New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 22 of 35 FirstFirst ... 121314151617181920212223242526272829303132 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #631
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    You internet people and your feet pics....
    I mean, how else am I supposed to understand the anatomical specifics of animal appendages?

2. - Top - End - #632
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    I mean, how else am I supposed to understand the anatomical specifics of animal appendages?
    I thought planties were good at osmosis.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 1

3. - Top - End - #633

I thought planties were good at osmosis.
    Not that kind of osmosis, sadly. (And I'm NOT absorbing other people's feet, thank you very much.)

4. - Top - End - #634
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

So... I've never actually heard the complete Oh Danny Boy before. I've only heard a couple quick snippets referenced here and there in places like courage the cowardly dog.

So today I came across Elan's eulogy song for Roy again, and actually listened to the song in full for the first time while reading the altered lyrics. And.... Holy crap, I can see why even Belkar was moved by the song - corny lyrics or not, that's absolutely beautiful. It's one of those things that make you realize: oh, yeah, Elan actually IS a powerful bard!
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

5. - Top - End - #635
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    So... I've never actually heard the complete Oh Danny Boy before. I've only heard a couple quick snippets referenced here and there in places like courage the cowardly dog.

So today I came across Elan's eulogy song for Roy again, and actually listened to the song in full for the first time while reading the altered lyrics. And.... Holy crap, I can see why even Belkar was moved by the song - corny lyrics or not, that's absolutely beautiful. It's one of those things that make you realize: oh, yeah, Elan actually IS a powerful bard!
    Someone actually sang Elan's version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCYLNj0KXcE&t=70s

Also, it's important to point out how incredibly high level the Order is. It's entirely possible that Elan is one of the highest level bards on the planet.

6. - Top - End - #636
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    Someone actually sang Elan's version

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCYLNj0KXcE&t=70s

Also, it's important to point out how incredibly high level the Order is. It's entirely possible that Elan is one of the highest level bards on the planet.
    Why, he's a certified bardic genius!

7. - Top - End - #637
    Titan in the Playground

There’s a very good chance Elan is the highest level bard on the planet actually!
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

8. - Top - End - #638
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    There’s a very good chance Elan is the highest level bard on the planet actually!
    ...and why not lowest level? I mean, is that not what the trope is all about?

9. - Top - End - #639
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by drDunkel View Post
    ...and why not lowest level? I mean, is that not what the trope is all about?
    ... What? No, the trope is that protagonists start as the weakest in their respective fields, but eventually rise to the top, and Elan definitely did that already.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

10. - Top - End - #640
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    LOL that's the comic that made me realize it actually. Since the Order is usually fighting people at or above their level, I think it can easily be forgotten that the people they are fighting are some of the ONLY people at or above their level. Most adventurers in the world aren't going to survive to make it to level 16. So when a "normal" person like Thirden meets them, it's like meeting a superhero. Sure, there may be another group of near-epic adventurers who decided to retire like the Vector Legion did, there aren't going to be that many. If there are any bards that are more of a "bardic genius" than Elan, they are few and far between and staying out of the limelight.

11. - Top - End - #641

LOL that's the comic that made me realize it actually. Since the Order is usually fighting people at or above their level, I think it can easily be forgotten that the people they are fighting are some of the ONLY people at or above their level. Most adventurers in the world aren't going to survive to make it to level 16. So when a "normal" person like Thirden meets them, it's like meeting a superhero.
    Both of those bards are at least 12th level.

12. - Top - End - #642

ClericGuy

If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

13. - Top - End - #643
    Titan in the Playground

Yeah, but Thirden is at least middle-aged for a dwarf by now and Elan has at least a few levels on him.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

14. - Top - End - #644

Yeah, but Thirden is at least middle-aged for a dwarf by now and Elan has at least a few levels on him.
    And Thirden dropped out of bars college and went into mining for a while instead while Elan picked it up as soon as he was able.

15. - Top - End - #645
    Titan in the Playground

And Thirden dropped out of bars college and went into mining for a while instead while Elan picked it up as soon as he was able.
    You say that like dropping bars isn't something bards do.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

16. - Top - End - #646
    Titan in the Playground

Well they probably go to bars a lot.

Oh wait they're called taverns in fantasy settings, my bad.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #647
    Ettin in the Playground

Yeah but in this setting there seems to be a pretty big gulf between 12th Level and 16th Level. We have seen very few characters with levels that high, and all the ones that do are pretty darn powerful (Vector Legion, Order of the Scribble, and everyone's Personal Rivals). Elan was 12th level before the Battle for Azure City even took place. The amount of fighting he has been in between then and now is impressively high, and I would bet that few adventurers survive all of that.

18. - Top - End - #648

Yeah but in this setting there seems to be a pretty big gulf between 12th Level and 16th Level. We have seen very few characters with levels that high, and all the ones that do are pretty darn powerful (Vector Legion, Order of the Scribble, and everyone's Personal Rivals). Elan was 12th level before the Battle for Azure City even took place. The amount of fighting he has been in between then and now is impressively high, and I would bet that few adventurers survive all of that.
    I'm not saying that he's the equivalent of a 16th level character, I'm just pointing out that he's far from low-level himself. Keep in mind that Azure City's military, the people whose job was to fight, had a severe lack of people above level 3. Sure, not many peopld get to 16th, but 12th isn't exactly common either.

Saying Thirden is a "normal" person in awe at meeting Elan is like saying he's a "normal" person meeting a billionaire and being in awe of his money. Sure, the billionaire is significantly more wealthy, but Thirden in this analogy has a hundred million dollars and is being compared to the average working Joe.

ETA: And lest we forget, we don't actually know his level. 12 is the floor.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-11-17 at 03:02 PM.

19. - Top - End - #649

ClericGuy

I feel like this should be a separate thread at this point, I was not expecting to unleash such a storm with my never-noticed lol.
    ~Robin McKinley

20. - Top - End - #650

Well they probably go to bars a lot.
    …but only before they Cross the Bar.

21. - Top - End - #651
    Ettin in the Playground

I'm not saying that he's the equivalent of a 16th level character, I'm just pointing out that he's far from low-level himself. Keep in mind that Azure City's military, the people whose job was to fight, had a severe lack of people above level 3. Sure, not many peopld get to 16th, but 12th isn't exactly common either.

Saying Thirden is a "normal" person in awe at meeting Elan is like saying he's a "normal" person meeting a billionaire and being in awe of his money. Sure, the billionaire is significantly more wealthy, but Thirden in this analogy has a hundred million dollars and is being compared to the average working Joe.

ETA: And lest we forget, we don't actually know his level. 12 is the floor.
    Oh OK I gotcha. Yeah, he's not a "normal" bard, he's a very powerful bard but he's meeting one of the greatest bards in the world. It's more like being the fastest 100m dash runner in your country and meeting Usain Bolt.
    Last edited by littlebum2002; 2022-11-18 at 11:27 AM.

22. - Top - End - #652

Oh OK I gotcha. Yeah, he's not a "normal" bard, he's a very powerful bard but he's meeting one of the greatest bards in the world. It's more like being the fastest 100m dash runner in your country and meeting Usain Bolt.
    Now we can get into the "one of the fastest bards in the world" bit. There may be epic level bards or 20th level bards already. Sure, not many, hardly any, but a dozen or so would be plenty to put Elan in the "not Usain Bolt" camp, and in an entire world, that is a frighteningly small number.

23. - Top - End - #653
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

Now we can get into the "one of the fastest bards in the world" bit. There may be epic level bards or 20th level bards already. Sure, not many, hardly any, but a dozen or so would be plenty to put Elan in the "not Usain Bolt" camp, and in an entire world, that is a frighteningly small number.
    In the interests of accurately splitting the hair, perhaps Elan is the Trayvon Bromwell of his world.

Edit - Just to clarify, Bromwell is arguably the fastest of kind of the next generation of great sprinters. He's starting to show up on the lower part of the league table of all-time greats, but he hasn't been around long enough to really prove himself yet and has been a little inconsistent. He's got the 6th fastest 100M of all time, yet failed to make the Olympic finals because he botched his semi-final heat. If you follow track and field closely, you'd know who he is, but he isn't famous enough to have any awareness among the general public yet.
    Last edited by Crusher; 2022-11-18 at 02:24 PM.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

24. - Top - End - #654

Now we can get into the "one of the fastest bards in the world" bit.
    He has a 30' per round movement rate (that's a 15' base land speed!). That can't be him!

Quote Originally Posted by Crusher View Post
    In the interests of accurately splitting the hair, perhaps Elan is the Trayvon Bromwell of his world.

Edit - Just to clarify, Bromwell is arguably the fastest of kind of the next generation of great sprinters. He's starting to show up on the lower part of the league table of all-time greats, but he hasn't been around long enough to really prove himself yet and has been a little inconsistent. He's got the 6th fastest 100M of all time, yet failed to make the Olympic finals because he botched his semi-final heat. If you follow track and field closely, you'd know who he is, but he isn't famous enough to have any awareness among the general public yet.
    Hey, that's a pretty neat analogy there.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-11-18 at 02:30 PM.

25. - Top - End - #655
    Ettin in the Playground

I believe that Elan is the most powerful (active) bard in the world and nothing will change my mind about that

26. - Top - End - #656
    Bugbear in the Playground

ElfWarriorGuy

I believe that Elan is the most powerful (active) bard in the world and nothing will change my mind about that
    What if someone gives you a cookie? Like, a really good one.
    "You are what you do. Choose again and change." - Miles Vorkosigan

27. - Top - End - #657

ClericGuy

You know... It didn't really sink in before about Eugene being the last oath spirit left. What would happen to him if xykon doesn't get destroyed? Say, he bails out like Hilgya is planning to, heads to his astral fortress and survives the end of the world? What'll happen to Eugene then? Will he be stuck waiting for an eon until the next creation then pester someone there to go after a resurging xykon? Will he be stuck in limbo forever because xykon will be too powerful for anyone in the new world to stop him? Or do the gods have contingencies for cases like his in the event of a snarl reset? Eugene's future is extremely shaky right now.

(And yes, I'm aware this is a moot point if xykon leaves without his phylactery thanks to Redcloak pulling a switcheroo)
    ~Robin McKinley

28. - Top - End - #658

You know... It didn't really sink in before about Eugene being the last oath spirit left. What would happen to him if xykon doesn't get destroyed? Say, he bails out like Hilgya is planning to, heads to his astral fortress and survives the end of the world? What'll happen to Eugene then? Will he be stuck waiting for an eon until the next creation then pester someone there to go after a resurging xykon? Will he be stuck in limbo forever because xykon will be too powerful for anyone in the new world to stop him? Or do the gods have contingencies for cases like his in the event of a snarl reset? Eugene's future is extremely shaky right now.
    Well, with all the mindwiping that comes with rebooting worlds, I'm not sure he would know who he is or why he's even there afterwards and the gods would likely sweep him under some kind of rug to keep him out of sight.

29. - Top - End - #659
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

(And yes, I'm aware this is a moot point if xykon leaves without his phylactery thanks to Redcloak pulling a switcheroo)
    Seems like a good Patreon question. I think that if Eugene gets mind-wiped (which he might not, since he's technically not an Outsider), the entire Blood Oath becomes pointless and he might as well proceed into the afterlife.
    There must be some sense of order - personal, political or dramatic - and if no one else is going to bring it to this world, I will.

Silent member of Zz'dtri's #698 Scrying Sensor Explanation Club.

30. - Top - End - #660
    Orc in the Playground

I don't think Hilgya's plan can work at all. If it could, there would be other high-level characters from previous worlds (or their descendants) hanging around in the outer planes or even planeshifting back to Stick world. Come to think of it, that could explain how Fruit Pie the sorcerer ended up in Dorukan's fortress, but it raises way more questions that it answers. It seems safer to assume the gods have some sort of contingency measure in place.

On a more general level, my personal take about leftover oathspirits is that blood oaths or similar rituals are about killing a foe (or destroying them, for pedantic wizards). At least, that's what the standard tattoo procedure shown in Start of Darkness seems to suggest. The only other example that we have is Violet, whose descendant had to sunder a cursed sword.

As Roy points out, if the world ends in a way or another, all blood oaths are technically fulfilled. Therefore, any remaining oathspirits would be allowed into the afterlife. Probably Mechanus for Eugene, as he doesn't strike me as "good", plus I think filling paperwork until he's bored out of his immortal mind would be pretty fitting.

I do wonder whether he really is the last oathspirit or not. Maybe the devas were so pissed at Eugene that they separated him from the others without telling him (it's not like there are any landmarks to help him find his bearings in this demiplane). He did bind and gag Tony, after all.

On a semi-related note, I never noticed Roy's plan with his archon was still pending.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.