New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 6 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #151
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler: OOC to JoyWonderLove and robnar
    Show
    Well, the obvious lie about "people such as you" is obvious.

Also, it's known by the angels (and in the first OOC thread post) that there's at least three shedites: Factions, Fire, and The Game.
    Of course, asking Astarieth is still reasonable.

Camael got a 6 on her Mecurian Resonance of Astarieth, so robnar: I guess write up what she'd learn.

Astarieth, Judgement & Camael, Redemption

The street view gives rather useful intelligence regarding the house. There's a number of houses in the street. The house to one side has a few cars in it, so likely a large family, but the house on the other side has a "For Sale" sign in front and looks to currently be vacant. Most houses have wooden fences around the backyards. Smallish backyards, but still enough for a grill and room for kids to run around a little bit.

It'd be impossible to approach the house without going through the backyard of the house behind it or the yards next door.

Once Camael arrives, the two angels are able to talk directly.

Inian, War

The kid gives a friendly smile, jokingly answering, "Not supposed to talk to strangers. But you wanna wait, fine, wait."

At the question about the teacher, the kid sighs. "I guess she's good. She teaches my class, too. Bro says nothing's going on between them, but I see how she looks at him. All those private lessons, I'm sure there's more than he says."

However, before Inian can say more, you hear a male voice yelling from inside. Not anger like in combat, but frustration and resentment.
    "Keep me safe!? Comfort!? Can't you imagine the inspiration? To see death and fear like that. I missed it because of you!"

A woman yells back. "I told you I don't remember sending that text! But, besides, how can you have wanted to be there?"

The boy rolls his eyes. "Guess the lesson's over."

2. - Top - End - #152
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment
    Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    Oh, you know what I mean, Tom. People that...would struggle to find the perfect pair of shades. Or might run out of eyeliner quicker than others.
    "You can help me on sunglasses? Reading an advertisement for the fancy ones is like listening to a drunk guy with three fingers wailing out a guitar solo. I need some better bling, but I just can't do it. See you soon.

He welcomes Carol in when she arrives, the mood a bit more somber and professional than their joking on the phone.

Corrupters... This really isn't the kind of tip-off I was hoping for,

Mary would know better than me how to approach this one, honestly. Or even if we should. She's been working with Destiny so long for a reason, right? I'll pass it on to her. But I had a brush with the Fire Shedite this morning. We managed to help the victim that time, though. If we do tackle this one, it'd be really helpful if you could pass on any details you already know. Who was the victim? Where might they be now? What type of Shedite are we up against? We both know Fire is a different problem from Factions or The Game. Or are we dealing with an entirely unknown celestial?

Gang violence, divisiveness among the popular and ignored, some cruel gamble to force angels into revealing themselves – this could have been anything.
    Tommy gets serious for a moment as they go over the plan. Have to get over the elephant in the room.

"Let's lay it out here. I don't think that you guys should focus on the demons that organized the school shooting. The shedim was Factions, I assume the other one was as well. They were trying to set up a tether.

I think it's too risky to leave the kinda demons that will resort to those means around. War team and I are working a plan, think you should just leave them to us. Just my opinion, but they ain't worth the effort of redemption."

Tommy hopes she doesn't press him on this point. Personally he has a lot of respect for redemption, but sometimes you gotta prioritize, and those two demons seem pretty low on the list.

Well, you should know that the decade old info is turning out to be gold so far. The Fire Shedite, Impudite, and Djinn are still in the area, and they're all seemingly operating under the same roles. None of the other fallen celestials have been directly confirmed yet, but it seems incredibly likely Trip is with us as well. I intend to confirm more details by tonight. Is it true you're aiming at the Gravel Pits as well?
    "I had an idea that you could look into the shooting from the journalism angle. A mortal mom came by this morning asking for help for her daughter, girl of one of the shooters at the school. That girl may be able to tell a little bit more about how the demons organized this. Plus, I expect a bunch of the other demons - especially Madison O'Rourke - might want to capitalize on this thing."

"But that was before you let me know that you've tracked down three fire demons yourself... so, well, maybe I should just mind my own business and let you do your thing..."

"Yeah, I was thinking about snooping at the gravel pits tonight, but if some of the other demons are concentrated there that may make it a better time to make a move on Factions. Still playing it by ear. Also, suspect the burnt are gonna pay me a visit pretty soon to shake me down for money, so hoping to run into some of them here.

So that's my plan. Your thoughts?"

Spoiler: Mercurian Resonance on Astarieth
    Show

Astarieth's an old angel. Not an OLD angel, but old enough to have a lot of background - like a large, detailed mural that's too much to take in at one look. The image is too much to take in at once, but you see recurring themes of disappointment, hope, and occasional notes of triumph. Disappointment, from so many mortals who've failed to take the opportunities he's provided. Deeper, much deeper disappointment from Elianal, a dissonant Mercurian of Flowers he once tried to help, but who ended up falling. Shining like small sparkles among the drab canvas of disappointment are little triumphs and hopes - an entire drug ring of Vapula he was able to pull apart. A homeless man who actually got a new suit, cleaned up, and paid Tommy his money back. Far more. You can see that Tommy lives for those little triumphs - the 5% of his bets that work out.

From his connections, you can see that Tommy actually feels deeply connected to all the angels around them, even those he just met, even you. He prides himself as being a team player. He admires Dominic for his objectivity, and the prudent judgment he's seen more times than any non-servitor would ever see. You see high hopes for his current servant, Joanna.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-05-01 at 01:28 PM.

3. - Top - End - #153
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler: robnar, OOC, and about the Mercurian resonance
    Show

I understand if you feel agreeing with my attempt isn't what you want. War is going to fight, Redemption is going to redeem, etc. Judgement will judge?

Really intriguing resonance answer. Love the little bit about the Flower angel, and the feelings throughout. Great additions. Your resonance reply is here. Are you okay with the idea that I can read and incorporate the interview answers you gave into my resonance result (Mercurians supposedly see huge amounts on a 6) as well? Not sure any of it will ever come up, but better to ask and have the option than be unsure.....

The Mercurian let a smile out as the Symphony revealed the flashes of victory and hope intermixed with disappointment the Seraphim strived under, the connection he felt to all angels a reassurance that nearly balanced the mistaken trust in Dominic. Sometimes, it's a lot better to love for the wrong reasons, than hate for the seemingly right, she thought. A shrug when he asked after her thoughts.

You're right we need to address issues plainly, Astareith. It sounds like you're cynical that anyone scummy enough to orchestrate that horrible event is worth the time and effort to redeem. It really is too risky to leave celestials like them alone, and we absolutely can't allow another Fallen Tether to form. Truthfully, I'll probably always be a dogmatically small-minded and simplistic soul that's too sugary and soft to agree with celestial death, over the harder path of dragging dead weight up to heaven, inch by Sisphean inch.

Two fists were formed, one atop the other, and her arms temporarily trembled under some imaginary weight as they slowly pulled upwards. It all but disappeared before a tired smile.

Anyway, with the War team and you already solving the problem, there's a certain wisdom in Redemption not focusing on Factions.” She let the seconds slink by then, lending the words a stony weight.

Three angels directly acting against two Fallen is more than enough, so five would be excessive, right? And learning important details from the Fallen will help refine what actions work best against them and their networks, correct? So how do you feel about detaining at least one instead, in the interest of you gaining crucial details that will not only reveal their operations fully, but likely give all of us powerful insights into Lust and Fate?

Carol cupped her right elbow into her left hand, the right swivelling to nothing and everything besides her, as though confidently presenting a display. “You detain at least one, Astarieth – preferably whoever leads the two – and as long as he's secure, I can get absolutely crucial details out of him. Details that can save far more mundane lives than ending that celestial can. Details than will be won far quicker than the painstaking process of dragging them out of a perceieved enemy. Details that no other angel in the entire Pentagram can provide you. All that good, Astaerith, in exchange for a single soul. What do you think?

Spoiler: robar resonance, writing these feel longer than the post itself....
    Show

a= “You're right we need to address issues plainly, Astareith. It sounds like you're cynical that anyone scummy enough to orchestrate that horrible event is worth the time and effort to redeem. It really is too risky to leave celestials like them alone, and we absolutely can't allow another Fallen Tether to form. Truthfully, I'll probably always be a dogmatically small-minded and simplistic soul that's too sugary and soft to agree with celestial death, over the harder path of dragging dead weight up to heaven, inch by Sisphean inch.” (resonance 6)

1 Does the speaker think they're lying?
    2 If they lied, which statement in particular do they think is false?
    3 Why tell the lie or truth as they know it?
    4 What the speaker truly believes?
    5 Does the speaker know the Truth?
    6 What is the Truth?

Camael is truthful until she starts describing herself, which instead becomes more of a dance between metaphor and how she thinks many angels will stereotype and interpret Redemption angels generally. She truly believes Redemption has the wisest and most complicated challenge in heaven. The Truth is that some angels are a stereotype of their Word, and some aren't. She knows that.

b= “Anyway, with the War team and you already solving the problem, there's a certain wisdom in Redemption not focusing on Factions.” She let the seconds slink by then, lending the words a stony weight.

Honest. Camael believes Redemption should be allowed to assist with the Factions issue, not focus on it. The Truth is that she's being subjective.

c= “Three angels directly acting against two Fallen is more than enough, so five would be excessive, right? And learning important details from the Fallen will help refine what actions work best against them and their networks, correct? So how do you feel about detaining at least one instead, in the interest of you gaining crucial details that will not only reveal their operations fully, but likely give all of us powerful insights into Lust and Fate?

Honest. Camael believes five angels directly organising against two demons is excessive, and that learning good information is crucial to changing Star Valley for the better, and that detaining instead of killing at least one is indescribably more valuable to the entire angelic community and the mundane city. The Truth is that no one knows how many angels is too much against the Faction demons, or if the Faction twins have the information Camael thinks it's incredibly likely they have.

d= “You detain at least one, Astarieth – preferably whoever leads the two – and as long as he's secure, I can get absolutely crucial details out of him. Details that can save far more mundane lives than ending that celestial can. Details than will be won far quicker than the painstaking process of dragging them out of a perceieved enemy. Details that no other angel in the entire Pentagram can provide you. All that good, Astaerith, in exchange for a single soul. What do you think?

Camael is trying to make an honest deal. She believes that if War & Judgement are willing to spare and detain one of them to let her work her magic on a prisoner, it will be infinitely more useful to basically the entire angelic effort in the entire Pentagram. Vital information gained. She believes a Seraphim of Judgement will take much longer to get those details due to inherently different style of questions and levels of friendliness (a demon will likely never give any useful information to an angel that attempts to kill him). Finally, as the only Mercurian of Redemption in town, she believes her Charm and other unique skills make her distinctly able to get details other angels can't.

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-05-02 at 09:40 AM.

4. - Top - End - #154

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

“You detain at least one, Astarieth – preferably whoever leads the two – and as long as he's secure, I can get absolutely crucial details out of him. Details that can save far more mundane lives than ending that celestial can. Details than will be won far quicker than the painstaking process of dragging them out of a perceieved enemy. Details that no other angel in the entire Pentagram can provide you. All that good, Astaerith, in exchange for a single soul. What do you think?”
    Tommy listens, and appreciates the earnest concern in the young angel's pitch. But it ain't as simple as she's making it out to be. This is where it gets rough, because she's not going to like the next steps. Tommy takes a long pause before he responds, trying to make sure he lays the issue out clearly without sugarcoating the hard facts or boxing Carol into a corner she can't accept.

"You don't need to sell me on trying to detain one. Of course we're gonna try, but that ain't easy. If we're able to detain one, I've got nothing against you talking to it.

But there isn't going to be a 'soul exchange.' Once we're done I turn it over to the Triad with my recommendation of what to do with it. You can and should provide a recommendation as well. They will decide on what happens to it. At that point, all we can do is provide the best information we have on the demon, its crimes, the risk of keeping it around, and its potential for redemption so that they can make a sound judgment."

He hates to put it out so flatly, but he worries about some unstated expectations forming in the young Angel's mind, behind her words. He knows he's inviting a disagreement, and conflict, but he hopes that getting it out early will help them move past it.

"I don't really know too much about the Shedim's victims. Students. Girl I mentioned wasn't one of them - there's at least one other demon involved in this, maybe more. I don't have any leads on those aside from the extortion case. Malcolm probably knows the most about it. Between that, the Burnt, and the gravel pits we got more open leads than people who can follow 'em."
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-05-02 at 03:54 PM.

5. - Top - End - #155

RedKnightGirl

cool Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Carol's eyes narrowed at the outright refusal to potentially spare the soul, but her anger was rapidly let go of with a sigh, and a single sharp nod. It had been too much to expect, considering Words and the scenario. The hand that had not long ago swivelled about to her invisible display instead started tapping her lips at a steady tempo briefly, as though trying to touch on exactly the right words.

Wonderful. Just a little time questioning will pay huge dividends for us all, so I do appreciate the leeway. It's kind of you. And I completely understand your respecting the Triad. Speaking of, would you please give me their numbers? Fortissimo and Rezzial in particular are important. Adewale is likely tried of me, no matter what I intend.” She shrugged.

Really, I can only imagine how hard it would be to actually detain anyone by force. Not that there'd be a single shed tear if you three put Factions so far into trauma the only division in their lives is a splitting headache. We're lucky Inian was there to protect who knows how many lives. And you're right there's several leads. I'm covering the Gravel Pits, if my lead pulls through. That ensures if you all go after Factions tonight that we still eyes elsewhere.

Seemingly emphasising the point, Carol's own gaze roamed over at what appeared to be a hastily erected sign for Tommy's loan shark business. Her eyes floated over to the table and chairs, only to see the namesake of his vessel waiting patiently, half in shadows. Pulling her gaze away from the weapon, she made the effort to sigh again.

Well, let me not slow us both down by talking away your afternoon. Those leads really won't cover themselves. All the best, Astareith.

Spoiler: Jeen/robnar
    Show
    Unless there's anything big, this feels like a semi natural time to let Tommy follow his lead and for me to...decide where to go next. I have options, it's just deciding what fits.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-05-02 at 05:27 PM.

6. - Top - End - #156

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Quote Originally Posted by JoyWonderLove View Post
    Wonderful. Just a little time questioning will pay huge dividends for us all, so I do appreciate the leeway. It's kind of you. And I completely understand your respecting the Triad. Speaking of, would you please give me their numbers? Fortissimo and Rezzial in particular are important. Adewale is likely tried of me, no matter what I intend.” She shrugged.
    "Sure. Here you go. I don't have a good read on that guy either, yet." Tommy fudges with his phone for a few seconds, and then three contact cards rapidly appear on Carol's phone.

7. - Top - End - #157
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inian straightens up and looks at the house. "Well, I guess now is as good of a time as any to either defuse the situation or give him some more 'inspiration'," he says under his breath. "It was nice talking to you, kid. Even if I still don't actually know your name."

The Angel walks over to the front door and knocks three times, hard. "Hello, is anyone there? ¿Hay alguien en casa? If this is the Mather's house, I was hoping to talk with Jason."
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

8. - Top - End - #158
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: for Camael and Astarieth
    Show

It'll take me a bit more time to read through the spoilers, so I'm going to post y'all's later today. But here's Inian's.

Inian, War

The kids shrugs and goes back to his comic book.

The voices are raised a little more, but with little content when the angel knocks on the door. They quiet and you hear some whispering, then a youth opens the door.

Spoiler: Perception roll to hear them better while whispering
    Show

(3d6)[4][1][1](6)

You don't hear much, but a whisper of concern from her about "if someone sees me here with you?", followed by him scoffing.

A 6'foot man opens the door, wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans, both splattered with paint stains. He's also wearing a spiked collar and spiked bracelets, and has hair so black it looks dyed, but otherwise has little of the 'emo' look to him. He appears fairly fit, in a thin, lithe fashion. An angry scrowl is on his face.

"Yeah, I'm Jason." You see a trace of concern on his face as he glances past you to the kid, who simply gives a sarcastic wave. He rolls his eyes, looking more like a normal, annoyed sibling. "Anyway, who are you and what do you want?

In the back of the room, you can see a woman -- likely in her late twenties or early thirties -- wearing a skirt and a blouse that... well, it's not exactly unprofessional, but showing a bit more cleavage than one would expect. She's putting on some heels and gathering up an art bag. She looks afraid more than anything else.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-04 at 09:40 AM.

9. - Top - End - #159
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: Resonances
    Show
    I think y'all handled those pretty well.
    If there's anything I should spell out more that I missed, just let me know.

After parting ways...

Camael, Redemption

When Carol exits the storefront and re-enters Mary's car, she sees the Ofanite with a smile on her face and two new cups of McDonalds coffe along with some cheeseburgers.

"Didn't feel like just waiting. Sitting still don't sit well, y'know? But I got good news beyond a snack. I talked to Origenius, and he'll look into Kaylee. Also, he's done a little delving on your behalf in the meantime. A friend of his, a journalism professor, was asked if any student would like extra credit covering a club owner. By Rourke. The professor felt uncertain about sending any students to that viper's nest, but Rourke is a donor to both the celestial and infernal universities in town, so he went to Origenius for advice.

"You're not obligated, but if you want an 'in' to talking with Rourke, you can get assigned this extra credit."

She then glances back at the storefront, a look of concern.
    "And no shackles from the eight-eyed dragon, right? Astarieth treat you okay?"

Astarieth, Judgement

A few minutes after Carol leaves, a thin man with an oily slick haircut and a snazzy suit walks in. Almost in the style of Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad. Astarieth also notices that two cops are standing across the street, drinking coffee and looking around, but often at the shop. Uncommon sight in this side of town.

The man gives a too-slick smile and says, "Hi. I'm Harold Rickman, local lawyer. I heard about your shop and wanted to come by and introduce myself." He slips a business card on the table, with the slogan If you have a slip, better call Rick!. Even without Resonances, the sense of sleaziness and lies dripping off the man is slightly repulsive.

He smiles again. "Anyway, I'm here about a hypothetical situation, want your advice. You mighta heard about how some businesses around here get shaken down for money. Shame, yeah? Well, hypothetically, someone doing the shaking figured it might be better if a business like yours did something better than just paying money.

"Like, if some people come by with my business card and asking for a loan, you give it to them. Someone else pays the loan soon after, within a week or two, tops, with interest and all. You then give the profit you made as your protection money. Y'know, hypothetically. Better than the alternative of losing, say, ten percent of your income. This way you come out even, and you can even put the shakedown as a tax deduction, so it's like you're getting paid. Not officially in any way.

"So, if a situation like this presented itself to one such as you, would you be interested? Or would you prefer some thugs to come shake you down?"

He glances towards the cops. "Oh, and those are my buddies. No reason to worry about them, but, uh..." He leans over, obviously glancing at the sledgehammer. "Just keep in mind they are my buddies, eh, buddy?"

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show

I had fun making this character.

Go ahead and roll to see if you get any hidden details, but I'll tell you already that, beyond it not being hypothetical, he's offering a legit deal on behalf on the Burnt. Basically, you launder money for them to avoid a shakedown.
    And the cops are being paid to watch him. They despise him, of course, but are there to protect him during this deal.a

And his name is legit. He's human.

10. - Top - End - #160

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

When Tommy sees the man coming in, he has every sort of premonition. As the man enters the store, with his little police escort, Tommy smoothly shifts his phone from google maps to the voice note app. He starts the phone recording, sets it down on the table, and stands to greet the man. So it begins. This will be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    "Hi. I'm Harold Rickman, local lawyer. I heard about your shop and wanted to come by and introduce myself." He slips a business card on the table, with the slogan If you have a slip, better call Rick!. Even without Resonances, the sense of sleaziness and lies dripping off the man is slightly repulsive.

He smiles again. "Anyway, I'm here about a hypothetical situation, want your advice. You mighta heard about how some businesses around here get shaken down for money. Shame, yeah? Well, hypothetically, someone doing the shaking figured it might be better if a business like yours did something better than just paying money.

"Like, if some people come by with my business card and asking for a loan, you give it to them. Someone else pays the loan soon after, within a week or two, tops, with interest and all. You then give the profit you made as your protection money. Y'know, hypothetically. Better than the alternative of losing, say, ten percent of your income. This way you come out even, and you can even put the shakedown as a tax deduction, so it's like you're getting paid. Not officially in any way.

"So, if a situation like this presented itself to one such as you, would you be interested? Or would you prefer some thugs to come shake you down?"

He glances towards the cops. "Oh, and those are my buddies. No reason to worry about them, but, uh..." He leans over, obviously glancing at the sledgehammer. "Just keep in mind they are my buddies, eh, buddy?"

"Hello, Harold Rickman? Tommy Rodriguez."
    As Harold delivers his pitch Tommy offers his hand with a look of serious and genuine concern.

Spoiler: Resonance. Emote Skill, Perception
    Show
    Resonance: (1d6)[4](1d6)[6] Check Digit: (1d6)[1] +4

EDIT: Gosh darnit, of all the times to roll a 1 for a check digit.

Emote Skill: (1d6)[6](1d6)[5] Check Digit: (1d6)[2]

Bottom line, Tommy's trying to keep a concerned and attentive face while he plays dumb.

EDIT: Whew! Barely.

Perception roll: (1d6)[5](1d6)[4] Check Digit: (1d6)[3]

Tommy wants to see if the cops outside are real cops, and if so whether they're from this beat or 'rented' from another precinct - are they wearing vests? Body cams? Do they have a police cruiser that he can see? Does it have a cage in the back for a detainee and/or the lojack antennae on top?

Other note, if Harold moves to look at Tommy's phone Tommy will intercept his hand gently and patiently admonish Harold for being grabby.

"That's great! How did you hear about my shop so quickly? I just opened a couple hours ago."

Tommy waits for the rest of the pitch, and then nods seriously.

"Yeah, if a situation like that presented itself I'd definitely consider it. Who's offering that, your client? They around here right now? I'd wanna talk details, you see. Like how much money they're thinking about, or who I go talking to if the payback doesn't come on time."

Oh, and do you do taxes? Didn't know I could write off extortion. I'd love to see how to do that."
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-05-05 at 03:51 AM.

11. - Top - End - #161

RedKnightGirl

Second-guessing any comment on Adam Walker, Carol instead smiled enigmatically when the second Judgement Seraphim mentioned reading Adewale. The resonance of Truth that was the Tristagonist had keenly come through the Symphony for each of them. Thanking Tommy for the three numbers of three little connected people, the red head strolled back towards Mary's car.

Oh, is that all you've done?” she asked. Amusement danced in the lens of her soul. The briefest flicker of doubt and unease arrived acute and poignant when she wondered why Mary would call Origenus twice for the same reason, and hours apart. Carol tittered.

So, first a fake date with an Impudite of Fire, then a casual chat with a Seraphim of Judgement before lunch, and now arranging an interview with the Seneschal of Lust, a Balseraph at that. And all because of you. Shedite tears and mundanes notwithstanding, this might easily be be the most lively assignment I've ever had. What day would I speak with Miss Rourke?

Plucking a cheeseburger wrapper from the brown bag, Carol was suddenly thankful for being an angel. Staying up all night studying straight into tackling newsworthy sources and gathering information all morning was a privilege most mortals would struggle to pull off, let alone while chugging coffee and eating junk food.

But no shackles, nah. I'd just go through the Motions if they pulled a stunt like that without good reason, anyway. Head straight to Torel Parks. Maybe the library?

Carol shrugged, the shards of an escape plan hazy. She intended to make one unnecessary for them. “Anyway, Astarieth is actually pleasant, considering. Really reasonable in his own way. Like always, a little cautious about what I said, but we made an agreement. Sort of. War and Judgement seem to be moving against Factions. If one of Factions' is detained, I'll be allowed a window to ask questions before the Triad take over. That said, I don't know if either'll get captured. It's a huge blessing Inian happened to be there to protect Ramiel's school. I wouldn't be surprised if they were too angry not to put Factions into three lifetimes of trauma.

Taking a small bite out of the cheeseburger, Carol chewed in slow consideration. “I don't really know how busy Inian is right now, but it'd probably be a really good idea if you talked to him tonight. It sounds like his day has been a lot more draining than ours. He probably needs a friend like you.

12. - Top - End - #162
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: OOC ALL
    Show
    I'd be okay doing a time-skip to this evening after we resolve Inian and Astarieth's scenes, unless y'all want to do something in the meantime.

EDIT: I forgot that Astarieth needs to pay the money to the Factions demon. But assuming you don't plan on killing him this afternoon, we could do that as a side scene while also addressing tonight. I don't mind some things being out of temporal order as long as they are rather minor.
    Also, on killing him: since it is a cold war right now, the general thing would be to find out the demon's Role and interfere with their actions rather than direct combat, unless combat just comes. It's one thing to kill a demon you run into in a bar fight or on a dark street; another to stalk it at its house then kill it.
    Killing a shedite is kinda okay, as you can't really watch them. It's still an escalation, but kinda reasonable angelic response to the demons almost making another Tether.

Astarieth, Judgement

"Oh, you know, word travels, people watch."

Spoiler: Resonance/Perception
    Show
    He was told about your shop by Flavius, who has his network of keeping tabs on businesses in the area.

As for the cops, their car isn't nearby, but they look legit. Vests, cop gun holster, camera, and such. So probably real cops in the pay of the Burnt.

Rickman looks overall pleased with Tommy's response.
    "Great, great. As to who is offering, well, just keep this hypothetical in mind should the situation come to occur. If you run into any problems with payments being on time, just give me a call. If it gets to be more than your cash flow can handle, well, we can see what to do.

"And as for taxes, yeah, no problem-o. That'd be an extra fee, you hiring me independently of any... um, not really business we're doing here and now, but I can help you with write-offs.

But, uh, word to the wise, kid. Don't say 'extortion' around too loud. Draws the ears of unfriendly cops."

Spoiler: overall Resonance
    Show

He's telling the truth to you (in the hypothetical/obvious lies sorta way), because this is a job of his. He'd be happy to do your taxes for a slightly exaggerated fee, but he's legit that he thinks you can write off extortion. (I don't know tax law, but I figure there's some way to do that. So let's just say there is, even if it's not 100% legit.)

He does believe you'll be paid on time and, if any trouble comes, he'll make calls to make sure you get paid, perhaps with some extra (or less shakedown) for your trouble. In effect, he (or rather, his boss) wants to recruit you as a tool for money laundering and wants you happy with it.

With a 5, you see his perception of the truth. He's working for the Burnt, but he's really doing this on behalf of his real boss, one of the members of the Burnt, Flavius. It's part of the financial and business scheme for the area, of which Rickman knows he knows just a little.

Camael, Redemption

"The job sounds kinda free time-wise. Could do it today, but tomorrow or the next also works. I can see waiting, especially if the Burnt are having a party tonight. But your call. Rourke would like someone to come around 3 or 4 pm, not too early but before she's busy doing a lot with the club."

She grows a bit quieter, uncertain as talk about Factions and Astarieth. "Well, I feel like I shouldn't say it, but I'd be okay too if Kashtiel and Kushiel wind up in Trauma or just gone. But, yeah, between Stone, War, The Sword, and Judgement... should be plenty to take care of that. Still, I wonder if Jerechial will ask me to help. As long as we offer redemption, we can kill. Just... not sure what Our Lady would want."

She shakes her head and takes a big gulp of coffee.

"Enough serious talk. I could use visiting Torel Gardens, sure. What do you have in mind while there? But if you'd rather I swing back the university, that's cool, too. And, yeah, I'll touch base with Inian."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-05 at 09:53 AM.

13. - Top - End - #163

Inian, War

The kids shrugs and goes back to his comic book.

The voices are raised a little more, but with little content when the angel knocks on the door. They quiet and you hear some whispering, then a youth opens the door.

Spoiler: Perception roll to hear them better while whispering
    Show

[roll0]

You don't hear much, but a whisper of concern from her about "if someone sees me here with you?", followed by him scoffing.

A 6'foot man opens the door, wearing a white t-shirt and blue jeans, both splattered with paint stains. He's also wearing a spiked collar and spiked bracelets, and has hair so black it looks dyed, but otherwise has little of the 'emo' look to him. He appears fairly fit, in a thin, lithe fashion. An angry scrowl is on his face.

"Yeah, I'm Jason." You see a trace of concern on his face as he glances past you to the kid, who simply gives a sarcastic wave. He rolls his eyes, looking more like a normal, annoyed sibling. "Anyway, who are you and what do you want?

In the back of the room, you can see a woman -- likely in her late twenties or early thirties -- wearing a skirt and a blouse that... well, it's not exactly unprofessional, but showing a bit more cleavage than one would expect. She's putting on some heels and gathering up an art bag. She looks afraid more than anything else.
    Inian smothers a grin at the eye roll and offers Jason his hand. "My name is Adrian Cueto and I'm...I guess charitably you could say I'm an entertainer that just started working in the area. I heard you were one of the best in town so I wanted to commission some art from you. Assuming you're taking commissions at the moment, anyway."

He locks eyes with the woman behind Jason and gives her a polite nod. "I've never done this in California before so I don't quite know what pay scale you're expecting, but I have worked with a lot of independent artists in the past and broadly understand the process," Inian says. "If you're interested in the work, can I come in for a bit to talk details?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

14. - Top - End - #164

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler: questions/actions
    Show
    The Park and library mention were more about dodging Judgement if necessary/they make false charges. Actions are to ask after what soldiers/sorcerers Mary is aware of, and if any of them seem like good candidates. Wrap it in talk about making a tether.

I'll skip ahead if that makes the story better and other want to.

Well, I like to do some background research first before speaking to someone, let alone her. Met made me a diamond against that kind of pressure, but it's not a good habit to stroll in without preparation. Tomorrow or Wednesday for Rourke, yeah.

About half way through the first cheeseburger, Carol nodded empathetically at it being unclear what the Archangel of Redemption would desire most. Even being made by Her hand, the Mercurian didn't always discover easily what was in Metanoia's heart and mind.

I'm guessing Met expects us to focus on candidates we're likely to save first? But who really knows. War and Judgement seem to be working together, of all the things, so I wouldn't want to be in Factions' vessel's shoes. I think there could be a greater peace between us and Stone than really appears on the surface. Their way of waiting until self-defence is necessary would work really well with us giving a wayward soul time to rethink. And I was mentioning Torel and the library just in case Judgement ever tried to give me a matching pair of silver bracelets without good reason, you know? Flowers and Destiny might help then. Anyway, actions.

Wrapping up the remainder of the unnecessary cheeseburger and whipping her mouth with a napkin, Carol turned fully sidelong to the getaway driver turned takeaway pickup.

Sorry for this, but I really feel like I haven't done enough to justify taking up so much of your time.” She rubbed her arm, looked away guiltily for a moment. “If the dream of getting a Redemption Tether is going to come together, one of the pieces is the ability to hold it. Especially when it's most fragile and the Fallen are most motivated to come after it. Which leads us exactly to your expertise! What mislead Soldiers or Sorcerers are you aware? Who do you think might be worth the effort of bringing over to our side? You have a better grasp of the city, and strategy, than I do, Mary. Your ideas are crucial here.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-05-06 at 04:12 AM.

15. - Top - End - #165

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

But, uh, word to the wise, kid. Don't say 'extortion' around too loud. Draws the ears of unfriendly cops."
    A part of Tommy wants to get Rickman to talk, maybe get a more obviously incriminating statement out of him. A much larger part of Tommy, the part referred to as Astarieth, is screaming mad inside the vessel at the constant noise of lies, scorn, and disrespect dripping out of this rancid cesspool of corruption's mounth. That part wants to drag the lawyer out of the office by the hair and bounce him against the curb on the way out.

"Sure, yeah, makes sense. Glad those guys are friendly, right? One thing, though. It's rude to patronize me in my shop. Especially when you've taken personal responsibility for payment for what could, hypothetically, be a lot of money. I take my work seriously. Let's be professional, eh? See you around."

While they finish off their business, Tommy escorts Harold out of the office, and waits in the door for a moment to watch him leave. As Tommy does, he tries to snap a couple pictures of the cops as well. The pics will turn out terrible - distance, hand blurring from holding the phone casually, bad angles and such - but maybe one will turn out well enough to alert Joanna. Then he snaps a picture of Harold's business card. Tommy probably shouldn't have warned Harold - better to let him think he's clueless. Oh well.

Once he's alone, Tommy snaps off two quick series of texts.

To Joanna: <Heads up. Couple folks to watch out for. You doin' aight? Want some dinner later?>

To the Triad: <Request your guidance on an issue. Have time for a phone call?>

Spoiler: OOC ALL
    Show
    I'd be okay doing a time-skip to this evening after we resolve Inian and Astarieth's scenes, unless y'all want to do something in the meantime.
    I'm good with a time skip. Tommy will use dinner with Joanna to compare notes on the day. Wants to talk to the triad to see if (1) any of them are willing to help him with the factions demon, and (2) if any of them are averse to Tommy just killing the demon.

Moved the discussion of why Tommy wants to do this to the OOC thread. We don't need to RP the conversation with the Triad if they either shut him down or agree with him wholeheartedly. Also don't need to RP the conversation with Joanna unless she's got some relevant info for him.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-05-06 at 05:22 AM.

16. - Top - End - #166
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

The teenager-nearly-a-man frowns a moment, but then gives a smile. There's some sarcastic smirk in it, but also some geniune appreciation. Whatever state he's in, there's something good still in him.

"Um, yeah, that's cool. Miss Benito, I guess I'll see you later. And I appreciate you checking up on me and Miles, despite what I said earlier. Yo, Miles, come inside, okay?"

The woman gives a faint smile, still nervous, and perhaps a slight blush at the kinder words.

The boy gathers up his books and starts to come in. He offers the teacher a high five as she passes, which she reciprocates. However, Inian notices as part of it a slippery, oily darkness flowing out of the boy's arm across the woman, becoming a bulbous growth of eyes, tongues, and limbs, then entering into her. She gives a glance and faint smile to both boys, almost like a cat playing with mice. Then, then gets into her car and starts to leave.

Jason offers Adrian a seat and asks what sort of art he was thinking of.

Spoiler
    Show
    If you compare notes with the other celestials, you cna realize this is a different shedite than Factions or Fire. Did you just see Megulliel, Shedite of The Game, or is there another one in the mix?

But, hey, you know the teacher's not a lilim, at least

For potential time-skip, if you want to broadly discuss what you'd like Jason to do, we can skip the actual conversation. I believe the circus wanted you to meet with them tomorrow, as the show starts then. So you're free tonight.
    But if you want your downtime to include swinging by there to talk to your co-artists, you could do that. Let me know any other plans.

Spoiler: a text
    Show
    The timing of this can be after done with Jason, but you get this message from Mary Sherlock: "Hey, heard you had a hard day. If you want to meet up for a jog, let me know. Think my more social sister is going to the Pits tonight. You know if anyone we know being nearby?"

Camael, Redemption

"A Tether to Redemption... if we really could be the ones to steal it, that'd be something. Carol, I really respect your ambitions. I'm worried for you, but you've done awesome work so far."

"As for my time... I probably should stay more at the university after today, but it seemed good to show you around time. And it's been fun. Scary, but fun.
    "Well, you know Destiny fights Fate. A large issue in this city is that the Seneschal of Fate seems really good at finding those with the talent for sorcery. Part of it is that this city is still well-known in occult circles, so they gravitate here, and that college is known for fostering such.
    "If Origenius finds a Hellsworn, he tries to read their Destiny and how they'd react to a few things, then I try to sense out how entrenched in selfishness they are. Currently... well, I have some feelers out for folk and am, heh, stalking them you could say, to see if they've caught Fate's eye. But no known real candidates for redemption yet."

She gives a sad and guilty sigh.

"So far, I haven't saved anyone. Well, maybe that's too harsh. There's some students I've helped push towards their Destiny. One potential sorcerer who went back home to Oregon after I stole his car and broke his legs. So he never sold his soul, and I think some angels back in Oregon are looking into getting him as a Soldier of Heaven. But there's been five Hellsworn I offered redemption to... I sent them to Hell. My skills from The War aren't forgotten."

With a self-deprecating smirk, she wipes away a tear. "I know it's better than leaving them to hurt others, but it still hurts. Our Lady has consoled me about it. The practicality of it, but it's still hard. To do some more solid good, maybe I'll see if Kaylee wants to hang tomorrow."

Astarieth, Judgement

The slick smile vanishes and is replaced by a more somber one at Tommy's rebuke. Still a slight smile, though.

"Sure, man. We can respect each other. To be honest, we're both low men on the totem pole. But it's nice to make some money, or not have as much taken, right? See you around."

Show
    He does have more respect for you now after calling him on that. A touch annoyed, but more respect. And he hopes you'll come to respect him for his skills.

He is being truthful in saying you're both low men, but he definitely think he's higher in importance and organization than you. But you get the sense he knows something of the inner Burnt hierarchy and thinks he's more important than most of the gangsters or those they manipulate.

He figures you are as motivated by money as he is.

He leaves without any fuss, and gives a thumbs-up to the cops. The cops disperse after he turns the corner. The pictures are much as Astarieth expects.

Joanna responds after a minute: "Grainy. Thank you. Setting up my office going well. Dinner sounds nice. You can choose time and place, but somewhere nice please."

After five minutes, you receive a phone call from Adewale.
    "This is Adam Walker, district attorney. I heard you had a legal issue? Please note that while I have no reason to suspect this phone is compromised, I cannot guarantee absolute privacy. However, we should be able to talk fairly freely."

Spoiler
    Show
    we can timeskip the conversations. I'll see how DoctorFaust responds and then write-up a timeskip thing. I just thought I'd write up Adewale's opening line.

17. - Top - End - #167

RedKnightGirl

tongue Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler: summary
    Show
    Try to comfort Mary a bit, and ask if she would be open to the idea of me helping out with Destiny a little. I'm curious about Kaylee's potential and Origenus seems to have a good way to spot Soldiers and help mundanes. Comment that it also sounds like she's worried because she thinks I'm defenceless, rather than persuasive. Ask if it would put her at ease if we started agreeing on certain safety limits for me, like I only potentially kiss an impudite today. Nice and safe! Text Brittany at the end asking how's the emergency going.

Carol felt her legs tuck a little closer under her chair when Mary mentioned how she dealt with one of the misguided students, lips pursed. She almost wondered why the Ofanite hadn't joined Michael instead, given her talent, except for how deeply the hurt at not redirecting others on a soul level weren't etched into her voice and face. Carol chanced placing her hand comfortingly on Sherlock's shoulder.

It sounds really disappointing, even frustrating, to meet six stubborn souls. But at least you kicked open the door for other angels to help the Oregon guy. And even if there's been five Hellsworn that turned down the gift, we don't control who wants a better life, right? Not everyone can be as strong as you, Mary. It's impossible to say how many people you've protected just by stopping them from going further.” Replacing her hand in her lap soon after, she stuck the half eaten and rewrapped cheeseburger back into the brown paper bag.

You've already done solid good, I think. Plus Origenus and you have a good operation going. Ideal for finding Soldiers at best, or helping our little mundanes at worse. How would you feel about me helping out on the Destiny front? I'm pretty curious about Kaylee's potential. Unknowingly encountered a ton of celestials, one of the few humans directly connected to a noted area, gave a powerful gift without even realizing it. There could be something there.

Carol stared wistfully off through the wind-shield, the thought they had found their future Soldier of a Redemption Tether on the very first day in the Pentagram taking her away. She sighed dreamily.

Anyway, between the bakery, the supermarket, and the dive bar, it has been a pretty fun morning.” She cleared her throat. “Kinda a shame a certain someone sounded less like she imagined my Hangman journalism was deftly weaving resonance, pizazz and role together in a dazzling narrative, and more like she spotted a beloved hamster naively rolling her plastic bubble straight into a cage full of alley strays.

Hazel eyes rolled amusedly. “The reality probably had more catty noises, though. Flavius is not a fan of the Impudite. To put you at ease in the future, should we agree on certain limits? Like, say, the farthest I'll go for the truth tonight is shotgun kissing Brittany. But certainly no cigarette burn foreplay or indulging her smoking fetish until she all but loves the idea of coming over to our side. Nice and safe. But only if you insist, of course. Your thoughts?

The topic of the Burnt now stoked in her mind, Carol found herself texting a message to her current window into the Fire gang's operations.

Spoiler: text Brittany
    Show
    Hi, it's me from the bar. You left when our interview was getting interesting. How's your emergency going? Please ask if you need a little help.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-05-08 at 07:02 AM.

18. - Top - End - #168

Inian takes the offered seat and outlines out his basic offer. Essentially he wants designs for prints and other merchandise since everything he has currently is very outdated in terms of the art world. The Angel is looking for a few smaller designs or one larger one, either to use under license or to purchase outright. He provides sketches of his mask and tights designs and explains the heel character he plays for inspiration, but otherwise is willing to leave all the details up to Jason.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

19. - Top - End - #169
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Mary smiles but shakes her head about Carol helping at the university. "I appreciate the offer, but between Origenius and I, we should have it covered. If we don't, that's on us. I know Our Lady assigned you here to look into demons, and we're pretty sure they aren't active around the Tether of Destiny. Well, maybe that Fire shedite is... but we'll look into that, too, now that we know about him."

When conversation comes back to the Burnt, Mary looks a bit surprised at Carol's words, but gives a chuckle in the end.

"You are stronger than I thought. I'm used to thinking of things in more martial terms. But... well, you can definitely handle your own. I'm sorry if I acted otherwise earlier.
    "I'd advise against getting too close to Brittany, but she's your in. I guess do what you think is best, but keep on eye if you feel too friendly towards her.
    "And if Flavius is against her, politically, Trip probably is, too. From what I could tell ten years ago, most of the Fire demons did their own thing and only loosely worked together. To say they ran a gang would be overstatement. They've certainly changed. Maybe it's working a change for the better in Brinniah."

Brittany sends a text back in a couple minutes.
    "Still in a boring meeting. Hoping to show you what you asked for tonight."

Spoiler: time skip
    Show
    Unless anything else big planned, there's a conversation with Brittany over some details, but the jist of it is meeting at the Gravel Pits at 10 to watch some fights, then the party. She'll pick you up if you want.

Mary does text you an hour later saying a robin is near the bakery now

Inian, War

Jason at first looks a bit frustrated at such mercantile and uninspired art, but his aloofness (or just a-hole-ishness) vanishes after a little talking. In the end, he gives some good ideas, enjoys the conversation, and agrees on a fair price. His little brother looks rather impressed and thinking it cool that his brother is working with a luchador instead of his normal "stupid, depressing junk".

Spoiler: time skip
    Show

You get contacted by Jerechial that Ramiel's attuned are being watched, but the shedite hasn't moved yet. Jerechial suggests you head to the Gravel Pits tonight in case there's any heat or activity there.

You spent 2 essence going celestial. You'd have the chance to regain 1 via the rite of martial training for a couple hours.

For Astarieth

Spoiler: talk with Adewale
    Show

Adewale sincerely thanks you for asking and getting his opinion, but notes that both you and the Triad are allowed to operate independently by Lord Dominic. He's actually not being condescending in saying that, but sincerely pointing it out in a blunt way that only works well with other seraphs.

He's hesitant to promise forces against fighting the demon, but he'll come if he can and thinks it wise. Rezzial has already agreed to Jerechial's request. He does not think Fortisimos will come, but will ask. (He seems a touch annoyed Jerechial asked Rezzial directly without consulting Adewale, and you get the idea Jerechial asked Fortisimos but already got a no.)

As long as you can maintain your Role and keep the death relatively quiet (both in the mundane sense of the news of a kid dying and in the celestial sense), he sees no problem with killing the demon. He advises to wait until the shedite is down, as the shedite might go into hiding if its ally dies. Jerechial's plan to capture it hinges on the shedite possessing some of Ramiel's people.

You also learn that Gaspariel is already watching Ramiel's parents and girlfriend. Medim and her husband are gearing up the Commune's fighting forces should something heavy happen in the near future. (Not related to killing the demons, but just based on more active demon action overall: Stone wants its people ready if needed.) Adewale is relieved Gaspariel is being so actively defensive, but worried about the Commune potentially acting illegally.

If you don't plan anything violent with the Factions demon and just pay him off, I can summarize how that scene will go and likely what intel you'd get from Resonance on him. If you want more action in the scene, let me know.

The rest of your business day goes smoothly, as does dinner with Joanna goes smoothly.

20. - Top - End - #170

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

After dealing with the lawyer, a conversation with Adewale is like listening to Vivaldi. Astarieth nods into the phone as they discuss strategy. After Adewale offers his recommendations, Astarieth responds simply "Roger. I know I can go independently as needed, but I'll continue to coordinate with you prior. Boss doesn't need us working at cross purposes."

And then he signs off and goes to the ATM machine. A few minutes later and he's got a nice courier envelope for the a***le demon that he's waiting for the right time to kill. He won't be doing that tonight - priority is the Shedim - but as soon as he can...

He also pulls a little extra money out for the evening's entertainment at the gravel pits.

Spoiler: Interaction with the demon
    Show
    No need to RP this, unless you choose to. Tommy will ask the following questions:

"Is your name Francis Malackey?"

"Did you ask Sarah Thompson to pay you money?"

"I have the money here. Are you going to permanently delete all copies of the pictures? Show me. Are these all the copies you know of?"

"Does anyone else know about these? Have you told anyone else your plans?"

"Do you intend to take any further action against the Thompson family or their interests?"

Resonance roll: (1d6)[3](1d6)[2] Check Digit: (1d6)[6] +3 (+4 if he can wrangle an opportunity to touch the kid while handing over the envelope).
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-05-09 at 02:16 PM.

21. - Top - End - #171

RedKnightGirl

Carol waved off the apology easily. “You were worried for my safety; way more focused on my well-being than putting me down, or pulling rank. It's not a thing. But you're right about Brittany. On that level, if I ever act weird around you, and you know I've been around her or Rourke, I'd understand if you temporarily restrained me or something. Better you than one of the Triad, right?” Feeling the buzz of the phone in her trousers, she quickly scanned the text Brittany sent, before sharing it. “You're onto something about the the Fire gang, too. Both the internal politics, and their sudden organisation. Almost immediately before leaving, Brittany mentioned having to go meet with someone named Gary. Maybe a cover name for a celestial named Garus? Anyway, we both saw Flavius and Brittany sprint off, at the same time, for what could easily be the same place. If this meeting is big enough to drag them both away, chances are this Garus is higher still.

Spoiler: timeskip
    Show
    Text Inian the details about where the Gravel Pits is occurring, and ask for a pick up by Brittany. More time attempting to Mercurian resonance out her life story / ask questions.

Should I roll ahead of time? Or wait until the scene?
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-05-09 at 05:35 AM.

22. - Top - End - #172

Once their conversation concludes, Inian thanks Jason for hearing out his offer despite it being for a commercial product and gives him his phone number if he ever needs to talk. He then goes out into the woods and spends the next couple of hours practicing fighting by beating up trees with his bare hands.

Spoiler: Texts
    Show
    To Mary: "I'm up for one with you and Carol tomorrow. Probably a little busy today. I'm going to the Pits later, as is Tommy."
    To Jerechial: "Thanks for moving so quickly. Going to the Pits was already my plan and I'll be sure to keep an eye out."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

23. - Top - End - #173
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: Note for Inian and Astarieth
    Show

While the hours pass, Jerechial drops by for a moment to talk with Astarieth and Inian individually (e.g., at separae times). The following angels are "in" for attacking the shedite, assuming nothing more urgent interferes at the moment: Jerechial, Rezzial, Valufiel, Gaspariel, Medim, Andreson, Inian, Astarieth

Origenus, Frez, and Adewale are "maybes", depending on their task at the time. Ramiel's job will be to take the human to safety, as Jerechial can't risk any Soldiers nearby lest the demon possess them. Jerechial hasn't been able to reach Melektas or Manakel to get their input.

He also asks that you not mention any details to Camael or Mary, as Redemption might feel obligated to interfere with a celestial death. And it'd be dissonant for them to help, anyway.

Of the other angels, he didn't even ask Daisy because of course Flowers can't help, and Fortisimos said no.

Spoiler: Timeskip Astarieth
    Show

The demon-teenager answers the door. You can see an older man drinking beer and watching wrestling on TV through a slight opening in another door. After the demon opens, the man yells out, "Hey, get the door, will ya?" He grimaces, shouts back, "I got it, dad!" You hear a little grumbling like, "...had to take off work and kid doesn't even..."

He looks up at you a bit confused and apologetic. "Sorry about dad. Doesn't get paid leave, so picking me up from school... well, and he's worried about me. But, yeah, I'm Francis."

At the question, his demeanor shifts to more serious, a touch of suppressed anger. If he weren't a demon, you'd suspect he was sincerely angry at the Thompson kid.
    "Oh... she told you? Well, not much reason in lying. Yeah. Did she tell you how her daughter egged on my friend, that he snapped and brought a rifle to school this morning?"

"You--you have it? Huh. Well, sure. I'll show you, and delete them."

The pictures show a teenage girl in a cheerleader outfit with an obviously older man who is all-muscles, shaved head, wearing just blue jeans. He has a large burnscar on his left cheek, and several smaller scars on his chest and arms. It starts with them kissing and then goes on to far more action and far less clothes. In what looks to be a dirty bathroom, of all places.
    Through it all, the man looks rather bored.

He goes on to tell you he showed it to his friends, but only those who joined in the shooting. He thought they were joking -- he starts fake-crying a bit here.

"And further action? ...no. I'd like to, to be honest, but not really much point."

The Truth: He is telling the truth about his dad's situation with work, and oddly that his father is concerned about him. Between that and latter questions, you get the sense that the dad knows something is up, but doesn't know his kid's a demon. Not certain, but you get that feeling.

He's also honest about deleting the pictures. He has backups on his computer, but he'll delete them, too. (TRUTH: he's not tech savvy enough to know to delete the memory elements afterwards to prevent recovery, but if you tell him to, he'll agree.) And he would like to ruin the Thompsons -- he hoped the mom would show and he could use his powers to make her hate her daughter -- but he's worried the mom might be more connected than he thought since you showed up instead, and he doesn't want another complication by messing with an unknown factor.

As noted in OOC, the dad knows about the pictures, too, as do the shooters, and the dad has an idea about the blackmail (not the details, but an idea).

Spoiler: if you ask who is that man
    Show

Francis says, "I'm not telling. He might kill me if I brought him trouble."
    Which rings true. Francis has no intention of revealing that person's identity, and definitely think he's strong enough to send Francis into Trauma.

Spoiler: timeskip Inian
    Show

You recover 1 essence via training.

Assuming you arrive around 9 or so to get into the fights, but it goes smoothly.

Spoiler: timeskip Camael
    Show

Mary doesn't know of any 'Gary'. Could be a new demon, a new vessel's name, or just a high-ranking human.

Brittany picks you up in a motorcycle at 9 pm, and seems to enjoy having you hold on close as she drives you to the Pits. She also falls under your charms. The first while at the Gravel Pits is spent mostly hanging out, drinking, eating, with sarcastic comments about others.

Spoiler: Mecurian Resonance
    Show

1 - she thinks highly of herself, and that she deserves better than she gets. But she respects those more powerful than herself, out of a mix of fear, wanting to gain power by working with them, and admitting they could crush her
    2 - most think she's a capable and fierce person, and fun to be around. Some of the Burnt look down on her (and her girls) as doing easy work instead of the harder stuff of pushing drugs or fighting, but they know she can handle herself. She's respected by her working girls and the few men who have tried to cross them know to fear and respect her.
    3 - known as Brittany, as well as some slurs from her occupation. She enjoys good food, booze, drugs, and fun with men and women. And burning people--it's like a ecstatic enjoyment of Fire, to see someone in agony from fire.
    4/5 - she's loyal to her boss, mostly because he's a means to power, and her Boss, because he's fire! She despises some of the Burnt who resent her boss (lower-case 'b'), including Trip and Flavius, but she doesn't care a lot about them: they're weak and petty, not worth her time. She views most humans as chaff for the fire. She'll use her girls, the Burnt, etc. as fuel for herself -- and she loves humans like a farmer might love his herd, so she's happy to let them enjoy it even, sure -- but in the end, Belial will burn everything.
    You see a spark of real interest in Carol. She's noticed Carol has resisted her charms, and hopes she's a prospective Soldier. Recruiting a Soldier would get her in good with her Boss, and Carol is attractive and hungry.
    6 - power-hungry, selfish, ready (no, wanting) to burn others to get ahead. That sums up Brinniah's existance. She was created and thrown into Pentagram about 50 years ago to help the Fire forces there. As an Impudite, she was mostly put down. You can't even burn people to death! But she found ways to enjoy things, and eventually earned her own. When the Tether formed, she supported the Seneschal and gained more favor and honor. She honestly believes everything will burn, and she just wants to help most of it burn before she, like all others, are consumed by Belial's flame.

The Gravel Pits, 10 pm

Inian has been able to get himself into the fights, if desired. (The first few are against some people he can easily put down, so no need to roll.) You get a run down of the rules, but it's basically each fight is to when someone yields or is unconscious. Killing draws cops, so don't do it, or, if it happens on accident, make a good show so the rich viewers think it's worth covering up.
    Astarieth blends in rather well and can make a good sum betting on Inian.
    Some other Burnt have congregated with Brinniah, as well as some of her girls (who look like they're also snagging clients), so Carol is having a good time.

As the fights start, Brinniah points out a few Burnt who are particapting, but says the main reason they are here is to see Neal. She pronounces it oddly as first, as two sounds, N'eal, then just like the normal name. He's a skinheaded muscular beast, over six feet, scarred and with a burnscar on his cheek. Astarieth recognizes him as the man who was consorting with the Thompson girl.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    I'm not expecting much from your next IC post. Just note if do anything of import during the fights, or if Inian wins a few.

Also, I realized I might have timed things so that it's a bit more boring for at least one of you for a few posts. If it turns out like that, I apologize. But we'll see!

EDIT: to clarify, Neal and the other fighters are far away from Brittany and Carol (and Astarieth). Within line of sight, but they're talking and posturing with fighters, not near the observers.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-13 at 07:42 PM.

24. - Top - End - #174

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Spoiler: Jerechial
    Show
    Astarieth acknowledges the team and the plan, and is ready to go. Astarieth wants to know who's responsible for getting the Shedim to the Howitzer - is that Gaspariel's job, or will they figure it out at the moment of

Spoiler: Side scene with extortion
    Show
    Gonna PM you about this one.

Tommy shows up in a hoodie and jeans, normal outfits, trying to make little impression. He plays with the bookies, putting bets on Inian for his rounds, and losing a couple bets on purpose so as not to arouse suspicion. He also pumps the bookies for information on the other fighters. "What do you know about that big, burned looking guy? What kinda odds you gonna give me on him? He a gang banger? Can you pay the odds if I put a grand on him to go down?"

Spoiler: Resonance/approach
    Show
    Tommy's got moderate goals for money - he'd like to get some more working capital, but it's not worth it to try and milk it for too much. Tommy will bet on fights Neal will clearly win, but won't bet on an Inian/Neal fight if it comes up and will take the opportunity to pump the bookies for as much information as he can get.

Resonance: (1d6)[5](1d6)[2] Check digit: (1d6)[3] +3
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-05-14 at 09:00 PM.

25. - Top - End - #175

Inian arrives at 9 wearing a random mask he found buried under junk in his car and enters the fights. He breezes through the first few rounds of fights by going for basic chokeholds right out of the gate. By the time the other Angels have arrived and started mingling, he's getting a little bored with the quality of the fighters put up against him.

In between bouts, he walks over to one of the organizers, and says, "Look, are you just setting me up with tomato cans? Because I can understand if you are, but I'm here to fight for real. If you've got anyone harder, I want them in my next fight."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

26. - Top - End - #176
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: OOC
    Show

To try to keep things interesting for all involved, I'm going to do a touch of being at different times.

Also, in case any of you want to Sing (definitely not recommended): if you are in a crowd, it can be hard for someone to pinpoint exactly who made the noise, especially if they aren't very close. But, between echoes and how folk might respond to a screaming Burnt, it's probably best not to Sing unless you need to.
    But just noting you probably could discretely if you want to.

I'm not really expecting any Song use, but felt like I should note that.

Spoiler: on the shedite kill
    Show

To answer robnar's question for Jerechial: basically Gaspariel's job, with Ramiel to assist if he's nearby. Some of Gaspariel's and Jerechial's in-the-know humans are staying nearby. Hope is for Gaspariel and the Soldiers/servants to rush in, KO the possessed, then rush them to the Tether of The Sword. Mundanely, it'll look like a strange, rushed kidnapping, but hopefully nobody will see it. Just waiting to see the shedite enter someone or the humans act oddly enough they're pretty sure they're possessed.

After the few opening rounds, both Inian and Neal have won all their matches. Inian with finesse and lack of true injury to his foes, Neal with his opponents left bloody but alive. Both are drawing cheers and attention from the crowd. Some of Neal's fans wear symbols of the voodoo Loa, especially Baron Samedi and Santa Muerte.

Astarieth, Judgement

The betting goes well. The bookie laughs at the question about the big guy.
    "That guy? Neal. And you didn't hear it from me, but he's one of the leutenants in the Burnt. ...you really expect him to go down? He killed someone his first night here, and hasn't lost since... but, yeah, I'll give you double your money if he wins."

Show

The person is named Neal (N'eal, but most everyone mispronounces it) and he is a high-ranked member of the Burnt, one of those directly under its leader.

He actually killed three people his first night here, but only one in the fights. The other two were people he wanted to kill in the fights, but tracked them down later that night.

The bookie doesn't believe Neal will lose, but is willing to take the bet, only a little concerned that this is the Burnt trying to scam him by having Neal throw a match. But, well, better to be scammed a bit than literally burned.

Inian, War

The organizer gives a smile. "Yeah, I guess we were testing you out a bit to start. Though some of those guys were the good ones.
    You want a real fight? How about that monster over there?"

He's gesturing towards Neal, who has just grabbed his opponent and slammed his head down into the ground, leaving a bloody smear on one cheek and a few teeth on the floor.

---
    Assuming you accept...
    ---

The crowd is cheering as the two best fighters that night enter against each other.

Neal, for all the brutality, looks at you with an inquisitive eye and a touch of respect. Loud enough for you to hear, but not for most due to the roar of the crowd, he says, "I have watched you fight. Strength, and grace, but you avoid drawing blood and death. Why?" More loudly, so he can be heard, he roars, "I shall make your blood a sacrifice. Come, let us pray together."

27. - Top - End - #177

RedKnightGirl

Lightbulb Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Carol waited for her pick up outside the university gates, alone. Hair down and dark red lipstick on, she trusted the black blazer worn open to reveal a grey top and dark miniskirt matched the henchman chic she was going for. A thrill shot through her when her date appeared on a motorcycle. She comfortably wrapped her arms around the firebrand when she arrived, and nestled against Brittany's back easily. Faces of respect and elation and emptiness from employees and clients flooded the Mercurian's mind, chased by looks of horror and hatred and fear as grown men shrieked helplessly as they burned alive. The Symphony was clear how Brinnah took her pleasure.

I might have my hands full with this one...

The images of what the Impudite liked and thoughts of what she wanted out of Carol were louder than the roar of the engine, felt deeper than the bumps in the road. The student didn't notice the Gravel Pits until they stopped. She shared her first hour indulging in sarcasm and food among the Burnt, but kept drinks and laughter innocent. It was best to stay lucid around so many gang members. Her own introductions light, and questions mild, throughout she still tried to ferret out who the other Burnt called boss. She also chatted to and occasionally observed the girls under the Impudite's rule. All of the mundane humans would have been victims of artificially inflicted emotions, and stolen essence, but she tried to pinpoint who wanted out, even despite the burden of poverty and subtle charms.

You've built a really motivated team, Brittany.” Carol peered at them from besides Brittany, watching as a latina entranced an older client, even here, so close to bloodsports. The tension only heightened their allure, rather than diminish it. “Who's your favourite so far, and who isn't pulling her weight? Your standards deserve respect. I could try motivating her to do better by you,” she suggested.

When a murmur of interest rippled through the crowd, Carol turned with them towards the assembled fighters, a pleasant smile hiding her boredom. Adrian alone had the charisma and skill to win minds and hearts through combat, whereas all she had were words, and Inian was unstoppable besides. He'll win. This was until Brittany pointed out a scarred and powerfully built mound of muscle that could only have been N'eal. She did a double take at him, her mouth dry, the unmistakeable Burnt titan a towering pillar of doubt in her mind. But her wits returned soon, on seeing the fight might be close after all.

You okay with me placing bets on our champ? I'll split any profits I make with you. See if I can't make you more than one of your top girls tonight.

Spoiler: vague actions
    Show

Trying to mingle and eventually figure out over the first hour (9-10pm) who might be their boss (lower case b). See if the name Gary/Garus pops up again, or not. Also, for the escorts, try to subtly figure out if there's anyone that doesn't seem a good fit/wants out. I'm not sure how likely it is any of them are aware enough to see past the whole Charm & Essence Steal routine that probably happens everyday, but ask just in case? Brittany did say money, shelter, drugs and women were available if you did well by the gang, so there's one obvious way at least.

On that level, I asked Brittany who her favourite -employee- might be, and who isn't quite at her standard. Also asked if I start placing bets on Neal, would she be interested in splitting any profits I make (so, my money betting on the Burnt champ, but if he actually wins a match, split those winnings with Brittany).

So I'm still trying to get more information, and still trying to gain greater trust in the Burnt.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-05-16 at 08:03 AM.

28. - Top - End - #178

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Astarieth smiles at the bookie. "Five bones on the Luchador. I'll take them odds." ($500)

I don't bet against my team.

29. - Top - End - #179

Inian looks the other man up and down, and shrugs. "Yeah, sure. I'll take him. What's the cut if I win?"

Re-entering the pit for probably the last time this night, Inian approaches the other man slowly with his center of mass down low. He's confident in his own abilities, but given that Neal had his name pronounced suspiciously like an Angel's, he suspects that he's facing another one of the Fallen.

"I like to fight, sure, but that doesn't mean I like to hurt people more than I have to," Inian replies at a similar volume. Throwing back his head, he yells, "Goddamn! I'm too hot to handle and too cold to hold, and I ambetter than you! So come get some."

He charges forward and grabs at Neal's arm, beginning the process of wrenching it out of its socket.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fight:(3d6)[3][2][3](8) CD+4 Damage

I have a quote!
    I like you.

30. - Top - End - #180
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: rolling for Round 1
    Show

I'm rolling the combat rounds before posting my response. Will edit in full stuff below.
    Neal seems surprised at Inian's speed, but not, like, surprise round surprised.

Neal's Dodge (3d6)[5][2][5](12) --actually, for Round 1, I'm gonna say Neal's arrogance is such he gets a strong penalty to his dodge. He was not expected an eager (or Ofanite-of-War-empowered speed) opponent.
    Neal's attack (3d6)[5][4][5](14)
    Inian's Dodge (3d6)[2][6][4](12)

Spoiler: betting
    Show

Feel free for Astarieth and Camael to have placed some bets on rounds before the big one between Inian and Neal.

Also, I originally named Neal "Dangreal", but I thought the idea of a demon named "N'eal" and annoyed at having a relatively lame name to mortals was funny. If Camael gets a Resonance on him, one detail she could spot is he doesn't like his name in this modern age.
    No offense meant if any of you are named Neal.

For Inian's cut, I'm assuming that'd decent. But, basically, all of you should have some good money by making sound bets on celestials by the time the night is through.

Inian, War

The organizer gives a pleased laugh at Inian's confidence. "For that guy... with the odds we're offering, we'll make a killing if you take him down. 20% extra."

---

Surprised at Inian's speed, Neal almost doesn't even try to dodge. He shifts slightly, disrupting the full grab Inian makes, but Inian still manages to give a forceful tug on the shoulder. But what would normally dislocate or separate the shoulder of a mortal simply gives a slight pop as you feel the joints pull and muscles slightly tear.

Neal smiles, a dark smile. "Sacrifice!" he screams, as he attempts to smash his fist into Inian's chest. But Inian manages to swerve to avoid most of the force. It does not escape him that the full force of the attack would have slain most mortals.

Spoiler: results
    Show

Neal takes most of the damage, due to his arrogance.
    Inian takes 4 damage.

Although in-character you just deduce he is strong, I'll tell you his attack damage is 1d6+6 since you have the data to calculate that yourself. So he's a little stronger than Inian. He does seem slower, so weaker dodge.

Your Dodge TN is 10 Agility + 4 Dodge, so +2 bonus to dodging. I factored that in above. Please include a ROLL for your dodges in your next post.

Also, this will count as "Dueling with a Diabolical" Rite to recover 1 essence.

Astarieth, Judgement

The bookie smiles and jots down the bet.

All in all, looks to be a productive night. Though the first moves by this Neal fellow show Inian might have a real fight on his hands.

Spoiler: side scene with demon / habblalah question
    Show

Sorry I forgot this at first!

The demon doesn't delete the stuff before payment. It'd be reasonable for you to insist you see him delete it post-payment, but your Resonance shows he plans to.

And, yes, habbalah are terrifying! I find them and balseraphs the most scary.
    You feel the emotion immediately and it is overpowering, but I'd give some leeway on how strongly you react. There's also a time duration, but it can be hours!
    I also am tweaking it to make it Will negate instead of Will resist, if the emotional manipulation is basically a "save-or-die" effect (not that it actually kills you, but will either deactivate you terribly or let them capture and kill you. Maybe also if it would be dissonant. Like, if he made you enraged at his father such that you killed him--that's dissonant for Judgement since it's an unjust punishment.)
    So, when and if a habbalah is messing with a PC, I plan to really read through the habbalah rules in detail and find a fair way of handling. But you are correct to fear them.

Also, from something he says, you get the sense that it's not truly the girl doing those things with Neal. Rather, she's possessed by the shedite of Factions during it. (Technically, the shedite is making her choose to do it... but, yeah, shedites and will manipulation are strange.)

Camael, Redemption

Brittany gave Carol a long and approving look-over while picking her up.

As a Mecurian, the hour of fun goes pretty well, even if most the company is likely hell bound. Brittany actually encourages Carol's relative abstinence from stronger drink and drugs, glowering to silence those who push her to try some harder drugs. It seems she wants Carol lucid as well.

"My favorite? Oh, probably Gillian. Gilly-girl. Real pretty, knows how to handle the men who get too handsy or cheap. And she-- well, you'll know more soon enough, sweets.
    "But Kel." Brittany sighs playfully, motioning to someone who looks hung over and flirting too strongly with an old business man. "She tries, but just doesn't have it in her. Addict. Joined my crew because she just showed up one night offering to do anything to get money for her habit. We had to give her a beating for being on our turf, but then gave her a job." Brittany takes a deep drag on her cigarette and twirls it. "Had to stick a few of these in her to keep her doing her rounds."

At that vile statement, Brittany is looking Carol straight in the eyes, as if trying to read how she feels about cigarette burns as encouragement. You definitely get the feeling she is testing your true feelings.

Spoiler: redemption candidates
    Show

The horrors seen in Brinniah aren't uncommon for demons (especially demons of more violent Superiors). I just wanted to be clear she's still a redemption candidate.

Actually, at first she wasn't on my list of "likely redemption candidates", but I tweaked her personality a little bit to give you a better in. From Metanoia's lessons, you'd know that any sort of selflessness is a seed. She at least wants her girls to be happy, even if it's so they're better pets. She at least looks to something beyond herself, even if it's a nihilistic and violent adoration of Belial. That might not look like much, but it's something.

Also know that most demons are told Redemption is a lie and a myth. That's standard propaganda from Asmodeus and others. They've probably been lied to that Metanoia and Novalis pretend to be nice, but really kill demons or harvest their Forces to make similar angels.
    Most, though, see it as lies and believe Redemption is probably possible, but it's likely to be fatal. Which sadly is true, as it takes some real selflessness to survive, and demons are inherently selfish.

At the sight of Neal, Brittany laughs, "Yeah, vote on him. I know I'm making money as he does his thing tonight. Heh, and if you want a contest with Gilly-girl for profits... well, that is interesting. Wanting to get ahead already, huh?"

Her smile is approving and hungry, like an expanding fire.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-18 at 09:09 AM.