New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

OOC Note: feel free to alter this some if you had other intentions during the night or retcon your PC actions. Just trying to set up a scene, but I'm fine altering it. Also, JoyWonderLove, did you plan on going to that bakery first or straight into Burnt territory?
    edit: also, I'm just retconning that the Seraph of Stone was never in town, since he had to drop out of the game so early. I'll probably NPC other PCs if they drop once the game is going strong

Around 9 am

Inian, War

After some slight surveying of the Gravel Pits, he is able to rest and then rather easily find some local gyms. There's some more run-down (or, perhaps, rustic with a sincere feel) in the poorer side of town and some more of the chains and fancy ones on the richer side of town. But both offer the amenities he requires.

At the local library near its opening, he finds there is little in the way of legitimate and professional wrestling. There are some boxing and wrestling gyms and teams where one could compete, but mostly for exercise or camaraderie rather than professional-level. As far as side-show events, though, he does find a notice of a "state fair"-esque traveling band coming into town, and that they are welcoming acts. A luchador could probably draw an eye.

Master Chou's Marvelous Menagerie. Complete with an address of where they are staying (a field a little ways out of the main city) and contact information to call.

Camael, Redemption

After a late night of relatively unfruitful research, Mary gets a buzz on her phone. From what Carol can hear, it's Jerechial, and Mary ends with a sad "okay".

Turning to Carol, she sighs and says, "Well, our human companion is out for the day. Turns out his mom fell and broke her hip about the same time we were leaving the Howlitzer last night. Jerechial doesn't really have another guy free right now, but he's said he can probably make something available later, especially if we show some merit today."

Spoiler: ooc
    Show
    I figured to add a touch more to the infernal intervention.

With a more chirpy attitude, the Ofanite of Redemption says, "Well, that was a long night. How about we swing by a Starbucks drive-thru and then get down to business. Did you want to hit that bakery before the Burnt? I could use a cupcake or muffin."

Manakel, Judgement

Arriving at the police station promptly at 8 am, Manakel sees his desk in its normal orderly fashion. He spends some time doing the mandatory paperwork.

Close to 9 am, one of the officers nearby says, with a bit of dis-appreciation for a new guy in the office. "Oh, hi, detective. The chief wanted you to stop by his office once you were in."

The chief of police for the western branch of the police, the branch that really does the work instead of catering to the rich, is a thin yet fit man in his late 40s, wearing a somewhat wrinkled police uniform and some fuzz on his face, but a clean haircut. He looks like someone who worked a few too many late nights and early mornings to really keep himself in pristine officer uniform.

From what Manakel has heard, the chief is pretty well respected. And, more importantly, a legit clean and good cop.

Chief Frederick Booth waves Manakel in and, with a bit of a forced smile, motions for him to close the door. Once they have privacy, he says, "Well, detective, glad to have you off your entrance paperwork and all that BS. I heard from the station you used to work at that you're a by-the-books and clean officer. That's good, because clean is what I need.

I'm sure at least half the other station is in the pocket of the rich. Some legitimately, just normal retirees funding galas and such. Some less so, bribery and such. But that's their problem.

For us, we gotta deal with the Burnt. And that means some officers on the take for drugs or cash, and some blackmailed 'cause their families or friends will suffer if they don't play ball. But you're new to town, no connections.

So, how much can I trust you, Detective. And how willing are you to work in this precinct knowing that one of your officers might stab you in the back?"

Melektas, Stone

The travel to and fro from Jerechial's Tether to that of Stone goes smoothly. It is refreshing to visit Heaven, especially after a long stay of work on earth. The beautiful Cathedral that she first emerges in, that of Lawrence, is nothing compared to the glory and grandoise nature of the catacombs that David calls home. And visiting one of his treasure holds deep in the earth is also a treasure to one who values the earth, gem, and metal under the purview of Stone.

Spoiler
    Show

How much, money-wise, were you planning on getting?
    I'll go over the essence costs when I have more time to think on it.

Or, if you weren't going to go last night, just tell me.
    I'm assuming you're in some animal vessels, but you can have whatever you want at day-start. Birds, rats, a human, etc.

When sunrise hits, the refreshing burst of essence is rejuvenating. Soon after, you receive a message with the contact information for a Servitor of Marc, along with another jot of essence. Origenius has shown his support of you with the promised information.

Melektas is fairly free to explore as she desires. Reconnasiance on an enemy Tether? That area Gaspariel described as a new nexus?
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-04 at 12:25 PM.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Night Actions

Gaspariel arrives after a few minutes in the body of a pigeon. In his form, he seems more energetic and talkative, happy to show his fellow Kyriotate of Stone the city.
    Melektas accompanies him, enjoying the company and sharing his enthusiasms. She often finds that he host forms affect her mood and style. Robins are quick and -- for her, at least -- exuberant. It's nice to share that with Gaspigeoniel.

He describes how the leylines come to a nexus, a circular point of power about a square mile in area, at each of the Tethers, then continue along a fairly straight line in the shape of star. The Tethers aren't necessarily centered in each nexus, though, but it seems clear there's a connection (even though nobody knows why.)

As he travels, he pauses at one point, confused.

A new nexus. As they continue to travel, he says more. It was before that a nexus was at each point of the pentagram. Now, another set of five have formed where two lines meet. Most of them are smaller, although one is about a mile in area. That larger one doesn't seem to hold any landmarks of importance. It's mostly just diners and small businesses, with a couple office buildings.

And one is encompassed completely by the Commune's territory. He rushes off to inform Medim, stating he'll also let the Seneschals know of this development.
    "Let me know if you need anything!" she calls as the Domination wings away.

Well. This is interesting. And significant! Melektas glides to land in a tree and think things over. New nexuses (nexi? nexii? nexim? what is the right word?), which suggests that new Tethers will be forming. All of that extra leyline energy is coming together! Of course, it would be best if the next Tether were Stone -- the Archangel would be pleased! -- but alas, the largest nexus (which is presumably the closest to 'hatching') is not in the Commune. It's here in the city, with nothing special about it that she can see just yet.

Though it is, admittedly, the middle of the night. It's more difficult to tell things about human buildings when no one is using them.

Can they be guided, she wonders, these new Tethers? Can their formation be steered? And if they can, what will they need to do?

The robin eyes the moon-lit collection of diners and small businesses, striving to remember the streets and landmarks. Then her head bobs, and she flies into the night, back to the Howlitzer. It's only polite to return her host to the area where she borrowed her, after all, and perhaps Jerechial will be willing to provide some food for the helpful robin.

Around 9 am

The travel to and fro from Jerechial's Tether to that of Stone goes smoothly. It is refreshing to visit Heaven, especially after a long stay of work on earth. The beautiful Cathedral that she first emerges in, that of Lawrence, is nothing compared to the glory and grandiose nature of the catacombs that David calls home. And visiting one of his treasure holds deep in the earth is also a treasure to one who values the earth, gem, and metal under the purview of Stone.
    Melektas revels in the presence of earth and stone all about. If only she had more time, to just be, basking in the solid depths of the world. But she has her service, and mortal time is fleeting.
    Spoiler
    Show
    How much, money-wise, were you planning on getting?
    I'll go over the essence costs when I have more time to think on it.
    Really, whatever you feel is appropriate is fine with me. Money is not something Melektas typically cares about. However, since it seems to her that there's not much funding available to the new angels in the city just now, she's feels like it's a good idea to get some ready.

Or, if you weren't going to go last night, just tell me.
    Last night would be great, if that's okay.
    I'm assuming you're in some animal vessels, but you can have whatever you want at day-start. Birds, rats, a human, etc.
    Yes, Melektas begins her day's investigations jumping from birds to mice to whatever comes along. Occasionally a human, if a human's-eye viewpoint would be helpful.

When sunrise hits, the refreshing burst of essence is rejuvenating. Soon after, you receive a message with the contact information for a Servitor of Marc, along with another jot of essence. Origenius has shown his support of you with the promised information.
    "Thank you," Melektas murmurs reflexively. She knows that the Celestial Song of Tongues does not encompass a reply, but some things are just habit.

Newly refreshed, she turns her attention to the day, first to scout the largest new nexus, and later to begin surveillance and reconnaissance around the known Tethers to Hell.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by ScottL View Post
    Newly refreshed, she turns her attention to the day, first to scout the largest new nexus, and later to begin surveillance and reconnaissance around the known Tethers to Hell.
    Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'll do some thoughts/math on money probably tomorrow, or maybe early next week. Been a bit busy at work to give it the thought due.

Looking around the area, she sees some bustling businesses. This area is on the industrial and older side of town, not quite close to the Burnt territories in the middle of the city, but close enough to the middle that it makes sense there are some office buildings and companies, along with some pawn shops, small niche businesses, and various eateries.

One does draw the eye, though, and memory. A bit sign says Poppy's, reminiscent of an old 70s diner sign. Oddly, it has, in addition to a parking lot, eatery, and drive-thru, what looks like a "walk through" where people can walk through and get a bag of food. It looks mostly to be used by homeless people.
    Behind the restaurant is a larger office building with the "Poppy's" logo in smaller print. It appears that the eatery is close to its corporate office.

Perhaps that seemingly-innocent headline about Poppy's Diner was more of a clue than it seemed.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Do You Know the Muffin Man?

When it had approached six AM with nothing for leads or new insights that Carol announced she needed a break, asked if half an hour worked for the Ofanite. The would-be journalist returned showered and refreshed, her clothes swapped for a mostly buttoned, long sleeved white shirt and black trousers. The research was continued until the phone call derailed her concentration entirely.

Strawberries, cupcakes, muffins – you, Mary Sherlock, have a bad habit of tempting me with sweet things. Throw in the margaritas and I'm not sure what your intentions are any more.” She fixed the more experienced Redeemer with a faux unease before relaxing into a well-worn smile. Physical fatigue little affected angels, but heaping hours on hours of reading for minor details was disappointing. Belial has always been erratic – how is his operation this tightly sealed? The answer is hidden here somewhere.

She said nearly the same thing to her friend at least three times, and actually believed it the first two.

Yeah, a sugar rush sounds good. Bakery first.

Despite herself, Carol didn't move from the desk, instead staring down again at an tabloid article she had sluggishly read just before. She should have known immediately that '[/b]Burnt Gang Initiates Juggle Flaming Tires and BBQ Goldfish[/b]' wouldn't give them the secrets to the Fire gang's hierarchy and motives, but hope insisted on checking. Her fingers drummed distractedly.

You know – last night, Jerry actually said we don't care about people.” She pulled a face at that, internally pushed away a feeling of guilt as it nipped at her. “At least, not in the here and now, right? Not this.” Left on right, she pinched and plucked up the skin of her vessel's hand, before letting it snap down.

It's one thing if he doesn't believe in us. I like Jerechial, regardless. But it's really not okay if he turns out to be right.” The Mercurian brought out her phone. “You okay giving me Jerry's number? I'd like to give our favourite dive bar a ring; see if Denver wants any help later. Try arranging a time that works for everyone. His mother could be in pain for weeks, even with medicine, and it can't be easy for either of them.

Spoiler: actions
    Show
    Ask for Jerechial's #, maybe call while we go to Starbucks & the bakery.

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-03-06 at 06:27 AM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

By the time Carol returns from her break, it looks like Mary has run a few laps around the apartment complex. She's not sweating -- one of the joys of celestial vessels is controlling such bodily functions -- but her disheveled hair and outfit show it. She downs a bottle of water and smiles, chuckling at Carol's comments. For whatever need the Mecurian felt for a break after focusing for hours, no doubt the Ofanite had felt it more.

"Yeah, sure. The number for the bar is the one I have, but I think it reroutes to his cell phone if nobody picks up there. I don't think he sleeps unless he's got to, like due to mortals or something. Just a Vassal of the Sword's got to keep long hours."

She grows a touch more somber, thinking about Jerechial's words and Denver. "That's a good thought, Mary. It stinks we can't go sing some Healing on anybody hurt. Sometimes I think humanity'd be more repentant if they knew, really knew, Heaven and angels and all were real." She gives out a sarcastic sigh. "Would Marc be upset if I said bureaucracy is a tool of Hell? But guess it can't be, since the Seraphim Council existed before the Fall, right? Gotta keep up the Veil or Masquerade or whatever."

---

On the way to get coffee, Jerechial answers after two rings. His "Hello" is friendly enough -- obvious you didn't wake him up -- but with a touch of caution. No doubt folk don't call his bar this early often, so he reckons it's angelic business. Which, for the Sword, usually means danger.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm not 100% sure the Seraphim Council was the ruling body before the Fall. Lucifer slew Megatron (or... Metratron... urgh, some name like that), who acted as the Voice of God, at the start of the Rebellion. So maybe they formed the council afterwards.
    But I'm fine with Mary not having the details 100% right. And I don't have to check the canon right now.

6. - Top - End - #66

RedKnightGirl

Spoiler: mostly idle chatter
    Show

This whole post is mostly just daydreaming and talking too much. Only the important part is in the very last paragraph, asking Jerry if Denver needs help.

Do You Know the Muffin Man?

Saving the number for the Sword Seneschal, Camael nodded absent-mindedly her agreement when Mary spoke about unmasking heaven to humanity. She had toyed with the idea before. Grasping the mobile's body, she tilted it back and forth, as though weighing the hypothetical.

If they dropped the veil, Redemption would be kind of like exercise, right? Most humans are probably weighed down by some guilt or shame. So, there'd be more interest in us than a gym in January.” A smile grew on her face.

We could become spiritual gym instructors, if you want, or lifestyle coaches. I do deep soul scans to suss out where they need forgiveness and emotional support, and you give them a sense of safety and inspiration based on your own life experiences. Together we build up a client base of happy, fulfilled souls. That's when we make out like bandits and start our own company right on top of a Redemption Tether itself.” She paused, eyes slowly widening in clarity. “Shotgun CEO!

Grinning to herself, Carol happily searched online for potential names for the fantasy company, asking Mary for suggestions. Sinclaire Ltd was taken as a twitter account, and Sherlock Incorporated had it's own detective agency already active since the earlier 2000s according to it's website. She tsked, looking up from her handheld screen.

Can anyone even upset Marc, though?” she wondered, doubtful. “He's the original self-made Mercurian. Pretty sure a Creationer saw him on a Monday and coined the term 'laughing all the way to the bank' afterwards. But we can always test it when I go for a loan. Just wait until I've signed a divine contract before asking him why money is the root of all evil. Alright?

---

Jerachial! Hey. It's Camael, from Redemption? Before I begin, can I say what a great meet and greet yesterday was? Roman was really helpful, your margaritas were ace, and I appreciate you giving leeway on the noise. You've got the whole heavenly host thing to an art.

Carol checked her reflection in the sideview mirror, and felt unsure for the tenth time if she should have opted for a more casual look to blend in better. She dimly noted them turning off of Crawford Street and left unto Lindon Road. Not more than seven minutes from the nearest Starbucks drive-thru, she guessed. The car was held by solid red at a set of traffic lights.

Anyway, lemme get to the point so I'm not blocking more vital calls here. Mary mentioned to me what happened with poor Denver last night. It must be scary for him, seeing his own mother in pain like that. Let alone how she must feel now. But you know them better than I do, Jerachial. Do you think they'd want an extra pair of hands from our side? I'd gladly arrange to pop by and help out, but I forgot to ask for contact info. Any way for me to help?
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-03-08 at 04:33 PM.

7. - Top - End - #67
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

OOC ALL: Waiting for Inian's response to this 9 am findings & Melektas' to seeing Poppy's Diner. Noting that here in case you missed the post. Also, I haven't heard from UselessBlob yet.

Spoiler: Essence for Money, for Stone
    Show

There is no cost to ascend to heaven or to return to earth, and returning to earth can come with a free materializing of a vessel. (It has to, for non-kyriotates/shedim. Seems to fair to say it can for a kyriotate who has a vessel.)
    So total cost for you is 2 to unweave your stone vessel to go to Heaven. 2 cost to unweave after getting the goods to return to heaven.
    For monetary goods: the cost is roughly* 1 essence per $10,000. Per an agreement with David and Marc, the amount any Servitor of Stone can get in a year is $100,000. That's to prevent destabilizing economies, celestials from having undue influence on mortal affairs, and drawing mortal attention to celestials.

David can authorize more, if his mission for you requires it, but you know his opinion is probably that you should use other means. (Though, if you want permanent funds, you can spend xp on a Servant with high Status, to get somebody whose job is basically to provide you with money. But that's available to all angels, just as non-kyriotates could get a Role with decent Status. There's plenty of wealthy retirees here so might become generous if an angel were to show up and reveal the facts of Heaven and Hell. Just get permission first.**)

*for mechanical purposes, treat as the same, but technically roughly as you're getting goods to pawn/sell
    **I'm being a bit tongue-in-cheek here. Getting a Servant is usually a mix of finding and vetting someone as a good prospective Servant, then getting permission from your Superior, then revealing the truth (or at least part of it) to the Servant. You can get humans to work for you without that, but a real Servant has a metaphysical link to its celestial, as well as giving you a mechanical benefit: they have to succeed on a crazy-hard Will roll to disobey you.

Camael, Redemption

Will post later today or Tuesday; something came up as about to write this
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-09 at 09:56 AM.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Firbolg in the Playground

As soon as Inian finds the address of the circus, he heads back out to his car, dons his normal mask, and drives over to it, showing the remarkable lack of planning typical of Ofanim.

Once he arrives at the field, he wanders around until he finds someone that looks important and corners them. "Hey," he says, doing his best not to be intimidating despite his blacked out eyes. "I'm here to talk to the boss. I'm a pro wrestler looking for some gig work, thought I might see if you have room for any of the acts I can do."
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

OOC: see OOC thread for an info-request to you all

Camael, Redemption

Mary laughs at Carol's jokes, but quiets down once Jerechial is on the phone.

The Seneschal's wariness soon fades, a sigh of relief audible from him.
    "Thanks, Camael. And no harm in calling. Just, in my line of work, it usually means trouble. Th-that's really sweet of you, Carol, and, yeah, I'm sure Denver and his mom would appreciate it."

He gives you the guy's contact information and address. "Tell him you're a friend of Jeremiah Howser. Just remember that Denver isn't one of my Soldiers or in-the-know."

---

Starbucks cups half-drained, the duo of Redemption arrives at the bakery. It's a cheerful looking, if somewhat small, place, with a decor of white picket fences around and pastel flowers (some real, some just painted on the exterior wall).

A cheerful bell rings as you enter, the smell of coffee and fresh-baked good permeating the store. Glass display cases show cupcakes, cakes, and other sweets. You can see a woman working in the back room, apron dusty with flour as she works on some confection. At the cash register, behind a display case showing smaller cupcakes, cookies, and muffins, sits a somewhat-bored looking girl (late teens or early 20s), hiding her cellphone with her hand and with a professionally courteous fake smile on his face.
    "Hello, and welcome. How can I help you today?"

Inian, War

The circus caravan contains several RVs, trailers, and other things one would expect of a traveling menegarie.

A tall, lanky man with a twirly mustache (reminiscient of a less-exaggerated Walugui of Mario Brothers fame) is coordinating people.

At the luchador's approach, he raises an eyebrow in curiousity. With a bit of a sneer-laugh, accompanied with a slight coughing fit, he says, "Sure, sure, the boss was wanting some local acts. You don't look local, but you look interesting. But the boss is busy. Hmm... maybe one of the boys?"

He waves other to rather massive fellow moving a crate.
    "Hey, Bubba. Drop the crate -- not literally, you oaf! -- and come here."

"If you got good moves, boy, how about you show 'em to me on Bubba here."

'Bubba' stands there with a dull look in his eyes but a smile on his face. "I'll try not to hurt ya," he says, kindly, as he cracks his knuckles.

Show
    You are free to turn down the fight, but if you are up for it, feel free. Figured it'd be nice to test the combat mechanics in a somewhat neutral sense.

Make sure to roll for Noise if you do harm. TN is your 6 + your Role's rank, so TN 9.
    Also, if you want, read the "Pulling Punches" houserule at
    https://forums.giantitp.com/showsing...92&postcount=5

If you start combat, feel free to do the first round. As an Ofanite of War, you always go first.

Also, as the fight hasn't started, you aren't running away. So it's not dissonant to just refuse the fight.

Melektas, Stone

OOC: if you want to investigate further, let me know how and in what host
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-10 at 10:04 AM. Reason: fixed typo in names

10. - Top - End - #70
    Pixie in the Playground

One does draw the eye, though, and memory. A bit sign says Poppy's, reminiscent of an old 70s diner sign. Oddly, it has, in addition to a parking lot, eatery, and drive-thru, what looks like a "walk through" where people can walk through and get a bag of food. It looks mostly to be used by homeless people.

Behind the restaurant is a larger office building with the "Poppy's" logo in smaller print. It appears that the eatery is close to its corporate office.

Perhaps that seemingly-innocent headline about Poppy's Diner was more of a clue than it seemed.
    Melektas scouts the "Poppy's" area during the morning, passing her presence among the local birds and mice. She notes the opening times and general patterns of operation of the business. After a while, she attempts to possess one of the homeless people heading in, to observe from inside the diner, as humans do.

Around the same time, she attempts a preliminary foray into the corporate building, in the form of a field mouse.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Melektas, Stone

Quote Originally Posted by ScottL View Post
    Melektas scouts the "Poppy's" area during the morning, passing her presence among the local birds and mice. She notes the opening times and general patterns of operation of the business. After a while, she attempts to possess one of the homeless people heading in, to observe from inside the diner, as humans do.

Around the same time, she attempts a preliminary foray into the corporate building, in the form of a field mouse.
    Spoiler: clarification
    Show
    The homeless aren't actually walking into the restarant, but going through something similar to a drive-through, but for walking. If you want your host to walk inside, though, certainly can.

If you want to sneak in through the front door, give me a Move Silently roll. You can have a +1 bonus to your target number due to being a small mouse.

The business is doing fairly well. The morning breakfast rush is mostly over, but cars stop by fairly often, mostly through the drive-thru but with a few eating in. The staff look to be mostly teenagers or college kids with one middle-aged man as the manager. The manager is, every few minutes, stopping to chat with one table that seems mostly full, but he's also greeting the other patrons and helping in the kitchen and with cleaning.

The homeless and poor are in a line walking up to a 'drive-thru' window, on a side safely away from the road and the traditional drive-thru. Melektas observes it closely from her host, seeing how each person gets a bagged meal. She herself is greeted by a pimply teenager. He has a bored and disgruntled look at the work, but politely hands her a bag. Inside, she finds a cheeseburger, a can of Coca-Cola, a small package of french fries, and some napkins. It appears like everyone is getting the same meal.

---

The mouse is, after some time, able to find a ventilation shaft through which it can enter the building. Or could try to sneak in through the door, but that risks being seen.

12. - Top - End - #72

RedKnightGirl

Plucking a pen from between the dashboard and car windscreen, the details were jotted down on the back of the newspaper they had gotten yesterday. “Great, got it, thanks. We'll definitely give Denver a call. Have a good one.

---

Having the wherewithal to leave her Starbucks cup back in the car, Carol gave only a cursory if appreciate glance at the cakes available before she returned a casual smile to the bored cashier.

Good morning! We were hoping to ask you the same, actually. I'm Carol Sinclaire, this is Mary Sherlock; we're students at Star Valley U. The wonderful work your bakery is doing for the hospital inspired us to stop by. We wanted to ask how we might help you realize that follow up delivery. Could we please speak with your manager?

13. - Top - End - #73

Inian grins as he shucks off his shirt and throws it over onto the boxes. "Yeah, sure, sure," he says, dropping into a squat and spreading his arms out wide. "Do you want actual catch-as-catch-can, some good lucha things, or something in between?"

Evidently Inian said that to throw his opponent off, since he lunges forward without waiting for a response. He grabs for "Bubba"'s arm as he passes and swings around to face "Bubba"'s back. If Inian gets the arm, he wrenches it up and back, trying to put the other man in a hammerlock.

Spoiler
    Show
    I'm kind of going off pro wrestling logic of passing out from the pain here, so if this isn't appropriate for the choke-hold rules I'll edit it into some kind of a choke.

Fight: (3d6)[5][3][1](9)

I have a quote!
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

The lanky man is about to respond when Inian lunges forward.

Bubba tries to dodge out of the way, but isn't fast enough and feels the full contortion on his arm and muscles. He attempts to head-butt you, but you are able to shuffle his bulky form and move your head out of the way, just feeling his flesh brush you.

Wimpering, Bubba says, "O--okay. You win."

Spoiler: combat mechanics
    Show

Round 1: you attack Bubba and do 5 damage, almost enough to incapacitate him. He fails to dodge.

He swings at you successfully, but your dodge TN of 14 meant you automatically 'soaked' all the damage he dealt.

Round 2 could have occurred, but you'd KO him instantly. Bubba ain't smart, but he wants to surrender.

The tall man is smiling. "Those are pretty good moves. Folk here call me the Ringmaster. I handled the animal shows back before PETA and those bleeding hearts made us give them all to zoos. Now I organize what's left of this and let Master Chou focus on his act and the finances and all those bunk.

You want a job? You got it. We hope to do an opening act tomorrow afternoon. I'll figure out your pay once Master Chou's thought about it and we see how you perform, but fifty bucks for some wrestling tomorrow with some guys sound good?"

Camael, Redemption

The girl's expression livens up a little at words that are more than "I want this or that, quick".

"Uh, hi, yeah. I'm at Star Valley, too, actually. Um, let me get--"

She's cut off as the woman from the back walks into the main room, still wearing the flour-y apron. In a sweet voice, she says, "I heard. That's so sweet of you. The newspaper was kind to say something about the atrocity, but it is a hardship."

Her brown eyes rest on Carol for a few seconds, then move to Mary. She looks upward, as if contemplating how these helpful students could help.

"The hospital's being nice with us, so no trouble with them. Doing the extra baking on the side isn't hard, but takes time. I don't suppose either of you are chefs, huh?
    My main concern, really, is that another, ahem, accident doesn't happen. The mechanics, and the cops, found nothing wrong the delivery truck. But just a few days before the delivery, a scary man calling himself Trip came by. Said he was selling security in the area, to help with the Burnt expanding."

She shakes her head, sadly. "I told him we trusted the police and weren't interested. But, thinking back, I think he was the Burnt. A, uh, protection racket, maybe."

The cashier girl rolls her eyes (safely behind her manager's sight) at her manager's naivete. The manager continues. "But, well, that's more something the police would need to deal with. Not sweet girls like you. Unless, maybe, you could discretely make the delivery?"
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-12 at 11:50 AM. Reason: clean up spacing; no text changes

15. - Top - End - #75

RedKnightGirl

The manager asked after their culinary abilities. Carol thought better of mentioning she made a mean cup of ramen noodles and black coffee, and instead shook her head. She would need to stretch herself before attempting true leisure journalism. Concern flickered across her eyes when Trip was mentioned, and despite the student role, still chanced a glance at Mary. As the manager continued onwards, Carol nodded sympathetically while the woman explained the racketeering.

Oh! As a future journalist, discretion is a key skill of mine.” A university ID card bearing her benign likeness and course department was produced easily and offered to the manager, Carol wanting to encourage discernment in her. “And Mary here is an assistant librarian, so her organisation and respect for timescales is outstanding. We could easily have your goods delivered safely, swiftly, and discreetly.

Self-conscious she was starting to sound like she was in a job interview, Carol cleared her throat to restart more calmly. “Really doable, honest. What day and time would you want it delivered? Is any particular doctor expecting it, to ease our way with the receptionist?

16. - Top - End - #76
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael

"Hmm..." the woman muses. In a more business-like tone, still sweet, but more professional and to-the-point, she continues, "I haven't set up a date with the hospital yet. They do like to arrange things like this, but maybe we should do a surprise. Y'know what: you two have invigorated me. I think I'll pull a late night and make a new, good match of sweets. What if you pick up at 6 am tomorrow? Not too early, I hope.
    Sound like a deal, Miss Sinclaire, Miss Sherlock?"

Mary shrugs and looks at Carol, an amused look in her eyes. "I'm in if Miss Sinclaire is."

The employee rolls her eyes again and walks into the back room, looking at her phone. She types a bit, then gives a wry smile at the two of you. Her face then turns mostly blank as a transparent mass of flesh exudes from her body, lumpy charred flesh covered with bloodshot eyes and an assortment of deformed arms and legs with long, razorish nails. It starts to float away through the back walls of the building.

The shedite having exited, the now-free girl shakes her head, looking disoriented, then goes and washes her hands and seems like she's just getting back to normal business of the shop. Mary looks completely unfazed. Either she didn't notice it or she's putting on a really good face.

Spoiler
    Show
    It's a Perception roll to see another celestial in celestial form. You get a bonus to your roll if a shedite/kyriotate is exiting a host in front of you. Carol definitely made her roll.
    Those possessed are technically doing what they do while possessed, but remember it in a half-dream sense. So the cashier girl probably doesn't have a clear memory of anything she did while possessed.

Also, if you want to have no reaction at all, give me a Will roll. You can use the Emote skill if you have it, but no penalty if you don't.

And, OOC note: I know you said you don't want your angelic nature known. I'll just say so far, it isn't. Feel free to have Carol worry about what the 'wry smile' means IC, but I felt like assuring you OOC that no demons know Carol is an angel. That said, no promises such assurances will remain the case, but I'm not going to have you lose your cover due to a plot point you can't avoid or foresee. But, uh, keep in mind that some of the shedite's eyes can still see you, when deciding how you react to it. Humans can notice a shedite, but it's rare for them to unless they have unusually high Perception (or are in-the-know.)

By the core rules, any human can roll Perception to see a celestial... but that seems like any shedites or kyriotates would break the Veil too easily, so I'm using this houserule
    Quote Originally Posted by my houserules
    the only humans that can see celestial forms are those with Perception 5+ or Symphonically-aware. This seems in line with the idea that not just anyone can see an angel or demon flying around, but some do. A human who sees someone go celestial can roll to perceive the new form, even if they normally could not. (If they succeed, they can always roll to detect celestials from then on, as they have experience perceiving it.)

Consequently, I could see letting Shedim of Nightmares be perceived at lower Perceptions, since part of their deal is being perceived as monstrosities.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-03-13 at 02:45 PM.

17. - Top - End - #77

RedKnightGirl

Nobody Likes Burnt Cakes

Carol took an involuntary step back, paling as a charred cloud all burn scars and malformed limbs poured out of the disorientated assistant. Crooked limbs ended exactly where other's threatened to begin. It's bloated body was translucent, the easier to see its many bloodshot eyes, and her stomach knotted for fear they celestially saw her. The daytime nightmare mercifully started disappearing through the far wall. One hand, a sprawl of broken fingers, seemed to spasm and twitch back and forth like a drunken puppeteer granting his creature the mockery of a wave goodbye.

Even knowing what it was, the Mercurian's mind struggled to understand any of it. Some part of herself shrieked internally. Forcing an exhale, relaxing into the fear, her eyes became diamonds. She willed her senses out, towards and through the receding revulsion in a stubborn attempt to make sense of the monstrosity. Her eyes flicked concernedly afterwards, first to the groggy student discarded like a mouldy sock-puppet, and back to the good-hearted baker that toiled for children.

Tomorrow. Six AM.” Carol clipped, voice thick with gravitas. Closer in essence to humanity than she was an Elohim, and far from being a fighter, she felt a sense of angelic pride as she managed a mostly still hand over the glass display of cakes and treats. Shedite be damned, she thought bitterly.

You have a deal, Misses...

Unsure the baker wouldn't decline due to flour on her hands, Carol still gently motioned over to the third student after the agreement was made. “Hey. While we're the only one's around – is your assistant okay? Seems like she could use some air.

Spoiler:
    Show

I really thought they're normal humans and everything was okay, so why resonance at all? NOW I'm not sure I shouldn't charm/resonance everyone purely to be safe.

1) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on fire Shedite going through the wall. IT hopefully shouldn't be as far away as 30 feet (In nomine book on p 57) so I shouldn't be worried about penalties?

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[6]

Check Digit: (1d6)[6]

2) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on the baker.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[5]

Check Digit: (1d6)[5] (+2 only if handshake happens)

18. - Top - End - #78
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Spoiler: Resonance on the baker
    Show

I'm breaking it out by what each level of check digit yields. Failed on shedite, but worked on baker.

1--She thinks highly of herself and, generally, that she is better than most around her because she has earned her place and privledges. She cares about those who can help her.

2--Most others regard her as a kind and fair, if somewhat flighty and naive, person. They tend to look down on her as ignorant or not-quite-all-there.

3--Samantha Lilian Baker (her friends call her Sammy) is interested in social networking and fancy dinner events. And, obviously, baking and catering. Really cooking of all sorts, as long as it's well-done, but she's focusing on sweets lately.

4/5--Currently, she's seen as a friendly and helpful (if slightly naive) woman in the local social scene, who smooshes with several wealthy leaders in the city's circles and often provides excellent catering. She values these friendships and the influence they allow to her; they are her source of self-respect and confidence. She cares little about others, but does care about appearing to care since that's important to her networking. She also has an important relationship with the person who funded her businesses (the current one and previous ones that failed); he's nice and fun enough, but really she would prefer to be free of him and his friends. She's in touch with some of her family, but not many of them and is wary of being ensnared in family politics.

The baker -- now known as Samantha or Sammy -- gives a giggle and wave of her hand at the handshake, kindly refusing with an indication of the flour and batter on her hand. At the mention of her employee, a slight frown comes to her face.

She turns to face the girl, saying with a touch of scorn the angels hadn't heard before, "Kaylee, do you need some air? You haven't been sneaking too many sweets again, have you dear? Remember your diabetes."
    Kaylee gives a surprised and sad look. "Um, no, no, ma'am. Don't think so." Some confusion comes to her face, perhaps as she realizes she doesn't quite remember the details of the recent past.

Samantha lets out a tsk, tsk and a "Take a 15 if you need to, dear" before turning back to you two.
    "Sorry about that. But 6 am tomorrow morning. Do you have your own vehicle, or should I provide one? Your own would probably be discrete, but I know how it can be with funds during college."

19. - Top - End - #79

Inian shakes his head. "I could makes more than fifty a night waiting tables, Ringmaster. I can give you the names and phones of promoters I've worked for back in the Midwest and on the East coast. Hell, I trained with goddamn Gene Lebell. I'm not going out for less than a hundred."

"Besides, if you want me doing more catch wrestling," he says gesturing to Bubba's arm, "I could wind up legit hurt if I wind up in there with someone better than me."

"Now, if you want me to do lucha libre exhibitions with one of your gymnasts, that I can do for fifty. If you let me hawk my own merchandise after my set."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    Inian shakes his head. "I could makes more than fifty a night waiting tables, Ringmaster. I can give you the names and phones of promoters I've worked for back in the Midwest and on the East coast. Hell, I trained with goddamn Gene Lebell. I'm not going out for less than a hundred."

"Besides, if you want me doing more catch wrestling," he says gesturing to Bubba's arm, "I could wind up legit hurt if I wind up in there with someone better than me."

"Now, if you want me to do lucha libre exhibitions with one of your gymnasts, that I can do for fifty. If you let me hawk my own merchandise after my set."
    Inian, War

The Ringmaster gives out a pleased, yet somewhat unpleasant, laugh.

"I see you aren't just some brute with a fancy mask looking for an easy buck. 50 for an act with one of our gymnasts, and, yeah, you can sell your stuff and keep the proceeds. And maybe an extra hundred if we want a wrestling match as well. I'll have to see how our venue will look.

Give me your number and I'll give you a call about when to show up for tomorrow's show. And, if you're legal to work in the US, bring proof. If we keep your act, we'll pay you better if we can pay you above-the-table. ::cough:: Not that we pay anyone under-the-table, of course. But we are a clean shop. Looking sloppy is part of the gig and dance. If you show up drunk or high, you're gone."

21. - Top - End - #81

RedKnightGirl

When the baking socialite turned back to them to apologize for her assistant, the burst of experiences that surged out of the Symphony about Samantha had already ended. Carol nodded with reluctant understanding. Between knowing the business owner truly toiled solely for airs and appreciation, and the fallen celestial's presence still singeing at the edge of her senses even as it receded further and farther away, the seriousness about her was slow to seep away.

We have our own. Only adds to the surprise, right? That was your intention,” the adolescent demurred, despite being unable to relax back into herself fully. “Would you please cover gas costs, though? Mary deserves that and a lot more. She got us here safely after helping me with an hours-long project.

Carol's expression lightened. “Kaylee, hey. You okay with us keeping you company outside? Journalistic integrity insists I find out how a tight-knit community like SVU means we've never met.” She smiled, concern for what happened to the human student resurfacing in her eyes. “Besides, Mary here was friends with a doctor. She might know a tip to help you feel better.

Spoiler: late will roll
    Show

The dice have scared me off of rolling casually. Tell me if I need to FT attempt anything please. Also when I was writing the reply in #77, I completely missed the part about a will roll not to react. I imagine most people....are not okay seeing one of them. Also, flying under the radar is a strong hope, but there's some minor perks to not having to do it, so w/e.

1) Late Will check for #77 post. Try not to react to the creepy demon thing.

Target Number 12?
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[5]

Check Digit: (1d6)[1]

22. - Top - End - #82

Inian laughs. "Hah, no, I'm not in this for an easy buck. I genuinely love performing for people. But I gotta eat too."

He hands over his phone number to the Ringmaster. "I have a driver's license from New Mexico. That work for you for proof? And for the call, I'd appreciate it if you could give me at least an hour or two to go over things with whoever I'm getting paired with. I'd like to figure out how much they know about working a match and what they can do before the show."

Inian turns to pick up his shirt, but pauses and asks, "By the way, has anyone else from this area shown up with acts?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

9:50 AM

Spoiler
    Show
    For the next IC post, or one coming soon enough, give me 5 Perception rolls.

Camael, Redemption

Spoiler
    Show
    You managed to keep it from noticing.
    I thought you had decided not to roll since you said you took a step back in surprise.

And I forgot you had 12 will, so only a 1/256 chance of failing (that is, only on an infernal intervention.

For shedites and kyriotates, if a human sees them in celestial form (and maybe fail a Will roll), they are stunned with shock and (at least for shedites) disgust. Though even kyriotates look pretty gross to human perception.

Kaylee looks a bit uncomfortable at the offer, but smiles. "Uh, sure."
    Once outside, she turns to Mary then, biting her lip, says, "I have felt kinda out of it the past week or so. And, just... I dunno, things get fuzzy. That sounds nice."

Outside, Mary gets a sheepish look and says, "Well, I was friends with a doctor, but he didn't teach me much. How long have you been feeling bad, Kaylee? And how long have you been working here?"

The girl pauses, "I guess been feeling bad, or whatever it is, since about a week ago. But I've been working here almost a month now. Samantha's nice to take me on. She can be a bit grating at times, but most places in the nice side of town wouldn't consider hiring me. I was living on the bad side of town, and most people here make assumptions about where you live. It was just a cheap apartment, cheaper than university housing. But it burned down. Fortunately, between my pay here and how the mayor and university president made some student housing cheaper, I'm on-campus now."

Inian, War

The man gives another guffaw-cackle laugh and actually twirls his mustache a moment. "Yeah, that'll do. And I think you'll be a good act. Hmm... as for others, a few college kids making a joke out of it, or just with no talent. No other accepted acts.
    And, yeah, I'll give you enough time's notice. Should send you the times tonight."

As Inian leaves, he gets a text. Actually, a series of texts all in about three seconds.

<It's Malcolm. My girlfriend's in trouble. She's in class with me right now, but she's going to die in less than five minutes. I can't sense who after her.>
    <This shouldn't be possible. Michael said it'd give a day's notice.>
    <Any advice? Thinking of getting her to a bathroom or closet or something.>
    His final text is the school's address. At least 30 minutes of driving or running faster than a mortal should be able to run.

24. - Top - End - #84

RedKnightGirl

Lightbulb Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Outside of the building the Shedite was sighted, basking in the warmth of the Californian sun, Carol let a sigh of release slip. She looked gratefully as Mary made an attempt at playing doctor. Doubting such a shy new acquaintance would care to be touched, and unclear why the Shedite would choose to possess the student instead of the business owner, the journalist stood patiently nearby while unseen senses tried to listen to the unique resonance that was Kaylee's life.

Nice, I'm campus side too. Been newsbugging around for less time than you've been hired here, though. But you've felt off about a week now, so around the time Trip came by. Right?” Carol asked curiously. “Between your studies, your apartment burning down, and arsonists dropping by for a chat, it sounds like you've been under a lot of stress, Kaylee. And stress can come out in a ton of forms. Like, say, you might have found it harder to argue with bad habits lately? Or your memory has felt more fuzzy recently?

Spoiler: Mercurian Resonance
    Show

Worse case scenario, the Shedite went after Kaylee because she was just convenient or less stubborn? Best case scenario, learn more about the burnt accidentally?

1) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on Kaylee.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[2]

Check Digit: (1d6+1)[5] (+1 for being within a yard of Kaylee)

Spoiler: 5 perception roll, TN8 all
    Show

1) Perception check.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[5]

2) Perception check.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[4]

3) Perception check.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[2]

4) Perception check.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[1]

5) Perception check.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[6]

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-03-19 at 05:01 PM.

25. - Top - End - #85

Inian jogs back to his car, cursing under his breath and texting rapidly as he goes.

<Take her to the nurse if you think it might be health.>
    <Find somewhere a little hidden otherwise. OMW>

He pulls his car out of the circus' field, fighting with every bone in his body against the urge to start his car screaming down the highway. Once he's out of sight of the circus, Inian yanks the wheel hard to the right and skids onto the shoulder of the road. He shucks off his mask, replaces it with a black balaklava, and, as quickly as he can muster up his Essence, sheds his Vessel and assumes Celestial form.

Spoiler: Assuming things work...
    Show
    A star-burst shaped wheel of fire appears above the car as Adrian disappears. It hovers in place for a moment, turning to point towards the town, and then speeds off leaving a trail of holy fire in its wake.

Spoiler
    Show
    Taking Celestial Form, TN8: (3d6)[3][2][1](6)
    Using Resonance, TN7: (3d6)[1][1][2](4)

I have a quote!
    I like you.

26. - Top - End - #86
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

Inian, now in his true form, feels the full potential of his divine nature: pure energy and pure motion. The land around him blurs as he rushes towards the school.

Spoiler: OOC a choice
    Show

By the rules, you move 2 miles in that first minute and have to re-roll to maintain your superspeed.
    In a live game, I'd probably make you do that, but for a few reasons (lag so common to PbP, slight buff to Ofanites, and ease of rolling), I'm fine with you maintaining your speed based on one roll for a while.

That said, if you want to try to get there faster by rolling again, you can. But a failed roll or a lower check digit would slow you down.

Thus, giving you a choice.
    Option A: you maintain 2 miles per minute speed and get there between 9:53 and 9:54 (9:50 + 1 minute to car + 2.5 minutes to travel 5 miles)
    Option B: you can reroll to see if you get a check digit of 3 and have some more time

Regardless, IC stuff below for each option. Well, assuming no intervention on the reroll. Feel free to read the outcomes below if you want to weigh the risk.

Spoiler: IC if Option A or Option B with same roll or a 1
    Show

The fiery form comes to rest looking down on a middle-sized high school. You can hear a high-pitch alarm going off from the school. Several clusters of students and teachers are outside the school, but it looks like the main entrance has caved in as if from an explosion. You see police cars coming quickly.

Spoiler: IC if Option B and 3+
    Show

The fiery form comes to rest looking down on a middle-sized high school. You can hear a high-pitch alarm going off from the school. From some of the entrances and side-doors, you see students and teachers fleeing in a failed attempt at orderly escape. In horror, you see an explosion at the main entrance, caving it and trapping students underneath.

Spoiler: IC if Option B and Resonance fails
    Show

Your connection to the divine falters about half-way towards your goal. You feel the essence of speed and motion leave you.

Left to your normal self-populsion, you know there is no chance of reaching Ramiel in time.

Camael, Redemption

Kaylee grows quiet as she focuses on the questions and reflects. About half a minute passes somewhat awkwardly, when she finally answers.

"I guess it is about when Trip showed up, yeah. I wasn't on shift when that happened, but I heard about it. Maybe I took it more seriously than I thought, like, subconsciously." She sighs, and, with some shame and embarrassment, admits, "I, uh, yeah, guess I have. I don't have diabetes -- don't know what Miss Samantha keeps saying that -- but I do get a sugar-crash if I get too many sweets. And I guess I have stress-ate some when she wasn't looking. And sometimes an hour or more passes and I don't really remember what I've done. It's often just when I'm at the dorm or working, so, like, easy to look track of time just doing the routine, but it's kinda frightening. And guess I've been more snippy lately. Said some nasty stuff to my mom, argued with a friend, stuff like that..." She pauses, a look of horror on her face. "My... oh, my... just yesterday I tossed my roommate's sweater into a trashcan and lit it on fire. W-what's wrong with me? I'm not that kind of person. All she did was spill my coffee, and I just lost it."

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show

1/2--Kaylee is rather self-conscious. Although pretty, she feels like she's too chubby and that others make fun of her. And that is kinda true, but most people mean it in a nice or just petty-meanness. Her family is proud of her getting into college.

3--Kaylee grew up in the poor side of town, but got a scholarship to help with tuition. Her parents had her focus on studies in school while they worked dead-end jobs. That has given her a good work ethic and sense of family pride and responsibility. She enjoys social stuff (hanging out with friends, occassional dates), but focuses on her studies out of her familial obligations.

4/5--The most important relationships she has are with her parents and her close friends. In general, these are good relationships, but have been strained in the past week over a series of arguments. Kaylee attributes it to her moving on-campus, away from her parents and further away from friends. Kaylee is generally seen as a good person who works hard, even if some of her friends tease her a bit, but she's seemed a bit snobbish since moving on-campus.
    She also values her work relationship with Samantha; her really helped her out when she was in a tight bind. She's trying to make friends with the people in the dorms, but it isn't going well and she and her roommate are currently angry at each other.

27. - Top - End - #87

RedKnightGirl

Carol nodded encouragingly as Kaylee offered details, the stress narrative accepted easily, but the Mercurian couldn't keep from cringing when it came to the sweater incident.

You're not that kind of person,” she agreed soothingly. “You're just dealing with a lot. Open-minded as your manager is to take you on, it is a weight to have her be so – verbal in her assumptions. Then throw in a little excitement-sadness of leaving behind friends and family, if you're like most students. Only go do that to live close quarters with a klutz while all the Burnt stuff is going on around the same time?

Carol arched a placatory brow, chin tucked. “Kaylee, in your apron, I'd need a drip IV of coffee to stop me from building a bonfire out of every ugly sweater in a three mile radius! No wonder you were anger.” She shook her head, at ease. “But the good thing is that it's all temporary. Nothing you can't fix. Sugar is brain fuel for study, mom's forgive with every loving call, and today's trashcan sweater becomes tomorrow's invitation for window shopping. Add in some TLC to keep your stresses in check, and you're rainbow right already.

Glancing out at the light daytime traffic flowing by, Carol considered how the Shedite changed the safety of their subterfuge around Burnt territory, and whether the mundane human would be left alone after an entire week of possession. Is she a victim of convenience, or a puppet in a larger play?, the angel wondered. She turned back to the girl triangle.

Actually, do you have a number? I haven't been in the dorms long, so I'm not doing great for friends. Besides, I feel certain people” – Carol stressed the words in tandem to two non-too-subtle head bobs at the dishevelled brunette to her right – “don't fully appreciate knowing future 5 Star News aces. Don't think I didn't notice your mockery back in that bakery, Miss Sherlock. And after all that effort into our pitch!” She folded her arms good-naturedly. “We'll see how you feel when your position as bestie isn't quite so certain any more.

Spoiler: random
    Show

Sorry about resonating random humans. I imagine it must be weird making up backstories for probably-minor non-celestials. I'm not sure how to avoid it with a shedite running around.

Really wanted her # to be on guard. Shedites can't casually ruin lives if we're paying attention.

28. - Top - End - #88

Show
    Not going to risk it, so I'm taking option A.

The rush of adrenaline from finally retaking his celestial form overwhelms all of Inian's other emotions, even his anxiety from the urgent messages from Ramiel. As a being of speed, the sight of cars trailing and the land falling away behind him brings joy to his Heart.

That feeling is short lived. A smoldering ruin greets him when he finally arrives at the high school, dashing his hopes of arriving in time to stop whatever was going to kill Ramiel's girlfriend. But the whirlwind of fire inside him won't let him stop. Inian drops back into his vessel in front of the school and takes a brief moment to consider his options.

Once that second is done, he charges forward into the rubble that used to be the main entrance to the school, yelling as loudly as he can, "Malcolm! Malcolm, goddamnit, where are you!"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

You are able to assume corporeal form under the cover of parked cars and trees. As Inian is nearing the rubble, he hears his phone (now existant again) start to beep with a number of texts.

Spoiler: texts
    Show

<Faked throwing up. Got her to escort me to nurse.>
    <School shooting? Ducking somewhere safe.>
    <Safe for now. Explosion nearby?>

Then, from one of the windows nearby (about ten feet up), you hear a ripple of celestial Noise as a desk crashes through it. From inside you, hear Malcolm yelling.
    "Adrian! Thank God! She's okay. I can't get her to the window, though. Can you get in here and help? It sounds like the shooters are getting closer!"

There is a tree nearby. Nothing to stop a supernally althetic one such as you from entering.

Some of the escapees have heard your yelling and are turning the corner. There'd be some students and teachers who see you vault into the room, but fortunately your face is covered. (And you've got a good alibi as it's physically impossible for Adrian to have made it here from his interview.)

There's also a strange feeling in the air. You almost don't notice it, but once you sense it, it is clear. It is like a discordant note in the Symphony, that started to pull the area towards Hell. You feel the ripples of the Noise from Malcolm's chair-throw and your own assuming corporeal form clashing against the hellish music. It is subtle, but you feel like a Tether to Hell was forming, dispersed only by the Noise of celestial intervention.

Spoiler
    Show
    FYI used three of your Perception rolls: 2 successful Perception checks, 1 failed.
    Also, the creation of a Tether can be disrupted by almost any celestial Noise, from either side of the War. But I tried to write it up nice.

Camael, Redemption

Kaylee actually starts sobbing as the comforting words break through the barrier of her shyness. She pulls out a handkerchef (part of her uniform, it seems, but useful nonetheless). By the end of Carol's words, it is soaked with tears and less pleasant fluids. Kaylee wipes her nose one more time before tossing it in a nearby trashcan.

"Thanks, Carol. Yeah, sure, that sounds really nice."
    She gives you her number, then heads inside.

After she's gone, Mary sidesteps to the trashcan and discretely picks up the item, holding it behind her back as the two of you walk back to the car.

"So, bestie," she says, "I guess your Mecurian senses let you see a real need she had for comfort. If you don't mind the boogers, I think you deserve this."
    She holds out the handkerchef.

After acceptance or refusal of the gift, Mary adds, "So, shall we check out the Burnt?"

Spoiler: context
    Show

A handkerchef soaked with tears of repentance -- such as Kaylee lamenting her shedite-influenced deeds--gives an invocation bonus to Metanoia. Quite a prize for a Servitor of Redemption.

30. - Top - End - #90

"Oh, thank the Lord." Inian sags with relief, but recovers himself quickly and vaults into the room.

"I need you to tell me what happened. Did you see who did this, and do you know if anyone else is still in the school?" he asks without preamble, and adds whispering to Ramiel. "I think there's Demons in the area, powerful ones since they tried to create a Tether. We've already made Noise, so I'm going to Sing to try to get a leg up if they find us. How quickly can you contact Jerechial?"

While he waits for Ramiel's reply, Inian summons up his Essence again and quietly begins to Sing.

Spoiler
    Show
    Trying to use the Corporeal Song of Form with one Essence. TN 7

(3d6)[1][5][4](10)

I have a quote!
    I like you.