New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Toss a coin to your witcher!

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Dandelion is supposed to be over 40 in the games. And a good part of the TV show takes place decades before geralt and Dandelion meet.
    ^This. About 10-20 years seemingly pass between the first and second episodes.

Always remember that the games are SEQUELS to the books, not retellings.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-04-03 at 05:00 PM.

2. - Top - End - #152
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Also, the show isn't trying to be like the games. It's trying to be like the first book, which was written some 15 years prior to the first game. Having just read the first book, the tone matches exactly. The creative lead isn't doing their own thing, they're literally following the plot from the books. The only difference is that they're weaving in some stories from later books that Geralt wasn't present for to even out the story and make it so the show isn't without its title character for an entire season further down the road.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Zombimode View Post
    50 years before the first Witcher game? Then you can tell me who this "Dandelion" guy in the show is. Since he can't be the Dandelion of the games.
    Each story is presented linearly, but they're not taking place at the same times.

(That said, I regard the games the same as you seem to the TV show. They're just not the books.)

4. - Top - End - #154
    Troll in the Playground

Dandelion is born in 1229. The battle at the end if season 1 is 1263. Witcher 1 starts in 1270, Witcher 2 in 1271, Witcher 3 in 1272 and the last expansion of Witcher 3 in 1275. So Dandelion’s age works fine in both the games and show.

5. - Top - End - #155
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Plus, since they're not using the Julian calendar, there's the strong possibility that they're using the lunar cycle, which has 48 weeks to the year. 4 x 46 = 194 / 52 = 3.73 years disparity between the two "yearly" calculations. Dandelion would actually be about 42 or 43, rather than 46 by our standards, assuming that to be the case.

6. - Top - End - #156
    Bugbear in the Playground

Then you can tell me who this "Dandelion" guy in the show is. Since he can't be the Dandelion of the games.
    Jaskier in the show keeps the Polish name of the character. Dandelion was an adaptation from the English translation of the games (maybe later the books too, I haven't read them in English), instead of going with "buttercup" which would be the literal translation.
    Personally I prefer Jaskier, it keeps the tone of the characters in the universe not having trivial English language names.
    "Like the old proverb says, if one sees something not right, one must draw out his sword to intervene"

7. - Top - End - #157
    Ettin in the Playground

GnomeWizardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Clertar View Post
    Jaskier in the show keeps the Polish name of the character. Dandelion was an adaptation from the English translation of the games (maybe later the books too, I haven't read them in English), instead of going with "buttercup" which would be the literal translation.
    Personally I prefer Jaskier, it keeps the tone of the characters in the universe not having trivial English language names.
    The English version of the book that I have uses Dandelion. It is a version that was released after the Netflix series though, so I'm not sure what earlier versions did.

I think Dandelion is fine. It's not a common English name. It isn't a super silly name, any more than Lily or Sakura. It is a somewhat feminine name, but then again so is buttercup. Both are tenacious weeds with pretty flowers, which is a perfect description of the character.

The character who's name is probably closest to a common English name is Yennefer which is just a variation of Jennifer...or rather, Jennifer is a variation of Yennefer/Yennefir which itself is a corruption of Guinevere.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Orc in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Eldan View Post
    Dandelion is supposed to be over 40 in the games. And a good part of the TV show takes place decades before Geralt and Dandelion meet.
    I agree, I don't think there's a problem with his appearance in the show. Personally, I had no problem with Jaskier's apparent lack of aging over the course of the show, as he is described as looking quite young for his age in the novels, and I really liked Joey Batey's performance.
    Last edited by Sam113097; 2020-04-23 at 01:31 PM.
    Currently worldbuilding Port Demesne: A Safe Harbor in a Shattered World! If you have a moment, I would love your feedback!

9. - Top - End - #159
    Troll in the Playground

50 years before the first Witcher game? Then you can tell me who this "Dandelion" guy in the show is. Since he can't be the Dandelion of the games.
    Even non magical people live much much longer in the Witcher universe then in ours.
    Thanks to Linklele for my new avatar!
    If i had superpowers. I would go to conventions dressed as myself, and see if i got complimented on my authenticity.