New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst 12345678910111213141516171819 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #241
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

A message from Jerechial is one me can't really ignore, so Inian quickly sends the Seneschal a reply. <Getting help. A probably already inside. C outside. OMW.>

He takes a few extra-long steps and catches up with Igor. "Do you have any plans for once we get in there? And is there anything I should stay out of the way of?"
    Main character-ish avatar by Oneris.
    Onyx 5: Volsung. May he live forever.

I have a quote!
    Quote Originally Posted by Erik Vale View Post
    You are a sick and twisted man.
    I like you.

2. - Top - End - #242
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

The mafioso grins. With a heavier accent than his boss, he says, "Stay out of the way of bullets. Do you have or want a gun?" He motions to himself and two of the other men. "Most of us are good at firearms. We three are also good at fighting." He takes out and puts on a leather glove with metal studs. "If it comes to hand-to-hand, or knife, we three plus you handle that part."

---

As they exit a more discrete elevator and come to the ground floor, people make way. The masses aren't used to the suits coming down here. A handful of others join up. In total, there's nine people, ten counting Inian. Most bear heavy handguns under their jackets, but four are wearing trenchcoats barely covering automatic or semi-automatic weapons.

Near the entrance to the party, Inian spots Jerechial, who looks concerned about the group of people but gives a wave to Inian. He's holding a guitar case that presumably houses some weapon; Inian recalls that Michael mentioned Jerechial holds skill with the sword and shotgun.
    With a sigh, he walks over, a (somewhat forced) look of being perplexed and worried, and a bit of slur to his speech, says to Inian, "Hey, buddy, you in trouble? You need some help?"

The two guards posted at the door see the group and look a bit nervous. Well, one does. The other is giggling uncontrollably and just looks crazed and creepy.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-06-22 at 08:36 AM.

3. - Top - End - #243

Inian throws an arm over Jerechial's shoulder and pulls him tight. "I don't have a good excuse for you being here," he whispers. "Just keep up the drunk act until we get through the door."

Out loud, he says, "No, but it looks like you've had a few too many. You need any help yourself?" If there's any looks of concern from the mafiosos, Inian waves them away. "Don't worry, he seems harmless."

I have a quote!
    I like you.

4. - Top - End - #244
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Inian, War

Jerechial nods and whispers, "Alright. I'll be outside if you need backup or things get Noisy." You can somehow hear the capital letter in the last word.

"Alright, buddy. Good job in the ring!" Jerechial hollars as he backs away, with a bit of a swerve to his step.

As the team nears the door, the two guards start to look nervous. They look tought, but nowhere near a match for a group this large.

Igor says, "Please move aside. I understand there is a private party with a person there against their will. I am here to apprehend said person."
    One thug giggles, and the other looks like he's about to mouth off, but then he freezes as he looks at Inian. He elbows the giggling thug and motions to the luchador. "Dude, this is above our paygrade."
    With a childlike whine, he replies, "But I wanna eat."
    The more serious one retorts, "If things go well, big feast, huh? But if all of them are like that luchador... I gotta spell it out for you? We'd be dust."
    The giggles and whining subside, and both guards step to the side. The more serious one says, "I don't want no trouble."

Igor raises an eyebrow at Inian, unsure why he provoked such a response, but they move to go inside.

Astarieth, Judgement, then Astarieth & Inian

As the inner guard is questioning Tommy, you see the door open and a group of men in fancy suits, who are starting to pull out firearms of various size, enter. Alongside them stands Inian. (Tommy is able to join the group if desired, assuming Inian does some gesture to let Igor know he is welcome.)

But the shock of all this subsides slightly as Manakel (with his back to all of you entering, oblivious to the events) yells out: "I have looked into your souls. You believe me to be a mere warrior of Heaven, sent by your ally. But she sent more to you than a plaything. I may die, but my soul will be in Heaven. I beg you to repent; know that the Lord even now will accept you--"

But then he is cut off as the guard yells out "Intruders!"

Manakel's words fumble. Balrog stands up, his guards staying near him and his playthings huddling around and behind his now-unoccupied chair.

Flavius' group tenses and huddle. After a whisper from Flavius, Rickman starts to vocalize a melody, but stops at seeing Tommy and whispers back to Flavius. Many others draw weapons, from lit torches to firearms to knives, but nobody is firing. They seem ready to see what the intruders are and have to say. Igor steps back at seeing Balrog in his fearsome bulk, but then politely smiles and says, "We heard the Burnt were going to kill an officer of the law. Normally we would not interfere, but this is neutral ground. Please turn him over to us, and you all may leave unmolested."

Spoiler: not happening
    Show

If the scene had gone on without intrusion, Manakel would have continued with, "-if you repent.
    And, you, Balrog, murderer, defiler, I accuse you of murder and treachery against Heaven.."

A voice booms, "Let justice be done" and an ethereal sword of light shoots from Manakel's bound hand to pierce Balrog's chest.

Not enough to kill him, of course, not by a long shot, but I thought it'd befit Manakel to get one use of Heavenly Judgement before going into Trauma.

Camael, Redemption

Away from the scene of potential rescue and possible brutality, Brittany starts flirting with the older man. However, the Prohibition-man walks up, and with an apologetic cough reminiscient of a butler, says, "Excuse me, sir, but you wanted to know if that PI your wife hired was nearby. I fear he is, and that your current companion might cause problems in your upcoming legal discussions." The man looks annoyed but offer his thanks, leaving Brittany as she glares at Issac with scorn and he offers a playful smile.

He walks past Brittany. As he passes Carol, he whispers with a suave tone, "Play with fire and you get burnt, darlin'. But, hey, drinks on me if you wanna head to Oblivion sometime." He winks. "Breakfast, too, if you want." He starts to keep going.

5. - Top - End - #245
    Barbarian in the Playground

RedKnightGirl

Question Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Carol looked coolly at the exchange between the bartender, the patron, and her girlfriend. A noncommittal smile answered the bartender's offer for the infamous Oblivion Club. When he was away from them, she lowered her voice to Brittany. “Babe, I know Rourke is apart of your world. Said so earlier. What I don't know is what present that 1930s throwback in mismatching eye shadow jabbed you about. But I bet it's time we repaid her.” She tilted the screen of her phone at Brittany, the camera application winking in and out of existence with a conspiratorial silence. “How do you feel about me getting into Oblivion? I can mingle a bit, work my magic, and have a shot at wrecking Rourke’s business – or a patron she benefits from. Cost her who knows how much money. Would that answer her gift?

Spoiler
    Show
    Technical foibles are slowing my posting rate. Throw in other factors and I missed Wednesday (trust me, I really did want to post then). Hope this is good.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-06-25 at 12:31 PM.

6. - Top - End - #246
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Brittany looks hesitant for a moment, but then it turns into a grin, a mix of playfulness and malevolence.
    "Infiltrating Oblivion as my agent. That's... an enticing thought. I could see you having fun toying with t, or just some of her clients. And it'd be fun to stick it to her. It'd be too far to try to close her club or something like that -- infernal office politics, y'know? -- but hurting her. Yeah, I like that.

"As for the present, that's not actually anything bad. It's the person you saw at the center of the party. Rourke caught him snooping around and asked us to dispose of him. Speaking of which, it's probably almost time for the main event. You really should see--" She playfully puts a finger to her lip, as if thinking intently, and laughs as she says, "a roast get cooked. At least if you want the rest of us to respect you."

Spoiler: OOC note
    Show
    Regardless of how Carol responds, there's little risk of Brittany making it back to the party before events there are in full progress. Just FYI since I didn't want you concerned about getting drawn back into the crossfire.

Also, I admit I'm surprised you didn't use your Resonance on the barkeep.

7. - Top - End - #247

Inian nods politely at the two door guards as they enter but otherwise doesn't acknowledge the thugs. If they all survive this under plausible circumstances, maybe the mystery will get him a pay raise. Besides, they look like smalltime demons at best and he's got bigger things to deal with.

Big enough, in fact, to strike him dumb when he first sees Balrog's sheer girth. Not sure what else to do after Igor introduces them, Inian settles for catching Tommy's eye and motioning in to the group with his head.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

8. - Top - End - #248

RedKnightGirl

Exclamation Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Carol smirked again as Brittany agreed to the idea of sabotaging the Oblivion Club. “Perfect.” It lasted until it was revealed the angel had been discovered by Lust, only to be broken by a look perplexed. “Rourke gave you the guest of honour? I thought –” She cut herself short with a relieved smile.

Doesn’t matter. Before we get to the main event, could you wait for me a tiny bit?” She touched Brittany’s arm, apologetic. “Not much of an agent to you if I let the invite slip by. Besides, your bartender friend has to learn what happens when he tries to pick up something hot.

Spoiler: OOC
    Show
    Thinking about it, with the afterparty confrontation still ongoing/maybe about to begin, I may as well take advantage. Go to the bartender guy and try and get his number/Mercurian resonance information on him/how to get into the Oblivion Club some other day.
    Last edited by JoyWonderLove; 2020-06-29 at 02:38 PM.

9. - Top - End - #249
    Bugbear in the Playground

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Tommy seems as shocked as the next man when the mafia goons walked in. Evidence. Now.

There's no better chance than exploiting the shock of Inian's entrance. Tommy startles and moves back - trying to put the goons questioning him between him and Inian's posse. He slips his phone from his pocket when he has a split second, opens the camera, and hits record for video. His face is plastered with an expression of shock. He meets Inian's eye for a split second, and then looks away.

This is perfect. Got Rickman, Flavius and Balrog next to a captured police officer. Got a group of thugs with guns and a standoff. All I need is a shot of Rickman and I've got a snitch I can break to pull this whole operation apart. Too bad Rickman saw me. But that's future Tommy's problem.

Tommy covers the phone in his hand - right now he's just getting audio. If he sees a chance hie'll try to point it at Rickman.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Tommy's trying something risky. Assume it's dim in here, and he doesn't want to risk a flash, so he'll hit video.

Emote Roll:
    (1d6)[3](1d6)[1] Check digit: (1d6)[2]

Roll for the Camera trick: (1d6)[5](1d6)[6] Check digit: (1d6)[4]

Not sure if this would be agility or precision, or something else. Unfortunately none of those are his strong suit. Hopefully their perception is off due to the distraction...

10. - Top - End - #250
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Astarieth, Judgement

Nobody seems to notice Tommy manipulating his phone, but neither does he get a good angle to catch Rickman on camera. Mainly, Flavius, Rickman, and those with him seem to be clustering together and separating from the rest of the gang.

Spoiler
    Show
    I looked at the camera roll from a few angles, but nothing would be made by a roll as high as yours.

You can try again, if you like, as things go on.

Inian, War

Balrog at first looks like he plans to order his men to attack, but as he glances over the group -- eyeing mainly the leader Igor and the Neal-slayer Inian -- he says, "We have had peace with those of your operations so far." His voice, though grating like granite, has a surprising mix of sophistication and malevolence. "Are you sure you wish to interfere? You are outnumbered, though I admit your firearms are higher caliber than my men."

Igor chuckles, though there's a look of fear amongst some of the men. "You look strong, but a rifle round in the heart or eye is still fatal."

Balrog laughs. "Perhaps a trade. The luchador for the... supposed officer. He'd put up a fight, but that'd be more fun for us. And that shouldn't draw the attention of the authorities. If this man is an officer of the law, we don't want to do him harm."
    That Balrog is lying is obvious, but such lies are common among thugs.

Manakel yells out, as if knowing someone is recording this, "I am Officer Evan Grant, badge number 356-A30. Agents of Rourke apprenhended me and turned me over to the Burnt. My identity was known to both."

Balrog sighs, an annoyed look coming to his inhuman features.

OOC: giving y'all a little more time to move the scene toward combat or non-combat, or respond in OOC about preferrence

Camael, Redemption

Brittany smiles and gives a flirtatious slap to Camael's backside, with a "Go get him, then."

Carol finds him a few steps off, working at a bar that has been set up for the patrons. He smiles and puts a martini on the table. "Free drink, lady?"

Spoiler: Mecurian Resonance check digit 3, assuming you try for a touch
    Show

1= he thinks he's a decent fellow compared to his peers. Not a good guy, but not rotten, either
    2= his peers think of him as a decent fellow, if a bit too soft. He has a lot of girlfriends (especially older ladies), most of whom know he's milking them for favors or money, but they like the attention he gives them
    3= known as Issac, his hobbies are watching old detective and noir films with friends. He's a fan of romanticized versions of the Prohibition era. He also does a 2/month LARP (live action roleplay) of Vampire: the Masquerade, set in the 60s, though sometimes work obligations mean he has to miss it. But most of his time is spent working at Oblivion or gigs Madison Rourke sets up for him.
    Geographic/cultural origins: he grew up in a bad neighborhood with a lot of prostitution and abuse; he's glad to be in a better environment now.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-06-30 at 12:02 PM.

11. - Top - End - #251
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: for Tommy's camera
    Show
    If you want to try to get another incriminating snapshot, feel free to roll again and see if you get it. I'll count that as a free action before combat starts.

FIGHT!!!

Balrog lets loose a command in the infernal Helltongue. The angels can't understand it, but they hear the violence and unnaturalness of the pseudo-words. Then, in English, "No witnesses!"

A lot happens quickly. Surprised by intimidation failing, most of the mafiosos move with trained precision and spread out to get good firing range at the approaching rank-and-fire of the gang. If they were just normal gangsters, likely the hail of gunfire that is about to come would surely disperse them, but the angels know this group likely includes Soldiers and undead. Creatures still weary of a bullet, but able to handle at least one heavy blow.
    Balrog charges forward with grace and speed seemingly impossible for his bulk, meeting with Inian and Igor.

From the corner where Rickman and Flavius were, there is a sound of song, certainly Song, beginning. Though with the surge of movement it is hard to place who the singer is.
    You can also see, in the corner of your eye, one woman in the dress of a lady of the night and holding a wicked-looking knife. With an air of authority, she is ordering most of the female entertainment into one of the alcoves.

Spoiler: ooc
    Show

Round 1 Set-up

Astarieth, Inian, and Igor are together enough to count as one unit. Balrog is approaching to fight, with some others trailing behind him as backup.
    If it matters, order of attack is: Inian, Balrog, Astarieth, Igor

The other mafia are firing on the various gangsters who are approaching.
    Flavius and Rickman's group are staying put.
    So far Manakel seems unmolested, but also not able to do anything. Or... well, he has okay Precision, so let's try Escape (some modifiers for TN 5, spending 2 essence) (3d6)[2][1][3](6)
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-01 at 08:31 AM.

12. - Top - End - #252

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

As Balrog speaks Tommy holds up his phone - openly, still recording - and goes for a shot. He moves to get a clear view of Manakel, and the pans the camera towards Balrog, Flavius, and Rickman. Once the action's complete he quickly hits the share button and sends the whole recording to Rezzial.

It's on.

As Balrog surges forward, Tommy tries to whip behind him, running towards the singer.

Spoiler: Actions
    Show
    Dice roll for the camera trick. (1d6)[1](1d6)[4] Check Digit (1d6)[6]

Tommy will spend an action to send the picture to Rezzial if it takes one. If it does not take an action, Tommy's going to attempt to get behind Balrog and go after Flavius or Rickman, whomever is Singing.

If the goons behind Tommy try to interrupt him he will kill them.

Attack roll, on either the singer (nonlethal if Rickman) or one of the goons behind him (if they start something):
    (1d6)[5](1d6)[6] Check Digit: (1d6)[3] (note, TN overkill even with ST 7. Tommy will do 1d6+4 damage with a punch.

13. - Top - End - #253

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

A thrill shot through her at the encouragement, Carol strut over to the bartender’s table. “Carol,” she replied. Pulling the drink slowly towards herself at the base, a single finger was placed cautiously on its rim, and started circling the edge. “You know, when a guy offers me a drink on a night out, he’s normally only thinking about himself. But there you were trying to keep me and that man from getting burned.” She arched a mascaraed brow. “Not often a decent guy dressed to break taboos works for VIPs. What did you have in mind with Oblivion?

14. - Top - End - #254

Once Balrog gets up from his chair and charges, Inian throws back his head and yells as loud as he can, "NOW!"

For the second time that night, Inian summons up his essence and lets it flow into his voice as he chants a prayer. "Behold, Lord, An empty vessel that needs to be filled! My Lord, fill it. I am weak in faith; Strengthen thou me!"

Spoiler
    Show
    Coporeal Song of Form with 3 Essence
    (3d6)[1][2][4](7)
    Extra 6 protection for 16 minutes.
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2020-07-06 at 01:36 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

15. - Top - End - #255
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: OOC note
    Show
    Sorry for the late post. Family life, work, grocery runs, etc. Not a great excuse, but I appreciate your patience.

Also, I rolled some stuff off the forums to facilitate writing this post. Hence not all the rolls showing up here.
    Note that Celestial actions always take priority over Corporeal actions, hence the Songs activiating before physical actions.

Nice roll on the camera, though; a check digit of 6 is helpful.

War and Judgement Come to Fire

Inian's Song suffuses his vessel with strength and fortitude. Which is fortunate, as Balrog's fist connects despite an almost-inhumanly fast and graceful motion to dodge it. With his hardened flesh, no damage is dealt, but Inian can easily tell Balrog's strength is sufficient to crush a mortal's skull in one blow.

Igor looks shocked at the bestial fight, but with trained precision levels his handgun and fires towards Balrog. The demon veers to avoid a direct shot to his temple, but the bullet still clips him, leaving a trail of blood across his charcoal-like skin.

During the posturing and the initial breakout of the fight, Astrieth manages to break away from the rest of the group and make headway towards Flavius and Rickman. His camera does catch a clear shot of everyone: Balrog, Flavius, Rickman, most of the others. Even by chance catches Igor's face clearly for a moment, while avoiding any trace of Inian. It also makes its way safely to his pocket after the message is sent.

As he rushes towards Flavius and Rickman, he clearly sees Rickman chanting and waving his hands. Before he can reach them, a sphere of air and dust encircles Flavius, Rickman, and one Astarieth can assume is Trip. Trip lets out a wicked grin and points at Tommy: Tommy starts to feel his insides tear at the entropic rush, but even with some of his strength drained, he manages to shake off the damaging effects of the Calabite's Resonance. He also sees Flavius start intoning a different Song.

Along with this, one of the thugs does swing a knife at Tommy, albeit it poorly such that it fails to connect. Tommy's fist does connect with a crunch, sending the thug whimpering on the floor: alive and probably conscious, but definitely out of the fight.

Around the room, the blare of semi-automatic rifles and pistols from the mafiosos against the assorted gang members reaches a crescendo, added to by the growing Noise of Songs and mortal injury. For those of you more observant, you notice a slight ripple of Noise from outside the room then see Jerechial's figure kick down the door. Also, the ropes from Manakel's arms fall to the ground, and he starts to work on his feet.

Spoiler: Round Results and Prep for Round 2
    Show

I wrote out what happened in a more narrative order than mechanical order. Below is the (I think accurate) mechanical order of events.

Inian Sang Corporeal Form successfully.
    Trip used his Calabite Resonance on Astarieth successfully, but Astarieth resisted it via a Strength check.
    Flavius started Singing something.
    Rickman Sang Corporeal Shields successfully, encapsulating himself, Flavius, and Trip.

Balrog punched Inian, but did 0 damage between dodges and Corporeal Form.
    Astarieth was attacked by a thug (who missed), and sent the thug into negative HP.
    Igor shot Balrog, doing a little damage.
    Manakel is working on freeing himself.

Jerechial enters the scene, but no action yet.
    NPCs are fighting each other.

NOTE TO SELF: since Trip's Resonance was resisted, he has to use it on something else next turn, take it himself, or take dissonance.

Camael, Redemption

Issac smiles, responding with a playful and flirtatious air. "I'm Issac. And what makes you think I'm not thinking about myself? A gentleman has a desire to protect a lady, does he not?"

A little more serious, he adds, "And the Burnt will just use you up and cast you away, like a little match. Pretty, but not much life to it. I'd rather you live brightly and long, gorgeous." He sighs, getting playful again, "As for the club... well, you come, we talk as I give you free drinks, see what happens when I get off shift. Something like that. Though, of course, we could continue talking now and see what happens when my shift here ends. What did you have in mind coming to talk to me?"
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-08 at 09:55 AM.

16. - Top - End - #256

Inian glares at Balrog as he deflects what force from the blow he couldn't dodge with his now unnaturally hardened forearms. "Come on then, if you think you're hard enough," he says and replies with a blow of his own.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack:(3d6)[5][1][4](10) 8 damage
    Dodge:(3d6)[1][6][3](10) Total 11 soak.
    Acrobatics:(3d6)[1][5][2](8)
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2020-07-10 at 12:22 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

17. - Top - End - #257

RedKnightGirl

wink Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Hmm. What did I have in mind?” she wondered herself, airily. The black blazer was removed to reveal her grey top, folded over her right arm. She propped head up on her left hand, eyeing him with easy intent. “Maybe I like making new friends, and you looked like someone I might get friendly with.” Her shoulders arched innocently. “Or maybe, with you so used to taking orders all night, I’m curious about your hard work at Oblivion. There’s a lot of rumours about the kind of kinks you can work out there after a stressful day...

The neck of the glass was brought to eye level, Carol slowly twisting it between index and thumb, admiring the olive sitting contently in it from different angles. “Something like that.” She put down the yet untouched Martini. “But it’s hard to believe the namesake of your club won’t prove a little too fitting. Between you and Brittany, it sounds like I might hop from being her little match, only to being your little match point. Who wants to go from pyre to plaything?

Carol pouted, only half serious. Aware it was impossible to know if Inian had organised a lightning raid or a creeping multi-pronged showing of force that tersely demanded surrender, it was best to wait until the confrontation had resolved itself. Annoying Brittany by taking time was something Carol could forgive herself for; letting the Impudite get hurt by walking into a fire fight would take a lot longer.

Unless you know how to play nice. Drinks are good, sure, but connections make everything better. What are you into, Issac?

18. - Top - End - #258

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

As the thug behind him crumples to a heap, Astarieth picks a new target. "Hey Rickman! Thanks for leading me here!"

And then Astarieth rushes to Manakel, ripping the binds off his feet as he mutters "Rezzial is on the way."

Spoiler: Rolls, just in case
    Show
    Either strength or agility to help Manakel with his bonds: (1d6)[6](1d6)[5] check digit: (1d6)[5]

Just in case they're relevant:
    Perception: (1d6)[5](1d6)[5] check digit: (1d6)[6]
    Dodge: (1d6)[6](1d6)[1] check digit: (1d6)[3]

19. - Top - End - #259
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Round 2

Near the middle of the room, a man in a black monk's cassock and a Zorro-like mask materializes, wielding a sword encased in flame. Rezzial, Malakim of Judgement.

Inian and Balrog trade blows, but Balrog kicks off the wall to avoid Inian's punch, leaving a ringing blow to the luchador's ear. From the rear, Jerechial, Seneschal of the Sword, undoes his guitar case to reveal a broadsword. He charges for Balrog and delivers a piercing blow into Balrog's left flank. The beast again dodges most of the blow, but blood is starting to flow.

Igor swears something in Russian and crosses himself, but ignores the chaos and insanity of the situation, and levels his pistol against towards Balrog. However, his pistol shatters, leaving his hand bleeding and a cut across his face from an errant piece of metal. Trip laughs maliciously from within the Shield.

As Astarieth moves to free Tommy, one of the 'working girls' takes a swipe at him with her knife. Though it just glazes his skin, he feels a strange burning and the smell of brimestone. An infernal artifact?
    Nevertheless, he manages to reach Manakel and finish freeing the Elohite of Judgement. Now freed, Manakel surveys the scene and glares at Trip. He grabs a fallen handgun, but speaks instead of leveling it towards the horde.
    "I accuse you!" A voice booms, "Let justice be done!" and an ethereal sword of light shoots from Manakel's brow towards Trip, passing without deterance through the shield. Trip yells out as it slashes into his flesh, leaving a burning wound.

Many of the mafiosos are yelling in panic, but manage to keep their own against the gangsters. A couple of the gangsters have paused to Sing simple Corporeal Songs, some successfully, some not.

After these few seconds of supernatural chaos, though, Balrog gets a strange look in his eye. A strange and determined look, with a wicked grin. Across the room, Flavius' form falls limp, gently rolling against the edge of the shield.

Spoiler: mechanics
    Show

Balrog and Inian strike at each other.
    Balrog takes 0 damage after dodge. Inian takes 2 damage.
    Note: Balrog does 1d6+12 damage with his punch. He has full 6 Corporeal Forces and 6 Fighting... so, yeah.

Igor was going to shoot Balrog, but Trip destroyed his gun via Resonance.
    Jerechial dealt some damage to Balrog.

Astarieth dodged for 3 soak. With armor, 5 soak.
    Takes (check digit + 3) - 5 = 4 damage from Gillian's knife.

Manakel freed and invokes Sword. 7 damage to Trip.

Flavius Sang something successfully. To Astarieth: with your Perception check, you know it was Song of Possession. He is controlling Balrog.
    Rickman failed to Sing something.

And it is NOISY!!!
    Though Rezzial appearing makes no Noise. The Noise happened wherever he Sang Celestial Motion from.

Camael, Redemption

Issac laughs. "A plaything lives though, doesn't it? In fact, I make most of my income by being a plaything, or one who plays with others. That's what an attractive barkeep really is, isn't it?
    "Hmmm.... There seems to be more to you than I thought, pretty match. Connections, huh? Well, I'm not one to kiss and tell, but I know some of the wealthier older ladies in the city. And I'm sure you've heard that Maddie is well-connected. My boss at Oblivion." He whistles, wiping down a glass, a touch of warning coming back ot his voice. "Though she does something break her playthings. You'd be safer playing with me."

Issac suddenly looks distracted, and Carol instantly knows why. There are waves of celestial cacophony traveling through the air. Wave after wave of increasingly loud ripples. By the end, distraction has turned to concern, a frown on his forehead and pursed lips. A bit shaken, he says, "Excuse me, darlin'. Just remembered I should text ol' Maddie about something." With an apologetic and forced smile, he takes out his phone and sends a quick message. Then turns back. "So, where were we?"

A bit away, Brittany looks frantic. She has her cellphone out and is either texting or calling someone with frantic haste.

Spoiler
    Show
    Mechanically, each Noise event has a chance of being heard, but the total Noise increases. So, with your high Perception, it's almost if not at TN 12 for Camael, and thus you hear something. Probably a few somethings.

Also to note: Issac hearing just means he's Symphonically aware. He could be a sorcerer, Soldier, undead (though seems doubtful, due to his activities you sensed), imp/gremlin, or demon.
    Note for note: undead don't breathe or digest food (except whatever they might have a Need for, such as a vampire for blood or human flesh), or other physical stuff. They also can't have intimate relations. There is a variant of the Song of Corporeal Form that temporarily lets them do stuff like eat and drink normally, but it explicitly notes they derive no pleasure from physical intimacy (though they can fake it). So based on his activities with retirees, you can rule out being undead.

With Camael's high will power, she can stop herself from outwardly responding to the waves of Noise.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-13 at 11:00 AM.

20. - Top - End - #260

RedKnightGirl

Exclamation Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Face still casually leaning on her left arm, Carol glanced from Issac and Brittany. This ended in a double take at her girlfriend. Brittany had been agitated before, even angry, but it had always been with torch-like control and focus. But the business woman in the middle of building up her empire was now erratically jabbing buttons on her phone like an agitated teen looking desperately for a last second date on prom night. Ignoring the roiling waves of noise crashing through and over every photon in her entire being outwardly with ignorant ease, Carol placed her blazer on the table unceremoniously. Time was no longer on her side. Tilting forward with right hand extended, she plafully dabbed Issac lightly on his buttoned up stomach with index finger before leaning back.

You were about to admit to me that some kind of silent alarm signalling a Katrina-level situation kicked off. Don’t deny it. Any issue big enough that you feel outright demands contacting the CEO of your entire operation isn’t exactly blue skies and sex on the beach.” She stared at the bartender direly. “Issac, Brittany doesn’t get that agitated easily. This obviously has something to do with the Burnt afterparty escalating beyond what anybody wants. Not surprising; they intended to turn a cop into kindling on site. If you let her leave, that agitated, then whatever is going on out there will get inflamed. And if whatever is out there gets worse, this close to business, VIPs and you will be in danger. Please tell me you have some kind of nobody-in, nobody-out lock-down detail for situations like this.

Spoiler: Charm attempt, followed by Fast Talk if that doesn’t work/is necessary
    Show

Charm attempt:

(1d6)[1]
    (1d6)[4]
    Check digit: (1d6+2)[5] (+2 from directly touching Issac)

If the Charm doesn’t work from the touch, please consider the dialogue a Fast Talk attempt to convince him to put their VIP section into lockdown. Or speak to whoever can.

Fast Talk attempt:

(1d6)[5]
    (1d6)[4]
    Check digit: (1d6+6)[9]

21. - Top - End - #261
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Camael, Redemption

Issac grows wide-eyed at Carol's words, but his mannerisms otherwise become more... not relaxed, but sincere. As if near a close friend he trusts. It seems the Resonance took hold.

"Uh... yeah, but keep your voice down about the boy in blue. I guess Brittany's told ya more than I thought she had. And, well, I don't have a policy like that, but I've heard the VIPs here got their own plans if something goes crazy downstairs." With a curse, he puts a frustrated hand to his head, slightly disheveling his hair, "Man, tonight wasn't supposed to go crazy like this. Just serve some drinks, have some fun. I saw that luchador leave with some of the Russians, but didn't think it'd get that crazy."

"Urgh. How about you? You got some plans for getting out of here safe? If I know Brittany... which, well, I don't, not really... she's probably debating running off and hiding verses running down and joining whatever fight's going on. I strongly recommend getting out of here. I know I am once I get the all-clear from my boss."

At that remark, Issac face grows panicked for a moment, but then he looks at Carol with a curious focus. Half-whispering to himself, he mutters, "I didn't... no, it's the same as before..." Then, with a sort of odd mixture of relief, surprise, befuddlement, and almost hurt (at least some of which probably from feeling like you're one of his best friends), he says, "What are you? I know you're not human. Don't tell me Belial got another new agent in town."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-15 at 09:53 PM.

22. - Top - End - #262

Well, that can't be good. Inian watches in amazement at the sheer grace of Balrog for something his size, and just moves his head directly out of the way of the return punch. He takes the blow mostly on his ear instead of his nose leaving him disoriented but not out of the fight.

When Rezzial appears, Inian spares a moment of concentration to point at Trips and Flavius and yell, "Zorro, there's a Shield. Motion into it if you can again!" Returning his attention to the demon in front of him, he squares up and throws another punch at Balrog and hopes for a better result this time.

Spoiler
    Show
    Fight:(3d6)[5][1][3](9)
    Dodge:(3d6)[1][5][6](12)
    Acrobatics:(3d6)[4][2][3](9)

I have a quote!
    I like you.

23. - Top - End - #263

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Astarieth swears at the shield, and swears even more at the knife in his back. He whips around and slams a fist into the girl behind him, pulling his punch enough to avoid killing her.

Spoiler: Rolls
    Show
    Fighting: (1d6)[2](1d6)[6] check digit: (1d6)[5]. Note, don't have enough time to recheck the pulling punches rules - he doesn't want to cause more noise than he has to by killing a mortal.

Other default rolls:
    Dodge: (1d6)[2](1d6)[5] check digit: (1d6)[1].
    Perception: (1d6)[5](1d6)[4] check digit: (1d6)[3].

Man, really learning what those songs are for now!

24. - Top - End - #264

RedKnightGirl

Carol cocked her head at his panicked reaction about his boss, it being nearly as big a tell to his supernatural nature as the awareness of the Symphony. A human concerned for his treatment by his overly connected mob boss was nothing new. She soon arched a brow at the same accusation being levelled at her. Sometimes she forgot how quickly unnoticed slips accumulated into assumptions, but her mind was too muddled with thoughts of Brittany to answer elegantly. Her head shook with a grimace, but she herself couldn’t tell if it was self-admonishment or an attempt at recovery.

A friend, Issac. One that would appreciate your discretion. I’ll try to explain the whole superhuman thing later, if you want. But right now, Brittany really is my priority.” Emulating Inian, she quickly dragged a napkin to herself and wrote her number in lipstick. “Good luck getting out of here safely.

Donning her blazer and leaving the martini untouched, Carol returned to Brittany’s side with a frown. “Babe, Issac said he saw the lucador from earlier leave here with a bunch of Russians. He’s even called his boss to try and get the go-ahead to leave. Whatever is going on, it’s bad. We can’t stay here.

Spoiler: Mercurian resonance, is FT necessary?
    Show

Mercurian normal resonance, TN 8:

(1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[3]
    Check digit: (1d6+1)[3] (+1 from nearby Issac)

---

Fast Talk, TN 12: (If the Charm doesn’t cover it for discretion, go with FT)

(1d6)[6]
    (1d6)[4]
    Check digit: (1d6+6)[12]

25. - Top - End - #265
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: rollin'
    Show

Trip Resonate (3d6)[2][5][6](13)
    Igor Resist (3d6)[1][2][6](9)
    edit ha ha ha. the mortal actually resisted! And something that might've killed him, too

Rezzial Sing (3d6)[1][4][2](7)

Manakel Shoot (3d6)[6][6][1](13)

Balrog Punch (3d6)[5][5][5](15)
    Jerechial Stab (3d6)[2][6][4](12)
    Igor stab (if not stunned/dead) (3d6)[2][3][6](11)
    Balrog Dodge Inian (3d6)[2][4][4](10)
    Balrog Dodge Jerechial (3d6)[1][2][2](5)
    Balrog Dodge Igor (3d6)[3][6][1](10)

Rickman Sing (3d6)[3][1][6](10)

Gilly Dodge (3d6)[3][2][1](6)
    Gilly Stab (if not stunned) (3d6)[3][3][4](10)

From within the Shield, Trip points at Igor. The mafioso gives a strange grimace, but otherwise seems unaffected. Trip follows up with a curse, followed by a much more terrified curse when Rezzial vanishes and reappears within the Shield. Rickman finishes his Song -- recognizable as Corporeal Form by some in hearing range -- but also looks utterly terrified.

Balrog swings his fist at Inian, but shows much less skill than a moment ago and fails to connect. In follow-up, he suffers a barrage of attacks, between Inian's fist, Jerechial's blade, and Igor's now-drawn knife.
    Three thugs rush in and pummel Igor and one of the nearby mafiosos to the ground, taking up a defensive position near Balrog.

However, instead of looking worried about himself, he turns his now-bloodied face towards those in the Shield. "Plan Running Shower... oh #@*! the Malakite! Trip, get outta there!"
    He seems quite unhappy to see where Rezzial currently is. Moreso when the Blade of Judgement slices again into Trip's body.

Elsewhere, Manakel has turned his firearm on the gangsters, helping the mafiosos against the Burnt. Astarieth's fist connects with the girl, but she manages to deflect most of the blow by taking it in her shoulder, then flips her switchblade into his side. It breaks through his padded clothing, leaving another searing (if small) wound.

Spoiler: mechanics resolution
    Show

Balrog is looking a bit ragged.
    3 thugs have joined the fray against Inian and Jerechial.
    Igor KOed by thugs.

Gilly took some damage, but dodged most of it.
    Astarieth takes 4 damage from the cursed blade.

I had really planned on Flavius and Rickman surviving this, but that call on Rezzial going after them was a good one. We'll see how this goes.

Camael, Redemption

Issac nods, numbly. "R-right." Carol can almost see him mentally listing the possibilities of what she is in his mind, but he stays looking friendly. "I'll let you handle her. Just be safe." Putting on an obviously-forced former persona, he adds with a wink and touch of New York or Boston accent, "See ya later, sweethart," then starts to head off.

Spoiler: Mecurian Resonance level 4
    Show

You got 3 and less earlier, so here's what more you learned.

4: His relationships are many, but shallow. He has several romantic relationships with women (and a few with men), but they are him using them or, at best, mutually using each other. But there's some hints at real affection or protectiveness towards some of them, as much as he tries to avoid it.
    His strongest relationship is towards Madison Rourke -- or Maddie, as he affectionately calls her. He credits her to saving his life and giving him the life he currently has. He feels sad not to live up to her expectations all the time, and like she's too creul sometimes, but is immensely loyal to her. Any sense of loyalty to Andrealphus is secondary, or as a spinoff, of his loyalty to her.
    He's also friendly towards some of the imps and gremlins who work for her, feeling a sense of comraderie with the 'little guys'. And there's also his movie/LARP buddies, but he sees that as using each other for mutual fun.

Brittany looks at Carol, fear in her eyes. "I-I mean I'm not realy a fighter as others, but I shouldn't leave Gilly and my girls down there. But--if Balrog can't handle them, then no chance I can." After a few glances back and forth from some exits, some more to safety and some more to the 'party', she sighs. "Yeah, let's get outta here."

You can see some of the VIPs starting to notice things are up, security starting to move them to different exits. Although it's faint, there are some sounds of gunfire from the distance--though it's nothing to the celestial Noise Camael can hear.
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-17 at 03:06 PM.

26. - Top - End - #266

SamuraiGuy

Astarieth, Judgment

Astarieth grabs the girl's arm carrying the knife and holds it in place. A novice knife fighter tends to forget that they have other weapons. Then he slams an elbow into the girl's temple, trying to knock her out.

As he squabbles with the girl he shouts to Rezzial - "Leave the mortal alive!"

Spoiler: Rolls!
    Show
    Attack, pulling punch: (1d6)[2](1d6)[5] Check digit: (1d6)[4]
    Dodge: (1d6)[5](1d6)[3] Check digit: (1d6)[2]
    Perception: (1d6)[1](1d6)[6] Check digit: (1d6)[3]

27. - Top - End - #267

Inian spares a glance and a frown at Igor as he goes down unconscious before returning his attention to Balrog and the new gangsters. Even an Angel can be beaten if he's unlucky enough times against a mortal. And with that philosophy in mind, he aims a carefully measured kick at one of the thug's knees.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack, pulling my punch: (3d6)[6][6][2](14) 6 damage
    Dodge: (3d6)[2][2][3](7) 13 soak
    Acrobatics: (3d6)[1][6][4](11)
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2020-07-19 at 09:47 PM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.

28. - Top - End - #268

RedKnightGirl

d6 Re: [In Nomine] The City of Pentagram IC

Carol nodded grimly. “If we can’t fight our way in, no chance we’ll be getting out. ” Her lips flatted out to a thin line, clear-eyed. “At least, through the main entrance. Look, none of your girls are stupid. Let alone Gillian. They’re probably all hunkering down in the alcoves while everyone else gets hot-heated. While I’m guessing you left your thermite grenade in your other coat pocket, I saw the impression you made earlier. How much Fire did Belial give you? Enough to make an emergency exit?

Spoiler: About the Mercurian resonance and other things
    Show

Trying to keep it interesting with the idea of ‘go outside the building and make an emergency exit’. But if it’s not possible, no worries.

As much as I’m more than happy with leeway (4 Mercurian result!), I failed the roll by one. Saving up to put a point into Celestial, or at least a ton into lying/role, is looking really tempting….

29. - Top - End - #269
    Ettin in the Playground

BardGuy

Spoiler: rolls
    Show

Gillian Sing (3d6)[4][1][1](6) @ TN 5
    Gillian dodge (3d6)[3][3][2](8)

Flavius Will (3d6)[6][2][5](13)

Trip Will (3d6)[5][3][2](10)

Rezzial slash (3d6)[6][5][5](16)
    Rickman dodge (3d6)[2][3][3](8) +4 Corporeal Form

Balrog action (3d6)[5][6][6](17)
    Jerechial slash (3d6)[4][1][4](9)
    Balrog dodge Jerechial [rollv]3d6[rollv]

Thug 1 dodge (3d6)[1][6][5](12)
    Thugs attack Inian, but have almost no chance of hurting him. Rolling for chance of intervention
    (3d6)[3][6][2](11)
    (3d6)[1][3][3](7)
    (3d6)[2][5][5](12)

overall fight for NPCs
    Mafia+Manakel (2d6)[4][4](8)(1d6+3)[9]
    Thugs (3d6)[2][2][3](7)

Within the shield, Rezzial's fiery sword cuts into Rickman. The lawyer is unable to move well within the confines of his own Shield, and slumps back against the border of it. Still conscious, but reeling from the attack.

The sword of light cuts again into Trip's flesh, and he looks like he is close to dropping between bloodloss and the shock of the blows, but then his flesh starts to unravel. He has a very uncomfortable look on his face before it fades from existence,

At that moment, Flavius jerks awake, a scared and frantic look on his face as he glances between his dear friend assuming celestial form, his servant looking badly wounded, and a Malakite of Judgement looming over him.

Outside the battleground, Gillian lets loose a melodious raucus, but the only result is the Noise of wasted essence. Astarieth's punch lands against her; though wounded, she is still in the fight.

Balrog however, appears to have come to his senses. Looking at his wounded body with surprise and rage, he Sings a roar like flames growing triumphant. His wounds knit together, though Jerechial's blade carves a new one soon after.

Nearby, the thugs who came to Balrog's defense circle Inian. One falls to the ground, conscious but stunned, at Inian's blow. The others attempt to strike at the Ofanite with a knife and pistol, but both blows fail to land.
    Elsewhere, the remaining thugs seem to be doing rather poorly despite their superior numbers. Manakel has felled one with a single shot, and in one corner a group is trying to bash through a boarded-up window in hopes of escaping.

Spoiler: mechanics resolution
    Show

Rickman stunned by Rezzial's attack before he could act.
    Flavius used a Will roll to end his Song of Possession early.
    Trip seems to have soaked the dissonance.
    It's a Perception roll at TN Perception+3+2 to see his celestial form.

Gillian's Song failed.

Inian stunned one of the thugs. The other two failed to do damage.
    Balrog Sang a very successful Corporeal Healing on himself. Then Jerechial drew some blood.

END RESULT
    Rickman stunned. Trip in celestial form. Flavius awake. Rezzial amidst them.

Astarieth winning over Gillian.

Inian and Jerechial faring well against Balrog, but he's back in the frey and managed to undo most of the damage he had (but, that was an awesome check digit.)

Camael, Redemption

The waves of Noise grow louder with the sound of mortals' blood, essence, and Song. Brittany gives a grim but determined look to the Mecurian of Redemption.

"I know how to start a fire, but it's not gonna help with this. Let's just get back to my bike and get outta here before anything worse comes."

She starts to run off, holding Carol by the hand and going as fast as the Mecurian came. Seeing some of her girls downstairs, she tells them to scatter and regroup tomorrow. Before getting on the bike, she tries one desperate call to Gillian, but ends up leaving a message of "Call me if you're safe. Get out if you can."
    Last edited by JeenLeen; 2020-07-21 at 03:52 PM.

30. - Top - End - #270

Inian is about to aim another hopefully non-lethal blow at one of the gangsters by Balrog when the demon Sings. He grunts in annoyance but stays focused on the task at hand. He snaps another punch at a gangster and does his best to keep alert in case Balrog tries to attack him instead of Jerechial. "How are you doing?" he asks the Angel beside him, trying to be quiet enough that the Demon doesn't overhear.

Spoiler
    Show
    Attack, pulling punches: (3d6)[6][4][4](14) 8 damage
    Dodge:(3d6)[6][1][5](12) 16 soak total
    Acrobatics:(3d6)[4][2][5](11)
    Last edited by DoctorFaust; 2020-07-24 at 12:00 AM.

I have a quote!
    I like you.