New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 38 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202136 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Thrown for a Loup

I'm fine with it fixed, but I don't understand why (or how, other than 'Zimmy fixed it... somehow') this is where it gets resolved. I mean, was this tiny bit of them fighting over their mother the emotional conflict that defines their differences, and was this supposed to be the catharsis?

2. - Top - End - #302
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I'm fine with it fixed, but I don't understand why (or how, other than 'Zimmy fixed it... somehow') this is where it gets resolved. I mean, was this tiny bit of them fighting over their mother the emotional conflict that defines their differences, and was this supposed to be the catharsis?
    That's the bit that sort of leaves me wondering. Is it temporary? Is this an illusion? Or are we going to see merged with both viewpoints and she'll come out the other side better able to understand conflicting points of view? Will she 'feel' both of the things she felt before? Fixed is fine, resolved... still needs resolving.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Orc in the Playground

Yeah, I can't help but feel that we were "out of the room" when Annie's catharsis supposedly happened. We were off learning more about Zimmy while the two Annies confronted each-other about their mother, and that was an odd choice for Tom to make. But Tom likes to make chapters a certain size, and getting into Annie's catharsis so far into this one would have forced it to split over chapters. He could be planning to end this chapter and use Annie explaining the catharsis to someone (Renard and/or Kat) as a way to flashback to it and use it as the center of its own chapter.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

4. - Top - End - #304
    Titan in the Playground

The slow pace of the webcomic format exacerbates issues of pacing or storytelling.

(See, when Annie's deadbeat dad returned... it wasn't that many pages until things resolved a little, but the "three pages a week" pace made it excruciating.)

Right now, I don't like this sudden "one Annie again".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post

Agreed. It really does feel like the wrong time, place and method. I mean, it feels kinda of off that Zimmy would be the one to fix it when she was completely unrelated to the problem in the first place. And feels even more off that this all happened in a chapter that wasn't even about Annie

I think what would have made it work is if The two annie's and their internal conflict was the focus. The two of them hash out their internal conflict with each annie taking a different side, they resolve the internal struggle thus becoming of one mind on their issues, and THEN zimmy's powers fuses them together. Still odd that Zimmy's the one that solves the problem, but atleast then the timing and place would make sense

6. - Top - End - #306
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

...Man, it wasn't until reading this forum I realized that Annie's two selves had been combined??? (I haven't watched Dragon Ball so the hint about the clothes was lost on me.)

Yeah, it does feel like something was... not ideal about the pacing of that resolution. And if this truly is the end of the two Annies thing (not that it necessarily is! The author isn't exactly shy about bringing back old things and making them super-relevant again!), I'm gonna agree with the folks saying that it really didn't seem to amount to a whole lot, huh?

7. - Top - End - #307
    Titan in the Playground

I hope we get something that goes over how this happened or what happened or something...

Right now this comes across as "writer was over the whole thing, time to move on".
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Barbarian in the Playground

I love Jones.

9. - Top - End - #309

GnomePirate

Huh. Same here.

I remember being disappointed by the last chapter, thinking "It seemed like important things were leading to a climax, and then in the end nothing happened and everyone just walked away?"

And now it turns out the two Annies were re-combined? I didn't even notice.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ogre in the Playground

Panel 4 looks a lot like what an author would draw if someone was trying to hide something.

11. - Top - End - #311

I don't think this is over. Not by a long shot.

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ogre in the Playground

Did Jones... Go over there to hook up with Anthony? That's Kornaki's Long Shot Webcomic Call of the Day.

She was just making small talk to distract Antimony from asking why she was there.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2021-03-20 at 06:23 AM.

13. - Top - End - #313

BlueWizardGirl

Panel one of Friday's looks like Annie is going into panic mode at the idea of discussing what happened.

Just remember, denial is one of Annie's coping mechanisms. Nothing is wrong if she doesn't admit it's wrong.

My interpretation of Friday's last panel is that Tony thinks something is wrong. He told Jones. Jones feels she has confirmed his worries are valid.

Yes, Tony is a bad father. But, despite being absolutely, mind-numbingly horrible at being a father, he cares. And he knows something is wrong.

I'm guessing Annie's "confidence" and increased firepower are actually bad things. Again, Annie pretends everything is all right when it isn't. "Confidence" may really mean "denial cranked up by a power of ten that anything is wrong."

Increased firepower may mean that Annie is two people instead of being successfully merged into one. She has more power because it's the power of two people trapped together.

Ideas how this may work out:

1) Annie is at the beginning of whatever Zimmy started to help her. She will truly merge when she works out some of her issues instead of pretending they aren't there.

2) Annie is at the beginning, but this is just a between step. When she works out those issues, she'll switch back to two people.

3) Zimmy, who hasn't won any awards for her social skills, goofed. This isn't working the way she thought it would.

Side benefit: This may give an insight into how Loup, who is also a combined being, can be dealt with.

14. - Top - End - #314
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Did Jones... Go over there to hook up with Anthony? That's Kornaki's Long Shot Webcomic Call of the Day.
    Based on today's strip, if that's not the case, then Tom is doing his level best to throw us a red herring.

15. - Top - End - #315
    Troll in the Playground

Harsh and somewhat inaccurate assessment of Tony's observational skills. Correct view of his parental abilities.

16. - Top - End - #316
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Who would have thought Cvet and Paz regularly hang out and swap juicy gossip.

Meta point: this is how Jones will be caught up with all the stuff we readers already know so Tom doesn't have to spend more pages doing that.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

17. - Top - End - #317

Jones knows that Cvet totally likes to gossip.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

18. - Top - End - #318
    Ogre in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Iruka View Post
    Jones knows that Cvet totally likes to gossip.
    I have a mental image of the Court's Shadow Men constantly using Cvet as an information source.

19. - Top - End - #319

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Did Jones... Go over there to hook up with Anthony?
    Jimmy Jims would explode.

20. - Top - End - #320
    Firbolg in the Playground

Maybe someone already noticed, but it's funny how there were one Annie and two gods in the forest, and then there suddenly were two Annies and just one god.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

21. - Top - End - #321

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    Maybe someone already noticed, but it's funny how there were one Annie and two gods in the forest, and then there suddenly were two Annies and just one god.
    Good observation.

22. - Top - End - #322
    Halfling in the Playground

WolfInSheepsClothing

I wonder if we'll find out when we next see Loup that what he did to get two Annie's was trivially easy to do and undo by breaking them like a chocolate bar over a point of inner contention. The fact it could be fixed by coming to terms with herself would be like a joke when she demanded he fix it and it turned out she could have done it all along. It seems like the subtle sort of trick Coyote would pull.

But the joke is that Loup didn't think she would be able to recombine but because Loup is part Ysengrin now the joke has fallen flat and is now on him.

23. - Top - End - #323

Why does Jones want to "psychologically evaluate" Annie?

24. - Top - End - #324

Maybe she's worried she could be a third Annie (both Annies were shifted, if I recall correctly). Or maybe it's because she now has a powerful weapon at her disposal.
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

25. - Top - End - #325
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Maybe she's worried she could be a third Annie (both Annies were shifted, if I recall correctly).
    Both were shifted, but NEITHER is the correct Annie.

Or maybe it's because she now has a powerful weapon at her disposal.
    Well, that and she has the experiences of effectively two different people. The months of Forest Annie merged with the months of Court Annie. That could lead to identity issues.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

26. - Top - End - #326

Maybe she's worried she could be a third Annie (both Annies were shifted, if I recall correctly).
    That could be.

Or maybe it's because she now has a powerful weapon at her disposal.
    But what would Jones need an Annie-strength weapon for, given how powerful she is?

27. - Top - End - #327

PirateCaptain

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    But what would Jones need an Annie-strength weapon for, given how powerful she is?
    There are reasons not to want a mentally unstable person to have a powerful weapon besides wanting it for yourself.

28. - Top - End - #328
    Titan in the Playground

Maybe Jones and some others are just legitimately concerned?

29. - Top - End - #329

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    I meant that Annie has a weapon, and she's very young, so it's best if she gets some psychological exam and/or support.

How did forest Annie behave towards Eglamore? I noticed that Annie's dad acts distant towards short-haired Annie, who acted disdainfully towards Eglamore.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Maybe Jones and some others are just legitimately concerned?
    Someone suddenly has two instances of them, and then suddenly becomes one again. The Court probably wants a full analysis, and Jones is both the most qualified to handle this and to handle Annie specifically.
    This is probably treating the situation a bit too calmly, even.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-04-08 at 09:22 PM.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad