New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161718 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #211
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler: OOC all
    Show
    I wasn't planning on a rescue scene, but FYI that it's not suicide as long as it's planned well. Astarieth and Inian together are tough, and with Jerechial could do a lot of damage, and it's not like Fire is cohesive force. I figured Manakel would die, but I'm fine with y'all taking it another direction. I can see a few ways this scene could go, with several of them being a big success for the angels.

In other words, y'all are way off the rails of what I planned, but it's fun and cool

Inian and Astarieth

As Inian is talking to the thankful ref, and as Astarieth exits the room from the new ally, they each receive a text with dreadful news from the Mecurian of Redemption.
    As well as one from Jerechial: "En route to Pits. Unsure of best action to take. Will follow Noise if hear any. We should save M if possible, but not worth all of us dying."

Spoiler: your obligations
    Show

As a Servitor of War, Inian has no reason to think Michael would expect him to help. Jerechial would know this and while he'd like help, he'd begrudgingly accept War not saving a Judgement Servitor in a dire situation.
    On the other hand, that's a lot of demons you could help kill.

As a fellow Servitor of Judgement, Astarieth should help if possible. But he knows Lord Dominic sent each of them there with individual orders and that following those orders are the primary thing. So saving Manakel would be good, but not if it meant compromising everything else.

In other (more OOC) words: you are welcome to help or not help, and think your Superior would understand either way.

Camael

A quick response from Jerechial: "OK. Planning. Be safe."

Spoiler
    Show
    No interruption on getting back to Brittany, but I'll write a fuller post on Monday. Just wanted to get the other players to know they got the texts.
    Also, "throw a FT at Gillian"? I don't follow what that means, but could just be I'm a bit speed-reading.

(3d6)[5][3][1](9)
    edit: Oh, silly Manakel, what a lousy Resonance roll on Camael...
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-05-30 at 09:24 PM.

2. - Top - End - #212
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Tommy listens to the sorcerer's explanation of his power, and simply nods. "That's good. We'll talk tomorrow." Then he leaves the room with the sorcerer, working through options for how to deal with this new wrinkle in the situation. He pulls out his phone with the intention to text Joanna, and as he's typing the text Carol's message arrives.

Well. F**k.

Without even thinking he switches the text to Carol. <Drop pin or text picture if you can. Trying to find it. Good luck.>

He walks quickly out of the meeting place, trying to gauge by the flow of traffic and his knowledge of the layout where the Burnt might be. He keeps half an eye out for one of the bookies that owe him money - if anyone would know where the afterparty is, it would be them.

Then he texts Adewale. <Burnt plan to murder Evan Grant tonight at Gravel Pits. Leader and several heavy hitters present. Moving to see what I can do. Is it wise to have the cops break this up?> If Tommy can present evidence of an abducted police officer, the cops will have to act, no matter how corrupt they are. But Tommy doesn't know the Burnt well enough to know if that will lead to a bloodbath.

3. - Top - End - #213
    Firbolg in the Playground

Inian stands over Neal's corpse, sweat pouring off of his body, and looks at the referee skeptically. "I show up as a nobody in a mask, kill one of their men, and they want to offer me a job? I'll pass. Just give me the cut that the organizer promised me."

He feels his phone buzz in his pocket and pulls it out. Inian reads the text Carol sent, and in a moment, a plan forms. He gestures the referee back and says, "Actually, I changed my mind. Turns out I've got a few extra bills this month. I'll talk to them. I'm especially interested if any of them are part of the Burnt."
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

4. - Top - End - #214
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

No immediate response from Adewale.

There's plenty of thug-like people at the Pits, but it's hard to tell who is Burnt and who is just trying to look tough. However, fortune favors the just. One of the bookies (the one who owes you a good bit of money for your bet against Neal) is arguing with none than other Harold Rickman, lawyer to the sleaze. You can't quite make out the details over the crowd, but you know it's likely the lawyer or a bookie taking bets like that know what's going on.

Then, a phone call, not from the Seraph but from the Malakite of Judgement, Rezzial.
    "Adam called me. If you call for backup, someone would likely tip off the Burnt. Not sure if that'd mean they move him or kill him quick. If you plan a rescue, I can be there in the time a Song takes."

Inian, War

The ref gives a nervous laugh at the job offer rejection, then hands Inian a stack of bills. "Sure, man. And, hey, thanks for saving my neck back there. If you need a job-" He pulls out a card with the name 'Joe' and a number. "Give me a call."

Joe quickly comes to Inian's call. "Whoa, man. Um, I meant the VIP seats, and the Burnt aren't welcome there. But if you really want to talk to the Burnt, I heard about an afterparty that Neal was gonna be at. Not sure how happy they'd be to see you, but I can at least direct you to the door. Just don't tell 'em I sent you."

Camael, Redemption

I'm unsure if I should expect any interruption. If there isn't one, presume I went straight back to Brittany and (without anything bigger happening) asked her to tell me more about Fire, angling at the question of who their main enemy might be. Even if we just gloss over it, this way I might have more leeway to bring it up in conversation without it being too obvious some of it was known before today.

Also intend to throw a FT at Gillian, but that strikes me as the kind of thing I should write out, not assume.
    As you near the alcove, you overhear argument between Brittany and Gillian. "Gillian, you are-" "Brittany, you don't know this girl! Just because she's a good lay doesn't mean she should be here. How have you vetted--" Gillian's voice is cut off by the loud clap of a slap and a slight ripple of Noise. With a dark and quiet tone, Brittany ends the conversation: "Don't forget your place, human. I trust Carol, and that's all you need to know." And, with that, Gillian leaves the alcove, glaring at Carol as a red handprint shows strongly on her cheek.

Brittany's face shifts from glowering to happy at seeing Carol return. "Touched up your make-up. Aww... And, hey, don't worry about Gilly-girl. She's just a little jealous."
    At the question, she smirks, "Our main enemy? Well, there's angels and Heaven, including a blasphemous angel that thinks she's Fire. But that's kinda big picture. And I won't lie to you: demons are demons. There's politics and in-fighting. We serve Fire Himself, but there's other Princes. Stupid old pansy of Lust has a strong hold in this city. Now I enjoy the vice, as you know very well, but it's not something to base your whole reality on. Shallow. No real heat. But you don't need to worry yourself about that. Just stick close to me and observe, learn, enjoy."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-06-01 at 08:07 AM.

5. - Top - End - #215
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Thumbs up Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Spoiler: Text to Astarieth/Inian/Jerechial
    Show

A screenshot of the pin location on a map is sent to the trio, the latitude and longitude clear. Below are the words:

Fire Seneschal only real threat atm, Calabite and Shedite near?

Mohawk Djinn and Redhead Impudite all talk. Luck.

Spoiler: Manakel resonance, check digit 1
    Show

1 In a broad and general fashion, what is the target's closest emotional state (harried, peaceful, sluggish, melancholy, etc)?

Broadly speaking, Camael is concerned.

Right after finishing her make up, Carol fished out her android phone for its vibration in her breast pocket. A location pin was sent to the disjointed angel trio moments later. With that, she exited the bathroom. She again ignored the supposed Soldier of God on her strut back to her girlfriend. There was no easy way to hint they would either give up Manakel entirely to attack the undermanned Fire Tether, or hit the workshop with enough force to make the Fire Seneschal flinch. Hesitating outside the alcove as the argument escalated, she winched when the Symphonic slap ended it. There was no way to match Gillian's eyes when she reappeared, hurt only for telling the truth.

For all of Brittany's kindness, it took effort to smile. Carol clumsily grasped after the question of common enemies to redirect the tension left in the wake of the argument. She found herself oddly entranced when the Fire celestial hinted at the difference between lust and twin flames, indulgence and intimacy. Knowing that if a rescue was going to be attempted, it would be before the other martial Fire celestials put in an appearance, she had to get Brittany outside of the workshop.

Sweetie, sorry about this, but I have to confess something. For the last round of the fights, I didn't bet on Neal. I had a good feeling about the other guy. That, and the odds nearly guaranteed I'd outdo Gillian. With how the fight was going, we've got winnings waiting for us. But, call me cynical, I don't trust guys taking bets in illegal fighting rings to honour their debts. If we leave it until after the party, they're gone. And if I leave alone to get it, you've warned how that goes. How about we go now together?

Spoiler: Fast Talk
    Show

1) Fast Talk Brittany (I doubt I need it, but just in case). Ask if we could go get the bet winnings I made on the masked wrestler together, hopefully to be away if any fighting starts.

Target Number 12.

(1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[1]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[11]

Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-06-01 at 03:55 PM.

6. - Top - End - #216

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Quote Originally Posted by JeenLeen View Post
    Then, a phone call, not from the Seraph but from the Malakite of Judgement, Rezzial.
    "Adam called me. If you call for backup, someone would likely tip off the Burnt. Not sure if that'd mean they move him or kill him quick. If you plan a rescue, I can be there in the time a Song takes."
    To Rezzial: "Can he get a chopper? Floodlight and big voice? Anything to kick the metaphorical anthill. I'll text you a pin and send you a message if it's going down."

Then he pockets the phone and strides over to the bookie and the lawyer. He greets them, then turns to the bookie. "Looks like the long bet won. That'll be a grand." Turns to Harold and claps him on the back. "Fancy meeting you here! What's going on? Wanna talk about that hypothetical again?"

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show
    (1d6)[5](1d6)[2] check digit. (1d6)[6]
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-06-02 at 04:06 AM.

7. - Top - End - #217

Spoiler: To Carol
    Show
    Will see if can get vips to send a body to check back room and stop sac.

Inian quickly types out a message on his phone and then shakes his head at the referee. "No, I'm not that interested in them. Just heard they were the best game in town for people that wanted to make a quick buck." He smiles in what he hopes is a disarming manner coming from someone bloodied and bruised and says, "I'll happily go talk to the VIPs and see if they can prove me wrong. Lay on, Joe."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

8. - Top - End - #218
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Brittany looks a bit frustrated for a moment, but laughs it off. "You really should keep your head on straighter, darling, but I admit I'm glad you were so eager for our little romp earlier. Yeah, we can go collect your money. And I gotta come with you, to be honest, or one of the vampires out there might have you for supper."
    She says it jokingly and playfully, but you (especially knowing about undead) feel the weight of truth behind it.

She tells you to wait a moment and goes to speak to Balrog for a moment. Between the distance and noise of others talking, you can't hear them. He looks annoyed at first, then smiles and laughs. Brittany then returns to you to lead you out to collect your money.

"Oh, and, babe, that luchador actually killed Neal. He's probably an angel. If you see him, run. Dangerous psychopaths," she somehow managed to say without a trace of irony or hypocrisy, with some legitimate fear of the angelic threat in her voice.

Finding the bookie takes only a few moments, and he is expectedly disappointed to see Carol actually come to collect her funds. Not far from you, you see Astarieth talking with another bookie and some guy in a cheesey suit.

Astarieth, Judgement

Rezzial pauses in quiet contemplation for a few moments, but you hear sadness in his reply. "I doubt it. A push against the Gravel Pits, in the midst of the gang activity in the city, would anger many. If we had solid evidence, such as a picture of the officer, maybe, but I doubt they would move fast enough on a rumor. Much less an unnamed source, as it would doubtless need to be."

Slick Rick takes a moment to recognize Tommy, but then gives a wide fake-smile. The bookie groans and hands over the cash, but does so with a smile; no doubt he made plenty of money from others, with Neal losing.

Rick gives a last response to the bookie: "Fine. I'll drop anything about you guys rigging the match. But know that there's good money if you can get me that [racial slur]'s name."

He turns to Tommy. "Tommy, man, you here for the games, huh. And I guess you didn't vote on the reigning champ. I'm in kinda a bummer mood and gotta be somewhere soon, but, yeah, I can talk."

Spoiler: Resonance
    Show

You first ping on him as he's talking to the bookie, and he is sincerely looking for Inian's identity and will pay well for it. He's not actually (very) racist, but he thinks (falsely) that bookie is so he was using it to help insinuate himself with him.

And he's bummed out about losing money on the bets, but all in all in a good mood since Neal dying is good long-term. And he's eager to get to a gathering with his boss and get a good shot of gin and a pretty girl on his lap. Plus he knows he might get in trouble if he's late.

Inian, War

The ref gives a friendly smile. "Yeah, the Burnt are good for a quick buck, but also for a quick shot in the back of your head."

He leads Inian to an elevator, showing an ID to the guards (men in suits), and is led up to a balcony area after a brief pat-down of him and you to search for weapons.
    Upstairs, as you look around, you see several sections partitioned by walls, giving some privacy to different groups. Cocktail waitresses serve food and drinks, and some of them bear the insignia of Rourke's club. A middle-aged man of Russian accent greets Inian.

"Hello. I am Mister Agafonov. You did well fighting that creature. He killed one of my guards his first night here, someone I could trust to be discrete. Are you interested in work of a discrete nature?"

Spoiler: clarify
    Show
    This is not the same person Astarieth spoke to, but does share the same last name.

9. - Top - End - #219

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Carol blushed at the comment about their intimacy, her intentions gone awry in the best way possible. But the excuses to get the Impudite safely out of what might become ground zero making only made her look scatterbrained, and she managed to laugh off her frustration at the joke of a vampire. The obvious quip about who she wanted to nibble on her was harder to forgo than expected. But her girlfriend was already speaking directly to the Fire Seneschal himself, and found herself surprised when he smiled. It was his laugh that made her blush, with whatever was said involving her unlikely to be the impression she wanted to offer the leader of the Burnt.

While they talked, Carol glanced at her buzzing phone. Using VIPs against the Burnt – wow. All the strategy training and War drills had given Inian keen lateral thinking. Unconvinced she would have thought up that idea, she smiled her relief until Brittany returned. The hostage situation would end peacefully. The couple strolled away from the workshop only for Brittany to inevitably explain what happened to Neal, his death something she was thankfully distracted from earlier. But Carol slowed entirely at the fearful tone.

It's definitely a scary situation, when someone we know is murdered, Brittany. Especially when the person that did it might still be nearby. But if someone tries to harm you, I can't run until I'm sure you're safe. You defended me even when you didn't know I was there. Despite Gillian believing knifes are a healthy fashion statement. What kind of soldier leaves her – uh, captain, behind? How can I call myself your girlfriend if I don't support you?

Only after that did Carol move forward again. They found themselves back in the arena area, the crowd thicker around the betting tables, but lighter after the final fight. She thanked the bookie as she accepted her winnings, noting the tall loan shark standing prominently at the other table, talking on the phone. With the possibility that Jerechial was further organising a cohesive rescue and retreat with Astareith alongside Inian's work, she thought better of bringing Brinniah towards the Seraphim. She instead lingered near the table she had gotten the payout, in no great hurry.

Y'know, in a month's time, there's actually a charity event hosted by that wealthy heiress, Madison Rourke. It costs a grand for only one seat. There won't be much better opportunities to see what one of the most powerful women in the entire city places high on her agenda list, let alone find out who supports her. But before today, I'd need a part time job, and ask a professor for a loan, and maybe still end up going with a loan shark to make it in time. Thanks to you, I'm closer in one night than I would be in a week. Between this and my uni interview with her soon, I'll have more access than actual paid journalists, especially given the recent issue. What type of question do you think I should ask her? Any burning desire you want to know about?

10. - Top - End - #220

Inian follows behind the referee in silence, giving the guards a differential nod as he gets patted down. Once they pass into the VIP area, the drastic change in atmosphere throws Inian off for a moment, the much more chic area standing in contrast to the death match he was just in. He managed to regain his social equilibrium quickly enough to snag some canapés from a passing cocktail waitress before Agafonov introduces himself.

"I am interested," he replies, trying to project more confidence and energy than he actually has. "Potentially. I would need details of the work I'd be accepting first. And some sort of reassurance that your organization isn't just a prettier group of thugs, like the Burnt if they actually had money."

Inian sweeps an arm across the room, gesturing to the waitresses and partitions. "Obviously there's always some amount of corruption involved in underground fighting rings. But to have this sort of set up in a pit fighting area? That implies a level of corruption and under the table dealings a bit higher than what I'm used to participating in."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

11. - Top - End - #221
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

To the notion of being called girlfriend, Brittany looks as if she's about to make a wry statement and maybe a lewd gesture, but pauses, some of that old sincerity showing on her face once more. She ends up just giving a soft smile, with some confusion showing on her face as well. Whether it's a step of sincere change or just feeling muddled by the Redeemer Charm, is hard to tell.

At the mention of Rourke, Brittany starts with a suppressed smile but her eyes widen in concern at the mention of a "uni interview."

"W-wait. You plan to talk to Rourke!? Um, babe, I'm not supposed to tell some stuff to other humans, but stay away from Rourke. If she gets a hint you're mine, she'll try to steal or destroy you. Not that she has anything personal against me, but just that's how she operates. There might be stronger people in the city, but she's the worst..." and her voice trails off, a bit of fear showing.

Quieter, she curses, "@#*#! Okay, you talked about protecting me, standing by me. Don't mention to anyone what I said about Rourke. I don't know why I find myself opening up to you so much. Y-you're different from others, Carol, and I like that. But I could get in real hot water, maybe literally, if it comes out what I implied about her. At least I didn't say it explicitly. Stupid of me."

Inian, War

Some of the man's guards look offended at Inian's comment, but the man chuckles. A dark chuckle, but some sincere amusement in the tone. With the suave of a Bond villain, he speaks.

"If you do not want to work for the, as you say, corrupt, then why entertain coming here? I would think you would know what sort of operations are here. But you are bold. I respect that. And my father will likely appreciate that Neal is dead, so I will forgive any offense for the relief you bring him.

"Am I a criminal? Many would say yes, but the courts have said no. Do I profit from unsavory things? Yes, but so do governments and corporations. I treat those who respect me and my organization well; those who disrespect us or interfere, they meet unfortunate ends. But I am not the Burnt; we do not intimidate bystanders willy-nilly into working for us, nor practice their torment of foes. Nor are we-" He pauses mid-sentence, looking at the waitresses around. "Others of power in this city, which it would behoove even me to be quiet on right now.

"If you would like work of, say, sending messages of varying severity to bad men who have disrespected us or hurt those under our care... perhaps that is noble enough for you?
    My going introductory rate is 1k a message, if the person is to stay around to remember the message afterwards. Bonus pay for circumstances, of course. It increases to 5k once tested and vetted. As your ability is already shown, 2k for the first three jobs, then the raise. Sound fair? Interested?"

Astarieth, Judgement

Out of the corner of you eye, you notice Camael (dressed like a college girl trying to look like a hot thug or henchwoman) with a very scantily-dressed woman.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-06-05 at 11:23 AM.

12. - Top - End - #222

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Rezzial pauses in quiet contemplation for a few moments, but you hear sadness in his reply. "I doubt it. A push against the Gravel Pits, in the midst of the gang activity in the city, would anger many. If we had solid evidence, such as a picture of the officer, maybe, but I doubt they would move fast enough on a rumor. Much less an unnamed source, as it would doubtless need to be."

"I'll see what I can do. Be ready for the call, not sure how this will pan out. Thank you."

He turns to Tommy. "Tommy, man, you here for the games, huh. And I guess you didn't vote on the reigning champ. I'm in kinda a bummer mood and gotta be somewhere soon, but, yeah, I can talk."

"Yeah, well, it seems I got some money in my pocket now. You know if there's a party going down after? Might be a good time to meet that contact you mentioned."

Tommy notices Carol walking by, but doesn't acknowledge.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-06-06 at 02:45 AM.

13. - Top - End - #223
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by robnar View Post
    "Yeah, well, it seems I got some money in my pocket now. You know if there's a party going down after? Might be a good time to meet that contact you mentioned."
    He looks at you with a quizzical expression, taken off-guard by your question. He recovers, but responses with a bit less finesse and sleaze-friendliness than usual.

"Uh, I didn't say anything about a party, but I'm sure some people are having fun of more or less reputable varieties. And while, as a lawyer, I can't recommend such, I could potentially..." He tapers off, then responds with more honesty than you've seen before, tempered with annoyance. "It's been a long day, Tommy, and I just lost a good bit of money. Not up for games right now. I told you that I'm your contact. If you don't like it, you can call me, and maybe someone will come to your office to see about your legs instead of you seeing to others'. Sorry. Not wanting to threaten, but, like I said, long day. And I gotta be somewhere that's invitation only."

He turns and starts to walk off. You could easily keep pace and follow if you desire.
    Spoiler
    Show
    If you tail him, roll a Move Silently roll. He's easy enough to tail, so no Tracking, so this is just if he notices you.

Resonance-wise, not much to say. He has clients who know all sorts of illegal fun, and he is generally willing to put people into communication if he can avoid an ethics hearing or legal trouble, which he usually can.
    He does believe sincerely that, if you don't play ball, he can get the Burnt to cause you a lot of trouble and pain. You get the Truth that that's iffy, as you are much stronger than you look, but he believes it's true that you're just a goon; and he knows there's stronger goons out there.

The party he's going to is invitation only.

14. - Top - End - #224

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

I told you that I'm your contact. If you don't like it, you can call me, and maybe someone will come to your office to see about your legs instead of you seeing to others'. Sorry. Not wanting to threaten, but, like I said, long day. And I gotta be somewhere that's invitation only."

"Funny thing for someone who 'doesn't want to threaten' to say. 'No' woulda worked. Go have fun, man. You need a loan just call me."

Tommy gives Rickman a dismissive nod and a couple minutes' lead, but notes the general direction he's going as he walks away. Guy's slick, didn't even balk at mentioning the contact. Tommy checks his phone to note if Harold's walking in the direction of the pin, then long after makes his way forward.
    He thumbs a quick text to Adrian. <moving to the front door gonna try to draw one out.>

He muddles his way around for a minute, then starts to move towards the pin drop, looking for anything that looks like a bouncer.

Spoiler: Text to Inian
    Show
    <moving to the front door gonna try to draw one out.>

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Think I goofed. I (robnar) remembered Rickman mentioning a contact, but I reread through the previous posts and he was pretty careful. There's the OBVIOUS implication there's a contact, but he didn't actually mention one. Up to you if that gives Tommy some dissonance.

Last edited by robnar; 2020-06-08 at 04:46 AM.

15. - Top - End - #225

RedKnightGirl

Carol tsked at Brittany. “You're brave enough to stand up to a knife fighter, kind enough to excuse me before your boss, and wise enough to warn me when you think I'm missing the bigger picture. You're the most badass bitch in all the Burnt.” Leaning in and up for a quick peck on Brittany's cheek, she grabbed hold of her hand after. “Besides, worrying about some crone with more money than God, but less heat than a lighter? That doesn't sound like your style, babe. Especially when all that paper would only be fuel for the Fire if she pisses you off. We're winning, remember?

Craning her neck up to the VIP section, Carol wondered how challenging it was to convince them to change do business, even with the newfound infamy of becoming the new champion. Looking back down and around at the milling bloodlust fans, she unintentionally glanced the broad blotch of a bloodstain where Neal had no doubt died. It was hard to imagine Inian knew how many hearts he had broken by triumphing over the Fallen celestial, let alone how many lives he had saved. She stepped through the press and whirlpool of gamblers bewailing their loses around the betting tables, her hand clasped securely around her date, knowing they needed to be delayed. Deliberately placing them with their backs to the wall, they had a clearer view of one stairwell leading up to the VIPs.

Your secret is secure. I've got to maintain journalistic integrity, after all.” She winked. “But if I can peak between the curtain a little, Rourke is clearly apart of your world, somehow. And not as a minor player, either. So you see me as lucky and pretty enough to draw the eye, but not enough to speak to your boss or colleagues, let alone someone important outside the Burnt. A little like a nice brooch.

Carol folded her arms, otherwise ignoring her annoyance. “That's my fault – I haven't shown you my talents. So what if we had a little test? See if I'm reaching too far, or if we should attempt to reach further. Over there are the guards for the VIP section. With the fights all done, there's nothing left to distract whoever is still up there from a quick chat. And we both know you deserve a better life. How do you feel about me wining an opportunity to expand your business? If I really do get us a window for an elevator pitch, then no matter how that goes, you not only tell me more about your world, tonight, but also introduce me to others. If it doesn't,” her mouth pursed as though she had a mouth full of lemon, and she spoke more reluctantly. “then I'll accept, maybe, I'm expecting too much, too soon. For tonight. I'll even throw in a little secret about the interview with Rourke I was thinking about.

Spoiler: Journalism knowledge roll/stalling for time
    Show

I think I can get away with this? Using the journalism role (6) + Intelligence (4) to see what, if anything, I know about the secret VIP section of the Gravel Pits. Names or anything to make this attempt less ridiculous. Maybe with the incredibly flimsy reasoning 'oh, I clearly tried to read up on the Gravel Pits and criminal underworld before heading out'. Because university archives clearly have that kind of info....

Anyway, I'm doing my best to stall for time while the other PCs and angels figure out how to get Manakel out (one way or the other). Hopefully this gives enough of a smokescreen to buy more time. It also makes it more likely (if successful...) we won't arrive at the after party until after it's done?

Journalism roll (see if I know anything about the VIP)

TN 10

(1d6)[2]
    (1d6)[2]

Check Digit: (1d6+6)[9]

edit1: that's a result of 3...
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-06-08 at 06:16 AM.

16. - Top - End - #226

Inian, War

Some of the man's guards look offended at Inian's comment, but the man chuckles. A dark chuckle, but some sincere amusement in the tone. With the suave of a Bond villain, he speaks.

"If you do not want to work for the, as you say, corrupt, then why entertain coming here? I would think you would know what sort of operations are here. But you are bold. I respect that. And my father will likely appreciate that Neal is dead, so I will forgive any offense for the relief you bring him.

"Am I a criminal? Many would say yes, but the courts have said no. Do I profit from unsavory things? Yes, but so do governments and corporations. I treat those who respect me and my organization well; those who disrespect us or interfere, they meet unfortunate ends. But I am not the Burnt; we do not intimidate bystanders willy-nilly into working for us, nor practice their torment of foes. Nor are we-" He pauses mid-sentence, looking at the waitresses around. "Others of power in this city, which it would behoove even me to be quiet on right now.

"If you would like work of, say, sending messages of varying severity to bad men who have disrespected us or hurt those under our care... perhaps that is noble enough for you?
    My going introductory rate is 1k a message, if the person is to stay around to remember the message afterwards. Bonus pay for circumstances, of course. It increases to 5k once tested and vetted. As your ability is already shown, 2k for the first three jobs, then the raise. Sound fair? Interested?"
    "Well, I wouldn't say I have issues with working for corrupt people," Inian replies, jerking his head back towards the pit he was just fighting in. "Just the incredibly corrupt."

"As for not being like the Burnt, I guess your reassurances will have to be good enough for me. Because I've dealt with them a little, and they seem like the kind of people I would bet ten to one are about to try to burn someone to death over losing Neal."

At the mention of pay, Inian looks off into the distance and rubs at a bruise. "Two grand a job sounds more than fair," he says thoughtfully, "Assuming the people I'm giving these messages to don't have a lot of people around to intercept me. What's the pay cut if they aren't around to remember?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

17. - Top - End - #227
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Astarieth sees Rickman walk up to a couple thugs. They aren't bigger than the normal thug, but there's an air of menace about them, and you can tell they've got guns on their hips from the shape of their clothes. You can't really hear his words, but he seems to be talking friendly to them, get an annoyed reaction, then let inside.

Camael, Redemption

Spoiler: roll results
    Show

A Role+Int role is fine. A 3 is a decent check digit, so you know the basic rumors: some of the rich and decadent enjoy watching blood sports, some of the retired mafia or other crime-connected families enjoy a time to talk 'work' in a somewhat neutral location; and they are part of why the cops leave this place alone, besides having bigger targets.

If I'm reading you right, your plan is to talk your way into the VIP section?
    Normally I'd say no, as these guards are paid to keep folk out, but your character is basically supernaturally good at Fast Talk, so I'll put a -6 to your check digit, -4 if you mention Rourke. That is, you just get your base check digit.
    If neither succeeds on a Will roll with a check digit better than yours, you can get in.

You (3d6)[3][3][1](7)
    Their Will (3d6)[1][4][1](6) (3d6)[6][5][2](13) vs TN 3

Based on the rolls, you can get in if you want. But I'm not sure what you wanted to happen, so I'll let you decide in your next IC post if Carol decides to go up or not. If you get up, it looks similar to what I described for Inian (since same place) and you see Inian talking to some people a little ways off.

Brittany looks concerned, but is convinced enough to let you try to expand her client base.

Upon talking to the guards at the elevator, they seem far less convinced than Camael is used to mortals responding to her wit and argument. But they still seem convinced enough to let her (and, if she wishes, Brittany) up. You hear one mutter something about "already let that luchador up" as they try to justify it to each other.

Inian, War

The man grins at your statements, looking pleased and amused.

"Excellent. And usually there will be no decrease in pay if they cannot remember anything; if it is an exception, I will let you know. Or, rather, my men. I'm sure you understand that I personally will not handle most communications, at least where it could be overheard or recorded."

He snaps his fingers, and one man hands you a phone.

"We will call if you are needed for a job. If you need to contact us, you may call the contact already saved on the phone. After a job, a new phone will be provided to you alongside payment."

He pauses.
    "You say you believe the Burnt are engaging in retribution? Is this a hunch, or something more serious you speak of. I do not care for them doing their... antics... in a neutral area like this."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-06-11 at 01:50 PM.

18. - Top - End - #228

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Spoiler: text to Inian and Camael
    Show
    trying to walk in the front door, time now.

After a quick text to the team, Tommy walks up to the two thugs. His stance is respectful, hands clearly visible. "heard there was an invitation only thing going down. Will this get me one?"

$500 flashes in his hand quickly, the speed of a veteran street rat who doesn't want to be filmed and is used to people grabbing for the money.
    Last edited by robnar; 2020-06-14 at 05:07 PM.

19. - Top - End - #229
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Both thugs give a glance to one another. One shrugs. The other says, "That'll get you in, sure, but no promises the boys inside will let you out in one piece. I gotta check you for weapons first. That cool?"

As he steps forward to you, the one that shrugged starts to whistle a strangely familiar tune and move his hands in an odd style; while you can't be sure of what he's doing exactly, you can be pretty sure it's a Song. The guy coming to frisk you says, "Ah, don't worry about him. Not 100% in the head, y'know?"

Spoiler: a successful perception check
    Show
    You notice a hungry glint in the guards' eyes. As the speaker was looking at the one who shrugged, he slightly licked his lips.

For the Song: he hasn't finsihed Singing it yet; pretty obvious he's spending a little extra time to boost his likelihood of success.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-06-14 at 09:44 PM.

20. - Top - End - #230

Inian takes the phone and stares Agafonov straight in the eye. "Look. I just waltzed in here and killed one of their bruisers. I don't work for them and I'm not trying to lead you into a trap. So what would you do if I told you I know someone with in an on the Burnt's actions, but I don't want to give away their identity?"

I have a quote!
    I like you.

21. - Top - End - #231
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

The man smiles and gives a short but sincere deep laugh. "I would say you have a grudge against those I also dislike. If you are lying, you are trying to use me. A foolish move, in the long run. If you are honest, which I suspect, then you have made a risky move that may well pay off." He turns to one of his men with a nod, then opens his hand to display four fingers; the man nods and heads off. "I will gather some men. What is occurring, where, and who is being killed? Do you know their numbers?"

22. - Top - End - #232

RedKnightGirl

Thumbs up Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Having convinced the guards, Carol purposefully walked back to Brittany standing a little distance away, the gleam in her eye clear for the success. “Did it. They're allowing me up, but it's probably better if I escort a VIP.” She look at Brittany meaningfully. “How do you feel about us going together? You'll be able bring the full breadth of your business experience to the talk. I can stand back, observe, try to support you.” She glanced intentionally back at the open elevator doors.

Besides, Ethics in Journalism and Media in Print forgot to mention how to talk tits and ass in exchange for cash and power. With me opening the door, our strongest chance is with you closing the deal, babe. This part is more you.” With that, they went together into the elevator, only to hear the comment about the masked wrestler. Carol cringed, despite knowing ahead of time where he was. “Neal was stupid,” she muttered. “Drew a ton of attention to himself for a while. As long as we don't show-boat on that level, that Soldier or whatever won't glance twice in our direction. We're fine.

The elevator doors opened to reveal the back of the masked fighter, and Carol waited, impassive even as she willed him to success.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-06-15 at 04:01 PM.

23. - Top - End - #233

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

You notice a hungry glint in the guards' eyes. As the speaker was looking at the one who shrugged, he slightly licked his lips.
    The thugs' aggressive posture tells Astarieth a lot about what he needs to know about these folks. Tommy takes a step back - "Whoa, man, be easy. I don't want trouble with you." He has the expression of concern that a wary mundane who just realized he's way outside of his comfort zone would have.

Tommy hesitantly spreads his arms to be frisked, but steps to make some room between the two.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Emote roll, to look vulnerable: (1d6)[2](1d6)[4] check digit (1d6)[3].

If the thugs try to go for his phone, or do anything else that looks like they're getting ready to fight (moving to his flanks, moving to stop him stepping back, trying to snatch the money out of his hand) then Tommy will defend himself. Let me know if this is role-reasonable behavior for him.

24. - Top - End - #234

"There's at least one, maybe as many as three, that are at least at Neal's level in a fight. There's maybe another two that are really dangerous, and then a bunch of hanger-ons. You may need more than four if you expect it to turn into a fight. As for what's going on..." Inian hesitates again. He doesn't know this man very well and he's almost certainly involved in the mob or some other criminal organization. Like Astarieth had pointed out, he needs to be careful about what he says. "They caught a cop. I don't know his name, but I was told he was definitely in Pentagram police gear. They're going to burn him alive."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

25. - Top - End - #235
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

As they prepare to exit the upstairs elevator, Carol sees Brittany shake off any nervousness and put on an air of confidence and superiority. Whatever else she looks like -- and she doesn't really look like the high-class courtesan one would expect in this section -- she still acts like she belongs here.

Before the doors open, she smirks and agrees, "Yeah, Neal was stupid."

A few eyes give wayward glances at the duo, but nobody says anything. Brittany stiffens a moment at seeing Inian, but simply puts her hand to Carol's back and moves both of you in a different direction.

In not too long, a man dressed like a Prohibition-era barkeep walks up. He puts his hand to his hat and gives a courteous nod, but his eyes show some uncertainty. The only thing offputting is a bruise near his eye, like he suffered a bad black eye a few days ago; somehow it works with his stylist dress, though.

In an accent befitting his dress, he says to Brittany in a calm and friendly manner, "Well, welcome. I believe we've met once or twice before, haven't we? Though it's hard to believe I couldn't remember a beauty like you or your, ahem, companion. Are you sure you're supposed to be here? I thought you'd be busy with the present Maddie delivered."

Brittany glares at him, then smiles. "Shoo, doggy." And starts to lead Carol off.

Astareith, Judgement

The frisking goes on professionally. Once finished, and the Song finishes at that time too, Astarieth feels some of his strength fade from him. No doubt such was the Corporeal Song of Charm, draining his vitality in preparation for whatever lay ahead.

The Singer simply giggles, a very offputting sound from such a man. The other says, "Well, you're good to go ahead. But I want that money for your 'ticket'. Just tell whoever you first see that you're here for the V table. Otherwise, they'll likely show you the door or the barrel of a pistol."

Inian, War

Spoiler
    Show
    Reminder that the city is now named Star Valley. Pentagram is its old name. I'll assume Inian used the current moniker.

EDIT: up to you if you see Camael or not.

The man gives a grim nod. "Even one like Neal will fall to a bullet, or be intimidated by the arms my men can carry. But thank you." He shakes his head, disdain showing. "A police officer? Here? Absurd they'd be so brazen."

"Know this: if you are lying, you will pay; I do not want enemies of the Burnt like this action will make, but nor can I tolerate such behavior. Do you wish to accompany my men to squash these insects, or stay here? Either way, you are not to be unattended until I learn the truth of what you say.
    "We will try to intimidate them and save this officer. If that does not work... well..."

He talks to another of his men in whispers, but you hear enough to gleam that reinforcements to the four are being called in.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-06-17 at 01:48 PM.

26. - Top - End - #236

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Tommy lets the thug frisk him, and takes the brunt of the Song. He's angry about it - it'll slow him down a bit. But now is not the time.

He makes his way into the party slowly, looking to see what's happening.

Spoiler: Perception roll
    Show
    Perception to identify threats, location of Harold and/or Flavius, and spots where he can lurk out of the way of things. (1d6)[3](1d6)[5] check digit (1d6)[1]

27. - Top - End - #237

Inian nods gratefully. "I'll come along with you. If you're already going to piss them off doing this, I don't think having one more bit of muscle behind you could hurt. It'll also save you the trouble of having to come all the way back here to shoot me if it turns out I was lying."

When he passes Carol and Brittany, he gives a disproving glare but doesn't say anything.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

28. - Top - End - #238
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: timing
    Show
    To help this not become a solo Astarieth vs. the Burnt, I'm going to fudge timing a bit. Basically, Inian and the Russian mob will show up when it makes sense. Probably sooner than later, depending on y'all's replies and what Astarieth tries next.

Astarieth, Judgement

Upon entering the door, Tommy sees that there's relatively little to see at the moment. The entryway is a corridor with a few boarded-up doors, likely what was once a hallway with a few offices, leading to a large central room. Perhaps once storage or a refectory, when this was an operating mine. There are several places one could hide -- little alcoves or opened rooms at the sides of the main room -- but nowhere near the entrance. Another set of thugs are nearby, one with a revolver and the other a shotgun. They turn to Tommy and give a disapproving glare.

"Don't recognize you. Did those idiots let you in? Why are you here?"

Past them, Tommy can see the stake and a person tied to it. There is some broken up boards, furniture, and cloth below it, and what looks like an empty gan of gasoline on its side nearby. He can't see Manakel's face, but no doubt the fire is nearly ready. Past him, he can see Rickman talking with a group of thugs, likely including Flavius and Trip from what Tommy's heard. He also sees the nearly inhuman beast of a man, skin like ash and charcoal, sitting on a chair surrounded by some guards and arm candy.

Inian, War

The man smiles again, a grim and dark smile. Not unlike what some Servitors of War, or The War, have had when preparing for combat. He turns to one of his men. "Igor, you are in charge. Gather the men and, with him, go and rescue the officer. Prioritize the safety of our men, then the rescue of the officer, then the peace. It will be unfortunate to draw blood here, but worth saving an officer of the law."

As they move, Inian gets a text from Jerechial. <I'm here. Position?>

29. - Top - End - #239

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Carol's vessel did its best impression of a deer under headlights when the angel of War glared at her. Brittany thankfully led her away, into the partitioned area. The self-evident proof of waitresses bearing a symbol easily linked to Madison Rourke taunted her. While she considered how to inconspicuously get a picture of them without causing attention, a man dressed as a 1930s throwback of a bartender welcomed them, only to annoy her girlfriend soon afterwards. She frowned at him for questioning them – really, Brittany – but arched a brow at the escort.

What's he talking about? You're from two different sides of the neighbourhood entirely.” She did nothing to resist the hand at her back nudging her away. “How does Rourke even know you in the first place?

30. - Top - End - #240
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Brittany gives a half-smile, but one that shows she's a little perplexed by the question.
    "Um... I know I didn't say explicitly what she is, but I thought I really spilled the beans a few minutes ago, honey." She sighs. "But, yeah, different 'neighborhoods' is putting it lightly. Still, we've met. I'm surprised that lapdog of hers recognized me, though. Might cause trouble. She doesn't like Fire butting into what she considers her territory." She gestures towards the upper-class assembled around you. One older man raises a glass in response, causing Brittany to put on a practiced flirtatious look.

"But looks like your idea might've borne fruit. If there'll be hell to pay later for just being here, might as well make the most of it. You wanna watch me work, or did you have more ideas beyond getting me upstairs here?"