New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default D&D 5e Base Class Contest IX Voting Thread

This is the voting thread for the ninth base class contest It's Time for Time

The rules are simple. Vote for your top three picks, in order. You can't vote for yourself. A number 1 vote is worth 3 points, a number 2 vote is worth 2, and a number 3 vote is worth one.

You can also suggest or vote on what you would like the next contest's theme to be. Currently in the suggestion box are Based In Science, Heroes from Myths, Partial Casters, Dragons, and Classes from Previous Editions but don't feel as though you need to limit your suggestions to those themes; a larger pool means more options to vote on next time.

Entry Creator 1st 2nd 3rd
    Arcanaut BerzerkerUnit 0 1 0
    Clockwinder MoleMage 2 2 0
    Speedster sengmeng 0 1 1
    Mage Lanth Sor 0 0 2
    Servant of Fate Breccia 1 1 0
    Maven Leathalsandwich 0 0 0
    Conductor PairO'Dice Lost 2 0 2

The voting period will be three weeks, ending at the end of the day on January 12 January 19. The following day I will tally these results and declare a winner. For the curious, the tiebreakers I will be using are:

1st tiebreaker is whether both participants voted. If one did not, they lose the tie.
    2nd tiebreaker is total number of 1st place votes. The entry which got more 1st place votes will win the tie.
    There is no 3rd tiebreaker. If both entrants voted and both entries reached their total score with the same number of 1st place votes, the tie will stand.
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2020-01-20 at 05:42 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: D&D 5e Base Class Contest IX Voting Thread

My votes are
    1st: Clockwinder
    2nd: Arcanaut
    3rd: Conductor
    based purely on how well the classes fit the theme of the contest.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

1st: Conductor. I'm a sucker for new mechanics, and these are excellent. Probably needs some playtesting to truly balance, but hey so does mine.
    2nd: Speedster. It's got a good complete feel to it, and the mechanics are solidly workable. I'd let it at my table with the caveat of adjusting during the test.
    3rd: Mage. I think a more evocative name would be nice, but again the new spell slot mechanic is great. It is missing a little bit of completeness in the subclasses, however.

For theme, I'm feeling either Classes from Previous Editions or Partial Casters.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Pixie in the Playground

ElfRangerGuy

My votes are :
    1. Conductor
    2. Clockwinder
    3. Mage

For theme either Dragons or partial casters
    Last edited by Leathalsandwich; 2020-01-08 at 11:49 AM.
    Its poisoned, obviously

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

1st: Servant of Fate. Like MoleMage, I love classes with their own mechanics, and all the abilities were dripping with flavor. (Also, the contest really wasn't complete without a Doctor Who reference. )
    2nd: Clockwinder. Another very flavorful class with good unique mechanics; it was a very close call between the two.
    3rd: Speedster. This is a fairly elegant take on the speedster archetype (and reminds me of the 3e Swiftblade in a good way) without overly complicating things.

My vote for the next contest is either Classes from Previous Editions or Heroes from Myths.
    Better to DM in Baator than play in Celestia
    You can just call me Dice; that's how I roll.

Spoiler: Sig of Holding
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by abadguy View Post
    Darn you PoDL for making me care about a bunch of NPC Commoners!
    Quote Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
    I'm pretty sure turning Waterdeep into a sheet of glass wasn't the best win condition for that fight. We lived though!
    Quote Originally Posted by MaxiDuRaritry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by PairO'DiceLost View Post
    <Snip>
    Where are my Like, Love, and Want to Have Your Manchildren (Totally Homo) buttons for this post?
    Won a cookie for this, won everything for this

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Only half of the roster has voted so far, so I'm going to extend this another week.
    Currently operating the 5e Subclass Contest and the 5e Base Class Contest. Check them out if even just to vote or give feedback, we love that in there.

Spoiler
    Show

My DMsGuild content. Most of it was written with feedback from right here on the forums.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Bugbear in the Playground

1) Clockwinder

2) Servant of Fate

3) Conductor

Heroes From Myth, Classes From Previous Editions
    My Homebrew (Free to use, don't even bother asking. PM me if you do, though; I'd love to hear stories).

Avatar done by me (It's Durkon redrawn as Salvador from Borderlands 2).

Nod, get treat.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Alright, I guess it's time to call this so we can get to the new contest. Votes are tallied, and results are as follows:

Our third place winner at 5 points is Breccia with the Servant of Fate! Implement the new Anomalies system in order to produce magical effects of a variety of power levels!

In second place at 8 points, PairO'Dice Losts's last-hour entry The Conductor. With one of the most unique class resources in this contest to date, Time Signature ensures that this class is always doing something, but also that their something changes from round to round.

In first place at 10 points, MoleMage's Clockwinder. Using wind-up devices, you can manipulate personal or general time, but once you do, they need to be rewound. Good thing you also have a big clockwork weapon or the skills to move about quickly!

It looks like there were three votes for Classes from Previous Editions, compared to two each for Partial Casters and Heroes from Myth, so that will be our theme for contest X. Expect to see the new thread in the next few minutes!
    Last edited by MoleMage; 2020-01-20 at 05:59 PM.

Spoiler
    Show

9. - Top - End - #9
    Barbarian in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by MoleMage View Post
    The Conductor. With one of the most unique class resources in this contest to date
    Yeah, it's hard to argue with this one. Perhaps in retrospect I could have voted them a little higher.

Congratulations to Mole Mage and Paradise!