New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 38 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Thrown for a Loup

Quote Originally Posted by Narkis View Post
    Heh. This page is much funnier in retrospect.
    The look on his face makes more sense now.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Titan in the Playground

Has she been calling Annie "Babs" since they met, or is that a new thing? I don't recall.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

The Worldbuilding Forum -- where realities are born.

3. - Top - End - #63

Third frame, really weird shoulder and arm. Looks like a goon from Popeye.

Last edited by wingnutx; 2020-04-17 at 12:31 PM.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Bugbear in the Playground

Eglamore is officially a total daddy.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

5. - Top - End - #65

BlueWizardGirl

This has me wondering, do elves keep children sheltered from adult sex, so Annie didn't see this part of their life in the forest but Idris has no problem with letting an older Annie see it now? Was it out in the open, but Annie was naive enough not to see it? Did she have a mental line between what happens in the forest and what happens in the court?

Or is this because it's Idris and A TEACHER!!! (who, in the eyes of most students, don't have lives apart from being teachers [dressing up like a knight errant and hanging out with someone who looks like a dragon can still be filed under "Things teachers do at school"]).

6. - Top - End - #66

I like her more and more every time I see her.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

The more I think about it, the more I think that Idra might actually be acting naturally here.

Maybe Eglamore just assumed she'd be discreet, having anticipated exactly the reaction that the Annies are currently having.
    Awesome OOTS-style Fallout New Vegas avatar by Ceika. Or it was, before Photobucket started charging money.

General nerd person. Mostly computer games and manga.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Troll in the Playground

There is also the possibility that she is doing this intentionally to screw with everyone involved.
    Man this thing was full of outdated stuff.
    Swoop Falcon
    I make(made?) avatars! Last updated 12-23-2008. Requests not unwelcome. Last request 01-12-2010.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ogre in the Playground

What's up with that lighting contraption in the entrance in only one panel?

10. - Top - End - #70

She already got Jimmy Jims' ironwood moving.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Dwarf in the Playground

I'm just glad for Eglamore. Guy deserves some happyness.
    Huckster-Avatar by Mehoaido from DeviantArt. And yes, the cat is called "Salem".

12. - Top - End - #72

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    What's up with that lighting contraption in the entrance in only one panel?
    Clearly it's a lighting robot joining the work party.

13. - Top - End - #73
    Firbolg in the Playground

As of this writing, the Gunnerkrigg site appears to be down (and not just for me.)

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

It's back up.

Frankly, I think "those guys" are going to get themselves killed.
    It is one thing to suspend your disbelief. It is another thing entirely to hang it by the neck until dead.

Verisimilitude -- n, the appearance or semblance of truth, likelihood, or probability.

The concern is not realism in speculative fiction, but rather the sense that a setting or story could be real, fostered by internal consistency and coherence.

15. - Top - End - #75

SolithKnightGuy

So, two Annies became a thing in chapter 69 (nice) and we're now in chapter 76. Does anyone else feel surprised that it's still going on? I felt like it was the sort of plot point that would get resolved in no time at all but 10% of the story now involves there being two of her, and I still feel like it's barely been explored. That's not intended as a complaint - just something I noticed.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    It's back up.

Frankly, I think "those guys" are going to get themselves killed.
    I kind of hope so. I really want to see something start to happen with all of this - it feels like the court v forest movement has been slow lately.

16. - Top - End - #76

Court vs Forest has developed very slowly for pretty much the entire series, IMO.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Court vs Forest has developed very slowly for pretty much the entire series, IMO.
    I'm guessing that it is the ultimate or penultimate plot of the strip.

18. - Top - End - #78

I'm guessing the two Annies will be around at least until Loup gets the vial back.

19. - Top - End - #79
    Dwarf in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Oh, boy. Annies about to come vent their problems to Kat. Probably without remembering to address the problems that Kat has been dealing with.

Something tells me this conversation is going to be the one these three have been needing to have for a while now. Isn't going to be pretty, though.

20. - Top - End - #80

So over/under on them taking that thing a)going really wrong, b) somehow being part of coyotes plan?

21. - Top - End - #81

Quote Originally Posted by Ibrinar View Post
    So over/under on them taking that thing a)going really wrong, b) somehow being part of coyotes plan?
    Those two options are not mutually exclusive.

22. - Top - End - #82

Didn't mean it as alternatives but that both can be true independently and not just as a packet.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

The only things not part of Coyote's plans are things he deliberately avoided planning for because that would make things too boring and predictable.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Ogre in the Playground

As much as I dislike "these guys", they are at least half right.

Annie (Annies?) is supposed to be a mediator, to see the flaws of both sides and not just obeying orders.
    But despite all warnings she got so far from both sides about Loup, she seems determined to just hand over the objects without any idea what they are, or how they will impact the forest/court relations.

The court side is of course also wrong in thinking they can just renegotiate the terms, but it might still be a safer approach than having no terms at all.

It kind of reminds me of Walter Peck from Ghostbusters.
    No doubt the film portraits him as a villain of some sort, but when you actually listen to what he says, he does have a point...

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by random11 View Post
    As much as I dislike "these guys", they are at least half right.

Annie (Annies?) is supposed to be a mediator, to see the flaws of both sides and not just obeying orders.
    But despite all warnings she got so far from both sides about Loup, she seems determined to just hand over the objects without any idea what they are, or how they will impact the forest/court relations.

The court side is of course also wrong in thinking they can just renegotiate the terms, but it might still be a safer approach than having no terms at all.

It kind of reminds me of Walter Peck from Ghostbusters.
    No doubt the film portraits him as a villain of some sort, but when you actually listen to what he says, he does have a point...
    The problem with Peck is that he's so convinced he's right, that HE doesn't stop to listen or consider the risks of HIS actions.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Killjoy View Post
    The problem with Peck is that he's so convinced he's right, that HE doesn't stop to listen or consider the risks of HIS actions.
    No argument here, this similarity to what's going on is exactly what reminded me of his character.
    Both "villains" in the stories are arrogant and will likely cause damage by their actions, but at the same time, their actions are not based ONLY on arrogance.

The ghostbusters knowingly used their equipment the first time without really testing it (the memorable elevator scene), and while the storage unit was effective, it too was never tested or approved.
    Peck acted this way because he was an a-hole, but also because he wasn't given the information with the proper approvals in time.

Annies intended to just give objects with unknown effect to someone who is clearly mad.
    The Court is wrong to just dismiss them, but it's not wrong to be at least suspicious about the motives, wonder about the impact, and see if they can get something in return.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Willie the Duck View Post
    I'm guessing that it is the ultimate or penultimate plot of the strip.
    Given how everything is being presented, I'm leaning towards penultimate. Loup is certainly a threat, but between the whole Paz/Kat situation, the two Annies being awfully late in the game for this to be a final plotline, and also the Omega Device if we assume that was not the robot barrier (I'm not actually sure), this feels more like a big show to set in place the final major plotline.
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Hang on. Does the Court actually have the authority to take the water from her? She's acting in her capacity as ambassador from the forest, working with elves, to retrieve something of Coyote's that's inside a giant tree. There's an argument to be made that it's on Court property, but it itself is not Court property, they couldn't retrieve it themselves, and as far as I know the Court getting any such thing isn't part of any agreement made with Annie, the Forest's representative. OTOH, maybe they do have that right from an older agreement...

Regardless, the whole thing was pulled off more like a Bavarian Fire Drill than a bureaucratic process, complete with comments about Annie's recent performance to keep the target off balance.
    Quote Originally Posted by Darths & Droids
    When you combine the two most devious, sneaky, manipulative, underhanded, cunning, and diabolical forces in the known universe, the consequences can be world-shattering. Those forces are, of course, players and GMs.
    Optimization Trophies

Looking for a finished webcomic to read, or want to recommend one to others? Check out my Completed Webcomics You'd Recommend II thread!

Or perhaps you want something Halloweeny for the season? Halloween Webcomics II

29. - Top - End - #89

My suspicion is that Coyote will come back before the final storyline. Once he's back, the Court will probably see Coyote as a much more active threat than they did before, assuming they find out that Coyote planned for the creation of Loup.

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    My suspicion is that Coyote will come back before the final storyline. Once he's back, the Court will probably see Coyote as a much more active threat than they did before, assuming they find out that Coyote planned for the creation of Loup.
    I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Loup getting the water back also brings Coyote back.