Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default [FFG Star Wars] Star Wars Version of the Avernum Games

(Been interested in playing some Star Wars and using the FFG stuff)
    A long time ago in a galaxy far far away...

[[[9 or ten years before A New Hope, or closer depending on when Solo Happened (Solo movie has finished happening but Rebels TV show is just starting)]]]

Episode 0: Emergence
    Dawn. It breaks over your new home, a freezing dust ball where lives go to end. Arrested and convicted in an hour, you have been dropped on a planet that was heavily and violently fought over by militias during the clone wars. The cities are nothing but ruins, and geological instability is rampant. The Empire has converted a set of the ruins into a penal colony, and you lucky few are among the most recent arrivals.

Vicious gangs, savage droids from the clone wars, and deadly beasts share the planet with the penal colonists. Which happens to be you...

The Game: The starting characters are prisoners in the penal colony. The place? the Planet Avernum, a formerly rich technological world that was destroyed through battles of the Clone Wars. These days the empire uses the planet to house random citizens hauled off there due to completely random reasons. Say the wrong thing? were the wrong thing? off to Avernum...

The Characters: A team of 5-6 lucky citizens...
    (Accepting from the different Fantasy Flight Games Star Wars Rpgs, unless somebody can come up with way of convincingly using Star Wars Saga Edition) (You can have Force Users
    Spoiler: Star Wars Details
    Show

1. What game system are you running (D&D, Call of Cthulu, Palladium, GURPS, etc.), and if applicable what edition (Original, Classic, Revised, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 10th, etc.)? Star Wars Fantasy Flight Games, Edge of the Empire, Age of Rebellion, Force & Destiny

2. What 'type' or variant of game will it be (i.e. "Shadow Chasers" or "Agents of Psi" for d20 Modern)? What is the setting for the game (eg. historic period, published or homebrewed campaign setting, alternate reality, modern world, etc.)?

3. How many Players are you looking for? Will you be taking alternates, and if so, how many? Crew of 5-6

4. What's the gaming medium (OOTS, chat, e-mail etc.)? OOTS, play by post

5. What is the characters' starting status (i.e. experience level)?

6. How much gold or other starting funds will the characters begin with? By the Core rulebook, plus available supplements

7. Are there any particular character classes, professions, orders, etc. that you want... or do not want? What are your rules on 'prestige' and/or homebrewed classes? By the Core rulebook, plus available supplements

8. What races, subraces, species, etc. are allowed for your game? Will you allow homebrewed races or species? 'Prestige' races or species? By the Core rulebook, plus available supplements

9. By what method should Players generate their attributes/ability scores and Hit Points? By the Core rulebook, plus available supplements

10. Does your game use alignment? What are your restrictions, if so? By the Core rulebook, plus available supplements

11. Do you allow multi-classing, or have any particular rules in regards to it? By the Core rulebook, plus available supplements

12. Will you be doing all of the die rolling during the course of the game? Will die rolls be altered, or left to the honor system? If players can make die rolls, which ones do they make, how should they make the rolls, and how should they report them? Rolls on the OOTS system, along with special dice roll

13. Are there any homebrewed or optional/variant rules that your Players should know about? If so, list and explain them, or provide relevant links to learn about these new rules. By the Core rulebook, plus available supplements

14. Is a character background required? If so, how big? Are you looking for anything in particular (i.e. the backgrounds all ending up with the characters in the same city)? By the Core rulebook, plus available supplements

15. Does your game involve a lot of hack & slash, puzzle solving, roleplaying, or a combination of the above? A Star Wars crew that is trying to survive, fight the Empire?; probably a mix of all three

16. Are your Players restricted to particular rulebooks and supplements, or will you be allowing access to non-standard material? What sources can Players use for their characters?
    By the Core rulebook, plus available supplements
    Last edited by russdm; 2020-04-03 at 05:58 PM.
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Wookiee. 2 E's. [I am obsessed with this]
    My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: [FFG Star Wars or SW Saga Edition] Star Wars Version of the Avernum Games

Sup! At what point would this be going on? What movies would have happened by this point?
    Last son of the Lu-Ching dynasty

thog is the champion, thog's friends! and thog keeps on fighting to the end!

3. - Top - End - #3
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: [FFG Star Wars or SW Saga Edition] Star Wars Version of the Avernum Games

Timeline is slightly more or so before Start of Rebels tv series, but after other stuff. Solo may or may not have happened. I would have to check the timeline.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Ogre in the Playground

Am thinking a Colonist doctor, from the Edge of the empire book. Am thinking a character similar to Simon Tam from Firefly.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Bugbear in the Playground

Beholder

I might try something from the Special Modifications sourcebook I just picked up, if a droid tech would not go amiss.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

Given that it sounds like a sort of prison break type of situation, how is gear being handled?

Just curious if I decide to play something gear-intensive like a slicer or a lightsaber jedi or something.

EDIT: Also, how are we divvying up the whole Morality/Obligation/Duty stuff if we're using all 3?
    Last edited by jolinaxas; 2019-12-26 at 10:29 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7

OrcBarbarianGuy

Thinking of playing a smug(gler) scoundrel

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ogre in the Playground

Isaac Leibnitz

As always, I made a complete ******* xD

9. - Top - End - #9

Still learning the system, but interested in diving even further into the deep end!

Tempted to go with a Droid Ace (Driver), possibly as a DUM-series Pit Droid.

Would it make more sense for a droid to be one of the prisoners, or a rogue droid scooped up on-planet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Who
    Loving that fluff, loving it so much. If that fluff was a person I'd marry it.

10. - Top - End - #10

OrcBarbarianGuy

Well, myth weavers appears to be down, but I've got a Scoundrel named Brokk Grothaus statted out. If it isn't up in a few days, I'll find another site to put it on.
    Last edited by dojango; 2019-12-28 at 09:08 PM.

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

swsheets has worked very nicely for me.

12. - Top - End - #12
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by jolinaxas View Post
    Given that it sounds like a sort of prison break type of situation, how is gear being handled?

Just curious if I decide to play something gear-intensive like a slicer or a lightsaber jedi or something.

EDIT: Also, how are we divvying up the whole Morality/Obligation/Duty stuff if we're using all 3?
    You will get dropped with whatever gear that you can carry on your person, plus a few extras, courtesy of the Empire...

Characters from Edge will have obligation, those serving the rebellion or from Age will have Duty, while those from Force & Destiny will have their Morality. So, based on which system, it will depend on that.

Droids will be found on planet, relics or left-overs from the Clone Wars. Or just salvage. Droids have less reason to be dropped since they can just be reprogrammed by the Empire. It's easier to just reprogram a droid then drop it on some ruined planet and have to partially look after it.

I was kinda of hoping for Living, I. E. not droid, characters. Why would the Empire drop a droid on a prison planet versus reprogramming it? That will need to be part of droid character backstories. More likely, a droid would be on planet and then found by the party.

Lightsabers or lightsaber parts could be found, since the planet was fought over during the Clone Wars. A Jedi or more, with their Holocron or journals, was lost. Or could have been...

(A side note: Watched the Mandalorian)

13. - Top - End - #13
    Ogre in the Playground

What about other restricted items besides lightsabers?

14. - Top - End - #14
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by zinycor View Post
    What about other restricted items besides lightsabers?
    Well, if you can find it in the ruins, its yours. The Imperials won't be dropping any of you with anything with a restricted rating. Unless you have a permit for it.
    Last edited by russdm; 2019-12-29 at 12:36 AM.

15. - Top - End - #15

All good, if it's easier I can come up with a different character. One of my other ideas was more of a bruiser type of character, I'm sure I can find something for that.

16. - Top - End - #16

OrcBarbarianGuy

Brokk Grothaus, Scoundrel

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

So, I just added the gear, please check to see if everything is ok.
    Last edited by zinycor; 2019-12-29 at 10:35 PM.

18. - Top - End - #18

How's this: Thunk Wodbo, Aqualish Warrior. I'm thinking former pit-fighter, largely unaware of being Force Sensitive. Picked up during a raid of the illegal fighting ring he was a part of, after thoroughly resisting arrest his sentence was upgraded to being dropped on Avernum.

19. - Top - End - #19

RedWizardGuy

Hello! Going to be expressing my interest in the game, think I'm going to make either a Consular or Mystic since Force heavy storylines during the Empire are always interesting to me. Considering its the Empire, and specifically a Penal colony, it would have to be someone that they didn't detect Force sensitivity in, or suspected of it correct? Or is there a reason that they'd go to this penal planet instead of the Inquisitors?

20. - Top - End - #20
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Aruetii View Post
    Hello! Going to be expressing my interest in the game, think I'm going to make either a Consular or Mystic since Force heavy storylines during the Empire are always interesting to me. Considering its the Empire, and specifically a Penal colony, it would have to be someone that they didn't detect Force sensitivity in, or suspected of it correct? Or is there a reason that they'd go to this penal planet instead of the Inquisitors?
    Most likely? They just didn't care. Like you are quota person-being and the guard couldn't be bothered for checking for Force Users. Unless you were heavily using the Force. Or you just handwaved the guard saying "you won't send me to the Inquistors" so the guard said Australia-Hell for you....

21. - Top - End - #21

BlackDragon

Happy New Year all around!

And talking of "happy", I think I know a Mon Cal who would really, really be happy to go to Avernum! (Not! I said Not! ) He'd be a Starship Designer/Shipwright who wasn't too good at the political games a rival of his knew to play. Therefore, he ended up on Avernum after said rival pulled the right strings ... Career-by-Avernum, as they call it.

(Hope it would be okay to use Fully Operational's Shipwright for a non-Rebel Alliance character, replacing Duty with Obligation?)

The Minstrel Wyrm
    Oh, come let me sing of
    Olothontor the Old.
    Music in thrall this lone
    wyrm doth hold.
    If you would live to see
    sunrise again,
    Sing long of love, and
    loss, and pain.
    Sing as you've never
    sung before,
    And alive you may be
    gently shown the door.

-- Stanza from Oh, Come, Let Me Sing, a Harper drinking ballad

22. - Top - End - #22

Fleshed out the fluff parts of Thunk, should be done now, unless I missed something. Not a whole lot of gear, but he doesn't really need much. He'd probably eventually want a new Vibro-Axe, having left the previous one with a security officer. Said officer's family have probably pawned it to pay for his funeral by now. But that's about it.

23. - Top - End - #23

Beholder

Just checking back in on this thread after a very busy holiday. If there were a person who wanted to play a droid character, mine could have built them. It would give me a cool opportunity (other player willing, of course) to try out the droid creation rules in Special Modifications.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Minstrel Wyrm View Post
    (Hope it would be okay to use Fully Operational's Shipwright for a non-Rebel Alliance character, replacing Duty with Obligation?)
    In what way? That he has obligations? That works fine

25. - Top - End - #25

Beholder

@russdm - I took a rank of Deft Maker. Would it be possible for me to take a couple pieces of starting gear and then *make* the rest of what I want using that talent on planet before the adventure starts? Iíd be able to benefit from the 50% cost reduction, and justify the creation of droids from scrap salvaged there on planet.

26. - Top - End - #26

Beholder

Just in case itís allowed, Iíd like to roll some dice to build a few things from scrap salvaged on the planet.

First, I have 325cr after buying my Mechanics clothing. Iíd spend 100cr to represent getting the materials for an Energy Pistol (Special Modifications, p.78). Normally, it would be 200, but I have the Deft Maker talent.

Then, Iíll make the Mechanics Check. The difficulty is Hard (3 purple) and the base time is 12 hours. My Intellect is 4, and my Mechanics is 2.

Ability Dice: (2d8)[4][7](11) - 3 Successes, 1 Advantage
    Proficiency Dice: (2d12)[12][9](21) 1 Success, 1 Advantage, 1 Triumph
    Difficulty Dice: (3d8)[8][5][4](17) 3 Threat, 1 Failure

And, if allowed, a Boost Dice for having the right equipment: (1d6)[2](2)

Net Result: 3 Successes, 1 Threat, 1 Triumph
    The blaster took 8 hours to build.
    It had (from my Triumph) Efficient Construction, allowing me to regain 50cr from my construction.

Russdm - you can choose to do one of the following to my weapon for the Threat: I suffer 3 strain, or the encumbrance is increased by 1, or it gains Cumbersome 1.

And, now I have a nice and very cheap blaster to use.

Damage 6, Crit 3, Range Medium, Encum 1, HP 3
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2020-01-06 at 08:04 PM.

27. - Top - End - #27

Beholder

Spoiler: Siv Kaithel, Technician
    Show

Siv Kaithel
    Droid Technician

Starting Obligation - 20pts
    Species - Human
    Career - Technician / Droid Tech

Brawn - 2
    Agility - 2
    Intellect - 4
    Cunning - 2
    Willpower - 2
    Presence - 2

Career:
    Astrogation 1
    Computers 2
    Cool 1
    Coordination
    Discipline
    Knowledge (Outer Rim) 1
    Leadership
    Mechanics 2
    Perception 1
    Piloting 1

Human-Granted Skills:
    Ranged-Light 1
    Gunnery 1

Speaks Binary (5): when directing NPC droids, may grant them blue per rank of Speaks Binary on checks

Machine Mender (5): when making a Mechanics check to help a character heal wounds, the target heals 1 additional wound per rank of machine mender

Deft Maker (10): Remove black per rank of Deft Maker from checks to repair, modify, construct or program droids. Reduce the material cost to craft droids by 50%

Eye for Detail (10): ACTIVE: after making a Mechanics or Computers check, may suffer strain up to ranks in Eye for Detail to convert that many successes to triumphs

Wound: 12
    Strain: 12
    XP: 0
    135 cr

Mechanics Utility Suit (always count as having a tool kit)
    Custom Blaster
    Commlink
    Datapad
    Sabbac Deck

Siv Kaithel is a technician from a backwater planet known as Batuu. He had the misfortune of being off planet and accidentally running afoul of imperial authorities. Most stories involve a heavily alcoholic drink and a young officerís uniform that became intimately acquainted. Dropped off in this hellscape with very little, Siv actively scavenges for parts with which he can construct some droids. He doesnít feel comfortable without a handful of them around.

Edit: If you could give me a ďcredit amountĒ of scavenged materials I can find, Iíd love to run through a droid crafting check!
    Last edited by EarthenRite; 2020-01-06 at 08:48 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28

Beholder

Just checking in...is everything still on with this game?

29. - Top - End - #29
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@All Players: I will be doing a spot check and making up a list of status for characters. So, that I know how ready to start the party is

Quote Originally Posted by EarthenRite View Post
    @russdm - I took a rank of Deft Maker. Would it be possible for me to take a couple pieces of starting gear and then *make* the rest of what I want using that talent on planet before the adventure starts? Iíd be able to benefit from the 50% cost reduction, and justify the creation of droids from scrap salvaged there on planet.
    Yes, it would be possible. It might be a little harder to find stuff since most ruined areas have been picked over, but that really only applies in the area around your starting location. Once you get past the First encampment and the zone it occupies/controls, there will be more to find.

Just in case itís allowed, Iíd like to roll some dice to build a few things from scrap salvaged on the planet.
    Which Area did you want to use? The Starting Area? or an area beyond the Starting Area? It will change the difficulty of the check for you depending which one you go with. That will determine whether you will find enough or have to roll an amount that you found in total.

Just checking in...is everything still on with this game?
    Let me do a check on each character submitted to establish progress.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

@All Players:: Can you mark down in reply your obligation/duty/morality, how much (obligations) per each one if you have more than one, what it is (duty), and where on the scale/which scale (morality), ? Thanks

For Characters::

Zinycor) Finished: Isaac Leibnitz, Human Colonist / Doctor, Edge of the Empire
    EarthenRite) Finished: Siv Kaithel, Human Technician / Droid Tech, Edge of the Empire
    Jolinaxas) Requested, gone no further
    Dojango) Finished: Brokk Grothaus, Human Smuggler / Scoundrel, Edge of the Empire
    Bowerbird) Finished: Thunk Wodbro, Aqualish Warrior / Colossus, Force & Destiny
    Aruetii) Requested, gone no further
    Minstrel Wyrm) Requested, gone no further