New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Astarieth, Judgement

Carl smiles at the question, seemingly pleased with his tenant's questions.

"Nah, not likely. Some cops might want a cut if they think they can pin something on you, but they usually stay away from here unless they're after the Burnt or on a job for the Burnt.
    Well, one word of advice: if a guy with a burn scar-but, like, fancy, almost like a tattoo--on his cheek or temple shows up, treat them with respect.

"Anyway, good luck. Call me if something breaks."

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show

Although what he says isn't as extreme as he states, it's close. Several cops are being paid off in one way or another (cash, drugs, girls, blackmail), but some good/clean ones are trying to shut down the Burnt. It's dicey.

For the decorative scarring: that is the mark of higher-leadership in the Burnt. The Truth reveals that some leaders--mostly demons who don't want to mar their vessel--don't have it, but most of the leadership does. Not all are in-the-know about the War, but they at least know something strange is up, and they're all horrible people in one way or another. Disrespecting them will likely lead to firery retribution (or a good fight, since you are stronger than the average human.)

EDIT: also, while he'll probably fix important stuff that's broken, he might be slow about it and won't care about flickering lights, a dripping faucet, or a leaky toilet, or other "stupid stuff they should just deal with themselves", as he's said before to tenants.

Spoiler: OOC/for DoctorFaustus
    Show
    I'm thinking up a client to come by, but realize Inian might be contacting you first. Since this is an extra weekend update, I"ll wait on the client until Monday to let y'all chat.

Camael, Redemption

Brittany looks a little uncertain for a moment. Carol perhaps shares the glance, as her Resonance also fails. Neither one is used to their read failing, but Brittany looks to shake it off as bad luck. Besides, a mortal who can resist being charmed is usually of more value once they are finally netted.

She smiles flirtatiously at Carol's comments, while the man again rolls his eyes dramatically. But her smile grows more devious and perhaps sincere as the questions come. The man looks slightly bored.

Brittany speaks first. "No recording us and no video, but I don't mind you taking notes." She also writes down a number on a bar napkin and hands it over. "And in case you have further questions or... anything else."

"Well, I worked the streets for a while, doing small jobs for people, usually stressed businessmen, bored husbands, or crooked cops. Helped them relax. But when the new, ahem, club started up, I was able to organize some of my other workers and get us all in with better pay and benefits."

The man laughs, his response eschewing the side-talk Carol and Brittany are using. "Yeah, she was a whore, and now she's a pimp. As for me, my buddy is a high-ranking dude, so I get to toy around and do what I want. It's fun.
    As for others, well, people gotta work, right, and not much business as easy as ours. And we get discounts on beer and drugs."

As he's talking, Brittany is staring at him livid with rage. He laughs at her, then says, "Cool it, Brittany. You can have her for all I care, but I at least get to steal a little bit of your thunder." He pirouttes towards Carol, does a faux-gentlemanly bow with a removal of his pretend hat, and moves to kiss your hand.
    "Been fun meeting you. Look out for that whore's fangs."
    The he starts to move on, chuckling.

Spoiler: Resonance failed
    Show

Your Resonance on her failed, so you can't do it (either usage) again on her for at least one hour. You can use it on the man or someone else, still.

Also, rolling Perception for you. If it's a success, I'll note what you notice
    (3d6)[1][2][6](9)

And for an NPC: (3d6)[3][3][2](8)

Carol notices that, after the kiss (accepted or rejected) ,his hand quite deftly moves into purse and retrieves her wallet as he walks pass her to leave.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-04-18 at 09:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #122
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inian nods and leaves through the window, pausing for a second on the sill to says, "Ramiel, I...I am sorry about how this turned out. Good luck."

He lands with a thump and takes off running away from the school. While in motion, he shucks off his shirt and the balaclava and wraps the two together into a bundle. Inian starts off taking random turns as quickly as he can, but after the second or third he's slowed down to the most casual jog he can manage. He keeps that pace for the next several minutes before slowing to a stop once he feels he's put enough distance between himself and the school.

As he comes to a halt, Inian pulls out his cellphone and starts sending messages to the other Angels.

<Astarieth, Ramiel might need a lawyer. Got any contacts in the area?>

<Jerechiel, I left the school. At the corner of 12th and Carman Crest with no wheels. Can I get a pickup?>
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2020-04-19 at 12:07 AM.
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

3. - Top - End - #123
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Tommy waves Carl off, then waits. Shortly after, his phone *bings* with in an incoming text. When he gets the message, a huge scowl crosses his face. He sputters with rage for a moment, but business first.

To Malcolm: <Lawyer's looking out for you. Text this number. Do what she says.>
    <<contact attached: Joanna Honeycutt>>

Then Joanna:

<Keep an eye out for a kid named Malcolm. He's a good one. Might call you. This might be his first time.>

Joanna's been a public defender so he's confident she can coach Malcolm out of doing anything stupid. For example, saying anything other than the word 'lawyer.'

Then Tommy turns back, and the rage comes back as he tries to figure out how to cover his role without lying. Best not to text. He calls Angel, and before the Ofanim even finishes his greeting Tommy interrupts him:

"Dumb*** use some *** **** discipline on the text. Get your **** straight then come tell me what happened or tell me where to meet you. Gotcha boy covered."

He thinks, briefly, about texting the Triad, but realizes he doesn't know enough to give a complete report. No sense in getting them spun up without solid information.

He waits for instructions from Inian, or for his next customer.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-19 at 01:25 PM.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler: Jeen, RE: Your style
    Show
    I genuinely like that you're so keen to try appreciating everyone's idea that you give us different little advantages. So, like making Faust intimidating because he's an angel of War, or giving me bits of the Helltongue for the Redemption approach. That makes things more special imo. I also really like that you put effort into thinking up backstories for the NPCs to keep the Mercurian resonance fun, and that there's a much more nuanced world going on than just 'Demons bad, angels good'. Angel politics are neat. This is before we even get into your putting good effort into consistent updates when you realistically can. So I like your style a lot.

Spoiler: summary
    Show

a)- mildly freak out over why a Seraphim of Judgement is texting, but focus on what I'm doing instead of checking details. Neat that we're contacting each other though.

b)- take details about what I think is necessary to help the Tether is broad strokes

c)- try to fast talk the mohawk guy into giving back the wallet and apologize to brittany

d)- attempt to supernaturally charm Brittany, through her hand on my shoulder.

e)- attempt to persuade Brittany to continue the interview, through my words.

Saving the newfound number and pocketing the napkin absent-mindedly, Carol's fingers flew effortlessly as the Fire demon was noted as Head of the Leisure Division. The type of clientele she kept, and how a certain club provided a better quality of life for Brittany and those working under her, was added. A notification popped up annoyingly. The briefest glance revealed Tommy S was the texter, as the Mercurian exclusively saved mundane names. Confused about why a Seraphim of Judgement would ever actually text her, especially so soon, she uneasily swiped the notification away. The holiest of holiest rarely ever contacted new contacts lightly, let alone those that typically lead celestial investigations. It didn't help that Dominic was often hostile to Metanoia. A man's laugh broke her out of her thoughts, and she winched when he spoke so harshly about Brittany.

Nodding impassively, Carol typed up a threadbare profile on the man with a mohawk and his additions. Okay, there's a potential financial problem here, in addition to whatever housing issues already exist. Self-destructive habits – so rehabilitation is a potential concern? Easy in for Met, maybe. Fixing this Tether, really helping the souls that are suffering through all this, means a multilevel approach. That little bakery won't cut it. Still, doable.

Carol giggled good-naturedly from her seat when he kissed her hand as a smokescreen to pilfer her wallet. Taking her cue from his behaviour, her non-kissed hand was daintily placed across her heart in faux-demureness. “Ahem, would a kind gentleman return yonder wallet first? Let alone soothe a fair maiden's heart.” She tilted her head gently at an angry Brittany, the look at the unnamed rogue expectant but kindly. “Surely his manners are so refined, his grace too effortless, to leave before revealing himself that grand?

Carol went silent to see what the mysterious mocking man decided he wanted to do. Knowing the hand on her shoulder was likely left there so the fallen celestial would get more opportunities for supernatural attack – the Mercurian rallied her will to pulse feelings of hope and trust and endearment into Brittany. She would need it after the verbal cruelty. Waiting until the well-connected man left, the angel reached up and squeezed the Impudite's hand reassuringly then.

It would have been easy to stir the seductress against the departed man, and twirl details about the Fire Tether out of her through stoking spite. They obviously resented each other on some level. But dividing celestials wasn't going to bring peace any faster, and it wasn't the Redemption way. Placing her phone face down on the table momentarily, she fixed the other red-head with an calm gaze.

They say the best kind of revenge is a life well lived,” Carol began gently. “Him trying to belittle one of the most storied and resilient occupations in the world, let alone when you've clearly earned your place, means you're doing so well others have little to really throw at you. At worst, you're a self-sufficient and motivated woman in a challenging environment. At best, you're an entrepreneur protecting novices in her field. You've already shown you have the self-restraint and tact of a businesswoman, Brittany.

Carol paused. “And if you're willing, I'd love to hear more about that businesswoman's feelings and opinions on things local and popular. Interested?

Spoiler: Mercurian Resonance, Fast Talk on The Guy, Charm on Brittany
    Show

1) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on The Guy.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[3]
    (1d6)[4]

Check Digit: (1d6+2)[7]
    Mercurian attempt during the kiss for the +2, please.

2) Fast Talk the Guy. Hoping he'll give back the wallet and apologize to Brittany before going.

Target Number 12.

(1d6)[4]
    (1d6)[5]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[12]

3) Charm Resonance / Will on Brittany.

Target Number 12.
    (1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[3]

Check Digit: (1d6+2)[5]
    Getting it from the hand on the shoulder.

5. - Top - End - #125
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Just a quick post; full IC during normal hours Monday

Spoiler: Resonance for Camael
    Show

[i]I'll do the rest of the update on Monday, but I wrote this up after getting interested tonight, so I'll go ahead and post it to see the Will roll below.

At first I was going to say "no using that on Brittany since the first Resonance failed", but upon re-reading I see I wrote the Mecurian as an Attunement power only, not as an enhancement to your Resonance. (It differed from Choir to Choir.) So I'm cool with that.
    Rolling her Will to resist: (3d6)[4][3][6](13)

As for the man... this would be a lot harder to write if not that you already knew Flavius was a demon, so just learning his name means I don't have to obfuscate.

1) He's not as confident as he seems, but he knows he's better (either by natural abilities or connections) than most he's around and thus safe to act confident. He's wary about ticking off those he knows are more powerful.
    2) Most others see him like a 'court jester' of the gang, but one with the ability to enact revenge, either through his friends or his persuasiveness. Those who cross him regret it.
    3) He's known as Flavius. People mock him for it and his flamboyent style, but he rolls with it (and is forgiving as long as they don't really act against him.) His hobbies include petty theft, mocking others, and chilling with his buddies with booze or weed, sometimes harder drugs. In the gang, he's sorta an unofficial leader, but mostly operates under Trip.
    4/5) His relationship web is... tense. He has the favor of his boss and has gotten some praise from Belial, but, as they don't get along, it's a tense balance to stay alive. But this boss is tolerant of it and glad about Flavius' plans, so willing to give him a chance. He has a sincere friendship and love for Trip -- at least, insofar as demons' selfishness allows such -- and would sacrifice a lot for him. He resents and tries to subtly undermine the demons opposed to Trip, such as Brittany, and hates the leader of the Burnt. His mortal pawns are also important to him, but only as tools: especially the police officers he blackmails via incriminating photos of them and him.
    6) Flavius was a low-ranking demon of little importance who almost had no chance of getting to earth. But he managed to steal a bit of useful info and concocted a plan related to Pentagon. His boss liked the idea and his spunk, so he got a vessel and stationed here about a hundred years ago. He managed to befriend Trip (first as a con, but later sincerely) and engratiate himself with Fire. Fought (indirectly) during the 'Dot-Com War' and got some more respect from Fire and The War, and helped form the Tether to Fire. So Step One is done. But he's hoping the plan pays off. If it doesn't, he knows that he and Trip will probably never see each other again even if they aren't destroyed.

6. - Top - End - #126

Inian jerks his phone away from his ear at the other Angel's warm and friendly greeting and bites back a harsh reply. He takes a deep breath and says, "Alright. I'm sorry, I'll try to be better in the future. And thank you for looking out for R...Malcolm."

He looks up and down the street for any approaching cars before continuing. "I already messaged Jeremiah to try to get a ride somewhere. Malcolm called him to try to get help dealing with the..situation before I arrived so I was hoping it wouldn't be too much of a detour. Don't want to say what the situation was over the phone, but it's definitely going to make the news."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

7. - Top - End - #127

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Show
    (1d6)[2](1d6)[2] Check digit (1d6)[2] (+2 TN Overkill, -2 phone call)

Note, editing the post after the resonance roll to determine if he actually knows what happened. (4+ will give him a clue without asking)...

EDIT: Doh! learned nothing.

Tommy hears Angel choke down a reply in kind, and smiles a bit. As classy a response as one can ever hope for, and ringing with truth, even if the 'sorry' wasn't the first thing that came to mind... But unfortunately Tommy couldn't hear what really happened. He's still shooting in the dark - a situation that TWO angels working together couldn't keep down is a big deal.

"Word. I'll check the news. Make sure the bigwigs know ASAP so they can get ahead of it. Don't want anybody else spinning the story. Lemme know if you want me to work anything."

Then he texts the Triad:
    <Heads up, something big went down. Should be hitting the news soon. War team is tracking it, don't know if anyone else knows. More to follow.> New team, new superiors. Hopefully they're the kind that focuses more on dealing with the problem than fixing blame for it.

He'll have to leave Carol in the dark - doesn't feel comfortable calling her without knowing her situation. He starts to pull up the local news channels on his phone, trying to find out something while he waits for a client, or a shakedown, or another call for help.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-20 at 11:29 AM.

8. - Top - End - #128
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian

Jerechial sends a quick response. "En route".

Shortly after his exchange with Astarieth, a beat-up but strong-looking dark grey pick-up truck pulls up. Roman is driving, and Jerechial is in the backseat. He motions for you to get in, and you see both a shotgun and a broadsword near his feet.

After Inian fills him in on what happened, he lets out a heavy sigh. "Well, that's not good, but it sounds like you two settled things as best we can. I'm glad you and him stopped the Tether. We don't need another new infernal one in town.

"Sorry. Melektas sent me some info. That diner fast-food place... Tether to Gluttony now. Melektas is doing more intel now." He rubs his head like he has a headache.
    "Well, Ramiel has a good head. Not much experience, but it sounds like he can keep things together. He sent me a short message saying things're stable. So, where can we drop you off at? But Astarieth wanted us to drop by first."

Astarieth, Judgement

A message from Ramiel comes quickly: "Thanks. Medics treating me and gf for injury now."

In the meantime, the news is reporting a school shooting at Ramiel's school. It's over now, and apparently the shooters mostly killed each other by misusing some chemical explosives. But several deaths and many more wounded. Many are blaming it on the cliques and bullying within the school.

Astarieth & Inian

Before any clients show up, the beat-up truck deposits Inian and Jerechial. Soon all three are caught up on what happened, with Jerechial eager to get back to his Tether should more coordination be needed.

Camael, Redemption

Spoiler: In case you missed it
    Show
    Resonance is up a few posts

The man's sarcastic smirk becomes more geniune when Carol mentions the wallet. "Oh, you noticed? Neat." He flips through it a moment, taking out a bill of smaller value. "Just let me cover that beer I was gonna bring you. Here ya go." He tosses it to the ground near you, a bit of meanness coming to his face and tone. "If you gonna hang with whores, might as well crawl on the floor for money. Right, Brittany?"
    And, with that, Flavius departs to another corner of the bar.

Brittany bends down to pick up the wallet and places it in front of Carol, a somewhat dreamy and more sincerely pleasant expression on her face. Charmed.

"He is a pathetic worm, yeah, resents me. And, yeah, let's talk more. The Burnt are heading up in town. Cops, crime, money, in our pocket. Sure, the tech industry stays independent and the wealtheir folk have their own crime we don't touch much. That's Rourke's domain. But we got our stronghold here and the police, and any other authorities, can't really touch us." She talks a deep drag of her cigarette. "Isn't fire lovely? Just use it 'til it's all burnt away, get what you want, toss away the trash. That's our policy. Beautiful, no?"

"So, um, anything else, darling? Or did you wanna ditch that stupid uni life and actually join? I understand if not as one of my girls, but I could you get in in other positions."

9. - Top - End - #129

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

When the truck shows up, he knows there's trouble - he was half expecting Adrian to go about his other business or keep with the War team. He's even more intimidated when the seneschal steps out. But, regardless, he's happy to see them.

Tommy warns Adrian "With your permission, I'm gonna try to listen to the Symphony while you talk and see if it tells me any more details." Then he listens to the report attentively with his hand clapped on Adrian's shoulder, hoping that the Symphony can provide a little bit more information than Adrian's subjective perception.

Show
    (1d6)[6](1d6)[6] Check Digit (1d6)[5] +4.

PRE roll - @Jeen, man, you ain't kiddin' about wanting to use my resonance on everything....

POST roll - pretty happy to see a 5 check digit....

After hearing the report, he checks his notebook - a little black moleskine fastidiously recorded in angelic script. "I'm tracking three known Shedim in town - Game, Fire, and Factions. I'll bet you a dollar this one's Factions, else it's a new actor. Seems to me like a school shooting is a big, risky move. They took a risk and it didn't pan out."

He turns to Jeremiah - "Sir, I let the triad know something happened already. I can finish the report now. What are you thinking for next actions? Let the investigation play out or try and go after the shedim?"

After the seneschal leaves, Tommy turns to Adrian - "Glad to see you, man. You OK? I was thinking 'bout heading up to the Gravel pits tonight. You down for that?"
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-21 at 02:52 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130

RedKnightGirl

Carol bore the theft and cruelty patiently, the quickest mask she could fathom for her sympathy. The wallet slapped the floor without even a twitch. Before the escort surprisingly picked up the wallet on her behalf, the Mercuian had already forgiven the insinuations. The Symphony had revealed Flavius in near entirety. With it, she saw the decency embedded within him, and knew it could be inspired into greater compassion. When we know all, we forgive all. This brazenness is his way of protecting what he loves. She sighed all the same.

Mutely picking up her phone, Carol noted Brittany's words about the Burnt with a secretarial diligence, never pausing nor interrupting. Then the lower level gang leader drew on a cigarette. The would-be journalist stopped and stared as the woman suddenly waxed poetic policy, it sounding like a philosophy with hidden undertones somewhere between a phoenix and the Faustian. Unable to think of anything as adequately profound, she nodded dumbfounded and typed the quote verbatim.

Brittany continued onwards, more practically. Even knowing the supernatural charm was doing the heavy lifting for her, Carol found herself trusting the Impudite a little more herself.

I – want to learn as much as I can about the Burnt, honestly. I'm not a real journalist, not yet, but there's a lot of people here that deserve to have their stories told. Deserve to be lauded for turning tragedy into triumph. You and your girls are a perfect example of that; coming together in difficult circumstance for a better quality of life. Enduring the burns of naysayers and fanning the flames of friendship and ingenuity.” She paused. “Learning how you and your club decides who joins and how would be ideal. Let alone the different positions you – uh, offer?

Peeking at the time, Carol quickly fired off a single letter text to her friend outside.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth and Inian

Show
    You get a clear picture of what Inian saw and heard. And confirmation that the shedite is of Factions: it, along with the other demon of Factions, has been working hard for weeks to muster the cliques and factions, gear up attitudes and anger, to cause this shooting. And to time it not too long after the Tether to Fire formed.

And they indeed didn't know Malcolm was an angel, and are scared of War being present. The shedite's current plans are fueled mostly by anger and might change, but the plan is to corrup Malcolm's girlfriend and parents so that they all wind up in hell.

Jereciah scrowls.
    "Factions. One thing in our favor is that Gaspariel and Medim still have a score to settle with them, so we can count on them helping. I'm worried about Ramiel. Kid's old, but... well, he only got his second Ethereal Force about 14 years ago. He's basically still a kid, and played human his whole existence."

"If we could kill the shedim, that'd be great, but finding it won't be easy. You're really willing to help, Astarieth? That's good news. The Triad usually says their duty is angels, though of course Rezzial will help if we ask. He is malakim, after all.

"For next moves, Factions largely lost this battle. Good job, Inian. But Ramiel's now a target, and there's that artist-kid at the school, too, whatever's up with him. I'll get Stone to help on monitoring the school, see if we can track down the demons. And I'll help fight any demon you find, but my orders right now are to let you new-comers handle things. Lawrence is trusting Yves and Gabriel about you all mattering.

"For now, I'll head back to the Howlitzer. If you have any sense of how to look into the school, feel free, but your Roles aren't the best for it. None of ours are, really. Astarieth, this is a good set-up here you got; might give good intel on the Burnt. Sorry I don't have more to say."

---

With that, the Seneschal heads off. Roman says he'll call another one of the group to pick up Adrian and drop him off wherever his car is.

Camael, Redemption

"The Burnt... a fantastic organization, as gangs go. We're cruel. We're burn someone to death if they cross us, or burn their family." The smile on her lips, and look of fancy towards her cigarette at that show Camael that Redemption may be difficult for this one. "But we treat our people well, as long as they're loyal. Pay. Housing. Drugs or girls, if they want it. Sure, most of the needs for housing and pay are due to lost jobs and homes, but it's not like the arson was our fault, right?" She chuckles darkly again.

"As for joining, people who need work know we can provide it. Deliver a package. Back up a guy delivering a message. Sell some stuff on a corner. Simple jobs for simpletons. Those with more skill can do more.
    Hmm... the university is... difficult territory for us. Some of the faculty make it hard for us. But if you'd like to make some money on the side, I could give you some product to push. Liberal airheads like some fun in the evening, right? Our usual cut is 90% for new employees, but I'll let you have 20. Or you could join my girls. Or be one of my toys, or one for other leaders. Not all of us care for the pleasures of the flesh, but some make a pretty penny just being pretty."

She looks around, a mix of playful conspiratory and real. "There are better jobs, but your potential would have to be vetted. See if you can handle the heat. Are you a religious type?"

12. - Top - End - #132

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Show
    The shedite's current plans are fueled mostly by anger and might change, but the plan is to corrupt Malcolm's girlfriend and parents so that they all wind up in hell.

"If we could kill the shedim, that'd be great, but finding it won't be easy. You're really willing to help, Astarieth? That's good news. The Triad usually says their duty is angels, though of course Rezzial will help if we ask. He is malakim, after all.
    "My mandate's to root out corruption and to investigate the Prophecy." He shrugs and gestures at the phone, still playing breaking news alerts. "I think that counts."

"I can confirm that the Shedim was from Factions and that it intends, at least for now, to go after Malcolm's girl and family."

"Lemme know the plan when you got it. I'm gonna stay posted up here for now."
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-21 at 05:49 PM.

13. - Top - End - #133

Inian rubs at his head in annoyance. "Frankly, I've got nothing about how I could look into the school and how the Shedite might've sunk its fangs into those poor kids. I'm going to try to get in contact with Jason Mathers as soon as I can to try and make sure he stays stable, but I agree our best bet for surveillance there is probably going to be Gaspariel. Don't know how long they would want to be away from their camp though."

He stands up and starts pacing up and down Astarieth's office. "We may need to get a Soldier to back up Ramiel if we can. Don't know if he'll be able to protect his family and Jennifer at the same time, especially with a Role that requires him to be away from them seven or eight hours out of the day. Plus I'm going to have to give him lessons so he doesn't make a whole mess of noise every time he fights a Mortal."

"Ah, whatever," he says as he shakes his head. "Right now I just need to get back to my car so it doesn't get towed. Or worse, stolen. As for the gravel pits, I'm guessing not. Got some gig work lined up and I think it starts tonight. Tell me what time you're planning on heading there and I'll text you if I can make it."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #134

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Quote Originally Posted by DoctorFaust View Post
    He stands up and starts pacing up and down Astarieth's office. "We may need to get a Soldier to back up Ramiel if we can. Don't know if he'll be able to protect his family and Jennifer at the same time, especially with a Role that requires him to be away from them seven or eight hours out of the day. Plus I'm going to have to give him lessons so he doesn't make a whole mess of noise every time he fights a Mortal."
    "I ain't got a Soldier to give you. Gonna have to call for help on that one. But the best way to protect Malcolm is to kill the shedim, and that means we use Malcolm, his girlfriend, and his family as bait to lure the demon into a trap. Maybe we can ask that Kyriotate of stone to possess a garden gnome and post up in the front yard. But seriously, that Kyriotate might be able to spare a bird or two. Then we get a team together to pile on when the demon makes a move."
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-22 at 01:58 AM.

15. - Top - End - #135

RedKnightGirl

Exclamation Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

When the gang leader began talking again, Carol quickly adopted her typing, in what felt a predictable rhythm. She faltered immediately when Brittany mentioned torching people. A heavy stone settled in her gut when she wondered if they were at least deceased before the immolation. Slowly she lowered the handheld to the scarred table, as serious a youthful pout as she could muster coming together, eyeing the celestial on the other side with an unerring certainty.

Brittany, you want me to be your saleswoman, I will. You think you can settle for me as a bed warmer, you can try. But it sounds like the Burnt aren't just some convenient organisation you joined for better benefits. Your connection to flame is more than mere policy. 'Get what you want, toss away the trash' – that's barely the beginning, isn't it? This is an actual way of life to you. A genuine love between you and fire. Almost a religious experience.” She leaned forward. “I want in. What would get me one of those better jobs?

16. - Top - End - #136
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian and Astarieth

Before leaving Jerechial notes, "Gaspariel'll be willing to. And, Tommy... Ramiel won't like using them as bait, but we can't guard them 24/7. But if Gaspariel can watch them and see when one is possessed... with that, we could get him. I'll work on it with Gaspariel. Maybe Melektas can, too. You two willing to be on call should we set up a killroom at my bar?"

---

Soon after, another person drives up and, asking no questions beyond where Inian needs to go, picks him up and drops him off. Inian's car is untouched.

In the meantime, Jerechial has sent Inian the home address of Jason Mather, courtesy of some snooping Judgement did. No promises he's home, but the high school is obviously closed for the rest of the day.
    He also sends Inian, Astarieth, and Ramiel notes that Gaspariel will have birds soon watching Ramiel's parents and girlfriend, and some of Soldiers of Stone and The Sword will be ready to knockout a host once found.

---

A bit after everyone is gone, a young woman walks in. She's dressed like an office professional in a nice blouse and middle-length skirt, with glasses and short-cut blond hair. Not the usual cliente, and she looks nervous like she doesn't quite know what she's doing. With one arm nervously rubbing the other, she starts to speak. She sounds on the edge of crying.

"Hi, um... I think I need a loan. Five thousand. I'm sorry, but I haven't been to a place like this before. How does it work?"

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

Sorry for any temporal confusion with a three-way conversation between PCs and NPC. Tried to get it smooth and then you each to your own activities.

Camael, Redemption

Brittany smiles, a mix of warmth and, kind of hard to explain, but darkneess almost fits. A mix of seductress and someone who might just decide to burn or knif

"It is. To be honest, I didn't have a choice about being a lowly streetwalker. Nor to be one of the Burnt. Everyone is fuel for the fire, but some are chaff and some are to manage the flames. The Burnt, the real leaders of the Burnt, are the latter. We are Fire. You want in?"

She leans in close, drawing not a few leers and racy remarks from the local men. But then her phone beeps and draws her out of her revelry. She opens it and frowns as she reads a message.

"Garrus... #!$!. Sorry, love, but I gotta run. The bossman needs me to see a jerk named Gary about something. But, seriously, let's chat, or more, later. I'll find you something to test you." She moves to grab your phone; if allowed, she enters her contact info in with your notes. "Call me. I should be free in about an hour. ...actually, a group of us are going to the Gravel Pits tonight. One of our men are fighting there tonight. Might have a private party afterwards and you can really see fire work. Call it a date?"
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-04-22 at 12:18 PM.

17. - Top - End - #137

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

You two willing to be on call should we set up a killroom at my bar?"
    "I'm in."

A bit after everyone is gone, a young woman walks in. She's dressed like an office professional in a nice blouse and middle-length skirt, with glasses and short-cut blond hair. Not the usual cliente, and she looks nervous like she doesn't quite know what she's doing. With one arm nervously rubbing the other, she starts to speak. She sounds on the edge of crying.

"Hi, um... I think I need a loan. Five thousand. I'm sorry, but I haven't been to a place like this before. How does it work?"
    Tommy rises from his desk and offers the woman his handshake, then points her to a chair. "Welcome, ma'am. Tommy Rodriguez. Good to meet you."

"My process is pretty simple. I offer small, short term, fixed repayment emergency loans for people in need of money quickly. I ask you a few a questions. Then I assess your ability and willingness to repay the loan. Based on that assessment, I'll decide whether or not to offer you a loan and we agree on the timeline and amount of the repayment.

It's okay if you decline to answer some of the questions, but that will go down into my assessment of the risk of the loan.

Please be honest and answer my questions truthfully - if I don't have the information or don't trust the information that will affect my decision to offer the loan and the terms."

He delivers the above in a calm, professional tone, hoping to ease some of the woman's discomfort.

"Are you comfortable with that process and would you like to proceed?"

Spoiler: Resonance Roll and interview questions
    Show
    Resonance: (1d6)[3](1d6)[4] Check digit: (1d6)[4] +4 if she accepts his handshake, +3 otherwise (proximity).

Tommy's questions follow, and some clues as to what he's looking for with the resonance. I've marked the information that's just administrative for him, feel free to skip over it. The bolded questions are the ones where he expects the most useful information for his purposes.

(1) "What is your name, a phone number where I can reach you, and an address where I can locate you?"
    - Lies here will clue him into the person. Mostly this is just admin info. Curious if she gives him a home/work/neutral address, big clue into the person. Half expects people to be hesitant about offering the address.

(2) "How do you make your money? About how much money do you make per month? Is this a steady paycheck?"
    - Again, normal admin information, provides clues into the person.

(3) "When do you need the loan, and how long do you think it will take you to repay it?"
    - Admin info

(4) "Why do you need a loan?"
    - Here's the big question that will provide insight into the situation

OPTIONAL (5) "Do you plan to use this money to do anything illegal?"
    - Tommy doesn't always ask this question - often the answer is implied by 4. But if the person is in a talking mood and he doesn't think the person will take offense, he might ask.

(6) "Can you offer anything as security for the loan?"
    - Admin issue, also assesses the person's condition.

(7) "Are you willing to authorize me to run a credit check? If so, please provide me your social security number."
    - See how they respond.

(8) "Are you in any danger to yourself, your income, or legal action?"
    - Dead people and incarcerated people are hard to collect from. Also provides additional context."

(9) "Is there anything else you can think of that can affect your ability to repay this loan?"
    - The catch all question in case he missed anything.

(10) "How will you notify me if your situation or your ability to repay the loan changes?"
    - Check for signs of deceit/if they intend to take the money and run.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-23 at 01:46 PM.

18. - Top - End - #138

RedKnightGirl

Post Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Show
    Nothing really happens. Happiness. Sent three texts, one to Mary first saying I'll delay two minutes so hopefully no one sees me hop into her car. Sent the below texts to the other players after. Then left after a two minute delay, presuming everything went well.

Spoiler: text to Asterieth/Tommy
    Show

A text to the Seraphim read afterwards, 'Hi Tom. This is Carol. The nun's friend? Not sure if you texted the wrong number, but I'm good. Doing mundane stuff. Hope you're well.'

Spoiler: text to Adrian/Inian
    Show

'Adrian, hey, it's Carol. Hope you're good! Just a heads up: met someone that invited me to the Gravel Pits tonight. Details in an hour or two. Will share if you want. How's your day been?'

Gravel Pits. Private party.” Her lips rounded into an easy smile. “Fireworks. It's a date.

Carol watched the Burnt gang leader leave, coolly enraptured. Only when she was out of sight did the student grin down at her phone at the entry by experienced hands.

Yes!” she quietly exclaimed to herself.

Picking herself out of the chair only to then stick herself on a stool nearer the door, Carol looked back to her phone. A text to Mary was sent after, 'Did it! Why did you never tell me about Brittany? Delaying so she doesn't see me hop in. Be out in two!' Blithely, she glanced over the text sent by the Seraph so trusted by Dominic that he wasn't chained to a Triad, only to scratch her head confusedly. There were actually two texts. As easy-going a servitor of Judgement as he appeared so far, she still needed a quick reread to confirm there wasn't so much as a hint of accusation or attack in Astareith's words. Both were as mundane as any ever sent a human

It's a miracle,” she muttered to herself, amused.

A text to the Seraphim read afterwards, 'Hi Tom. Carol here. The nun's friend? Not sure if you texted the wrong number, but I'm good. Doing mundane stuff. Hope you're well.'

Only after Carol was certain she hadn't incriminated herself did she finally hit send, and felt her shoulders unbunch afterwards. Her grin reappeared. Various bottles that lined the back of the bar wall were eyed with non-committal cheer, more drawn to the canned beers, gin and other tonics spotted through a mini fridge's clear door behind the bartender. She looked down at her phone one last time, reaffirmed the contact information wasn't a fever dream, and stood up excitedly one last time. A final text was punched out quickly.

'Adrian, hey, it's Carol. Hope you're good! Just a heads up: met someone that invited me to the Gravel Pits tonight. Details in an hour or two. Will share if you want. How's your day been?'

Presuming all went well, Carol left afterwards to get in Mary's car.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-04-23 at 02:15 PM.

19. - Top - End - #139

Inian and Astarieth"You two willing to be on call should we set up a killroom at my bar?"

---

Soon after, another person drives up and, asking no questions beyond where Inian needs to go, picks him up and drops him off. Inian's car is untouched.

In the meantime, Jerechial has sent Inian the home address of Jason Mather, courtesy of some snooping Judgement did. No promises he's home, but the high school is obviously closed for the rest of the day.
    He also sends Inian, Astarieth, and Ramiel notes that Gaspariel will have birds soon watching Ramiel's parents and girlfriend, and some of Soldiers of Stone and The Sword will be ready to knockout a host once found.
    "Yes, of course. I'm more than happy to help take that scumbag down."

---

After the end of the conversation with Astarieth and Jerechial, Inian gets in the car and gives directions back to the field where he abandoned his car. He sits around and lets it idle for a bit while he replies to texts and changes into a fresh shirt.

>Carol, sup. Been a real ****ing day. Tell you about it if we meet at the pits. Got work lined up, IDK when it'll end. Text me the details and I'll try to meet you there. Tommy might be as well.

Once he has that sent, Inian guns his car and starts the drive back into town towards Jason Mather's house.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

11:00 AM

Camael, Redemption

Brittany smiles warmly, if a bit predatorial, before heading out the front door. Flavius follows her out as well.

---

Once back in the car, Mary has a look of concern. "Carol, you okay? You met Brinniah? What do you think of her? You sure she didn't get you--she is an Impudite. And I saw Flavius leaving the bar after her..."
    It's obvious that Mary's opinion of Brittany is rather negative.

Inian, War

The servant or Soldier bids Inian well and drives off. He took a few extra turns on the way there and looks like he's doing the same on the way back. Whoever he is, he seems a valuable and skilled member of Jerechial's team.

During the drive, the local radio is talking about the school shooting. The press is estimating at least thirty dead and a hundred wounded, mostly students, though keeping quiet about the exact number of shooters. But it also states that most students have been sent home to their parents.

The Mathers residence looks like a fairly normal middle-class two-story house. Two cars are parked in the driveway.

Astarieth, Judgement

"Yeah... it sounds okay. I'm Sarah Thompson. My number's ###-#### and live at ###."

Spoiler
    Show
    She's being honest, except that she's not quite okay with the situation but feels like this is her best bet at quietly getting a loan. That is her personal cell and home address.

"I'm a clerk at a bank. Make about 3000 -- I brought a pay stub -- but my husband makes about the same amount. He's at another bank. It's steady work."

"Um... if possible, I really need the money today. I-Is that a problem? We should be able to repay it in a few months. I know some stuff about loans from where I work, so I was hoping maybe $400 or $500 a month. Normally I'd have this money, but we had some car repairs come up recently."

Spoiler
    Show
    All true, and you perceive their actual income amounts. Things are tight at the moment between the mortgage, car payments, and her daughter's allowance, but she feels she can pay 400-600 a month, mainly by cutting into the allowance.

"Why? Do you really need to know? Uh... Well, it's part of why I'm here, but I'd rather not say. There's a reason I don't want to go to the bank I work at."

Spoiler
    Show
    All true. She's worried about rumors about why she needs an urgent loan if her or her husband take it out where they work.

Also, I did a Reaction roll and you failed. Otherwise, she'd be a bit more forthcoming.

"Illegal!? No. I'm just paying somebody."

Spoiler
    Show
    Sort of true. She's not doing anything illegal, but it's in response to illegal extortion on her daughter, Emma. Some lewd photos that will ruin her reputation, and possibly ascribe blame for the shooting, will be publicized if she doesn't pay another student 5000. Basically, her daughter was sorta dating one of the shooters, but laughed at him and sent him photos of her in intimate actions with an older thug-looking man.

The extortioner is a friend of one of the shooters who saw the photo. He's saying he'll publicize it and say part of the reason his friend snapped was this "popular mean girl" playing with his feelings. The 5000 is what he said he'd need to pay for the car he really wants.

"...it's... no, no danger."

Spoiler
    Show
    She's not completely sure; if the pictures go public, it might hurt her at her job, especially amongst fellow parents. And she's not sure if her daughter might get sued.
    Even without Resonance, her tone says she's not completely sure.

"I can repay. And, yes, I'll tell you if I can't."

Spoiler
    Show
    Both true for #9 and #10. Well, with the same caveat as above that, if she gets fired for her daughter's action or gets legal fees, things could change. She's not meaning to lie, but more trying to be in denial about that.

She looks a bit flustered and angry after the questions, but still desperate and worried.
    "Listen. I think I answered your questions. Can you give me the loan or not? There's other agencies nearby if you can't."

21. - Top - End - #141

RedKnightGirl

eek Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Show
    Double check with self I'm fine, not charmed. Show Mary the notepad from the bottom (so, including the contact details...). Point out how the whole interview went incredibly well.
    Half-defend-ish Brittany, as a target of redemption. Point out that there might be a date now.

Carol jogged excitedly back to the car, grinning when she jumped in. Expecting them to drive away casually, if immediately, she instead got assailed with a worried inquisition by her friend. In the middle of dragging her seat belt into place pointedly, hoping to hint they should leave quickly, she instead hesitated when she was accused of falling under a supernatural charm.

What? No! Definitely not.

The angelic red head clicked the seatbelt distractedly into place, but barely heard it as she focused inwards at her own excitement and joy at all the information she had learned so quickly, the opportunities presented and seized. She had learned more in one morning than the Sword and it's network of Soldiers did in a week. Looking further, she reluctantly rummaged over her feelings to spot something inauthentic, or recognize a desire that didn't belong. She chewed her lip nervously before realizing it wasn't a problem, and finally waved the question off irritably.

Mary, I'm fine, okay? Seriously. Come on, I did it! We did it. Check it out.

Taking out her phone, Carol second-guessed hiding the contact details. Turning the screen towards Mary, Carol herself glanced away as she scrolled the yellow notepad screen upwards from the bottom, giving a sense of the questions asked, and details taken. As much as Carol didn't want to worry Mary more, hiding the contact details from her friend felt worse. They had to trust each other completely to ensure their chances at completely saving souls, let alone building up a Tether.

See? Fresh off the presses. That puts us at three Fire celestials confirmed in one morning, two Burnt questions answered directly by their leaders, and one solid invite to the Gravel Pits this evening! Flavius' personal history included; after party optional.” She spoke with a hint of excitement colouring her otherwise obvious pleasure, even as her arms folded.

And there's a lot going on with Brittany. She's not just confident despite getting forced into her role and being mistreated, she's resourceful enough to get a better quality of life not just for herself, but for the women working under her. It's not perfect, sure. But we shouldn't ignore her for Redemption either.” She shrugged more reluctantly than intended before she continued. “Besides, she asked me out.

22. - Top - End - #142

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

She looks a bit flustered and angry after the questions, but still desperate and worried.
    "Listen. I think I answered your questions. Can you give me the loan or not? There's other agencies nearby if you can't."
    Tommy ignores her discomfiture while he takes a second to think about the loan. First off, her extortioner is really fast off the block after a school shooting to be ready for this. Second off, bluster aside, lady doesn't have many options. She's out of her mind if she thinks that a normal loan shark will accept a loan that takes a year to pay off. Third, this lady probably doesn't have that many hooks into the kind of info Tommy wants, so maybe he can get an angle right now.

"Yes, I can offer you a loan. Terms of repayment are simple. I want $5,500 in 6 months, or $6,500 a year from now - that's about $550 per month. You can pay by month if you want, or a lump sum. I trust you, so this is basically the interest rate from a high credit card. You probably won't find a better deal from any other outfit like me.

I don't have $5,000 on my person right now. Three options - first, I can electronically transfer it to you, but then you'll have to withdraw the cash. Second option, I can put it in your mailbox at the address you gave me this afternoon.

Third, and the option I highly recommend - if you don't want to deal with the payment directly, I can either deliver it or provide you with security for the delivery for a $200 fee paid at the end of the loan. This reduces the risk of having the person you're paying try to leverage you for more.

You didn't come to me asking for help with your car repair bills. You have to pay someone a lot of money very quickly. I deal with unsavory people often. I recommend you take me up on my offer to help with the payment, I have some skills to deal with situations like these."

Tommy really wishes he was a better salesman at times like this. If this lady can give him a clue as to the specific identity of the extortioner then he can press the perpetrator for information...

"So, still interested? If so, how would you like the money?"

While Ms. Thompson thinks about it, Tommy sends a couple texts.

Spoiler: To Carol/Camael
    Show
    <Nope, not the wrong number. Want to meet up and compare notes? Have some potential info you might be interested in.>

Spoiler: To Adrian/Inian
    Show
    <Potential lead on an associate of one of the shooters. More to follow.>

Spoiler: To Malcolm/Ramiel
    Show
    <Lemme know when you got a minute to talk, please.>

Then he gets onto the net and transfers himself the money for the loan from his capital account.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Assuming Tommy has some money for loan capital. If not, he'll have to ask Joanna for some or I'll have to retcon some resource points into a slush fund..
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-25 at 12:08 AM.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

Spoiler
    Show
    figured out I should add a touch more for the scene to make sense

As Inian approaches, he also notices another child -- probably between a middle schooler or freshman in high school -- sitting outside the house with a stack of comic books and some textbooks. He's reading leaning against a tree.

Camael, Redemption

Mary sighs, looking apologetic. "I'm sorry, Carol. I- maybe this is why Our Lady has me looking into Soldiers or sorcerers more than demons right now. It's hard for me to believe that Brittany could become good, but that belief, that hope, is what Redemption is about. And it's not like I was any better than her for most of my life. If I can be saved, so could she.
    Thanks for being a good example.

"But a word of advice: I don't know how much she really cares for the other prositutes. She'd laugh about pretending to be their friend and how she'd manipulate them and use them, so I'm hesitant to think she really cares for them. It could be just a gambit for power.
    ...but, well, we can hope I'm wrong."

She goes on to describe Trip's appearance, so Carol can recognize him if he makes an appearance.

"But you got a solid read on Flavius? What's he like, underneath that joke exterior? Oh, and where to now? I guess I should drive us out of this area."

Astarieth, Judgement

The woman looks a touch scared at his offers, and her eyes widen as he catches sight of the sledgehammer 'hiding' in the corner.

"I hadn't considered him asking for more money after. #*@! I should have. Listen: he's a kid, about my daughter's age, so... I hate to say it. I want to strangle his scrawny neck, to be honest, but you shouldn't be too hard on him for just being a selfish brat. But if you can... um... encourage him to really leave us be after the payment. To delete the photos. Um, that's why he wants the money; some photos that'll hurt my daughter.
    Yeah, two hundred extra sounds good.
    He lives at <address>. Name is Francis Malackey. And here's the phone number he texted my daughter with, to demand the money."

Spoiler: Resonance still resonating
    Show

She was so frantic and panicked, after the shooting and the extortion, that she hadn't considered that option.

But The Truth shows you she's telling the truth as far as she knows, but is dead wrong about this 'kid'. He's centuries old, and a vile manipulator of people and others to get what he wants, focused on spreading discord, division, and hatred wherever he can. And perfectly the type to be slain by agents of Judgement.
    He really wants the money as a petty payback, angry that his plans this morning got ruined.

EDIT: oh, and she lying a little, partially to herself even. She'd feel guilty if you killed him or severely maimed him, but would be okay with him being roughed up and part of her wouldn't mind him having broken legs or worse. She's not evil, but she doesn't mind some vengeance on this kid after what he did to her daughter.

And for your money: yeah, makes sense to have reserves like that. Perhaps something Joanna set you up with in the past, but fine.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-04-27 at 11:07 AM.

24. - Top - End - #144

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

But if you can... um... encourage him to really leave us be after the payment. To delete the photos. Um, that's why he wants the money; some photos that'll hurt my daughter.

Yeah, two hundred extra sounds good.

He lives at <address>. Name is Francis Malackey. And here's the phone number he texted my daughter with, to demand the money."
    "I'll deliver the payment, and try and make sure the... individual... doesn't have any capability to extort your family in the future. Let me know how he told you to deliver the payment.

If he ends up accepting less than the full amount I'll credit half the difference back to you. I expect you to pay any remaining balance in full, by the terms stated before. I'd prefer if you leave the payment in cash at my UPS store box in an plain envelope.

Good luck with your situation. I hope your family and daughter are OK. Please go and take care of them. If you need to contact me, contact this number, but if everything goes right we shouldn't have to meet up again."
    Then Tommy texts her <Hello! :)> from his burner phone.

Well, I probably just scared the heck out of this lady. What a situation - first customer in a new town clues me into an adversary. Must be my lucky day. She came to the right office.

When she tells him the contact information, Tommy jots it down quickly in his notebook, right next to the transaction log for the debt. Then he waits, thinking up various ways to get after this demon based on how it wants the payment. He pulls up the 'kid's' address on the map app on his phone, and starts casing the neighborhood.

25. - Top - End - #145

Before Inian gets out of his car, he takes the time to read the text from Astarieth.

He get out and walks over to the kid by the tree, stopping a good ten feet short of him. "Hey, I'm sorry to bother, but I'm looking for Jason Mathers and I was told he lived here. I heard he was one of the best artists in town so I was hoping to speaking with him about something."

"Assuming you're not Jason," Inian adds with an awkward laugh.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

26. - Top - End - #146

RedKnightGirl

Lightbulb Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Show

a. Point out Mary is impressive, and we're both weird enough that it makes sense Met chose us to work together.

b. Talk a bit about Flavius. Mostly his forgiveness, persuasiveness, love of Trip. Ask Mary if the friendship Flavius feels is mutual with Trip.

c. Text Inian.

d. Ask Mary to drive us one road off of 14 South Main Street, where Tom's business is? That way we're close enough to drop by and talk if needed (not my first option), but far enough away no offence is given if we instead drive off to other Angelic Business.

e. Call Tom. See how he's doing and ask what type of information he's after/offering. There IS a chance it's something Redemption worthy, so better to ask.

Spoiler: text to Adrian/Inian
    Show

That sucks, Adrian. Really sorry to hear that. But at least it's likely to only get better? I'll send the details the second I get them. You should hang out with us more. Call if you need.

Spoiler: phone call to Tom/Asterieth
    Show

Presuming Tom actually answered, “Morning, Tom. Congrats on your grand opening! How's business? It's not often you hear about those like yourself being a people person. Let alone teasing in text. What type of info were you after? What're you offering?

Hey. If Met trusted you to look into aware mortals, it's because she trusts your unique blend for the tactical and divine. Strategic enough to impress a Soldier, and awe inspiring enough to stun a Sorcerer. You're easily the most intriguing angel they'll ever meet,” Carol touched her shoulder briefly, smiled.

But, now that you say it, it's no wonder Met stuck you with me. Any Friend of Man that prefers spending her time in seedy dive bars playing emotional tug-o-war with fallen celestials instead of attending mortals kind of needs a grounding factor. We're too much of an odd couple not to work.” Scooping up the Starbucks cup she had mostly drained earlier from the cup holder, she raised it experimentally all the same.

To Met, and her secret love of irony.

Tasting only air when she sipped at the mostly empty cup, Carol still swirled it around in her hand absent-mindedly, the want to flee the area fading as she talked. It felt safe near Mary.

But for Flavius, he's really forgiving. At least of the little things. Which is still a lot, considering. He knows the value of talking things through. Friendship. So his feelings for Trip are strong, and you can imagine how he treats anyone that doesn't care for his friend. If it wasn't for Flavius helping form the Fire Tether, and some long term Pentagon plan to fan it further, he might be one of the better candidates around. Does Trip feel the same, though?

She asked Mary, curious. If anyone might know what their friendship was like, it would be Mary. Flavius had existed for a century, and a large part of it in the Pentagram. A shrug followed.

Anyway, I finally text Inian when I was in the bar. Figured he'd love the Gravel Pits. It'd be nice to...” Carol trailed off, brow arched as she checked her phone again. One was from Inian, but the second Seraphim of Judgement sent another. Her nose wrinkled on reading the angel of War was having a rough day, on top of potentially being unavailable later. A quick reply followed to him. The second text claimed Judgement had useful information, but at the cost of a potential information swap. She looked from her phone, contemplative.

Mary, did Astarieth text you as well? He sent me a few, but the most recent one is asking for an info swap. Claims he has something we might like.” She eyed the brunette hopefully. “Y'know, Tom probably works with the Triad, and seems pretty open-minded. They might have given him concrete details on dissonant celestials. How do you feel about helping Ikorial live his fullest potential that much sooner?

Carol's phone was already calling before the question was fully asked, knowing technology offered at least some protection against the vibration of unrelenting truth that was all Seraphim. She asked Mary to take them a road away from 14 South Main Street, that way they had the option to leave the area without being noticed or giving unnecessary offence.

Presuming Tom actually answered, “Morning, Tom. Congrats on your grand opening! How's business? It's not often you hear about those like yourself being a people person. Let alone teasing in text. What type of info were you after? What're you offering?

Spoiler: Where To Next
    Show

If Mary is happy with the idea, ask for a lift close (a road away?) to Tom's new work place while I call to ask what he's offering. If it's anything Redemption worthy, we can always physically go say hi if needed. If not, still the first realish contact with the newest PC?

If Mary isn't happy with the idea of stopping nearby, there's other good options (Rourke-journalist issue still untouched, and she also made a good point about Soldiers/Sorcerers).

27. - Top - End - #147
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

The woman gives a sigh, a mix of relief and uncertainty, and nods. "Thank you. I'll make sure to get you the payments."

Spoiler: OOC/PC interaction
    Show
    Feel free to intermesh a 'side scene' talking to Carol/Camael if you wish, between this and checking out the neighborhood

Oh, wait, you're just checking out on your phone, not driving around yet. Cool.

The neighbhorhood looks like a normal one for the area. It is suburbs off the richer side of town, usually occupied by those working at a technology company or doing better-paying hospitality work.

Inian, War

The kid looks up, an annoyed expression on his face.
    "Looking for my brother? He's inside with his art teacher." The kid gets a mischevious glint in his eye. "But I'm guessing she's more teaching him anatomy than art. He told me to head out here and give them some privacy."

"So, if you wanna knock on the door and interrupt them, be my guest."

Camael, Redemption

Mary gives a bashful but thankful smile at the sincere compliments. She raises her coffee in toast.

While listening about Flavius, she gives a chuckle and smile. "Flavius did make me laugh, and he was... well, from what I could tell, he just saw mortals beneath him, so it was easy to forgive them their faults. But that is better than most demons. Better than I was, if someone looked at me the wrong way.

"As for him and Trip? Yeah, they're close. Honestly, I think Flavius favors Trip as more than a friend, but Trip likes the ladies. But I think they're solid allies, and, from what you say, maybe sincere friends.
    "When Bethrezen and I were working with Fire, Trip and Flavius were tight. Each one risked Trauma to save each other, so I think it's sincere for each other."

At the remarks about Astarieth and Ikorial, Mary looks uncertain.
    "I wouldn't Adewale or his dogs near Ikorial, but this Astarieth guy does at least seem different. He could be one of the good ones, I guess. I'm fine dropping you off there, but I'd rather not be speaking to Seraphs of Judgement unless I have to."

With that Carol is dropped off at Astarieth's, Mary waiting in the car.

Spoiler
    Show

For one of you! It's a surprise who!
    (3d6)[1][4][1](6)
    I'll edit in stuff if it matters.

edit: even if a success, with a check digit of 1 it doesn't tell anything you wouldn't already see.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-04-29 at 11:28 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Tommy laughs at Carol's phone call. "Such as myself, eh? Do tell, what do you mean by that??? You hear about the school shooting? Got some info on it." Knowing full well that she knows that he knows the answer to the rhetorical question....

You can do a lot with google maps and street view - traffic at the major intersections near the spot, avenues of approach from the road and from the adjoining lots, even identifying whether some of the neighbors have dogs or kids by the things in the backyard. Heck, if the street view has shadows on it (giving you a point of reference for the time of day) you can generally figure out who might be home during the day.

Tommy wiles away a few minutes doing precisely that while he waits for the next customer.

When Carol stops by he's pleasantly surprised. "Hey lady, how's it going? You hear about the shooting at the school? It was bad guys - Adrian ran into one of them, a Shedim. I've got a line on a mortal who's being extorted by another bad guy. Thought you might be interested, both 'cause of the journalism angle and 'cause that mortal girl might need a nudge back onto the straight and narrow."

You got anything for me?"
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-04-29 at 09:38 PM.

29. - Top - End - #149

Inian cracks a smile. "Hah, you're funny, kid. If you're Jason's younger brother, what's your name?"

He takes a moment before continuing to look down at his phone and sent Camael back a text. God willing. Want to link up tomorrow for that jog?

"Might give them a few minutes so I don't piss off the guy I'm about to try to commission. This art teacher of his any good at actual art, or just the horizontal tango? Or whatever people are saying these days."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

30. - Top - End - #150

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Oh, you know what I mean, Tom. People that...would struggle to find the perfect pair of shades. Or might run out of eyeliner quicker than others,” Carol answered into her android phone, coyly. The joy drained out of her voice when Tommy mentioned a school shooting. “That's awful. Was anyone hurt?

Mary dropped her off not so much the road away from the Seraphim as Carol had asked for, so much as exactly at the loan shark's workplace, where she had zero protection from angelic his resonance. She favoured Mary with an understanding nod. Asterieth is either open-minded, or things are really bad. Exiting the car without a word, Carol strolled over to Tommy, only to be confronted with pleasantries. A furtive glance around told her no mundanes or other celestials were near. Little precautions had kept her roles secret before.

Corrupters,” Carol muttered, uncharacteristically darkly. She grew quiet for a long time, frowning. “This really isn't the kind of tip-off I was hoping for,” she admitted to the Seraphim sullenly, wondering how Inian was doing after that. Michael's angels were courageous and relentless in a fight, but even they needed time to recover and heal. It was hard to tell how much an event like that weighed on any single soul.

Mary would know better than me how to approach this one, honestly. Or even if we should. She's been working with Destiny so long for a reason, right? I'll pass it on to her. But I had a brush with the Fire Shedite this morning. We managed to help the victim that time, though. If we do tackle this one, it'd be really helpful if you could pass on any details you already know. Who was the victim? Where might they be now? What type of Shedite are we up against? We both know Fire is a different problem from Factions or The Game. Or are we dealing with an entirely unknown celestial?

The disguised Redemption angel considered the Holiest of Holies' rough faced vessel as patiently as she did any other. Gang violence, divisiveness among the popular and ignored, some cruel gamble to force angels into revealing themselves – this could have been anything. She wanted to remain open about what actually happened out there, but it was better to ask ahead of time. Judgement was steeped in investigation and enforcement.

Well, you should know that the decade old info is turning out to be gold so far. The Fire Shedite, Impudite, and Djinn are still in the area, and they're all seemingly operating under the same roles. None of the other fallen celestials have been directly confirmed yet, but it seems incredibly likely Trip is with us as well. I intend to confirm more details by tonight. Is it true you're aiming at the Gravel Pits as well?

Spoiler: Mercurian Resonance
    Show

1) Mercurian Resonance / Perception on Astarieth.

Target Number 8.
    (1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[3]

Check Digit: (1d6+1)[6]
    +1 for being within three feet of the Seraphim.

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-05-01 at 08:21 AM.