New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more

Thread: Reel 'im in!

1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Reel 'im in!

Ahoy. My friend is running a seafaring campaign and using Stormwrack, and is particularly fond of the harpoon. I looked it over and we noticed something odd: Though the entry says you can control a creature's movement with an opposed STR check (DC10+damage dealt) much in the same way as a Net, what happens when you want to reel a person/creature in towards you? Opposed STR checks?

Another thought that came up was that of flying creatures. If a man is riding a Griffon and the Griffon gets harpooned and the player wants to draw him in, what happens? Opposed STR checks again? Ride check? Griffon reflex save to recover in midair due to being yanked off course?

What do you guys think?

Edit: He also wants me to add that the creature would be reeled in at 50ft/round (houserule).
    Last edited by Tyrael; 2007-10-20 at 10:31 PM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

Default Re: Reel 'im in!

I'm not an expert on the rules (actually, quite far from that), but on the first case I think a opposed STR check would make sense. And about the second case, how about opposed STR checks, but the mounted character could add his ride mod (if not all, at least some fraction of it) ?
    Last edited by XiaoTie; 2007-10-20 at 10:30 PM. Reason: Gotta love typos
    Spoiler
    Show

Much lulz avatar made by Fayt, and Echowind made the, awesome, always angry William. And the awesome thelizard made the not-right-in-the-head Argile

Giantitp (Unofficial) IRC. Join now !

3. - Top - End - #3
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I'm the other party in this, and I just feel that it'd have to make a reflex save as a recovery.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Making a reflex save to recover from being harpooned really wouldn't change the fact that the creature is harpooned. If it's being used as a mount, I can't see how the ride skill of the rider would help, but the rider could probably severe the line while making a ride check to stay in the saddle.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Pixie in the Playground

Kobold

I mean to recover from being yanked 50ft in a random direction