Somewhere in England I believe.
    You would be correct.
    May you get EXACTLY what you wish for.

2. - Top - End - #962
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Thrown for a Loup

Quote Originally Posted by sihnfahl View Post
    You would be correct.
    That says 'United Kingdom', not 'England'.

I've been under the impression that the Court was actually in Scotland, but I don't recall where I got that idea from.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

3. - Top - End - #963
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I've been under the impression that the Court was actually in Scotland, but I don't recall where I got that idea from.
    Probably because the Annan Waters are a reference to the Annan River in Scotland.

4. - Top - End - #964
    Ogre in the Playground

...well that's sinister.
    i am going to make it through this year
    if it kills me
    i am going to make it though this year
    if it kills me

5. - Top - End - #965
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Just the lightning would be kinda cool, even if I'd feel uneasy about embedding a prototype, hackable, magnetic piece of metal into my brain. But are the black eyes strictly necessary?

Kat is going to go well beyond transhumanity, and replace it entirely isn't she.

6. - Top - End - #966
    Firbolg in the Playground

She has her mother's eyes!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

7. - Top - End - #967
    Troll in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Oh dear, Kat. Best stop now before going any further down that path. That way lies madness.

And bad clothing. Come on, you know every 'creative spark' scientist is absolute rubbish at looking decent!

8. - Top - End - #968

She is in the madness place.
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

9. - Top - End - #969

I Coyote is powered by belief, then I wonder what Kat gets from the robots' belief and worship.
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

10. - Top - End - #970
    Troll in the Playground

Someone is starting to defintively show "Dead goose in a bush near a lake" syndrom bad.

I Coyote is powered by belief, then I wonder what Kat gets from the robots' belief and worship.
    That definitively seems to be the leading hypotesis as to how Kat is/will become the "Angel" and the thing that Anne and Paz have seen a few time in Ether innit ? Especialy now that with the "new people", the robots are closer to human than ever, why wouldn't they be able to influence the ether more than ever ?
    I'm sig'ing in the rain, just sig'ing in the rain....

Somme old avatars, by me
    Spoiler
    Show

-

11. - Top - End - #971

Quote Originally Posted by BRC View Post
    1) The Norns are explicitly Not Kat, they say as much that they're not neccessarily "Here is what Kat will look like in the future"
    That's not what the person you're replying to meant. The Norns told Kat that she'd been there before, when the meeting we see in the comic is Kat's first meeting with them, so she has to have visited them at some point in the future for her.

12. - Top - End - #972
    Troll in the Playground

Canoodling takes time, Kat.

13. - Top - End - #973

I think Annie suspects that this guy is actually Loup.

14. - Top - End - #974
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

This is such a wacky scene. I love how these two are going about warning Kat & Annie in this roundabout way about Robot. I love that Jerrek is indignant about Robot making a deal with "a monster" when that monster was himself, and he knows it, but it's "the principle of the thing."

I'm just really enjoying the problem-solving process and logic of these "new people" and the seeming earnestness of Loup-turned-Jerrek. Loup as a character was never very interesting to me but I'm now quite intrigued what's going to happen with him.

Robot, meanwhile, has had a villain/antihero/antagonist arc brewing for a long time. I'm very interested to see how this all shakes out. Hopefully we can see some major revelations or another shakeup in the dynamic...feels like our holding pattern before the finale is drawing to a close, maybe?

15. - Top - End - #975

Oh, so they did know the whole time that he was Loup.

16. - Top - End - #976
    Ettin in the Playground

Chimera

Quote Originally Posted by WanderingMist View Post
    Oh, so they did know the whole time that he was Loup.
    Probably not the whole time, or at least not completely. Early on Annie seemed to notice he had thoughts about omniscience and took note of it, but later was sharing rather important details with him. Unless that was to draw him out, I don't know why she would do so if she had fully figured it out. I'm guessing she put it together with the whole wanting to see the Star Ocean (for no clear reason), but then clearly having second thoughts.

17. - Top - End - #977

Today's strip makes all the past speculation about Robot being secretly evil funny.

18. - Top - End - #978
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Hmm, hopefully there's more going on here. Robot making the deal with Loup was super cool and one of the first times Robot's agenda seemed to be truly diverging from Kat's/Annie's. It would be disappointing to see that taken away.

Shame on you for not trusting Robot, dear reader.
    Yeah Tom, shame on me for making predictions based on the behavior you showed me. Shame on me for thinking a fledgling ****ing cult leader might have some shady motivations.

I'm sure he's being tongue in cheek but the author's caption is still kinda rubbing me the wrong way here. Probably the first time I've been annoyed with Tom's commentary on his own work. Robot is obviously up to something. If it comes to nothing or winds up being totally benign, I'm gonna be so disappointed in all that "it was worth it" foreshadowing.

19. - Top - End - #979

So the question now is whether Annie, the girl who was very quick to forgive Reynard, Ysingrin, and Jeanne for trying to kill her, will be in-character enough to listen to Lena and give Loup a chance.

20. - Top - End - #980

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    Hmm, hopefully there's more going on here. Robot making the deal with Loup was super cool and one of the first times Robot's agenda seemed to be truly diverging from Kat's/Annie's. It would be disappointing to see that taken away.

Yeah Tom, shame on me for making predictions based on the behavior you showed me. Shame on me for thinking a fledgling ****ing cult leader might have some shady motivations.

I'm sure he's being tongue in cheek but the author's caption is still kinda rubbing me the wrong way here. Probably the first time I've been annoyed with Tom's commentary on his own work. Robot is obviously up to something. If it comes to nothing or winds up being totally benign, I'm gonna be so disappointed in all that "it was worth it" foreshadowing.
    Robot isn't a cult leader, fledgling or otherwise. Cult leaders are obsessed with their own power. Robot is merely trying to create a new religion.

Also, have you never heard of the concept of a red herring?

21. - Top - End - #981

What could Loup possibly due to prove sincerity?

22. - Top - End - #982
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Also, have you never heard of the concept of a red herring?
    Wow, this is amazing! Authors are capable of misleading the audience? I had no idea! This changes everything...

Red herrings work best when the "real" explanation is also plausible - more plausible, even. The author is in charge of what they show us, and if they show us mostly a character being suspicious, and then undo that for no reason, that's not a red herring - that's just inconsistent writing. I don't actually think this is a red herring...I think Robot is up to something bigger here.

But if you don't see something malignant or at least concerning in Robot's behavior over the last few years (really, ever since "It Was Worth It."), then I don't see any way we're going to see eye to eye.

23. - Top - End - #983

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    [COLOR="#0000FF"]
    But if you don't see something malignant or at least concerning in Robot's behavior over the last few years (really, ever since "It Was Worth It."), then I don't see any way we're going to see eye to eye.
    I don't think we will, so here's my take on why I think you're reading too much into that.

Robot isn't human. He was created by humans, but his humanoid appearance is deceptive. His perspective is entirely alien to ours. Like Ysengrim, like Red, like Muut, like how I suspect Kat is becoming...there are fundamental differences in the way his mind works compared to someone like Annie.

I also think his relationship with Kat is meant to be a direct parallel to Diego and Jeanne. Diego turned Jeanne into a vengeful ghost and failed to ever come to terms with his own cowardice. Robot is unflinchingly devoted to Kat even when she casts him away.

24. - Top - End - #984

SwashbucklerGuy

What could Loup possibly due to prove sincerity?
    Since they already let him out of the cage, I guess all it takes is asking to prove his sincerity.

25. - Top - End - #985
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by hungrycrow View Post
    Since they already let him out of the cage, I guess all it takes is asking to prove his sincerity.
    He's out of the cage but not off the hook. Lana standing up for him probably counted for a lot. They're willing to give him a chance instead of killing him in cold blood while he's in a cage begging.

26. - Top - End - #986

SwashbucklerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    He's out of the cage but not off the hook. Lana standing up for him probably counted for a lot. They're willing to give him a chance instead of killing him in cold blood while he's in a cage begging.
    But if Loup really was just tricking them, it'd be pretty easy for him to escape. So they're giving him a lot of leeway here.

27. - Top - End - #987
    Titan in the Playground

Kat can probably just summon that cage anywhere.
    Last edited by Yuki Akuma; 2023-05-27 at 11:43 PM.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

28. - Top - End - #988
    Bugbear in the Playground

It would have to be some gesture, like conjuring back Reynard's body and giving it back, or doing something in detriment to himself.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

29. - Top - End - #989

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    It would have to be some gesture, like conjuring back Reynard's body and giving it back, or doing something in detriment to himself.
    Seems like he's going with "undo the burial of the Court and save all the robots" as his gesture.

30. - Top - End - #990
    Halfling in the Playground

New theory: Annie, just trying to explain why she thinks she can trust Jerrek and think of him as only Jerrek, tells him the story of Coyote and the dead goose. This unlocks Coyote's memories and brings Coyote turning Jerrek/Loup into him. And that is how Annie kills Loup.