New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 17 of 38 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #481
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Thrown for a Loup

To be fair, if Coyote was not still a coherent force, it MIGHT have worked.

Shell is thinking things over.

2. - Top - End - #482
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    To paraphrase Coyote, "It's a pity that Loup is less than the sum of his parts". He's less interesting than Isengrim, who had his own troubles and was dangerous but, in certain ways, admirable, and also was important to Annie (aka the Main Character) as a teacher. Loup is also less interesting than Coyote, who actually knew what he was doing, shared very little, and again had an important relationship with Annie.

More importantly, Loup isn't really his own character (yet). He's a pawn of Coyote. He's trapped in schemes he cannot understand, and, at the same time, he's too unhinged to harbour any shred of mystery.

Bizarrely enough, this would make him a decent main character in a tragedy. However, he isn't; he's supposed to be an antagonist, but he's really more of a reliably bitter force of nature, who's been pulling off the same moves over and over (attack the court, forcibly move the forest creatures). Even doubling Annie (quite original, I must admit) didn't lead anywhere.*

In a situation like this, the "good" characters should be pulling the weight of the plot (inner conflict, that sort of thing), but I don't see it happening. You know, for example, massive conflict against the shadow men as Loup convulses in devastation until he self-destroys.

*but why did he do it? Was there ever an explanation? Because a Coyotesque decomposition into "the true Annie, the Annie other see, the Annie Annie sees" would at least have had a clear origin. "Hey, little miss Know-It-All, do you remember that time when...?"
    All of this is true, but I'd also like to offer that Loup is also less than the sum of his parts from a pure character design perspective. Like, every time I look at his introduction panel, I don't think "Ah, that is a perfect balance between the fluid impossibility of Coyote and the raw, destructive presence of Ysengrin". I think "You took two perfectly good characters and traded them for a Pokemon is what you did".

3. - Top - End - #483
    Dwarf in the Playground

HalfOrcPirate

That said, a possible topic of conversation/speculation: Any thoughts on who/what "Omega" might be? It's mentioned in today's comic and also in these comics. And I think maybe this was the first mention?

From these snippets, a few noteworthy things:

1.) It's a "device". Robot? Machine? Something Beyond Mortal Ken But Still Manmade Somehow?
    2.) Anthony doesn't seem thrilled about it, but whether it's about the device itself or just the necessity of him working on it, is unclear.
    3.) Mr. Donlan was uneasy when Anthony started to talk about it - Anthony clearly thought he was worried about Court surveillance, but most likely he didn't want Antimony hearing too many details. Also: Mr. Donlan knows about it.
    4.) It's important enough that both Loup and Zimmy had big ol' back-to-back splash pages acknowledging its existence.
    5.) The Shadow Men seem to be involved with it - and based on Shell's comment of "But Omega said...", they can either talk to it or at least get calculations from it. Calculations on the precise mechanics of stealing godhood, specifically.

(Sidenote: While wiki-diving to get info, I realized that the last panel of this comic was our first look at Shell. I know the art style has shifted over time but man I would not have pegged that as being the same character we're seeing now!)

I don't have any particularly interesting insights just yet, but figured laying out the data could help get the speculation gears turning?
    Last edited by DaFlipp; 2021-10-27 at 10:58 AM.

4. - Top - End - #484
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DaFlipp View Post
    and based on Shell's comment of "But Omega said...", they can either talk to it or at least get calculations from it. Calculations on the precise mechanics of stealing godhood, specifically.
    Another possibility is that there's several different but related Omegas. I mean, diesel engines are named after Rudolf Diesel, morse code is named after Samuel Morse, braille writing is named after Louis Braille, and so on. There's the Brannock device invented by Charles Brannock and the Odon device invented by Jorge Odon. Why couldn't the Omega Device be the pet project of someone referred to as Omega?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

5. - Top - End - #485
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Another possibility is that there's several different but related Omegas. I mean, diesel engines are named after Rudolf Diesel, morse code is named after Samuel Morse, braille writing is named after Louis Braille, and so on. There's the Brannock device invented by Charles Brannock and the Odon device invented by Jorge Odon. Why couldn't the Omega Device be the pet project of someone referred to as Omega?
    It wouldn't be a human name because it's the name of the last greek letter, and thus means Ultimate or Final.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

6. - Top - End - #486
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by halfeye View Post
    It wouldn't be a human name because it's the name of the last greek letter, and thus means Ultimate or Final.
    True, but isn't Zimmy's full name Zeta?

7. - Top - End - #487
    Bugbear in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    Yes, we already have Gamma and Zeta. So Omega could be some person's name.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

8. - Top - End - #488

Quote Originally Posted by PhantomFox View Post
    The robots called her "Subject Zeta," but when did we hear that was her "full" name?

9. - Top - End - #489
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

My reaction to the new page:

"It's a bold strategy, Cotton; let's see if it pays off for them!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

10. - Top - End - #490

People can have weird names in fiction (remember our heroine is named Antimony?), especially when we're talking about secret societies where people may be referred to as something else than what's on their state-issued ID card.

11. - Top - End - #491
    Troll in the Playground

Ah yes, when you've completely screwed up, don't try to fix your mistakes, just move somewhere else and leave all your problems behind.

[sarcasm]That ALWAYS works.[/sarcasm]

12. - Top - End - #492
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by eee View Post
    Ah yes, when you've completely screwed up, don't try to fix your mistakes, just move somewhere else and leave all your problems behind.

[sarcasm]That ALWAYS works.[/sarcasm]
    I mean, it worked for them once before already...
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

13. - Top - End - #493
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

I am mostly confused that she said ALL the humans of the Court would be moving. What about those that wouldn't want to?

14. - Top - End - #494

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    I am mostly confused that she said ALL the humans of the Court would be moving. What about those that wouldn't want to?
    Given the state the Court is in?

After Loup's first attack it was basically like living in a war zone, with areas that are still safe, areas that are completely ruined, and in-between, areas that are mostly intact but potentially dangerous. They've lived through this for a while, and it's not a funny way to live.

Now it's simpler. The Court is not just in ruins, it's completely leveled. There is no Court anymore. And it's not like rebuilding is a realistic prospect as long as Loup is still around.

The choice has been taken out of their hand.

Now to be fair there is kind of one exception we can see: Annie herself. And maybe a few of her friends will want to stay with her.

15. - Top - End - #495
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    The way the Court has been shown to operate?

Choice is not an option.

16. - Top - End - #496
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I used to work with someone called Alpha; I was friends with someone with a family name of Eighteen. You'd be amazed what you can get in names.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

17. - Top - End - #497
    Ettin in the Playground

Griffon

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    I used to work with someone called Alpha; I was friends with someone with a family name of Eighteen. You'd be amazed what you can get in names.
    Yeah, some parents shouldn't have been allowed naming privileges.
    The end of what Son? The story? There is no end. There's just the point where the storytellers stop talking.

18. - Top - End - #498
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

IIRC, there are 36 people currently named "," or "Comma" in the United States. And one "Semicolon".
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

19. - Top - End - #499
    Orc in the Playground

When I was growing up in the early 80's there was someone in the local phone book named "Void, Null". My friends and I debated if it was an actual person or some kind of glitch so we eventually tried calling the number and someone answered, we freaked and hung up.

In other news, who the heck is "this guy!"? Have we seen this before, I'd think I'd remember that face...
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

20. - Top - End - #500
    Bugbear in the Playground

Time for a SpongeBob crossover!
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

21. - Top - End - #501

So, uh, who is "this guy?"

22. - Top - End - #502
    Barbarian in the Playground

23. - Top - End - #503
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    So, uh, who is "this guy?"
    Eglamore has really let himself go...

24. - Top - End - #504

Spoiler
    Show
    So this other person is one of the robots with a new body.

25. - Top - End - #505
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    Spoiler
    Show
    So this other person is one of the robots with a new body.
    Both of them, I think.
    Optimization Trophies

26. - Top - End - #506

And they sound as creepy as one could expect, at least to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

27. - Top - End - #507
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

And apparantly, a Dover Demon is a real thing. Well, as real as a cryptid is, at any rate. He's a long way from Massachusetts...

Mind you, so was Coyote...
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

28. - Top - End - #508

And apparantly, a Dover Demon is a real thing. Well, as real as a cryptid is, at any rate. He's a long way from Massachusetts...

Mind you, so was Coyote...
    A strange animal with long, slender legs, on top of a wall, with glowing orange eyes, after dusk? That sounds a lot like an owl to me. Maybe carrying dead possum to explain for the arms and fingers (actually the tail and legs of the prey) and the bulbous lower face (the possum's body). Seen from below, in the dark, it would be a really odd moving shape.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

29. - Top - End - #509
    Ogre in the Playground

My guess

Spoiler
    Show
    They're digging out the CPU units so kat can give the martyrs of the court new bodies. Very cool.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2021-11-29 at 06:14 PM.

30. - Top - End - #510
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    My guess

Spoiler
    Show
    They're digging out the CPU units so kat can give the martyrs of the court new bodies. Very cool.
    Sounds about right
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad