New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 23 of 35 FirstFirst ... 131415161718192021222324252627282930313233 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #661
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Coppercloud View Post
    As Roy points out, if the world ends in a way or another, all blood oaths are technically fulfilled. Therefore, any remaining oathspirits would be allowed into the afterlife. Probably Mechanus for Eugene, as he doesn't strike me as "good", plus I think filling paperwork until he's bored out of his immortal mind would be pretty fitting.
    Frankly, he never struck me as any more Lawful than he is Good. Neglecting his various duties once he gets disinterested in them is half his deal.

2. - Top - End - #662
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I don't think Hilgya's plan can work at all. If it could, there would be other high-level characters from previous worlds (or their descendants) hanging around in the outer planes or even planeshifting back to Stick world.
    Why? That presumes they would have known about it to start with. And would have somehow survived the large amount of time between worlds.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #663
    Titan in the Playground

"Survivors from the previous world" seems like a flawless explanation for Fruit Pie and mocha latté to me.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #664

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    "Survivors from the previous world" seems like a flawless explanation for Fruit Pie and mocha latté to me.
    Neither of which are movie theater snacks.

5. - Top - End - #665
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Aye, and Durkon isn't human.
    Forum Wisdom

6. - Top - End - #666
    Ettin in the Playground

Well, soy latté was trying to be.

That raises a question: Was the intermission in #301 a flashback to the sentient movie-theater snacks world? I think #1140 implies it was, since the context of #1140 #1140 implies it's a flashback to that world, and in that strip Soda is getting revenge on Pizza for killing Milk Dudes in #301.
    Last edited by Ruck; 2022-12-04 at 03:58 AM.

7. - Top - End - #667
    Orc in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Frankly, he never struck me as any more Lawful than he is Good. Neglecting his various duties once he gets disinterested in them is half his deal.
    Very true, but SoD reveals that he actually cared enough about his family to refuse to leave them to fulfill his vengeance when given the opportunity. But maybe that was him justifying his aloofness. In any case, I think you're right and he's most likely closer to True neutral.

Why? That presumes they would have known about it to start with. And would have somehow survived the large amount of time between worlds.
    You don't need to know about the details to planeshift "if'n it all starts shakin'" if you have the spell prepared or you could be traveling there for other reasons. Also see "descendants" and "immortal beings such an lichs".
    In billions of worlds, it would seem likely such conditions were already met several times. If not, then the gods would have to make a decision this time, but I really don't think they would let people hang out in the outer planes when they remake the world. Not if those people or their great-geat-grandchildren might be still alive (or still undead) when it's finished.
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

8. - Top - End - #668
    Ettin in the Playground

Very true, but SoD reveals that he actually cared enough about his family to refuse to leave them to fulfill his vengeance when given the opportunity. But maybe that was him justifying his aloofness.
    Considering at the time he made that statement he was drinking at a bar to purposely miss his son's soccer game, I think it's more the latter. (Although I wouldn't phrase what he's justifying as his aloofness; maybe his cowardice, or his probably-accurate assessment that he would not be able to defeat Xykon, or whatever other reason he has for refusing the call.)

9. - Top - End - #669
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    Well, soy latté was trying to be.
    Seriously, who eats pizza at a movie theater?

That raises a question: Was the intermission in #301 a flashback to the sentient movie-theater snacks world? I think #1140 implies it was, since the context of #1140 #1140 implies it's a flashback to that world, and in that strip Soda is getting revenge on Pizza for killing Milk Dudes in #301.
    I think so, yeah.

Considering at the time he made that statement he was drinking at a bar to purposely miss his son's soccer game, I think it's more the latter. (Although I wouldn't phrase what he's justifying as his aloofness; maybe his cowardice, or his probably-accurate assessment that he would not be able to defeat Xykon, or whatever other reason he has for refusing the call.)
    People can and often do have multiple layers of motivation, yes. Redcloak might prioritize one house if pushed, but if not pushed he does live in both, for example.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

10. - Top - End - #670
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    People can and often do have multiple layers of motivation, yes. Redcloak might prioritize one house if pushed, but if not pushed he does live in both, for example.
    I'm not sure what in my post this is addressing. I think Eugene's primary motivations while alive were being left alone to do wizard stuff, being praised for doing wizard stuff, and staying alive to do wizard stuff. All of which tracks with blowing off the chance to hunt Xykon again while also blowing off Roy's soccer game. (And carrying around copies of wizard magazines with him on the cover while he's doing it.)

I could be charitable enough to buy that he'd simply put Xykon behind him and didn't think it was worth the risk to himself, but his investment in his family being the reason is belied by how often he neglected them to do wizard stuff.

Spoiler: Start of Darkness
    Show
    Or worse than "neglected." If I have the timeline right, at the end of that scene Sara hints she's pregnant with Eric, and Eugene's experiment kills him when he's two years old. So how much of a priority could protecting his family really have been, if he's neglectful enough to get his own toddler killed just two years later?

11. - Top - End - #671

Aye, and Durkon isn't human.
    Since Thor has said they Madre a movie theater snack world, and has not said that this world is a human world, I'm sure there's a point you're trying to make but I haven't the foggiest idea what it is.

12. - Top - End - #672
    Titan in the Playground

Since Thor has said they Madre a movie theater snack world, and has not said that this world is a human world, I'm sure there's a point you're trying to make but I haven't the foggiest idea what it is.
    I forgot that Thor specified "movie theater snacks" and not "sentient food items" (in my defense, it was long past any reasonable bed time).

HOWEVER, Ruck kindly showed that Soy Latté was alive(?) in this world, therefore it seems likely that so was Mocha.

Edit:
    Don't ask me, I still don't understand people eating any kind of food at all in cinema.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2022-12-04 at 08:21 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

13. - Top - End - #673

I'm not sure what in my post this is addressing. I think Eugene's primary motivations while alive were being left alone to do wizard stuff, being praised for doing wizard stuff, and staying alive to do wizard stuff. All of which tracks with blowing off the chance to hunt Xykon again while also blowing off Roy's soccer game. (And carrying around copies of wizard magazines with him on the cover while he's doing it.)
    Yep. That sums up Eugene pretty well.

I could be charitable enough to buy that he'd simply put Xykon behind him and didn't think it was worth the risk to himself, but his investment in his family being the reason is belied by how often he neglected them to do wizard stuff.

Show
    Or worse than "neglected." If I have the timeline right, at the end of that scene Sara hints she's pregnant with Eric, and Eugene's experiment kills him when he's two years old. So how much of a priority could protecting his family really have been, if he's neglectful enough to get his own toddler killed just two years later?
    Anyhow, I think what's meant is simply "he might have had multiple motivations", including "like I care" and "I'm too important to just die going after that dude, just look at this magazine with me on the cover", i.e. getting didinterested in revenge (just as he got disinterested in being a husband) and fearing for his own (oh-so-important) life.

Don't ask me, I still don't understand people eating any kind of food at all in cinema.
    Right? Right??

14. - Top - End - #674
    Titan in the Playground

Show
    I mean...

Anyhow, I think what's meant is simply "he might have had multiple motivations", including "like I care" and "I'm too important to just die going after that dude, just look at this magazine with me on the cover", i.e. getting disinterested in revenge (just as he got disinterested in being a husband) and fearing for his own (oh-so-important) life.
    Okay I'm just going to substitute an actual explanation with this.

I forgot that Thor specified "movie theater snacks" and not "sentient food items" (in my defense, it was long past any reasonable bed time).

HOWEVER, Ruck kindly showed that Soy Latté was alive(?) in this world, therefore it seems likely that so was Mocha.

Edit:

Right? Right??
    Popcorn and soda, I get that, though to be frank me eating popcorn in movies(when the family even wants to) is at least partly an excuse to actually eat movie popcorn. Not like that's super common outside theaters.

But yeah, basically everything else was "eh?" I mean, why pizza? Maybe if you're watching DVDs or Netflix at home, sure, but in a theater???

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

15. - Top - End - #675
    Ettin in the Playground

Anyhow, I think what's meant is simply "he might have had multiple motivations", including "like I care" and "I'm too important to just die going after that dude, just look at this magazine with me on the cover", i.e. getting didinterested in revenge (just as he got disinterested in being a husband) and fearing for his own (oh-so-important) life.
    Okay I'm just going to substitute an actual explanation with this.
    Right, I don't doubt he has multiple motivations (as most people do). I doubt that his stated concern for his family was one of those motivations, based on how he treated them the rest of the time.

16. - Top - End - #676
    Titan in the Playground

I was mostly saying that it probably isn’t just one of the things you ascribed to him. Though even his apathy has limits; he’s at least aware just how messed up the Bet is from a mortal perspective.

Extended sig here.

17. - Top - End - #677

Right, I don't doubt he has multiple motivations (as most people do). I doubt that his stated concern for his family was one of those motivations, based on how he treated them the rest of the time.
    Oh, that I wholeheartedly agree with. I'm pretty sure the next scene with Roy is there to drive that very point home.

I was mostly saying that it probably isn’t just one of the things you ascribed to him. Though even his apathy has limits; he’s at least aware just how messed up the Bet is from a mortal perspective.
    True. He's painfully quick to demonstrate just how much he truly cares about the dwarven souls, however.
    Last edited by Metastachydium; 2022-12-05 at 08:14 AM.

18. - Top - End - #678
    Ettin in the Playground

I was in my seat before a movie one time and a woman walked up with a floor length dress and before sitting down she hiked it up and slid an entire pizza out from under it. Sure, it was a little messed up due to being held vertically, but that's a pretty darn good movie snack if you can pull it off.

19. - Top - End - #679

Popcorn and soda, I get that, though to be frank me eating popcorn in movies(when the family even wants to) is at least partly an excuse to actually eat movie popcorn. Not like that's super common outside theaters.
    It actually can be - movie theater popcorn is just popcorn, oil, and seasoned salt. Flavacol is incredibly common for this. Even if you don't want to use your own popper and just have microwave popcorn, a light dusting of flavacol will give you that movie theater popcorn taste at a fraction of the cost. And when I say a fraction, I mean I bought a 2-pack of 1-qt containers for like 15 bucks off amazon seven years ago and am only now to about 20% remaining of the first one. The second one I gave away as a gift years ago to my bestie. Now, granted, I'm not exactly eating popcorn every day, but that's still a hell of a long-lasting product. You don't rally need much each time.

ETA: Currently 14 bucks.
    But yeah, basically everything else was "eh?" I mean, why pizza? Maybe if you're watching DVDs or Netflix at home, sure, but in a theater???
    Most theaters here have hot dogs and nachos as standard concession foods, and luxury theaters tend to have much more (eg wings, pizza, burgers, Buffalo chicken, etc) that they bring to your seat. It's actually pretty nice and I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by littlebum2002 View Post
    I was in my seat before a movie one time and a woman walked up with a floor length dress and before sitting down she hiked it up and slid an entire pizza out from under it. Sure, it was a little messed up due to being held vertically, but that's a pretty darn good movie snack if you can pull it off.
    The most impressive I ever saw was two old ladies who snuck in a full takeaway meal. Full size styrofoam clamshell containers. They even brought in an entire, brand new bottle of ketchup. Left it all in their seats instead of throwing away the trash and taking the ketchup.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2022-12-05 at 11:57 AM.

20. - Top - End - #680
    Titan in the Playground

True. He's painfully quick to demonstrate just how much he truly cares about the dwarven souls, however.
    I mean he's not the kind of omnicidal nihilist Pathfinder daemons are. Demons and devils have worked together and with angels to stop daemons plots in the past. Charon, one of the greatest daemons, made a machine so efficient at snuffing out life it horrified Asmodeus.

Extended sig here.

21. - Top - End - #681
    Titan in the Playground

I mean he's not the kind of omnicidal nihilist Pathfinder daemons are. Demons and devils have worked together and with angels to stop daemons plots in the past. Charon, one of the greatest daemons, made a machine so efficient at snuffing out life it horrified Asmodeus.
    If the best thing you can say about a character is that he's not as bad as the literal epitome of all evil, maybe you shouldn't bother trying to say nice things about him.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #682
    Ettin in the Playground

Many of the movie theaters in my area sell all sorts of foods you can take into the movies, including pizza, pretzels, ice cream, and hot dogs, in addition to the more traditional pop-corn and sodas. There was even an attached Mexican Food restaurant you could get take-out from to take into a movie. I'm not certain they still have the "No Outside Food" rule in those locations anymore.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2022-12-05 at 03:50 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

23. - Top - End - #683

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    Many of the movie theaters in my area sell all sorts of foods you can take into the movies, including pizza, pretzels, ice cream, and hot dogs, in addition to the more traditional pop-corn and sodas. There was even an attached Mexican Food restaurant you could get take-out from to take into a movie. I'm not certain they still have the "No Outside Food" rule in those locations anymore.
    They almost certainly still do, since the business model is still built on the concession stand instead of ticket sales (and have to rent the movies they show, at exorbitant prices).

Theaters with alcohol would be making bank, though.

24. - Top - End - #684
    Titan in the Playground

They almost certainly still do, since the business model is still built on the concession stand instead of ticket sales (and have to rent the movies they show, at exorbitant prices).

I'm told theaters sell beer in Germany. OF course, being Germany and all, that may not be considered alcohol.
    Forum Wisdom

25. - Top - End - #685

I'm told theaters sell beer in Germany. OF course, being Germany and all, that may not be considered alcohol.
    It's not the chemical, it's the markup.

That being said, I remember being amused in my very early teens at McDonald's selling McBeer in Austria.

26. - Top - End - #686
    Ettin in the Playground

There are definitely theaters that sell alcohol. Generally the same ones that actually sell food that could pass for a meal.

I'm all for sneaking stuff into the other kind of theater, though. Never tried it with a pizza, but the first time my now-wife and I went on a movie date night we got Jimmy John's and hid it in her purse. One of my favorite moviegoing experiences was with a friend in 2004: We smoked out first, snuck a plastic fifth of Seagram's into the theater, got a giant Coke and spiked it and split it, got tickets to and saw Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, then walked over and also saw Kill Bill Vol. 2.

27. - Top - End - #687

There are definitely theaters that sell alcohol. Generally the same ones that actually sell food that could pass for a meal.
    Yep. The theater I used to work at way back when is now a luxury theater with the heated recliners and walls between rows and has the full service and alcohol. Back when I worked at McWane Science Center, I learned they are fastidious about keeping their liquor license despite that they are a children's science museum and don't normally sell booze. They keep it on hand so that they can use it during after-hours events, like fundraisers, shareholders events, special adult-only movies on the IMAX dome screen, and occasional special events - for instance, I once got paid to sit in on a talk given by E. O. Wilson, considered the father of modern entomology and one of, if not the, biggest names in his field. Tickets sold out in less than a day. I wasn't on the business side but I heard they went for three figures. This was a very sought-after event in the subspecialist-biologists-of-academia community. And of the three of us in the department, I volunteered to man the theater for it (they held all events like that in the dome - most seating available and also enormo screen and sound system if they wanted any sort of visual presentation) and racked up overtime while listening just this really cool guy talk about what he loved. Loved that place. The pay stunk but they did a lot to make it a quality experience whether you were a two year old having fun or a member of the board needing to go over the financials. The didn't skimp on the experience.

28. - Top - End - #688
    Orc in the Playground

biggrin Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

Mom, I derailed a thread, I'm finally a true member of the forum!
    On a fateful evening, I foolishly sworn myself to follow Xykon's updated speech rule ...thing. The twelve gods know that I regretted my decision ...since then ...multiple times.

29. - Top - End - #689
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

It's not the chemical, it's the markup.

That being said, I remember being amused in my very early teens at McDonald's selling McBeer in Austria.
    Don't know about Austria but they stopped selling beer in Germany about 20 years ago.

30. - Top - End - #690

Quote Originally Posted by Crimsonmantle View Post
    Don't know about Austria but they stopped selling beer in Germany about 20 years ago.
    Your meaning is clear, but I'm amused that the wording implies the entire nation of Germany stopped selling beer entirely.