New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 14 of 35 FirstFirst ... 456789101112131415161718192021222324 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #391
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Or Rich simply doesn't care about the rules minutia anymore.
    Why would I let the obvious truth stop me from being amused at oblique self-reference?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

2. - Top - End - #392

Because it confuses us when you reference somebody other than The Giant? Now I'll have to rethink if I want to get Summon Banana VI.

3. - Top - End - #393
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Because it confuses us when you reference somebody other than The Giant?
    That's not oblique reference, that's direct reference.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    As far as this thread goes, or any other attempt to align the events of the comic with D&D, my suggestion is to treat the comic as if it is based on "OOTS RPG," a hypothetical game that is exactly like D&D in every way—except for those ways that the comic shows that it isn't. Everything is D&D until proven otherwise. Because that's sort of how I write it; I use the D&D rules when they fit into the story (and I remember them), and break them when they don't. Thus, you can still extrapolate D&D stats of the characters unless I show something that simply defies the game as written—like Roy casting a fireball. And you can still make predictions about what might happen in the future as if it were all going to unfold according to the D&D rules, as long as you understand that hey, maybe I might fudge that one. And then don't complain if I do.
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

4. - Top - End - #394
    Ogre in the Playground

RangerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I suppose it's possible he defeated a rival cleric of a faith that has access to that spell, and that cleric happened to be carrying the scroll at the time.

How long would it take for a cleric to create such a scroll? Could he have spent some time at Firmament writing it?
    That's what I'm more focused on: whether or not his domain allowed him to use it, Horrid Wilting just didn't seem at all within the living Exarch's philosophical wheelhouse, although it fits perfectly within Hel's. Defeating a rival who was carrying it does make some sense.
    Last edited by Ionathus; 2021-02-26 at 11:54 AM.

5. - Top - End - #395
    Titan in the Playground

I would personally not be surprised if someone paid him for something with spare scrolls instead of money and he died before he could sell them, but of course we don't know what happened.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

6. - Top - End - #396
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Ionathus View Post
    That's what I'm more focused on: whether or not his domain allowed him to use it, Horrid Wilting just didn't seem at all within the living Exarch's philosophical wheelhouse, although it fits perfectly within Hel's. Defeating a rival who was carrying it does make some sense.
    He is part of the Creed of Stone. Plants disrupt stone and break it apart, as we have seen. I have no problem with a homebrew domain for those in the creed having Horrid Wilting be a domain spell.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #397
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    He is part of the Creed of Stone. Plants disrupt stone and break it apart, as we have seen. I have no problem with a homebrew domain for those in the creed having Horrid Wilting be a domain spell.
    So the entire Creed was EVIL ALL ALONG?

8. - Top - End - #398

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    So the entire Creed was EVIL ALL ALONG?
    I'm confused?

9. - Top - End - #399
    Firbolg in the Playground

I'm confused?
    Gruesomely murdering planties is just plain wrong.

10. - Top - End - #400

Gruesomely murdering planties is just plain wrong.
    Don't tell Durkon.

11. - Top - End - #401
    Titan in the Playground

If he did the above just so that he can hurt poor planties, I'm afraid I have to conclude that HE WAS EVIL ALL ALONG.
    Of course, he was a rebellious youth, wasn't he? And, as we know from Tsukiko, any youngling that rejects established authority is inherently a moral monster. It just makes sense.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

12. - Top - End - #402
    Troll in the Playground

I was going to say "Isn't it possible it was just a scroll left around the council chamber, or somewhere else they stumbled upon in Firmament, to get rid of encroaching plant life," but I guess it is a level 8 spell and I don't know if it's reasonable that this place has casters that powerful. Really, I know very little about how scrolls work. At all.

EDIT: Ahh, I see now he does mention where they came from.
    Last edited by The Linker; 2021-02-26 at 06:28 PM.

13. - Top - End - #403
    Titan in the Playground

Elan demonstrates on panel 4 the power to see the future. Well, either that or V is right on panel 7.
    Forum Wisdom

14. - Top - End - #404
    Halfling in the Playground

MonkGuy

Quote Originally Posted by The Linker View Post
    I was going to say "Isn't it possible it was just a scroll left around the council chamber, or somewhere else they stumbled upon in Firmament, to get rid of encroaching plant life," but I guess it is a level 8 spell and I don't know if it's reasonable that this place has casters that powerful. Really, I know very little about how scrolls work. At all.

EDIT: Ahh, I see now he does mention where they came from.
    Nicely spotted, I hadn't noticed that.
    Check out the guys at MitD's thread!
    Quote Originally Posted by DaggerPen View Post
    I still need to trim it down based on publication date, etc., but for now, it's a start.
    It has almost 21k monsters at the moment.
    ... who says we've run out of monsters to check?

15. - Top - End - #405
    Ettin in the Playground

Kandro's line to Durkon in the second-to-last panel here takes on new weight considering what happens in the next strip.

16. - Top - End - #406
    Dwarf in the Playground

In the second-to-last panel in comic #1203 you can see Therkla in the background.

EDIT: Also, in comic 1233, panel 18, you can see Blackwing from the dead end.

EDIT 2: And in comic 1037, panel 7, it says Oona was planning on feeding O-Chul to the MITD. That would not have gone well.

EDIT 3: And in comic 864, panel 11, it talks about Sir Thumb getting defeated by some glass. That most likely has to do with Rich's hand injury that caused the delay.

EDIT 4: One of the things I noticed was found by MReav earlier:
    Quote Originally Posted by MReav View Post
    In the fourth to last panel of 1223, there is a portal shimmer while Roy's back is turned. That's why he didn't know Blackwing had already left despite the obvious effects that entering/leaving the portal have.
    Last edited by ziproot; 2021-03-23 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Added link

17. - Top - End - #407
    Ettin in the Playground

I just realized how the title of #836 ties into the final punchline.

18. - Top - End - #408
    Bugbear in the Playground

996:9 - What's actually happening to Belkar in that panel? According to the wiki he's "overcome" by his Protection from Evil, but I don't understand the basis for saying that. It looks like maybe gaseous Durkula is overtaking him, which seems to eliminate my initial thought of "He failed a saving throw against something that rendered him unable to struggle in the next few panels".

V is an elf, and thus does not require a bed. They may use one to trance on if one is available, but it's by no means necessary.
    Now I'm wondering how many parallels can be drawn between trancing and marital relations, for instance "Technically you're not required to".

19. - Top - End - #409

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    996:9 - What's actually happening to Belkar in that panel? According to the wiki he's "overcome" by his Protection from Evil, but I don't understand the basis for saying that. It looks like maybe gaseous Durkula is overtaking him, which seems to eliminate my initial thought of "He failed a saving throw against something that rendered him unable to struggle in the next few panels".
    He’s overcome by all the constant pain from the fact that he’s evil and protection from evil hurts him so he can’t focus.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

20. - Top - End - #410

He’s overcome by all the constant pain from the fact that he’s evil and protection from evil hurts him so he can’t focus.
    I understand that for Belkar PfE "doesn't exactly tickle", but I'm not clear on why that would cause an event only at the moment Durkula catches up to him. There's no evidence of it in any of the other panels where it's active, and while "he rolled a 1" is possible it's not especially satisfying if there are other possibilities or if there's a deeper explanation.

21. - Top - End - #411

I read it as Belkar is running, but it’s hurting too much (especially in combination with bite) so he falls down, letting Durkula catch up with him and attack him.
    Arrrgh, here be me extended sig!
    Spoiler: Read this if I've posted a theory in the post above
    Show

I recognize that Conservation of Detail is Overrated, but I find the event that I am using as evidence for my theory above important enough/given enough focus to qualify for what I call Elan’s Exception, “Who wastes perfectly good foreshadowing like that?”. Also I have never correctly predicted any event in any piece of media so take this theory with a grain of salt (I call this Peelee’s Ye Old Reminder).

22. - Top - End - #412
    Titan in the Playground

I understand that for Belkar PfE "doesn't exactly tickle", but I'm not clear on why that would cause an event only at the moment Durkula catches up to him. There's no evidence of it in any of the other panels where it's active, and while "he rolled a 1" is possible it's not especially satisfying if there are other possibilities or if there's a deeper explanation.
    If think the constant loss of hp just took its toll on him.
    Forum Wisdom

23. - Top - End - #413

I read it as Belkar is running, but it’s hurting too much (especially in combination with bite) so he falls down, letting Durkula catch up with him and attack him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    If think the constant loss of hp just took its toll on him.
    Indeed, the Giant doesn't have a problem with tossing exact game mechanics aside when it's needed to tell a better story -- I don't see it here, but as with all things subjective, YMMV.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

24. - Top - End - #414
    Ettin in the Playground

Roy is warning Belkar about being unable to heal damage with no Durkon, but he seems to have forgotten they have access to near unlimited quantities of healing potions.

I mean, now they don't, but I'd be highly surprised if they didn't take as many as they could carry when they left. And at the time, they were literally on top of the supply.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

25. - Top - End - #415
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Roy is warning Belkar about being unable to heal damage with no Durkon, but he seems to have forgotten they have access to near unlimited quantities of healing potions.

I mean, now they don't, but I'd be highly surprised if they didn't take as many as they could carry when they left. And at the time, they were literally on top of the supply.
    To be fair a) Roy probably doesn’t want to drain the Mechane’s resources too much(especially since the crew and the rest of the party needs them to heal as well), and b) he’s been adventuring longer with Durkon than anyone else I think.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #416
    Titan in the Playground

Also, he doesn't know that Belkar jumped carrying any potion (who might be destroyed by the fall, even).
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #417
    Dwarf in the Playground

The beginning of this strip happened in the past. It is just one of V's memories.
    My extended signature

Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

28. - Top - End - #418

Quote Originally Posted by ziproot View Post
    The beginning of this strip happened in the past. It is just one of V's memories.
    Until recently, I didn't know if V's "nightmares" about Azure City during trance were memories or dreams. With my human bias, I was thinking the latter was equally-or-more likely until I did a careful reread.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

29. - Top - End - #419
    Ogre in the Playground

Until recently, I didn't know if V's "nightmares" about Azure City during trance were memories or dreams. With my human bias, I was thinking the latter was equally-or-more likely until I did a careful reread.
    Seeing as V did indeed used Invisibility to flee (Page 2, Panel 7) the battle, that strengthens the idea. Maybe the words turned harsher because of V's poor mental state, but it is based on a memory.
    Last edited by Yanisa; 2021-04-12 at 11:51 PM.
    Proudly addicted to pointing out where exactly rules can be found.

Countdown to Belkar's death and my follow-up count gives us less then 3 weeks left. Poor Belkar.

___

What effects allow a saving throw?
    List of almost all 3.5 skills.
    Old PF Initiative Build

30. - Top - End - #420
    Titan in the Playground

Just realized that Durkon's dodging and jumping here is probably helped by scrags being aquatic trolls, which are giants like ogres.

Extended sig here.