Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: [OOC] Heroes of Jinshu [D&D 5E]

Purposefully going a little slow until after the new years! I do not want to push on a head too quickly while so many are out celebrating. After the new year, we will start posting in earnest!
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2019-12-30 at 11:48 AM.
    DMing:
    The Heroes of Jinshu - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Forge of Fury - IC / OOC / Doc
    The Maze of Shattered Souls - IC / OOC / Doc

2. - Top - End - #32
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Copy that Fell ... quick question - how did the prisoner’s react to Fen Ye’s comments? Especially the one’s directed at the two bandits and the female who kicked one of the bandits.
    Life is ... life. As always bot/cut as necessary.
    DM: "Why do you have so many characters?"
    Me: "Because I never embraced the strategic value of running away."

Fare thee well, N_R ... you will missed!y

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

DrowGirl

I am back in civilization and I have spend some of that 300 gold on potions and oils.

As D&D 5e has a rather limited collection of consumables here are some potions that I have been working on:

Oil of Light (Common): This oil appears similar to lamp oil, but has a blue tint. There is enough oil to cover 4 square feet. Applying the oil takes half a minute. For 1 hour, the coated item or area radiates light duplicating the Light spell.

Potion of Swimming (Common): When you drink this potion, you gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed for 1 hour. During this time, you have advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks you make to swim.

Oil of Buoyancy (Common): This murky oil reeks of the sea and can be poured over the body of one Medium or smaller creature or object. Applying the oil takes 1 minute. Once applied, the object will float in any liquid. This effects lasts for 1 hour.

Potion of Stamina (Rare): Removes one level of exhaustion.

Potion of Mana (Rarity Varies): Restores one spent spell slot. Common - 1st, Uncommon - 2nd, Rare - 3rd, Very Rare - 4th.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

4. - Top - End - #34
    Barbarian in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

If you are making your own potions, I'd like to request a potion of warmth for the party in case anyone starts to suffer hypothermia or frostbite. I just used a ring of warmth but limited to 24 hours.

"For the next 24 hours, you have Resistance to cold damage. In addition, you and everything you wear and carry are unharmed by temperatures as low as -50 degrees Fahrenheit."

Bonus points if it comes in a small keg attached around a St. Bernard's neck.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Izzarra View Post
    I am back in civilization and I have spend some of that 300 gold on potions and oils.

As D&D 5e has a rather limited collection of consumables here are some potions that I have been working on:

Oil of Light (Common): This oil appears similar to lamp oil, but has a blue tint. There is enough oil to cover 4 square feet. Applying the oil takes half a minute. For 1 hour, the coated item or area radiates light duplicating the Light spell.

Potion of Swimming (Common): When you drink this potion, you gain a swimming speed equal to your walking speed for 1 hour. During this time, you have advantage on Strength (Athletics) checks you make to swim.

Oil of Buoyancy (Common): This murky oil reeks of the sea and can be poured over the body of one Medium or smaller creature or object. Applying the oil takes 1 minute. Once applied, the object will float in any liquid. This effects lasts for 1 hour.

Potion of Stamina (Rare): Removes one level of exhaustion.

Potion of Mana (Rarity Varies): Restores one spent spell slot. Common - 1st, Uncommon - 2nd, Rare - 3rd, Very Rare - 4th.
    Light is ok.

Swimming is ok.

Buoyancy is ok.

Stamina is ok.

No on the Potion of Mana.

Quote Originally Posted by Starbin View Post
    Copy that Fell ... quick question - how did the prisoner’s react to Fen Ye’s comments? Especially the one’s directed at the two bandits and the female who kicked one of the bandits.
    They respect your authority... For now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    If you are making your own potions, I'd like to request a potion of warmth for the party in case anyone starts to suffer hypothermia or frostbite. I just used a ring of warmth but limited to 24 hours.

"For the next 24 hours, you have Resistance to cold damage. In addition, you and everything you wear and carry are unharmed by temperatures as low as -50 degrees Fahrenheit."

Bonus points if it comes in a small keg attached around a St. Bernard's neck.
    24 hours is too long for a mere potion. Make it an hour and it will be fine. Let me re-write this.

Potion of Enduring Cold Weather (rare): When you drink this potion, you skin stiffens and warms. For 1 hour you can exist comfortably in temperatures of up to -50 degrees Fahrenheit.
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2020-01-01 at 02:57 PM.
    DMing:

6. - Top - End - #36

DrowGirl

For reference Endure Elements is a first level spell in both Pathfinder and D&D 3.5, not sure why they did not bring it into 5e as a ritual spell.
    "Time is an abstract concept created by carbon-based life-forms to monitor their ongoing decay." - Thunderclese

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

I think they decided not to carry it over to 5E since it subverts many potential dangers that lower level parties may encounter.

At any rate, it is the NEW YEAR! Happy New Year!

Now we can really dive into the campaign!
    Last edited by Felhammer; 2020-01-02 at 12:04 PM.
    DMing:

8. - Top - End - #38

GnomeWizardGuy

Does anyone have any other questions for the captain or roleplaying they want to do here before we start the journey?

It looks like Zhang, Fen and Bai have the best animal handling and perception scores so they should probably rotate the cart driving and scouting ahead.

Maybe we should pair up. Let's say Yue and Zhang, Lin and Fen, and Mia and Bai. 2 scouting, 2 driving, and 2 watching the prisoners, and rotate every day. These pairings were random other than separating Mia and Zhang so the others don't get suspicious of their friendship, and separating the outcast races so they don't feel ostracized.

We could start with Yue and Zhang scouting ahead, Mia and Bai driving, and Lin and Fen watching the prisoners.

I'm just trying to move the story along and am open to other suggestions. I'm fine with any other strategy too. If you all like this, though, I could propose it IC.

9. - Top - End - #39
    Ettin in the Playground

That all works for me

Additionally, how much would the potion of warmth cost? Mia would probably invest in something like that.
    Jophine Dustwallow avatar by Shades of Gray

Spoiler: Other Avatar
    Show

Avatar: Tarina Davenledge, Cleric of Mishakal by Gorgon_Heap

10. - Top - End - #40

DrowGirl

I am ready to move out.
    The scouts should not get too far ahead. Probably stay within shouting distance so that if there is an ambush help will not be too far away.

11. - Top - End - #41
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

Sorry, just got back from holiday and headed out on business, so little time to meaningfully post. I’ll knock a response post out tomorrow...

12. - Top - End - #42

GnomeWizardGuy

I am ready to move out.
    The scouts should not get too far ahead. Probably stay within shouting distance so that if there is an ambush help will not be too far away.
    I was thinking they would stay in sight even. This time of year, bandits shouldn't be a problem, but unsafe road conditions could topple the cart.

13. - Top - End - #43
    Titan in the Playground

Ok, looks like everyone is ready to move out. I will make an IC post later today :)
    DMing:

14. - Top - End - #44
    Ettin in the Playground

Yep, yep. Ready, ready.

Show

15. - Top - End - #45

GnomeWizardGuy

From IC:
    Quote Originally Posted by Felhammer View Post
    As the darkness of night approaches, the party crests a hill and comes to a saddle in the mountain range, where the path opens up to a tiny valley that is perhaps a fifth of a mile round. In the distance, they can see several fires - perhaps campfires - spread out across the vale.
    Are we suspicious of these fires or are they what we expected given our knowledge of the route?

If we expected to find these fires, then I suggest we walk up openly and introduce ourselves, hailing as we approach. If we suspect anything, then maybe Bai and I could sneak up and check them out (or anyone else if they are interested. I can't remember everyone's stealth scores).

16. - Top - End - #46
    Troll in the Playground

I forgot to include the Perception check. Bai isn't looking for food exactly... more like signs of people drinking .

Perception - (1d20+6)[24]

17. - Top - End - #47

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.Samurai View Post
    I forgot to include the Perception check. Bai isn't looking for food exactly... more like signs of people drinking .

Perception - [roll0]
    looks like he's pretty good at finding people drinking

18. - Top - End - #48
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthewizard View Post
    From IC:

Are we suspicious of these fires or are they what we expected given our knowledge of the route?

If we expected to find these fires, then I suggest we walk up openly and introduce ourselves, hailing as we approach. If we suspect anything, then maybe Bai and I could sneak up and check them out (or anyone else if they are interested. I can't remember everyone's stealth scores).
    It is not unexpected to encounter other travelers on this route. It is a bit strange to see so many traveling when the weather is this poor.
    DMing:

19. - Top - End - #49
    Titan in the Playground

Perception - [roll0]
    From your vantage point, you can definitely tell that the nearer fires have people drinking and eating at them.
    DMing:

20. - Top - End - #50
    Troll in the Playground

From your vantage point, you can definitely tell that the nearer fires have people drinking and eating at them.
    Apologies for the double post in IC but I wanted to mention the food and drink.

EDIT:

I got the phrase "yare yare" from Shunsui Kyoraku in the anime Bleach. It translates to something like "good grief". But since I can't find a video of him saying it, I got this supercut of some character from another anime I've never watched that also says it lol, just to give an idea (note that Bai's voice is not this deep!): yare yare
    Last edited by Dr.Samurai; 2020-01-07 at 06:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Titan in the Playground

Involved in a lot of meetings today. Will update when I get a free minute :)
    DMing:

22. - Top - End - #52
    Ettin in the Playground

Sorry, something's been wrong with my home internet for the past few days. Apparently weather related.

I'm at work tonight so I'll come up with a post and hope my internet gets better at home.

Show

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

Sorry for the delay in posting! Yesterday was a long, hard day
    DMing:

24. - Top - End - #54
    Troll in the Playground

I had my first beer when I was 25 and didn't like it. Needless to say, I don't have much experience being drunk. Bai may go through several iterations before I nail down this drunken master bit .

Right now though I think he feels a little shame in front of his own kind.

25. - Top - End - #55

GnomeWizardGuy

I had my first beer when I was 25 and didn't like it. Needless to say, I don't have much experience being drunk. Bai may go through several iterations before I nail down this drunken master bit .

Right now though I think he feels a little shame in front of his own kind.
    I'm not admitting that I have much experience with being drunk, but you're doing great.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Titan in the Playground

Spoiler: Knowledge History
    Show

Lin Luoyang(1d20)[7]
    Zhang Yong(1d20)[10]
    Yue(1d20)[15]
    Mia Shao(1d20)[4]
    Fēn Yě(1d20)[8]
    Bai Yong(1d20)[8] Automatic Success

Spoiler: DC 12
    Show
    You know that the Kingdom of Aozora was thevanara kingdom furthest from Hong Long. It was the oldest and most mysterious of the many kingdoms. It was a Diarchy lead by a King and a Queen, both of whom who came from two different royal families. Aozora was the third kingdom to fall, almost all of its inhabitants were believed to have been murdered.

DMing:

27. - Top - End - #57

GnomeWizardGuy

Well, crap. I forgot that we had a Vanara prisoner. Looks like someone should probably separate her from the others and interrogate her. Fen or Lin?

Obviously other than Bai we don't know who she might be, but Zhang would be willing to trade her freedom for a warm fire and some food if everyone else wants to.

28. - Top - End - #58

DrowGirl

He motions for a vanara wrapped in blankets to come forward. The elderly man pulls back the blanket, revealing an ape man whose nose and ears have been sawed off with a jagged knife.
    Are these recent wounds that could benefit from Cure Wounds or are they already healed over.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Titan in the Playground

ClericGuy

First off, I love that we all are thinking, ‘Let’s keep a low profile’ and the first thing Bai does is say “We got prisoners!” Classic!

Second, @Bobthewizard - At this point, is there an in character reason to interrogate the vanara prisoner? Until Bai and Yue come back, we don’t know anything about the ‘misunderstanding’ ... Unless it would makes sense from a campaign background.

This is part of why I’m doing the insight check - to see if we get anything from the prisoner’s nonverbals.

30. - Top - End - #60
    Titan in the Playground

Are these recent wounds that could benefit from Cure Wounds or are they already healed over.

Recent enough to be horrifying, distant enough so that cure spells will not fix the issue.
    DMing: