New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 12 of 34 FirstFirst ... 2345678910111213141516171819202122 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #331
    Bugbear in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

I just noticed that in the world of sentient theatre snacks, Soda is attacking Pizza with a pizza cutter.
    Assistant Treasurer of the Haley fan club
    Crewman of the Bandana fan club

2. - Top - End - #332
    Firbolg in the Playground

Just realized this: after the fight with the ogres (during which all the ogres were killed) Roy could have just picked up the greatsword the one with class levels carried, but for some reason he sticked with his club.

3. - Top - End - #333
    Ogre in the Playground

Elan is blowing into the wrong end of his kazoo.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0198.html

From Wiki: "A kazoo player hums, rather than blows, into the bigger and flattened side of the instrument."
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

4. - Top - End - #334
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Just realized this: after the fight with the ogres (during which all the ogres were killed) Roy could have just picked up the greatsword the one with class levels carried, but for some reason he sticked with his club.
    Ogres are large, and thus presumably their weapons are appropriate for their size:
    Inappropriately Sized Weapons
    A creature can’t make optimum use of a weapon that isn’t properly sized for it. A cumulative -2 penalty applies on attack rolls for each size category of difference between the size of its intended wielder and the size of its actual wielder.
    Roy may have preferred to not incur in the penalty over a bit more damage.

GW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-10-26 at 04:14 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

5. - Top - End - #335
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Elan is blowing into the wrong end of his kazoo.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0198.html

From Wiki: "A kazoo player hums, rather than blows, into the bigger and flattened side of the instrument."
    Today I learned I've always played kazoos wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Ogres are large, and thus presumably their weapons are appropriate for their size:

GW
    I was right about to point that out myself.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

6. - Top - End - #336
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

In a bonus comic before entering the wood to find starmetal Roy has the opportunity to pass by the famous sword tree. (OK we can't blame Roy for that) But, also, he had the opportunity to arm himself from the dragon hoard and chose not to. Basically Roy's attachement to his ancestral sword has clouded his judgement more than once. Nothing says he couldn't have taken a usable sword from the hoard while he waited to get his greatsword repaired.

Haley points this out in a comic I can't find right now.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-10-27 at 04:15 AM.

7. - Top - End - #337

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    Yeah, I realized that in the meantime myself (also, there is no „presumably” there: the ogre greatclubs, for instance, are visibly larger than what Roy carries).

GW
    Hm. You made me think there. We know that Roy has Weapon Focus and Weapon Specialization for greatswords. That would mean that the penalty for the size would be reduced to -1, while he could deal 3d6+2 damage with the large-sized greatsword instead of the 1d10 of the club. That's quite the difference, y'see.

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Haley points this out in a comic I can't find right now.
    It could be strip no. 146, although that one has Belkar instead of Haley.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2020-10-27 at 05:15 AM.

8. - Top - End - #338
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

It could be strip no. 146, although that one has Belkar instead of Haley.
    That has the right dialogue, I think you are right. I only remembered the dragon hoard, that they got treausre off Xykon completely escaped my mind, and so logically thought it was Haley doing the talking. Now I have an excuse to re read OOTS though for a bit.

Incidentally the Tree of Swords scene only in the books is just after this comic, so I must have gotten it mixed up and thinking it was later.

Actually the more I think there must be another scene somewhere because Haley was definitely saying something about Roy's masculinity being too tied up into his sword. Maybe am conflating two scenes togther or something.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2020-10-27 at 07:58 AM.

9. - Top - End - #339

That has the right dialogue, I think you are right. I only remembered the dragon hoard, that they got treausre off Xykon completely escaped my mind, and so logically thought it was Haley doing the talking. Now I have an excuse to re read OOTS though for a bit.
    I'm useful!

Incidentally the Tree of Swords scene only in the books is just after this comic, so I must have gotten it mixed up and thinking it was later.
    What's in that scene, anyway?

Actually the more I think there must be another scene somewhere because Haley was definitely saying something about Roy's masculinity being too tied up into his sword. Maybe am conflating two scenes togther or something.
    You sure it wasn't a Durkon scene?

10. - Top - End - #340
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Basically Roy's attachement to his ancestral sword has clouded his judgement more than once.
    Which is odd, because he was perfectly willing to try a different weapon in the shop.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #341
    Ogre in the Playground

When Thanh get's dominated, both his eye have a different color. Another example of Tsukiko's double magic/double color in action.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

12. - Top - End - #342
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

I always thought that this comic is a hint that the snarl (if it exists?) is not as dangerous and killing as it is told in all the stories. Today I noticed one guard being stabbed by the purple "tentacles".

13. - Top - End - #343
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Verdruss View Post
    I always thought that this comic is a hint that the snarl (if it exists?) is not as dangerous and killing as it is told in all the stories. Today I noticed one guard being stabbed by the purple "tentacles".
    Yeah. Unfortunately, he's wearing a helmet, so we can't see the (presumably) x'd-out eyes.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

14. - Top - End - #344
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Yeah. Unfortunately, he's wearing a helmet, so we can't see the (presumably) x'd-out eyes.
    If he's lucky. If the Snarl really only consumes souls, the body might still be alive and in a catatonic state (which is what I half-way suspect may have happened to Lauren).

But yes, it is ambiguous enough it could turn out that the Snarl is just a teddy bear who just wants hugs and hasn't harmed anyone. I doubt it, but without a follow up panel, it could be.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #345
    Ogre in the Playground

Yeah the point of that comic if definitely that we previously had some evidence that the snarl might not exist, but in fact it does and it can kill people.

16. - Top - End - #346
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    However, Tarquin's soldiers have X's on their helmets when they die. One might reasonably assume it's the same for the weepies. The lack of X's on the helmet might show that he's still alive.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

17. - Top - End - #347
    Pixie in the Playground

GnomePirate

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    Yeah the point of that comic if definitely that we previously had some evidence that the snarl might not exist, but in fact it does and it can kill people.
    Actually I'm still in camp "Snarl does not exist"(is there a camp? Am I the only one?), at least in the sense it is portrayed in then scribbles. I think it's pretty interesting and definitely on purpose that we haven't seen any scary eyes or claws as part of the snarl. I have my theories about what it might be instead but for me it is definitely no hateful "I want to break free" world consuming creature.

18. - Top - End - #348
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    However, Tarquin's soldiers have X's on their helmets when they die. One might reasonably assume it's the same for the weepies. The lack of X's on the helmet might show that he's still alive.
    Nitpick: those soldiers are from the Empire of Sweat, not the Empire of Tears. I think they're called the Sweaters but I could be wrong.

Actually I'm still in camp "Snarl does not exist"(is there a camp? Am I the only one?), at least in the sense it is portrayed in then scribbles. I think it's pretty interesting and definitely on purpose that we haven't seen any scary eyes or claws as part of the snarl. I have my theories about what it might be instead but for me it is definitely no hateful "I want to break free" world consuming creature.
    That wouldn't really be called the "Snarl doesn't exist" camp so much as it would be the "Snarl is of a different nature than we were told", but I wouldn't rule that out so far. Not yet, at least.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #349
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    That wouldn't really be called the "Snarl doesn't exist" camp so much as it would be the "Snarl is of a different nature than we were told", but I wouldn't rule that out so far. Not yet, at least.
    Yeah, I think #945 confirms it definitely exists; I'm also giving credence to the stories we've heard about it, now that some of that information has come directly from Thor.

20. - Top - End - #350
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Yeah, I think #945 confirms it definitely exists; I'm also giving credence to the stories we've heard about it, now that some of that information has come directly from Thor.
    Hmm, fair enough. Maybe there might be a twist in the aspects aside from that or something. Probably related to the World in the Rifts or something.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #351
    Ettin in the Playground

There's definitely enough we don't know that I'm not confident coming to any strong conclusions about what's really going on there.

22. - Top - End - #352
    Bugbear in the Playground

I just noticed that in 648, it's really hard to tell who the "good guys" if you look at it out of context.
    Ever wondered how many games are mentioned in the comic? I have listed them all in a geeklist: https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/2...es-order-stick

23. - Top - End - #353

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Humanist View Post
    I just noticed that in 648, it's really hard to tell who the "good guys" if you look at it out of context.
    It's actually one of the reasons why I used to think Haley was neutral instead of good. The book expands a bit on the causes for Haley's actions, however.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

24. - Top - End - #354
    Orc in the Playground

BlueKnightGuy

Lightbulb Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

The Weeping King's Throne of Regrets is shaped like what a stick figure's eyebrows look like when crying.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html
    How to turn off these annoying .sigs:

1. Edit your profile options.
    2. Scroll down to "Visible Post Elements".
    3. Uncheck "Show Signatures".
    4. Save changes.
    5. Enjoy a much less cluttered and noisy forum.

25. - Top - End - #355
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Finagle View Post
    The Weeping King's Throne of Regrets is shaped like what a stick figure's eyebrows look like when crying.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html
    Well found! I honestly didn't know that until now.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #356
    Ettin in the Playground

Wow. I can't believe I never noticed this: It Probably Squeaks, Too applies to the closed door.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

27. - Top - End - #357
    Troll in the Playground

WhiteWizardGirl

In the fourth to last panel of 1223, there is a portal shimmer while Roy's back is turned. That's why he didn't know Blackwing had already left despite the obvious effects that entering/leaving the portal have.

28. - Top - End - #358
    Halfling in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Why is Belkar sleeping in Varsuuvius' room?

Secret affair? Bring the Crack Pairing Thread back!
    The difference between Mace Windu and Miko Miyazaki:

Quote Originally Posted by Math_Mage View Post
    It's one thing to take on a Sith Lord outside the law; bisecting an unarmed octogenarian is a little different.

29. - Top - End - #359
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth V View Post

Because Haley sleeps with Elan now? The Mechane only has so many cabins.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

30. - Top - End - #360
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Darth V View Post

Check 1191 panel three. V is reporting (to Roy) that Belkar is sleeping.

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Because Haley sleeps with Elan now? The Mechane only has so many cabins.
    In 1013 we can see only one bed in that room.

Just some fuel for a silly theory.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build