New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314151617181920 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #301
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Astarieth, Judgement

Astarieth finds three men guarding the door, but they give a professional nod and let him in.

Inside, Jerechial is standing at the bar, peering over newspapers, a map of the city, alongside two pigeons. Rezzial is standing in a corner, on the phone with an argumentative tone; you hear the name 'Adewale' at least once, showing who is talking to. Fortisimos is sitting at one of the tables, flipping through his phone, looking sullen. Roman is standing guard near one of the side rooms. Manakel is laying down on a military-style fold-out bed; he's awake, but still showing his injuries and looks contemplative.

As Astarieth enters, Jerechial gets up and answers, "In the back. Got them blindfolded, bound, and gagged right now. Roman is guarding their door, got another Soldier inside. Wanna start asking questions?"

He turns to the birds. "Daisy, Gaspariel, I'll leave intros to whoever else shows up to you."

He gives a smile to Tommy. "Oh, and you might want this. Getting the Soldiers was your idea, so seems a worthy prize for you." He pulls a hand grenade out of his pocket, and tosses it to Astarieth.

Spoiler: Percpetion Roll
    Show

[roll0][roll1]
    [roll2]

EDIT: preview post screwed up the roll, but so not rolling on site now, but you got a good result. Had a +2 modifier, since TN was Perception + Celestial Forces.
    It's a celestial artifact, created by a Servitor of Eli over a century ago, but stolen by Servitors of Theft. Flavius "borrowed" it from Valefor's domain and gave it to Rickman.
    It is imbued with an already-activated Song of Celestial Motion, such that it requires no essence to use and anyone (even mortals) can use it. But the user has to know how it works. When the holder pulls the pin, they can focus on a "safe place" and it teleports them and anyone they are touching to that safe place, as long as it's within five miles range.
    It's also a mundane hand grenade, so (after teleporting the user to safety), it leaves a frag grenade that's going to explode soon.

A a one-use "get to safety" card, with a bomb built into it.
    If you assume celestial form, it comes with you. If you use it in celestial form, the Song activates but the physical grenade is not changed. It'll be a mundane grenade once you assume corporeal form again.

EDIT/OOC note: if Rezzial hadn't KOed him that round (which wouldn't have happened if you didn't direct him to go after them), Rickman would have teleported Flavius, Trip, and himself away via this.

Camael, Redemption

Issac, though still affecting some accent, sounds weary. Drained.

"Eh, hard to read old Maddie. Kinda happy, kinda not. But I'm back home."

A touch of sharpness comes to his tone. "Yeah, I saw you leaving with Brittany. You saw me leaving, too, are you saying?
    I can't tell how honest you're being or not with me. Which is fine enough; don't really expect honesty in our circles. You aren't Megan, so guessing you ain't a Gamester. Pretty sure you aren't Fire, or Brittany wouldn't think you're human. You say you're my friend, and for some reason I believe -- believed -- you. Wanna say any more about what you are, cupcake?"

Spoiler: resonance outcome
    Show
    The check digit penalty can't make the effect invert, but I guess if it lowered to 0 or lower a success would count the same as a failure, since you're read is too weak.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-18 at 10:54 AM.

2. - Top - End - #302
    Firbolg in the Playground

The Angel nods sadly at Agafonov's response. "Thank you for the kind words. I just wish more of your men had survived. They were good and loyal soldiers. But I should probably go now in case any cops were called here because of the, uh, increased noise. I have the phone you can contact me through whenever you need me for a job."

If the pair don't have any further questions for him, Inian heads immediately from the back room to his car. He replaces this set of clothes from his now-decreasing stock in the trunk and stuffs the burnt pieces into a bag for disposal later. Once he sets off, he keeps the pedal floored as long as he can, relishing in the feeling of speed burning away his stress as he heads directly to the Howitzer.

He at least has the presence of mind to park around the back like Astarieth and heads inside once he turns off the car. "Has anyone been brought up to date on the situation besides the people here?" he asks without preamble. He catches himself, and adds, "Thank you for agreeing to help us, everyone. And, um, sorry for calling you Zorro, Rezzial."
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

3. - Top - End - #303
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

What am I?” Carol repeated in a clipped, harsh tone with syllables sounding the breaking of dreams, the sawing of bone. She abandoned the dark tongue a moment later with a frustrated sigh. “What if I’m a people person? What if I like learning what particular people want, comparing it with what I want, and figuring out ways we might all get what we want? How many souls, in our own community, care only to take what they can get, and damn all the rest?

The diamonds sewn into the clear dark sky played neatly in backyard of the crescent moon, and Carol envied them. She sighed again as a car drove around the back of the bar. “More than you think, but less than you deserve, I really am a friend. One that wouldn’t mind us going back to basics for a moment. What’s your name?

Spoiler: Charm just to see, Fast Talk just in case
    Show

Charm, TN 12: (I honestly forgot the TN was that high for Charm...)

(1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[4]
    Check digit: (1d6-2)[0]

Fast Talk, TN 12: (Try to get his real name)

(1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[2]
    Check digit: (1d6+6)[9]

4. - Top - End - #304
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian and Astarieth

Agafonov gives a professional and respectful look to the Ofanite as he also gives leave to go. The tip to the Howlitzer is thankfully uneventful and quiet, in every sense of the word.

Inian enters not long after Astarieth, finding the loan-shark Dominician speaking with Jerechial. Jerechial gives a grim, "Yeah. Those are Gaspariel and Daisy. Mary, Camael, and Adewale are on their way."

Rezzial's tone goes from frustration at his phone call to a smile. He gives a wave to Inian and then back to his call. A frustrated whisper is heard from the Malakite: "I know it was Noisy, but sometimes Noise is called for."

Camael, Redemption

Camael feels her Resonance flow successfully towards Issac, but with the distance of the phone it fails to take hold of him.

However, he still seems shaken and, at the least for moment, to believe her words.

"...okay, sorry. But I think you can understand that I'd be hesitant to trust, especially after you... 'people person', huh. I'm guessing you worked the same mojo on me Brittany does on her girls. Or some of Lilith's girls? But, hey, no insult taken; scorpions sting, we do our thing.
    "But my name is just Issac. Dumb name given to me when I was just a purse-dog, and the name I kept when I got this gig. But I've come to like it."

Without the hostility of before, he asks, "So what's your real name, or should I just call you Carol?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Since the Resonance technically succeeded, you can try again. But he does seem to be talking to you (via Fast Talk) and seems to think you're likely an Impudite (or maybe Lilim), so I can see not charming him for better long-term results.

5. - Top - End - #305
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

He pulls a hand grenade out of his pocket, and tosses it to Astarieth.

"Yeah, I'll talk to them pretty soon. Need them separated so that neither can hear what's going on with the other. Also
    gonna need a whatthe#@$&.... GRENADE!"

Tommy's demeanor goes from confident forward movement to dropping his hammer and trying to bat the grenade into an empty corner of the room, vaulting backwards over a table, and pulling it down between him and THE FREAKING GRENADE that Jerechial JUST THREW AT HIM.

When the three-to-five seconds of the standard fuze passes by without an explosion or an immediate trip back to heaven, Tommy pushes up from lying flat on the floor with his hands over his head. He is greeted by the howls of laughter of everyone in the bar. He pants for a moment as he picks up his sledgehammer and leans on it while he tries to recover his dignity. "Well done."

Spoiler: So, grenades...
    Show
    I will get a more in scene post up shortly once I figure it out. Had to put that down though...

I have some limited professional familiarity with hand grenades. They seem great until you realize you're walking around carrying a bomb that's only prevented from exploding in your pocket by basically a key ring and a paper clip. Feel like Tommy might not be double checking whether the spoon popped off given the day he's had...

Hope yall enjoyed reading that as much as I enjoyed writing it.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-19 at 03:45 PM.

6. - Top - End - #306

RedKnightGirl

Carol for now. Wear the badge with pride, right?” Carol smiled, knowing vessels were more blessing than they were responsibility. “But you’re right to be hesitant. Especially given how loud everything got tonight. That death match is one thing, but you said that same luchador went marching off with Russians after. And Brittany mentioned Balrog getting desperate before we bailed. This seems like a lot of extra stress for you, queen of the neutral zones that Rourke is. What’s the fallout if the Russians really did pick a fight with Fire? How much do you need a woman on the inside helping calm the flames?

Spoiler: Fast Talk?
    Show

I feel like I’m asking for insider information, and FT is supposed to (when not used for reaction rolls…) help persuade others to give what you want in momentary lapses. So, hoping for insider info, I guess, about what the fallout looks like at a preliminary glance? Might be an opportunity there, or not.

Fast Talk, TN 12:

(1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[2]
    Check digit: (1d6+6)[7]

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-08-20 at 12:45 PM.

7. - Top - End - #307

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

After a few quality moments letting the adrenaline slow down, Tommy is back to work. "Alright, lets do this. I'm gonna move them to separate rooms. Need some food prepared for both of 'em. Finger food. No forks or knives. I'm going to do the lawyer first, and I'm gonna go for a harder approach with him. I'll do the young lady second and will use more of a good-cop approach. If we need to switch questioners I'll let you know."

The room is perfect. Dark, small, uncomfortable. After Tommy confirms that they've been gagged and blindfolded the whole time, and that they haven't coordinated with each other by foot taps or something, he starts. They're scared, and disoriented, and probably terrified with thoughts of what's coming next. That's plenty to work with. Tommy braces himself, and then does what he has to do. The first part is always unpleasant. And loud. He explains it to the guards, then starts.

He slams open the door to their cell, as loudly as he can. He slams his sledgehammer down near Rickman, then quickly moves up to Gillian. He quickly unties her, roughly pulls her to her feet, and then kicks the steel folding chair she was sitting on across the room. He frog marches her out of the room, then slams the door behind him. After that, he eases up significantly, but still clomps loudly down the hall. When he gets her to her room, he takes off her blindfold and gag. "Sorry for that. That scene was more for the lawyer's benefit than yours. I'm going to come talk to you in a few minutes. Sit down, have some food. It will be OK. The guards are to watch you and make sure you don't do anything stupid like try to kill yourself. Don't try to talk to them, they won't talk to you. Like I said, it will be OK. You have a chance here. Eat, be calm, and when I come back tell me everything. Do you understand and will you do what I say? We will protect you."

And then on to Rickman. Hopefully hearing all that freaked him out. Tommy sets his phone to record audio, and then barges back in. He picks up the folding chair and slams it down in front of the hapless lawyer. He reaches out, pushes Rickman's head back, and rips the gag off, leaving the blindfold. Before Rickman has a chance to start talking, Tommy starts asking questions in a fast, precise monotone - Astarieth's voice, not the street slang Tommy likes to throw around "What is your name?" "What is your phone number?" "What is your occupation?" "Where do you live?" "What is your address?" "Who were you at the party with?" "Who was the person they were planning to burn?" "Who was the large, burnt man?" "Was the large, burnt man a demon?" "Who did you go to the party with?" Hopefully the lawyer has the sense not to try and lie.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Using a hard, fear-up approach with Rickman, intent is to get him to start talking quickly, before he has time to think about lying or obfuscating. Used easy questions that Tommy already knows the answer to calibrate truthfulness.

Resonance roll on Gillian, mostly to ensure that she actually does understand and intends to comply. (1d6)[1](1d6)[6] check digit (1d6)[3]+4.

Resonance roll on Rickman (1d6)[5](1d6)[1] check digit (1d6)[1]+4. No brainer.

Emote roll, to conceal the affect he normally uses as Tommy and to convey the feeling of 'heartless b***rd. (1d6)[2](1d6)[1] check digit (1d6)[4].
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-21 at 02:35 AM.

8. - Top - End - #308
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

The Bar

At Astarieth's response, there is indeed a bout of staring. And then quite the bit of amusement and laughter, though Manakel simply looks stoic and groans a bit, having shifted at the yell.

Jerechial gives a jovial grin. "Didn't mean to scare ya. But, yeah, let's get to work."

There are spare rooms enough to set up as Astarieth recommends. Manakel's bed is moved to another side room to keep him from being seen, Fortisimos accompanying him, but the birds and Rezzial stay such that Gillian will get a passing glance at them. (Rezzial dons his mask again.)

Assuming Inian dons a mask and also stays, for a forbidding presence.

Astarieth, Judgement

Rickman gives some frantic and terrified noises at the burst of energy as Gillian is moved out. At his words to her in the new room, she numbly nods and mutters a "Y-yeah."

Spoiler: resonance
    Show
    She's not exactly lying, but having trouble processing everything. She's surprised she's not dead, either from the fire or at angelic hands. She basically understands the general things you said, but (and she hasn't realized this yet, but with a 6 you see) she won't necessarily do what you say, depending on what it is.

In particular: if she can find a path to escape, she'll take it once she gets a bit more solid. BUT the likelihood of that is very slim, and she realizes that. She doesn't plan to try talking to or manipulating her guard. She's unsure if she'll eat, since she's not sure if it's drugged.

Rickman makes more startled noises when Tommy returns. But, for all his fear, there's some calm and confidence underneath.

His voice is shaken, but he replies with some sarcastic joking and contempt. It's obviously forced, but your Resonance shows it is sincere.

"What is your name?"
    "You didn't grab my cards from my pocket? Harold RIckman, esquire."

"What is your phone number?"
    "Man, which one? Main phone's on the card."

"What is your occupation?"
    "Sleazy lawyer."

"Where do you live?" "What is your address?"
    He answers honestly.

"Who were you at the party with?" "Who was the person they were planning to burn?" "Who was the large, burnt man?" "Was the large, burnt man a demon?" "Who did you go to the party with?"

At these, he starts to get quiet.
    "I was there to see my boss." True; Flavius, though elusive. "They were gonna burn some Soldier, they thought, but obviously he was more than that. For most there, they got what they deserve." True; it was a surprise to everyone there, including Rickman. Also, Rickman does look down on such torture and doesn't care most of the in-the-know presumably died.

"Large burnt man? You mean Balrog? Leader of the Burnt. You off him?" "I went by myself, but I already told you to see my boss."

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show
    You don't have a 6, but he's being honest, if elusive about his boss. EDIT: but you were touching him, so I'll go ahead and give you the +2 mod for that for a 6.

But under the "why" is he telling you the truth or lying, you see a surprising faith. He utterly believes there is a reward waiting for him in Hell, or at least is likely one if Flavius pulls the right things off. Even if he and Flavius both are dead, he believes Flavius will do what he can to do right by him.

You also gleam he hopes, by being honest mostly, he can get away with protecting Flavius. He fears you're a Seraph, but doesn't know for sure.

a 6: he was there to see Flavius and Trip, as they are the ones trying to coordinate something, and for related reasons wanted to be at the party together. You also sense he's a Soldier of Theft, not Fire, and Flavius is likewise a Djinn of Theft, not Fire as Heaven thought.
    Also, he has several backup phones and a safehouse-apartment, and you get the numbers/locations of those.
    He really does operate as a sleazy lawyer most of the time, but also dabbles in real estate and owning businesses, at Flavius' insistence.

Camael, Redemption

You get a self-depreciating laugh from the other line. "Yeah, 'stress' is pretty high right now. I guess we -- I mean Maddie -- wouldn't mind if the mob went after the Burnt. Not like our Bosses like each other. But the city's bad enough already without a... mob-gang war or whatever you'd call it going on."

He sighs, an unexpected sincerity about the state of the city in his voice.

"I'd appreciate knowing what's going on, yeah. But how does that help you? Or what's that gonna cost me?"
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-21 at 10:39 AM.

9. - Top - End - #309

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Rickman makes more startled noises when Tommy returns. But, for all his fear, there's some calm and confidence underneath.

His voice is shaken, but he replies with some sarcastic joking and contempt. It's obviously forced, but your Resonance shows it is sincere.
    So he thinks he'll be OK, in the long run. He thinks those demons have his back. That's the hook. That's the way in.

At the first sarcastic joke after the flurry of questions Tommy pokes him hard in the ribs. Hard enough to startle him, hard enough to remind him that he can't defend himself. "You're in a bad situation here. You don't understand yet how bad. You have no idea how much worse it can get. Don't make it worse."

And then Tommy starts again, an unrelenting, staccato stream of closed ended questions. Every now and then he drops in another one, to make Rickman start thinking about how shaky his foundations are.

"Who is your boss?" "Who was the other demon he was talking to?"
    "What are the burnt planning?""Does your boss have any other humans working for him?"

"What were you discussing?" "What do you do for your boss?" "What does Trip do?" "What happened to the humans working for your boss?"

"What is your boss planning?"
    "Why was Neal working with the Burnt?" "What happens to the humans working for the Burnt?" "Why do you think what happened to them won't happen to you?"

"What kind of demon is your boss?" "What angels do you know of?" "Which ones are your boss worried about?" "What do you know about O'Rourke?" "Has your boss ever lied to you?"

Tommy fires the questions fast to keep Rickman off balance. Rickman's smart and confident. Every time Rickman says something sarcastic or lying Tommy does something to shock him - he kicks the chair loud enough to startle him, bangs his hammer on the ground, kicks Rickman's feet off balance, that sort of thing. Always followed by a quick "Cut it. Talk."

Spoiler: Questions
    Show
    Mostly made the questions to illustrate Tommy's approach - keeping the guy off balance, mixing in questions that test his responsiveness, questions seeking information, and questions that make him think about his situation. Tommy keeps changing the subject to keep Rickman from organizing his thoughts.

Questions I'm really looking for answers to are:
    (1) What are the burnt planning?
    (2) What is Flavius planning?
    (3) Which angels is Flavius worried about?

The other questions about Soldiers, undead, and Rickman's boss lying are just in there to plant seeds of doubt.

The answers to the rest are nice, but not the priority if you have to pick and choose.

If Tommy's approach starts working and Rickman starts spouting real answers we can handwave over the rest of the play by play, if that's fine with you. I'm good to RP it as well.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-21 at 06:55 PM.

10. - Top - End - #310
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Questions for Rickman

Although he grunts in sincere fear and pain at being accosted (pain more due to the injuries he already received than current things), he seems rather resolute to not answer. To the first few direct questions, he gives half-serious answers (false objectively, but true to him), as "who is your boss" gets a "a better person than you" in response. But he starts to shush the sarcasm as his fear increases.

But he holds silent, mostly.
    "What happens to humans working for the Burnt?"
    "They tend to be thugs who die or get used. The smart ones become undead rather than burn forever for that fool Belial."
    "Why do you think what happened to them won't happen to you?"
    He barks out a laugh in response; your Resonance can't read such clearly as it is not words, but it shows he sincerely considers himself not as the Burnt in whom he serves.

"What angels do you know of?"
    "Well, you all who crashed the party. Turned out that cop was an angel, I guess. Maybe that loanshark Tommy. But I'm mostly need-to-know. Don't need to know."
    Mostly true in concept, but false in particulars. He's unsure about Tommy, and he doesn't know who Inian or Rezzial are though he's sure they're angels. He does know of the angelic Tethers and that they have Seneschals, but not who they are; he just stays away from those areas.

One question got him particularly talkative, though. When asked what Neal was doing with the Burnt, he smirks.
    "So, y'all knew he wasn't Fire? Well, good riddance to the psychopath. Fire is bad enough, but Death is worse and stupider. Fool showed up, killed one of the leaders of the Burnt, then claimed his position. Balrog took his oath of loyalty. I'm glad he's dead. And here's a freebie. Whore by the name of Brittany. She's an Impudite. Question any of the ladies of the night and you'll probably find her. And there's a shedite named Florus floating around, making people pyromaniacs."
    The Resonance here is rather revealing, especially as to why he is telling the truth. He is being honest, at least as far as he knows, and philosophically you see he views the "burn everything" and "kill everything" attitudes of Belial and Saminga as stupid.
    But Neal was supposed to help Flavius and Trip. Rickman doesn't know the details, but he's bitter his boss got screwed. Seems likely whatever Neal was up to (Rickman doesn't know), Balrog seemed a better ally than Trip.
    Florus likewise betrayed Trip by supporting Balrog, at least in Flavius' mind and to Rickman's knowledge. Rickman is hoping that by spilling some info, he can help his boss get rid of those opposing Trip.

Another one also gives some insight: about O'Rourke.
    "She's hot?" he asks, but then reflexively flinches as he expects a scare or blow for the sarcasm. But the Resonance peals through that she is (in addition to hot) terrifying but a grand potential ally, if things go according to plan. (He doesn't know why or how, except Lust and Theft are friendly.)
    He also knows she's a high-ranking demon of Lust, and assumes you probably know she's a high-ranking demon of Lust, but doesn't want to say that just in case.

To the last question -- "has your boss every lied to you?" -- he smiles.
    "I believe in my boss. I was a con artist sleazeball as a kid, got in trouble but bailed out by a crime boss I had helped a couple times. Figured the law was a better way to play my cards than cons. Look out for number 1, because no one else will, right?

"Well, kinda wrong. Others will look out for you if you make it worth their while. My boss wanted me to do some stuff for him, before I knew about Heaven and Hell. I did it well. He eventually saw an... affinity in how I screwed folk and bent the law. He also saw my potential, and asked if I'd sell my soul to Hell for power and a position in the afterlife. Once I realized he was sincere, I said yes. I'm sure I'm going to hell anyway -- tried going honest a couple years, but never appealed to me -- so why not?
    "Maybe he's lying in some ways, and I'll have my soul tortured, but it's not like I've got any better fate waiting for me. Even if his plans fail -- and, by how much you're asking me, I reckon he or Trip are alive so here's hoping they won't -- I think he'll keep me around. Ghost-butler or something, if he's stuck in Hell once he loses his body. But if he wins, even if I'm dead... well, a life of ease in the afterlife for me.
    "So, kill me if you gonna. I won't betray him or his cause."

The truth of the statement is blasphemous in the strength of his faith. There are some avenues where he would betray Flavius -- enough torture or deprivation will eventually break him -- but he'd commit suicide if possible before letting it come to that. He's contemplating if he should bite out his own tongue or not. He doesn't think he'll be rescued, but is hopeful, even if a despairing hope. All his real hope is on Hell.

As the weight of his speech darkens the room, he smirks and adds:
    "Oh--and. by the way. That Holy Hand Grenade you took from me is rigged to blow you apart if an angel or Soldier of Heaven uses it. Just a word of caution."

An absolute lie. He's asking in part to try to figure out if a Seraph is questioning him. He guesses one is, based on the litany of questions. He and Flavius did call it the Holy Hand Grenade of Antioch, though.

Spoiler: truth of his past
    Show
    Do you happen to have watched Better Call Saul, the spinoff from Breaking Bad? Because his story is a lot like that, but no good influences.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-21 at 09:49 PM.

11. - Top - End - #311

RedKnightGirl

Only what’s freely given.” Carol replied innocently. “Information, ideally. I do have a role to maintain. But mostly I’m interested in people like you. We agree the city’s bad enough already, and you strike me as the powerful type – someone that can handle themselves in a scrap. Calabite, perhaps? Between us, we might agree enough on areas that could benefit with a few potential tweaks. Actually, I have a friend that’s a little hands on herself. Trouble is, I’m not exactly sure where to take her if she comes out of a fight worse off. Do you know anyone that might help patch her up if needs be?

Spoiler: Fast Talk again?
    Show

I’m somewhere between thinking Fast Talk is not the least bit needed, and thinking the only reason I get anything is potentially these rolls. It’s a weird feeling.

Anyway, best case scenario, I’m hoping to see if he has any information on Ikorial. Issac seems pretty well connected, and like he’s been in the area for a while, so just in case. Otherwise, at least trying to figure out his celestial Band, and maybe even get him talking about what he’d like to see change in the city?

Fast Talk, TN 12:

(1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[2]
    Check digit: (1d6+6)[12]

12. - Top - End - #312
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Issac is quiet for a little bit, but then gives a short yet friendly laugh.
    "Guess you don't know as much about me as I thought. But that's fine. I guess I can handle myself sort of, but I'm more a lover than a fighter. As for your friend, well, Maddie sent me to Henry at the hospital morgue. Guy's got some medical training, but, when I pried into it, he got into a real 'no questions asked' mentality. Not cheap, either, but did good work. You saw my black eye, maybe, under the make-up I wearing? I got more than that looking into Gluttony's new haunt, and he pulled a bullet out of me... but charged me double what going to the ER would have. Said it was the cost for not answering questions."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-22 at 10:23 PM.

13. - Top - End - #313

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

"Flavius ever tell you about celestial death? Death that comes from tearing the soul of an angel or demon into little component parts? About how angels and demons end? You seem to be banking a lot of hope on one little demon. He's like one little ant crawling on a pile of s**t. The big ants don't care about that little thing when it hobbles back home missing a leg, torn up. He ain't getting a parade and a marching band. No. Sometime the big ants like to eat the weak ones, the maimed ones, and feed them to the rest. That's your beacon of hope, there. That's where you've placed your faith. One. little. ant."

"Seems to me your best play is to stay alive. In a year, maybe I'll be dead. Maybe your boss will pull his scheme off and get a promotion. Maybe the horse will sing. The best way for you to do that is to tell me everything. I'm one of the good guys. I'm not gonna kill you. But if you don't make yourself useful, I'm gonna do something far worse. I'm gonna throw you out. I'll let the rest of the big ants come at you."

"So I'm gonna leave you sitting here for now. You've already told me more than enough. You've snitched on three demons and insulted two demon princes, on tape. You've told me that Theft has a plan for this city, and that tells me plenty. When I come back, I want you to start filling in the blanks. Every grift, every business, every hustle. Every closet with skeletons in it."

Tommy stands, grabs Rickman by both collars, lifts him up, and puts him down in the corner. Then he pushes Rickman's head back and puts the gag back on. Then he steps out. He tells the guard outside "this one's tough. We're gonna get him used to doing what we say. In an hour, bring him some food and water. Finger food only, nothing he can hurt himself with. Tell him not to make a sound. He so much as snickers, take it away. Dump it on his head, gag him, tie him down tight, and let him smell it for another hour. Next hour, do the same thing again. Once he gets hungry and tired enough to obey instructions, call me back. You understand what I'm saying? You OK with that?"

Then Tommy goes back to the bar and debriefs everyone on what Rickman already told him and the Truth of it, and asks for feedback on what to talk to Gillian about. If Joanna isn't there yet he'll give her a call. And then he makes an order - "Need someone to go to the military surplus store and buy me one of those dud grenades. Just like this one, complete with a pin and a spoon that pops off."
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-23 at 02:22 AM.

14. - Top - End - #314

RedKnightGirl

Lightbulb Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Carol stifled a squeak of excitement on hearing about the secretive soul in the morgue, the first Ikorial lead she had since her weeks of enjoying the mundane life in Star Valley. But it could just as easily be a Soldier of Death. A servant of Neal, now coping without a master. She made a sound of agreement when Issac asked her about his black eye, not daring to talk unless her grin reflect off her words. But Issac mentioning Haagenti’s influence helped, although it sounded no more than demonic politics playing out. The celestial on the other side wasn’t quite at the place of caring about humanity yet.

As long as you’re still in one piece, that’s the important thing, Issac. A lot of women would have a grudge if you didn’t. Kind of surprised she still tries, though. You’d think in a city where every major Tether hates her, she’d get the text by now. If you don’t mind, I might drop by her place. See what good I can do. Where’s her new haunt?

Spoiler: Fast Talk again?
    Show

And that post just convinced me FT is basically the best skill ever, in the right context.

Fast Talk, TN 12: Hoping to get the last little bit – where Gluttony is hiding?

(1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[6]
    Check digit: (1d6+6)[7]

15. - Top - End - #315
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Interrogation

At first, Rickman looks defiant at Astarieth's speech. Although he's quiet, you get the impression he's more in-the-know than most Soldiers: he likely does know about celestial death, and that Flavius isn't high in the pecking order. But, by the end, it seems some doubt has creep in.

The bar

The Soldier nods at the directions and, after looking to Jerechial for a confirming nod from the seneschal, agrees to Astarieth's orders. Arrangements are also made to get a dud grenade, once one of the stores opens. (There is a friend of a friend of an in-the-know of Jerechial's, and calls could be made, but the Seneschal isn't wanting to stress his men with what might potentially be coming in the fallout of this night.)

And Joanna has arrived. There was a bit of questioning at the front door, and she's been made to wait outside until Astarieth vets her, but the guards were pleasant enough.

Spoiler: advice
    Show
    Going to roll a luck thing for Joanna giving advice
    (3d6)[5][6][4](15)
    Fail, but not so bad she's giving actively bad advice.

Noting that Manakel or Rezzial could use their Resonance on her to try to gain insight, but Manakel being as wounded as he is... might be a bad show.

Joanna is somewhat at a loss for giving advice. She could offer some legal advice, of course, if the girl wants to try to turn another leaf. And she probably has some trauma in her past to be a prostitute for a gang. Mostly, Joanna seems tired and feels bad for not being too helpful. Jerechial kindly gives her a cup of coffee.

Camael, Redemption

Issac pauses again, a bit more hesitation and some fear in his voice now.

"L-listen. I buy you got my interests in mind, even if it's for your own good long-term. And I get why you don't know about me; I'm real low-tier and just pledged recently. But I'm pretty sure everyone in town heard about the new Seneschal at Poppy's Diner. The Baron of Fast Food.
    "Gluttony is no friend of Lust, so I don't mind telling you it exists, but you must be really new, unconnected, and-or in-the-outs to not know that. Don't mean any personal insult by that, but just what it shows. So-- well, call me later if you want to trade info, but it's probably best I stop talking for tonight."
    "Oh, and if you gotta go by Henry, tell him Issac from Oblivion sent you. He said referrals that aren't cops might yield a discount later on."

He hangs up.

Spoiler
    Show
    Terminology: pledged -- to pledge as a demon or angel is to become one. by getting your 7th (for demons) or 9th (for angels) Force. That is, Issac was an imp or grelim until recently (though whether that's weeks, months, or years isn't clear from his tone).

Also: Baron -- highest of the three normal ranks of demonic Distinction. So whoever this is, he's really high-rank. And makes sense if he has the Word of Fast Food.

Feel free to enter the bar; we can consider y'all at the same time now.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-23 at 10:13 PM.

16. - Top - End - #316

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler: summary
    Show

Guess Isaac thinks I’m actually Fallen, with the huge issue that might come with that (Meguilliel) if word gets around, and send him a quick thank you text (for all the info). Enter bar. Tether of the Sword still feels Swordy. See a bunch of Judgement angels and others. Happy Inian’s good. Guess the Seraphs are talking shop elsewhere. Try to get pretty, pretty birds (?) to hop on hands to resonance and ask who they are.

Carol listened wordlessly, phone pressed to ear, tranquil despite Issac’s obvious discovery she was notably disconnected from the demonic community. The likely Djinn still spewed details before he killed the conversation abruptly afterwards. It threw her back to the largely empty parking area she was in, with notably fewer motorcycles and cars than even the night before. Some feet away were the three mortal guardians, and she was then uneasily aware she had allowed herself to be distracted and exposed directly outside a celestial stronghold on the same night of a major assault. She shuffled the feet towards the threshold to safety as the conversation went through her head again.

Hiding behind humanity, speaking the dark tongue, blindly grasping at clues to the bigger picture, Carol reviewed her own inelegant espionage, wondering how Balseraphs managed to make an entire existence out of falsehoods. At best, it’s like the freshly Fallen; stumbling into an entirely new city. Associate too closely, and Meguilliel takes an interest in us both. But Isaac still tried to help. Gratitude growing in her chest, she immediately texted Issac a succinct thank you before going indoors.

The unmistakeable shift in atmosphere uplifted as suddenly as before, much like entering the cool AC of an office from a mild sunny day. Carol breathed in the urge to honour every word and respect every Superior, let out a want to polish every atom of her soul, the hunger to hunt all Diabolicals down. While these all and more marched lockstep through her soul, she glanced at those present.

Manning the makeshift central post was the Sword Senechal himself, appearing unharmed, various forms of paperwork arrayed around him. But besides Roman standing guard, every angel of Judgement in the area down to the injured Manakel were present, save the two Seraphim likely talking elsewhere. For all the unyielding certainty she hadn’t wanted the Elohite to become a melting and tortured effigy, it was the sight of the tall and muscle-bound angel of War with only the lightest sprinkling of burns and scraps that gave her any relief. The call for help hadn’t cost her a friend. Front and centre on a table that passed for reception were two birds – a kyriotate or two in possessed form. But it was hard to tell which; likely Stone for all the violence of the night.

Sorry, we Mercurians aren’t as versatile as Dominations.” With all the aplomb of a Disney princess dressed on her unchaperoned night out, Carol placed upturned palms on the table before the two birds, the invite obvious. “Who am I lucky enough to speak with?

Spoiler: Fast Talk/Resonance Gaspariel
    Show

I already have Daisy at resonance 4, thankfully. So this is mostly for Gaspariel.

1) Fast Talk Gaspariel: (Stone kyrio to hop on my hand, if only to excuse +2 resonance.)

(1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[6]
    Check digit: (1d6+6)[12]

2) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on Gaspariel.

Target Number 8.

(1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[3]
    Check digit: (1d6+2)[3]

17. - Top - End - #317
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Jerechial gives a smile.
    "Glad you made it, Carol, and that you're safe. Balrog's in Trauma. Flavius and Trip got away, but we got two Soldiers being interrogated. Some lawyer named Harold Rickman and a girl called Gillian. Mary's on her way. Want a drink while we wait?"

---

One bird gives a friendly chirp and answers, "Daisy, here, dear."

The other is hopping from one map to another, as if comparing notes. Not rudely, but obviously distracted by whatever he's analyzing, he says simply, "Gaspariel."

Spoiler: Resonance 3 on Gaspariel
    Show

1 = he views himself as an established, helpful, and honorable member of the angelic community
    2 = for most part, he is viewed as such. There's some minor distaste for how focused he is on his job (as opposed to helping out others), but such is viewed as reasonable: it is following David's orders, if a bit too narrow-mindedly.
    3 = he is known simply as Gaspariel. His interests are reinforcing senses of community and strength in humans, studying geomancy (particularly regarding Star Valley), and anthropomorphic trends (studying human societal patterns, to better help guide the Commune).

18. - Top - End - #318

RedKnightGirl

Exclamation Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

The more Jerechial outlined the battle with more incidence than injuries, the brighter Carol smiled in turn until the end. Then her countenance collapsed. Muttering a hello to the cheery Seneschal of Flowers, ignoring the stony Gaspariel, she shuffled as if possessed past Inian and Manakel both to practically bump into the bar counter.

Wait. You mean knifes-are-an-accessory Gillian? The Soldier formerly known as Brittany's safety blanket? Dresses like her role model is a mannequin at Ann Summers? That Gillian?” Carol didn’t await an answer. “Oh, hell, Jerechial. And Adewale is no doubt grilling one, and Astarieth another, before they cross-examine both.

Pressing the tips of her fingers into her temples, Carol ground her teeth in frustrated disbelief. “Look, before Judgement decides no good deed goes unpunished, just know we’ve likely got a Baron of Gluttony on our hands, okay? Tether and all. And it’s not Fatima’s, either. Some fighter, but no idea about band or Songs or whatever. It should be at Poppy’s Diner. I’d ask you to delay a little so there’s no obvious link between me hearing and Heaven openly acting on it, but that’s not so important right now.

A calming breathe in, out, and then another. “Jerechial, as an Intercessionist that’s gotten you more good intel in one night than you might have had in over a month, I’m asking for a chance. One to save Gillian. And Harold as well, if possible. Not stopping Judgement’s ruling, if it comes, but adding a nuance before it’s decided. A conversation today to attempt depriving Hell a Balseraph tomorrow.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Really, as much as I’m really into the idea of trying to get them both on a path to redemption (particularly the soldier that’s popped up in my perspective most), I’m (again) still aware of the idea of the Judgement Seraphim attunement, and it does make sense they might get first dibs to question prisoners. So rather than Fast Talk roll it right away, this is more registering interest sort of? I’m keen to try but there’s got to be some kind of middle ground to all this.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-08-24 at 06:13 PM.

19. - Top - End - #319

Inian looks up from the magazine he had been reading while pacing around and smiles at Carol when she walks in. He is likewise happy that she seems to have gotten away from that Demon unharmed and that his glare doesn't seem to have put her off coming. When she bursts out into an argument, he puts his hands up with what he hopes is a pacifying gesture.

"Carol, hey, don't leap to conclusions. It's just Fortisimos, Astarieth, and some guards back there. No one's planning on killing them yet." He looks to Jerechial for support for this assertion before continuing. "If Judgement can't get what they want out of them, I'm sure you'll be the next one they ask for help, especially since you've got some ins with the Burnt. That should give you time to talk to them and try to convince them to return to the right hand path."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

20. - Top - End - #320

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Tommy steps back into the bar after grilling Rickman to see Carol and Inian talking about something; Joanna looking a little lost and tired behind a cup of coffee, and the other angels going about their business.

"Aight, just talked to Rickman. He's still holding out, but he gave me some stuff. Fire still has two demons at large right now - Florus and Brittany. Flavius and Trip are both Theft, and Theft has an agenda in the city right now that he knows but hasn't given me much on. Fire and death were working something together, but that may be over the bridge.

Rickman's gonna take a while before he starts really talking, he's still got a lot of defenses up. Got Gillian set up in another room. Was gonna start talking to her soon. Working a good cop approach with her."

Tommy sits down and takes a breather. Interviews like the one with Rickman are emotionally draining, even for folks like him who've been doing it for hundreds of years. "Any of y'all got some updates? Anything you want me to talk to Gillian about?"

Spoiler: Context
    Show
    I'm putting Tommy in the scene without having heard Carol's concerns, since they were obviously written on with him not in the room. He's definitely looking for feedback on the way ahead and approach.

When he gets a moment, Tommy goes to Joanna and thanks her for coming. "Here's the recording of everything I heard from Rickman. Nothing that can be taken public at this point, but I want to think ahead. Rickman knows corrupt cops, and handles a lot of the official business for the burnt. How do we start getting information that we can take to court or to the cops to try and get some of this corruption handled above-board?"
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-25 at 11:55 AM.

21. - Top - End - #321

RedKnightGirl

Carol’s features relaxed into a half smile as Inian intervened, but squinted confusedly at his assertion to let Dominician’s decide when to include Redemption. “You’re lucky I know you’re better than a Fire Seneschal, or I’d fight you on that.” Her arms folded, but appeared otherwise placated. “Thanks for showing up out there, by the by. You and Jerechial basically saved the day. I’m guessing Astarieth as well?

Astarieth emerged out of one of the side doors, slumped into a stool nearby, with only fatigue, odd cuts and burnt clothes to confirm. He immediately shared details. Carol nodded absent-mindedly through them – her day spent with Fire celestials – halting only at Trip’s Word. Brittany’s warning replayed in her head. She scratched her head as one of Judgement’s Holiest of Holies preferred to take a long siege to Harold’s reluctance, and blinked owlishly at hearing Gillian somehow earned a softer touch. Plea deal? Seems a long detour on a short road. She pursed her lip at the obvious avoidance to ask her to intervene with misguided humans, but managed to relay the news about a likely Baron of Gluttony manning a Tether at Poppy’s Diner. Her head shook plainly at attempting to filter questions through the alien resonance.

Nothing Judgement worthy.” Carol went thoughtfully quiet. “Good summary, though. How long until other angels can speak to the Soldiers?” she asked, looking between Seneschal and angelic interrogator.

Show
    Worse case scenario, I start speaking/attempting to resonance Fortissimo?
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-08-26 at 05:47 AM.

22. - Top - End - #322

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    Nothing Judgement worthy.” Carol went thoughtfully quiet. “Good summary, though. How long until other angels can speak to the Soldiers?” she asked, looking between Seneschal and angelic interrogator.

"Rickman's going to be tough. I'm gonna need to be the only person he talks to until he breaks and actually starts talking. Once his defenses are down and he starts cooperating either you can field questions to me for him or we can talk with him together."

Then Tommy sighs, starting to psych himself up for the next interview. He locks eyes with Carol and says: "I'm fine with you talking to Gillian right now, alongside me, if you think it will help get her to cooperate. Have you met her before? Does she know you're an angel? I think she'll be more cooperative with me initially because I saved her life when Balrog tried to kill her. She might put up some defenses if I try to pry into people she's loyal to."

"Have you done this before? My objective with talking to them right now is solely to get information about what they know, right now, before the Enemy cleans everything out and disperses. You want to help with that?"

23. - Top - End - #323
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

As Inian and, later, Astarieth tell Carol about their intentions towards the Soldiers right now, Jerechial also adds: "Killing Soldiers of Hell is the default, but if there seems to be no major risk at them breaking free and no major objections from their captor, which in this case is Astarieth, and some reasonable chance for salvation, I will not stand in the way of them being passed on to you, Mary, or another of your Superior's Servitors.
    "Also, Mary and, I just heard, Origenius are coming. He's usually happy to tell the Destiny of someone. He might charge you the essence it costs him, for a Soldier, but I reckon he'd be willing to at least. The only real chance they have is true repentance and ideally fulfilling their Destiny. I've never seen a Soldier of Hell do either, but I admit I've heard of it happening and seen a couple in Heaven over the millenia."

---

At the news about a Baron Seneschal of Gluttony, looks range across the angels and Soldiers of Heaven from fear to anger. Jerechial lets out a heavy sigh.

"I was gonna wait to tell you this until more of you were here, but Melektas was recalled from the city. David needs her for something bad going on in Europe. But, before she left, she confirmed there was a Tether at Poppy's Diner. The manager, and apparently CEO of the future-chain, is an seemingly friendly and charitable person. But if it's Fast Food... that's bad. He's not one to trifle with, from what I've heard. Lots of power, lots of Songs, and lots of support.
    "From what I've heard, his usual style is to start off managing a fast food chain, then give his vessel to an imp or gremlin that proves itself, along with the Forces to be a Seneschal and, if he can manage it, the Word of the chain. Haagenti approves since that monster was an imp so long. If the chain fails, the Word dies and the demon with it. If it thrives, then, well, we got a powerful demon sticking around."
    "Our safest move -- not necessarily the best, but safest -- is to leave him alone until he appoints a replacement. But I don't know if we can afford that."

Gaspariel jumps up and down and chirps frantically with an annoyed tone, pecking at a map of the city with a pentagram mapped on it.

Jerechial continues, "Yeah... Stone noticed the geomantic energy around the diner was stronger. It's like that around the school, too, the one where Ramiel was and it seems a Tether to Factions almost formed. Not sure what's up, but it looks like it's getting easier to make Tethers."

Spoiler: on Melektas
    Show
    Y'all don't have to worry about whatever it is in Europe. This was just an IC way to write her out of the story.
    For what it's worth, Manakel will be recalled to Heaven sooner than later.

---

Besides those comments and some casual talk between things, Jerechial is content to let the others handle things as they will. Even if biased against Redemption, he is not opposed to Camael's involvement.

24. - Top - End - #324

RedKnightGirl

Carol nodded appreciably when it was shared Astareith had saved Gillian’s life, but her arms remained where they were. A small grimace and outright cringe answered the oversight burdened, plodding information-gathering protocols of the one man NSA. The burden of finding evidence was his, and he clearly upheld it. Jerechial weighed in himself, at least offering the mortal lives weren’t forfeit. Hung above and behind the Seneschal, she noticed for the first time a clock that had for it’s hands a broadsword and rapier, both still a healthy amount of time away from crossing.

There was a human – a newspaper columnist, among other things. Will Rogers. He said that if you ever injected truth into politics, you have no politics.

Carol looked meaningfully back at the Dominician. “A Reliever of Judgement can’t help you learn what you need to learn, in the short period of time it’s crucial for your Word to learn it, Astareith. A Mercurian of Redemption can.” She smiled grimly. “Luck, Seraphim.

Spoiler: edited in Seraphim resonance roll to clarify
    Show

Below edited in because the above was unclear? It makes sense a Seraphim would know the intent of earlier WORDSWORDSWORDS, so wouldn’t have to ask (unless to make a funny point), so putting this in to confirm that I’m going to wait for Destiny/chat with Fortissimo.

Does the speaker think they’re lying?

Camael thinks she’s honest.

If they lied, which is most false?

Nothing, from her perspective.

Why lie or tell the truth, as the speaker knows it?

Camael is telling the truth as playing at Heavenly politics at the moment is unlikely to help her Word. She leaned on her role knowledge to bring up Will Rogers’ quote for that reason.

What does the speaker believe to be true?

Camael believes what was suggested was better than what many Judgement Seraphim might offer, but that it was too heavily burdened with Heavenly politics to accept. Taking the strangely long route in questioning Harold seems like a gamble that allows Theft and Fire more time to rearrange assets, and burn evidence. But her charm resonance, Journalist intern role, and Mercurian resonance are all public knowledge Astarieth has either shown awareness of earlier, or would know off-hand regardless. They’re all excellent tools to gather information immediately. This is compounded by both Soldiers being literally captive audiences. So, in her eyes, a Seraphim of Judgement indirectly rejecting them through notable restrictions is probably political.

Whatever unique mixture of Triad interplay with an autonomous angel exists, the weekly Superior check ins to justify himself, however high or low the personal (dis)trust of herself is, and an attempt to hedge out her Word in any meaningful sense; she believes these are all likely factors. But she believes they’re ironically causing a bigger and unnecessary gamble than Judgement needs to take, at a time when gathering information is seemingly more time-sensitive to its own Word.

In essence, the distinctive and different harmonics at play – Seraphim & Mercurian, Judgement & Redemption – seem to be smudging the intentions to gather information or saving souls. A counteroffer would be naive in that light. Filtering all questions through the Seraphim, not speaking to the stubborn Soldier she could get information from immediately, so on; it’s all understandably helpful to Dominic. But it’s also the equivalent of her becoming a Reliever of Judgement, without any true hint of room to pursue her Redemptive work during. Metanoia wouldn’t like it. Between that or letting the Seraphim do his crucial role, she attempted to diplomatically stand aside.

Does the speaker know the actual Truth?

Yes.

What is the real Truth?

Relievers of Judgement, while made of the same three Forces of most other celestials, are still fundamentally different in resonance from a Mercurian of Redemption. It’s impossible for even a holy Seraphim to change her resonance without the intervention of more powerful sources.

Carol reconsidered the room’s occupants, the room rich with Judgement, eyes finally settling on the slumped form that housed the soul of a cherub. Knowing Origenuis was already on the way, she asked the celestial bartender for any soft drink he had, and Fortisimos’ favourite, trusting Jerechial in the decision. Armed with the two drinks, she strolled over to the formerly welcoming angel, engrossed in his phone, and nudged his shoulder gently.

Hey, Fortisimos. I know you’re busy and all, but I was hoping you might like this.” She placed the drink before him. “Done by our one and only Seneschal of the Sword, no less. You mind if I join you?

Spoiler: Actions/Attempt Resonance Fortissimo
    Show

But 2 drinks (soft drink and whatever Jerechial might know for Fortissimo’s favourite) and go over to the mopy Cherub. Ask if he’s okay with having company.

1) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on Fortissimo.

Target Number 8.

(1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[1]
    Check digit: (1d6+2)[8]

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-08-29 at 08:38 AM.

25. - Top - End - #325

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Tommy blinks confusedly at Carol's response: "Not sure what you're telling me. Do you want to come in and talk with Gillian right now or not? What do you want?"

Show
    Maybe it's persnoal fatigue talking (makes it easier to RP IC fatigue), but I honestly can't tell whether you're telling Tommy your character wants to go talk to these folks now or at some future date. Tommy's making a sincere offer, and asking a sincere question when he asks "what do you want?"
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-08-28 at 10:25 AM.

26. - Top - End - #326
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War: side scene

Spoiler: side scene
    Show
    It seems like not much for Inian to do in this scene, so I'm going to skip ahead a bit later into that night for him.
    Feel free to still post for the "present", but this way you can go ahead and RP this.

Later that evening, when alone, the silence becomes palable as Inian senses a being of immense power behind him. Turning around, he sees the a 7-foot muscular man wearing blue jeans and bearing a battle axe across his left shoulder, with shining white wings from his back.
    Michael, Archangel of War.

The voice speaks with pride, strength, and kindness.
    "Good work today, my soldier. Not only was the efforts towards war furthered, but it was done so such that even Dominic cannot wisely accuse us or The Sword of pursuing it."

The Bar

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I read Camael as wanting to come with Astarieth to talk to Gillian, but I'll let JoyWonderLove clarify. I'll go ahead and do the talking to Fortisimos, though. It's okay if things aren't completely in chronological order.

Jerechial recommends a light lager for the cherub. He looks a bit startled at Camael's words, having been absorbed in his phone, but politely puts it away and has a weary smile.
    "Sure, you can sit. I heard the day's been busy for you, huh?"

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show

1-Fortisimos considers himself in relatively low esteem, especially compared to the others in his Triad.
    2-However, he is generally respected. Seen as powerful and with the proper discernment needed by a Cherub of Judgement.
    3-He is known in angelic circles by his name, but the humans he interacts with call him Freddie. He enjoys reading history books and science fiction. He volunteers at several homeless shelters and visits prisoners.
    4-He maintains several relationships with people he works with in his volunteering, and has strong relationships as a mentor to several prisoners. He gets along well with Rezzial, and fairly well if feeling strained by Adewale. And, of course, Dominic as his master. He also has a strong sense of guilt towards the celestial he slew recently.
    5-He considers all such relationships important as his duty and obligation. You sense a lot of conflict in relationships between guilt and duty.
    6-Fortisimos' life has been one of stability and service. He was created a couple hundred years ago as a Servitor of Judgement and has faithfully served as a Triad, attuning to those under scrunity and working to investigate charges and, when necessary, inflict punishment. He prefers rehabilitation work, both with celestials and (moreso since less bureaucracy involved) humans who had had hard times and done their penace.

Interrogation

Spoiler: Option A or B
    Show
    To facilitate things, I'll write up two things, based on whether it's just Astarieth or Astarieth and Camael.

Spoiler: if Astarieth
    Show

When the Seraph enters, Gillian is sitting at a table, her eyes darting with a quizzical look to the Seraph. Her food looks untouched, except that she'd poked around in it with her fingers. She starts to speak, but then pulses her lips, as if trying to decide what to say and how mean (if at all) to say something.

Spoiler: if both enter
    Show

When the duo enters, Gillian is sitting. Her eyes dart to the Seraph with a quizzical expression, but then her expression blanches and her face turns pale at seeing Camael. She stutters, looks of shock to rage to disbelief, and, shaking slightly, she says, "Y-you! Wh-what, who are you?" With some tears and both pain and rage in her voice, she cries, "What happened to Brittany!?"

Her fists are clenched against the table's wood, as if she's took shaken to move.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-08-28 at 08:09 PM.

27. - Top - End - #327

RedKnightGirl

All kinds of, yeah. Started with Mary and me hitting up what was, scientifically speaking, every other muffin and burger place in the history of mankind. Trying to find a friend of hers. But we managed to go everywhere except, you know, the really popular one with the huge Gluttony Tether? Yeah. I’m sure I’m like this close from swinging a detective badge out of Adewale. Anyway! We hit up a bar around, what, maybe twelve? Midday. FYI – I don’t recommend going anywhere you need a getaway car for. Blah, blah, blah. Saw an awfully familiar looking cop taking centre stage at the afterparty, my inner Canadian said puck that, and suddenly Inian is starting a Gang-Mafia war with Fire on the losing end. Now I’m obviously here talking Cherubs and change with you until Origenuis and Mary show up. Hopefully they give me the go ahead to save some souls when they arrive. So, the usual.

Carol sipped at the black beverage, finding it as sweet and fizzy as she remembered it from over a week ago. “What about you? For an angel named after highbrow music, you seem pretty low. How come?

Show

Edited the above post with a Seraphim read, and the quicker confirm that I’ll just talk to Fort instead.

28. - Top - End - #328

"They're getting easier to form?" Inian huffs and frowns, still pacing around the room. "That'd explain why it felt like something was trying to join the Cathedral when I fought N'eal. It also means I'll have to watch the Mather's house more carefully. I only found out after the shooting at the school, but there's a Shedite trying to corrupt him. I saw it leave Jason's art teacher and go into his little brother when I visited. Probably not the one from the school since it didn't attack me on sight."

Turning to Gaspariel, he asks, "Did you find any other locations where the geo...mantic? Energy was stronger?"

Later that night...

Inian had just walked outside for some fresh air and to pray when an overwhelming presence materializes behind him. He turns around, only to see his Archangel and drops immediately to one knee. "My Lord," he says. "You honor me with your kind words. I just wish we had been able to defeat more of the Demons when we had the chance. I don't know if what we did was enough to make them want to retaliate while they're disorganized instead of lying low for a while."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

29. - Top - End - #329

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

WIP - Trying to figure out What Camael Wants

When the Seraph enters, Gillian is sitting at a table, her eyes darting with a quizzical look to the Seraph. Her food looks untouched, except that she'd poked around in it with her fingers. She starts to speak, but then pulses her lips, as if trying to decide what to say and how mean (if at all) to say something.
    "Hello. I'm Tommy. I want you to tell me about what's going on with the demons in this city. I've got a lot of questions, and need a lot of information.

I am going to touch your shoulder right now to focus my senses on you. First, do you have any questions for me?"

He steps up to her and puts his hand on her shoulder, simply and matter-of-factly. Then he sits down comfortably across the room from Gillian, locks eyes with her, and waits for her response.

Spoiler: Approach
    Show
    Resonance: (1d6)[4](1d6)[3] check digit: (1d6)[4]
    Perception: (1d6)[4](1d6)[1] check digit: (1d6)[1]

Tommy's going with a direct approach, we'll see how it works. If she starts talking immediately he'll go into it immediately, otherwise he'll take the opportunity of her counter questions to assess how resistant she is.

Rough questioning outline:
    1. What are the burnt's goals in the city? What are they doing right now? How has the loss today affected those goals?
    a. How many more burnt demons are at large? Any other soldiers?
    2. What are Theft's goals in the city? What are they doing right now? Why were the burnt working with theft?
    3. What are Lust's goals in the city? How closely do you work with them?
    4. What are Gluttony's goals in the city? How closely do you work with them?
    5. What are Faction's goals in the city? How closely do you work with them?
    6. What are Fate's goals in the city? How closely do you work with them?
    a. is Fate the one teaching Soldiers and Undead how to Sing?
    7. Are there any other demons in the city?
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-09-01 at 09:57 PM.

30. - Top - End - #330
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: on interrogation
    Show

If y'all decide for Camael to help, I could see Astarieth start out on his own then she join. That will work with the below post.

Inian, War (present)

Gaspariel hops around the map, then looks to Daisy. They chirp to each other a bit, then Daisy speaks.

"Each of the inner points has more geomantic energy. But, like the nodes around the points and our Tethers... it's not like they're centered. The Tether to Destiny is in the middle of its node, but mine is on the edge of the geomantic energy. So we don't think it will let us pinpoint where a Tether will form... maybe it's anywhere in the area."

She continues to describe the areas.
    Spoiler: easier to write OOC
    Show

I'm still having a bad sense of geography, and sorry for that to y'all, but here's a rough sketch of each forming node.

Lots of energy - area downtown that contains Poppy's Diner. Tether to Gluttony.

Good bit of energy - area that contains Ramiel's school, plus some neighborhoods and small businesses.

Low energy - area that is mostly unpopulated but contains Gravel Pits

Low energy - area that is mostly wooded but contains the Commune (so yay for Stone, probably)

Low energy - area with a lot of businesses, warehouses, and buildings. Nothing really of note there, so hard to tell what could be the area of interest. (It does not contain any spot y'all have alreayd looked at.)

But even the "lots of energy" is less than the points that make up the long-existing Tethers.

Jerechial gives a heavy sigh.
    "Based on what happened at the school, it seems likely Hell knows more than we do about what's going on."

Inian, War (later)

Michael nods approvingly.
    "We shall see. However, I expect that at least one of the demonic groups will act in reprisal, and then we will have the support of the Council to fully move against Hell. I dislike the stalemate that was reached after our last battle here, when Jean withdrew. To aid you in this, I offer you this from my armory."

He waves his hand, and an ethereal gauntlet materializes around your right arm, then solidifies as a heavy-duty work glove. Your mind instantly has an understanding of its properties.

Spoiler: Gauntlet of Corpus
    Show

This is a celestial artifact. In its celestial form, it is a majestic silverly gauntlet. While the owner wears a vessel, it appears as a mundane work glove, though it is extremely resistant to damage. (This is sufficient to count as gloved for purposes of Brawl rolls.)

This artifact allows the user to silently Sing any Numinous Corpus Songs they know as a free action. The Song still needs a successful roll and any essence costs, and such makes Noise as normal, but the user can take any corporeal or celestial actions they desire in the same round (including Singing another Song.)

Camael, Redemption

Fortisimos listens to Camael's description of her day, with a half-hearted chuckle at the comment about Adewale and an approving nod at waiting for Origenius.

To her question, he pauses, then shrugs. "I guess I'm being too obvious about it. And you're friends with Mary now, so she's probably told you. And maybe you saw it in me anyway. No offense taken if you've used your Resonance on me." He sighs. "Slew an Outcast some time ago. Found out later some of the evidence against him was false. Guess the talk about Factions' shedite has me thinking about it more." He takes a deep drink of his beer. "A Servitor of Judgement rarely has regrets, but those we have are heavy ones."

A bit-more guarded expression comes to his eyes. "You seem nice, but I know there's much ire between our Superiors. Adewale and Rezzial know about my feelings. Not that I think you'd tell them to tattle on me, but... well, don't bother if you're thinking about it."

Astarieth, Judgement (with Gillian)

Gillian is quiet at Tommy's opening words, and flinches at his touch, but doesn't resist. At the offer of questions, she asks, "Do you know if Brittany -- Brinniah -- is alive?"

As he starts to ask her questions, she starts talking at first. To her knowledge, the Burnt's goals are to grow in power and influence in the city. Your Resonance says that is true, along with the goal of furthering Fire's Word by how they intimidate. To the question about today's loss, she stutters and can't really form a solid concept. She rambles some, and your Resonance shows the truth that she doesn't know and the Truth that the Burnt are likely shattered. With Balrog gone, and so many leaders (some other Soldiers and undead slain at the party were leaders) dead, it's likely the gang will dissolve into smaller gangs. Balrog had solidified the local gangs into the Burnt, but it's likely some will assert their independence, likely in a bloody fashion.

At the exact question about number of demons of Fire, she pauses.
    "I don't know for sure. Balrog, Brittany, some... shedite, I think they're called. It didn't like it's name being said a lot, but sounds like Flow or Flowers or something strange. Then there's Trip -- big jerk.
    "For other Soldiers, well, you got Rickman, but he's Flavius' goon. Brittany didn't have other Soldiers. Not sure about the others." She goes on to mention a few names, some of them having died at the party, some fled or at large.

Regarding Theft, she pauses. "Flavius is some pansy friend of Trip's. I don't think he really has goals, beyond fun and being a ****. Not sure why he's helping the Burnt. I heard the Prince doesn't like Theft's Prince."
    All true. Also, you get clarification that Trip really is a demon of Fire. (You thought otherwise honestly, so no dissonance for stating he was Theft.) Flavius and Theft do have big plans for the city, but her ignorance and status make it so that she cannot tease out the details from the Symphony.

Regarding Lust and Gluttony, she doesn't know much. They leave Rourke alone, but hope to get influence in the wealthier side of town. She didn't know Gluttony was a Prince or in town. Doesn't know much about Factions or Fate (heard of them, but not know much). To her knowledge, Fate isn't teaching any of the Burnt; they got Songs from their demons or from Belial's blessing.

To the question of other demons, she pauses, and says (truthfully), "Listen. I'm telling you stuff because I don't think it'll hurt Brittany and because I realize I'm probably already dead. This is my best chance for staying alive instead of burning in Hell. Well, burning yet. But if I rat out what I know about others -- not that I probably know most of 'em -- I'm likely to get worse off when I do start burning. So, sorry, not wanting to share that."

The Bar

While Astarieth is questioning Gillian, Fortisimos and Camael are talking, and Inian and the others are discussing Tethers and geomancy, the door opens and in walk Mary and Origenus. The latter says, "I shouldn't stay away from the Tether long, but it sounded like it would be good for me to be here for at least a little bit." He gives a respectful nod and a tip of his hat to Daisy and Jerechial, then places his hat and tweed jacket on a coat rack. Mary looks relieved to see Inian and Camael safe, but gets an annoyed look when she sees who Camael is talking with.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-09-02 at 11:11 AM.