New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 18 of 38 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #511
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Thrown for a Loup

Ah, it's the pipe bot.

2. - Top - End - #512
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

Calling it now, our redheaded book-sorter was/is Boxbot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

3. - Top - End - #513
    Bugbear in the Playground

I hope Lana meets Red.

"Children grow up to be people? All the children I knew grew up to be machines."
    ~Augustus von Fabelrath~
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Somebody should have that sigged.
    Member of Peelee's Church of Sudden Skylight

4. - Top - End - #514
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    Calling it now, our redheaded book-sorter was/is Boxbot.
    That's be actually pretty funny, hoping for that.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

5. - Top - End - #515
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Um... Shell has eggs on her skirt?
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

6. - Top - End - #516
    Firbolg in the Playground

Looks like fried eggs.

But what the heck, who is she?
    Quote Originally Posted by Midnight Roamer View Post
    I think he did the only morally acceptable thing by killing everyone.
    Hark! An avatar drawn by Kate Beaton!

7. - Top - End - #517
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Gez View Post
    Yet another Convert.

New body, who dis?
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

8. - Top - End - #518
    Titan in the Playground

Isn't that the "shadowman" from the last arc, who stayed loyal to Atta even after he was exposed using "magic"?
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

9. - Top - End - #519
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Looks like fried eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    Yet another Convert.

New body, who dis?
    I admit that I had to look it up, but she's Aata's "friend" - last seen here (4 pages), and (I think) first seen in the sequence starting here, and the relationship hets exposed in the strips starting here, here and here.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

10. - Top - End - #520

Oh right. Her. Just without her distinctive uniform, I guess she got kicked out -- or left.

11. - Top - End - #521
    Troll in the Playground

Oh right. Her. Just without her distinctive uniform, I guess she got kicked out -- or left.
    Or maybe she doesn't wear the uniform when not on duty?
    Jasnah avatar by Zea Mays

12. - Top - End - #522
    Orc in the Playground

Right, that's Aata's chief minion, and she doesn't look at all happy with what's going on here. Kat's operation to give the robots new bodies has probably flown under the Courts radar until now. they've been busy trying to relocate, it'll be very interesting to see what Shell (and probably Aata's) reaction to this is going to be. Shell said all the Court's humans were going to leave, they seem to think very little of the robots so likely were not planning on moving them, but now that the robots have human bodies things are going to get complicated. They are not of the Court, really, and they aren't of the forest, though it seems a convergence is inevitable at this point. Probably that was Coyotes plan all along.
    This post hand crafted by a synapse cluster which also processes nuts, shellfish, alcohol, sarcasm, gluten, puns, MSG, caffeine, ennui, grains, tree pollen, abstract logic, GMO, petroleum byproducts, webcomics, 70's-80's sitcom theme music, pet dander, dubstep and EDM, aspartame, every Monty Python episode and movie, MCU, DCU, asbestos, sugar, LotR, ST, SW, PotC, lead, discworld, electric swing, latex, and Disney IPs as well as other controlled substances. Consume at your own risk.

13. - Top - End - #523
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zazu Yen View Post
    Right, that's Aata's chief minion, and she doesn't look at all happy with what's going on here. Kat's operation to give the robots new bodies has probably flown under the Courts radar until now. they've been busy trying to relocate, it'll be very interesting to see what Shell (and probably Aata's) reaction to this is going to be. Shell said all the Court's humans were going to leave, they seem to think very little of the robots so likely were not planning on moving them, but now that the robots have human bodies things are going to get complicated. They are not of the Court, really, and they aren't of the forest, though it seems a convergence is inevitable at this point. Probably that was Coyotes plan all along.
    I'm rather expecting that they have a cover story prepared. Something like, with Carver's approval, Kat has organized a volunteer effort to recover the CPU's from the robots that were destroyed during Loup's attack. Julliette can vouch for it. The court doesn't need to know that these "Poeple" are "not people"... It would also explain how they are able to get food and clothing for everyone, If Carver has been using his own influence to make requests for resources they would need for the former robots

14. - Top - End - #524

Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    Her beaming smile in the panel where she says she loves the dress does let us infer a genuine sincerity about dressing this way by choice.

15. - Top - End - #525
    Troll in the Playground

Arizona Shell? OK. I'm impressed she was able to figure out Arthur despite the... slight... change in his appearance.

16. - Top - End - #526

I bet Arizona was the name of the dog.

Anyway, she did leave the Shadow Men after her boss was kicked out.

17. - Top - End - #527
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Her beaming smile in the panel where she says she loves the dress does let us infer a genuine sincerity about dressing this way by choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by DeTess View Post
    My takeaway from the dress, Annie commenting on it, and then her response, is that she got very used to wearing the shadowy organization uniform, and when leaving said organization either got a favorite outfit out of storage or went out and got some new clothes (in either case it being somewhat unique and noteworthy, potentially well outside of current fashion in the GC universe).

I bet Arizona was the name of the dog.

Anyway, she did leave the Shadow Men after her boss was kicked out.
    Everyone knows the dog was named North Dakota.

18. - Top - End - #528
    Titan in the Playground

IMO, the suit was more flattering.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

19. - Top - End - #529
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'm more amazed that she is wearing heels - I mean she's tall and thin to start with, so she must be towering over people now...

All her prior appearances she looked to be wearing flats.

20. - Top - End - #530
    Ogre in the Playground

I've felt slightly off with everything since the Mind Cage chapter...
    I'm sure it'll make sense in retrospect, but it does feel like some of these chapters are missing one or two extra pages that would explain the flow of events better.

On the other hand, do you guys think we're going to actually follow the Court to its new location? It feels like we're nearing a climax, and we've had two world-changing events (though the second has thus far been smaller scale impact).
    Annie has one or two years left, but I think that's irrelevant now, the focus is more on the actual in-the-now events and has been since Loup came into play.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

-Squire Doodad

21. - Top - End - #531

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I've felt slightly off with everything since the Mind Cage chapter...
    I'm sure it'll make sense in retrospect, but it does feel like some of these chapters are missing one or two extra pages that would explain the flow of events better.

On the other hand, do you guys think we're going to actually follow the Court to its new location? It feels like we're nearing a climax, and we've had two world-changing events (though the second has thus far been smaller scale impact).
    Annie has one or two years left, but I think that's irrelevant now, the focus is more on the actual in-the-now events and has been since Loup came into play.
    I feel like, for a while now, the pace has been very off. Things were set up, explored, dissected, and resolved over a period of years. Nothing ever felt 'rushed' because everything happened in its time. But suddenly things are just sort of 'happening' and then being... dropped? Relegated to secondary? Resolved without resolution? Set aside? I don't know how to phrase it exactly. Chapter 81 ended with what I thought was the start of a war, chapter 82 was about people recovering from the initial attack, and now chapter 83 has just sort of 'moved on' from what seemed to be going on and is discussing other stuff. The transitions have become jarring because instead of things being wrapped up in a logical 'fully resolved' manner (Jeanne) they're just sort of being hand waived away (second Annie).

As for the second location - I doubt that the story is going to go that way, at least I hope it doesn't. Most of the plot points I'm interested in are feeling closer and closer to resolution and I can't help but feel that a 'move' would just open up new ones and I don't think I care about opening up new threads. If that does happen I'd probably drop the comic from my 'regulars' list and would just check in in a few years when it was done. Personal preference though, not saying it's 'bad' or anyone else is 'wrong' if they like the idea of a new Court.

22. - Top - End - #532
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, it has felt like things have just been "resolved now, thanks, move on" far more often recently... the resolution of "two Annies" came out of nowhere.

23. - Top - End - #533

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    Yeah, it has felt like things have just been "resolved now, thanks, move on" far more often recently... the resolution of "two Annies" came out of nowhere.
    It bothers me so much. I spent probably a year not caring for the 'two Annies' thing because it felt like such a temporary concept that I assumed it was just going to disappear. But it didn't. It kept going and going and going and I really started to appreciate it for that fact. For taking such a transient concept and making it a core part of the story. And then it just disappeared.

24. - Top - End - #534
    Titan in the Playground

PirateCaptain

I'll agree on the Two Annies, but this sequence doesn't bother me.

We ended with Loup attacking the court, then vanishing. The Forest Creatures are unfrozen, the Court has been wrecked but is mostly intact, ect ect.

What we've seen so far with this chapter is one perspective on what's happening during this period, with "New Humans" digging up old robot chips for Kat to build new bodies for.

This establishes one of the main things at play in this Post-Loup era: A growing following of former robots recovering personality chips for Kat.

We follow those robots to Annie and the others, who are giving us the perspective on 'What is the Court Leadership (The Shadow Men) doing during this time". The answer we just got is "Looking for a new source of Aether to tap into for their plan to establish a new Court, now that they can't steal Coyote's"

The other big hanging questions are "What are the Forest Creatures up to" and "What about the rest of the Court residents".
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsurion View Post
    I don't know if you've noticed, but pretty much everything BRC posts is full of awesome.
    Quote Originally Posted by chiasaur11 View Post
    So, Astronaut, War Hero, or hideous Mantis Man, hop to it! The future of humanity is in your capable hands and or terrifying organic scythes.
    My Homebrew:Synchronized Swordsmen,Dual Daggers,The Doctor,The Preacher,The Brawler
    [/Center]

25. - Top - End - #535
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I'll agree on the Two Annies, but this sequence doesn't bother me.
    None of it really bothers me, but then I only recently started following this comic so I read almost all of the story up to the last few pages of Chapter 82: The Forest Released as I would a graphic novel series. Read like that there didn't appear to be any pacing issues. It is one of the drawbacks of getting your story one page at a time...

From that perspective, the two Annies did all they needed to do:
    • Establish Loup's powers and abilities
    • Expose a side of her father's character.
    • Deal with some of Annie's internal issues.
    • Demonstrate the level of Zimmy's abilities.
    • Show how unstable Loup is when things don't go the way he expects (when Annie is reintegrated) - which was not one of Coyote's weaknesses.

We follow those robots to Annie and the others, who are giving us the perspective on 'What is the Court Leadership (The Shadow Men) doing during this time". The answer we just got is "Looking for a new source of Aether to tap into for their plan to establish a new Court, now that they can't steal Coyote's"
    We had that stated openly at the end of Chapter 82.
    Spoiler: Speculation
    Show

I think Shell is here to tell Annie that the Court is going after Zimmy.

They have both been heavily foreshadowed, but I think the next two stages will be:
    • Defending Reynard from Loup (as he still has a part of Coyote in him)
    • Defending Zimmy from the Court (as she is going to be their next ether source)

26. - Top - End - #536
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    None of it really bothers me, but then I only recently started following this comic so I read almost all of the story up to the last few pages of Chapter 82: The Forest Released as I would a graphic novel series. Read like that there didn't appear to be any pacing issues. It is one of the drawbacks of getting your story one page at a time...

From that perspective, the two Annies did all they needed to do:
    • Establish Loup's powers and abilities
    • Expose a side of her father's character.
    • Deal with some of Annie's internal issues.
    • Demonstrate the level of Zimmy's abilities.
    • Show how unstable Loup is when things don't go the way he expects (when Annie is reintegrated) - which was not one of Coyote's weaknesses.
    The complaint here is that while the bulk of the Two Annies subplot was really nice, the actual conclusion to it was too sudden and unexpected.
    The entire time they were fighting, we moved to Gamma and Rey talking, followed by Zimmy chatting with them a little. But then we get "And I know a something that will help Carver understand herself a little better" followed by a cut to Gamma and Zimmy sitting together and Annie re-fused. It caught people off-guard to the point that the comments section was filled with people who weren't aware of what had happened.

It feels as though having, say, 3 pages of Zimmy going down and talking to the Annies and fusing them would have made sense, or perhaps having the chapter after be Zimmy getting the two together and offering to do it and then, well, fusing them. I don't mind the fighting being largely off-screen, but that the actual climax of the book's main subplot being wholly off-screen feels wrong.

We had that stated openly at the end of Chapter 82.
    Spoiler: Speculation
    Show

I think Shell is here to tell Annie that the Court is going after Zimmy.

They have both been heavily foreshadowed, but I think the next two stages will be:
    • Defending Reynard from Loup (as he still has a part of Coyote in him)
    • Defending Zimmy from the Court (as she is going to be their next ether source)
    This seems like the most logical conclusion, though it does make the "across the ocean" line a bit of a red herring (not that I'm complaining). Maybe just "Humans will leave the court, to a new source of Ether" would be sufficiently to the point, idk.
    Last edited by Squire Doodad; 2021-12-31 at 02:59 PM.

-Squire Doodad

27. - Top - End - #537
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    The complaint here is that while the bulk of the Two Annies subplot was really nice, the actual conclusion to it was too sudden and unexpected.

It feels as though having, say, 3 pages of Zimmy going down and talking to the Annies and fusing them would have made sense, or perhaps having the chapter after be Zimmy getting the two together and offering to do it and then, well, fusing them. I don't mind the fighting being largely off-screen, but that the actual climax of the book's main subplot being wholly off-screen feels wrong.
    Oh, I know. I'm not saying that a bit more detail wouldn't have been nice, just that it paces differently when first read at once, rather than a page every other day.

28. - Top - End - #538
    Ogre in the Playground

Oh, I know. I'm not saying that a bit more detail wouldn't have been nice, just that it paces differently when first read at once, rather than a page every other day.
    Yeha, that's a good point. I'm sure this will flow at least a little better in the book.

-Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #539
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

So... He rejected the Ether to join a group of people who are trying to give up the Ether, but who still intend to steal a whole bunch of Ether from some source or another to move away from the Ether to another place that has Ether.

Oh well... At least it sounds like some form of Zen...
    Last edited by Manga Shoggoth; 2022-01-07 at 11:32 AM.

30. - Top - End - #540
    Titan in the Playground

So... He rejected the Ether to join a group of people who are trying to give up the Ether, but who still intend to steal a whole bunch of Ether from some source or another to move away from the Ether to another place that has Ether.

Oh well... At least it sounds like some form of Zen...
    Ether way, I don't get it.