New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 92425262728293031323334
Results 991 to 1,018 of 1018
  1. - Top - End - #991
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

While the Exarch is using his gaseous form to get back after stealing the teleportation orb, you can see its colors as well.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #992
    Ogre in the Playground

Not so much a "thing I didn't notice" as an excuse to analyze Roy's character arc. So, Roy's role in the early strip was to be the Straight Man, the guy who reacts to jokes, not makes them, and also as by far the most competent member of the party. Hell, early on, he was pretty much the only competent member of the party other then Durkon, with V's ego, Haley's greed, Elan's idiocy, and ESPECIALLY Belkar's comical amounts of evil constantly causing problems. While Roy did learn to value his teammates (saving Elan from the bandits being a big turning-point), and, in turn, they slowly became better at their roles, I notice this does play into a not-oft-noted but major character flaw of his: Roy always assumes he knows best, even when he doesn't.

Lots of the times Roy has screwed up, it's because he made assumptions about the situation at hand, assuming he knew what was going on, and didn't listen to people trying to tell him otherwise. This has been played for a joke before IE this strip, where Nale assumes he'll have to do some hard work to sell his ruse...Only for Roy to just accept it at total face value. Or here, where he utterly brushes off the Deva trying to tell him about V's recent issues. Or, of course, the whole Vampire Durkon plotline, where he doesn't suspect a thing the entire time. Roy has a bad tendency to accept things at face value possibly born out of a sense of pride in his own intellect.

On a related note, this flaw can veer heavily into outright callousness, particularly when dealing with NPCs. Shojo's teleporting wizard springs to mind, where, as soon as his role in teleporting them is fulfilled, Roy forgets about him almost instantly. He even spells it out in this strip: "now that you've fulfilled your story purpose, I find I have no intrest in speaking to you any longer". But I digress. Point is, Roy's most common flaw is his tendency to ignore other people on the assumption he knows better. And i'd argue this ties into his character in an intersting way.

Not only in the aforementioned fact that, early on, he was in fact the most competent member of the party by a wide margin, but also his later revealed backstory: His little brother, Eric, died in an accident that is never spelled out, but whatever it was, it was Eugene's fault. Apparently, judging by what Durkon says and what Roy says, Eugene did something dangerous, Roy's mom was distracted, Roy knew it was dangerous and didn't warn his mom, because he was ten, and something happened that killed his younger brother. It's clear from what we see this is a traumatic experience, and, reading between the lines, I think this heavily influenced why Roy is the way he is: I can't speak for Roy, but, for most people, when you're a kid, you assume adults know what they're doing. They're bigger, stronger, smarter, they must know, and you take that. For Roy, he most likely didn't tell his mom because he assumed his dad knew better, this was before their relationship fell apart. And, when it backfired, that may have imbued a subconscious understanding: That people couldn't be trusted, even people who claimed to know better clearly could screw up if Roy didn't do something. I wouldn't be surprised if that may tie into his trouble listening to the ideas of others: Maybe, on some subconscious level, part of his brain still worries that, if he lets other people do stuff on their own, they'll screw it up and people will get hurt or killed, and it'll be his fault for not SAYING SOMETHING. And so he talks over people and assumes he knows better than them, because he's supposed to be responsible. If his dad, the one who was supposed to be an adult and supposed to know better, could so massively screw up...Clearly, it's all on him to make sure nothing goes wrong. I don't know, i'm guessing, but that seems to make sense to me.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2024-03-22 at 10:56 PM.

3. - Top - End - #993
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Analysis
    I don't have anything substantive to add; I just wanted to thank you for sharing what I thought was a very insightful post. I appreciated the analysis of Roy's character.

4. - Top - End - #994
    Pixie in the Playground

In 841 "Lunchtime", the ancestry murals are already visible around the door before the reveal - even as topped by a dragon.

5. - Top - End - #995
    Bugbear in the Playground

BlueWizardGirl

In the course of reading an annotated (by Tolkien!) translation of Beowulf, I have discovered that Wrecan (well, technically, wrecca, with the plural being wreccan) is the Old English for “adventurer”.
    Last edited by LadyEowyn; 2024-03-31 at 05:56 AM.

6. - Top - End - #996
    Ettin in the Playground

I never noticed the soldier dropping his shield to grab the scroll near the middle of the second page (panels 5-6) here.
    Cool!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

7. - Top - End - #997
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I never noticed the soldier dropping his shield to grab the scroll near the middle of the second page (panels 5-6) here.
    Cool!
    That was the first OOTS I ever read, and I don't recall ever noticing that, either. Truly a "classic for a reason."
    Quote Originally Posted by godsflunky View Post
    It'll be a wild ride, and I can't wait to see all the twists and turns, but we'll be fine.

This is gonna be great.

8. - Top - End - #998
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

Ouch. I feel like learning about that adds just a bit of extra sting to V's later guilt over abandoning the soldiers.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

9. - Top - End - #999
    Colossus in the Playground

It does, and also to explaining their attitude toward the Katos and the rest of the Azurite fleet: they want to believe that NPCs are essentially vermin because if they are, there's no reason to feel guilty about the deaths of people who never revealed their names.

10. - Top - End - #1000
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

Although in this strip V does save that soldier from a fall, along with another who had been on top of the same piece of masonry. V doesn't return their thanks, however, as V well might have--which I also never noticed.

11. - Top - End - #1001
    Dwarf in the Playground

BardGuy

I've got a new one: Mr. Scruffy chasing Bloodfeast's tail during the fight with Serini and Sunny. (Last panel--apparently only the punchline ever got through to me on previous readings.)
    Last edited by Rollin; 2024-04-04 at 10:54 PM.

12. - Top - End - #1002
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Rollin View Post
    I've got a new one: Mr. Scruffy chasing Bloodfeast's tail during the fight with Serini and Sunny. (Last panel--apparently only the punchline ever got through to me on previous readings.)
    I think that's more Mr. Scruffy trying to throw Bloodfeast off.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

13. - Top - End - #1003
    Barbarian in the Playground

I just noticed that, in 464, when Soon says he's fading to the celestial realms, he's actually fading a little on each panel.

That seems obvious in retrospect, but I never paid attention to it

14. - Top - End - #1004
    Pixie in the Playground

it is interesting that in #235, Roy says "The lesson here is that if the magic item does not specifically say it grows hair, it probably doesn't." However, in #9, that same girdle caused the ogre to lose hair while wearing it, as all the ogres in the fight were bald, and the dead ogre has long hair.

15. - Top - End - #1005
    Titan in the Playground

I presume that ogre just wasn't in-panel and they grew hair after putting it on. The slow way, I mean.
    Last edited by danielxcutter; 2024-04-15 at 07:16 AM.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #1006
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    I presume that ogre just wasn't in-panel and they grew hair after putting it on. The slow way, I mean.
    I disagree. In #5, Roy said about the original ogre that they have "attracted two of his friends", bringing the total to three ogres. In that same comic, there is a panel with all three ogres visible, and all of them are bald.

17. - Top - End - #1007
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Roy is bald, the ogre is just shaving.

18. - Top - End - #1008

In the search montage at #692, I never noticed that Haley is sleeping holding the cactus flower Elan "fought" earlier, and has a big smile. It's a smalll detail, but awwwww.
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-04-16 at 10:54 AM.

19. - Top - End - #1009
    Titan in the Playground

Also the scorpion that was chasing Mr. Scruffy was killed and was being cooked by Belkar in the next panel.

Extended sig here.

20. - Top - End - #1010
    Orc in the Playground

RedWizardGuy

And Elan has cactus spines in him (two in his head and one in his arm) as he is sleeping next to Haley.
    This space for rent.

21. - Top - End - #1011
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    but awwwww.
    [G-L-A-R-E-S.] You are bad and you should feel bad.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-04-16 at 02:30 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1012
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a reference I'm missing here and do I want to understand it.

Extended sig here.

23. - Top - End - #1013
    Ogre in the Playground

Devil

Is there a reference I'm missing here and do I want to understand it.
    You mean, in Meta's post? Meta pretends to be a flower on this forum and gets angry when people hurt or disparage plants (or birds. He loves birdies.). For example when Elan fights a cactus just to steal its flower for his lover and people find that romantic.
    How would you feel like if a tree broke into your home and cut off your genitalia as a gift for a lady-tree?

24. - Top - End - #1014
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Tzardok View Post
    How would you feel like if a tree broke into your home and cut off your genitalia as a gift for a lady-tree?
    Regardless of my other feelings, i have to admit i would be very impressed.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

25. - Top - End - #1015
    Titan in the Playground

The Azurite samurai leader is invisible next to the elven captain, you can see their eyes. Just their eyes, I dunno why, but still.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #1016

You mean, in Meta's post? Meta pretends to be a flower on this forum and gets angry when people hurt or disparage plants (or birds. He loves birdies.). For example when Elan fights a cactus just to steal its flower for his lover and people find that romantic.
    And now, we know why the Lady-Ents departed, never to return.

(In real life, I'm the kind of guy who can't pick a flower because they're too pretty in nature ^^)
    Last edited by Kardwill; 2024-04-17 at 08:30 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1017
    Firbolg in the Playground

pretends
    [G-L-A-R-E-S.]

and gets angry when people hurt or disparage plants (or birds. He loves birdies.)
    Ah, damn. You know me to well; I can't be mad at you. [U-N-G-L-A-R-E-S.]

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Regardless of my other feelings, i have to admit i would be very impressed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kardwill View Post
    And now, we know why the Lady-Ents departed, never to return.
    For the record, mammalian genitalia are incredibly disgusting and I have no idea who thought your going with them was a good idea. You can all keep those.

(In real life, I'm the kind of guy who can't pick a flower because they're too pretty in nature ^^)
    If I were a government, you'd now get a medal.

The Azurite samurai leader is invisible next to the elven captain, you can see their eyes. Just their eyes, I dunno why, but still.
    So that we know he doesn't have any. [Runs away.]
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2024-04-17 at 08:53 AM.

28. - Top - End - #1018
    Pixie in the Playground

In #779, i didn't notice the lead pun in the title.