New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 16 of 35 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314151617181920212223242526 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #451
    Colossus in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Hah, in the same strip where Sabine calls Vaarsuvius "elf dude," Nale calls V "elf chick."
    And later, in the bar when she's disguised as a geisha, she addresses Vaarsuvius as "sister."

2. - Top - End - #452
    Dwarf in the Playground

A goblin teenager says that goblins are usually neutral evil (panel 2) in OOTS.
    My extended signature

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Dictionary definitions never win debates, unless the topic up for debate is "what does the dictionary say about this"

3. - Top - End - #453
    Ettin in the Playground

I was reading an old thread (I get the urge to once in a while to see how people reacted to a certain development), and someone in the #763 discussion mentioned something I never noticed:

And exactly 150 strips later, notice where he casually places his hands toward the end of the strip.
    I just noticed he does the same thing in #819, panel 5-- and once you've read the whole strip, it's also obvious that in panel 5 he's looking at Nale.

One more: In the happy ending illusion of #887, Durkon has his eyes closed when they're on the flying carpet and destroying the phylactery, as befits his fear of flying.

4. - Top - End - #454
    Barbarian in the Playground

113:7

You can see Eric in panel 7, but then he doesn't make an appearance in panel 9 like he logically should, hinting at his death.

5. - Top - End - #455
    Bugbear in the Playground

One more: In the happy ending illusion of #887, Durkon has his eyes closed when they're on the flying carpet and destroying the phylactery, as befits his fear of flying.
    Technically, with all the spells Xykon has on it, it might not destroy the phylactery.

So in a million years or so, he may become someone else's problem after an eruption.
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    Founding (and so far, only) member of the Greyview Appreciation Society
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

6. - Top - End - #456
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by arimareiji View Post
    Technically, with all the spells Xykon has on it, it might not destroy the phylactery.

So in a million years or so, he may become someone else's problem after an eruption.
    Technically, that whole thing is an illusion, so whatever Roy and company believe needs to be done to successfully destroy the phylactery will have been done.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2021-04-25 at 08:26 PM.

7. - Top - End - #457
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Technically, that whole thing is an illusion, so whatever Roy and company believe needs to be done to successfully destroy the phylactery will have been done.
    Aye. Even if it somehow doesn't destroy the phylactery, how's Xykon gonna regenerate in a pit of lava?
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #458
    Barbarian in the Playground

Aye. Even if it somehow doesn't destroy the phylactery, how's Xykon gonna regenerate in a pit of lava?
    Very carefully.

9. - Top - End - #459

Indeed. It seems about as literal of an eternal damnation to "fire and brimstone" as you can get, except for the whole "might get tossed out in a million years".

Geeky question for DM's: Would you just automatically make him a demilich, and may whatever gods still exist take mercy on whoever lives anywhere nearby?
    "Just a Sec Mate" avatar courtesy of Gengy. I'm often somewhere between it, and this gif. (^_~)
    "Only certainty in life: When icy jaws of death come, you will not have had enough treats. Nod. Get treat."

10. - Top - End - #460
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Indeed. It seems about as literal of an eternal damnation to "fire and brimstone" as you can get, except for the whole "might get tossed out in a million years".

Geeky question for DM's: Would you just automatically make him a demilich, and may whatever gods still exist take mercy on whoever lives anywhere nearby?
    If I were DMing, nope. Sucks to be the lich.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

11. - Top - End - #461

If I were DMing, nope. Sucks to be the lich.
    I believe in this case, the appropriate expression would be a sarcastic "Couldn't happen to a nicer guy."

Never noticed, and not sure what to make of it:

Haley's speech bubbles change color when she tells Ian he didn't screw up her life, near the end of 774, which seems to indicate she's using the potion's magic to convince him of a lie. Not unexpected since I'd always thought that speech bubble was part of a very sad joke, with the punch line being the last panel: "The potion only works on things that aren't true."

But her speech bubble is still potion-colored in the last panel.

Accidental slip on the part of the Giant, or was her speech bubble in the last panel a perhaps-paradoxical lie?

12. - Top - End - #462
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe in this case, the appropriate expression would be a sarcastic "Couldn't happen to a nicer guy."

Never noticed, and not sure what to make of it:

Haley's speech bubbles change color when she tells Ian he didn't screw up her life, near the end of 774, which seems to indicate she's using the potion's magic to convince him of a lie. Not unexpected since I'd always thought that speech bubble was part of a very sad joke, with the punch line being the last panel: "The potion only works on things that aren't true."

But her speech bubble is still potion-colored in the last panel.

Accidental slip on the part of the Giant, or was her speech bubble in the last panel a perhaps-paradoxical lie?
    The speech bubble is still colored because the potion is still active. It doesn't strictly mean she has to be lying when she speaks-- any more than she was lying in the second-to-last panel of #767. At least, that's how I interpret it.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2021-04-25 at 09:39 PM.

13. - Top - End - #463

The speech bubble is still colored because the potion is still active. It doesn't strictly mean she has to be lying when she speaks-- any more than she was lying in the second-to-last panel of #767. At least, that's how I interpret it.
    True, but her speech bubbles in the previous panels are white... and I just noticed that in 768, there's a gradient of them fading from potion-colored to white when she tells Elan the presumable truth in panel 3. Curiouser and curiouser. (^_^)

14. - Top - End - #464
    Ogre in the Playground

True, but her speech bubbles in the previous panels are white... and I just noticed that in 768, there's a gradient of them fading from potion-colored to white when she tells Elan the presumable truth in panel 3. Curiouser and curiouser. (^_^)
    They become colored again when they leave the anti magic zone. She probably deliberately steps over the line before lying to her father.

The bubble changes in the panel when she is literally crossing the line as she speaks.
    Last edited by Kornaki; 2021-04-25 at 09:59 PM.

15. - Top - End - #465

Quote Originally Posted by Kornaki View Post
    They become colored again when they leave the anti magic zone. She probably deliberately steps over the line before lying to her father.

The bubble changes in the panel when she is literally crossing the line as she speaks.
    Thank you! This made perfect sense, once I went back to look through with this in mind. (^_^)b

16. - Top - End - #466
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

Thank you! This made perfect sense, once I went back to look through with this in mind. (^_^)b
    Lol. Was just about to post this after reading the first post then seeing it was in fact answered. It's good when you remember to read to the finish before posting. And not get distracted and reply to something off page 1 of a 20 page thread.

It's a very neat trick of interaction there, always enjoyed it.

17. - Top - End - #467
    Titan in the Playground

While Minrah and Hilgya are both blondes, Minrah's hair is paler.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

18. - Top - End - #468
    Titan in the Playground

Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

19. - Top - End - #469

Quote Originally Posted by snowblizz View Post
    Lol. Was just about to post this after reading the first post then seeing it was in fact answered. It's good when you remember to read to the finish before posting. And not get distracted and reply to something off page 1 of a 20 page thread.

It's a very neat trick of interaction there, always enjoyed it.
    Ditto, and ditto. I was glad to have had my understanding of it expanded. (^_^)b
    (Wrt first ditto, yup... but sometimes it's sooooo tempting, especially when it's a new discussion thread.)

Spoiler: bad followup joke to the "Xykon's phylactery got dropped in lava" threadlet
    Show

Oh crap. Anyone who so much as has Green in their name, let alone Greenhilt... might be a good idea to change it, or hide, or both.

I think I saw something that looks like Redcloak's holy symbol come flying out, and if you thought Xykon was *-opathic any time he got bored in Azure City... imagine how he's gonna feel after a million years of watching bits of himself regenerate only to be instantly charred to powder. (^_~)

20. - Top - End - #470
    Ettin in the Playground

In #174 (panel 6), Gortok gives Miko the same "pamphlet" he gave Belkar in #132.

21. - Top - End - #471

In #174 (panel 6), Gortok gives Miko the same "pamphlet" he gave Belkar in #132.
    Never noticed, panel 5 isn't actually the Order's fault. And I'm so very happy to find out Thog didn't put "puppy" down when they left, because that orc is a lot more jacked up than I had thought through until recently.

22. - Top - End - #472
    Titan in the Playground

Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

23. - Top - End - #473
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

There's never really been any question about the fact that Z is male, if only because he's a joke about preexisting characters.

(Unless your point was more that it's odd for V to identify someone's gender, but I don't think that's really a common area of confusion either.)
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.

24. - Top - End - #474
    Ettin in the Playground

Everyone (who reads the comic) remembers that there's a Forget spell over the Oracle's valley.

I forgot he actually warns everyone about it (Panel 7).
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2021-04-29 at 11:09 AM. Reason: Fixed link to Panel 7
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

25. - Top - End - #475
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Everyone (who reads the comic) remembers that there's a Forget spell over the Oracle's valley.

I forgot he actually warns everyone about it (Panel 7).
    ...Uh, that link is borked.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

26. - Top - End - #476
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Whoops! Fixed.

Thanks for the heads-up!
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

27. - Top - End - #477
    Ogre in the Playground

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0611.html

Panel 4 appears to highlight some writing on the wall "alive, in danger with belkar"
    There's certainly an accurate description of the rogue in that panel.

28. - Top - End - #478
    Ogre in the Playground

It seems Rake Arms are a vital part of Oracle foresight!
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

29. - Top - End - #479
    Titan in the Playground

It seems Rake Arms are a vital part of Oracle foresight!
    ...Rake whats?

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #480
    Troll in the Playground

Lizardfolk

...Rake whats?
    The URL you originally quoted. It ends with "Rake Arm.pdf".

Which is an intriguing name, but I'm leery about clicking on random links, so your guess is as good as mine as to what they actually are.
    Spoiler: Quotes
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    Also, as a rule of thumb, if you find yourself defending your inalienable right to make someone else feel like garbage, you're on the wrong side of the argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by oppyu View Post
    There is nothing more emblematic of this forum than three or four pages of debate between people who, as it turns out, pretty much agree with each other.

Check this game out! Or at least give it a thumbs up.
    Why "because the plot said so" is not a good answer.