Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 13 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: The Great Star Wars Watchthrough

Also hot take, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep is the best Star Wars sequel.

Think about it.

Mark Hamill is training a new crop of people to use super special swords, but an Obvious Baddie starts tempting the dumb beefcake one towards the darkness so that he can steal a new body because his own is old and busted.

It's all there. Nomura knew.

2. - Top - End - #362
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Bobb View Post
    Harley Quinn shows up. She's worried about him. He's been missing from the game too long. Doesn't he want to have some fun?
    Batman Beyond would like to have some words with you.
    The Mod on the Silver Mountain avatars by the wonderfully talented Cuthalion!

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Spoiler: Avatar collection
    Show
    Spoiler: Come down with fire
    Show
    Spoiler: Lift my spirit higher
    Show
    Spoiler: Someone's screaming my name
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Your bread looks like a rotary phone.
    This right here, is some prime quality culinary critique.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Also hot take, Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep is the best Star Wars sequel.

Think about it.

Mark Hamill is training a new crop of people to use super special swords, but an Obvious Baddie starts tempting the dumb beefcake one towards the darkness so that he can steal a new body because his own is old and busted.

It's all there. Nomura knew.
    I'd also like to throw in Final Fantasy XII as a contender. Evil Empire, resistance lead by a Princess, nobody kiddo getting caught up in it and having to help save the day, evil spirits trying to control everything, twins playing an important role in the plot. The list just goes on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

4. - Top - End - #364
    Ettin in the Playground

Flumph

5. - Top - End - #365
    Ogre in the Playground

I wouldn't quite say every, some just have passing references, but definitely a good number do. Bonus points for XII though, it starts in a desert and has the infiltration of an imperial stronghold and a jailbreak (the first of several to be fair) as part of its first act. Probably helps that I'm currently replaying XII as well for the connections to sit out so clearly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockphed View Post
    Dwarf Fortress would like to have a word with you. The word is decorated with bands of microcline and meanaces with spikes of rose gold. On the word is an image of the word in cinnabar.
    Quote Originally Posted by kpenguin View Post
    This is an image of Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses engraved in sandstone. Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses is leaving Trotknives. Trotknives is on fire and full of goblins. This image refers to the destruction of Trotknives in late winter of 109 by Wookietank the Destroyer of Fortresses.

6. - Top - End - #366
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Saph View Post
    I didn't give it an E- because I can still theoretically think of ways in which it could be worse. Although not much worse. In terms of enjoyment this was the worst experience I've had watching a movie for years.
    This is fair.

I do hope the movie hasn't broken you and that you can still enjoy star wars again (and review the remainder) but understand if you just want to forget the whole thing.

Sperately I posted this after your part 1 or 3 - wonder if you agree with it now that you have seen it all:
    Quote Originally Posted by dancrilis View Post
    I look forward to your thoughts on the remainder of The Last Jedi (in my opinion you have seen what could be called the 'good' pieces of the movie - so if you decided to pack it in and just move to Rise of Skywalker I would not blame you).
    But then I could understand you might not want to break the terrible into individual terrible pieces to judge which of this pieces is least/most terrible.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Ettin in the Playground

While I agree that there is some influence of Star Wars in Final Fantasy, I think the author of that article is really reaching. Final Fantasy and Star Wars both draw on old, commonly-used archetypes in fantasy and science fiction, most of which pre-date Star Wars. The original Star Wars wasn't famous for the originality of its plot: it is famous for telling a simple, classic story well using what at the time were groundbreaking special effects.

The similarities the article points out between Golbez and Darth Vader do suggest that one may have been influenced by the other (as are the similarities between Vader and Leon from FF2, which aren't mentioned in the article). On the other hand, the article also alleges that Tellah must have been inspired by Obi-Wan just because both of them were mentors who died, which...makes it sound like the author hasn't read any pre-Star Wars fantasy. Would that author say that Gandalf was inspired by Obi-Wan?

8. - Top - End - #368

Quote Originally Posted by 137ben View Post
    Would that author say that Gandalf was inspired by Obi-Wan?
    Why else did Gandalf have a beard and magic powers?

If anyone has a crayon drawing they would like to put on the Kickstarter Reward Collection Thread, PM me.
    Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

9. - Top - End - #369
    Titan in the Playground

I devoutly hope this continues, I'd love a reaction to Episode IX: That Garbagefire

10. - Top - End - #370
    Firbolg in the Playground

DrowGuy

Why else did Gandalf have a beard and magic powers?
    Boccob would like to have a word with you.

11. - Top - End - #371

Planetar

Solo (1/2)

Introduction

The second of the Disney side stories, Solo is famous mostly for being the first ever Star Wars box office bomb. Critics liked it, audiences didnít. The director apparently blamed the poor box office take on Ďonline trollsí. Fans were more likely to blame it on blowback from The Last Jedi. Having personally seen just how bad Episode VIII was, Iím inclined to take the fansí side on this one, but that does at least open up the hope that maybe this film is better. And hey, as Disney feels the need to remind us at least once per movie, Star Wars is all about hope, right?

Thoughts While Watching

• A long time ago, yadda yadda yadda . . . . STAR WARS wait, no, we open with ĎIt is a lawless timeí. Well, thatís different.
    • íThe foul Lady Proximaí. Wait, a Star Wars movie with a female villain? Really?
    • We meet Solo and his girlfriend. Itís actually kind of hard to see much, the movie is so dark.
    • Ah, okay. ĎLady Proximaí is a giant centipede monster. Thatís more in line with what I expected.
    • The aesthetic of the city during the chase scene feels like a daylight version of Blade Runner. I canít decide if it feels Star Wars-y or not. Less so than Rogue One, anyway.
    • Han and his girlfriend (I think her nameís Kira) try to bribe their way onto a ship with a cylinder of hyperfuel. Is that really going to work?
    • Almost. Han gets through, Kira doesnít. Heís left yelling that heíll come back as sheís led away.
    • Han is hiding from the stormtroopers arresting everyone but him, when he sees an Imperial recruitment ad. It plays a cartoony version of the Imperial March, which is kind of funny.
    • The scene with the Imperial recruitment officer is making me think that itíd actually be pretty fun to see a Star Wars story from the point of view of Empire rank-and-filers (you know, what TFA and TLJ failed to do with Finn). Probably never going to happen though.
    • The war scene makes me think of the 40k Imperial Guard. Which would also make for a really good movie.
    • Itís short-lived though. Han gets arrested and sentenced to death.
    • Han meets Chewie. I think I liked the way they did it in the Young Han Solo books better.
    • Now Han and Chewie are with a new gang. Personally I donít think Iíd want to rely on a guy who tried to get me executed for desertion, but I guess growing up in a criminal underworld gets you used to very low standards.
    • Train heist! The switching direction of gravity is kind of cool.
    • End result, two of the criminals are dead and no payoff. The boss isnít happy, but lets Han sign up with him anyway.
    • Han, Beckett (I think thatís his name) and Chewie go to meet Gangster Boss No. 4 or so. This one seems to live in a giant hovering pillar thatís flying around the same snowy mountains that they just did the train heist on. The pillarís got a fancy bar at the top of it. Iím a bit confused, honestly. I guess everything in this section of the story takes place in a very small area?
    • And Han meets Qiíra (apparently thatís how you spell her name). Heís very happy to see her. Sheís moderately happy to see him.
    • The current boss (Dryden) is being set up to be a lot more threatening than the centipede monster.
    • You know, it just occurred to me . . . you know how Han and the sky pirate guy were pulling the crate of fuel in opposite directions, drifting towards the mountain, and Han cut the cable rather than fly into the mountain? Couldnít Han have just turned towards the other guys? Anyway, I think weíre due to meet Lando.
    • Yup, Lando. Thereís a sabacc game. Itís kind of fun, but again, itís so dark itís hard to see whatís going on.
    • Apparently Lando has a weird annoying droid. I think sheís supposed to be comic relief or something.
    • And we see the Millenium Falcon. It looks pretty different from how I remember it.
    • Han falls in love with the Falcon, the droid continues to be annoying (her relationship with Lando is kind of creepy) and they jump into hyperspace at the halfway point.

First Half Thoughts

So far the movieís . . . okay.

Iím not really having much of a reaction to anything in the film so far. Itís not bad or anything Ė nowhere near as awful as TLJ Ė but itís not exciting either. Hard to put my finger on what the issue is. It might be that thereís just not much investment. We know that Hanís going to end up with the Falcon, we know that heís going to end up best friends with Chewie, we know heís going to end up reasonably good friends with Lando, and we know the relationship with the girlfriend is one hundred per cent doomed.

I guess my biggest issue with the movie so far is that none of the backstory weíre getting told here feels very necessary. Thereís no big mystery to Hanís past Ė heís not a confusing character. When we first meet him in A New Hope, we figure out who he is and what he is very quickly. So while this is all filling in Hanís history, Iím not sure he actually needed it.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #10 in the series, Fallen, is out as of September 2019. For updates, check my blog!

12. - Top - End - #372

I think instead of scamming his way into any then out of the Imperial military, they should have had him looking to join by seeing it as a way out; a bright and shining beacon, willing to train him to fly, let him fly, and pay him all the while. And then have him slowly be disillusioned and realize how dirty the Empire really is. Maybe not as the whole movie, but a good bit at least. Everyone is always talking about seeing things from the other side, and that would have been a fantastic way to do such a thing.

Show
    Show
    Show
    Show

13. - Top - End - #373
    Halfling in the Playground

Flumph

I think instead of scamming his way into any then out of the Imperial military, they should have had him looking to join by seeing it as a way out; a bright and shining beacon, willing to train him to fly, let him fly, and pay him all the while. And then have him slowly be disillusioned and realize how dirty the Empire really is. Maybe not as the whole movie, but a good bit at least. Everyone is always talking about seeing things from the other side, and that would have been a fantastic way to do such a thing.
    Pretty much his old EU arc really. I might have liked that better.

I can't argue with the reaction to Solo. When I saw it the first time, I was underwhelmed. I enjoyed it, but nothing really popped out at me. We ended up seeing it after a busy day though and my son was exhausted and fell asleep. He really wanted to see the rest, so I took him to a matinee, and, I don't know, the movie just clicked for me on viewing two. My son still likes watching it on TV, and I do too. It's sort of the Ant-Man of the Star Wars films. It's not necessary for understanding much of anything, it's not epic or consequential, it's just a fun little adventure with some good characters.

More than anything though, I really want to see what the Lord & Miller version of this movie would have been.

14. - Top - End - #374
    Titan in the Playground

So far the movieís . . . okay.
    Yeah, pretty much. There's some good moments, but other than a particular one near the end, and Lando's actor doing a noticeably good job (I'd see Lando movie with him as the star), it's kind of forgettable. Not bad, not good, just kind of there.
    Toph Pony avatar by Dirtytabs. Thanks!

"When I was ten, I read fairy tales in secret and would have been ashamed if I had been found doing so. Now that I am fifty, I read them openly. When I became a man, I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." -C.S. Lewis

"We each decide our own sense of right and wrong. The rest, I leave to my sword." - Yuri Lowell, Tales of Vesperia

15. - Top - End - #375

Planetar

I don't know if it's just me, but the more of these movies I see, the more sympathetic I get to the Empire. The way that every single Star Wars movie goes out of its way to make the Empire over-the-top puppy-kicking evil just makes it really hard to take seriously. After a while it starts to feel like you're watching wartime propaganda or something. I'd really like a series from the Empire's point of view like that TIE Fighter short.
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and Book #10 in the series, Fallen, is out as of September 2019. For updates, check my blog!

16. - Top - End - #376
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zevox View Post
    Yeah, pretty much. There's some good moments, but other than a particular one near the end, and Lando's actor doing a noticeably good job (I'd see Lando movie with him as the star), it's kind of forgettable. Not bad, not good, just kind of there.
    I disagree. Don Glover is funny and a good comedian, but I never got the impression that he was Lando. He just seemed like Don Glover shoved into Star Wars. He lacks a certain something Billy Dee Williams had when when he played the character.

17. - Top - End - #377

DrowGuy

Hoo-Ray a Solo review.

18. - Top - End - #378
    Troll in the Playground

I don't know if it's just me, but the more of these movies I see, the more sympathetic I get to the Empire.
    The Empire are basically just space Nazis. I don't understand how anyone could feel sympathetic to them.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Titan in the Playground

Exclamation Re: The Great Star Wars Watchthrough

Quote Originally Posted by TheSummoner View Post
    I disagree. Don Glover is funny and a good comedian, but I never got the impression that he was Lando. He just seemed like Don Glover shoved into Star Wars. He lacks a certain something Billy Dee Williams had when when he played the character.
    That's perfectly fair. I just really like Donald Glover, so I was okay with it.

Plus, I watched this after watching Star Wars 9, so by comparison it was amazing.

20. - Top - End - #380
    Ogre in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Quote Originally Posted by JadedDM View Post
    The Empire are basically just space Nazis. I don't understand how anyone could feel sympathetic to them.
    It's more about how much the Books/novels/comics/games of Legends, and the New Canon material made the Republic in any form such a load of losers and useless idiots. The Republic in the past proved pretty much broke without the Jedi, and the New Republic in legends or canon didn't do a great job. Legends New Republic actually managed to build a pretty effective system and ran things decently well, but not great.

Canon New Republic on the other hand...Well, they took a long dive into crazy, abandoned almost their entire military, went with no central authority, and pretty much left everyone to their own devices. So from the Iron clad Empire to No support to be found and the New Republic won't be there to help out really. Which makes the Canto Bight bit even worse. Why are the weapons dealers get that much money? Probably by selling to all of the groups/gangs/governments that have to rely on themselves because the New Republic cannot be bothered. Plus then there is the Resistance buying too.

Maybe Rose should have gone to the New Republic leadership and told them to develop a police force. They don't even have the Jedi to help out either.

It makes destroying the Empire come across as bad for everyone. It may have treated everyone pretty horrible, but it did maintain some control. There doesn't seem to be much with the New Republic.

Then there is the TIE fighter game and others. Plus the Empire just has the nice tools/stuff that just looks cool
    Blog Read and Comment! I use green for joking and Blue for sarcasm.
    Published two Kindle Books on Amazon, both are 99 cents. Ask Me about them!
    Wookiee. 2 E's. [I am obsessed with this]
    My First Let's Play -- Temporary Haitus (I plan to get back to it eventually)

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by russdm View Post
    Then there is the TIE fighter game and others. Plus the Empire just has the nice tools/stuff that just looks cool
    You understand, though, where the Empire's 'cool look' comes from, right? Lucas didn't make it up whole-cloth from his own imagination, it's pretty clearly based on a real world aesthetic.

22. - Top - End - #382
    Titan in the Playground

You understand, though, where the Empire's 'cool look' comes from, right? Lucas didn't make it up whole-cloth from his own imagination, it's pretty clearly based on a real world aesthetic.
    Eh. Costumes are costumes. I still think the Samurai look cool and Iíve read what happened during [insert invasion I canít name because the mods are ridiculous] and Hell I enjoy the Roman legionnaire look despite the numerous times [did naughty things] during [events].

You can still think something looks cool, regardless of itís influence. And Hell I donít even think itís entirely wrong to humanize actual [really bad people] from Jojo Rabbit, Generation War, and Das Boot.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Bugbear in the Playground

I still haven't seen Solo, so this is interesting. It wasn't some backlash to TLJ for me, there just was no particular reason I wanted to see this story.

24. - Top - End - #384
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphire Guard View Post
    I still haven't seen Solo, so this is interesting. It wasn't some backlash to TLJ for me, there just was no particular reason I wanted to see this story.
    The average movie goer had no idea that there was a backlash against Last Jedi. For most people it's just that no one wanted this movie, it wasn't advertised well. And it came out at a poor time.

And Critics didn't like the movie, they just didn't hate it. It got a resounding Meh from the critical community.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Kekkersboy

My gaming and ideas channel.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Dwarf in the Playground

SwashbucklerGuy

For me in the last jedi what if luke said that HE cant redeem kylo because you know. He wont listen to the one that tried to kill him in his sleep. And he was away on ach to because if he showed himself or something he would be forced to kill Kylo which he doesnt want to do?

26. - Top - End - #386

Planetar

Because their portrayal is so ridiculous. 99.9% of the Empire members we ever see are either cartoonishly evil or mindless, nameless mooks. And the only things the Empire ever seems to do is brutalise people and use all its resources to build planet-destroying superweapons (which immediately get blown up).

After a while it gets impossible to take seriously, and it starts to feel like lazy storytelling. The writers just want a monolithically evil villain so that they don't count as humans when the protagonists kill them.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Ogre in the Playground

PaladinGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Devonix View Post
    The average movie goer had no idea that there was a backlash against Last Jedi. For most people it's just that no one wanted this movie, it wasn't advertised well. And it came out at a poor time.

That was kinda the problem, though. The people who would have been most excited for the movie weren't the average movie goer, but would at least be the people who went to TLJ, and they definitely would have been aware of the backlash. For those who weren't like that, they wouldn't have had that, but then wouldn't have any particular reason to go see the movie either.

Quote Originally Posted by Saph
    Because their portrayal is so ridiculous. 99.9% of the Empire members we ever see are either cartoonishly evil or mindless, nameless mooks. And the only things the Empire ever seems to do is brutalise people and use all its resources to build planet-destroying superweapons (which immediately get blown up).
    And yet they're STILL portrayed as more competent and menacing than the First Order is [grin].
    BSG PBF record on BGG: 15 - 17.

"For a nice guy, you're kind of a jerk" - Ayane, P4: The Animation

"Stop saving the world and get a hobby" - Seto Kaiba

28. - Top - End - #388

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Daimbert View Post
    And yet they're STILL portrayed as more competent and menacing than the First Order is [grin].
    The First Order are basically Empire cosplayers anyway.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

And the only things the Empire ever seems to do is brutalise people ...
    We don't really see this in the movies.
    A New Hope: Destruction of Alderaan - probably justified as they had been supporting the rebellion from its foundations, it would be the equivalent of destroying the Death Star (and the movie doesn't tell us which explosion cost more lives).
    Empire Strikes Back: Vader killed some officers and effectively seized Cloud City. Vader was indicated in A New Hope to be something of a wild dog only held at bay by Tarkin, so him acting up likely should not be taken as representative of the Empire as a whole - and Cloud City was highly suspicious so law enforcement likely would want to take a look at it (and they didn't seem to harm its people).
    Return of the Jedi: The Empire didn't really do much of anything, merely began to rebuild a military base.

From a certain point of view the Empire doesn't really look any worse then the Republic.

30. - Top - End - #390
    Ettin in the Playground

We don't really see this in the movies.
    A New Hope: Destruction of Alderaan - probably justified as they had been supporting the rebellion from its foundations, it would be the equivalent of destroying the Death Star (and the movie doesn't tell us which explosion cost more lives).
    Alderaan is an entire planet with a government and everything. The Death Star is a military ship comparing the two is simply ludicrous.
    Empire Strikes Back: Vader killed some officers and effectively seized Cloud City. Vader was indicated in A New Hope to be something of a wild dog only held at bay by Tarkin, so him acting up likely should not be taken as representative of the Empire as a whole - and Cloud City was highly suspicious so law enforcement likely would want to take a look at it (and they didn't seem to harm its people).
    Vader was given a fleet to command and is reporting to the Emperor so no, he isn't a lone wolf. And Cloud City isn't part of the Empire. It gets conquered and invaded. Also, how is it highly suspicious? It's a mining operation and Han gently mocks Londo for having becomed "respectable"?
    Return of the Jedi: The Empire didn't really do much of anything, merely began to rebuild a military base.
    They invaded the Ewoks' land.
    "Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced."
    Gehm's corollary to Clarke's Third Law

Forum Wisdom

the Vector Legion [is the IFCC's new pawns], mark my words. Way too much unfinished business there and they already know about the Gates.
    I'll take that bet.