New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 2 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111227 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Halfling in the Playground

Default Re: VIgil: Return of the Geneva

[It's Time to Duel!]

Something about this all feels slightly off to Ith. But she's far too busy arguing now to think about that. Although she tones the angry voice down a few notches to make her next comment sting just a little more. "Yeah, you're right. I haven't seen you in action. I have no idea what you did or didn't do in Inside. So if you got banned from Inside after that, it's got nothing to do with me."

She narrows her eyes, pointing a finger accusingly at Anika. "I'm sorry that your poor performance got you banned from Inside. Maybe you should go sort out whatever your problems are instead of looking for excuses and blaming it all one me!" Ithuriel bares her teeth for just a moment, her calm demeanour momentarily vanishing and offering perhaps just a glimpse of her small fangs. And then it's straight back to calm again as she adds, "But by all means, feel free to prove me wrong."
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Barbarian in the Playground

The Interview

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Shadowcaller View Post
    [The Interview (No, not that one)]

Faith can't help but to smile at Lazarus concerns. One second she was talking about eating people and the other she was worried about swearing. "It's fine, people swear." She remarks as she raises her palms. "I told you to speak your mind so don't try to censor yourself. Besides, you're describing an ideal that a lot of people don't try to live up to." The journalist pauses for a moment, tapping her pen against her notebook. "So joining VIGIL was ultimately a way to make you feel like you made the world a better place." She finally summarizes. "Though there were probably many other ways for you to feel like you actively helped the world other than joining VIGIL. So what made you pick that option specifically? I mean, I'm what some might consider the downsides of joining such a famous organization. The fact that you suddenly get public attention. There must have been some thought process regarding all the pros and cons of entering the spotlight like this."

"Well if I joined GLoG it would just be a lot of guarding a campground, and paying the fare to go to HALO and back every day would get way too expensive. Honestly, I was going to join MERC at first, since I figured working there would be more lucrative, but I met a monk who was on her way to VIGIL, and I just...have you ever had an older friend or sibling you just really wanted to prove yourself to? They say one little thing that implies they might not have complete faith in you, so you drop everything you're doing to prove them wrong, even if you were having the same doubts about yourself only a moment ago? I don't know if she'd be okay with me mentioning her by name in this interview, but talking to that monk changed everything. She's this supercool, unbelievably strong godpowered person, and she...she didn't know if it'd be safe to let me live like this. She wasn't sure if she could justify letting me go, or if she was better off preemptively punching my entire soul right out of my body." Saint Lazarus bows her head, pausing to catch her breath even though that's just a silly human habit she should've given up on months ago.

"I did my best to convince her, but I wasn't really sure I believed any of what I was saying to her. I mean, I was going to go to MERC to kill for money and then spend that money on human meat that could've come from who knows where. Was that enough? Did I owe it to anyone to work harder than that, to risk my life protecting the world from evil? Well, I decided that of course I do. If not for my work with VIGIL, I'd just be another dangerous vigilante, one whose sole gimmick is eating the bodies of the criminals she kills. That's not being a good or even an okay person, that's just being a serial killer. If I have to be part of the Nexus's Powered Class, I'd rather be the next Wenomir than the next Rot. No matter how many spotlights or how much publicity I get along the way."

The Initiation

Well, I guess it's about time we brought Fidelia onto the team. Hopefully they've got a much easier trial for Fi than what Jenette and Calm Reed had to go through. That giant magma monster thing was pretty intense, even if it was all fake and totally harmless. Saint Lazarus leads the way into VIGIL, striding right in like she's done countless times before. It'll be easy, right? Fi's talents are much less combat-focused, so we'll just do a quick demonstration, fill out some paperwork, and everything will be set. There's no reason to be even a little bit anxious about this, surely. In and out in like two minutes, tops.

"I heard one of Magtok's girlfriends was a funeral goddess. You think she might magic up a cure if we find out her name and do a few prayers? I mean, I'm like halfway there to being exactly the sort of thing death deities are supposed to be in charge of, right?" Saint Laz asks. As always, the subject of conversation on the way here drifts to Jenette's eating disorder. She's narrowed things down a little, and done a few internet searches to figure out which deities can't help, but there's still no permanent solution arranged just yet. Jaahlyn's been busy doing Jaahlyn things, and everyone else who offered to help, well...I'm sure they're just busy too, right? Something's bound to come up sooner or later, we just need to be patient.
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbitHoleLost View Post
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson
    Unhooded Magtok avvie by urodivoi

3. - Top - End - #33
    Bugbear in the Playground

The Initiation

St Lazarus isn’t the only one feeling a little anxious here. Which is perfectly reasonable; after all, VIGIL is the organization that so many famous figures of the Nexus have served. DC, Wenomir, Cessie, Harnetta... Fidelia wasn’t super familiar with any of them, but she knew the names, and right now she was idly fretful about the prospect of stage fright if any of them showed.

Fretful enough for a hand to weave its way towards Jenette’s own, in fact.

”M-maybe? I mean, a lot of those death gods tend to be pretty salty about undead, should we worry about that?” She points out, looking around with subdued awe and trepidation. This was a nice place. It felt... odd to think she might belong here. Though, if they can’t just cure you, maybe they can at least help with some effects? Ease the hunger or stop you from infecting people or something.”
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Spoiler: Quotes from Friends <3
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by SliiArhem
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? Try joining our Discord server!

4. - Top - End - #34
    Titan in the Playground

[AMEN Debrief]

"Hrrrm." Following that non-committal grunt, Wenomir actually speaks. "Maybe that's true. Maybe AMEN finally found a brain. Or maybe the demons are holding their leash and do the thinking for them."

Around this time, the skyship arrives and Adir can drive the truck inside. A medical team is inside, ready to care for the rescued maybe-Ilpholin.

"I would have loved to string Sargon's corpse in the middle of Riverside for all to see," Wenomir meanwhile says, with deceptive calm. "But I was... bogged down by one thing after another. Marble swarms that turned out to be an illusion. Body-swapping with Anika. Undead. AMEN scum. The demons did it on purpose, to prevent us from getting anywhere." He shakes his head. "Anyhow, it's been three weeks since the invasion."
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.
    Interested in the Nexus FFRP setting? See our Discord server.

5. - Top - End - #35
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spooky Encounters]

Bastion nearly jumps out of his skin when Zee suddenly shows up. She wasn't there a second ago, was she? "How'd you do that? Can you teleport?" He asks eagerly, forgetting his manners in the process.

"You shoulda hit her with your sword!" Cora chirps, not paying Zee as much mind. Instead she just steps up to Wenomir. "She was a bad guy. You coulda got her."

6. - Top - End - #36

[Spooky Encounters]

Zee pats the flower-haired girl on the head. "Thanks, Laela, I'm hoping I might be able to catch up with the dastardly do-badder. Maybe teach her not to be a jerk to people by turning them into girls and sheep."

At least Wenomir wasn't turned into a girl AND a sheep.

That would have been terrible.

Then Bastion asks his question, which is in fact a completely reasonable question to ask.

"Well," Zee replies, bending down a bit and glancing about conspiratorially. "I might look human right now but I'm really not. I'm actually-"

Then she strikes the coolest, most heroic pose she can muster.

"An angel-dragon! Who fights badguys! Wenomir and I have helped save the world a few times together. I don't teleport, I just have to hide when I'm in my real-shape because I'm so shiny and bright it might hurt someone's eyes."

Among other things.

"Wooloo!" Lapis adds.

"Lapis wants you to know that she's an angel-dragon, too. She's my daughter, actually. But she hasn't gotten eye-hurting shiny yet," Zee informs the children. "She was hoping that maybe you kids might want to play with her until she stops being a sheep."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Titan in the Playground

[Spooky Encounters]

"There was no need for that, Cora," Wenomir says gently. "I told her to fix you three or else, and so she did. She just decided to play one last prank on me first, and didn't fix Lapis. But it wasn't worth getting my sword out and chasing her. I have to know when to hold back."
    Last edited by Morty; 2020-01-03 at 02:29 PM.
    My FFRP characters. Avatar by Ashen Lilies. Sigatars by Ashen Lilies, Gullara and Purple Eagle.

8. - Top - End - #38

[Spooky Encounters]

"Uh, sure, we can play!" Laela says. She would have anyways, but knowing that someone as cool as Zee is Lapis' mom? Heck yeah! She wants to gush about how cool Zee seems and ask if she wants to meet her parents when they come to get her, but Laela manages to control herself a little.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

9. - Top - End - #39

[AMEN Debrief]

Tiffany nods to Anika. "Alright."

She leans back against it and lets herself get healed.
    Finally, it stops hurting. Geez, why do gunshot and knife wounds hurt so much? "Thanks."

Realizing that the conversation is turning to something that has absolutely nothing to do with her - Riverside and Ilpholin and fighting and demons - Tiffany doesn't interject herself into the conversation. She wasn't there, she has nothing to bring up, she actually doesn't even know what they're talking about...
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

10. - Top - End - #40

Quote Originally Posted by Arkhosia View Post
    The Initiation

St Lazarus isn’t the only one feeling a little anxious here. Which is perfectly reasonable; after all, VIGIL is the organization that so many famous figures of the Nexus have served. DC, Wenomir, Cessie, Harnetta... Fidelia wasn’t super familiar with any of them, but she knew the names, and right now she was idly fretful about the prospect of stage fright if any of them showed.

Fretful enough for a hand to weave its way towards Jenette’s own, in fact.

”M-maybe? I mean, a lot of those death gods tend to be pretty salty about undead, should we worry about that?” She points out, looking around with subdued awe and trepidation. This was a nice place. It felt... odd to think she might belong here. Though, if they can’t just cure you, maybe they can at least help with some effects? Ease the hunger or stop you from infecting people or something.”
    "They wouldn't be the only one salty about me being undead. Maybe I'd get brownie points for that," Jenette suggests, though she's already losing confidence in the idea. Agreeing that she's an awful ghoulish abomination and needs to be cured won't do much to help her odds if the god's a 'smite first, ask questions later' kind of deity and doesn't even bother to talk to her about that. You run into similar problems with life deities too, though. Blegh, sometimes it seems like just about every kind of deity except maybe the necromancy ones have some stupid reason to hate her, and even the most well-meaning necromancy ones would just make her problems worse.

"We can worry about that later, though. You're going to be a member today of VIGIL today!" she cheers in a sing-song voice, swinging Fi's hand forward and back in her own, trying to fake a bit of extra enthusiasm to brighten the mood. Every day is just one step closer to being able to actually kiss Fi. I mean, she probably could do that now, but only on the cheek, and even then she'd have to be careful about keeping herself in line because if she so much as thought about nibbling an ear, boom, one more life ruined and another person desperately seeking a cure to ghoulhood, and a whole lot of extra guilt on her conscience for turning the one friend who always believed in her. No, it's easier to just not do anything at all for now.
    Magtok's the best
    "You probably found 'How to Survive a Robot Uprising' in the humor section. Let's just hope that is where it belongs."
    -Daniel H. Wilson

11. - Top - End - #41
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post

[Lapis' Really Fantastic Fort now with more Furniture!]

Lapis gets a nice hug.

It makes her feel a little better.

"But why though?" Lapis asks, clearly puzzled by all this. "Why make mean people's souls into something worse? Why not just let them go away?"

She really doesn't understand souls. She knows OF them. Mostly from other people talking about them. She knows what they're good for. They let people have hopes and dreams. And hopes and dreams are how people change and grow. But why take someones deepest, darkest dreams and slimiest, grossest hopes and make that into a monster that wants to spread that icky stuff?

Lapis just can't make any sense of that. It's like what the Aes Shee do. And they're the worst.
    [Lapis' Fort, Furnished with Love!

"The Allfather of my universe, my boss, has a plan. At the end of time, all of evil will go away, permanently. Demons increasing their numbers will not help. Do you not have any equivalent in your world, like the faeries you speak of?" Ruth asks, stroking Lapis to comfort her. The littler angel runs up to Lapis and attempts to lead her to the touched-up nest so they both can play.

"Come, let's focus on good and wholesome stuff, like play!" Asher says, clearly sad that Lapis is being sad too. "Don't let bad things ruin your joy, little sister!" He says, fondly, plopping his butt in her nest. "Let's talk about angel stuff. Can I meet your real siblings sometime?" He says, patting the space in front of him so they can face each other.

Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [Training Grounds]

"W-well," Holly says, still feeling a bit uncomfortable, "I guess I have no reason to still be here, right? And y'all probably have a lot of paperwork or whatever to do."

She points in the direction she thinks the airship gantry is: that way, and down at such-and-such angle. "The exit's that way, if I remember correctly. Not completely sure how to get there, but I'm sure I could manage." Since the training grounds is on the surface and the gantry is on the underside.
    Quote Originally Posted by Morty View Post
    Wenomir continues to look at Holly with some disapproval. She's rude and is acting strangely. But he can't put his finger on what exactly seems off about her.

"You may go, if you wish." Turning back to Svetlana, he continues: "I will train you. We will see how your own style responds to my teachings. I don't believe in moulding my students in my own image."
    [Training Grounds]

"Wait a minute, Holly." Svetlana sharply addresses the half-elf. "You are acting all weird. Weirder than usual anyway." She narrows her eyes a bit, then turns back to her new Teacher.

Now, Svetlana is not much of a smiler, Wenomir's scowl is one feature they have in common. However, on hearing this news, she smiles wider than one would expect, and bows forward once more. "Arigato, sensei. I humbly thank you, my heart soars. I will be living in this base. Where shall my room be?" Waving at Holly, she adds. "See you soon, you weird half-elf."
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Ogre in the Playground

Spoiler
    Show

[AMEN Debrief]

Anika pouts at the stag. "It would be super-awkward to heal her in the car, Adir! Besides, we were in such a hurry that I just got into the vroom without thinking." A pause. "Or whatever it's called." She turns back to Tiffany. "But just lean back against metal-cargo and relax, gonna heal you up real good, 'kay?" And with some gestures green colored healing magic starts to swirl around Tiffany and heal her wounds.

Then without waiting she moves on to 'Raven'. "Going to heal you too if that's cool. You don't have any curses, ecetera either, right?"
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [AMEN Debrief]

Adir looks at Wenomir seriously. "...Look, I haven't tangled with these people as much as you, but I know underestimating crazy people is a mistake. Especially when they're capable of the things AMENites are. Incompetent, sure, whatever. But I think you'd better keep her under guard."

Adir just scans around the circle then while they await the shuttle, finishing the run with Raven as she addresses him. The stag seems a little hurt. Anika is left ignored for the time being, sadly.

"Ilpholin, we were rolling so deep after you ditched me that we were lucky to survive, let alone go after anybody in charge. I had burns on most of my body from covering Cessie. Jezebel was..." Adir actually shudders when he remembers what Jezebel looked like at the end of that bloody day. "I can't fly. I can't do anything about a goddamn skyship, Ilphy. If you had stuck with me and you could, maybe I could have helped, but you didn't want me to participate at all." Adir touches the back of his head.

"I'm sorry if you got hurt," he adds at last. His blue eyes flash especially bright inside the camouflage painted around them, and he seems a little melancholy. He wished a lot of things that day had gone better.
    [AMEN Debrief]

"Hrrrm." Following that non-committal grunt, Wenomir actually speaks. "Maybe that's true. Maybe AMEN finally found a brain. Or maybe the demons are holding their leash and do the thinking for them."

Around this time, the skyship arrives and Adir can drive the truck inside. A medical team is inside, ready to care for the rescued maybe-Ilpholin.

"I would have loved to string Sargon's corpse in the middle of Riverside for all to see," Wenomir meanwhile says, with deceptive calm. "But I was... bogged down by one thing after another. Marble swarms that turned out to be an illusion. Body-swapping with Anika. Undead. AMEN scum. The demons did it on purpose, to prevent us from getting anywhere." He shakes his head. "Anyhow, it's been three weeks since the invasion."
    Quote Originally Posted by 5a Violista View Post
    [AMEN Debrief]

Tiffany nods to Anika. "Alright."

She leans back against it and lets herself get healed.
    Finally, it stops hurting. Geez, why do gunshot and knife wounds hurt so much? "Thanks."

Realizing that the conversation is turning to something that has absolutely nothing to do with her - Riverside and Ilpholin and fighting and demons - Tiffany doesn't interject herself into the conversation. She wasn't there, she has nothing to bring up, she actually doesn't even know what they're talking about...

[AMEN Debrief]

Raven nods at Anika. "You can. Should be mostly healed by now anyways." She kinda holds out her arm towards the druid, and indeed, most of the injuries she had were already scabs.

"I can't fly either," Raven affirms. But she found a way to anyways. Something she holds back because it sounds more judgemental than intended. "You shouldn't have participated." Raven assures Adir before she hangs her head a bit. "I would never forgive you if you had made Sakura cry."

She is almost immediately distracted and glances back and forth between Anika and Wenomir. Subtly, but probably not subtly enough, she mouths 'Body-Swap' to Anika while she's close and healing her. It is clear Raven has many questions she wants to ask. But she ends up stepping back and leaning against the truck. "Three whole weeks? That long? It's felt like three days to me."
    Last edited by Reinholdt; 2020-01-05 at 06:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord Magtok View Post
    Gods, Reinholdt was right, a hundred percent right.
    Spoiler
    Show
    -Nyahahaha~
    Quote Originally Posted by Supagoof View Post
    Tale as old as thread
    And you find yourself dead
    Reinholdt was the Beast
    Quote Originally Posted by Philistine View Post
    Reinholdt had already told the truth once in that post, and therefore was over his annual quota.

13. - Top - End - #43

[leaving Training Grounds => Gantry to leave base]

"Yeah, sorry, I'm on the tail end of a flu," she claims. "I really should've stayed at home, but I was too bored."

Holly waves 'bye' and heads back to the gantry, so she can take an airship down.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

14. - Top - End - #44

Initiation

Fidelia giggles lightly, a modest smile crossing her face. "W-well, assuming I pass their, uh, evaluations, at least." A beat. "I mean, uh, I-I'm sure they'll let me join, I know I'm pretty good at some stuff, I'm just a lil worried since I'm not as good as, like, Wenomir or anything. Well, that and all the trauma she still hasn't fully come to terms with, or how performing poorly might reflect on St Lazarus, but that's not the sort of thing she should be dwelling on right about now. I mean, Jenette seemed to be in good spirits, why ruin that mood?

Besides, being less self-deprecating was something Fidelia was trying to work on. She just had to think more positively about herself and her situation. She could handle herself in a fight, Jenette could vouch for her skill at all sorts of equipment maintenance, and most importantly, her scars definitely looked prettier than Wenomir's.
    "Are we living a life that is safe from harm? Of course not, we never are. But that's not the right question. The question is: are we living a life that is worth the harm?"
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show
    Arkh I may be slightly delirious but I don't think that would make sense even if I was coherent.

15. - Top - End - #45

Initiation

"I don't think they'd let me in if you had to be as good as Wenomir, Fi." Saint Lazarus has never actually seen Wenomir in battle, but she can make a few assumptions she feels are pretty safe. I mean, he's clearly an important leader guy who worked his way up from the bottom, and if you just look at what Cessie's capable, well...even if Wenomir can only contribute half as much as that in a fight, he must still be some kind of incredible superhuman swordmaster supreme. Not someone Saint Lazarus would want to challenge to a duel, even without the...reputation VIGIL's co-commander's duels have accumulated.

"You'll do fine, I promise."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

16. - Top - End - #46

The Interview

Faith takes a few notes as Saint Laz describes the 'monk'. "I might have heard about her. Though the brief description I got doesn't seem to do her justice. She sounds like an amazing person from your description. Supposedly, VIGIL attracts that kind of people to it for various reasons and it sounds like she might have been one of your main sources of inspiration. But there must have been a reason to why you were heading to VIGIL in the first place too, right? So what did you know about the organization that ultimately made you take the same path as this monk?"

[It's Time to Duel!]

Anika narrows her eyes. "No, I totally got banned by your complaint! What I did in Inside had nothing to do with it!" Anika insists as she bares her teeth in a predatory manner. "The way you acted when I tried to heal you probably made people think I had punched you in the face or something when I had just wanted to help! I don't get why you have to be so mean. Okay, I probably shouldn't have shouted at you, but you're acting like a total jerk now!"

[AMEN Debrief]

Anika raises an eyebrow as she sees 'Raven's' mostly healed wounds. Hadn't Ilpholin said something about mirco-magic healing her? Frankly, she wasn't sure how that worked with her own healing magic so maybe it was best to hesitate on that if she had just been surgeonyed or whatever.
    "Eh, maybe I should just let you heal on your own then." She turns to Adir and Wenomir.
    "Oh yeah! Did you see Wenomir running around in my body, Adir?! It was so weird! Wasn't it, Wenomir? You barely even had any clothes on by the end of it! So embarassing." Anika shakes her head. "I did figure out how to turn into a bear as Wenomir though so it wasn't that big a deal."

Initiation

No duels will be nessecary it seems as Laz and Fidelia will be directed to Cessie's office rather than Wenomir's. Two magma elementals, which Lazarus will be quite familiar with by now, and Garn the gargoyle are positioned inside. Though while the elementals bow give them a bow as they enter, Garn gives them a glare.
    Cessie herself is standing behind her desk with the arms resting on the back of her chair and moves to sit down as they enter. She's dressed in one of her more classic attires. She nods politely before addressing them. "Saint Lazarus, welcome. I see that you've brought a friend?" She gives Fidelia a curious look, smiling faintly at her.
    Last edited by Shadowcaller; 2020-01-05 at 07:04 AM.

17. - Top - End - #47

[It's Time to Duel!]

"I'd expect someone of your standing would remember the orders and decisions they make, especially when they have such a heavy [caress]in' weight on other people's lives," Blanche interjects, scowling. If someone giving orders couldn't care to remember what the hell they did or who they affected, they certainly didn't seem like the sort of superior anyone could rely on or trust.

Initiation

Jenette's words seem to mollify Fidelia's worries as the duo arrive at Cessie's office, although the squire might need a brief tug to keep her from dallying as Garn's judging gaze cause her to shrink a little. Indeed, she seems to get a little more nervous as she spots the co-commander, subconsciously staying ever-so slightly behind St. Lazarus.

"Um, hello," Fi greets with an anxious little smile. "I'm, uh, Fidelia, her... partner?" The girl looks towards St. Lazarus in an awkward check for confirmation, blissfully unaware of the double meaning the term might imply.
    ~Welcome to Night Vale

Show

18. - Top - End - #48

[It's Time to Duel!]

"Wow." Ithuriel remarks, leaning back slightly. "Are you serious? You're just gonna start making **** up about me like that? I haven't done anything mean to you, and you're just flinging accusations at me, for what? To drag my name through the mud? To make yourself look good? How toxic has VIGIL got if there's such spiteful people as you running around the place?!"

Ith does not look amused. She didn't come here expecting anything like this!

One fist clenches tightly. Gods, it would be so satisfying to just punch the lights out of this uppity elf right now...

"Look, I dunno what lies she's been telling you about me-" Ithuriel mutters, looking at Blanche, "But none of this crap is true. In fact-" She glares at Anika, "I'm not standing for this. You take it back! Right now!"
    Before you criticise someone, walk a mile in their shoes. That way, when you criticise them, you'll be a mile away and you'll have their shoes.

19. - Top - End - #49

[Lapis' Fort, Furnished with Love!]

Allfather?

Lapis has a vague understanding of various gods and mythologies from her mom's homeworld. Wasn't that the god some people used to worship who had the two pet birds?

But before she can ask any further questions she's yoinked away!

Woop!

"Oh, yeah! They're all over the place. Some of them mom made like me. But there are two who she just adopted. They aren't quite as tough since they're just kids so they don't get dangerous missions but that's okay since I don't mind doing dangerous stuff! I love being helpful it's great!"

Even is most of her helpfulness is just keeping the VIGIL grounds clean and trimmed.

"If I get killed here that just means I get booted out of the Game, so it isn't too bad. I could probably just play around in the Fields of Eden until mom is able to bring me back down here again. I haven't seen Eden before but I just KNOW it's super pretty and I would love it. But I love it here too since there are so many nice people I can help! Do you have a favorite game mine's catching birds! The birds are always really scared for a little while but they find out real quite that I'm nice there's this really weird one though that I don't think is really a bird."

That one's the weirdest.

20. - Top - End - #50

Initiation

Quote Originally Posted by Fidelia View Post
    "Um, hello," Fi greets with an anxious little smile. "I'm, uh, Fidelia, her... partner?" The girl looks towards St. Lazarus in an awkward check for confirmation, blissfully unaware of the double meaning the term might imply.
    Wow, that's, uhh...that's a stronger introduction than Jenette was expecting. She falters for just a moment as she sinks into her chair, doubly glad for both her face-concealing helm and her ghastly complexion doing their best to keep her from blushing like mad right in front of one of the two co-commanders of VIGIL. Oh jeez, this is already off to an amazing start, isn't it? Saint Lazarus clears her throat, more to buy an extra second or two to think than out of any sort of biological necessity, and then nods in agreement, folding her hands together in her lap.

"Yes, this is Fi, we've...been working together since shortly before I joined. We've made a great team in Skyside so far, and she's been thinking about joining me here in VIGIL, which I think would be a great idea," she explains, putting on her most positive and cheery smile, even though nobody in the room can even see it.

The Interview

Spoiler
    Show
    The Interview

Faith takes a few notes as Saint Laz describes the 'monk'. "I might have heard about her. Though the brief description I got doesn't seem to do her justice. She sounds like an amazing person from your description. Supposedly, VIGIL attracts that kind of people to it for various reasons and it sounds like she might have been one of your main sources of inspiration. But there must have been a reason to why you were heading to VIGIL in the first place too, right? So what did you know about the organization that ultimately made you take the same path as this monk?"

Saint Lazarus shakes her head. Faith is pretty clearly fishing for a specific kind of answer, but the ghoul knight doesn't think it's at all applicable to her. "Well, look, I know VIGIL hasn't always had the best reputation, and there's been plenty of hard times, but there's no other organization out there fighting for all of us. That's all I really needed to know to be sure I didn't want to go to MERC, honestly. That I'd be taking my sword to the bad guys. Not just the bandits and lowlifes of Skyside, or whoever some big bucks client wants dead, but the terrorist leaders, demon commanders, and apocalypse brewers who'd have us all slain or enslaved."
    Magtok's the best
    -Daniel H. Wilson

21. - Top - End - #51
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spooky Encounters]

Zee pats the flower-haired girl on the head. "Thanks, Laela, I'm hoping I might be able to catch up with the dastardly do-badder. Maybe teach her not to be a jerk to people by turning them into girls and sheep."

At least Wenomir wasn't turned into a girl AND a sheep.

That would have been terrible.

Then Bastion asks his question, which is in fact a completely reasonable question to ask.

"Well," Zee replies, bending down a bit and glancing about conspiratorially. "I might look human right now but I'm really not. I'm actually-"

Then she strikes the coolest, most heroic pose she can muster.

"An angel-dragon! Who fights badguys! Wenomir and I have helped save the world a few times together. I don't teleport, I just have to hide when I'm in my real-shape because I'm so shiny and bright it might hurt someone's eyes."

Among other things.

"Wooloo!" Lapis adds.

"Lapis wants you to know that she's an angel-dragon, too. She's my daughter, actually. But she hasn't gotten eye-hurting shiny yet," Zee informs the children. "She was hoping that maybe you kids might want to play with her until she stops being a sheep."
    [Spooky Encounters]

"There was no need for that, Cora," Wenomir says gently. "I told her to fix you three or else, and so she did. She just decided to play one last prank on me first, and didn't fix Lapis. But it wasn't worth getting my sword out and chasing her. I have to know when to hold back."
    Quote Originally Posted by Murkus View Post
    [Spooky Encounters]

"Uh, sure, we can play!" Laela says. She would have anyways, but knowing that someone as cool as Zee is Lapis' mom? Heck yeah! She wants to gush about how cool Zee seems and ask if she wants to meet her parents when they come to get her, but Laela manages to control herself a little.
    [Spooky Encounters]

"I guess..." Cora seems dissatisfied with that, but she'll accept his judgement. She's just disappointed she never really got to see Wenomir in action.

"Angel dragon? But you don't have any scales. Or wings." Bastion leans to the side as if he might find some wings hidden behind Zee's back. Wings are pretty noticeable, though. He should know.

"What kinda games can you play?" Cora says, refocusing on Lapis. "Tag, um, hide and seek?" She looks at Lapis's round body and stubby legs. Not a lot of her games are good for round sheep!

22. - Top - End - #52

[Spooky Encounters]

Zee gives a giggle in reply to Baston's questions. Of course the child with three extra limbs would be looking for them on others. "I'm just good at hiding them. But I guess I can show off a little since you're curious."

Then she bites down on her thumb, screws her eyes shut, and blows, causing her cheeks to poof out a bit in a rather silly fashion.

And when she does?

There's a little musical chime as two pairs of feathered wings and a draconic tail just kinda pop out of her. One pair of wings at her shoulders, one pair at her hips, and the tail is right above her butt because where else would a tail be? Seriously guys. Tails anywhere else are pretty strange. The scales along the underside of the tail are glossy black while the rest are a dark amber color. The wings are decorated with iridescent emerald plumage glittering with gold, a deep black eye-spot near the top of each feather.

She's trying to keep things reigned in a bit since she can get pretty spooky looking. This is a pretty good approximation.

"There, see? Wings and scales," Zee says as she gives her wings a beat, rising off the ground until the tip of her tail is hanging a few inches above it. "I'm going to see if I can't catch up with that neerdowell, Wenomir. One way or the other I'll probably be back in a few minutes. You kids have fun, okay?"

Then she gives her wings another beat and takes off-

-only to vanish once she's a hundred feet away or so.

Lapis rather lamely waves a hoof at her departing mother. Her legs are so stubby!

"Wooloo," she replies to Cora's question. Weirdly enough, Cora will be able to tell that Lapis meant that she really loves tag since it's a SUPER fun game but her legs are so tiny right now and she isn't sure how good she'll be at it but she'll try her best!

It was a very expressive bleat.

23. - Top - End - #53
    Titan in the Playground

[Training Grounds]

"You can take a room or a bunk in the barracks in the upper village," Wenomir says, turning away from Holly. "That's where our rank and file members live."

[Spooky Encounters]

"Good luck, Geneva. I'll keep an eye on the kids here," Wenomir says, waving. The children can play with Lapis until their parents show up. That should distract them a bit from the whole situation.

24. - Top - End - #54

[AMEN Debrief]

Adir is about to ask what business it is of Ilpholin's whether he makes Sakura cry or not, or hells, what he might make her cry about, but he can't find a way to word it that doesn't sound heartless. He just sort of looks like he's chewing his words. It's lucky that filterless Anika distracts them all.

"I think I did see you two like that for a little while, yeah. Uh." Don't say it, Adir. Don't. Despite all the drama and Ilpholin being returned to them, he can't help but go on, "I feel like Wenomir got the fairer end of that deal. Did they have to make you give her bod up?" He tries to put a companionable arm around the warrior, but his grin is evil. Maybe he's grateful for the distraction from the Ilpholin situation.

"Oh, hang on. Everybody on the truck again for a minute." And he'll drive them aboard the carrier.

[Spooky Encounters]

"Bye miss Zee!" Laela calls as she departs. Gosh, what a lady. It's only a shame she couldn't meet her parents. She offers Lapis a big grin in reply, however. They can probably just play until Adir and Sakura arrive to pick them up.
    Last edited by Murkus; 2020-01-06 at 08:10 PM.
    My avatar was done by Gullara. Thanks again!

"If you meet a spirit walking,
    Incline your head.
    Do not meet their gaze.
    Do not follow after."

-Things Our Mothers Tell Us

Nexus Characters

25. - Top - End - #55

[AMEN Debrief]

Tiffany gets back into the truck. She, of course, laughs at the body-swapping - it sounds like it was pretty funny and she wishes she were there to see it.

At the next opportunity she has, however, she turns to Raven. "So they made a clone of you?" she asks. "How? Why? And why show up like..." She gestures at Raven's body. "...this, in disguise? I mean, I get element of surprise and all, but wouldn't it have worked better as yourself if everybody thought you were already in there?"
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    Nexus Characters.

26. - Top - End - #56
    Ogre in the Playground

[Spooky Encounters]

Bastion's eyes go wide at that reveal.That's not what he expected at all. "Wow!" But Zee has to go, so he waves and turns back to the others.

"Okay, let's play tag. I'm in first. You're it!" She tags Laela and runs off. Tag playing can continue until some combination of parents shows up.

27. - Top - End - #57

[Spooky Encounters]

Oh boy tag!

Lapis begins running away as fast as her stumpy sheep legs can carry her but they really aren't that well made for running.

More like...

Waddling.

Or hobbling.

She tries turning a little too fast and finds herself tipping!

Oh no!

She's tipping too much!

"Wooloo!" she laments as she begins rolling out of control.

28. - Top - End - #58
    Titan in the Playground

[AMEN Debrief]

Wenomir sighs, but decides to play along. As humiliating as it was back then, there's no reason to make the mood even more sour now.

"As far as bodies to be stuck in go, Anika's really is a fine one," he admits. "We still don't know who did it. There was this perverted pixie necromancer who attacked us with clothes-melting gas, but she didn't do the body swap in the first place. At least I got the Answer back once we managed to meet up."

The skyship begins ascending back towards the island.

29. - Top - End - #59
    Pixie in the Playground

Allfather?

Lapis has a vague understanding of various gods and mythologies from her mom's homeworld. Wasn't that the god some people used to worship who had the two pet birds?

But before she can ask any further questions she's yoinked away!

Woop!

"Oh, yeah! They're all over the place. Some of them mom made like me. But there are two who she just adopted. They aren't quite as tough since they're just kids so they don't get dangerous missions but that's okay since I don't mind doing dangerous stuff! I love being helpful it's great!"

Even is most of her helpfulness is just keeping the VIGIL grounds clean and trimmed.

"If I get killed here that just means I get booted out of the Game, so it isn't too bad. I could probably just play around in the Fields of Eden until mom is able to bring me back down here again. I haven't seen Eden before but I just KNOW it's super pretty and I would love it. But I love it here too since there are so many nice people I can help! Do you have a favorite game mine's catching birds! The birds are always really scared for a little while but they find out real quite that I'm nice there's this really weird one though that I don't think is really a bird."

That one's the weirdest.

Asher isn't put off one bit by Lapis' constant stream of words, in fact he finds it fun and refreshing! Mortals are always hiding what they really think once they get past a certain age. So do angels, but for his kind it's more because of wisdom and less out of a desire to look better or seem mysterious. He listens attentively, nodding as she tells all about being helpful and agreeing. "I know, right?! Being helpful is awesome, even though my helpfulness is limited to making the kids of GLoG happy right now!"

He gasps and claps his hands, his wings twitching as she mentions death. "We too! Our meat bodies have angelic features, but if we die here - which is really hard to do - we return to our realm for a time and come back later! If your Eden is anything like our Paradise, you'll love it, it's awesome, there's nothing bad there at all!"

Ruth observes the two angel kids playing, and speaks up, revealing her intent to leave. "I must go, Lapis Lazuli. I have responsibilities to attend to in GLoG. Asher can stay until he is ready to leave. As soon as I am able, I shall find your mother and siblings, and make myself known to them." Stepping forward to pat both of them's heads, which Asher definitely enjoys, she bids them goodbye, steps out of the fort and takes to the skies, teleporting to the forest outside GLoG once she's well in the air. She enjoys walking through the League's forests, after all.

"My hobby is talking to the animals, and I really like bears! I have a friend, a baby bear! I'll bring him next time! Can you call some of your bird friends here, so we can play with them? If you don't understand them then I can translate!" He parrots, grinning widely. "And also I like to use my sand shaping to make sandcastles, sometimes big enough that I can go inside and play in them!"
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

30. - Top - End - #60

"Bye! Have fun doing grownup stuff!" Lapis calls after the departing adult.

"I'm really good at understanding what things are saying because I inherited my quintessence from mom. But maybe when I get older I'll get my one maybe? Mom was created as a cherub by HER mom but as she grew and changed and stuff she became something else when she got different spheres. I guess that's normal? All the ranked angels are different from unranked ones like me,"
    Lapis rambles.

Then?

"Oooh, I've never seen a bear that isn't Anika before. She's an elf that turns into a bear she's pretty cool. I think meeting a real bear could be fun! Do you want to try catching some birds the weird one might be around somewhere I think it like watching me but I'm not sure why. It's kind of orange and black with a great big feathery thing on its head like this!"

And then she stretches out little ear-wings above her head and holds them together, giving her a funny feathery, leafy mohawk.

"C'mon I bet it's around somewhere!" she says as she sticks her head out of her fort and begins looking around.

Now where's that hoopoe at?