New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 37 of 38 FirstFirst ... 12272829303132333435363738 LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,110 of 1122
  1. - Top - End - #1081
    Ogre in the Playground

Chimera

Default Re: Gunnerkrigg Court 8: Thrown for a Loup

I'm having similar issues as some other readers already posted really quite grasping what's going on, whatever is happening is really abstract, making it hard to connect to it, personally speaking.

My 100% original pixelart fantasy webcomic, Hero oh Hero.

Webcomic discussion thread: https://forums.giantitp.com/showthre...7-Hero-Oh-Hero

2. - Top - End - #1082
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Oh. Right. I somehow forgot Annie is a guide for the dead.

3. - Top - End - #1083
    Bugbear in the Playground

SolithKnightGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard Lord View Post
    Oh. Right. I somehow forgot Annie is a guide for the dead.
    Thank you. I had no idea what was going on here.

4. - Top - End - #1084
    Firbolg in the Playground

Spoiler: New page
    Show
    Lana might be alive. Guess that shouldn't be much of a surprise.

5. - Top - End - #1085

Kat getting officially declared as godess of robots / 'new people', in 3 .. 2 .. 1 ..
    -HaJo

FLW: Oh, no. We're being rescued. How embarrassing!

6. - Top - End - #1086

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by hajo View Post
    Kat getting officially declared as godess of robots / 'new people', in 3 .. 2 .. 1 ..
    sure looks that way

7. - Top - End - #1087
    Barbarian in the Playground

Go kat go!
    GO FOR THE EYES, BOO!!!

8. - Top - End - #1088
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Oh. Oh boy. Oh dear.

I know people have been calling it too early for awhile now but…is anyone else getting very strong “beginning of the series climax” vibes from this chapter end?

For whatever reason, I just feel like things are about to pick up speed and just not stop until we’re in the endgame.

9. - Top - End - #1089
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    For whatever reason, I just feel like things are about to pick up speed and just not stop until we’re in the endgame.
    I'm pretty sure this is the endgame.

There will be a denoument, but this is the climax, I'm positive.
    There's no wrong way to play. - S. John Ross

Quote Originally Posted by archaeo View Post
    Man, this is just one of those things you see and realize, "I live in a weird and banal future."

10. - Top - End - #1090
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yuki Akuma View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is the endgame.

There will be a denoument, but this is the climax, I'm positive.
    Agreed. The appearance of Loup was the event that set the final arc in motion. The re-appearance of Coyote kicked off the endgame.

I hesitate to guess at how long a webcomic has left, but it really feels like we're being set up for the comic to finish sometime in 2024.

11. - Top - End - #1091
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

I, uh…

I don’t like that chapter title.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2023-11-28 at 10:25 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1092

Oh, Kat, do you finally get to see all the weird stuff in the ether you usually miss out on?

13. - Top - End - #1093

RedKnightGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Rodin View Post
    Agreed. The appearance of Loup was the event that set the final arc in motion. The re-appearance of Coyote kicked off the endgame.

I hesitate to guess at how long a webcomic has left, but it really feels like we're being set up for the comic to finish sometime in 2024.
    I've been assuming he's going for 100 chapters.

14. - Top - End - #1094

Hmmm, the psychopomps manipulating Annie into working for them may have backfired on them now that Kat's one of them.

15. - Top - End - #1095

So Annie can seemingly pull Kat through the aether? That seems like a new Annie power.

16. - Top - End - #1096
    Orc in the Playground

Kat's "rusty robot mommy" appearances is already etheric to everyone else, she's just blind to it. This does feel like a plot-convenience give that we've never seen anything like this before. Even when trapped in the wasp illusions Annie needed help.
    "With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine."

-RFC 1925

17. - Top - End - #1097

Quote Originally Posted by Mobius Twist View Post
    Kat's "rusty robot mommy" appearances is already etheric to everyone else, she's just blind to it. This does feel like a plot-convenience give that we've never seen anything like this before. Even when trapped in the wasp illusions Annie needed help.
    We have seen Annie do almost exactly this. The boy who moved on with her help and clued her in as to why all the people she talked to with the psychopomps were gone the next day. The kid was terrified of an etheric monster that grew and grew and grew and Annie realized its true form was ordinary fire. I think the first time she saw Kat's etheric form she didn't have time to process that it really was Kat, but it's been a while, so she's gotten used to the idea that Kat's etheric form is a mechanical angel so now she's able to see Kat as she is in reality.

18. - Top - End - #1098

I feel like this scene is providing information very slowly about stuff we mostly already know.

Maybe I should just be reading it in an archive binge instead of every update day.

19. - Top - End - #1099

RedWizardGuy

So, the Court's plan to escape the ether, will it suppress their souls or destroy them completely?

20. - Top - End - #1100

I thought Annie was already fated to become an afterlife guide as part of the deal she made with them to save Smitty?

21. - Top - End - #1101
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JavaScribe View Post
    So, the Court's plan to escape the ether, will it suppress their souls or destroy them completely?
    I got the impression that the Court is misguided in their belief that the ether is escapable at all. Like, they’re excluding everyone etheric from their journey, but that’s not going to outright sever them from the ether, because human life and death is fundamentally entwined with it.

That’s just a guess, though.

Quote Originally Posted by 137beth View Post
    I thought Annie was already fated to become an afterlife guide as part of the deal she made with them to save Smitty?
    Fated yes, but the timing is up for debate. I think they were all hoping she had a bit more time than this — perhaps even close to the end of her lifespan.

I’m curious how this will interact, if at all, with her fire elemental nature and the death sentence of her ever having a child. Not like Annie’s love life has been a central theme of the story — it more informs her relationship with her mother — but if she becomes a psychopomp and is still alive, could she still have a child somehow?

22. - Top - End - #1102
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I got the impression that the Court is misguided in their belief that the ether is escapable at all. Like, they’re excluding everyone etheric from their journey, but that’s not going to outright sever them from the ether, because human life and death is fundamentally entwined with it.
    They are supposedly taking a whole load of etheric energy (They've been trying to steal Coyote's, after all).

I’m curious how this will interact, if at all, with her fire elemental nature and the death sentence of her ever having a child. Not like Annie’s love life has been a central theme of the story — it more informs her relationship with her mother — but if she becomes a psychopomp and is still alive, could she still have a child somehow?
    Her mother managed it. We don't see how long she was a psychopomp for, but she was presumably one before Annie was born.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

23. - Top - End - #1103
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Manga Shoggoth View Post
    Her mother managed it. We don't see how long she was a psychopomp for, but she was presumably one before Annie was born.
    I thought Surma was also never a full psychopomp — just that she’d done it here and there like Annie has.

24. - Top - End - #1104
    Troll in the Playground

Flumph

I thought Surma was also never a full psychopomp — just that she’d done it here and there like Annie has.
    You might have a point - I had a quick look back at the main chapter for that - Surma acts (or rather, was asked to act) as an arbiter in a dispute (Here and following page) rather than directly as a psychopomp.
    Warning: This posting may contain wit, wisdom, pathos, irony, satire, sarcasm and puns. And traces of nut.

"The main skill of a good ruler seems to be not preventing the conflagrations but rather keeping them contained enough they rate more as campfires." Rogar Demonblud

"Hold on just a d*** second. UK has spam callers that try to get you to buy conservatories?!? Even y'alls spammers are higher class than ours!" Peelee

25. - Top - End - #1105

Spoiler: Current page
    Show
    So, the resolution is "yeah, eventually I'll fully be a psychopomp, but not yet," which is what we already had?

26. - Top - End - #1106
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

I don't see how they get around the proviso that a psychopomp is separate from the world of humans. Either it's Kat or its Annie, how is kicking the can down the road allowed?

I'm hoping this "however" is a big one.

27. - Top - End - #1107
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Annie has done psychopomp work before without being a full one, so it seems like a valid tactic. Not sure why she can't just do it temporarily for this one too, really. And that "however" might revolve around what they said originally, that conflicts from the other psychopomps can arise from an improperly selected representative. Or maybe it'll be hard for Annie to stake her claim there later if someone else has moved in.
    Last edited by Pax1138; 2023-12-29 at 11:30 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1108

RedKnightGirl

Oh, bald robot was meant to be the actual pipes inspector? Neat to see that brought back around.

29. - Top - End - #1109

I get that it's supposed to be a big deal for the characters that one of the robots just died, but they were a character we barely know anything about so it's hard for me to care.

30. - Top - End - #1110
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

I think it's less that that guy in particular died, but more that one of the robots died, and the metaphysical results of that.

I get yeah, that if a more promenient robot had died that would've probably had much more of an impact, though, in addition to the mechanical table setting.