Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #31
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

At the Bar, prophecy

Spoiler: summary
    Show
    Just explaining why I think the last line is maybe about redemption to Mary. Also asking her at the end to please help me with going to the fire tether tomorrow.

Listening intently, the words of a city bathed in miracles or drowned in unknown tragedy sobered Carol to sit stock straight. She waited until the host of the gathering and Seneschal of the Tether stopped speaking. Only after did she smile at him hopefully, hands upraised uncertainly. Rewarded with getting to hold of the script, she unfurled it long enough to reveal a single line.

“My dear Sherlock, how do you feel about playing Prometheus?”

Carol's fingers ran meaningfully back and forth over the last line of Gabriel's ramblings. Rarely did the years young angel truly care what the ancient Archangel sputtered about. It was legendary how Gabriel's titanic soul split the Tether of Fire between herself and Belial, protecting it from being utterly consumed in Hell's cruelty. The struggle also made her erratic and unstable.

But Yves taking it seriously means we need to focus.

The Mercurian whipped out her android phone and quickly typed out the entire text before saving it on her notes app. Even as she handed the script back to Jerechial, Carol's eyes glinted at the brunette the same as before teleporting the teenaged vessel, only with her shoulders squared with a determination unseen before. Her voice low, she leaned in conspiratorially.

“That line is on us. Something only we can pull off.” She showcased the text again, double-checking her presumptions. “If this prophecy is a thing, Michael's normal approach won't beat Belial. The war is cold, his angels outnumbered. But Gabriel admits flipping the Tether into her arms isn't our brightest move, either. Maybe it won't reduce her strain?” She guessed, shrugging. “So, not War, and not Fire. Every Triad angel I've ever met wouldn't know subtly and nuance if a bright lillim flirted with them. So Judgement is never going to figure out the last line.” Her shoulders sagged as she continued. “We might not even be able to rely on Flowers for this one. Belial has mainly terrorized humans, and Roman outside was saying Daisy only cares about foliage?”

Camael scrunched her face in confusion. The entire ethos of Flowers had been peacekeeping and co-operation, and it was the very reason the Mercurian worked at redeeming souls, that there would never be another celestial to war against. With no war between heaven and hell, they could fully forgive one another and focus entirely on serving the well-being of humanity. Novalis would never allow a Seneschal that only cared about trees taking root, would she? Even as the Friend of Man thought on it, she frowned at her answer.

“If Daisy really is like that, we have to count Flowers out, too. The Sword is coordinating soldiers on a city wide scale and Stone is, well, Stone. Way too straight-forward, and all of them busy bringing their survival club back up to excellence. So, War, Fire, Judgement,” The Redemption angel touched a finger for each holy Word named. “No, no, hell no. Flowers, Sword, Stone. Zip, zero, nada. Oh. But Revelations sent some homeless guy in a trenchcoat. Hmm” She tucked her left elbow into her right hand, tapping a finger lightly just above her pink lips in faux thoughtfulness. “Should we just stick him in the maybe pile?”

Carol grinned happily, straining to keep her voice quiet. “Mary, it's us! Who else?! Force and mirroring are destined to fail here. What do you say we both head out tomorrow and make first contact with the Fire Tether? It'll be easy. My role, your self-defence, our words – we could make a huge difference in the number of lives we change! We save! You in?” Her eyes were all expectancy and hope.

Spoiler: newspapers
    Show
    There's at least 2 stories I want to look into, but this feels long enough to stand by itself. Plus I want to see first if Mary says no way for a certain understandable reason, or yes, or on the fence.

2. - Top - End - #32
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

The other angels start to gather newspapers and look through them.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I know I said M/W/F for updates, but I figured I'd continue the conversation a tad.

Mary bites her lip nervously as she contemplates Carol's words.
    "Daisy... is oddly focused, yeah. She does follow Novalis' teachings, but I think she's from before humans existed, so her focus is... different from most. I don't think humans even lived here when she was given her Tether." She sighs. "For the rest, yeah, I agree with you. The Sword and Judgement aren't our friends in this, and Michael is Michael. Stone... unless one of the new ones are different, I think we can count them out. Andreson... I don't know. A 'maybe'. He's nice, but odd. I think he lost a few ethereal Forces back during the Fall."

After Carol finishes, with a worried expression, Mary very quietly whispers, "Approaching Fire? Carol, our Superior told me she told you who I really am, was. I got a new vessel, but if Trip or Flavius figure out it's me, I'll probably have to skip town, maybe earth, to keep Megulliel from killing me." She sighs. "But you're right. Being an angel means putting others, including our Word, first. For Redemption, for their souls -- human and demon... I'm willing to go. I am scared, but I'm no gray hiding in Heaven. I want to serve."

She squeezes Carol's hand tightly, the worried expression still upon her face, but a determined and confident gleam in her eyes.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-01-16 at 10:11 AM.

3. - Top - End - #33
    Pixie in the Playground

Malektas at Destiny's Table
    Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Gaspariel gives Melektas a nod and Medim raises her beer in toast as the robin flies off towards the somewhat-crowded table.

The Seneschal of Destiny smiles and says, "Greetings. I gather you are one of the Dominations, yes?"
    "You gather correctly!" the robin chirrups brightly. "I'm Melektas of Stone. I'm one of the Dominations- and also, right now, three of them! That's me over there with Daisy and Valufiel-" the two robins wing-wave to each other- "and me over there with Judgment," with a wing-wave to the hooded woman, who waves back. "Is he really named 'Manacle'?" the bird wonders softly. "That seems a little on the nose."

"Anyway, you have gathered correctly, and now you have gathered me! Which is to say, I thought I should introduce myself to Destiny, and to everyone else. The Archangel sent me here to help with the war effort. I figure that means the Sword and War, and Destiny's a big part of everything we do, and really we're all in this together, so I want to meet everyone and do what I can to help.

"Which means I should meet everyone! Ramiel, right?" The bird bobbles to the younger celestial. "Of War. Good to meet you. I'm Melektas, Kyriotate of Stone. Usually I'll be whoever I happen to be. But if a stone woman talks to you, that's probably me!

"And I don't know who you are," she jump-turns to face Inian, gazing up at the large, muscular figure, "but it's good to meet you."

Malektas also greets anyone else at the table. When introductions have been finished, she turns back to Origenus. "May I?" The robin jump-flutters to land on the Seneschal of Destiny's hand. "You can check me out if you want." This seems to be an open invitation for the Seneschal to indulge in whatever resonance or attunements he might wish.

"Oh, and I have some questions that I think have to do Destiny, when you have a minute."

4. - Top - End - #34
    Pixie in the Playground

Jerechial pulls down a piece of paper that was rolled up on one of the walls. One of those things you might see in a meeting room or school room, to let people write things large. On it is written a curious script.
    By the bar, Melektas in human(ish) form reaches into her cloak to withdraw a pen and a pad of paper from an interior pocket. She records the prophecy, taking extra care with her writing after accidentally tearing the paper by pressing too hard.

"As for the rest, I don't know. Five somethings, Destiny, Fate. Obviously Fire is trouble. Lawrence and Michael are pushing to escalate the War in this city. So far the Seraphim Council wants to keep things quiet. I'm still coordinating the War efforts here, so I'm telling you to keep things quiet. Not saying you can't kill a demon or Soldier if you run into them, but we're not to escalate the War without permission, I'm sad to say.

"That last part Gabriel said, about Fire, makes me nervous. But it doesn't explicitly say we can't extinguish it by fighting it."
    The stone woman considers the lines of the Prophecy, adding a few notes to her notepad.
    Spoiler: Prophecy & Notes
    Show
    A great change shall come when all the points of power manifest. -- Tethers / ley lines / summoning circle? binding circle? / Sorcerers? Fate.
    Five new hopes or five new despairs.
    If Heaven triumphs, a healing unlike any ever known; -- YAY!
    if Hell, a fate unknown: a dark rebirth, a new Prince, or the fall of those who loved love.
    -- Servitors of Creation? Flowers? Protection? Redemption? Or specific Andre-son?
    -- How old is Daisy? Others? Seneschal => powerful => old? Maybe Love pre-Flowers? pre-Sword? pre-Destiny? pre-Fate?

The humans will give clues to the ebb and flow.
    On the day of rest, seek what they report of import.
    Within those lines will lay the clues to the future. -- Destiny says newspaper headlines. / But maybe also ley lines different on Sabbath?? Ask G. after flying.

And, lo, dark Fire burns and strengthens the falling. -- Fire Tether @ CENTER. Gang. BAD. Center pentagram / Summon Prince H. Fire?
    It can be extinguished, or stolen, but I cannot see if Heaven has the might.
    Is there more to do with Fire than simply fight? -- Oppose other ways. Help people. Weaken gang. Redemption? Several Fire demons; maybe one rise?

Meanwhile, the robin keeping company with Medim and Valufiel excuses herself to skim through the newspapers headlines. The stone woman adds further notes about the more prominent stories.
    Spoiler: Newspaper Headlines & Notes
    Show

"Socialite and club-owner Madison Rourke has announced her annual charity dinner, planned for one month from today. Prices start at $1000 a plate.In related news, she has filed a libel case against a local news agency that did an expose on underage drinking, drug use, and mafia ties. From initial investigations, it appears most if not all the accusations were unfounded, by a jilted ex-boyfriend."
    -- Rourke = Seneschal Tether to Lust. Reporter doing good work exposed crimes at the Tether.
    -- Media cover-up / fake "ex-boyfriend" claims. Possibly Media demon(s) in town. ALTHOUGH: Seneschal = Balseraph. Could've forced retraction.
    -- Identify the original expose reporter? Find & help.

"Local high school student Jason Mathers (age 17) gained national recognition as his painting “Dark Sunrise” was placed in a New York gallery. Jason has recently won many local art competitions and been placed in local galleries, but this is his first profound placement."
    -- Inspired? Creation? Dreams? Fire? Destiny? OR Dark- Nightmares? Fate?
    -- If ~prophetic, title sounds ominous
    -- HS student => does Ramiel knows something about Jason?

"Reports of illegal gambling and street fighting have been reported in the old gravel pits and mines. The chief of police has stated that the illegal activity is a concern, but his forces are hard-pressed handling the gang violence in the downtown district. They don’t have time to squash illegal gambling and fighting, especially as there is little evidence for convictions. Any evidence can be submitted to the police department.)"
    -- Fighting at mines => Check with Stone? (earth) (phys contests / testing)
    -- Maybe ties to Lust? -- rich / decadent people betting
    -- Go & see

"With relation to the gang violence: residents near downtown are advised to stay indoors at night and be certain to look doors and windows."
    -- Burnt/gang is growing! Major challenge. Hell's Fire.
    -- $$/programs to help people. Standing together / alternative to gang. Help = Destiny/Stone?/Flowers?/others

"Due to an unexpected cancellation, the traveling foodie show Man vs. Food aired an episode at one of our own local restaurants Saturday, January 31st. It had been booked for Los Angeles, but that location cancelled and our own site managed to get the airtime. Poppy’s Diner, a newly-started “upscale fast food chain with memories of the 50s and 60s”, tested its 5-pound Big Burger (“if you can finish it all, the meal’s on us”) against the show’s host. He managed to eat it all."
    -- Gluttony? Show's host (ate a 5-pound burger!), or Poppy's Diner?
    -- Spy/recon?

"A sad day for the children at the local hospital. A bakery had donated a hundred cupcakes and other treats to make a cheerful day for hospitalized children in our area. The engine of the delivery truck caught fire. Nobody was injured, but the food was ruined. Although plans were made to send follow-up treats, it was definitely a let-down for many who were looking forward to this day."
    -- Fire => Fire. Maybe Fate. Hell increasing sadness / disappointment / negativity.
    -- OR gang pressure on Bakery? "Accidents happen". Fire. Check with bakery
    -- Opportunity to help children. Provide more treats. (Who bakes well good well? Creation? Flowers? Redemption? M. maybe? (merc))
    Last edited by ScottL; 2020-01-16 at 11:01 PM.

5. - Top - End - #35

RedKnightGirl

Lightbulb Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

At the Bar, prophecy

Show
    Ever so slightly happy with the answer.

A big mouth, two hugs, and some riffling through the newspaper later, we hopefully can come up with a code word to use if Mary & I are in the fire tether and she feels so uncomfortably that she wants ASAP. I suggested 'strawberries'. But she gets to decide really.

Newspaper wise, complain a little how Madison needed to be dealt with, but paying for her $1000 dinner would probably only fund the wrong things in the city. Stayed quiet about wanting to see the art with her....instead talked about the cupcake catastrophe at the end of the post. Guessed we could maybe use it to lure out Ikorial, if we're lucky. Or just do a good dead, if not.

Carol glanced disappointedly over at the potted plant, the sea of heads searched for the Seraph of Revelations – as he stared aimlessly at some picture on the wall. She arched a brow. Star Valley is incredibly lucky to have Destiny, she truly saw then. Her eyes returned to Mary. Camael nodded emphatically at Yugoria's fears, of possibly having to abandon the earth, of even being harassed across the heavens. The redhead's eyes widened with wonder when she still agreed to help redeem the Fire Tether.

“YES!” Carol shouted to the heavens, joyfully. She immediately wrapped Mary in a hug before pulling back, clutching both of Mary's hands, near bouncing on the spot. “Amazing!”

Remembering what Jerechial and her had discussed not five minutes before, Carol glanced apologetically in his direction, fighting a goofy smile as she did. Her outburst was certainly more than a peep. But the concern burned away from her thoughts like the exposed negatives of old cameras. She hugged Mary again, this time for even longer, before letting go entirely. Undisguised respect and joy painted Camael's view as she spoke in more quiet if excited tones.

“Mary, you rock! I promise, we'll make this as safe for you as possible. You're the one putting yourself the most at risk, for the most people, so you decide when we call it quits at the Tether, okay? Any time your intuition tells you they're getting too close, or we're too far off track, or anything else, just slip in a code word and we'll make our exit.” She paused. “How do you feel about strawberries?”

Carol glanced over curiously at the stoic soul that had upset Malcom. The newspaper in front of him was marked feverishly as an undergrad's annotations and studied closely. She wasn't convinced he had even noticed the disappearance of the blonde teen, let alone how he had made Ramiel feel. Not that half the room wouldn't have heard her outburst. One of Yves? she wondered. Others around the room had taken to the printed word themselves.

“Bet there's something big in there we can use against Belial. One sec.”

Jogging over to the newspaper pile, Carol darted back to share one on the hard wood bar top between herself and Mary. A few pages were flipped back and forth. She flicked disinterestedly past the stories about illegal gambling fight clubs and some cooking show featuring a diner, but looked with furtive longing between the article about artwork and the premier angel beside her. The page was reluctantly turned wordlessly, only a sigh slipping out.

“Okay. So, unless Fire fears well-done burgers and fine art, maybe not. I'm going to that dinner, though. Or – something. No way is she kicking around the free press. We let her force the story's retraction, it only allows her to further infect the city. Without scrutiny, stopping or slowing Lust is harder. But if I – do – get the money together, it's just more funds to attack the journalists not in her pocket. Or worse”

Puffing out her cheeks in annoyance at the page featuring the socialite that was secretly the Seneschal of Lust herself, Carol saw no clear cut route. Her student-intern budget couldn't stop her. Origenus or Marc might advance a loan. But it's a total gamble if anything I'll learn is worth it, and a guarantee Rourke won't spend the proceedings kindly. Creasing the top part of the page as a makeshift bookmark, her irritation didn't outlast her sadness at reading the next page's headline.

“Aw. Look. No cupcakes.”

The page Carol revealed pictured a boy in a hospital gown that was strapped to an IV stand; crying at an outstretched hand offering him an apple instead. “All little Joseph tasted today were the bitter tears of disappointment. The delivery truck sent to Star Valley Hospital suffered an engine fault,” She trailed off, reading a small extract from the article every few lines to paint the picture at large. “Tiny fires definitely aren't Belial's style. But your medical friend from way back is probably upset on behalf of all the kids. If we helped reorganise it to go off smoothly, we might bring him out of hiding? Or at least do a good deed. You know him better than I ever will. Worth it?”
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-01-17 at 03:18 PM.

6. - Top - End - #36
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inian, War

Ramiel nods. "Hi, Adrian. Yeah, I'm Ramiel, or Malcolm. Been here 14 years, but my vessel was a two-year-old when I first got it, so... not much eventful stuff early on. I was a reliever until about three years ago; found and killed a lilim, impressed Michael." Pride shows in the young man's face.

"My job's basically raising his vessel, same as before, but I've got a bit more freedom now. I admit, though, puberty is awful. But I've got a good life, and even if I don't keep this vessel once it's ready for whatever job Michael has in mind, I know I've done well forming a strong Role for His service."

"Um, that said, I am allowed to fight some if it's really needed. And I can keep my Role compromised. So, um, you had the chance to kill a number of demons?" There's an eagerness for stories of glory in the young angel's voice.
    "I don't know if I'd say I've killed a lot of them, but definitely a fair few," Inian replies. "I had the somewhat odd assignment of fighting Soldiers and Demons that are involved in things like sideshow entertainment and combat sports, and I've only been active in modern times for the last seven or eight years."

"Like Camael said, I work mostly as a pro wrestler. So in large part the people I've killed have all died because I dropped them really hard on their heads. You know what happened to Stone Cold Steve Austin when he got his neck broken?" Inian asks. "I'm basically doing that on purpose. And since I usually have people like Camael in local media or the wrestling companies helping me I've managed to get away with it a good number of times."

"If you want stories of actual fight fights, I guess the biggest one I took part in was when I had to brawl my way through a bar full of Satanists to get to the Calabite leading their cult."

Quote Originally Posted by ScottL View Post
    "Which means I should meet everyone! Ramiel, right?" The bird bobbles to the younger celestial. "Of War. Good to meet you. I'm Melektas, Kyriotate of Stone. Usually I'll be whoever I happen to be. But if a stone woman talks to you, that's probably me!

"And I don't know who you are," she jump-turns to face Inian, gazing up at the large, muscular figure, "but it's good to meet you."
    "And good to meet you too, Melektas," Inian says, turning to look down at the bird. "I'm Inian, Ofanim of War."

Inian paws his way through the Sunday newspaper once a copy circulates around to him and bites down on his lip in thought. "Ramiel, do you know this Jason Mathers?"
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

7. - Top - End - #37
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    "And good to meet you too, Melektas," Inian says, turning to look down at the bird. "I'm Inian, Ofanim of War."
    "Oh, good! We should talk. I'm a fighter, too, sometimes. Within the Archangel's mandates."

During Inian's search through the newspapers, the robin manages to locate a copy of the story on fighting at the gravel pits and mines. She pulls it over to bring to his attention. "This might be something to look into. Depending on your vessel's reputation. If you're known really well for being a good guy, then maybe not so much."

8. - Top - End - #38
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Manakel, Stone

Origenius give a chuckle at the robin atop his hand.
    "Thank you, Servitor of Stone. I believe it would be my duty to make time for your questions. As Yves notes, he considers you and the others of import to achieving this city's destiny. Please ask."

---

At the table with Valufiel and Daisy, the Malakite scowls as he reads some of the headlines, his mouth reminiscent of a dog or wolf snarling. Mostly talking to himself, he mutters, "It would do well for us to end Rourke and those she corrupts."

Camael, Redemption

Mary gives a nod and looks somewhat relieved after Carol's kind words. "I guess 'strawberries' is fine," she says, now back to smiling.

Looking at the newspaper with Carol, she shrugs, uncertain, and says, "We could probably get the funds somehow to get to Rourke's diner. Though I don't like the idea of having her eyes or words on me for an extended amount of time. Balseraphs are risky. As for that delivery truck... yeah, something like that'd get Ikorial mad. It sounds like they're planning to start it again. We could look into the bakery or the hospital staff who helped coordinate it."

She flips through the paper a bit and finds the full article, including the address of the bakery. A street on the good side of town, close to but not in the ritzy tourist area.

Inian, War

Ramiel looks wide-eyed and eager hearing the stories. "Yeah, that'd be awesome to hear. Oh... but I should probably be getting home. My folks think I'm out with a buddy, and it's a bit of walk, especially if I dodge the Burnt's territory. Not that I want to dodge it, but gotta keep my Role. Later, though, okay?"

"Oh, but Jason? I don't know him, but I've heard of him and seen him. He's a senior at my school, kinda popular, and I'm just a freshman. To be honest, the first few things I saw him do were... well, really skilled, but kinda cheesey. His newer stuff, though, is sorta depressing and dark."

With a touch of mocking, he continues, "I hear the teachers and critics talk of 'evoking the sadness and depression of the modern age'." But hen his tone grows concerned. "I just dismissed him as another kid going through a goth phase, but... well, with what the Lady of Fire said, maybe I should try to talk to him."

Spoiler: on pit fights
    Show

I leave it to Inian to decide what he wants to participate in, but I'm sure his reputation could get him into the pit fights if he wants to. It's reasonable he'd know some stuff about underground fighting rings, between his role and just being a Michaelite.

Manakel, Judgement

Jerechial looks at the Elohite making notes upon the paper.

Leaning towards him, not whispering but not speaking loudly, he says, "I know I gave you a hard time about Ramiel. And I realize you probably don't care, given your Choir. I don't always get along with individual Servitors of Judgement, but I respect what you do as a whole. It's important work; Lawrence recognizes that.

Anything in that paper strike you as particularly important? I've know you've got your connections on the police, but I could have my boys look into something. And Adewale might be willing to look into something through the DA's office, given you both serve your Lord."

9. - Top - End - #39
    Orc in the Playground

Manakel grunts at the Seneschal's almost-apology. He does indeed not care. After a couple more seconds of staring at the headlines as if daring them to start making more sense, he looks up and cuts straight to the chase.

"You can have your men scout out the pit fighting ring at the old mine. There's a possibility that the new Angel of War might be able to get in, but if the situation goes south, I would prefer to have an exit strategy already in place. Alternatively, you can look into the diner. There's no indication of its significance from the headline, but if the prophecy has been interpreted correctly, then there is some meaning to it being mentioned in today's news. I do not know how you would go about investigating it, so you may ignore it if you wish. I must find Adewale now."

Thus, with his characteristic nonobservance of social niceties like farewells, Manakel leaves his stool to do just that (not before neatly folding the newspaper back up, of course.)
    Last edited by UselessBlob; 2020-01-18 at 02:26 AM.

10. - Top - End - #40
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Melekas and Manakel

To Manakel, Jerechial nods at the recommendations. "Yeah, I'll see about sending some of the Soldiers to the Gravel Pits. And I can have someone go by that diner, see if anything looks amiss."

In one of the tables at the bar, the Triad has been overlooking a set of newspapers. Some quiet discussion continues, with Adewale and Rezzial giving annoyed looks at one another during part of it. Things calm, though, and Adewale gets up and walks up to the robin talking with the Seneschal of Destiny.

With a nod towards the Seneschal, he says, "Forgive the interruption." Then he turns to the robin. "I wish to say that I appreciate your faith. Though I do not generally like someone taking affront with what I say, I think you had some merit. Your faith in God is commendable." He gives a slight nod -- barely ten degrees, almost not noticeable -- before turning to leave. But from the little you have seen of the Seraph of Judgement, it seems such acknowledgement is rare and meaningful.

He notices the officer coming towards him and pauses.
    "Thank you for your patience during the interview earlier. Did you have something further you wish to discuss?"
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-01-18 at 11:59 PM.

11. - Top - End - #41

RedKnightGirl

Show
    Carol googled the bakery and mentioned we should go there tomorrow before the Fire Tether. Cupcakes have got to be easier than gangs. Then pointed out to Mary that as much as she's more than welcome to help her tackle Lust, she's already agreed to a lot, and it's okay if she doesn't want to add 'making a Balseraph angry' to the list. Then waved to Melekast to come over, while I nudged Mary over to Medim. Asked Medim to play a mercurian game of Eye Spy With My Third Eye for a round of drinks.

Carol stared when Mary nonchalantly agreed to contend with Rourke, on top of everything else. But just as quickly the Ofanim had moved on to the subject of the bakery, finding the address easily. Fingers steadily flowed over her phone's keypad as Carol googled the address her friend had found. Clicking on the maps option, a birdseye view of the bakery's area appeared. Putting two fingers to the screen, she dragged them apart to zoom in and clicked on the business. A picture of the establishment revealed itself. She put her phone besides the address to give Mary a clear view.

“Oh, nice. Bakery it is. Want to go for that before Belial? You know, kind of a light jog before our sprint?”

Her fingers were drummed impatiently on the bar counter. “But – about the dinner. Met once said to me that angel wings and gale force winds do not a divine couple make. But, to me, you should always aim high. If you fly up Everest and crash, it won't matter, because you'll still land higher up the mountain, right? So, it's okay if you want to draw the line at Rourke. You've already agreed to a lot. I'd feel a lot better beside you. Absolutely. Just – it's fine if you'd rather not add a grand of debt to your student loans to give audience to a Balseraph on top of it, okay? I've got this no matter what.”

To ensure Mary felt no guilt at backing out if she wanted to, Carol made an effort to intertwine her fingers, palms out, and faux-stretched her arms overhead. “Besides, if I take down the entire Lust Tether solo, I'll have more distinctions than I know what to do with.” Closing her eyes for full theatrical effect of relishing her stretch, she gave a grunt of satisfaction of before reversing the movement.

“Anyway, Ofanims have to move, and Mercurians love to mingle. Let's.”

Waving to the actress dressed like a statue to approach, Carol surprised herself by taking a second look at the nature table with disinterest and a growing sense of obligation. Knowing that Dasiy didn't care for the well-being of other souls; the rumours that Valufiel was an eco-terroist in another vessel, Carol gently placed her hand on Mary's shoulder to reorientate her in the direction of the stunning woman on their left next to a stately man. The newspaper was slide alongside the counter until the two pairs were right beside one another. She looked into a pair of captivating eyes.

“You know, as I was approaching, I felt this envy, because you've got these supermodel good looks, and true love, and this reputation of redeeming an entire community together. But two drinks say I can play I Spy With My Third Eye better than you.”

A game played by younger Mercurians to develop their resonance and learn about other angels, it was a personal favourite of Camael's. Two Mercurians would attempt to discern details about the other, and depending on how trusted the company around them was, would hint at or outright discuss details they noticed in each other's lives. It was normally clear who had learned more and was the supposed winner. The real joy of the game was in building trust and understanding quickly.

“You win, I'll buy you and Gaspariel a round. We win, you buy me and Mary one. Sound good?” As so many times before, Carol offered a handshake.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show

1) Fast Talk Medim:

Target Number 18.
    TN:
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[2]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[10]

2) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on Medim.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[5]

Check Digit: (1d6+2)[6]
    If she shakes the hand.

Spoiler: reasonance on Camael
    Show

A nine years young Mercurian of Redemption, Camael's life can almost be divided roughly into quarters. The first two years she was largely babysat in Metanoia's Cathedral by relievers and grey angels, the time spent happily learning to fly, use her resonance, and practice speaking diplomatically to the broad range of souls. The next two years, she contented herself on the corporeal plane, exclusively in supporting roles. Flowers, Destiny, War – she helped other angels achieve their ends rather than being entrusted with objectives. From this came her view that quiet operations are best for success. The next three years were spent gradually granting her less guidance and more autonomy. She earned a Brand of Redemption around this point, for which she was immensely pleased. It helped her gain near full personal discretion in the last two years.

Camael has evolved a semi-unique personality remarkably quickly, considering some angels take decades to do the same. This is no doubt due to being surrounded by the many and varied views of grey angels. Her major goal of serving the well being of creation through redemptive measures is done to establish a lasting peace. She sincerely beliefs all insults can be forgiven, even if it takes time, but is overly ambitious out of knowing few and far between are the Metanonian angels.

Relationships wise, Camael is as shallow as the next Mercurian, preferring pretty people. But as an angel, she feels uncomfortable admitting not being interested exclusively in the soul's inner glow. The truth of her attraction is muddier; looks entice, personalities entertain, and souls enthral.

Inian is appreciated for his open-mindedness to aid, self-defence skills, and consistency in keeping his body in excellent shape. She feels discontent with his silence on jogging or learning the song of motion; taking it for polite disinterest. Mary's courage and willingness to put the welfare of others first is inspiring, and only adds to her allure. Daisy brings up disappointment in Camael, where beforehand Camael had nothing but the highest esteem for who she imagined the Seneschal of Flowers was. Origenus' easy-going nature and willingness to always place humanity first pleases her. Elyse, the reliever, is equal to any Mercurian, and surely a Cherub to be in her eyes. Jerechial is a pleasant blend of being an easy-going and fair-minded soul, to her mild surprise.

On a grander scale, Camael respects Metanoia above any other Archangel, especially as she granted the Song of Ecstasy at the Mercurian's birth. This to keep Outcasts from the edge. Camael also feels a natural affinity for the more peace abiding angels. Specifically Flowers and Destiny. War is granted a certain leeway in her mind, given past healthy collaboration. She is largely indifferent to other Archangels. The obvious exception is Dominic. She alternates between her training in diplomacy, a slow-going distrust, and a gentle irreverence. Otherwise, on the Demonic princes, she believes a non-violent and lasting victory can be had through her abilities. Except for Fate. Her unease, if not fear, is unquestionable. Fate strikes her as the most dangerous to Metanoians.

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-01-22 at 10:37 PM.

12. - Top - End - #42
    Pixie in the Playground

Manakel Malektas, Stone

At the table with Destiny

Ramiel looks wide-eyed and eager hearing Inian's stories. "Yeah, that'd be awesome to hear. Oh... but I should probably be getting home. My folks think I'm out with a buddy, and it's a bit of walk, especially if I dodge the Burnt's territory. Not that I want to dodge it, but gotta keep my Role. Later, though, okay?"
    "Hey, Ramiel," Melektas-robin interjects, "Before you go, can you tell us anything about the Burnt? Do they have any gang members in your school? Or can you give us an idea of the borders of their territory, as much as you know? You've been living here, so you probably know things that Inian and I don't. Or if you can't think of anything now, that's okay. We can talk later, if there's anything to say. I don't want to cause problems with your Role."

---

Origenius give a chuckle at the robin atop his hand.

"Thank you, Servitor of Stone. I believe it would be my duty to make time for your questions. As Yves notes, he considers you and the others of import to achieving this city's destiny. Please ask."
    "Great! Thank you." The bird shakes a little, settling into a more formal posture. She speaks her questions loudly enough to be heard by Inian and Ramiel, while they're at the same table, and anyone nearby who cares to listen. The words come clearly and in the listener's preferred human language; evidently, the Song of Tongues is in use.

"First, who's responsible for money around here? Is it Trade? Do we have any Servitors of Trade in town? Or is it Destiny? For humans, money's a big part of Destiny a lot of the time, so I could see that it might be Destiny. Anyway, we're going to need money to do some of the things we need to do.

"Have we been doing anything to help the people in the center of the pentagram, in the neighborhoods that burned? It seems like that gang 'the Burnt' has been getting more members since nobody's been helping people who need it. Helping them sounds like it should be a Stone kind of thing: encouraging people to work together to help each other through hard times. Destiny, too. Flowers, even. You know, caring and helping. Have any of us started anything like that yet?

"Medim says that the ley lines around here are natural, not something that someone's made happen this way. That seems really strange to me -- I mean, five points of a pentagram, just 'because'? -- but okay, strange things happen. Then again, humans are natural... Heck, the Princess of Freedom's a human! So 'natural' doesn't have to mean that 'no one made it happen'. Maybe humans helped to make bring the ley lines together like they are. Or sorcerers did. Or Freedom! Anyway, even if the Tether-pentagram is something that just happened, without anyone behind it, wouldn't you expect sorcerers to be interested in it? It's like a giant magic circle! So one question is, does Hell have sorcerers here? After all, there's a Tether to Fate right here in town! And Fate makes sorcerers, right? So it seems like they would. And if they do, what are they planning to use it for?

"I don't know much about the occult, not what really works, but I've seen some movies, and it seems like sorcerers use these things to summon or bind. Or both! With Hell's Fire in the center now, I'm kinda worried that someone could be planning to summon, you know, him. That Prince.

"Do we have any kind of recon on the Tethers to Hell? Soldiers watching them? Or, uh, mechanical devices? Cameras and listening things? Lightning's good at that, right? And you've been here in town for a while. It'd be good to know what we know about them."

---

[...] Adewale gets up and walks up to the robin talking with the Seneschal of Destiny.

With a nod towards the Seneschal, he says, "Forgive the interruption." Then he turns to the robin. "I wish to say that I appreciate your faith. Though I do not generally like someone taking affront with what I say, I think you had some merit. Your faith in God is commendable." He gives a slight nod -- barely ten degrees, almost not noticeable -- before turning to leave. But from the little you have seen of the Seraph of Judgement, it seems such acknowledgement is rare and meaningful.
    "Thank you," the robin hastens to reply. "I appreciate you sharing your truth. It's good of you to say."

Adewale notices the officer coming towards him and pauses.

"Thank you for your patience during the interview earlier. Did you have something further you wish to discuss?"
    With Manakel's approach, robin-Melektas returns her attention fully to her compatriots at the "Destiny table", in an effort to give the Judgment angels a semblance of privacy.

------

At the table with Flowers and Animals
    At the table with Valufiel and Daisy, the Malakite scowls as he reads some of the headlines, his mouth reminiscent of a dog or wolf snarling. Mostly talking to himself, he mutters, "It would do well for us to end Rourke and those she corrupts."
    Melektas chooses to respond to the Virtue's murmured thoughts. "We may have a chance to save some of them," the robin croons. "But yes, Rourke is a threat, and it would be Good to remove her. For that matter, she's the Seneschal of one of Hell's Tethers. So we may have to get rid of her, to turn the Prophecy in Heaven's favor.

"But we'll have to be careful. Fighting risks open war with Hell, and the Archangel says it's not the time for that."

------

At the bar

When Manakel excuses himself -- well, when he departs without comment -- to speak with Adewale, Melektas in her statue form takes a moment to look around the area. She nods to the Seneschal of the Sword, then takes note of the the young woman waving her over. Smiling, she rises to join her and the other young woman sharing her company.

"Hi," she introduces herself to the younger woman (Mary). "I'm Melektas, Kyriotate of Stone. I'm new in town. Say, could you tell me which of us is Andreson?"

She stands a little to one side, watching with a wry smile as the other woman of the pair -- who is obviously more outgoing -- proposes a Mercurian resonance contest with Medim. Malektas appears to be both amused by and keenly interested in the results of this contest.

13. - Top - End - #43

Inian, War

Ramiel looks wide-eyed and eager hearing the stories. "Yeah, that'd be awesome to hear. Oh... but I should probably be getting home. My folks think I'm out with a buddy, and it's a bit of walk, especially if I dodge the Burnt's territory. Not that I want to dodge it, but gotta keep my Role. Later, though, okay?"

"Oh, but Jason? I don't know him, but I've heard of him and seen him. He's a senior at my school, kinda popular, and I'm just a freshman. To be honest, the first few things I saw him do were... well, really skilled, but kinda cheesey. His newer stuff, though, is sorta depressing and dark."

With a touch of mocking, he continues, "I hear the teachers and critics talk of 'evoking the sadness and depression of the modern age'." But hen his tone grows concerned. "I just dismissed him as another kid going through a goth phase, but... well, with what the Lady of Fire said, maybe I should try to talk to him."
    Inian nods. "That would probably be a good idea. Even if it isn't totally relevant, it's always worth seeing if the people around you are in a good mental state. You're less likely to be punched that way."

"Heck, if you think it'll help him open up to you, tell him that you know a performer looking to commission someone to make a new outfit. I can give you my number to give to him if you think it's a good idea." He tears a corner off of the newspaper in front of him and scribbles ten numbers on it before passing it to Ramiel. "But if you gotta go, you gotta go."

Later, at the Bar

Inian walks up to the bar and sets down his now empty glass. "You're the Seneschal of the Sword, right?" he says, addressing the man behind the bar. "I'm Inian, Ofanim of War. A lot of people just call me Adrian though. I thought it would be a good idea to come over and pay my respects to you for helping to keep the situation in the city under control for so long. I imagine it must be difficult with so many competing powers in one place."

Also later, around

The Ofanim walks up to Adreson, sticking out a hand in greeting. "Hey, I'm Inian, though you can also call me Adrian. You were the one in service to Revelation, right? It's good to meet you."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #44
    Orc in the Playground

"I'm here to talk about Rourke. She is the Seneschal of Lust's Role, correct? One that both Heaven and the Earthly authorities want taken care of? I believe that the headlines have given us something to work with.

It appears that she has slipped up somehow, allowed information about her crimes to leak to the press. If we can find the reporter who did the expose and retrieve their evidence, or work with them to gain some more, we may be able to build a case against her. I can get the evidence, but we'll need your office's power to have a shot at indictment. Even if she wins, we will have made the Tether vulnerable."

15. - Top - End - #45
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Mary smiles and agrees to the plans for tomorrow. First, the bakery. Then, Burnt territories. And she seems quite happy to leave the Balseraph of Lust to her ally and new friend.

Medim gives a hearty laugh at the mention of Carol's "envy". "Yes, yes, I have been quite fortunate. It has been a lot of work, but I'm grateful to David for approving this project. And that game... been quite a while since I had the opportunity, but... sure."

She shakes hands, and a mischevious smile comes to her lips. No doubt she received a strong read on the Mecurian of Redemption -- or is bluffing one -- but Carol sees the Symphony reveal much about Medim as well.

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show

Medim, for all her outward pride and cheer, is... well, she is proud of herself and her accomplishments and generally cheerful, but she realizes that while David trusts her and Gaspariel on their task, part of why they were stationed here is because the leylines are interesting riddles of geography and geomancy, and the two of them had a scholarly bent but weren't particularly accomplished in actively fighting demonkind or organizing mankind. (They are both rather old, but spent a long time just observing and documenting oddities underground all over the world, before being given this task.)

While dedicated to her goal of observing the leylines, she had hoped to prove herself by fighting demons or helping man. And largely she has. Over the centuries stationed here, she and Gaspariel have successfully fought off demons, the most successful attempt being the most recent: ousting demons of Factions from the Commune and slowly saving the souls of its inhabitants by teaching them a sense of community instead of hatred. They even managed to corner the shedite such that they killed its host and left it hostless, giving it both dissonance and Trauma; she is very proud of that.

Relation-ship wise, the most defining and important ones are David, Gaspariel, and her husband Samuel Smith. She also sincerely cares about many of the Commune.
    She values Gaspariel as a long-term friend. They enjoy working together, acknowledge one another's strengths (and how they complement each others' weaknesses), and enjoy the scholarly investigation of geomancy and leylines.
    While she may not quite consider her husband, Samuel Smith, a 'true love' (as she has loved humans and angels in the past, and knows he will eventually die and move on to the Higher Heavens), she does love him sincerely and passionately. It honestly started out as a seduction on her part, to better help her manipulate the Commune for the better, but it grew into sincere love. One of her regrets is that she can't give him any children, such that she's even considered asking Eli or Novalis to sing the forbidden Celestial Song of Fruition -- but such is just a fleeting thought and, she feels confidently, a testament to her love for husband and not any questioning of celestial law.

One pain she has is that some of the commune still despise her for being Hispanic. She's trying to work to stop those flames of racial hate, but it's a long-term task of showing kindness and restraint, proving she can be a helpful member of the Commune and showing them race isn't important. But it stings nonetheless.

Of the other celestials in town, she has few real relationships. She respects Jerechial and gets along with him, but her tasks and Choir keep her from being too active under The Sword's leadership; Gaspariel, as able to hurt humans, is more the one called to help when a threat needs stomping. She thinks Ramiel shows promise. She also respects the Triad, though she thinks Adewale is a prick, but accounts it to having a thankless job. Generally, she assumes the best of her celestial brethern and gives them the benefit of the doubt, and thus she mostly gets along with everyone. Though she finds the Malakite perspective strange, and Valufiel the Malakite of Animals particularly offputting--but she figures that's just a Mecurian reacting to someone who probably has eaten human flesh before. But while she finds him offputting, she still respects him; he helped her and Gaspariel track and kill the vessel of the non-shedite demon of Factions.

Retaining the same smile, Medim says, "Elyse sounds like a good friend. And, yeah, Daisy is an odd one. If Jordi were Archangel of all of nature, I'm sure she'd've transferred to him, but she's alright." Leaning in, she says a touch more quietly, "And how you get too distracted by a pretty face... well, when you're not so young, that'll probably fade. Yeah, pretty humans are fun, but you'll learn to appreciate the inner beauty the more you see it." Back to normal volume, "But be easy on yourself. See how you feel in a few decades or a century or two."

Melekas, Stone

At the question about the Burnt, Ramiel pauses and thinks for a moment. "I don't know much more than the average person, well, 'sides they have demons. I'm sure there are gang members at the school, but like petty drug dealers or trying to recruit the more vulnerable kids to do bad stuff. I've been able to talk a few of them out of joining. But most who join drop out of school or were already dropouts. Or lost their homes in the fire then dropped out." He shakes his head, a sad expression on his face. "I'm not young, by human reckoning, but I got more smarts now than I had for decades. It's sad realizing how hurt some humans are. Uh, as for their territory, Jerechial can probably show you on maps, but the parts of downtown really ruined by the fire, they stay there. I heard they have protection rackets on a lot of the nearby businesses, too."

He glances at his phone, grimaces, and says, "But, yeah, I gotta go. Talk to me later if ya want. My address is <some street>; if a robin pecks at my window, I'll figure it's you."

---

Origenius smiles at the questions, listening intently until Melekas finishes.
    "As for money, most of us operate independently, as befits our roles and goals. There are no Servitors of Trade in the city. If you have a worthy cause, I do have some money, but it is largely used to help students avoid crushing debt or be able to maintain a healthy living quarters. I believe Jerechial's fund go to weaponry, training, and medical care for his Soldiers. I would imagine that David could be able to avail you of some gold or minerals should you need extra funds. Though I could put you in touch with one of Marc's Servitors should you wish a loan."

Spoiler: money
    Show
    Melekas is in a rough spot for funds. Generally, angels operational on earth are expected to make due with what they get via their actions or role.
    That said, if your main goal is $1000 for Rourke's dinner, that's probably doable and Marc's angel might just send it as 'petty cash' if convinced it's a good cause. Origenius likely thinks you mean more than that. Or was it $10,000? If 10k, not petty cash.

Also, it makes sense to me that David's angels would know of a place they could get gold or diamonds to pawn. You'd need to go Heaven and then to a Tether of Stone elsewhere on earth to get some, but you could get some. ...actually, as a kyriotate you don't have a vessel to carry it from one place to another, but you could ask for delivery. I think it would cost you 4 essence, as you'd need to pay the essence cost for them to assume celestial form + 1 for the gold + 1 for the favor of delivery.

"As for helping the people, I have tried to help some of the older kids become students near my Tether, but one of the sad things about being Seneschal is needing to largely be at one's Tether. Mary is helping me some in helping humans, but I am constrained in my efforts. But you are right, new angel to this city, it does sound like a good job for Stone. How fortunate a new Servitor of Stone is here, yes?

"The leylines and sorcery... Most sorcerers are made by demons of Fate, yes." His tone grows sad. "And some sorcerers can draw on the power of geomancy for their arts. I think part of the reason the Fate Tether formed here was because the pentagram lent power to sorcerers that gathered here. I am not aware of any attempt at a large summoning or binding. I would think it beyond the power of any sorcerer not millennia old, and those may no longer exist. I hope they do not. But I could be mistaken. If you could, without suffering dissonance, bring any sorcerers you find to me, I would be appreciative. Their wills are stronger than most humans, but still should be such that a Dominion could, well, dominate one's will for a time.

"But the leylines were here before David noticed them. I mean no disrespect in saying that; that is David's claim Himself. To our knowledge, they are as natural as other leylines... but I imagine our knowledge is limited. But if Stone does not know, then I doubt any of us do.

"As for recon on the enemy Tethers, Jerechial largely handles that, but I believe all the Tethers are watched by Soldiers occassionally, save perhaps Fire due to its newness and the potential for the gangsters to shoot our men. The Tether to Lust is a self-proclaimed safe zone, but no doubt that is a lie of Madrizel's for the corruption of angels and Soldiers; I do not recommend letting her speak to you long, especially if you wear an attractive host. Galafarsel and I spar with words from time to time, and I try to keep tabs on him via some of my servants."

Now he looks slight troubled. "'That Prince', you say. I'm afraid I don't follow. Any of the Princes could easily show up if they wished. Whom do you fear will be summoned?"

---

Valufiel expression shows a desire for violence, but he gives a nod, acknowledging the truth of what Melekas says. Daisy whispers a, "Wise words, Servitor of Stone."

---

Mary, distracted out of her current planning and antics with Carol, startles a touch but recollects herself. "Oh, hi. Wow; never seen a statue-vessel before. Cool. I'm Mary Sherlock, Ofanite of Redemption. As for Andreson, he's..." She looks over the room and sees him inspecting the jukebox, a newspaper in hand but unopened. "That odd one over there. Good guy, but, well, if he were human, I'd say he took a few too many blows to the head, if ya catch my drift."

Inian, War

Ramiel smiles and takes the number. There is eagerness evident in the young cherub's tone; he wants to help serve War, even in a cursory way like this. "Yeah, I'll pass that on to him. No promises he won't just toss it in the trash, but I'll try."

Ramiel also gives Inian his phone number.

---

Jerechial gives a hearty smile to the Servitor of War. "Thank you, Adrian. You can call me Jerechial or Jeremiah. And I admit seeing another Servitor of War here is very welcome." Noticing that Ramiel has left, he adds, "Ramiel's a good kid, but he's just a kid in a lot of ways, and not really supposed to be fighting. Glad to have a real warrior in the city. I hope we'll get permission to really deploy soon. You got anything of particular interest? I got a summary of your role. The Gravel Pits might be a good place for you, if that wouldn't tarnish your role."

---

Andreson looks at Adrian for a few seconds, definitely an awkward pause. His eyes are a clear blue -- much contrast to the rest of his appearance. Then he smiles and says, "I am, yes! I am called Andreson, Seraph of Revelation. Um... are you one of the new angels in town?"

Manakel, Judgement

Adewale's usual condescending tone and mannerism lessens while talking to a fellow Servitor of Judgement, but is still somewhat present.

"Madison Rourke. Madrizel. Balseraph and Seneschal of Lust. Heaven would greatly benefit by taking her down, but her role's wealth and social connections, in combination with her powers as a balseraph, make it so that most of the earthly authorities of this city are on her side. Her philanthropy includes funding wounded police officers and the campaigns of most of the local elected officials. The few times we've been able to link a crime to her, she has come off innocent, largely due to her power to convince anyone of anything--at least when witnesses don't simply disappear, are blackmailed into silence, or discredited by illegal sexual deviance."

He stares at Manakel for two seconds, letting the weight of the issue sink in. It is evident he does not think this task will be successful.

"But I can look into the details of her libel suit and see who she is litigating against and pass that information on to you. It should include the reporter's name and information. He may benefit from angelic protection, and I imagine he would be willing to help against Rourke and clear his name of whatever lies she spread.

Hmm... if you are able to gather evidence, I can get the district attorney to press the case. There will be political pushback, but I should be able to handle that enough to get her to trial. Should you get the reporter to be cooperative, we of the Triad will assist. I agree that negative publicity would hurt her, her Tether, and her Word.

And use caution. She likely has spies among the police, whether they are knowingly spies or not, and she is probably friendly with the chief of police."

If you agree, he asks for your e-mail so he can send the information once he has it. Likely tonight.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-01-22 at 12:33 PM. Reason: fix typo (Adewale is not a Servitor of War)

16. - Top - End - #46

RedKnightGirl

Show
    The comment on looks landed as clearly not bluffing.

Little bit of griping that other choirs don't really get why looks would be a thing. Not really. Then innocently, very very very innocently, asking about Sam. If maybe there are any tips to that approach. Wonder why all the above is basically in whisper?

More loudly, mention I don't mind looking for music she might like.

And recommend to check out Inian. He'd make an amazing role model as a good Hispanic influence. So, bring up the resonance commune-hispanic thing and bring in a friend.

Spoiler: Camael resonance minor addition
    Show
    Added a single line to the last paragraph of the Camael resonance above. It seemed unfair to know about the Song of Fruition, when I didn't mention before the Song of Ecstasy. So added in at least a mention of that.

Carol nodded innocuously until the matter of looks cropped up. Her cheeks burned poppy bright, a giggle all nerves escaping. “I – really wish I had that drink now.” Cupping hands to face self-consciously did nothing to stop the embarrassment that bloomed up her chest. Self-consciously she glanced at Mary, and was relieved at her distraction by a living work of sculpted art, not an actress in excessive costume. It explained the plodding footfalls heard seconds ago. Internally, the unexpected stone woman was thanked for the sudden bout of privacy.

“What if it's not just humans? Attraction, I mean.” Camael confided to Medim. She waved a hand at the room tersely. “It's different, for them. Of course they don't care about looks. Their whole form changes. We're the ones with the same vessel. Just add wings and a halo: bam, instant Mercurian.” She shook her head. “I don't know if I can wait a whole century. Still – thank you.”

The moment of peace was just that. Sneaking another glance at a hair full of ringlets, her guilt redoubled.

“But, does – does what you did work? Like, with Sam. You hit on them, and keep going, and it just becomes love?” Scratching her head, Carol struggled to imagine anything but the opposite. Rourke's Tether nearly sounded innocent. And the Prince of Lust would have it no other way. Do I really need to be an angel of Revelations to unravel all this? She cleared her throat, and the nonchalance attempted sounded hollow even to her own ears before she finished asking. “Any tips? Just while we're mentioning it, you know?”

This had all been expected as a breezy, open chat between all five of them, with mild titbits traded, and free drinks close to certain. Instead, Medim was sensitive to the truth, accepting of faults, and delicate with the details. It was no surprise she studied the leylines and helped lead the Commune. Aware about the Triad in the room, Camael guessed all the whispering didn't help angels like her appear less suspect to Dominic's forces at a glance. She straightened after hearing the response to her last question, and spoke louder.

“Anyway, Metanoia and Novalis are practically two saints of the same faith. Want me to ask around if Flowers has the type of music you'd like? Oh! Actually, have you guys met Inian yet? He would be amazing for your Commune. He's with War, so tenacious and rock solid. Has the vessel of a famous wrestler, too. Angel Guerra. Hispanic, I think? Could really change minds. Might be incredibly busy, but his heart is always where it should be. Ask and he might help out?”
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-01-22 at 10:38 PM.

17. - Top - End - #47
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Medim smiles at Carol's mild ruminations on the nature of Mecurians and attraction. "Yes, well, I admit that is a difficulty." Whispering due to the stone-one nearby, she says, "I can't really imagine a mass of organs and forms being attractive, but some of the other choirs certainly have something to offer."

She smiles at the questions of love and attraction, a bit surprised at all the young Mecurian saw but accepting that it isn't really private. However, at the mention of "music" from Novalis, she first gets a puzzled look then a panicked one. Her tone turning more serious than it has been the entire night, she says, "That is just a fleeting thought. Please do not ask about it or mention it to anyone." Gaspariel looks at her with quirked eyebrow. Her tone returns to normal, but her face remains a touch flustered.

"But I realize you mean no harm in asking. But most Archangels are not as lenient as Novalis or Metanoia, my stoic Superior included." Perhaps over-eager to change the subject, she continues, "As to love... Love is a strange thing. I can't really explain how or why it happened. When I first met Sam... well, he was attractive. Good leader, strong, and handsome. Admirable traits, good seeds for love. But I got with him because he was more open-minded than most and a good in for me to help the Commune. I attribute his falling for me to my, well, skill... but his infatuation turned to love. And, after a year or two, I realized I really loved him, too. But I've been with others who it was just a job. I mean, I enjoyed it and liked them, but it wasn't love, at least on my part. I can't really help you there."

A bit more light-hearted, she says, "It does hurt to let your vessel age, though. I was a bit prettier a few years ago, believe it or not. Even got a wisp of gray in my hair, but at least Sam says it looks good on me."

At the mention of Inian, she looks over to him and gives a pondering hum. "Maybe so." She points out Inian to Gaspariel, who gives a nod and grunt but little else vocally. Medim shrugs and says, "Well, we'll see. I'll have to weigh whether it's help or hinder some of the social workings we've got going on. Y'know, most folk think Stone is all being hard and slow and killing things, but we do a lot of social manipulation to help mankind, too. I reckon you saw that with your third eye. It's a tricky science, and some of the men might be put-off by a strong and well-known fighter like him... but maybe they'd respect him instead. Maybe I'll have some of the boys come to a fight he's in, see him in action."

18. - Top - End - #48
    Pixie in the Playground

Melektas, Stone
    Ramiel glances at his phone, grimaces, and says, "But, yeah, I gotta go. Talk to me later if ya want. My address is <some street>; if a robin pecks at my window, I'll figure it's you."
    Melek-robin thanks Ramiel for the information he was able to provide regarding the Burnt. Before he leaves, she gives him a phone number where he can reach her if he has need. "Most of me doesn't have a phone most of the time, but I do have a burner phone. Some of me keeps it handy." The bird giggles a little at that, apparently finding humor in there somewhere.

---

Origenius smiles at the questions, listening intently until Melektas finishes.

"As for money, most of us operate independently, as befits our roles and goals. There are no Servitors of Trade in the city. If you have a worthy cause, I do have some money, but it is largely used to help students avoid crushing debt or be able to maintain a healthy living quarters. I believe Jerechial's fund go to weaponry, training, and medical care for his Soldiers. I would imagine that David could be able to avail you of some gold or minerals should you need extra funds. Though I could put you in touch with one of Marc's Servitors should you wish a loan."
    "Thank you. Trade's Servitors might be the way to go. It's more that I feel like we should do things to help the people in the burned neighborhoods, and it seems like getting that kind of thing going always takes money."

Show
    Melektas is in a rough spot for funds. Generally, angels operational on earth are expected to make due with what they get via their actions or role. That said, if your main goal is $1000 for Rourke's dinner, that's probably doable and Marc's angel might just send it as 'petty cash' if convinced it's a good cause. Origenius likely thinks you mean more than that. Or was it $10,000? If 10k, not petty cash.

Also, it makes sense to me that David's angels would know of a place they could get gold or diamonds to pawn. You'd need to go Heaven and then to a Tether of Stone elsewhere on earth to get some, but you could get some. ...actually, as a Kyriotate you don't have a vessel to carry it from one place to another, but you could ask for delivery. I think it would cost you 4 essence, as you'd need to pay the essence cost for them to assume celestial form + 1 for the gold + 1 for the favor of delivery.
    Actually, Malektas does have a vessel to carry gold or diamonds from one place to another. It's this lovely stone statue that happens to be currently conversing with Mary. So would that reduce the essence cost to 3 total?

As for the purpose of the money, it's not $1000 for Rourke's dinner. If Melektas wishes to attend, she can probably sneak in by possessing a human. (Or so she'd think, anyway.) She's looking for more substantial funds, something to help to kick off efforts to help people in the "Burnt" sections of the city. Ultimately, that will probably best involve human investors, but some seed capital may be necessary. Also, when she possesses humans for recon or other purposes, it'd be polite not to spend their money.

"As for helping the people, I have tried to help some of the older kids become students near my Tether, but one of the sad things about being Seneschal is needing to largely be at one's Tether. Mary is helping me some in helping humans, but I am constrained in my efforts. But you are right, new angel to this city, it does sound like a good job for Stone. How fortunate a new Servitor of Stone is here, yes?"
    "Yes." In spite of having a bird beak, she somehow meets his smile with one of her own. (It must be something in her voice.) "That's why I'm asking."

"The leylines and sorcery... Most sorcerers are made by demons of Fate, yes." His tone grows sad. "And some sorcerers can draw on the power of geomancy for their arts. I think part of the reason the Fate Tether formed here was because the pentagram lent power to sorcerers that gathered here. I am not aware of any attempt at a large summoning or binding. I would think it beyond the power of any sorcerer not millennia old, and those may no longer exist. I hope they do not. But I could be mistaken. If you could, without suffering dissonance, bring any sorcerers you find to me, I would be appreciative. Their wills are stronger than most humans, but still should be such that a Domination could, well, dominate one's will for a time.
    "I'll do what I can." Malektas seems a little dubious of the prospect of a battle of wills with a millenia-old sorcerer. A touch of whimsy sparkles in the robin's eyes, though, and she adds, "But you have to promise to leave them better off than they would be otherwise." As if Destiny could do otherwise!

"As for recon on the enemy Tethers, Jerechial largely handles that, but I believe all the Tethers are watched by Soldiers occasionally, save perhaps Fire due to its newness and the potential for the gangsters to shoot our men. The Tether to Lust is a self-proclaimed safe zone, but no doubt that is a lie of Madrizel's for the corruption of angels and Soldiers; I do not recommend letting her speak to you long, especially if you wear an attractive host. Galafarsel and I spar with words from time to time, and I try to keep tabs on him via some of my servants."
    "Thank you. Believe me, I'd never want to risk a host by exposing them to Madrizel. Besides," she coos with utter sincerity, "I'm most attractive in my celestial form."

Now he looks slightly troubled. "'That Prince', you say. I'm afraid I don't follow. Any of the Princes could easily show up if they wished. Whom do you fear will be summoned?"
    "I meant Hell's Fire. (Sorry; I don't like to call Superiors by name.) It's in the center of the pentagram, where you'd expect something to be summoned. I don't know how it'd be different from when a Prince usually shows up. That's something that the sorcerer (if one even exists) would know about.

"Anyway, I might be making a mountain out of a molehill. (Good figure of speech!) I'll keep a few eyes out, and I'll let you know if I learn anything."

---

Mary, distracted out of her current planning and antics with Carol, startles a touch but recollects herself. "Oh, hi. Wow; never seen a statue-vessel before. Cool."
    Statue-Melektas straightens and preens a little. She sweeps the hood off her head, to better display her vessel's beauty.

"I'm Mary Sherlock, Ofanite of Redemption."
    "Oh! That's great! Redemption!" The statue's eyes brighten and she smiles exuberantly. The Ofanite finds her hand being pumped up and down in a handshake that might seem more appropriate from one of her own choir. "We're going to need you.

"First, did that prophecy sound redemptiony to you? It did to me. Especially the part about whether there's more to do with Fire than just fight them. Hell's Fire's destructive, so I suppose it could mean that they'll destroy themselves, but wouldn't it be better for everyone if they could be saved? Some of them, anyway. So we should look into that. I'm going to try to do some recon around there. I'll let you know what I find.

"Second, I think we need to do something to help the people in the Burnt neighborhoods. They've been hurt by Hell. That's infernal, so we owe it to them to make things better. (If it weren't for the War, they wouldn't've been hurt.) And if we help them, that'll probably weaken Hell's Fire Tether, too. More hope, less despair; everyone wins!

"Third- and I'm talking with Origenius about this right now- this whole city's laid out like a big pentagram of ley lines. Everyone tells me it's natural- that's what the Archangel says, too- but even then, it's still a big pentagram. And Origenius confirmed that some sorcerers use geomancy, and there's a Tether to Fate here in town, and all of that makes me think that if I were a Servitor of Fate, I'd be sure to have some sorcerers here doing Something Big. I don't know what, but I'm sure we wouldn't like it. So. Does Redemption work with sorcerers, too? Just in case.

"Oh, and finally, could you tell me which of us is Andreson?"
    "As for Andreson, he's..." Mary looks over the room and sees him inspecting the jukebox, a newspaper in hand but unopened. "That odd one over there. Good guy, but, well, if he were human, I'd say he took a few too many blows to the head, if ya catch my drift."
    "I think I do? Do you mean he's lost forces? Or spent a long time in Limbo? That's a shame. Either one can do bad things to you.

"Well, there's that line in the prophecy about the 'fall of those who love Love'. Andreson used to be one of his, right? Back when there was an Archangel of Love. So he's probably someone who loves Love. Could you keep an eye on him? Kind of..." she searches for the right words, "... 'preventative redemption'?"
    Last edited by ScottL; 2020-01-23 at 11:54 PM. Reason: f-ing asterisks

19. - Top - End - #49

Inian, War

Ramiel smiles and takes the number. There is eagerness evident in the young cherub's tone; he wants to help serve War, even in a cursory way like this. "Yeah, I'll pass that on to him. No promises he won't just toss it in the trash, but I'll try."

Ramiel also gives Inian his phone number.
    "Well, trying is the best we can do sometimes. I'm sure you'll rise to the occasion."

Jerechial gives a hearty smile to the Servitor of War. "Thank you, Adrian. You can call me Jerechial or Jeremiah. And I admit seeing another Servitor of War here is very welcome." Noticing that Ramiel has left, he adds, "Ramiel's a good kid, but he's just a kid in a lot of ways, and not really supposed to be fighting. Glad to have a real warrior in the city. I hope we'll get permission to really deploy soon. You got anything of particular interest? I got a summary of your role. The Gravel Pits might be a good place for you, if that wouldn't tarnish your role."
    "Believe me, I do as well," Inian says, leaning against the bar. "I almost hesitate to say this for fear of putting words in an Archangel's mouth, but I think Michael is eager for the situation to progress too. Guessing that Vessels like the one Ramiel is raising are going to part of his plans in the future, so it's good to hear other Angels vouch for the people inhabiting them"

"And about the Gravel Pits, I don't know for sure. I have some training in real wrestling, so I'm not too worried about causing noise, and I mostly work in a mask. Think that's enough precautions to stop me from getting sniffed out too easily?"

"Oh, and actually..." Inian grabs a napkin and hurriedly scribbles a note on it. "Would you mind giving this to Camael and Mary over there if I don't get a chance to talk to them again?"

Spoiler
    Show
    *Insert phone number*

Like to catch up more sometimes. Give me a call if you do and maybe we can set up a time for running too.

Andreson looks at Adrian for a few seconds, definitely an awkward pause. His eyes are a clear blue -- much contrast to the rest of his appearance. Then he smiles and says, "I am, yes! I am called Andreson, Seraph of Revelation. Um... are you one of the new angels in town?"
    Inian lets his hand fall back to his side with an awkward chuckle and replies, "Yeah, I am. I haven't met many Angels of Revelation before, so I wanted to introduce myself and ask a few questions. Though if you're busy I can certainly wait 'till a later time. I was mostly hoping to know what you thought the biggest issue around here is."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

20. - Top - End - #50
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: Camael and Manakel
    Show
    I put an update for Camael on Thursday. For Manakel, no new post since my last update, so Adewale's pomposity is there for you to respond to.

Melektas, Stone

Show
    I forgot about that handy vessel. Depending on the amount, you should be able to get a good number of precious stones/metals.
    I'll need to think on the cost based on amoun

There's also a practical limit in how much you can safely pawn without drawing legal or criminal attention. The likelihood of legal attention is low, since the cops are busy handling more violent crime. But the gangs (who probably have ties with the type of pawn shops that don't ask quesitons about a lot of diamonds) might notice a trend.
    You're lucky in that you can rather easily spread out the pawning across multiple hosts, so it's not like one person trying to pawn an armload of diamonds.
    (This issue came up a lot in a Mage: The Ascension game I was in, where our main source of funds were creating and pawning diamonds. The DM said that, besides pawn shop owners getting suspicious or worried about too much, the Technocracy had a chance of noticing if we pawned thousands of dollars of diamonds in the same area.)

But essentially it'll cost you just 1 essence for a good sum of sellable objects. You'd need to spend 2 essence to shed your statue vessel (just like anyone shedding a vessel to assume celestial form) to go to Heaven then to that Tether. After you get the goods, you'd need to spend another 2 essence to shed your vessel again so you can return to Heaven and thus to Star Valley. So 5 essence total.
    It doesn't cost essence to assume a vessel or ascend/descend to/from Heaven, so that part is free.

I now realize the cost of a delivery would be 6 essence: 1 for goods, 1 for delivery, and 4 for two sheddings of corporeal form that the deliverer would have to do.

Origenius smiles in turn to the bird's responses.

"I'll call one of my contacts in Trade and make sure they are okay with the exchange of contact information. They should be, but it's polite to ask. I know Celestial Tongues, so I'll send you word tomorrow; consider the essence the song carries to you my way of helping you pay any fees.

"I give my word that any sorcerer you bring to me will be better off, or on equal footing, as they were before. You may hear from others that I have slain sorcerers, knowing they will descend to Hell. This is true. Sad, but true. But I will not do so with any when you bring them to me.

"I hope you do well in service to the community, Servitor of Stone. Our attunements only let us see the Destiny of men, but my hope is you have a Destiny to fulfill or help be fulfilled here. I do not see how the Prince of Fire would benefit from the pentagram, but if such is found and can be prevented... that would be a great good."

---

As Mary's hand is shook enthuasiatically, she looks more startled than before, but smiles nonetheless at the energy. Perhaps something fitting for an Ofanite.

At her questions, Mary calms slightly.
    "That last line confuses me, but we're hopeful it means they can be redeemed. Or some of them. Carol here thinks similarly--she's a Mecurian of Redemption. Helping redeem the community's a good idea.

As for sorcerers... well, I'm kinda working with Destiny on a project to redeem those Fate has deceived. We don't so much as work with sorcerers as try to get them to repent. Ideally become Soldiers of Heaven, but I haven't been successful yet. But I don't know much about what sorcerers can do besides some tricks. I guess a smart one could do something scary. I'll keep an ear out for it.

Oh--Carol and I are planning on visiting Burnt territories tomorrow. You, or part of you, interested in coming along? If things go south, we could use the muscle, but we're hoping to just look like two human girls out downtown."

About Andreson, she gives a concerned look.
    "Loved Love... yeah, I mean, he was a Seraph of Love before the Fall. From what I heard, lost Forces in the fighting, then somehow wound up on earth and got his vessel killed, then was in Limbo for millenia. Not sure how long, really, but by the time he got back to earth, Litheroy was already an Archangel. To be honest, I've always felt it odd he's even allowed on earth, but it's not my place to question an Archangel." She pauses, giving a quick look of scorn towards the Triad. "Well, most Archangels."

Inian, War

Jerechial nods along with Inian's comments.

"If you can avoid Noise, you should be fine. Even if you make some, doesn't mean there'd be any demons or enemy Soldiers around to notice. But, yeah, a mask is a good idea. Actually, that new Dominician suggested I send some of my men to investigate the pits and that you might be a good fit, too." With a sigh, he says, "I know Michael still holds a grudge against Dominic, and a lot of Servitors of Judgement are jerks, but if you tolerate the guy's smugness, or just his being an elohite, he might be an ally to you. But, anyway, you looking around's a good idea. From what I can tell, no demons are active there, but never know. And if we're sending more angels into town, it's possible the Princes are doing the same."

Jerechial takes the napkin, agreeing to pass on the message.

Spoiler: to Camael
    Show
    In case I forget to write he gives it to you, assume you get it before leaving the bar

---

Andreson pauses again, but not as long. "Answering questions is a good thing. Revealing information, so, yes, please ask. Biggest issue? Huh... the city is bigger than it was a while ago. The Tether to Fire is big, but I'm not sure what is truly the biggest issue. I mostly try to figure out why this area matters to me. I woke up here, from Limbo, so I probably died here during the Fall. Litheroy thinks it worth figuring out why I was here and why I feel sad about this place."

Despite mentioning sadness, he says everything in a very straight-forward and almost cheerful way. Perhaps an earnest wistfulness? His emotions are hard to read. But his bluntness about his past and feelings is perhaps not that surprising from one who is both a seraph and a servitor of Revelation.

The NPCs

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Going to have a few start to leave, but feel free to continue conversing if you were in the middle of a conversation. Like I stated OOC, this doesn't all have to be in chronological order for a social scene like this.

Gaspariel glances down to his watch and gives a grunt. Medim smiles and waves to Carol and says, "Well, pretty, I'm afraid I've gotta go. We should get our cargo back to the Commune before it gets too late."

Gaspariel says to Melektas. "I'll be a bird waiting outside in a few minutes. Let me get him in the truck and driving back first. We can fly along the leylines if you want to."

Nearby, Valufiel and Daisy start to talk. It seems like they're planning on heading back as well, but Valufiel wants to finish watching the last bit of the ball game on the TV.

Rezzial and Fortisimos are chatting while Adewale talks to Manakel. Rezzial gives a shrug then starts to head to the door. Fortisimos seems to be waiting for Adewale.

21. - Top - End - #51
    Pixie in the Playground

Melektas, Stone
    Show
    I forgot about that handy vessel. Depending on the amount, you should be able to get a good number of precious stones/metals. I'll need to think on the cost based on amoun[text missing]

There's also a practical limit in how much you can safely pawn without drawing legal or criminal attention. The likelihood of legal attention is low, since the cops are busy handling more violent crime. But the gangs (who probably have ties with the type of pawn shops that don't ask questions about a lot of diamonds) might notice a trend.

You're lucky in that you can rather easily spread out the pawning across multiple hosts, so it's not like one person trying to pawn an armload of diamonds. (This issue came up a lot in a Mage: The Ascension game I was in, where our main source of funds were creating and pawning diamonds. The DM said that, besides pawn shop owners getting suspicious or worried about too much, the Technocracy had a chance of noticing if we pawned thousands of dollars of diamonds in the same area.)

But essentially it'll cost you just 1 essence for a good sum of sellable objects. You'd need to spend 2 essence to shed your statue vessel (just like anyone shedding a vessel to assume celestial form) to go to Heaven then to that Tether. After you get the goods, you'd need to spend another 2 essence to shed your vessel again so you can return to Heaven and thus to Star Valley. So 5 essence total. It doesn't cost essence to assume a vessel or ascend/descend to/from Heaven, so that part is free.

I now realize the cost of a delivery would be 6 essence: 1 for goods, 1 for delivery, and 4 for two sheddings of corporeal form that the deliverer would have to do.
    Thank you. I'd like to plan for Melektas to do this sometime soon, then. Would tonight be possible, after she and Gaspariel make their bird-tour of the ley lines? (It'd be great to do it at the same time and take advantage of Kyrio-parallel processing, but I think that if she ascends to Heaven, all of her has to go. I don't currently remember whether it's possible for a Kyriotate to split their forces between the celestial and corporeal realms at the same time, but for the sake of simplicity, I'm going to assume that it's not.) Anyway, Melektas would like to do (1) tour of the ley lines with Gaspariel, and (2) attempt to get precious stones/metals/whatever for future sale. If that's too much for one night, then 'get sellable goods' can wait a bit.

"I give my word that any sorcerer you bring to me will be better off, or on equal footing, as they were before. You may hear from others that I have slain sorcerers, knowing they will descend to Hell. This is true. Sad, but true. But I will not do so with any when you bring them to me."
    "Wait," the robin holds out a wing. "You don't have to promise, not really. I wouldn't want you to forswear yourself if you're forced to do something. Better I become a little dissonant than risk your life, or your Tether. I trust your judgment."

Left unsaid is the observation that if you can't trust Destiny to weigh their actions responsibly, who can you trust?

"I hope you do well in service to the community, Servitor of Stone. Our attunements only let us see the Destiny of men, but my hope is you have a Destiny to fulfill or help be fulfilled here. I do not see how the Prince of Fire would benefit from the pentagram, but if such is found and can be prevented... that would be a great good."
    "Thanks! Do we even have Destinies? Angels, I mean? I don't know if anyone knows. (Well, I guess your Superior does.) But anyway, doing good's good enough for me. Doing great good's great!"

With that, the Kyriotate's conversation with Origenius begins to wind down.

---

At Melektas' questions, Mary calms slightly.

"That last line confuses me, but we're hopeful it means they can be redeemed. Or some of them. Carol here thinks similarly--she's a Mercurian of Redemption. Helping redeem the community's a good idea."
    "Oh, good!" Melektas makes note of 'Carol', who currently seems to be talking quietly with her fellow Mercurian, Medim.

"Oh--Carol and I are planning on visiting Burnt territories tomorrow. You, or part of you, interested in coming along? If things go south, we could use the muscle, but we're hoping to just look like two human girls out downtown."
    "I'd love to join you! I can come along as a mouse or something small, and be ready to possess someone. Or as a human, if you know someone suitable. There are pluses and minuses either way. As a mouse, I'm less conspicuous. But if a demon checks me out with their resonance, well, I might look strange. That could be a giveaway." The statue shrugs, then smiles. "Either way, this vessel is out."

---

The NPCs

Gaspariel says to Melektas, "I'll be a bird waiting outside in a few minutes. Let me get him in the truck and driving back first. We can fly along the leylines if you want to."
    "That'll be great! Just a minute, and I'll join you."

Melektas extends her farewells to Valufiel and Daisy, and the others with whom she has spoken. She makes it a point to give her burner phone number to everyone, especially the Seneschals. (Although Daisy is probably not someone who makes use of technology...) She also waves a good-bye to the Judgment Triad, and passes her contact information to Rezzial, for sparring at some time in the hopefully not-too-distant future.

Before leaving, she also wants to make it a point to introduce herself toJerechial, the Seneschal of the Tether of the Sword. It'll be important to coordinate with him, and she'd like his opinion on the most important sites for reconnaissance.

22. - Top - End - #52

RedKnightGirl

1) Keeping An Eye On Medim

Show

Step 1, admit quietly that Medim's better at the resonance, but ask her to please 'lose' anyway? (fast talk)
    Step 2, ask if the Commune has a number. Mostly just in case to communicate.

Snippets of the Kyriotate and Ofanim chatting away about prophecy and the Burnt were heard, and Carol marvelled at her temporary contentment for the much milder conversation she was having. Plotting to chase leads, redeem an entire Tether, and intending a meet and greet with a Seneschal of Lust – after stupidly turning down help. That's plenty for now. So she nodded along earnestly while the camouflage wearing woman that was a fun mixture of poise and ponytale echoed her thoughts, but took an involuntary backstep in the face of the Mercurian of Stone's anger. Only the talk of lovers and who she loved, age and Inian drew Carol back in. The wiser angel was looked at with humility, and she lowered her voice yet again.

“You know, I'd like to keep in touch. Does your Commune have a phone? We both know the big reason we're talking about you more than me is you've lived a more interesting life. Not that I read you better. No way you saw Elyse and beauty and love without knowing my feelings for Cathedrals and Mary and Fire. So, you already know why I'm about to ask this.” Her stomach braced itself for a no, David's ethos being all about becoming stronger and more resilient, despite Medim's heart of all things precious.

“Please pretend I won? I know it's stupid, and childish. But – in the interest of building beauty and friendship and love, even if the how and why don't always make sense?”

Spoiler: Actions.
    Show

1) Fast Talk Medim: (we both know you won...be an amazing friend and pretend I did anyway, drinks and all?)

Target Number 12.
    TN:
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[2]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[7]

2) If Two's Company...

Spoiler: large OOC concern/Jeen
    Show

OOC, I'm uneasy going to the Fire Tether together with the kyriotate (in particular). Going with someone that is just able to do near the same and vastly more (fighting, healing, talking if FT turns out to not be a thing for certain understandable reasons), in multiple places, while they also have close (if not functionally the same) hopes (help and change Fire, the Destiny/Marc money thing is an obvious example of something being built up to)? If that's anything to go by, it would be very little collaboration, much more racing. There's no joy in that. She could near literally do the entire story herself (ignoring NPCs). It's grounds for being redundant at worse, or a weird echo at best.

IC, I get the utility, protection and ideally teamwork. It would be helpful if we at least had different if slightly overlapping goals. But as is, I feel doubtful enough that it's reflected in my mood IC, rather than bottle those feelings & pretend they're not there, and I'd rather not to that extent. That said, if it's necessary/strongly preferred for three people, then w/e.

It won't go south., Carol thought to herself, oddly hurt. She looked at the none-actress, both intrigued and repulsed in an internal tug of war. The sculpted form was everything that a caring hand might crave over thousands of heartfelt hours, and having someone built for self-defence was reassuring. But it was clear roles weren't high on the statue's agenda, or where her opinion with Dominic was. The Mercurian had always been warned redeeming others wasn't always the most spotless path forward. But the invitation had already been given, so it was hard to rescind politely. She did her best imitation of a stone faced mask.

“Mary, she has the nobility of the statue of liberty brought to life, and her every step echoes with the strength of a thought-leader on stage. That kind of greatness better serves the leylines or Commune or art gallery. Wouldn't we be more efficient as is?”

The implication was obvious, in the face of Carol's concern. “Besides, ye of little faith, I really was hoping to hatch the plot with you properly overnight. Any Tether we take on, we run the risk of demons and danger regardless. But two resourceful angels strolling aimlessly – now that's a sin. ” Grabbing the bottom of her black sweater, she pulled the garment to stretch the three letter acronym for their university.

“This is our backstage press pass to all things Fire,” she smiled. “Sort of. It's a mix. We do research tonight on the Burnt and the affected area; and hammer details out to spring-board off my role tomorrow. You could easily be the member of staff overlooking a student applying her knowledge and intuition to investigate and help souls in need. Or any other angle.” A pause. “I've already signed certain waivers so the uni should be okay with it. Let alone my workplace.”

3) A Small Price For Justice: Adewale & Fortisimo (Manakel too?)

Show

Step 1, apologize to Adewale for not taking the intervie 100% seriously. (fast talk Adewale here, resonance on Fort, as Fort is supposed to have been the only none hostile angel)
    Step 2, Ask Adewale what ]heresy is. Especially how much evidence is needed for a fair trial.
    Step 3, Speak to Fort. Take subtle (?) jabs over a certain incident. Yes, when you read it at the end, that's an actual watercoloring/painting technique.

Spoiler: actual scene
    Show

Camael did not care about justice. Not at her core, in her heart, with her soul. The truth was she had never even made a vessel that did. To her, all transgressions ultimately had to be forgiven for the redemption of all celestial souls, even if it took a century or three at times. This would eventually inspire an everlasting peace across all planes of existence. But the Seraphim of Judgement she stared at the back of while she leaned against the bar, did. She saw as much when the Symphony opened up visions of an angel frustrated at clerical work, hungry to change the laws for the betterment of humanity. She saw it in brushing against a memory of him helping enact laws of equality during the US Civil Rights movement. All right before her interview with the Triad.

Adewale is a good soul – hate for me aside.

With Razziel's rumoured taciturn self by the door, there might never be a better time to start sewing her plot for Redemption-styled restitution together. Even with that odd third stoic angel also talking with the vessel of Adam Walker. Taking a deep breathe in, as though about to take a plunge into a deep and icy lake, she forced herself toward towards the judgemental pair, and mysterious Yves third. She approached to the edge of their awareness, sensing an open window in their discussion.

“Adewale, Fortisimo, hey. Can I just say how great those questions earlier were? Really insightful stuff. Anyway – there were tiny parts were I wasn't so serious, and given souls are at stake, it's important we all work together as peacefully as possible. So – in that interest,” she took a breathe in, and released it steadily and looked the Seraphim of Judgement directly in his eyes, all sincerity.

“Adewale, I'm sorry for not being a little more kindly to one that truly cares about mankind. And your expertise would be really appreciated about something. I'm clueless about what heresy really is, in the eyes of Judgement.” The part about not caring before this evening was diplomatically ignored. “Where the line stands, how much evidence is needed to bring a fair trial together. That kind of thing. Explaining now would save you valuable resources investigating as clueless angels like me don't accidentally overstep the line. That way, you can really focus on true threats to heaven. Could you enlighten me?”

Her gaze floated over to the chubby Cherub, and she smiled at him. But Gabriel never gave it enough warmth to truly touch her eyes. Unable to bring herself to offer a handshake, she settled for tapping his arm lightly by way of greeting – and hopefully getting insight from the Symphony. An anger crept up her chest, but not for Fortisimo. It was for Mary – for the pain she felt over a murder that should never have happened. There were ways to peacefully help outcasts. As with all things.

“And you – I'll never really understand not picking a role you love, Fortisimo. They're a lot of fun, and keep things quiet. Without one, I'd probably end up trying out creative ways to run around in spirit. Dead-end that that is. I'm not exactly artistic enough to be the next Jason Mathews; writing a good article is my idea of fine art? Or finger painting. Obviously, really skilful artists use way more advanced painting techniques. I hear bleeding is one way to go. ”

Carol shrugged with an indifference she didn't feel, sticking her hands into the pockets of her sweater as they balled into fists. “You heading to the local gallery anytime soon?”

Show

1) Fast Talk Adewale: (explain heresy to me oh kind seraph)

Target Number 12.
    TN:
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[3]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[8]

2) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on Fortisimo.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[6]

Check Digit: (1d6+2)[3]
    I touched him, and he's ironically the only triad angel not described as hating me. Irony.

---

4) An Organic Mix: Valufiel & Daisy

Show

Step 1, Introduce self to Daisy/Valufiel. (attempt Daisy's name, fast talk both here, resonance)
    Step 2, ???
    Step 3, mention I intend to go after Fire and Lust, then offer my number to them. More social obligation of 'support Flowers when they ask' than anything. Much more a fan of Destiny/Origenus.

Show

Swallowing down reluctance, Carol knew full well she shouldn't have delayed the meeting for nearly the entire evening. Carrying a tray with a pitcher of cool water and two glass cups, she laid it down at the table the Malakim of Animals and Seneschal of Flower still sat it. Or in the case of Daisy, on. Her youthful smile was more genuine than she anticipated.

“Sorry, I know it's getting a little late, but I just wanted to say hi. You two are the guardians of the forest we have to thank for Torel Parks, right? I'm guessing the one of raw animal magnetism is none other than the Vassal of Jordi himself, Valufiel. And the radiance of a flower in endless bloom is surely the Seneschal of Flowers. Better known up above by her true name:” She whistled a soft series of mimicry interweaving birdsong, rustling wind, and the gentle plop of a dew drop just striking a petal; the same as she practised for over a week in preparation. Hoping to god she actually did the name well, the Mercurian continued effortlessly.

“My name is Camael, Mercurian of Redemption, and of course an ally to Torel Parks.” She extended her hand to the park ranger vessel, and not for the first time in her existence, felt like a mortal politician for all the sweet words plied, those introductions made. But it was necessary to keep the peace in the heavens, and unbecoming in the extreme for a Mercurian – let alone a Metanoian – to ignore their closest celestial ally. Even on earth. As though to ensure equality after attempting to shake the hand of Valufiel, she gently grasped a leaf between thumb and index finger, and moved it only slightly higher and lower than a soft breeze might.

“It's my hope to fully redeem Fire before it can further harm anyone, let alone your Tether. Knock Lust down a peg for its polluting influences. All with the power of good communication. May I leave my number with you, in case the Flower Tether needs help?”

Spoiler: action
    Show

1) Singing. Celestial pig-latin. Attempting to say Daisy's true celestial name.

Target Number 6. Perception minus 2 for Singing.
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[3]

Check Digit: (1d6)[6]

2) Fast Talk Valufiel: (make a good impression / shake my hand, please)

Target Number 12.
    TN:
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[3]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[11]

3) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on Valufiel.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[4]

Check Digit: (1d6+2)[4]
    As usual, the bonus only works if the angel touch happens.

4) Fast Talk Daisy: (make a good impression / shake my hand, please)

Target Number 12.
    TN:
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[6]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[10]

5) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on Daisy.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[2]

Check Digit: (1d6+2)[4]

----

5) Hidden in Plain Sight: Revelations

Show

This turned out completely differently than imagined.

Step 1, attempt to mingle/tease revelation angel. Want to talk about prophecies/being Loveless/helping her with something semi-personal.
    Step 2, realize he's really a rough sleeper. (fast talk him here, resonance)
    Step 3, try to get Revelation's number (does he even know how to use a phone?)
    Step 4, go with him to seneschal of the sword.
    Step 5, try to organise a couch and shower for Anderson. (fast talk sword host, misspelling intentional)

Show

“Pretty rare for a Seraphim to join us on the corporeal side. Don't you Holiest of Holies prefer us Mercurians to do the heavy lifting?”

Carol teased at approaching the gangly angel of Revelations floating around the pinball machine. Unsure about his taste in clothing, a tattered green trench coat, the want to talk of prophecies, and Mary, and the Loveless angel himself pushed her towards him. Pushed her into a musky stench of body odour that hit her nose like a boxer. It was close to a gym sock recently made love to by a skunk. Flinching at it, her face was only scrunched in disbelief when the taste of something gritty cloyed at her back throat. The rest of the emptying room was looked at accusingly, the few that still chatted amiably, and she managed a strained smile and sad eyes for the lost soul himself.

Despite having a Word, he seemed more like a stray. It was clear how few cared about him.

This is not okay.

“Babe, look, we just met, but I swear I'm your best friend right now. Okay? Check me if you want.” Whereas the Mercurian had shaken many hands in that evening alone, she deliberately gripped his like an older sister would a child to be lead. This despite being a head shorter than him. “Now as that friend, you need to follow me to Jerechial. I'll even show you how to play that pinball machine after. Come on.”

With that, Carol gently dragged the homeless Seraphim behind her, over to an abandoned end of the bar – many patrons having long left. She urgently motioned for the Sword host to approach, her eyes still sad, frowning. Despite Revelations not knowing how to operate a pinball machine, she asked the lost angel if he had a phone. Someone needed to keep tabs on him. Her expression didn't lighten even when the Tether's leader arrived – and gave her a napkin with Inian's new number.

“Jerechial, this is my new friend of Revelations. We need to help him. You're the very best at co-ordinating us across the city. So it's easy to miss details when saving lives against massive firestorms, or picking up hints of insipid corruption. But he's sleeping rough. If we don't provide basics for the very angels meant to make change, how do we pull off a unified victory in the Pentagram? I'm definitely willing to pay a little essence a day to any soldier or soul you want, if that covers a couch for Anderson to crash on, and a place for him to shower. Please?”

Spoiler: Even. More. Actions.
    Show

1) Fast Talk Revelations: (to get him to follow and trust that she really is on his side)

Target Number 12.
    TN:
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[4]

2) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on Revelations.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[1]

Check Digit: (1d6+2)[3]

3) Fast Talk Jerechial: (to organise a place for Revelations to couch surf and shower)

Target Number 12.
    TN:
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[1]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[9]

23. - Top - End - #53
    Orc in the Playground

Show
    Sorry about not responding earlier. GITP has been acting really weird for me.

Manakel remains silent as Adewale tells him what he is up against. He closes his eyes and concentrates on the Seraph's words, looking for materials he would need to build his plan of attack. When Adewale finishes, he speaks.

"I have been tasked by our master to keep an eye out for corruption within the force, so I expected to find some amount of it, but this is quite disturbing. Madrizel must be stopped."

Manakel then gives Adewale his emergency email address so they can update each other on the situation. Manakel prepares to leave when a new Angel approaches and starts talking to Adewale and Fortisimo. Since the Vessel is female and human, Manakel assumes them to be Camael of Redemption. Having received little actual information about the other newcomers, he decides to stick around a little longer and watch the exchange. He Resonates to see what he can gather before actually talking to her.

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show
    TN=8
    (2d6)[2][1](3)
    Check (1d6)[1]

24. - Top - End - #54
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: OOC Notes
    Show
    With how the forum has been glitchy of late, I'm putting some OOC notes here.
    Also, I read the PM I received; just forum server too busy to let me respond.

Spoiler: Resonance and Dice Roll
    Show

Manakel got a 1 on Camael, so "You understand the target's current emotional state -- harried, peaceful, sluggish, melancholy, etc. -- in a broad and general fashion." I reckon UselessBob can discern that from JoyWonderLove's posts, but I'll let JoyWonderLove declare it officially.

Also, for Camael's trying to Sing Daisy's name. If I read it right, you had a failure with a check digit of 6, so a bad failure. Fortunately, she's not too offended, but I wanted to note that's why it went how it goes. If you fail a roll, the check digit is how badly it turned out, the higher the worse.

Resonance failed on Fortisimos.

Resonance on Valufiel (4)
    Spoiler
    Show

Valufiel sees himself as a valued worker for nature and Animals. For the most part, others regard him similarly. As a park ranger, he has the respect of his fellows and others in the community, even if they find him a bit stand-offish (never goes out drinking after work, for example). He does maintain friendly relationships with his co-workers, though he's kept them calling him Vincent even of a more 'friendly' Vince or Vinny.

He also works with a network of animal rights activists under another name. He's respected there as someone who is able and willing to do brutal strikes against those who would harm animals. This network includes Soldiers of Animals as well as normal humans, but he lets the Soldiers coordinate it (stepping in to tell them exactly how to coordinate it when needed).

His oddest relationship is likely that with Daisy. They are old friends who get along despite the differences their masters have on violence, and some liken their banter to an old married couple. He is also on good terms with Novalis, though he is deferential enough to avoid hinting at violence around her. Of course, he is loyal to and greatly respects Jordi.

Resonance on Daisy (4)
    Spoiler
    Show

Daisy sees herself almost as an extension of her Tether -- something common to the Word-bound, especially one Word-bound to a Tether for millennia. As such, she does not truly maintain relationships with many or have a strong sense of self beyond the preservation of her Tether and the tenants of Flowers (mostly in its more concrete form of literal plantlife, but also, if less so, in the abstract of peace and valuing life.)

In this, though respected and valued by Novalis, she also worries Novalis. One of the few she considers a friend if Valufiel, who she values as good company and a protector to her Tether and, by extension, her self. Although she does not maintain a relationship with any of her park rangers or those who visit her Tether, she has a love towards them collectively and helps them as able, such as leading a lost child back to its parents by possessing a bird to guide it.

Resonance on Andreson (3)
    Spoiler
    Show

Andreson thinks rather little of himself -- not as thinking himself lowly or unimportant, but he just honestly doesn't have much reflection on himself. But he thinks he is doing the job he is supposed to do, as well as he can (which isn't great, but something), so he's fine with that. If he were doing too bad a job, he reckons, Litheroy would tell him.

Most others regard him as odd, but with a friendly sense. To some, he reminds them a bit too much of a Remnant.

He's known as Andreson. His interests involve walking around town, pondering feelings about town, and talking with the other homeless. He tries to help them seek the light by giving them an honest ear for listening.

Spoiler: Kyriotates in heaven
    Show
    My understanding if that you can exist in Heaven and on earth at the same time. You need (I think) 3 Forces to manifest celestially. I don't know where I got that from... but that should mean you can be in celestial form on earth (indefinitely, if you want) as long as part of you is in a host. But you have those 3 Forces ascend while part of you is on earth.

I guess, as long as not all your Forces are committed, you can manifest celestially without leaving a vessel. Just manifest close to one of your current hosts/vessels.

So I think you're fine getting the valuables with your stone vessel while a bird flies with Gaspariel.

Spoiler: on PC teamwork, particularly the Tether to Fire
    Show

I understand JoyWonderKind's response. I'm fine with PCs working together. I'm also fine with you handwaving some of the reason to not work together on a particular task, even if IC the reasons don't make perfect sense, for OOC reasons like how you'd like the narrative to go.

A boon with a Kyriotate just tagging along is that ScottL could enjoy the game by whatever his other Forces are doing, with the 1 in the mouse just being backup. I could see the scene playing out almost the same whether or not Melektas comes along (assuming nobody does something to start an actual fight.)

As such, I'll refrain from having Mary comment in the post below. She'll go with whatever works with the PCs. I wasn't intending to push you two to work together, but it made sense to suggest it with how the NPCs were going. That is, it's an option, but an optional one.

Meletkas, Stone

Origenius gives another kind smile at her words. "You truly believe that, yes? Few realize that sometimes there is no good choice, and even a dissonant action may not be the worst evil. Few indeed among those who serve Stone, David being a being of honor, strength, and hardness. Again, I mean no disrespect to your Lord, but I believe you a a credit to his service. I shall strive not to betray your trust."

"As to Destiny... it is an interesting question. We know, and some of us can see, the Destinies and Fates of men, but Lord Yves says all things have a Destiny, even us. They are harder to see or fathom. To be honest, I do not know if my Lord even sees them in detail. I trust his wisdom in keeping that insight hidden. But, yes, there is someone we can do that would lead Creation, and Heaven, towards the best future; and, lamentingly, actions we celestials could do to bring things to the worst possible Fate.

Be well, Servitor of Stone."

As for the others, they welcome her information (Rezzial rather stoically, but with a small smile; Jerechial openly pleased at a Servitor of Stone willing to help fight in the city). As for reconnaissance, he says, "I have some of my boys watch the comings and goings at Oblivion, but it's risky. If Madrizel notices who is a Soldier... well, they've got good hearts, but she plays them like a fiddle, and it's all I can do to save their souls before she corrupts them--and that's a Soldier." He pauses a moment. "My guy there now is safe. Nobody is intending him harm." The Cherubic Resonance is a useful thing indeed.

"Now a kyriotate... you could do a lot more, I admit. I don't have much info on what goes on in the Burnt territories. Fire's been good at vetting anyone near the inner circle. If you're up for investigating, it'd be welcome. I have some contacts watching the Tether to Fate and watching for any humans making Noise." He goes on to describe the Burnt territory in town, and what they know of its demons, but it's mostly what you've heard before.

Camael, Redemption

Medim gives Carol her personal number as well as one that can reach the Commune's 'office'. As to her fellow Mecurian's request, she smiles and says, "Sure. There's little harm in it, but maybe I'll have you buy the drinks next time we meet up." More loudly, she says, "Barkeep, two beers!"

---

Adewale eyes Camael with a suspicious hesitation as she speaks. He does not immediately respond, letting her go on to talk to Fortisimos first. Fortisimos seems genuinely interested to hear what she has to say, though he seems outright puzzled as to her comments about art, especially the mention of blood as a medium.

Adewale coughs, clearly to draw attention back to him, and says, "A Servitor of Redemption caring about what heresy means? Well, I can see you are truly asking, so I suppose it could be within my duties to explain."
    He gives a heavy sigh, then says, "But where to begin? If your Superior has not instructed you in how to operate on earth, perhaps she should not have sent you here. In short, betrayal of the principles of Heaven." He scoffs. "Fraternazation with demons, for example, but is that not what your Archangel calls you to do? You sincerely do not see yourself as a threat to Heaven, and so far by your actions you have not been, but I shall be watching you and see what your further actions bring. Perhaps you will learn what evidence is at a fair trial personally."

With that, he starts to walk off, but pauses. Without turning back, he says, somewhat strained. "But I thank you for your apology. The questions were determined to subtly detect heretical tendencies. I admit you passed."

Fortisimos watches as Adewale exits, then says, sheepishly but with a touch of concern and care, "I, uh... maybe I will head there. Be wary, safe, and good, Mecurian."

Spoiler
    Show
    When she says she cares, I take it she is honest. If anything was untrue in word, let me know. His check digit was 6 to check what you are saying with his Resonance.

---

Valufiel gives a nod, with perhaps a touch of pride acceptance of the compliments, at Carol's greetings. Daisy moves to have the flower face towards Carol, but arches back at the attempt of her name. Perhaps the stress of Adewale's reaction, mixed with her disappointment with Daisy and worry of correct singing, led to such a discordant sound. It even carries a trace slightly reminiscient of the helltongue some of the grays practiced.

Valufiel also winces at the pig-celestial, but takes her hand readily enough, ignoring the social foible.
    "Valufiel, Malakite of Animals. You have strong ambitions, then, but welcome ones. Good hunting to you, in your fashion. If you find you need a harsher bite, feel free to call upon me." He agrees to exchange information.

Daisy, quiet at first, says, "You meant no offense. Novalis teaches forgiveness. Your help, that of peace and healing, is most welcome. Valufiel's bite is helpful, but often more than needed."

---

Andreson turns to her greeting, a confused look on his face. He does not seem to notice her response to his appearance or smell.

As she starts to lead him to Jerechial, he frowns. "S-stop lying. You mean friendliness and kindness, trying help me, but not best friend. You believe should follow you, but know I don't need to. Angels shouldn't lie, so says Litheroy. But... Mecurian? Most human of us. Friendly, yes."

He does, despite his words, allow her to lead him to Jerechial. At her concerns, Jerechial smiles. "Did you ask him if he wants help? He knows he can crash here if he wants to. I know he doesn't have a Role, but recall we don't sweat unless we want to. No Role, of course, but I think his appearance fits how he helps mankind in this city.

Believe me when I say that Andreson is a part of our efforts. He's helped me and mine plenty of times, and I'd help him if I'm able."

Andreson gives a smile and says, "Yes. That is true. Not much fighting lately for me, but I'll fight if fighting should be, except perhaps Lust. Don't want his attention." Turning to face Carol, a kind smile and his bright eyes showing in contrast to his otherwise dusty face, he says, "You meant kindness. I thank you. I... could use help in something, but I don't know what. But I don't sleep."

He leans his head to the side, eyeing her peculiarly. "Who are you? Did we meet a while ago? I don't think you're Medim, but I don't remember other Mecurians here lately."

Manakel, Judgement

Adewale gives a glimmer of a smile at Manakel's resolute response. "I will also see if I can find any records against police officiers. If their own internal affairs is corrupted, then it is most likely little would make it to my office, but I will see if I can find you a likely person to start investigating."

Watching the Mecurian of Redemption, Manakel gets a faint glimmer from the Symphony as to her emotional state.

25. - Top - End - #55
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

A New NPC Draws Near
    With a small burst of Noise, another being materializes in the room, wearing a somewhat strange outfit with pale makeup and hair colored blue and styled upright. He carries a long metal rod in his hand.

Across the room, Jerechial smiles but rolls his eyes and Adewale scrowls. It seems they know him.

With a stylish flick of his wrist, he says with a playful arrogance, "Greetings, all. I know I missed most of the meeting -- intentionally, I may add. Jean got me up to date, but it's not really my business. I'm Frez, Vassal of Lightning, one of Jean's troubleshooters. That is, I find trouble and shoot it."

He gives a bow towards Jerechial, a 45-degree bend at the waist.
    "Pleasure to see you again, Jerechial. If you need help killing anything while I'm in town, give me a buzz and I'll help if can I fit it in. Origenius, Daisy, Valufiel, a pleasure."

Turning the room, he continues, "For the rest of you, I'm a busy man. Unless you have intel on the intel leak I'm here to investigate, I don't plan to talk to anyone I outrank. I'm looking for a pretty little medical scientist by the name of Leah Rodriguez. Heard she's working somewhere in town top-secret like. She's to stay alive and ignorant of the War." He smirks. "At least until I talk to her, then we'll see."

Heading to the door, he finishes, "Jerechial can get in touch with me, if any of you know something."
    Then he exits, walking up to an Uber that has just driven up to the bar. Whoever this strange angel is, it seems he has a certain flair for the dramatic rather surprising for, and a sense of precision rather fitting for, a Servitor of Lightning.

26. - Top - End - #56

Inian looks a little amazed at the new Angel's sudden appearance and equally sudden disappearance. "Well," he remarks to Jerechial, "They're definitely showy. Wish I could travel that fast, though. Do you know if he sings the Song of Motion?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

27. - Top - End - #57
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: clarification on Frez
    Show
    He materialized from the celestial realm, not Celestial Song of Motion. You can roll perception (I'll calculate the TN later) to know that if you want, but I'm fine handwaving it. I guess it would look somewhat different, so you could know anyway. Song of Motion literally teleports you. With materializing or dematerializing, I envision it as a form coalescing or weaving itself into being.

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Inian looks a little amazed at the new Angel's sudden appearance and equally sudden disappearance. "Well," he remarks to Jerechial, "They're definitely showy. Wish I could travel that fast, though. Do you know if he sings the Song of Motion?"
    Jerechial shrugs. "Yeah, he's showy. Decent fellow, as long as you don't try to get him sidetracked from his job. I feel a bit nervous that Jean had an intel leak here somehow, though... As for his Songs, well, not really my place to say. In a fight, though, he's more a fighter than a singer. He and I had a run-in with some demons of The War and Technology back when Jean and Vapula were fighting over the city. He's a solid ally."

28. - Top - End - #58

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler
    Show
    I barely remember what I wanted to ask anyone, so now it's mostly about ending scenes and posting 2 night actions. Night actions are only in Two's Company chat and Sword & Revelations talk.

1) If Two's Company...

Spoiler:
    Show

Comment on Fez and why the intel leak is bad news for redemption, specifically.

Night action:

Asking for knowledge checks. I doubt I'm allowed to ask NPCs for that kind of thing, but

With a burst of noise and pomp, the Vassal of Lightning gave his introduction, while managing to ignore more than half the room. Carol folded arms at him, arching a brow sceptically.

“So if I teleport that lightning rod exactly where it shouldn't shine, does he short out or?” She asked the other women, before sighing frustratedly.

“But this is exactly what we don't need.” Despite it being dangerous for them all, she looked specifically at Mary. “Met definitely didn't mention an intel leak before I came here. Three guesses who the Triad'll blame first, right? So whoever's actually harming us gets all the more time to do just that.”

Carol's arms moved to her hips, a decision made. “We'll just throw it on the pile of things to do. Maybe sweet talk Revelations into helping out. Nip this thing before false accusations start flying. For now, how do you feel about us doing some background research on the Burnt overnight? We can always start through the online journalism archives. No one else has access to them that I can think of. We might piece together something important.”

Spoiler: Overnight actions
    Show

Journalism/information check (role 6 + int 4) to try and find *something* useful on the Burnt overnight. Motivations for their behaviour, and people to seek out that would be open to talk with are some hopes, but anything hopefully useful if I'm lucky.

Target Number 10.
    TN:
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[4]

Check Digit: (1d6)[1]

2) A Small Price For Justice: Adewale & Fortisimo (Manakel too?)

Spoiler: About Adewale's 6 digit check for truth
    Show

Yup, I was VERY specific about how I worded that, so saying I liked him for using laws to help humans was very honest.

From glancing at the rules, it looks like a Seraphim with 6 has the resonance last a few minutes, and they know the Truth, right? If that's right, then Adewale is probably now aware that Carol absolutely questions just how legal attacking the Outcast was. But that's if I'm reading right.

Spoiler: Manakel, emotional check
    Show

You were so close to a divine intervention, that would have been great. But don't worry about replying if it's too much of a pain. I just wanted to put it out there that we at least had a basic intro.

Emotionally, you know 100% know Carol felt anger, suppressing it as she was, but now it's closer to confusion and even disappointment.

Show

Carol didn't realize she was frowning until the Cherub of Judgement left, both balled hands slackening in her sweater. Her attention didn't leave the door they exited.

“You ever feel like the image you have of someone in your head is totally off from the person you just met?” she asked, absently. She shook her head for the confusion. Knowing it was late in the evening and beyond time to dazzle the unknown angel, she settled for a tired smile and offered a half-hearted handshake. “Carol Sinclaire. Journalist. I'm the newest agent of Redemption in the area. You're with Destiny, right?”

---

3) An Organic Mix: Valufiel & Daisy

Show

Ending the scene on my side.

Show

“Ah, but thorough friends can only help your great Tether to grow. ” Carol replied to the Flower Seneschal surely. Between Valufiel's firm handshake, Daisy's name pronounced immaculately, and the ease of gaining their details, the Mercurian allowed herself to feel pleased as she waved casually towards the television. “Now let me not distract you two any further. It's late enough as is, and we Redeemers should know better than to get in the way of the game.” With a wink, she left the duo to their discussions. Left them to speak with the reported oddity that was the Angel of Revelations.

----

4) Sharp Swords in Plain Sight: Andreson & Jerechial

Show

I'm getting tired and this is getting long, so to do it quickly.........

Show

The Mercurian nodded understandingly when the babblesnake revealed he avoided the Lust Tether, offering that she didn't exactly consider Fate a vacation spot to visit. But Carrol's cheeks burned a summer's cherry red when she released she had made another mistake, before fully releasing the babbling angel's hand and slumped into a stool. She suddenly looked tiredly at them both.

“You know the best part? This isn't even the biggest faux pax I've made tonight. Mary and I were planning on attempting to influence Fire tomorrow. Prophecy and all. She asked if someone else wanted to come along with. But my first impulse was to knock it down – even though she knows the city and its dangers better than I ever will.” She grimaced. “Jerechial, I know it's last second, but is there any chance you might be able to loan a soldier that can blend in tomorrow? In case my big mouth can't fit in the right words.”

Carol smiled apologetically at the angel of Revelations. “Regardless, sorry about the whole misunderstanding. I don't suppose I can offer to wash your coat to be even?” There was some part of her that refused to believe that odour was just her imagination. “On a bigger note, that information leak is a concern. I'm actually a journalism student doing an internship. Carol Sinclaire. Given how Lithroy is practically the CEO of all things the printed Word, I was hoping you and I could try to pinpoint who our leak is sometime? Even Judgement's own would struggle to match the detective skills of a Seraph of Revelations.”

Show

1) Fast Talk Revelations: (be open to help me dig up info on the leak sometime?)

Target Number 12.
    TN:
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[6]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[12]

2) Fast Talk Jerechial: (ask if he can potentially spare a subtle soldier tomorrow; this might be the first real fast talk attempt that I think is actually a real necessity)

Target Number 12.
    TN:
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[2]

29. - Top - End - #59
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

The End of the Night

Soon after Frez's departure, the rest of the patrons disperse.

Spoiler: Camael
    Show

Show
    For #2, I didn't catch who you were trying to handshake. Manakel?

So I looked up the Fast Talk rules, and the target gets a Will roll to resist. The Will roll is penalized by your check digit. So Jerechial failed.
    Technically Fast Talk only lasts the scene (if that long), after which they can realize their mistake, but I'll give some leeway as I'm fine blurring the lines between the social skills.

For Andreson, a mild infernal intervention for a mild action.

The rest of the angels give the Mecurian an affiable farewell.

---

Jerechial pauses and chews his lip a moment before responding. "Most of my guys are an older crowd, probably look odd with someone young like you or Mary. I don't have a Soldier that'd work well, and, also, Lawerence would frown on me sending one of my Soldiers to help you. Sorry, but it's known he doesn't care for your Superior.

But there's a guy I trust. Not completely in-the-know about what we are, but he knows we're on the Good side. Youngish, too. But keep him safe. He should be able to be here in the morning. Pick him up on your way. Name's Denver Washington."

The Seneschal's voice becomes more serious. "But keep him safe. I don't mean to judge you before I see your actions, but I know Metanoia's known for caring more about souls than actions on earth. I understand it, respect it in a sense. But I don't want my guy dying even if he's set to probably go to Heaven. Again, not saying I think you would, but I gotta look out for him."

---

As Camael talks, Andreson quirks his head back and forth and squints his eyes, a somewhat comedic look between thinking hard and looking around.

"Carol... I heard Adewale talking about some of the new-comer angels. You aren't Medim..." A frown comes to his face, a hint of anger, the first true negative emotion she's seen stick to his face. It looks foreign to his features. "You're Camael, of Redemption, are you not?" He shakes his head. "Litheroy disapproves of angels pretending to be demons, using demonic powers. No, it would be unfitting for me to help you.

And you shouldn't lie. The Servitors of Judgement here are better detectives than me."

Ending with a sad expression, he walks off, exiting the bar.

Night Actions

Camael and Mary look over the documents they can find on the Burnt. Unfortunately, there seems to be little of use. Some news reports on and around the fire, the reports of gangs consolidating. There used to be a very violent one called the Ghostbloods and a coalition of Asian gangs called the ABB (short for Asian Bad Boys), but they were either recruited, dispersed, or killed when the Burnt took over.
    They also find the address for that bakery mentioned in the paper. (As does anyone else who looks at it.)

Manakel receives a message from Adewale a couple hours after the night ends. It contains some details on the libel suit, as well as the home address and contact information for the reporter. A Perry Mathers.
    Perry was fired soon after the news agency printed the article, but Rourke continued with the libel suit not content with it printing a retraction and firing the reporter.

He also sends the name of a former detective (Sam Rivers) who got busted visiting prostitutes and using drugs, but noting that the guy was investigating Rourke for illegal activity with minors beforehand. Rivers is now a private investigator, mostly doing work for the rich side of town, spying on cheating spouses and such. Adewale suspects that Internal Affairs might be in the influence of Rouke or at least some criminals.

Melektas: Gaspariel arrives after a few minutes in the body of a pigeon. In his form, he seems more energetic and talkative, happy to show his fellow Kyriotate of Stone the city. He describes how the leylines come to a nexus, a circular point of power about a square mile in area, at each of the Tethers, then continue along a fairly straight line in the shape of star. The Tethers aren't necessarily centered in each nexus, though, but it seems clear there's a connection (even though nobody knows why.)

As he travels, he pauses at one point, confused.
    A new nexus. As they continue to travel, he says more. It was before that a nexus was at each point of the pentagram. Now, another set of five have formed where two lines meet. Most of them are smaller, although one is about a mile in area. That larger one doesn't seem to hold any landmarks of importance. It's mostly just diners and small businesses, with a couple office buildings.
    Spoiler
    Show
    Failed Perception roll to notice something tonight, but you can investigate more during daytime if you wish.

And one is encompassed completely by the Commune's territory. He rushes off to inform Medim, stating he'll also let the Seneschals know of this development.

Inian, if he wishes, is able to go about the Gravel Pits. The location does move, but it isn't too hard to find based on where some cars are. There's not much business on a Sunday night, but some gambling and various illegal things for sell. The folk to talk about joining in the fights should be in tomorrow, if he's interested.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-16 at 07:52 AM. Reason: RETCON: now named Perry

30. - Top - End - #60

Inian doesn't take any further actions during the night and spends it sleeping in his car on the outskirts of town. First thing the next morning, he drives into town and sets about trying to find a gym where he can shower and lift weights for a while. If that all goes uneventfully, he next heads to the town library to look up pro wrestling or other sideshow type events he might be able to work.

I have a quote!
    I like you.