New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #271
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Astarieth, Judgment

Astarieth is getting impatient at the woman who keeps stabbing him. He needs to help Inian. As she Sings he goes for body blows. hoping to crack enough ribs to put her on the ground.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Fighting (pull punches) (1d6)[1](1d6)[6] check digit: (1d6)[5]
    Dodge: (1d6)[4](1d6)[3] check digit: (1d6)[2]
    Perception: (1d6)[2](1d6)[6] check digit: (1d6)[5]

Note to self: get more things to do in combat and stop getting nerfed by enemy Songs.

2. - Top - End - #272
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Carol simply followed along mutely, the unacknowledged celestial clangs and crashes coming louder still. It was hard to tell who was winning. Near impossible when it gets bloody. They finally arrived at the bike, she grimaced guiltily at the voice message, turning away at an odd stab of envy. When the moment passed, she touched Brittany lightly on the arm. “All fires have flashpoints, right? This is just a small flicker in our expansion. Gillian can handle herself; let alone with Balrog around. It’s going to be okay.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-07-27 at 04:05 AM.

3. - Top - End - #273
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Gillian dodge (3d6)[3][1][6](10)
    Gillian attack (if not stunned) (3d6)[3][3][2](8)

Balrog strike Inian (3d6)[5][4][5](14)
    Jerechial strike Balrog (3d6)[2][2][5](9)
    Balrog Dodge (3d6)[6][4][5](15)
    Balrog Acro (3d6)[5][4][1](10)

Thug dodge Inian (3d6)[5][2][6](13)
    Thug pistol (3d6)[5][6][5](16)
    Thug knife (3d6)[2][2][5](9)

Flavius Sing (3d6)[1][6][2](9)

Gillian manages an impressive dodge, but her knifeblade fails to penetrate through Astarieth's padded jacket. She glances towards the alcove behind her, then yells, "The girls are innocent. Half-drugged so they won't remember what's happening. Will you let them go free?"
    The scorn in her voice makes it clear what she anticipates of angelic mercy, but the desperation in her voice shows some sincere care for their well-being.

Within the Shield, Rezzial is about to strike down the prone djinn, but Flavius lets out a Song and vanishes before the Malakim can strike. Rezzial contents himself with hitting Rickman's head with the handle of his sword, leaving the Soldier unconscious.
    The sword of light shimmers, becoming celestial, and swipes at Trip's celestial body. That the sword then passes through the wall and out of the room implies that Trip is fleeing in celestial form.

Inian's blow hits the thug, but the man managed to get most of the blow to his shoulder. You hear it dislocate and he grunts in pain, but still shoots his pistol at the Ofanite--thankfully missing and hitting the ceiling instead. The one with a knife stabs well into Inian's gut, but the hardened flesh repels the blow.
    Balrog, however, strikes with the strength and skill he showed prior. His blow connects with Inian -- barely, but connects -- and even the hardened flesh gives way slightly. The Power of War is protecting Inian, but Balrog is fierce indeed.

Meanwhile, Jerechial strikes at Balrog, leaving a bloody mark across the beast's left flank. He tells the mafiosos, "Get your leader and get to an alcove. Give us cover fire." The remaining mafiosos nod in assent, grabbing Igor and one of their other wounded, regrouping in a safer position whilst firing shots to help keep the gangsters at bay.
    Manakel moves to the mafiosos to help give covering fire. His shot shatters the head of a Burnt who has grown claws. The relative lack of Noise from the blow implies the man was either undead or that killing gangsters who were trying to burn you alive is befitting the Role of a police officer.

Spoiler: resolution
    Show

Enemies dodged well today.

Gillian and Astarieth fail to hurt each other.
    You learn that, if the blade fails to do any damage, it does not do its extra-damage power.

Inian fails to do enough damage to the thug to hurt him, but he misses his shot. The other thug fails to do enough damage to hurt Inian.
    Balrog does 1 damage to Inian.
    Jerechial did good damage on Balrog.

Flavius Sang Celestial Motion and escaped.
    Rezzial KOed Rickman.
    Trip fled in celesital form, but Manakel's Sword is still hitting him.

Camael, Redemption

Brittany looks a touch more relaxed at Carol's kind reassurance.
    "Tonight's definitely not going how I thought it would. But at least you and I are getting closer. ...Carol, depending on how that fight goes, we might need to lay low for a few days. If something happens to Balrog, I'm not sure what'll happen. You stay safe."

Show
    No worries for envy. Gillian will probably be dead or imprisoned soon. :P

Also, a Noise Perception at TN above-12-by-now
    (3d6)[6][2][3](11)
    (3d6)[5][5][5](15)

From somewhere, still in the Pits but not near the fight, you sense someone going celestial.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-24 at 08:57 AM.

4. - Top - End - #274
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inian sighs when the gangster tries to stab him, but that quickly turns into a gasp as Balrog's fist hits his stomach hard enough to blow the air from his lungs. The cuts and bruises he's sustained tonight are starting to build up and by now he's starting to suspect he's going to find out he's got some busted ribs once the adrenaline wears off. He launches another attack at the gun-wielding gangster, wishing that these mortals had the good sense to know when they were outmatched and run so that he could concentrate on the more interesting fighters.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack:(3d6)[4][6][3](13)
    Dodge:(3d6)[4][2][1](7)
    Acrobatics:(3d6)[5][6][6](17)
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

5. - Top - End - #275

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

It is annoying to have a conversation from behind raised fists. Astarieth growls at the girl - "Drop the knife and surrender and I will treat you all fairly." He punctuates the comments with a couple left jabs and a right hook, hoping to finally knock out the dodgy minx.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Fighting: (1d6)[1](1d6)[3] check digit: (1d6)[1]
    Dodge: (1d6)[5](1d6)[6] check digit: (1d6)[2]
    Perception: (1d6)[6](1d6)[1] check digit: (1d6)[1]

If it can be used at this point, resonance on Gillian: (1d6)[4](1d6)[2] check digit: (1d6)[1]. Does a right hook count as contact?

Also: WOW, that debuff the soldier at the door put on Astarieth hurt way more than I thought it would.

6. - Top - End - #276

RedKnightGirl

A sound somewhere between the whisper of a zipper being undone and an onion layer being peeled off crackled from the direction they came. Knowing the telltale noise of someone adopting their true form, she hide her annoyance behind a veil of ignorance, as she should have earlier. Too nearby to be a shackled Manakel being forced to abandon his officer disguise, or a Fire celestial fleeing a sudden Warzone, she imaged an overly curious bartender taking a second glance on the way out.

If the best thing for us is to lay low for a while, I can do that. Go through the motions while you figure things out. This isn’t how I thought things would go, either. ” Carol sighed heavily. “Do you mind giving me a drop back to the city centre at least? I can pick up a taxi from there. No one will spot you dropping me off at uni, that way.

7. - Top - End - #277
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: rolls/mechanical note on Resonance
    Show

Using your Resonance counts as a celestial action, so you can't do both that and attack in the same round. Activating it would be your action.
    You could do it alongside a roll to try to touch her, but you wouldn't deal damage (as little sense as that makes.)

Gillian Will (3d6)[3][2][5](10)
    Gillian dodge (3d6)[2][1][2](5)
    Thug dodge Inian (3d6)[1][2][6](9)

Thug shoot (3d6)[2][2][5](9)
    Thug stab (3d6)[3][6][1](10)

Jerechial stab (3d6)[1][5][2](8)

Balrog Dodge Jerry (3d6)[3][2][1](6)
    Acrobatics Jerry (3d6)[1][3][4](8)

Gillian glares at Astarieth as his fist connects with her jaw, but she's still conscious and angry. Still, she sighs, drops the knife, and puts her hands up. She forces the words out: "I surrender."

On the other end, Jerechial slashes at Balrog, but the monster of a man manages to do a backflip off the wall and dodge the blow entirely. Inian's punch connects with the gun-toting thug, but the man's shoulder again soaks the blow and this time he seems able to tolerate the shock of it. While the knife-wielding one fails to connect, the injured one shoots well. Inian feels the bullet lodge somewhere near his ribs, although his hardened skin stopped it from making a large hole.

Inside the Shield, there is an odd calm. Rezzial has an annoyed look on his face with no foes to fight, but takes out some cloth. He both gags Rickman and ties the man's hands together. The laywer will need to be quite adept at his Songs if he hopes to Sing any when he regains consciousness.

The mafiosos and Manakel are making good headway against the remaining gangsters, relatively safe in their alcove. A handful in one corner have managed to break a window and are fleeing in a disorderly fashion.
    However, Balrog then screams out: "BURN!!! If I'm going to Hell, I'm taking you with me!" A small surge of Noise comes from him as some essence is spent, but then a roar as nearly everything around him erupts in flames. Thankfully, the building itself is mostly metal. Yet liquor bottles shatter as their contents combust. Wooden tables and the foam of folding chairs erupt into flame. The pyre from which Manakel was freed erupts into a raging bonfire. And clothing...
    Inian, Jerechial, and Astarieth see their clothes start to burn. Perhaps to Astarieth's surprise, Gillian also starts to panick as her scant clothing also catches flame. A scream of pain slightly recognizable as the stoic Manakel comes from the alcove, where you can see the mafiosos are suffering a similar fate. Manakel himself is covered with fire; Astarieth remembers the smell of gasoline from the pyre, and the likelihood the angel was doused with it as well.

The gangsters still present, their clothing notably absent of fire, cheer.

The radius of the fire does not extend to where Rickman or Rezzial stand.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

Balrog used the Incendiary Servitor Attunement.
    You take 1d6 damage next round, but you can use your action to put out the flames so that you don't continue to take 1d6 each round. (No damage this round, when you lit on fire.)
    Manakel is worse off, as he was partially soaked with fuel.
    Technically, this happened before any Corporeal actions, but seems better narratively to have it after.

Astarieth did damage, but her dodge soaked most of it. Gillian surrenders.
    If you pick up the knife, tell me how you hold it.

Inian was shot!
    Did check digit (5)+3 damage = 8.
    8 - 1 dodge - 4 Soak (right?) = 3 damage. 6 Soak = 1 damage
    Inian takes 1 damage.
    Edit: updated as I had the Soak from Corporeal Form wrong before in the calculation

Also, I remembered that Acrobatics don't apply to gunfire. You can dodge a bullet, but not gracefully dodge it, I guess?
    But maybe it's a slight balance to guns, since guns are weak in that you don't add your Forces to the TN. (E.g., Melee is Strength + Skill + Forces, whereas Ranged is Agility + Skill)
    Hence he actually did damage with his good shot.

Camael, Redemption

Brittany gives a sigh of relief and a half-hearted smile. "Thanks. And, yeah, I can drop you off there. Sounds safe enough."

She sighs, but then visibly flinches at a new roar of Noise, shouting out, "WHAT IS HE DOING!?"
    Fear on her face, she looks at Carol.
    "If you see Trip or Flavius, don't assume they're still on the same side unless I tell you so. I don't know what's going on, but Balrog just did something... um... it's hard to explain, but if he did that, he must be desperate." Half-taking to herself, she mutters, "Bethrezen and Miguel will be ticked at this, and what if I'm the only survivor to blame. No, Florus is still..."

She shakes her head. "I'll be in touch. You might be my lucky ticket out of the fire, babe. If Balrog dies tonight, our real boss will be angry, but me finding someone as talented as you... might calm him down."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-29 at 10:01 PM.

8. - Top - End - #278

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Astarieth feels the flames fan around him and swears loudly. He yells at the surrendered call girl "Stop! Roll!" and then he tackles her and quickly tries to smother her flames under him. He yells back "Get the people out of here!"

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    A fighting roll, in case Gillian decides not to react well to the guy who just punched her in the face trying to tackle her. (1d6)[1](1d6)[2] check digit: (1d6)[6]

Other boilerplate rolls in case they become necessary:
    Dodge: (1d6)[5](1d6)[4] check digit: (1d6)[5]
    Perception: (1d6)[6](1d6)[4] check digit: (1d6)[2]

9. - Top - End - #279
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I don't feel like leaving ya hanging on her, so adding in this now

Between feelings of shock and betrayal, Gillian fails to do anything beyond fall to the ground in agony, although such does make her roll slightly. Astarieth manages to extinguish the flames on her without any resistance on her part. Although such is at the cost of the flames continuing to lick at his clothing; and the intensity of the fire grows as it starts to ignite the thick padding that was previously protecting him.

From nearby, Balrog lets out a cruel laugh then barks out, "I'll burn your soul for eternity for surrendering to our foes!"

Spoiler: fire
    Show

(1d6)[6] fire damage to Astarieth
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-30 at 07:56 AM.

10. - Top - End - #280

RedKnightGirl

smile Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

The explosion rippled through her being, but Carol had long braced herself for the endlessly escalating noise. She flinched more from Brittany’s outburst, wishing she could be shielded from it, even as her own insides roiled at the commotion. For but the briefest moment, the psychic sound somehow left a residue of ash to her tongue. She swallowed the bitterness along with her worry for the angels struggling at the heart of the fiery maelstrom, trying not to think what she had pointed them towards. All her sympathy was aimed at the endangered Impudite then.

You’re tied up so deeply in all this, and obviously feel whatever is going on over there. That’s so much fear and stress to deal with, Brittany. But I promise you it’s going to be fine. Balrog gets desperate, Flavius starts plotting, no one else survives at all – doesn’t mater. We’re still going to be fine. You convinced me to go with you over Flavius, remember? While I got us into a VIP section most of Fire could never dream about. We’ve got a gift. Can talk our way over, through and past anything. Beth, Miguel, Flo – doesn’t matter. We’re still perfectly fine.

A moment of serenity descended on Carol’s features for all the Noise, a duchenne smile undeniable. “And if that doesn’t work, we’ll turn their entire dry tinder of an operation into our best artist rendering of last year’s Camp Fire, and leave them too busy chocking on our smoke and crying over flames to begin to guess our location. Now let’s get out of here.

Show
    The Camp Fire was a huge fire that happened in California in 2018. Over eighteen thousand structures engulfed. Several people hurt. The Pentagram is supposed to be in Cali and 2019, if my memory is good? So it felt relevant.

Also, I have vague ideas about how to specifically help Brittany (one seems fairly obvious if I do speak to her boss….) but it’s too much to cram into one post, and is probably better asked about while we’re away from the fight.

11. - Top - End - #281

"Help them get out of here if you can, I can hang on longer," Inian tells Jerechial. The fire is eating away at his clothes, but it doesn't seem to be able to burn him through his hardened skin. He throws another punch at Balrog, silently cursing the Demon's abilities.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (3d6)[3][1][1](5)
    Dodge:(3d6)[2][1][2](5) + 6 + Acb check digit
    Acrobatics:(3d6)[2][4][6](12)

Dodge:(3d6)[4][3][2](9) + 6 + Acb check digit
    Acrobatics:(3d6)[3][5][4](12)

I have a quote!
    I like you.

12. - Top - End - #282
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

As the forces of good writhe in the flames, the Burnt surge forward to aid Balrog against Inian and Jerechial. Several step past Astarieth, assuming he had succumbed to the flames.

Jerechial, however, stands firm and lets out a deep tenor verse. He lets himself grin as the Song takes effect. The cheers of malevolent victory turn to cries of horror as a series of ethereal blades form around the Seneschal of the Sword, then begin to swirl around him. Inian, Astarieth, and (as it seems Jerechial noticed her surrender) Gillian are unharmed, but the assorted thugs stop in their tracks. Balrog takes a rather nasty gash across his chest, freely flowing blood.

Still, the injury is not enough to give the demon much pause. He deflects Inian's punch, then hammers his fist towards the Ofanite... only to have most of the blow averted and the rest absorbed by his hardened skin. Balrog seems to share Inian's frustrations about having a wily foe.

From the alcove where the mafiosos were, there should be sighs of relief as the Burnt that were coming for them are cut down or sent into disarray by Jerechial's blades. Instead, there are cries as flames lick at the humans. Manakel starts to try to extinguish the flames on himself, but falls limp to the ground. However, one mafioso acts with selfless speed. Maybe it's that his clothing is only slightly ablaze, maybe it's dedication to his comrades and mission, but he manages to extinguish the flames on both Igor and Manakel.
    However, a loud wave of Noise shows that at least one of the mafiosos -- likely one already unconscious from flames -- has been slain by the fire.

As the seconds tick by, a grin can be seen from Rezzial. It appears that Rickman's Shield is starting to disspitate. The Malakite shall be able to execute judgement in the coming round.

Despite Inian and Astarieth's calls, nobody (beyond a few Burnt who have fled) seems willing to flee the relative safety of their alcoves yet.

Show

Jerechial Sang a secret song, the Celestial Song of Blades. Think Blade Barrier from D&D, but you choose who it hurts.
    This has effectively removed the NPC enemy forces.

The thugs are stunned and don't get to act.
    Inian and Balrog are annoyed at the others' good Dodge+Acrobatics.

Manakel is KOed, and no longer on fire. (He wasn't at full health when this fight started.)
    Igor is KOed, and no longer on fire.
    The other mafia are stunned, KO, or dead; and on fire. There is 1 remaining who is active (but still on fire).

Astarieth takes 6 fire damage (as noted in a previous post). Gillian is no longer on fire, and will be unstunned next round.

Spoiler: for DoctorFaust
    Show

I hope the fight is still interesting, at least narratively if not mechanically. I realize it's mostly been y'all missing each other, which can be a bit boring and frustrating as a player. But know that this is keeping Balrog occupied; your defenses are better than Jerechial's. So although the NPCs might wind up doing more damage, it's largely due to you keeping him occupied.

Feel free to give me any constructive criticism on the fights. It's tricky to find a balance between cakewalk, interesting challenge, boring/annoying challenge, and deathtrap.

Camael, Redemption

Brittany looks uncertain during most of Carol's pep talk, but the final lines bring a smile to her face.

"You're right. If we gotta skip town... maybe that's not the worst option."

The two ride off on her motorcycle, as trailing waves of Noise continue to tell of Song, blood, and fire.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-31 at 10:38 PM.

13. - Top - End - #283

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Having batted out the flames on his prisoner, Astarieth rolls over himself to put out the fire, shielding his eyes and face. As it comes out, he tells the call girl to "stay there. Lie on the ground. Don't draw attention or they'll kill you."

When he gets a moment, he grabs the knife she was wielding by the handle.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-17 at 01:47 PM.

14. - Top - End - #284
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by robnar View Post
    Astarieth, Judgment

Having batted out the flames on his prisoner, Astarieth rolls over himself to put out the fire, shielding his eyes and face. As it comes out, he tells the call girl to "stay there. Lie on the ground. Don't draw attention or they'll kill you."

When he gets a moment, he grabs the knife she was wielding by the handle.
    Show
    You do have an action. Fighting the NPC gangsters is kinda moot as Jerechial is now handling them, so feel free to go after Balrog or do something else, if ya want.
    EDIT: Just realized you're using your action to put out the flames. Very wise.

Gillian whimpers, conscious now but still in pain from the burns.
    As Astarieth grabs the knife, he feels a burning heat in his hand. Not enough to cause real damage, or even to burn him, but a malevolence of hellfire pulsing from the blade.

Spoiler: Perception check for touching an artifact
    Show

(3d6)[6][4][3](13)

TN is your Perception + Corporeal Forces, so you make it
    Result:
    per page 42, a check digit of 3 tells you:
    1 - yep, 'tis an artifact
    2 - it's a Corporeal artifact
    3 - it is a Rank 2 artifact (not that the rank really matters for this purpose). It was made by a human sorcerer
    You don't get any special sense of its powers, but its general nature is reminiscent of unholy weapons, e.g., things that do extra damage to angels. Though it's possible it does that to anything, or anything without diabolical Forces
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-03 at 07:50 AM.

15. - Top - End - #285

Inian grunts gratefully at Jerechial when his Song knocks out almost all the rest of the gangsters. He knows the fewer overtly supernatural things that happen, the less he's going to have to explain to the Russian, but fewer enemies to fight is always a good thing. He blocks Balrog's punch before replying in turn with one of his own.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (3d6)[3][1][2](6) + 4: 6 damage
    Dodge:(3d6)[3][3][2](8) + 8 + Agility CD: 12 soak
    Agility:(3d6)[5][1][2](8)
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2020-08-04 at 01:47 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

16. - Top - End - #286
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Balrog Punch (3d6)[3][2][1](6)
    Balrog Dodge (3d6)[4][2][5](11)
    Balrog Athle (3d6)[5][1][3](9)

Rezzial Sword (3d6)[2][5][2](9)
    Jerry Sword (3d6)[3][6][3](12)
    Cel. Blades (1d6+4)[10]

Mafia (1d6)[6]

17. - Top - End - #287
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: rolls 2
    Show

Jerry
    Balrog Dodge (3d6)[5][2][1](8)
    Balrog Athle (3d6)[4][5][3](12)

Rezzial
    Balrog Dodge (3d6)[5][6][2](13)
    Balrog Athle (3d6)[3][2][3](8)

The Tide Turns Against the Flame

Jerechial's celestial blades continue to cut down the enemy. He may have much to answer for, as the Noise grows even stronger--but, though many cause the unpleasant cacophany of a mortal death, a notable number do not; it seems likely a number of undead have been eternally destroyed by this night's actions.

Astarieth manages to extinguish the flames on himself, but he and Gillian stay amongst the fallen for now. In the heat of the fight, Inian and Balrog exchange another round of futile blows against one another. But, distracted by the speedy Ofanite, Balrog does receive a blow from both Jerechial's blade and Rezzial's: the latter's holy fire puts a crackling sear on the demonic flesh.

Inian can see one of Balrog's hands fall severed to the ground as the heavenly blades of The Sword slash through him. The demon is still somehow standing strong, but he is starting to succumb to the blows.

From the alcove, the mafioso who so bravely saved Igor and Manakel lets out a grunt as he falls to the ground, smoke pluming from within his clothes. There is a wave of Noise as one of the unconscious mafiosos dies to the fire.

Show

As before, Inian and Balrog fail to actually hurt each other. But Jerechial's Blade did a nasty blow, and both Jerechial and Rezzial did some damage.

Igor and Manakel are safe, but all the other mafiosos are dead or dying.
    Note, on a practical level, less survivors is easy for Heaven to deal with. So far you have a guy who was KOed relatively early in the fight, and a punch of Burnt working girls hopped up on drugs.

I should actually think on how far Heaven is willing to go to "clean up" an incident. I'm sure it's easier on Hell, since they're more willing to just eliminate witnesses.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-04 at 08:00 AM.

18. - Top - End - #288

Inian sees an opportunity as Rezzial and Jerechial slice through Balrog's wrist. Forgoing his usual blows to the torso or knees, Inian wraps his hands together and aims a hammer-like blow at the Demon's stump of a hand. As he throws the punch, he yells out, "Veni, sancte spiritus! Lava quod est sordidum!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack: (3d6)[4][1][3](8)+4: 7 damage
    Dodge: (3d6)[2][3][5](10)+8+Acrobatics: 16 soak
    Acrobatics: (3d6)[1][2][3](6)
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2020-08-05 at 11:47 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

19. - Top - End - #289
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: some mechanics spoilers, so you might want to wait to read this until after reading below. Two rounds described below
    Show

Going to move on the round, assuming Astarieth joins the fray. I hope that doesn't give offense.
    Also, based on the dice results below, I went ahead and checked for his fleeing to celestial form next round. He fails... and then there's a really good chance he dies, so... gonna call this fight.

I'm going to say that, surrounded by 4 angels, Balrog cannot sufficiently use athletics to help his dodge.

So...
    Dodge Inian (3d6)[1][5][1](7)
    Dodge Jerry (3d6)[1][4][4](9)
    vs. (3d6)[1][5][6](12)
    Dodge Rezz (3d6)[5][1][5](11)
    vs. (3d6)[1][6][2](9)
    Dodge Astari (3d6)[1][2][6](9)
    maybe vs. (3d6)[4][6][2](12)
    Celestial Blades (1d6+4)[6]

Balrog Punch (3d6)[1][5][5](11)

Then, next and last round, he failed his Will roll (rolled elsewhere) to assume celestial form and flee.

Surrounded by the combined forces of Inian, Astarieth, Rezzial, and Jerechial, the bestial demon is not able to dodge as well as before. He still dodges well, moving gracefully between blade and fist, but more blows connect and more deeply, accompanied by the celestial swords still spinning around Jerechial.

Inian leaves a crushing blow to the demon's face, teeth falling from it, and dodges Balrog's own blow completely. The others also make decent damage, though Rezzial and Jerechial's blades cut only lightly.

Bloody and slightly stumbling, Balrog does not fight back as the angels continue the assault. Instead, he seems focused, almost pleading, but to no avail. His eyes glaze over and the massive form falls to the ground. It is quickly beheaded by Rezzial's flaming sword.

Heaven is triumphant.
    Yet, the corpses are many. At least a dozen Burnt lay dead, and of those who accompanied Inian, all are face-down. Rezzial confirms that Igor is the only one still alive, it looking like one of his comrades died saving Igor and Manakel.

The celestial blades vanish, and Jerechial takes a quick glance at the girls hiding in their alcove. They shriek and huddle further in the corner. Glancing over Gillian and Rickman, he says, with the authority of a Seneschal: "This is a mess, but one that probably won't have much witnesses we need to worry about.

"Inian, the guy you brought is hurt and might not remember the details. I feel bad for his men, but they died honorably. I leave him to you. His boss can probably get him medical treatment to keep him alive.

"Ast-Tommy, the prisoners are yours if you want them. I have a room in my Tether we can keep them at for questioning. I can be present or absent, but at least I'd like a debriefing of what you learn.

"Rezzial, thank you for your assistance.
    "If any of you need anything particular, let me know. I'll stick with Tommy to help with prisoner transfer and getting Manakel out, if nothing else is needed.
    Otherwise, let's scatter and regroup at my Tether as soon as able. I can have one of my medics there to treat wounds and make sure our prisoners are stable."

Spoiler: OOC note with Manakel
    Show

It does seem like Jerechial is wanting to take Manakel somewhere safe for medical treatment, but either of you can talk about bringing him to the mafia if you think that's a better idea. I kinda forgot the original plan was a mafia rescue... so either route is fine.

I expect it will split as Inian reports to Agafonov and Astarieth splits with the prisoners, but of course feel free to do otherwise.

Spoiler: Summary of Deaths/Damage
    Show

Since I'm bored, adding this...

Good guy NPCs
    Jerechial suffered minor wounds and burns.
    Rezzial unharmed.
    Manakel in negative HP.
    Of the mafia, only Igor survived. He's in negative HP.

Bad guys
    Balrog slain.
    Trip severely wounded corporeally. Lost 1 Force then fled to Hell.
    Flavius unharmed, fled.
    Rickman injured, unconscious.
    Gillian injured, surrendered.
    Some Burnt fled, but most slain.
    A roomful of drugged-up prostitutes or floozies cowering.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-08 at 12:01 PM.

20. - Top - End - #290

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Astarieth has a split second to pant in fatigue and groan in frustration and pain at the searing cuts in his side and the burns on his body, before he makes himself get back to work. He wants, desperately, a moment of rest, but with reality hammering around him like a room full of hyperactive children with snare drums there's no time.

He shows the knife to Rezzial and Jerechial - "Artifact. Infernal. Cuts hurt way more than they should. I can hang onto it for a minute or one of y'all can deal with it."

Then he turns to Inian - "Bodies - these guys." He gestures to the mafiosos who came to their defense. "Gotta get 'em back to their people. You got an idea of where to take them?"

"Rest can burn. Heck, lets toss Balrog on that pile over there and give him the party he wanted."

While he listens for Inian's response, Astarieth's brain is on fire. Too much to do, to little time. This fracas probably just kicked the anthill for every other demon in the city, and half the angels are right here. This would be the perfect time for those Factions demons to make their move on Malcolm's people.

When they're ready he asks someone to watch the prisoners and jogs to bring his car over.

Spoiler: What Astarieth is thinking
    Show

- Somebody needs to get the dead mafiosos back to their people.
    - Somebody needs to get Igor to medical care, hospital is fine. Astarieth can't do it, because he doesn't want to have to answer the cop at a normal hospital.
    - Needs to take Manakel, Gillian, and Rickman to the tether. This and moving Igor are the most risky move in case any bad guys are hanging out trying to track people leaving the scene.
    - Need to tell the surveillance around Malcolm's people to be ready.
    - Need to secure the artifact.
    - Can leave the witnesses to be picked up by the cops.

Show
    I can't see any way that Astarieth would know that Igor and his contact (Yuri?) are connected.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-17 at 01:48 PM.

21. - Top - End - #291
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

As the angels start to plan their move, Gillian starts to say something, but then, just as she is about to raise herself from the floor, gets a look of absolute panick and falls to the ground. Fainted.

The angels notice a new man in their midst. Of relatively short stature, the olive-skinned man stands firm with waving brown hair, a sword sheathed at his hip. Though his vessel is not foreboding in itself, the air of presence is palpable--and no doubt the cause of the Soldier of Hell's fear: an unwavering sense of honor, devotion, and martial skill. Even to those not knowing him, Laurence, Archangel of the Sword, is known immediately. Jerechial falls to bended knee, "My Lord."

His voice is a mix of a loving father and hard steel.
    "Jerechial, you have done well." He waves his hand, and you hear the girls in the alcove fall into slumber. Manakel gasps, consciousness returning to him. Inian, Astarieth, and Jerechial's wounds knit and vanish, though Inian's leave some bruises and minor burn marks.

"I have stabilized Igor, and put the unfortunate into slumber. Vladislav fulfilled his Destiny by saving Igor and Manakel; I talked with him before he went to the Higher Heavens, and thought it best to check here. I see you all have fought well. To those who wish it, I will relocate you to my Tether, with your prisoners. The forces of Fire have scattered from this area; Agafonov's people are coming soon to investigate, so choose quickly."

Manakel looks around, taking in the new environment. With a pained groan, he stands.
    "Thank you, Lord Laurence. I... I am not certain of the best course of action. My Role is known to the Burnt and Madrizel; I cannot perform my current instructions from Dominic. If I go to the Tether, I can be declared dead or taken, but that will make little evidence against them. If I am revealed rescued, then perhaps my statement can do some harm to the demons, before they send someone to quiet me. I am not in the right mind to make this decision. I defer to you all."

Rezzial humbly accepts the transportation.

Spoiler: OOC clarification
    Show

You all get a free teleport to the Tether of the Sword if you wish.
    For Astarieth's car, probably bad form to ask about it, but you can be pretty certain that Jerechial could send a Soldier to pick it up. Or Astarieth could leave on his own and drive to the Tether, while Jerechial watches the prisoners.

Your choice on what happens to Manakel.

22. - Top - End - #292

The rush of relaxation that Inian was feeling comes to an abrupt end when an Archangel descends into their midst. He doesn't take a knee alongside Jerechial, but Inian does give their Superior a deep bow.

"Lord Laurence, I appreciate the offer, but I need to stay here and deal with this mess," Inian replies, gesturing to the ruins of the room. "It may be better for Manakel to stay as well so there's some proof that the Burnt had kidnapped a police officer besides me and Igor's words. The mafia is going to be pissed about how many men they lost, but we might've done enough damage to the Burnt that between saving you and the Demons we killed they might continue employing me. You're probably going to want to get out of Star Valley quickly once this situation gets resolved, though, Manakel."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

23. - Top - End - #293

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

The Archangel appearing in their midst stops Astarieth in his tracks. He reflexively takes a knee, and his hand darts to the coat pocket where he keeps his little black book before he realizes that it isn't his archangel. But he maintains his kneel while Laurence speaks.

When the Archangel makes his offer, Astarieth nods. "I will attempt to destroy what needs to be cleaned up and leave under my own power. Seneschal -" turning to Jerechial "please take the prisoners until I return."

When Manakel describes the decision he faces, Astarieth responds "I recommend waiting at the tether until further guidance from Dominic. If I were you I would return to Heaven and find another way in - your Role here is now compromised, and you will attract more demons than is necessary or prudent. But ultimately the decision is our Superior's."

When Laurence is finished, Astarieth rises, and looks over what remains of the room. He looks for mafia bodies - they do not deserve to burn with the rest of the rats - and moves them outside. Then he levers Balrog's massive corpse onto the bonfire and lights it. The last symbolic act of the Burnt falling victim to their own hero.

Show
    I think it is prudent OOC to write Manakel off at this point, and the loss of personal credibility he would lose by going to the hospital and/or skipping town is way worse than the #10 we got last time.

I will look over the ToC stuff ASAP.

24. - Top - End - #294
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: OOC to robnar
    Show

I'm gonna go on and zappa folk to their destinations to help the scene move along, but feel free to have gone along with Jerechial, hide out then subtly escape (no roll needed), or leave with Inian (though I think you said you don't want to do that).
    You posted at the same time I posted this, so editing it to make it align.

Let me know if I'm misunderstanding how you'd like Astarieth to act.

Laurence gives a smile -- not kindly, but respectful -- to the Ofanite of War and Seraph of Judgement.
    Manakel pauses, but says, "My duty is to uncover corruption, that by demons and in the police. I believed I would die having failed, but I think I can best continue my duty by testifying. I will query our Lord when he meets with me. Thank you, Lord Laurence, but I shall remain."
    With a glance to the Soldiers of Hell and those who are choosing to come with him and Jerechial, he raises his sword and they vanish.

As Astarieth moves the deceased mafia, he can hear movements outside the door. There are cracks that let him see the mafia have organized a parameter around the outside. Not the best place to come as an unknown bearing the bodies of their fallen. But they can certainly be moved close to the exit and not in danger of desecration by fire safely enough.
    As for the destruction of Balrog's remains, the monstrous form crackles and burns. There is some Noise accompanying the lighting of the fire, but it is forgivable in light of removing an almost-inhumanly massive corpse. One less question that might pierce the lies told to mankind for their own good. As painful as such lies can be for a Seraph, maintaining them is one of the duties of Judgement -- a harsh one Astarieth knows Lord Dominic, as an Archangel Seraph, must fear with more pain than himself.

Inian is able to easily carry the unconscious Igor and help the hobbled Manakel towards the exit. They are met by a dozen armed mafiosos, with Mr. Agafonov behind them in hushed argument with a man who looks like he could easily be the man's father. As the mafiosos give out an alert to the movement, the older man gives a stunned look at the trio that has emerged.

Agafonov snaps his fingers, and one of the men holsters his fireman and pulls out a medical bag, then rushes over to attend to Igor and Manakel. He then approaches Inian and says, "There was much gunfire, and an explosion. What happened? Where are my men besides Igor?"

To the side of the building, Inian can see where the boarded window was busted through and some of the gang escaped. It looks like a fight followed there, as some Burnt lay dead, as do a couple mafiosos, with some others wounded nearby. But a couple men on alert towards the exit implies that some did successfully escape.

Camael, Redemption

About 30 minutes after the waves of Noise have settled, Carol gets a phone call from an unknown number. The gruff voice of the Seneschal of the Sword speaks when she answers.

"You safe? Able to come over to talk? I reckon you heard a lot, but we should all talk."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-13 at 10:23 AM.

25. - Top - End - #295

RedKnightGirl

The electricity of a parting kiss now fading, the gentle drone of the taxi engine was the only sound as the shadows blanketed Carol in the back-seat. Street lights conspired to pierce the veil as they blew threw empty streets, revealing the consternation on her face. The interest in the human driver – Henry, forty eight, doting husband, fear of penguins – wasn’t near enough to douse the question on whether she had made the right choice. At best, the Fire Tether was more exposed, but with Brittany in greater danger, and even herself. Especially if the war escalated. There was also the danger she had gambled away her best shot at gathering information on every major Fire demon in the Pentagram on the off chance of protecting an angel of a frequently hostile philosophy.

Even when the jury and the judge,
    Say you’ve got a right to hold a grudge,
    It’s the whisper in your ear saying set it free,

Reluctantly cutting off Mathew West for the unknown number, Carol grinned tiredly on hearing the Senechal’s voice after the escalating Fire fight. At least he survived. When violence broke out, it was anyone’s guess who would suffer the most causalities and collateral damage. She nodded mutely through his questions before discerning he had enough concern for her that most of the immediate fallout had been addressed; that the warzone likely settled in Heaven’s favour.

Yeah, talking sounds good. Can be there in ten. But I should be asking about your safety, Jerry. Like you said, heard a lot. How are you? All intact?

Pressing the phone to her chest, Carol asked the taxi driver to the new destination - it was easy enough. The route to her university was near enough to the supposed dive bar. Sharing the details of the address, a signal and a turn later, and they were heading towards the Sword’s Tether.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-08-14 at 05:40 AM.

26. - Top - End - #296

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Seeing the mafia leaders - including Fyodor - congregating outside, Tommy takes the moment. He picks up two of the mafiosos and carries them out with him, laying them down respectfully near their leader. Tommy waits for Inian to explain - it seems this is who Inian worked the deal out for these guys with.

It's an awful scene. The fire inside the building illuminates the entryway in orange and yellow, and casts flickering shadows over the faces of hard men who are hurt and scared by what they see. Tommy addresses Fyodor. "We won. Not against O'Rourke, but against several more of her kind." He turns to the younger Agafonov. "I'm a colleague of Adrian. I go by Tommy."
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-17 at 01:47 PM.

27. - Top - End - #297

Inian sets Igor down carefully to be attended to by Agafonov's man before turning his attention to the Mafioso. "They're dead," he says with a heavy sigh. "The Burnt attacked basically right after we got in, and our cop friend here managed to escape in confusion of the fight. But it turns out they're even more crazy ****ing bastards than I thought they were."

He motions to his own burned clothes and to Igor's form still lying unconscious on the floor. "When it looked like the fight wasn't going their way, one of them set off a fire bomb they had rigged. Igor got knocked out and dragged away by some of your men before that, which probably saved his life."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

28. - Top - End - #298
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth and Inian

Spoiler: Manakel
    Show
    From what I read, one of you voted for Manakel going to the Tether and one for Manakel being rescued.

I decided to just flip a coin, and it landed for "went to Tether". So we'll go with that.

Either way, Manakel was going to be out of the story sooner than later. (Dude's vessel is mostly dead and he's at 0 essence anyway, so not like he'd be much help as an NPC.)

The younger Agafonov gives a strained look at Tommy, but nods. "Thank you for your help." He then turns to give a quizzical look to his father, whose expression is a mix of sorrow and joy.

He sighs at Inian's words. "Thank you, Adrian. You have mostly earned my trust, and once Igor is able to speak, I imagine you will have fully earned it. I am surprised they didn't back down, and I should have sent more men as you suggested. And perhaps it is simplier that the officer doesn't have to see us... we don't always agree 100% with the law. I'm glad he is safe."

As the medic tends to Igor, he then moves to confirm the others are dead. You hear angry words from the mafia toughs, speaking of retribution against the Burnt, but also words of reason and restraint. They are angry, but they are trained and know to act with precision and leadership.

After a bit more checking of the scene -- during which Tommy is given free rein to leave if he wishes -- Mr. Agafonov and his father approach Adrian again. The latter looks at Inian with a strange reverance, though Mr. Agafonov doesn't introduce his father.

"Thank you again. Should you need anything, feel free to call me here." He hands over a notepad with a number written on it.

Camael, Redemption

Once she is dropped off near the Tether, she notices that it is on higher-alert than usual. There is one person in dark clothes on the roof with binoculars. Near the door, three men stand guard, two in biker clothes and one in army camo. Those three at first give a focused look at Camael, but then give friendly nods.
    Jerechial's men, guarding the Tether.

However, before she enters, her phone rings again.
    "Hi, um... this is Issac. You get out okay?"

Spoiler: OOC note
    Show

Giving some time between events, to let the others join.

29. - Top - End - #299

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

The younger Agafonov gives a strained look at Tommy, but nods. "Thank you for your help." He then turns to give a quizzical look to his father, whose expression is a mix of sorrow and joy.

Astarieth finishes moving the rest of the dead outside, to their colleagues. When he's moved the last out, he turns to the Agafonovs: "Thank you for your help. All of your men fought honorably and skillfully. What they did brings great credit to themselves and to you all." Addressing the elder Agafonov: "We still have an appointment for tomorrow. This may complicate things. Call or text if the situation changes; I will attempt to do the same."

His business complete, Tommy jogs off back to his car. He swears as he steps up to it - the blood, ash, and other unmentionables on his clothes are not fitting for his ride. He apologizes to his car as he steps in and starts to drive off.

Tommy takes a roundabout route back to the howitzer - driving away from it first, popping onto a highway and immediately back off, a couple U-turns. The kinda route where if he sees the same car more than once he's definitely being followed. In the meantime he calls Joanna. "Heads up. Found two folks who can tell us some stories about bad guys in the city. Gonna need your advice on what to do with 'em. Meet me at the Howitzer in an hour or two. Grab coffee, my treat. Gonna be a long night."

When he pulls into the Howitzer's parking lot, he tries to park discreetly near the back. Then he grabs his sledgehammer and walks inside. When he finds Jerechial or one of the responsible folks he simply asks: "Where are they?"
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-17 at 10:08 PM.

30. - Top - End - #300

RedKnightGirl

A motley contingent of mortals assembled to hold the line while the guardian of the Tether himself helped reclaim the captured Elohite. The friendly nods were returned with aplomb, hiding her half surprise. Between the Soldier guarding the party yesterday, and passing on information leading to assaulting the Fire Seneschal today, it seemed a good impression had been built with The Sword. Taking a few steps casually away from the guards, she answered her phone.

Thanks to Brittany. But I’m sure you saw that?” Carol answered, distractedly eyeing the lookout on the rooftop while the Brookline accent unwound into her ear. “Took a taxi after. Now I’m debating whether a cocktail would help me sleep, or justify me staying awake.” She commented. “How about you, Issac? Manage to find a safe place? What’s your boss make of all this?

Spoiler: Fast Talk Reaction Roll or nope?
    Show

I’m not sure if I should do a Reaction Roll to see how well I can try and gently gain info from him, or leave it and just go with the flow? Ignoring Charm for now because it’s a -2 right now. Besides, if I end up rolling a -1 Charm check digit, would that mean I end up liking Issac more?