Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Titan in the Playground

Default You just gained a level in real life: 2020 edition!

A new year, a new level!

You can choose any class to gain a level in, and you gain the benefits of that level for yourself in real life. What would you choose?

Rules:
    3.5e or Pathfinder, whichever you're most familiar with. By popular demand, 3rd party material (for either edition) is allowed and counts as a separate, third category. If you're familiar with multiple editions, you can do all of them individually if you like, and have two or three different versions of your build.

Treat yourself as having your choice of the nonelite array (13, 12, 11, 10, 9, 8) or the standard array (11, 11, 11, 10, 10, 10), arranged as you like, for this purpose. You gain the normal benefits of being a human. In Pathfinder, that includes the ability score bonus, and you can choose variant traits if it suits you. In 3.5e, you can still get the +2 ability bonus to one score by trading away your bonus feat and skill points via the Unsheltered Human variant. Aging modifiers apply as normal.

For those of you who participated in this exercise in previous years, you keep the levels you had before, meaning you may now be as high as level 5! Those levels are locked in as of now. However, if you didn't post in the thread that year, you did not level up. Here is a handy-dandy spreadsheet to track what levels everyone already has: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

Bonus points if you stat out a whole character sheet!

Previous threads:

FAQ:
    Q: Do magic abilities work? I mean, magic isn't real, right?
    A: Yes, magic abilities work.

Q: Are other people in the world leveling up too? Am I going to be the only magic-user?
    A: Assume that you do not have this information when making your decision.

Q: Will I be leveling up again in the future? If so, when?
    A: If this is your first time round, then assume you don't have this information. If it's your second time, you now have two data points to extrapolate from. By the third time, you will probably notice a pattern.

Q: I am a hotshot and I think my ability scores would be higher than that.
    A: This isn't about simulating your real-world characteristics in a D&D character. In this exercise, everything you gain from your new abilities is layered on top of whatever you can already do. So you gain a new stat array, and you can arrange it however you like. Think of it as a gestalt, if that helps.

Q: Do I have to spend my skill ranks on things I'm already good at or risk losing the ability to do them well?
    A: Similar answer as above. You have the skills that you have, and then you also gain however-many skill points, which you can spend to improve your skills on top of that. If you took a -1 penalty to Charisma, then sure, that will carry over into making you slightly worse at playing the guitar, but you won't suddenly unlearn how to play it.

Q: Can I take flaws?
    A: Yes, you can gain flaws according to the normal rules for flaws. Said flaw will apply on top of whatever "flaws" you might already have had before gaining the level. For example, if you're using the 3.5e rules, you could take Poor Reflexes as a flaw to gain a bonus feat, and it would make your reflexes worse, just like taking Lightning Reflexes as a feat would have made them better. If you already had poor reflexes, then they'd now be even worse than before.

Q: Is retraining allowed?
    A: Yes. Use the normal rules for it under your chosen system.

Q: How do gp costs work?
    A: They use up money or material wealth at a reasonable exchange rate. Specifics aren't important; we're not here to do math.

Q: How do xp costs work?
    A: You accumulate experience by literally gaining experience. In other words, you have to do stuff. But, like, meaningful stuff that helps you grow as a person. Spending the xp you gain this way doesn't cause you to lose the experience, but it prevents you from using it again to pay another xp cost, so if you want to use abilities with xp costs on a regular basis, you'll want to live life to its fullest.

Q: How fast does xp accumulate?
    A: Just to give a sense of scale for xp expenditures, you can figure a maximum of about 20 xp per level per week, assuming you are having meaningful life experiences. The amount of xp you can hold at a time is limited to your level x 1000. (This is based on the xp a character of your level could have in-game.) This is only used for xp costs, not for leveling up; to level up, you just post in the yearly thread, and that's it.

Q: I get that I have to be a human, but can I take a template?
    A: Template classes are fair game as long as you have at least one real class level first. Use savage progression rules for them, even if the template class wouldn't normally work that way. Any template that can't be taken as a template class is probably going to be unavailable, unless you can somehow gain it via class features.

Q: What about setting-specific material, or regional requirements?
    A: Assume they are adapted to another, similar requirement that makes sense in our world.

Q: I have a question about how a particular rules interaction would work under this model.
    A: You can ask in the thread, but here are two general rules of thumb. First, most things work the way they'd be expected to work in an actual fantasy world, so if one interpretation of a rule would break established D&D canon if it were true, and another wouldn't, the latter one is more likely to be correct. Second, if you would normally have to consult with your DM about how it works, you can assume you don't know the answer as you make your decision—you'd have to try the interaction and find out for yourself.

2. - Top - End - #2
    Orc in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2020 edition!

Woo hoo! Level 4 Pathfinder wizard! Boost Intelligence up. Retrain feats and skills as needed to embrace that wizard lifestyle. Hopefully my fellow wizards and I have gotten around to researching and trading spells to build up our repertoires.

Spoiler
    Show
    Human Transmuter 4
    Init -1; Senses Perception +4
    DEFENSE
    AC 9, touch 9, flat-footed 9 (-1 Dex)
    hp 20
    Fort +2, Ref +0, Will +4
    OFFENSE
    Speed 30 ft.
    Melee club +2 (1d6)
    Ranged none
    Arcane School Spell-like Abilities (CL 4th; concentration +7)
    6/day—telekinetic fist (1d4+2)
    Transmuter Spells Prepared (CL 4th; concentration +7)
    2nd—2 + 1 (bonus) + 1 (school)
    1st—3 + 1 (bonus) +1 (school)
    0 (at will)—-4
    1/day—-cast any spell in spellbook
    Opposition Schools: Enchantment, Necromancy

STATISTICS
    Str 10, Dex 9, Con 12 (11), Int 17, Wis 10, Cha 9 (age-adjusted)
    Base Atk +2; CMB +2; CMD 11
    Feats: Eschew Materials, Extend Spell, Scribe Scroll [b], Skill Focus (Spellcraft)
    Skills: Knowledge (arcana, geography, history, local) +10, Linguistics +10, Perception +4, Spellcraft +14
    Traits: Avid Reader (arcana), Classically Schooled
    Languages: Arabic, Chinese, English, French, German, Russian, Spanish
    SQ arcane bond (amulet), physical enhancement +1
    Gear: spellbook, masterwork spellcraft tools

As far as my Dreamscarred psion, take another level in telepath, making him a Telepath 4. Lots of cool stuff there but haven't worked out a build for him yet.

edits: typo, added spoiler
    Last edited by El Dorado; 2020-01-03 at 02:12 AM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Barbarian in the Playground

The return!

As a shadow being, I grow in power, subtly. Also, Mixed Blood (water) made no sense. It's been replaced with Life of Toil, to better represent my background. If it matters, retraining half of a feat (the intent of traits) would take 3 days, rounded up, and this would cost 10 gold per level per day, so like 60 gold pieces worth. Given how much I actually get paid for the work I do, that feels appropriate.

Spoiler: Third-party Pathfinder
    Show
    New choices: aether bolt as a shape known, reveal your secrets as a clause (so I can read books in an instant and clone documents freely), and Pactbound Guardian as a bonus feat, because a shadow red panda would be a cool buddy.
    Skill ranks up.

Human shadow avowed 2
    Medium outsider (human, native, psionic)
    Move 30 (+10 if in shadow, useable only at end of move), constant detect magic, night watch (see below)
    Abilities: Strength 13, Dexterity 8, Constitution 11, Intelligence 12, Wisdom 9, Charisma 12.
    AC 9 (+4 after moving 30 feet), CMD 11, Fort +4, Ref -1, Will +2. HP 9-16 (2d8).
    Traits: Mixed Blood (Outsider) (Dreamscarred Press's Bloodforge), Life of Toil
    Feats: Unlocked Talent (expansion), Ancestor's Breath (cone of sonic 2d6, DC 11, Bloodforge), Pactbound Guardian (red panda familiar)
    Pulse Shapes: aether beam 1d6 (Ref 12 half), aether blade +2 touch (1d6+1 untyped; crits: 20/3d6+2 untyped), aether bolt +0 ranged touch in 60 ft. (1d6 untyped).
    Clause: lock and key (creates an explosive-if-bypassed arcane lock), reveal your secrets (basically dragonfire adept's magic insight crossed with scholar's touch and amanuensis), bonus clause night watch (touch: subject can see in darkness, even magical darkness, for 24 hours)
    Skills (12 + 2 Int + 2 favoured class + 2 human): Acrobatics +6, cross-class Climb +1, cross-class Disable Device +3, Disguise +6, Linguistics +6, Perception +4, Sense Motive +4 (add +1 when seeing their shadow), Spellcraft +6, Stealth (pact skill) +7.

As for the 3.5 AU: Oh dang, I've got 0-7 more hit points and blue scales over parts of my body. That's gender euphoria.

Spoiler: 3.5 DFA
    Show
    Human dragonfire adept 2
    Medium humanoid (human, dragonblood)
    Abilities: Strength 13, Dexterity 8, Constitution 11, Intelligence 10, Wisdom 9, Charisma 12.
    AC 11 (-1 Dex, +2 natural), Fort +1, Ref -1, Will +2; +2 on saves against magic sleep, paralysis, electricity. HP 8-15 (2d8).
    Flaws: Frail (-2 hp)
    Feats: Dragontouched (+1 hp, sense skill bonus), Draconic Heritage (blue) [Draconic], Draconic Knowledge +2 [Draconic]
    Class feature: breath weapon 1d6 fire (Ref 11 halves), breath effect (line: lightning breath)
    Invocation: Draconic Knowledge
    Skills (4 + 1 human per level): Listen +5, Search +6, Spot +5, Jump +6, Climb +6
    Untrained (but counts as trained): Knowledge (each) +8 (buffed)
    Last edited by Metool; 2020-01-01 at 11:43 PM. Reason: Looks like roll tags don't work here. If this counts anyway, I swear.
    Ne/nem/nir, please and thank you.

4. - Top - End - #4

Woop Woop.
    I'll be taking my 3rd level of stp erudite.

Maybe I'll pick my feats/attributes/powers/etc next year.

5. - Top - End - #5
    Ogre in the Playground

Druid+1 for Druid2. We'll reach Planar Shepherd eventually.
    Last edited by Endarire; 2020-01-02 at 05:17 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by GPuzzle View Post
    And I do agree that the right answer to the magic/mundane problem is to make everyone badass.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flickerdart View Post
    If you're of a philosophical bent, the powergamer is a great example of Heidegger's modern technological man, who treats a game's mechanics as a standing reserve of undifferentiated resources that are to be used for his goals.
    My Complete Tome of Battle Maneuver/Stance/Class Overhaul

Arseplomancy = Fanatic Tarrasque!

6. - Top - End - #6
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

I'll be taking my second level of Sha'ir, please.
    Still following the same plan :

@Troaccid is great and should feel great. I like this thread idea a lot!

Currently : Level 2 Sha'ir

Stats: Str 8, Dex 9, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 11, Cha 13

Skills: Concentration 5 ranks (+5), Diplomacy 5 ranks (+6), Sense Motive 5 ranks (+5), Spellcraft 5 ranks (+6)

Feats: Wedded to History (Wanderer), Silent Spell, Flaw (noncombatant), Improved Counterspell, Flaw (vulnerable) and Iron Will.

Spells known: Detect Magic, Daze, Ghost Sound, Launch Item, Mending, Prestidigitation; Charm Person, Scholar's Touch, Unseen Servant,

Languages: Common, Ignan

Familiar will be an Earth Gen.

The plan, written here so I don't have to think it through again next January if I come back here:
    • At level 3, take Sha'ir again. Craft Wondrous Item. +1 Concentration, +1 Diplomacy, +1 Knowledge (arcana), +1 Spellcraft. Learn Disguise Self.
    • At level 4, take a level of Durthan. I would argue that Ireland fits Rashemen thematically (Rashemen definitely feels pseudo-Celtic as much as anything, IMO), and that thus I can qualify. +1 Cha. +1 Concentration, +2 Knowledge (arcana), +1 Spellcraft. Learn Light, Alter Self, Master's Touch (the one from the PHBII that grants +4 to a skill). But due to Place Magic "spells known" suddenly became a far less pressing feature: Place Magic lets me get a look at pretty much all spells, and so I can cast them as a Sha'ir normally from then on.
    • At level 5, take Cloistered Concept Cleric with the Magic domain, and Healing and Knowledge Devotion. +2 Diplomacy, +5 Knowledge (arcana), +1 Spellcraft.
    • At level 6 (so in 2024) take 1 level in Dweomerkeeper. Feat should be Leadership, picking someone I care about as my cohort as Troaccid has confirmed they'll level too when my Leadership cap goes up.
    • From then on, go into Dweomerkeeper (take Bluff and Intimidate instead of Spellcraft and Knowledge (arcana)) but dip Mindbender at 15. Then simply add more levels in Sha'ir to keep spells for up to 7 hours instead of 3. If that isn't an issue, go Ruathar for easy skill points.

At level 1 I've become ageless (which is great!) and got Unseen Servant and similar utility spells (Prestidigitation)
    Level 3 will bring crafting! Awesome! XP will be limited though. It's been confirmed I can't "overspend" XP and am somehow aware of how much I have if I manage to earn any. Try to sell items of Endure Elements, Prestidigitation, Disguise Self for huge prices, as discreetly as possible.
    Level 4 brings the awesome Place Magic feature, which works very well with the Sha'ir's massive spell list (all wizard spells, and no spellbook limitation). As long as I'm in Ireland, I should be able to get around the "must have seen a spell to retrieve it" limitation. This is when this build really begins to shine, with access to every wizard spell in the game without compromising on social skills! Here it is, as clarified on page 47 of Unapproachable East:
    Spoiler: Place Magic
    Show
    Hathrans and durthans possess a special bond to the land of Rashemen that lets them draw upon the power of the spirits to cast spells without preparing them. When a hathran or durthan uses place magic, she can cast any arcane or divine spell known to her. (Spells on her hathran or durthan spell list can be cast as either arcane or divine spells, as she desires.) In effect, she can use any spell on any of her spell lists when she wishes, as long as she is within the borders of Rashemen. A place magic spell uses an unassigned spell slot of the appropriate type (arcane or divine) and level. If the caster does not have an open spell slot, she may spontaneously lose a prepared spell of the appropriate type and level to cast her place magic spell. Using place magic takes longer than casting a spell normally; any spell that takes 1 standard action to cast requires 1 full round to cast with place magic. Spells with casting times longer than 1 standard action simply add 1 round to the casting time.

Level 5 brings some basic healing, and the necessary domain to get into Dweomerkeeper next year.
    Dweomerkeeper will eventually bring the ability to cast Permanency (replicated by Limited Wish to get around 1 round casting time limitation) or Heal (again through Limited Wish) at no XP cost..

Notes:
    • Use Dweomerkeeper to cast Acorn of far Travel regularly. Mantle of Spells should probably be emergency spells that I wouldn't want prepared all the time, but that I can't wait to call up when I really need them. Maybe Alter Fortune (or Gaseous Form?), Celerity, Teleport, Greater Dispel Magic (I get this at the level where I get Divine Defiance), and finally Limited Wish.
    • Feats : Flexible Mind (Bluff, Intimidate) at 9, Divine Defiance (I already have Improved Counterspell after all) at 12, Mindsight at 15, and Repeat Spell at 18. Or maybe Otherworldly Countenance out of vanity.
    • High-level crafting. Making a Dedicated Wright is possible, but would require Craft Magic Arms and Armor and Craft Construct. Polymorphing into a Midgard Dwarf gives all Craft Feats, but the spell doesn't last long enough. Make an item of continuous polymorph first? XP is only useful for crafting but can still be earned, so I shouldn't run out. Worst case I can Thought Bottle or use a Restoration trick. My main problem will probably getting enough reagents, honestly.
    Last edited by TalonOfAnathrax; 2020-01-02 at 03:07 PM.

7. - Top - End - #7
    Orc in the Playground

I think I'll gain a level of the Half-Fey savage progression.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Bugbear in the Playground

Well this is interesting.

Alchemist, surely. Very tempted to go metamorph but I'd have to give up extracts which means I'd have to give up infused extracts which I'm not prepared to do.

So, onto the build.

Alchemist 1 (Vivisectionist+Chirurgeon (I think those can stack anyway...)) I'd add mindchemist too but alas, it replaces poison use so I can't stack it.

I'll take the non elite array, like so:
    13 Int, 10 Con, 9 wis, 8 Str, 12 Dex, 11 chr

+2 to Int from being human and that gives me:
    15 Int, 10 Con, 9 wis, 8 Str, 12 Dex, 11 chr

Assuming it even matters, I'll take Sylvan and Elven as my bonus languages.

I'll take the fey magic alternate racial trait, replacing skilled. I'll take urban as my favored terrain, with Mending, Purify Food and Drink, Stabilize and Diagnose Disease as my spells for it. It also lets me add Disguise and Bluff to my list of class skills.

For my feats I'll take Extra Discovery (Infusion) and Extra Discovery (Cognatogen)

For Skills, I put one point into each of Disguise, Bluff, Knowledge (Nature), Knowledge (Arcana), Perception, and Craft (Alchemy), and a point into Spellcraft for my favored class bonus.

For my extracts known I'll take Vocal Alteration, Cure Light Wounds, Recharge Innate Magic and Polypurpose Panacea. There are a bunch more I'd want to get if possible but those are just the free level up ones.

I'm pretty sure that about covers it. Tons of utility that I can easily leverage into helping a lot of people and making a lot of money doing it, with a few personal benefits on the side.

Edit: Alchemical Adept and Arcane Researcher as traits. I figure since alchemists can copy wizard spells directly into their formula books, researching new extracts makes sense as a thing you can do (and if not I can just research a new spell, then copy it into my book as is normal for wizard spells). Changed a couple of my skills too because I realized this possibility.
    Last edited by RatElemental; 2020-01-02 at 02:49 PM.

9. - Top - End - #9
    Troll in the Playground

*laughs omniously*
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

10. - Top - End - #10
    Ogre in the Playground

Druid 1

Stats: Str 8, Dex 9, Con 10, Int 12, Wis 15, Cha 11

Bonus Languages: Auran, Aquan, Terran
    Flaws: Love of Nature, Curious

Skills: concentration 4, diplomacy 4, handle animal 4, knowledge:nature 4, listen 4, spellcraft 4, spot 4, survival 4

Feats: Ashbound, Snowcasting, Greenbound Summoning

Animal Companion: Riding Dog

11. - Top - End - #11
    Ogre in the Playground

Ah shucks. Why not. What's the worst that can happen?
    Level 1 Incanter (Spheres of Power), with Life Specialization. EDIT: And 1 level of artificer, I guess.
    I can now cure the most grievous of wounds and remove fatigue, letting me never sleep again. Since in real life, people gain muscle and improve constitution by exercise, I can use the fatigue removal to go extra long stints of exercise and muscle building.
    Then I sell my services to hospitals, gyms, or just freelance. Spend the money to visit disaster sites to help there as well.
    And then I prop up my original business of selling solar energy with this extra money.

Scores Int 18; Dex 15; Con: 13; Cha 12; Str 10;Wis 10

Templates Young: -4 str, con. +4 Dex; -1 level adjustment
    Half-Celestial: 4 Con, int, Str. +2 wis, cha, dex; Oh, and flight speed, so no more fear of heights. Yes, even if I account for the fact that I can literally raise myself if I fall to my death. That'd hurt.

Incanter Specializations:
    -Sphere Specialization (Life): +1 HP / 2 HD (min 1); +1 CL to Life sphere
    -Fey Servant: Because having a magic pet that lives as long as you is fun. A cute hedgehog. +2 to will saves so I can power through the work day. And it's cute.

Spoiler: Magic Talents
    Show
    1) Base Sphere: melee touch range
    ^Cure: Std act, spell point, 1d8 + CL positive energy heal
    ^Invigorate: std act, temp hp = CL, max of total hp, 1 hour
    ^Restore... : Std act, spell point. Removes or lessens conditions
    ^^Mind: Remove dazzled, and staggered, lessens fear 1 step,
    ^^Body: Remove battered. Reduce fatigued or sickened by 1 step
    ^^Soul: Heals 1d4 ability damage. (Whatever that translates to.)

2) Resuscitate: A heal within 1 round of death brings them back to life.

3) Self-Renewal: Cast self-healing quickly. Even immediately after incapacitation. So...resuscitate. Man that's got to be painful. But better than dead.

4) Restore Health: +1d8 to Cure, and can Restore Health to attempt a caster level check against the disease / poison's DC. Even if you ignore the overuse of the term "disease" in today's culture, 'tis very useful.

5 [Extra Magical Talent] ) Restore Mind: +1d8 to Cure, and cures Alzheimer's.

6 [Extra Magical Talent] ) Sustaining Vitality: Bonus to AC and saves. Improves will power and health. Stick with that exercise routine! And it's free, with Invigorate.

7 [Tradition] ) Water of Life: Can imbue fluids or a portion of food with Life sphere abilities, which remains as a "health potion" until I rest. Yes. I will bring about video game logic of eating donuts to cure bullet wounds.

Spoiler: Magic Tradition
    Show
    General Drawbacks: 5 drawbacks. +1 Spell point per level.
    -Wild Magic: 10% chance of wild magic occurring on cast. Variety is the spice of life. ha ha.
    -Narcoleptic Casting: Spending spell points has a chance of putting me to sleep for about 6 seconds. It's a power nap. Counts as two drawbacks.
    -Magical Signs: When casting: glow brilliantly, with the chorus of angels at my back. What? I can't be fanciful?
    -Prepared Caster: Must assign spell points to the spheres before their use. Pretty easy for a mono-sphere.

Life Specific Drawback:
    -Medicinal: Can't directly cast on creatures. Instead can use liquids to transfer...get your head out of the gutter!
    Last edited by SangoProduction; 2020-01-02 at 03:06 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    Sometimes you get eaten by a giant purple earthworm.
    Journals from my D&D campaign
    My Vestige
    Found my Artifact
    Player Expectations
    Familiar with Druids?
    Spheres of Power / Might Builds
    Quote Originally Posted by Maat Mons View Post
    "I have all the vigor and vitality of a below-average elderly man!"

12. - Top - End - #12

Binder. With a single level I can call up Naberius, and at the mild risk of Batman voice and having a ego problem, I can take 10 on all dialogue checks. Hello coasting through a life of sales work!

Aym can make me resistant to fire damage. Great for cooking and pyrography which I've started doing!

Amon gives nightvision which means my chronic fear of the dark is not a problem, plus the ram horns is a neat party trick.

Ronove gives me Jedi telekinesis, at the risk of feeling exactly as inadequate as I already do in life, haha. Oh and I can do semi-suicidal leaps off tall things without harm, which is gonna be great for my thrill-seeking desires and completely mess up my knowledge of what is safe to do.

And Leraje... honestly I have no use for archer skills. Would be funny to do a bad pact with leraje AND Naberius though.

You're quiet and unassuming... BUT MUST TAKE THE STAGE!
    Atomic laser breath!

13. - Top - End - #13
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

I'll take a second level in Chef (from the Flavour Handbook )- another first level spell I can make an edible potion of, a bigger bonus to profession: chef so more money rolling in on a regular basis, and I earn a culinary art.

I'll choose comfort food- I gain a bonus to heal rolls, people I treat heal twice as quickly, and I can make food that gives people fast healing to up to 1/2 their total hit points.

So I can now dole out medical miracles on a daily basis.

14. - Top - End - #14
    Firbolg in the Playground

One level from which to base my future capacities? Hm.

I think I'll go for Precocious Apprentice Wizard, boosting that elite array's 13 via Unsheltered Human. Taking a Flaw for the Apprentice feat to establish a Druid + Wizard mentor, to clear the way for a possible Arcane Heirophant entry down the line, since access to that would be big. Access to Reincarnate and wizard capacity leads to an eternal life of pretty substantial capacity.

I think this gives me pretty decent level 1 capacities, the potential to become a ridiculously potent spellcaster down the line... and at worst, I have Scribe Scroll to make second level spell scrolls at caster level 1, which I have to imagine would be valuable to people.
    Used to be DMofDarkness
    Old avatar by Elagune.
    Spoiler: Collection of Signature Quotes
    Show

15. - Top - End - #15
    Troll in the Playground

Time for that second Mystic Ranger level! Who all else has hit 5th?
    ,,,,^..^,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by Haldir View Post
    Edit- I understand it now, Fighters are like a status symbol. If you're well off enough to own a living Fighter, you must be pretty well off!

16. - Top - End - #16

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    Q: Is retraining allowed?
    A: Yes. Use the normal rules for it under your chosen system.
    Does this include rebuilding? I assumed they were different sides of the same coin, so I did a rebuild in 2017, with a real life rebuilding quest to boot. (The spreadsheet still shows my original Archivist level, which I'm hoping is just due to the fact that you have to update it for hundreds of people).

Either way, I'll be taking my 4th character level which will be Mystic Ranger.

___

Retconning slightly due to rebuilding being denied, still going in same order as before (Archivist -> Ranger)

Human
    STR: 10
    DEX: 14
    CON: 9
    INT: 11
    WIS: 12
    CHA: 8

Archivist 1

Mystic Ranger 1/Archivist 1
    ACF: Voice of the City (replaces Wild Empathy)
    Granted Feat: Track

Mystic Ranger 2/Archivist 1
    Favoured Enemy: Human

Mystic Ranger 3/Archivist 1
    Combat Style Feat: Two Weapon Fighting
    DEX: 13 -> 14
    Last edited by SirNibbles; 2020-01-04 at 09:29 PM.

17. - Top - End - #17
    Ogre in the Playground

Still don't know how all these years I only thought about posting in this thread. Maybe I would write the post and get distracted or something along those lines...

Well anyways, cloistered cleric 2!

18. - Top - End - #18
    Ettin in the Playground

So, apparently, last year's "On a related note, as I retrain and continue Arcane Spellcaster" was not explicitly enough. Let me try again: I retrained Crusader for Arcane Spellcaster, and continued taking Arcane Spellcaster last year. And I take it again this year, while pumping my XP into Sculpt Self (TARDIS).

My wealth and time should allow me to have invented a more dynamic version of Cantrip by now, to test if inventing new custom spells is a possibility under the rules.
    Last edited by Quertus; 2020-01-02 at 10:36 AM.

19. - Top - End - #19
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

You know, yesterday I kept of reloading the page, and I didn't see this thread. Today I wake up and log on, and it says it was posted sometime yesterday. Not sure what's up with that.

Anyway, naturally I have many, many more questions, but I'll need some time to go back and make sure I don't ask one of the same ones I asked last time, and none of them are really important for my build anyway, which is pretty simple.

I'll retrain something into Old Blood (Gnome) and take a level of Gnomish Illusionist with all the ACFs (not gonna list them all). My one level of Artificer is enough to make scrolls of any first or second level spell, and if I put Practiced Spellcaster on it (assuming that works, which I think was clarified last thread) then I can also get thirds out of it, and by that point Sculpt Self should be able to take care of the rest.

Speaking of Sculpt Self, it's kinda hard to say what I do with it, given that I don't know how much xp I'm getting and whatnot, but it occurs to me that the easiest thing to do with it would be to boost my craft checks and make a living as an artist. Which is funny, because I'm not the slightest it artistic.

Anyway, if I cheese things enough I should be able to get three levels of Shadowcraft Mage by level five, which seems the soonest I'd be able to get phenomenal cosmic power short of Omnicificer, and a lot less risky.

20. - Top - End - #20
    Pixie in the Playground

3PP 3.x "Elements of Magic" from EN Publishing Mage

Str 8
    Dex 10
    Con 11
    Int 12
    Wis 9
    Cha 15 (13+2)

Traits:
    Finding Haleen/Finding Your Kin (Pathfinder)
    Fate's Favored (Pathfinder)

Feats:
    Create Charged Item (Elements of Magic)
    Uncertain at this moment

Spell Lists Known (Elements of Magic style)
    Heal Life
    Charm Humanoid
    Evoke Lightning
    Infuse Shadow
    Move Force
    Transform Animal

21. - Top - End - #21
    Ettin in the Playground

OrcBarbarianGuy

I'm taking a 4th level of Tactician. I'll have to find my old build stub and see if I can update it when I get the chance. Finally approaching the levels where I can start to do real stuff. Still working towards discovering the ritual to turn myself into an Elan so I don't have to worry about dying.

22. - Top - End - #22
    Orc in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Vizzerdrix View Post
    Who all else has hit 5th?
    From the sheet : ben-zayb will hit Telepath 5 if they post here again, Esprit15 will hit Factotum 5, GrayDeath will hit Avowed 5, Jack_Smith will hit Oracle 5, Karmea will hit Archivist 5, Shalist will take another level (I'm guessing in some sort of Theurge class? They're currently a Sorcerer/Artificer), same thing for Telonius (currently arcane/Warlock), thethird will get Psionic Artificer 5, Vizzerdix will also reach level 5 but I can't guess what they'll take (they're currently a Mystic Ranger/Human Paragon).
    Oh, and Troaccid is obviously level 5.

23. - Top - End - #23
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

So I went back and read my old questions (and fixed a typo), and naturally I have many more, because D&D really resists attempts to translate into the real world.

Without any further ado, (or adon't), here's the first question post:

1. Do people in real life have the limit of only 18 in any stat? I ask specifically because a non-elite stat array gets things up to 13, and if John von Neumann was the most intelligent human possible with 18 INT, then either intelligence scales exponentially with INT, or each point of increase represents a huge jump. Either way, if I were naturally (before getting D&D powers) an elite arrayed person (15 INT) and I slap a non-elite array on that for +3, then suddenly I'm Neumann. If I'm a really smart person in real life, and I naturally have 16 INT, then I'm not sure what would happen if I tried to add +3 to that. Also, Fox's Cunning is OP. Unless people in real life can have more that 18 of any stat.

2. In a similar vein to the previous question, if there really is such a huge jump when you increment an attribute by 1, or even if there isn't, do you round up or down, and if I end up with, say, 10 STR, does that make me exactly as strong as anybody else with 10 STR?

3. For that matter, am I even aware of my attribute values, before and after I add D&D powers to the mix? (I mean immediately before, when I'm choosing what level to take and whatnot.) Can I see my character sheet?

As an aside, there needs to be something better than saying D&D powers. PC and NPC work, but that kinda implies that everybody else (including real me typing this) aren't people. Isn't people? Neither sound right.

4. What's the process of gaining a level for the first time like anyway?

5. Can I still work out and increase my STR without leveling up? Will my muscles still atrophy if I don't work out?

6. Do my real-life skills count towards prereqs? Do they stack with my D&D skills? If they do count, do they have the level + 3 limit? If I'm proficient with a weapon and I Proficient with it? Could I retrain either?

7. Do other people have levels? A CR? I'm assuming I'd get more xp for beating a Navy Seal than I would for beating up an accountant, but does that mean that I couldn't cast Sleep on some people? If somebody's really skilled at something, does that force his level to be higher?

8. Do I perceive time in rounds, and space in 5' cubes? Do I perceive my actions as rolls, and do I know the numerical values of those rolls?

9. Does getting stabbed through the heart to as many hitpoints of damage to me as getting stabbed in the foot? Would it do as many hitpoints of damage to somebody else if I did it to them?

10. Does nonlethal damage work on other people. Can I have 100 STR and hit people as hard as I can with a sap and not do any permanent damage to them?

11. If I cast Plane Shift and go to another plane, can I Plane Shift back. If so, does that mean that other people from those planes could Plane Shift here? Why don't/haven't they?

12. Suppose a new book is released, within the confines of 3.5/PF. Does the content from that become legal?
    Last edited by Kalkra; 2020-01-02 at 01:40 PM.

24. - Top - End - #24
    Titan in the Playground

Level up to 5! Stats from before:

Spoiler: Last Year
    Show

Cloistered Cleric 3/Warlock 1.

Nonelite array.
    Str: 8
    Dex 9
    Con 10
    Int 12
    Wis 13 14
    Cha 11

Human
    Feats:
    1: Extra Turning (fuel for later), Able Learner (I like skill points)
    3: Augment Healing (less worrying about injuries)

Deity: Olidammara. Domains: Trickery, Luck, Knowledge (from Cloistered)
    Alignment: CN

Skills
    Level 1: Know (Religion) 4, Know (Planes) 4, Heal 4, Bluff 4, Diplomacy 4, Decipher Script 4, Concentration 4, UMD 2, Balance 2
    Level 2: Know (Religion) 5, Heal 5, Bluff 5, Diplomacy 5, Decipher Script 5, Concentration 5, Know (History) 2
    Level 3: Know (Religion) 6, Heal 6, Bluff 6, Diplomacy 6, Concentration 6, UMD 3, Balance 3, Know (History) 3
    Level 4: Know (Religion) 7, Heal 7, UMD 4, Know (History) 4

Level 4 means a stat bump! Increasing Wisdom to 14.

Chosen Invocation: Beguiling Influence. Hooray for making friends and influencing people!

Will fill in this year's level when I have a few spare minutes.

EDIT: So, on to level 5. Taking another level in Cloistered Cleric. A few more spells per day, and lots of skill points.
    Level 5: Know (religion) 8, Heal 8, UMD 5, Know (History) 5, Diplomacy 7, Bluff 7, Sense Motive 2

Should set up next year nicely.
    Last edited by Telonius; 2020-01-03 at 08:45 AM.

25. - Top - End - #25
    Bugbear in the Playground

Wait, how do pathfinder traits work? 0 unless we take flaws to get them?

26. - Top - End - #26
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    Wait, how do pathfinder traits work? 0 unless we take flaws to get them?
    By RAW, your character can start out with two traits, unless your GM indicates otherwise.

27. - Top - End - #27
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by SangoProduction View Post
    Ah shucks. Why not. What's the worst that can happen?
    Level 1 Incanter (Spheres of Power), with Life Specialization.
    Quote Originally Posted by Malphegor View Post
    Binder. With a single level I can call up Naberius, and at the mild risk of Batman voice and having a ego problem, I can take 10 on all dialogue checks. Hello coasting through a life of sales work!
    FYI, you both posted in previous threads, so you're level 2. I believe you were an artificer and a sorcerer, respectively.

Quote Originally Posted by SirNibbles View Post
    Does this include rebuilding? I assumed they were different sides of the same coin, so I did a rebuild in 2017, with a real life rebuilding quest to boot. (The spreadsheet still shows my original Archivist level, which I'm hoping is just due to the fact that you have to update it for hundreds of people).
    Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    So, apparently, last year's "On a related note, as I retrain and continue Arcane Spellcaster" was not explicitly enough. Let me try again: I retrained Crusader for Arcane Spellcaster, and continued taking Arcane Spellcaster last year. And I take it again this year, while pumping my XP into Sculpt Self (TARDIS).
    Pathfinder allows players to retrain class levels. 3.5 does not, except by visiting special magical locations that probably don't exist on this planet.

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    My wealth and time should allow me to have invented a more dynamic version of Cantrip by now, to test if inventing new custom spells is a possibility under the rules.
    It is possible, yes, following the guidelines laid out in the core rules. Specific spells may or may not work.

Quote Originally Posted by Elricaltovilla View Post
    I'm taking a 4th level of Tactician. I'll have to find my old build stub and see if I can update it when I get the chance. Finally approaching the levels where I can start to do real stuff. Still working towards discovering the ritual to turn myself into an Elan so I don't have to worry about dying.
    The spreadsheet has links to posts, if that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    So I went back and read my old questions (and fixed a typo), and naturally I have many more, because D&D really resists attempts to translate into the real world.

Without any further ado, (or adon't), here's the first question post:

[Questions]
    D&D levels use the d20 system. Your real-life "stats" do not. That should cover all of your questions except...

12. Suppose a new book is released, within the confines of 3.5/PF. Does the content from that become legal?
    ...Yes.
    Last edited by Troacctid; 2020-01-02 at 03:12 PM.

28. - Top - End - #28
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Pathfinder allows players to retrain class levels. 3.5 does not, except by visiting special magical locations that probably don't exist on this planet.
    The PHB II specifically says that the two rebuild quest are just examples, and the DM can make campaign appropriate rebuild quests based on the examples given.

29. - Top - End - #29
    Titan in the Playground

The PHB II specifically says that the two rebuild quest are just examples, and the DM can make campaign appropriate rebuild quests based on the examples given.
    Correct, so you would need something on the scale of *checks notes* an ancient mystical portal with legendary transformative properties, or an interdimensional rift where the universal forces of creation and destruction converge.

Or take the anarchomancer prestige class, I guess.

30. - Top - End - #30
    Orc in the Playground

Devil

Correct, so you would need something on the scale of *checks notes* an ancient mystical portal with legendary transformative properties, or an interdimensional rift where the universal forces of creation and destruction converge.

Or take the anarchomancer prestige class, I guess.
    Excellent point. Not sure what Anarchomancer has to do with anything, but it did remind me of Darklight Wizard, another way to retrain levels, sort of.