Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Default Building a Starter Village with Tortle Monastery

Hi everyone!

I want to create a new starter village for a new campaign setting. At the moment I don't want to create too much of the world and start just with the first village and surroundings. And for that I would like to get inspired a bit - so if you are interested in Brainstorming...

What I've got so far is very rudimentary and doesn't have yet really conflicts established

• Small fishing and farming village
    • Located where a river leaves a lake
    • A bit of farmland but mostly surrounded by a swamp or bog (with sunken ruins?)
    • Some ancient woodland nearby (who lives there?), somewhere else at the lake shore there's a logging settlement (relationship?)
    • Orginally mostly a Tortle settlement there is now a large human population (40%?)
    • Some individuals from other races possible, but no Player Handbook Races except Humans and Half-Orcs for NPCs (for a different flavor)
    • Half-Orc Smith?
    • Has grown around a fortified Tortle Monastery (at least some of the inhabitants should be of the Monk class)
    • The Monastery was once more important, but then it lost importance for some reason
    • Depending on the actions of the PCs the Monastery may regain importance (attracting pilgrims?)
    • Something hidden in the lake?

Any ideas how to flesh it out? People? Politics? Places? Peligion?
    Last edited by Wasp; 2019-12-30 at 08:50 AM.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Default Re: Building a Starter Village with Tortle Monastery

Well, there's obviously a dragon turtle in the lake. The tortle monastery is responsible for keeping the beast docile/asleep.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

Quote Originally Posted by the_david View Post
    Well, there's obviously a dragon turtle in the lake. The tortle monastery is responsible for keeping the beast docile/asleep.
    Definitely! It's so obvious ;-)

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

Building on the Dragon turtle point, maybe the Dragon turtle guards a holy relic of the tortle diety.

Maybe the settlement attracts treasure hunters that frequently conflict with the tortle pilgrims.

Another possibility that human & half-orc metal workers are deforesting the area, which is really screwing with the local dryads, who are seeking to summon some druidic assistance.
    Beautiful Avatar thanks to Gengy

Hangs out on the World building forums

Giantitp projects: Caligoven the toxic seas, Baalbek Empire!3, Coatl Empire!4, Short and sweet world building
    Personal stuff: World of Tieg, Nexus: City of the Multiverse, Forgotten Planet Lost Between 2 stars, World of the 9 gates
    Spoiler: The gift that keeps on giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving
    Show
    Spoiler: and giving some more
    Show
    Spoiler: Metric tons of giving
    Show
    Spoiler: Keep going
    Show
    Spoiler: Suprise
    Show

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

HalflingPirate

The tortles have a dark secret beneath their monastery: ages ago a corrupt tortle priest spawned a cambion which is now trapped in a maze over which the monastery was built. Only the seniormost staff know of this. The dragon turtles relic is the key to the cambion's prison.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Barbarian in the Playground

DwarfBarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Definitely! It's so obvious ;-)
    I know that I've suggested a dragon turtle in the lake, but I take it back. It obviously has to be an elder tojanida.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

For a slightly darker turn --

The village is currently heavily divided since a human child started manifesting strange magic powers and went MAD WITH SCIENCE and warping some of the lake and woodland creatures into strange mutant forms. The tortles see her as a threat while the humans want to protect her. The human leadership, however, see her as a potential weapon to take control of the area....

People report gaining small cuts and wounds appearing suddenly with no pain or explanation, but never seem to be looking in the right direction to see what is causing it...

Half of the members of a recent caravan of human traders to the village has disappeared into thin air. The other half have shown up floating facedown in the lake or stark raving mad.

---------------
    The reason for all these happenings, of course, is that the town is built on a dangerously unstable rift/crossroads between realities. The artifact guarded by the tortle monastery was a stabilizer of reality which protected the area, but the human caravan was in fact a cover for a cult that desired the artifact. They stole it and murdered the elder tojainda (though its many angry spawn will still challenge any entering the lake), and reality is slowly unravelling in the area.

This serves a few purposes -- it gives a hook (returning the stolen artifact) should they wish to expand the campaign past the village, allows you to put in a lot of unexplained events and monsters (explaining a lot of random encounter type stuff), and inflames tensions between humans and tortles to allow for a secondary political objective if your players enjoy that. Lastly, it allows the area to natively spawn higher and higher level challenges to reflect reality unravelling, which fixes a lot of the suspension of disbelief issues that sometimes come from wondering where these high level NPCs appeared from all of a sudden.
    My Homebrew:
    WIP
    The Fortunar Base Class: A Fortuneteller wielding a minor Deck of Many Things. Mid T3.

Completed Classes
    The Grandmaster : A master of animated stattuettes and tactical magic. High tier 3.
    The Hidden Word: An infiltrator with a wide range of abilities that works best in small teams. Tier 2-3
    Web-Spinner: A martial class based around using webs. Mid T3.
    The True Warrior: A swift mundane martial combat class that can dodge and slice their way to victory. Low Tier 3.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Orc in the Playground

RogueGirl

I really like where this brainstorming is going. If we have some nature warping I could see some kind of turtle swamp witch as an NPC - maybe a Tortle Spore Druid that is both dangerous and helpful in the Baba Yaga vein. Inspired by The Neverending sory she could be named "Morla".

Oh and talking about inspiration: What about Pizza for the Monk Tortles?

9. - Top - End - #9
    Stranger in the Playground Moderator Ventruenox's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wasp View Post
    Oh and talking about inspiration: What about Pizza for the Monk Tortles?
    Only if you name the monastery K'b'n'ga and an important NPC Eastman Laird.
    Forum Rules. If you need me to address a thread as a Moderator, please include a link.