Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345
  1. - Top - End - #121
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2020 edition!

Quote Originally Posted by thethird View Post
    On the manner of testing spells, does anything that can be discussed under the forum rules, happen if I cast cleric spells that have different effect based on the god revered by the caster? (I assume not, and probably would be best to be leaven at that, but would probably test it).
    Sure. What god do you revere?

2. - Top - End - #122
    Troll in the Playground

Mmmmh good question...

Is that something that I would put on my character sheet? After all skills and feats do not translate between real life and D&D game.

In real life I probably revere the christian god, I am not the most pious of followers, and wouldn't qualify for the true believer feat but I do pray and attend to the rites on occasion. If I can "game" the system though I am going with Mystra.

(Interestingly spiritual weapon can also be used to check for alignments. Do we set our own alignment too?)
    Thanks a lot Gengy for the awesome... just a sec... avatar. :)

3. - Top - End - #123
    Dwarf in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

Continuing with Wizard, to Wizard 4.

4. - Top - End - #124
    Titan in the Playground

Mmmmh good question...

Is that something that I would put on my character sheet? After all skills and feats do not translate between real life and D&D game.

In real life I probably revere the christian god, I am not the most pious of followers, and wouldn't qualify for the true believer feat but I do pray and attend to the rites on occasion. If I can "game" the system though I am going with Mystra.
    It'll key off of your sincere belief. Does that prove the existence of deific beings? Ask the people of Eberron, I guess. AFAIK they're still arguing about it.

(Interestingly spiritual weapon can also be used to check for alignments. Do we set our own alignment too?)
    You set your alignment by acting in accordance with an alignment. Boy, the philosophers are gonna have a field day with this, aren't they?

5. - Top - End - #125
    Troll in the Playground

NecromancerGirl

Troacctid very kindly put down "erudite or wizard" from my less than informative post last year. I suppose that means the choice was put off until this year.

Hell, let's go full Mind Mage. Of course, since I'm not an illumian, and I didn't think to take the wizard level first, early entry is a bit troublesome. I can use Eldritch Corruption, though...

Human erudite 2/wizard 1/erudite +1
    Feats: Eldritch Corruption, Extend Spell, Dual-Plane Summons, Psicrystal Affinity.

I'm really shaping up to be an upstanding citizen!

Oh, and an ability increase, so Intelligence gets to be 14! Next three years should be Cerebremancer levels, since I need a second psi-spell feat to enter Mind Mage.
    Last edited by ExLibrisMortis; 2020-01-13 at 08:25 PM.
    Spoiler: Collectible nice things
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Faily View Post
    Read ExLibrisMortis' post...

WHY IS THERE NO LIKE BUTTON?!
    Quote Originally Posted by Keledrath View Post
    Libris: look at your allowed sources. I don't think any of your options were from those.
    My incarnate/crusader. A self-healing crowd-control melee build (ECL 8).
    My Ruby Knight Vindicator barsader. A party-buffing melee build (ECL 14).

6. - Top - End - #126
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Troacctid View Post
    It'll key off of your sincere belief. Does that prove the existence of deific beings? Ask the people of Eberron, I guess. AFAIK they're still arguing about it.
    So, once my Pathfinder "Cleric of me" believes in myself enough, he'll get spells?

7. - Top - End - #127
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    So, once my Pathfinder "Cleric of me" believes in myself enough, he'll get spells?
    Believe in the you who believes in you!
    Quote Originally Posted by digiman619 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosi View Post
    In general, this is favorable to the casters.
    3.5 in a nutshell, ladies and gents.
    Winner of MSE's Card of the Week #106 and #131
    You can now bind me as a vestige!

8. - Top - End - #128
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Quertus View Post
    A cleric's power stems from a deep, sincere conviction. As a cleric of an ideal, you have to truly have faith in whatever ideal you venerate, and devote yourself to it. That's not the same as having self-confidence, as the idiomatic phrase "believe in myself" typically connotes, but self-confidence would be important if you have an ideal like Pride. Does that make sense?

9. - Top - End - #129
    Dwarf in the Playground

Planetar

Hey Happy new year everyone!

Like last year I am still going with Psion Telepath now to level 4

Here the stats again:
    STR 9
    DEX 8
    CON 10
    INT 13+1 (due to level 4)
    WIS 11
    CHA 12

Feats:
    (Human): Skill Focus Concentration, (1st Level): Overchannel, (1st Level Bonus): Talented, (3rd Level): Psionic Endowment

Skills:
    Concentration 7
    Diplomacy 7
    Knowledge Psionics 7
    Knowledge Tech 7
    Knowledge Local 1
    Last edited by Thaneus; 2020-01-14 at 04:48 AM.

10. - Top - End - #130
    Ogre in the Playground

Time ro become religious and pick up a level of Paladin of Freedom. Angling for a sorcadin.

Sorcerer 2/Paladin of Freedom 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Raven777 View Post
    Sorcerers are also based on Charisma. If a Wizard studies the cheat codes to reality, the Sorcerer literally just glares or winks at the universe. And the universe listens.
    Quote Originally Posted by foobar1969 View Post
    Flexibility is awesome, but I'd sacrifice that spellbook in a heartbeat to be a 24-7 flying hentai apocalypse demon.

First Eternal foe of the Draconic Lord, battling him across the multiverse in whatever shapes and forms he may take.

11. - Top - End - #131
    Bugbear in the Playground

I feel I should ask just to make sure, but when cultivating magical plants you can still increase the DC to ignore spell prerequisites, right? Otherwise my plan to take do that is a bit sunk. Current plan is to take Material Mastery discovery then use master craftsman to qualify for craft wondrous item (and thus cultivate magical plant). Got a trait bonus to my alchemy that will counteract the +2 to the DC from ignoring spells thanks to material mastery.

12. - Top - End - #132
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by RatElemental View Post
    I feel I should ask just to make sure, but when cultivating magical plants you can still increase the DC to ignore spell prerequisites, right? Otherwise my plan to take do that is a bit sunk. Current plan is to take Material Mastery discovery then use master craftsman to qualify for craft wondrous item (and thus cultivate magical plant). Got a trait bonus to my alchemy that will counteract the +2 to the DC from ignoring spells thanks to material mastery.
    I don't know Pathfinder well enough to say. Whatever it says in the rules, I guess?

13. - Top - End - #133
    Dwarf in the Playground

This is my first thread, so this is an important choice. I'm going to have to go with Artificer 1. Artificer has plenty of day-to-day versatility with the infusions, and I can get the important stuff like teleport and invisibility on magic items. I tried to avoid having a spellbook because that's a huge amount of money, and I assumed that I would be on my own.

Artificer 1
    Abilities: 8, 11, 9, 13, 12, 10
    Traits: Absentminded, Polite
    Flaws: Vulnerable
    Feats:
    1st: Magical Training (Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mending)
    Flaw: Hidden Talent (Psionic Minor Creation) (it's a staple for a reason)
    Human: Extraordinary Artisan
    Skill ranks: Concentration 4, Know(Engineering) 4, Open Lock 4, Spellcraft 4, UMD 4
    My username should have been HisHighestMinion, with an N.
    15 is an unusual character limit.

14. - Top - End - #134
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by HisHighestMinio View Post
    This is my first thread, so this is an important choice. I'm going to have to go with Artificer 1. Artificer has plenty of day-to-day versatility with the infusions, and I can get the important stuff like teleport and invisibility on magic items. I tried to avoid having a spellbook because that's a huge amount of money, and I assumed that I would be on my own.

Artificer 1
    Abilities: 8, 11, 9, 13, 12, 10
    Traits: Absentminded, Polite
    Flaws: Vulnerable
    Feats:
    1st: Magical Training (Dancing Lights, Prestidigitation, Mending)
    Flaw: Hidden Talent (Psionic Minor Creation) (it's a staple for a reason)
    Human: Extraordinary Artisan
    Skill ranks: Concentration 4, Know(Engineering) 4, Open Lock 4, Spellcraft 4, UMD 4
    If you haven't been reading the previous posts, I'll just mention that xp isn't a river. More specifically, you'll be limited to a maximum of 20 per week at level 1, and an unspecified amount more at higher levels. That's fine for a few scrolls a week, but crafting Wondrous Items will really tax that. All the other cool stuff Artificers do should still work, though.

15. - Top - End - #135
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    If you haven't been reading the previous posts, I'll just mention that xp isn't a river. More specifically, you'll be limited to a maximum of 20 per week at level 1, and an unspecified amount more at higher levels. That's fine for a few scrolls a week, but crafting Wondrous Items will really tax that. All the other cool stuff Artificers do should still work, though.
    I specified 20 xp per level per week, up to a maximum total of 1000 xp per level stored at a time. Which is pretty generous, honestly. You only need 1/25 the item's market price in xp, so that's 25,000 gp's worth for your first year. It's a meaningful limitation, but you should have more than enough to work with.

It's Sculpt Self that really has to worry about xp. The xp cost for prestige races is significantly higher: to duplicate existing magic items with it, you need 2040% of the item's market price in xp rather than 4%. (20% for slotless items, 40% for slotted items.)

16. - Top - End - #136

Meanwhile pathfinder builds don't have to worry about exp at all.

17. - Top - End - #137
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kalkra View Post
    I did read those posts. Honestly, I'm more worried about gold costs. I'm fine with spending my PC's entire WBL on magic items, but IRL I have more important things to spend money on. Plus I can't loot a dragon's hoard so I have to actually work for my money.
    Last edited by HisHighestMinio; 2020-01-16 at 05:49 PM.
    My username should have been HisHighestMinion, with an N.
    15 is an unusual character limit.

18. - Top - End - #138

RedWizardGuy

To note down now and expand upon at a moment when most of my free time is not being devoured by various commitments:

3.5: Another level of Factotum, for Factotum 4!

Pathfinder: Another level of Investigator, for Psychic Detective Investigator 4. Still going the same old game and appreciating that extra point of Inspiration.

Question,though: Is having Automatic Bonus Progression allowed, and if so, how would it affect my real-life income/wealth, since it calls for making a character have 1/2 WBL?

3PP: Another level of Prodigy, for Scholar 2/Prodigy 2. I can now temporarily pick up whatever talent I like, if only for a minute a few times a day. Also, assuming the gold cost is equivalent for calculating costs, I'd like to enter into an Oath of Poverty, because while it'd certainly prohibit me from making use of/owning magical items, it allows for a reasonable level of non-magical-item-filled living, at least at this level, and I'm not much for magic items anyway. Plus it technically doesn't prevent you from having money saved, so one doesn't have to worry as much about having to beg for the money to pay rent or have food to eat.
    Newest Work: Pyromancer - My submission for Base Class Contest X
    Vote here.

Awesome Quotes:

Quote Originally Posted by chess435 View Post
    May Chuck Norris smile upon you.

Finall got an Extended Homebrew Signature, courtesy of Cipherthe3vil

19. - Top - End - #139
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    Question,though: Is having Automatic Bonus Progression allowed, and if so, how would it affect my real-life income/wealth, since it calls for making a character have 1/2 WBL?
    Campaign-level variant rules that would normally apply to all characters are not in play.

20. - Top - End - #140
    Dwarf in the Playground

Beholder

Quote Originally Posted by Pyromancer999 View Post
    T
    Ultimate Covenant Magic from Purple Duck Games has a transactional shamanistic magic system- you make a deal with an outsider, or undead, or fey, that sort of thing, and you get supernatural feats out of it.

One of these feats is to get ABP but you have to sacrifice your wealth to do so.

21. - Top - End - #141
    Pixie in the Playground

RogueGuy

Lightbulb Re: You just gained a level in real life: 2020 edition!

1st level of Dragon Shaman(Copper)
    Human
    13 Charisma
    12 Constitution
    11 Strength
    10 Dexterity
    9 Wisdom
    8 Intelligence
    Auras: Vigor, Toughness, and Power

I picked Dragon Shaman because it doesn't rely on good scores and will help others who don't have good scores.

22. - Top - End - #142
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

I think I'll try to research an xp version of Fabricate. i.e. a spell with a scaling xp cost that makes something akin to Distilled Joy or Liquid Pain, but ideally also usable for Sculpt Self. I'd like a good conversion rate, but even 1:1 could work if a) I could cast it on other people or I had an item that cast it at-will that I gave to people and b) random people on the street have xp, and ideally won't be affected by having it drained.

This seems like the only way to farm xp short of Plane Shifting to Dal Quor or something.

23. - Top - End - #143
    Dwarf in the Playground

AssassinGuy

New for me, but I saw the homage thread someone else posted, so glad to find this!

So... level one for me... hmm...

Well since Pathfinder 3PP is permitted, I'm doing what I promised I'd do there: I'm starting out as a level 1 Bladewalker Armiger. I usually don't go combat but I love the idea of the Warp Sphere and summoning weapons to me. And the ability to teleport for free (within a close area) every turn has a lot of use for someone who can't normally walk well due to an injured leg.

I'll grab Spellfire Wielder still to let me use magic that I run into to heal myself, if only a bit. And Weapon Finesse so I can rely on Dexterity instead of Strength.

I'll probably start Dexterity 13, Intelligence 12, Charisma 11, Constitution 10, Strength 8, Wisdom 9. As it's Pathfinder, I'll get a +2 to an Attribute... probably Charisma, because I wouldn't mind a bit more charm in life.

24. - Top - End - #144
    Pixie in the Playground

BlackDragon

Ok, I guess ill reflect a bit of me in the character:

Human Wizard (Instructor archetype)

Str 8
    Dex 10
    Con 12
    Int 15
    Wis 11
    Cha 9

Language: common, varisian, skald

Feats:
    Apprentice (adjutant student)
    Universalist
    Scribe scroll (writing academic papers)
    Endurance
    Magical aptitude

Trait: Magical talent

Skills: 5
    Diplomacy 1+0-1
    Profession (teacher) 1+3+0
    Knowledge (arcana) 1+3+2
    Knowledge (nature) 1+3+2
    Spellcraft 1+3+2+2

Magic:
    CL:1
    DC: 12+Spell level
    Spells per day:
    Level 0: 3
    Level 1: 2
    Spells known (magic book):
    Level 0: all
    Level 1: 5

(I Teach physics, so it is like a kind of magic)

25. - Top - End - #145
    Titan in the Playground

For my part, I'm going to continue as a bardic sage in my 3.5 incarnation. Since I can cast 2nd level spells now, I have access to the ever-useful locate object and heroism. Meanwhile, over in 3PP, I've gained another spherecasting level, giving me some more Warp and Alteration abilities, with Cursed Form as my 5th level feat so that I can make alterations permanent.

26. - Top - End - #146
    Halfling in the Playground

Taking my third level in Factotum. I'm now well on my way to getting int to everything.

27. - Top - End - #147
    Pixie in the Playground

Third-party Pathfinder

Human Wizard

Nonelite array:
    Stats: Str 8, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 13, Wis 9, Cha 10

+2 to Int from being human:
    Stats: Str 8, Dex 11, Con 12, Int 15, Wis 9, Cha 10

Favored Class: Wizard (+ 1 hit point per level)

Skill Ranks per level: 5
    (2 (from Wizard) + 2 (from Int Modifier) + 1 (from Finding Your Kin Trait)

Hit Points per level: d6 +3
    (1 (from Favored Class) + 1 (from Con Modifier) + 1 (from Finding Your Kin Trait)

Feats:

Auspicious Birth (Apparent Retrograde)
    Island Blood (Granted Class Skills: Bluff, Diplomacy)

Traits:

Finding Your Kin (Campaign Trait, Favored Class: Wizard) (gain additional +1 hit point and 1 additional skill point per level)
    Second Chance (Religion Trait)

Skills:

** To Be Decided

https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/gener...picious-birth/
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/gener.../hermean-blood
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/camp...inding-haleen/
    https://www.d20pfsrd.com/traits/reli...ra-zuzaristan/
    Last edited by Stoic; 2020-02-24 at 02:04 AM.

28. - Top - End - #148
    Dwarf in the Playground

Technical question, but what's the difference between 3.5 3PP and Pathfinder 3PP?

Especially if it was published by Paizo.

I really want Kung Fu Genius from Dragon Magazine Compendium.
    "Love is at the heart of everything: all learning, all relationships. Love, or the lack of it." - Fred Rogers

29. - Top - End - #149
    Dwarf in the Playground

Devil

Quote Originally Posted by FaerieGodfather View Post
    Technical question, but what's the difference between 3.5 3PP and Pathfinder 3PP?

Especially if it was published by Paizo.

I really want Kung Fu Genius from Dragon Magazine Compendium.
    There's arguably no difference, as one could consider Pathfinder a massive 3rd Party addition to 3.5.

Also, Dragon Compendium is first party, so it's all moot in that case anyway. Anything from Dragon Magazine not in a Dragon Compendium is 3rd Party, which is still fine for this.

30. - Top - End - #150
    Pixie in the Playground

Oh ****, looking at the spreadsheet, I participated in 2016, holy cow. Ugh I made myself a Barbarian. Honestly, I've changed enough that I'd probably go Druid instead of Ranger. I kinda don't like the Barbarian pick either, but I'd rather only rebuild one thing about me, and I'll choose Ability Scores for that.

Level 2 Neutral Good Human Barbarian/Shapeshift-Druid

Strength 12
    Dexterity 8
    Constitution 10
    Intelligence 9
    Wisdom 13
    Charisma 11

Skills: Climb 4 ranks, Survival 4 ranks, Swim 4 ranks, Listen 4 ranks, Knowledge (Nature) 2 ranks, Spot 2 ranks

Spells: I would prepare Light, Mending, and Cure Minor Wounds on a regular basis. As a side note, Know Direction is hot garbage. For my 1st level spell, Endure Elements, Goodberry before an expedition, Pass Without Trace if need be.

Feats: Extra Rage, Reckless Rage, Wild Cohort

Flaw: Wild (Dragon 329)

Class Features: Fast Movement, illiteracy, Rage 3/day, Nature Sense (+2 Knowledge (Nature) and Survival), Wild Empathy, Shapeshift (Predator Form: Puma)

Wild Cohort: It's a tough choice. I feel like a Hawk would be really fun, but ultimately I think a Light Horse would be more practical.

With Predator Form and Rage, I get 22 Strength. Pretty good for level 2 and the non-elite array.