New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 25 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1516171819202122232425262728293031323334 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #721
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

He could have taken it out, put it on a finger, then jumped.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

2. - Top - End - #722
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    He could have taken it out, put it on a finger, then jumped.
    Yep. That's the most reasonable interpretation, IMO.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

3. - Top - End - #723
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by ZhonLord View Post
    It has to be worn to use its magic. Pretty sure a "prison wallet", as Deadpool calls it, wouldn't qualify as wearing. So he wouldn't be able to jump without first re-equipping it, whereas if he wore it where I think he wore it he could use its enchantment without delay.
    You thinking that putting something on one's penis qualifies more as wearing than keeping it inside one's rectum?
    Edit: More to the point, Belkar taking it out of his rectum, putting it on his finger and waiting for the guard to open the trapdoor to bring him food seem like the more logical course of action.

Edit2: I also fail to see how, in the hypothetical that it was worn on his penis, handing it to Roy would qualify as following through on the catcalls.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2023-01-12 at 12:28 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

4. - Top - End - #724
    Ogre in the Playground

Realization: Durkon* using a defenseless baby as a human shield in addition to the obvious use, is also probably another little way to **** with Roy. I wonder if he's recalling his younger brother...

Also, I heard a lot of people wondering why Davlin would be stupid enough to respect the outcome of the Dwarven Council vote in spite of blatant vote-rigging, but, given that we later find out the Gods can he influenced by mortal beliefs, often quite heavily (Odin being crazy because the previous world's Northerners believed magic was for simpletons, with Odin being the northern god of magic, Thor being blond, ETC), maybe that's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When he was a mortal, there might have been a provision for that, but, if most people don't know, then, as far as they're concerned, he'll go with whatever the Council voted for, no matter how blatant the vote-rigging...Which, by the nature of being a God, means that he HAS to accept a tainted vote.

5. - Top - End - #725

Quote Originally Posted by woweedd View Post
    Realization: Durkon* using a defenseless baby as a human shield in addition to the obvious use, is also probably another little way to **** with Roy. I wonder if he's recalling his younger brother...

Also, I heard a lot of people wondering why Davlin would be stupid enough to respect the outcome of the Dwarven Council vote in spite of blatant vote-rigging, but, given that we later find out the Gods can he influenced by mortal beliefs, often quite heavily (Odin being crazy because the previous world's Northerners believed magic was for simpletons, with Odin being the northern god of magic, Thor being blond, ETC), maybe that's a self-fulfilling prophecy. When he was a mortal, there might have been a provision for that, but, if most people don't know, then, as far as they're concerned, he'll go with whatever the Council voted for, no matter how blatant the vote-rigging...Which, by the nature of being a God, means that he HAS to accept a tainted vote.
    Belief influencing change is presumed to take a long time. Thor, for example, doesn't hate trees despite all dwarves ardently believing he does in this world.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2023-01-12 at 01:28 PM.

6. - Top - End - #726
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

It's probably more that his ascension to being a demigod was partially tied to that oath, so he came into being with it binding his demideific actions.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

7. - Top - End - #727
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Belief influencing change is presumed to take a long time. Thor, for example, doesn't hate trees despite all dwarves ardently believing he does in this world.
    Thor is likely still influenced by the previous world like his father did, while Dvalin is from this world.

Also Thor is a major god of the Northern Pantheon and we don't know which percentage of Northerners are dwarves. Meanwhile Dvalin's divine title is "First King of the dwarves", I think it's safe to say that at least 90% of his followers are dwarves.
    Forum Wisdom

8. - Top - End - #728

It's probably more that his ascension to being a demigod was partially tied to that oath, so he came into being with it binding his demideific actions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    Thor is likely still influenced by the previous world like his father did, while Dvalin is from this world.

Also Thor is a major god of the Northern Pantheon and we don't know which percentage of Northerners are dwarves. Meanwhile Dvalin's divine title is "First King of the dwarves", I think it's safe to say that at least 90% of his followers are dwarves.
    Those are both fair.

9. - Top - End - #729
    Ettin in the Playground

It has to be worn to use its magic.
    More specifically, it has to be worn correctly (at least in previous editions, not certain about 3.X) which means on a finger. Wearing it on your toe doesn't count. Neither does wearing it on any other appendages.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

10. - Top - End - #730
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    More specifically, it has to be worn correctly (at least in previous editions, not certain about 3.X) which means on a finger. Wearing it on your toe doesn't count. Neither does wearing it on any other appendages.
    And, as we all know, Rich has never once bent inconsequential rule details for the sake of comedy/plot.

11. - Top - End - #731
    Firbolg in the Playground

And, as we all know, Rich has never once bent inconsequential rule details for the sake of comedy/plot.
    I'd say that's beside the point. The Giant didn't have to break a single rule for the scene to work. (Mind you: that we do not see the ring on Belkar's fingers when he emerges from the pit means nothing; V, Lien, Tsukiko and Tarquin all have rings that they wear pretty much constantly and they are hardly ever shown unless removed.)

12. - Top - End - #732
    Ettin in the Playground

But in this case, we're supposed to believe he bent a rule based on an assumption of what's happening in the scene that isn't supported by the text.

13. - Top - End - #733
    Ogre in the Playground

It somehow took until now to realize: When we first learn Elan and Nale's backstory, Elan theroizes, based on his bardic knowledge of tropes, that they never learned about each other in order to increase the dramatic tension should they encounter each other as adults. And, as we later learn, at least in Tarquin's case, that was, in fact, the exact reason. There is nothing funnier then when Elan is RIGHT about something.

Also, sidebar: In #50, we see in flashback that one of the causes of Elan's stupidity was Nale slapping him as a baby, and then, when Nale slaps Elan as an adult in the present, it does the opposite and actually makes him smarter, albeit briefly.

Also, less something I "noticed" and more I was just thinking about: Minrah has a little speech to Belkar about how, "when you change, everyone who knows you only knows the current you". And, like, clearly, that's meant to refer to Belkar's slow and winding road to redemption that he's been walking since Shojo kicked his sociopathy into the high-functioning category, but...It took me a second to realize it also applies to Minrah's friendship with him. Like, think about it, Belkar's changed a lot recently, to the point where I would actually argue he hasn't done anything truly Evil since, like, the end of BRITF...But Minrah only met him, like, a week ago. Does she even know that he's Chaotic Evil to begin with? Because, like, even as someone who does know Belkar, i'm fairly sure that, if all I knew of him was the stuff he's done post-BRITF, I wouldn't guess he was anything other then CN. Belkar's been redeeming, but Minrah might not even be really aware there's anything to redeem. Once you change, everyone who meets you from then on...Only knows the new you.
    Last edited by woweedd; 2023-01-14 at 05:25 PM.

14. - Top - End - #734
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

When the IFCC presents the Soul Splice to Vaarsuvius, it's Lee (the LE yellow one) who summons Jephton the Unholy (who is the CE soul), and Cedrik (the CE orange one) who summons Ganonron (the LE soul). Maybe it's just that the IFCC wasn't well-defined at the time, or maybe these ultra-powerful souls were initially gifts of peace from Lee to Cedrik and Cedrik to Lee, which would explain how they could meet in the first place.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

15. - Top - End - #735
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    When the IFCC presents the Soul Splice to Vaarsuvius, it's Lee (the LE yellow one) who summons Jephton the Unholy (who is the CE soul), and Cedrik (the CE orange one) who summons Ganonron (the LE soul). Maybe it's just that the IFCC wasn't well-defined at the time, or maybe these ultra-powerful souls were initially gifts of peace from Lee to Cedrik and Cedrik to Lee, which would explain how they could meet in the first place.
    Excuse me but how exactly do we know which appearance corresponds to which name in the IFCC? #632 is when we first learn their names, but it doesn't seem clear to me. Sabine seems to know them individually in #903 6th, but her statement doesn't identify the appearances either.

16. - Top - End - #736
    Titan in the Playground

6th panel here identifies Yellow-eyes as Lee.
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #737
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    Excuse me but how exactly do we know which appearance corresponds to which name in the IFCC? #632 is when we first learn their names, but it doesn't seem clear to me. Sabine seems to know them individually in #903 6th, but her statement doesn't identify the appearances either.
    The fact that Orange is the one to say "Now." identifies him as being Cedrik according to Sabine's comment ("Cedrik springs them when his guts tell him the time is right"). Also, according to the wiki, "Word of God in Don't Split The Party (next to page 642a) informs the reader who is who.".
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

18. - Top - End - #738

The fact that Orange is the one to say "Now." identifies him as being Cedrik according to Sabine's comment ("Cedrik springs them when his guts tell him the time is right"). Also, according to the wiki, "Word of God in Don't Split The Party (next to page 642a) informs the reader who is who.".
    Yup. My only contention is that Cedrik saying "[n]ow" has more to do with the fact that they were using his 20 minute window; the Giant is on the record stating that their personalities are kind of written to be interchangeable in practice.

19. - Top - End - #739
    Ogre in the Playground

Thank you. The former doesn't seem too convincing either, but the latter explains how we know the identification. I didn't know about that until today.

20. - Top - End - #740
    Titan in the Playground

After defenestrating Sabine, Roy is kind enough to give her her scrunchie back rather than leave it however-many floor up they were.
    Forum Wisdom

21. - Top - End - #741

After defenestrating Sabine, Roy is kind enough to give her her scrunchie back rather than leave it however-many floor up they were.
    Surely, his most Lawful Good act so far!

22. - Top - End - #742
    Ogre in the Playground

ElfPirate

When I first read it I thought he was throwing back the piercings he mentions.
    Last edited by snowblizz; 2023-01-27 at 08:29 AM.

23. - Top - End - #743
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

They are roughly 16 percent of northerners.

24. - Top - End - #744
    Colossus in the Playground

Dodgy math.

25. - Top - End - #745
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    Dodgy math.
    It makes sense for three pantheons to have equal followers to balance each other.

26. - Top - End - #746
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    It makes sense for three pantheons to have equal followers to balance each other.
    But we don't know how many people there are in total.
    Forum Wisdom

27. - Top - End - #747
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

But we don't know how many people there are in total.
    percentages are cool like that

28. - Top - End - #748
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Dasick View Post
    percentages are cool like that
    You can't calculate a percentage if you don't have both figures. We know there are more than 10, 000, 000 dwarves, but we don't know how many people there are in total, so we don't know what percentage of the population is made of dwarves
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #749
    Titan in the Playground

And that may have been true at world creation & when the seed populations were created, but that doesn't mean it is still true now, especially given how different the reproduction rates are between races. Also possible, maybe the gods created populations roughly equivalent in power, such that one dragon counted for 1000 humans. Or maybe they based it on how much their respective lands could carry, knowing full well after bajillions of worlds that the first thing that would happen would be a few quick early wars and any attempts at equilibrium would be going out the window. Or anything else, really. The assumption that after 20k years or however long this world has lasted they'd have equal pops is hardly conclusive.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2023-02-03 at 07:06 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

30. - Top - End - #750
    Colossus in the Playground

There is a massive gap you do not seem to recognize between "this makes sense to me" and "this is a fact."