IC.

    Silence only lasts 10 minutes, likely not enough for us to get through this valley. But more importantly, it targets a point not an object and is immobile. So we can only silence a 20' radius sphere that we pass through. It might be good back up in case one of them tries to make noise despite our restraints, giving us time to "quiet" them.
    Agreed. Mia is currently fishing for a non-violent solution to the problem.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

    Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show


    Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

  28. - Top - End - #88
    Bugbear in the Playground
     
    DrowGirl

    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Washington, USA
    Gender
    Male

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Everyone IC is worried about us being gone so long, however that little chat down there probably took less then 5 minutes.

    I am trying as hard as I can to maintain plausible deniability for whatever comes out of this.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

  29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    State of Denial

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Five minutes is a long time when youíre afraid your friends may be killed or taken by a hostile group.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

    Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show


    Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

  30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground
     
    GnomeWizardGuy

    Join Date
    Apr 2019

    Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

    Fellhammer,

    If we had a distraction, is there room to get the wagon past either of the Yuansu camps, preferably the one in front of the direct route.

    If not, how does everyone feel about making contact with one of the Yuansu groups after we get rid of the Vanara. We could tell them we were surrounded and had to give up the Vanara prisoner. So maybe take the wagon to the tower, then maybe two of us could stumble into their camp, ask for help, and tell them the Vanara surrounded us and took all the prisoners down the path towards Pinggou.

    I don't think we'll make Yule without the mules, so I think the Tower route should be our last option. A 6 day journey on horseback is likely 12-18 days on foot. We wouldn't be able to carry enough food, unless someone can make it magically. Even then, we would still be forced to monitor the prisoners without a cage to keep them in.

    I'd love to hear everyone's ideas on plans to get through the valley.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •