Default Re: (OOC) New Bedford by Night II

10 Again for Prophetic Dream.

(1d10)[4]
    "Even in these chains, you can't stop me!" - In This Moment, Big Bad Wolf

2. - Top - End - #122
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Okay, let the tallying begin, and again, my apologies for the delay in this post. Fortunately, this only goes back to April, so I have less leg work to do.

The plan will be for each player to get a single interlude scene, just to get back into their character and explore something not specific to the main plot, before doing some dice rolls and starting the final scene of this Three Act Story.

For my own sanity, I am only going to give XP out to "active players", and will catch myself up on anyone who just so happens to return (not that I'm too optimistic about this at this point).

Bear: Gets 1 beat for finishing the scene. 1 beat for the group's planning for the fight against the plague spirit. Gave bear a beats already for developing a relationship with Immovable Hunter (and for battlestar galactica). But I never gave him one for completing the task, so he gets a beat there. Bear and Kara get an additional beat for investigating the nursery and the lavender. That brings Bear to 1 beats and 6 xp.

Blaze: Gets 1 beat for finishing the scene. 1 beat for the group's planning for the fight against the plague spirit. Blaze gets an additional beat for convincing King Sky Hunter. That puts Blaze at 3 beats and 3 xp.

Kara: Gets 1 beat for finishing the scene. 1 beat for the group's planning for the fight against the plague spirit. Bear and Kara get an additional beat for investigating the nursery and the lavender. That puts Kara at 2 beats and 3 xp.

@All: As always, please let me know if I missed something. Let me know if you are changing any Aspirations, and let me know if you are spending any XP.

Of course I wait this long to realize I need to ask everyone what they want to do with their interlude scenes, but I'll throw out a couple for everyone. And of course the below are just suggestions in case you can't think of something.

Bear: It's time for Ciara to go to the OB! Check in with the Bear spirit before the final showdown. Investigate the gang activity. Start a meadery (as you previously mentioned).

Blaze: Perform the rite of supplication for King Sky Hunter. Check in with his new computer spirit. Finish reshaping the death locus. Perhaps convince Michael to train for the hunt in some way.

Kara: Finalize a mortal/flesh based Touchstone. Finish writing her song or bring said song to the band. Have her meet with The Reveler to get to know it better, or fulfill her oath to it.

Anyone: Check on Pequad of all things. Check in with a wolf blooded character. Fulfill your oath to The Reveler. Check in on the gang activity. Hunt some Beshilu. Bake a cake!?
    Spoiler: Games I am Currently Running
    Show
    San Francisco by Night (Vampire the Requiem 2E)

New Bedford by Night (Werewolf the Forsaken 2E)

New Orleans by Night (Changeling the Lost 2E)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Okay, so, I think I'll spend some of this xp...

- 1 additional point of purity. (3 xp) I've done several of the example actions for it since the game started, including killing someone for the sake of the secret. This unlocks warrior's hide, adding my purity to my health.
    - 1 additional merit to tactical shifting (1 xp) This unlocks fluid movement, allowing for the option to reduce my size in order to temporarily improve defense in response to incoming attacks. Ought to come in handy when tanking things like obliterates.

In regards to interlude. Meadery is for later, doesn't make sense to be making moves for it at this time. I think the gang activity would be best done with at least one other person there, especially since his face in gang territory just might provoke a response. Could check in with the bear spirit, but that seems like it would be pretty short? Same with the obgyn, could be amusing but it doesn't seem likely to last.

What about finally making use of Bear's taming talents? I could add up to two predatory animals to the pack. Perhaps I could try and convince a few birds to join up? They could help act as our eyes throughout the territory? Looks like bald eagles and a variety of owls are commonly seen there. Bond a bald eagle and a great horned owl, and we could have a scout day and night.
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-
    Guides, tables, and other useful tools for 5E D&D

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Blaze is going to do the supplication rite and also focus on purifying the death locus. He can bring michael along for both if he is interested
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

5. - Top - End - #125
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@Daishain: I think those expenditures make sense. I will take 4 xp off of your character box. Go ahead and update your character sheet. If what you want is to go for some animal taming then we can do that (though that's likely just as short as anything else... like I'm not sure to make it much more than a roll or two, so if you have something in mind let me know). I would honestly say the OB visit could have the most weight, but I'm easy.

@TC: I'd honestly say Blaze only has time for one, as he never got around to collecting the neccessary items for the supplication right.

Again, sorry for the delay everyone!
    Show

6. - Top - End - #126
    Titan in the Playground

Alright we’ll do supplication the. To make sure king sky hunter fights extra hard.
    TC for short

"I like the sense of chaos this game provides. OOC, I like that I cannot know every available avenue, but that I can pursue whatever avenue I so choose. IC, I like that what I am doing has consequences. It's very very real." --Noedig

7. - Top - End - #127
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@TC: While I'm waiting for Daishain to reply, I'm happy to come up with something on my own, but as per our prior discussion, how do you want to go about the right?

Per the text, the performer of the ritual leaves physical anchors specific to their target all over the territory to strengthen the resonance specific to that kind of spirit. So for a hunting spirit maybe nets and fishing hooks, or for a bird maybe feather and nests. You could even add some punk rock aspects, though ultimately this is all flavor, so it is ultimately up to you as to how you want the ritual to look
    Show

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

If the taming is mostly going to just be a couple of rolls, then perhaps the OB visit in the morning, and taming that afternoon?
    "No man is an island, entire of itself, every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main... Any man's death diminishes me because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee." -John Donne-

9. - Top - End - #129
    Titan in the Playground

I’ll take the auto succeed, will make an ic post about it.. what instrument does michael play?
    Last edited by Thundercracker; 2020-06-16 at 11:05 AM.
    TC for short

10. - Top - End - #130
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I believe he’s guitar
    Show

11. - Top - End - #131
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Okay, so before I move things on to the last scene or two of this story, I want to check in with you guys.

At this time we have two active players. I want to give Erulasto the benefit of the doubt and assume he will be coming back, but I can't say for certain, and I don't know when this might be. We can talk about what we may do with the game at the conclusion of this story, but I want to know how you two want to proceed with the final scenes of this game given the number of players.

The easiest will be for me to NPC and roll for the still living characters, currently Kara, Solomon and Michael, but that means there are fewer active PCs than their NPC companions. Alternatively, since Michael's role can be mostly done off screen, I could alternatively have each of you take on a second character as well, giving the players more agency in this scene. A third option would be of course to wait and see if anyone comes back, or to alternatively recruit more players before proceeding, though this is the less ideal option in my mind.

Along with letting me know your thoughts on this, do you want to have one more group huddle, or should we start the last scene with rolls for preparation and jumping right into the action?
    Show

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

I’m not nearly confident enough to control two characters.

My vote is for npc’ing the missing players’ characters.
    TC for short

13. - Top - End - #133
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I would likewise prefer NPCing the absentees for the time being.

In the longer run, I think we need to fill out the group somehow. Rather than new characters though, perhaps we might see if someone is willing to take over the existing ones? Player takes over Kara or Solomon, and can make a few tweaks to suit them without changing the major details. It doesn't seem like its healthy for an uratha pack to have too much turnover

P.S. How do you want to handle the taming mentioned?

14. - Top - End - #134
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Sounds fair. For what it is worth, Erulasto may be coming back soon. That said, I don't know how many players would be interested in taking over new characters. I am happy to fast forward things after this act though to allow for "new recruits" to either be brought in from outside, or found in New Bedford over time, if players would prefer that. I also think a healthy degree of turnover is expected as a result of a battle with a Plague God.

Regardless, this will definitely be a priority. All things said and done, I've had a real tough time recruiting players to fill in on games (Changeling specifically, despite it is like the most popular CofD game ATM), so if you know any reliable players who may be interested, feel free to PM them or send them my way, as I would much prefer to bring in a seasoned and reliable player than someone who will jump ship after a week of posting.

Again, apologies for the delay in posting and thank you always for playing and for the patience with me.

P.S. How do you want to handle the taming mentioned?
    Honestly, I kind of foresaw moving onto the final battle now... though perhaps it may be in my interest to stall things and see if Erulasto comes back, to have more players making their own rolls, so that I am not rolling for Michael, Solomon, Kara, The Plague Spirit, The Beshilu, King Sky Hunter, Immovable Hunter, and The Reveler (did I forget anyone?) while only two players remain active...

Furthermore, the PCs can do as much prep as they want, there is no hard date that the final scene must take part on (unless the players want to line up their final attack with a specific cycle with the moon). So, I also see no reason we can't allow the players more personal scenes.

So, not to stall this game out further. I've prepped an IC post to begin the final Scene, which starts with some dice rolling; I have it sitting in a word document, and can post it ASAP. But, if both active players want more time to accomplish more things, such as stabilizing the death locus, ect... let me know, and I will table that post in favor of scenes not targeted to the main plot. I won't post till both players have responded.
    Show

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Purifying the death locus will continue but it doesn’t really have an effect on the battle right, so we can do it before or after it’s done.

Is there anything Blaze can do to fortify the Hisil on the other side of the flower nursery to make it harder for the plague lord to escape, or even turn the essence there hostile to it?
    TC for short

16. - Top - End - #136
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

You are correct, it can happen before or after, it was a suggestion for something Blaze could do, if you and Daishain want to hold off on starting the final scene, either because you want to get things done, or because you want to see if Erulasto shows up.

In regards to fortifying the Hisil, the best thing he can do is set up the ruins he's gathered from the warehouse, and from the crazed Uratha's Den, which was going to be the opening part of the last scene. I was going to start with a few rolls to determine thing such as: How well fortified is the trap, how well hidden is the trap, how much "Bane Juice" do the Uratha have on hand ect.

Again, these were going to be rolls up to various players depending on how they were getting involved in the fight.
    Show

17. - Top - End - #137
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

I am not at all opposed to delaying things a bit for Erulasto's sake, it really would be a shame if they came back at the tail end of our climax or afterwards. Is there any kind of ETA on that?

It also doesn't make much sense to rush into this fight, we can easily spend another day doing nothing but double checking the preparations. Probably also a good idea to look into the gang thing, at least enough to be sure they're not going to complicate issues.

18. - Top - End - #138
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Okay, then alternate IC post coming up now. I have no idea how long Erulasto is going to need unfortunately. His wording was "soon", but I'm sure he has a lot going on.
    Show

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

To keep things the most simple, I am going to roll 10 agains for Bear's research here: (4d10)[3][7][8][5](23)

And then any additional dice bonus to his "hunt" as a result of the research here:

(4d10)[4][9][10][7](30)
    Show

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Welp, in case the bird sticks around to continue being serenaded...

attempt 3 (6d10)[9][1][5][4][10][9](38)
    attempt 4 (6d10)[2][3][8][4][10][6](33)
    ten again (6d10)[4][3][5][3][5][7](27)

and there we go. If it does stick around, the effect sticks after 3 points of essence and 90 minutes of haggling with a bird
    Last edited by Daishain; 2020-06-30 at 08:06 PM.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

And don't forget the point of WP as well . Updating your character box now.
    Show

22. - Top - End - #142
    Titan in the Playground

Honestly dunno what to do next..
    TC for short

23. - Top - End - #143
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I think the things I can think of would be: checking in with his computer spirit touchstone, not sure if he ever spent the time to replant the tannis roots as promised, perhaps we could endeavor a scene to develop Blaze's Flesh Touchstone, something we still need to accomplish?

EDIT: Also, as Daishain mentioned, the Pack could probably do with trying to uncover and claim more locuses for their territory.
    Last edited by Bennosuke; 2020-07-04 at 10:49 AM.
    Show

24. - Top - End - #144
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bennosuke View Post
    I think the things I can think of would be: checking in with his computer spirit touchstone, not sure if he ever spent the time to replant the tannis roots as promised, perhaps we could endeavor a scene to develop Blaze's Flesh Touchstone, something we still need to accomplish?

EDIT: Also, as Daishain mentioned, the Pack could probably do with trying to uncover and claim more locuses for their territory.
    We said Blaze didn't have time for the Tanis root but yes, will do that if there's time.
    TC for short

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I guess we are kind of pushing things back to see if Erulasto will come back. I just emailed him, though I suggest maybe we cut to the chase soon if we aren't hearing things. So I'd say Blaze has time to deal with the Tannis root.

I think i could make a small scene out of it if you would be interested in doing more than just a roll.
    Show

26. - Top - End - #146
    Titan in the Playground

I guess we are kind of pushing things back to see if Erulasto will come back. I just emailed him, though I suggest maybe we cut to the chase soon if we aren't hearing things. So I'd say Blaze has time to deal with the Tannis root.

I think i could make a small scene out of it if you would be interested in doing more than just a roll.
    Yeah we can do that. How do we go about finding a locus?
    TC for short

27. - Top - End - #147
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

I would assume an Uratha would do this by tracking Essence and spirits. Loci are areas created by a ton of Essence that was allowed to collect before feeding on it. This can sometimes happen if something terribly dramatic happens in the Flesh; like say a major personal tragedy or perhaps a mass suicide... for example, but could just as easily happen from say a forest fire (hint hint). An Uratha could find a Locus essentially by following the paths of Essence and the spirits that follow those paths to the wellsprings of a locus. I would consider it an extended action of Resolve + Occult in the Hisil vs. Wits + Survival in the Flesh, with a goal number of successes dependent on what type of Essence the Uratha was looking to hunt (ie a murder locus may be easy to find in an urban environment, while a nature locus would be best in the forest)

I'd say we can resolve this both mechanically and with some RP, depending on what you want to do.
    Show

28. - Top - End - #148
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

In case you missed it in the Discord, should I just go ahead and start a recruitment thread???
    Show

29. - Top - End - #149
    Titan in the Playground

In case you missed it in the Discord, should I just go ahead and start a recruitment thread???
    Yes I think that's a good idea.
    TC for short

30. - Top - End - #150
    Titan in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

For what it's worth, I replied via Discord.
    Show