New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 26 of 35 FirstFirst ... 1617181920212223242526272829303132333435 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #751
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

I noticed that Thor and The Dark One have ended their discussion with their followers the exact same way.

TDO: "Don't screw this up. No pressure, though."
    Thor: "No pressure, we're all counting on you."

I don't know, it's almost like the universe is trying to deliberately point towards some form of arbitrary equality between those of us who have green/orange skin, mate quicker and are Usually Neutral Evil and those who aren't.
    Resurrecting the Negative LA thread, comments and discussion are very welcome!

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Nice find! Have a cookie!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

Quote Originally Posted by H_H_F_F View Post
    3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

2. - Top - End - #752
    Bugbear in the Playground

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    But we don't know how many people there are in total.
    Half a million according to Loki.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1177.html

3. - Top - End - #753
    Colossus in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Precure View Post
    Half a million according to Loki.

https://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots1177.html
    No, no, and again: no.

He said "half a billion people down there believe I'm incapable of honesty."

Don't know if "million" is a typo or a misreading, but either way it gets No #1.
    Is Loki talking about all the people on the planet, not just the ones who worship the Gods of the North? Was it really ever on Malack's mind that Loki is incapable of honesty? No #2.
    Was that actually a census that should be quoted as an authoritative statement, or did Loki casually toss off a large number when yelling at Thor? The former seems insupportable to me: No #3. See also the case of Shojo, the 72-year-old octogenerian.

4. - Top - End - #754

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by Kish View Post
    No, no, and again: no.

He said "half a billion people down there believe I'm incapable of honesty."

Don't know if "million" is a typo or a misreading, but either way it gets No #1.
    Typo. It's supposed to be 500 million.

Is Loki talking about all the people on the planet, not just the ones who worship the Gods of the North? Was it really ever on Malack's mind that Loki is incapable of honesty? No #2.
    As we know that dwarven popuation is 10 million, it makes most sense to treat it total population rather than just northerners, because that makes dwarves 16 percent of the continental population.

Was that actually a census that should be quoted as an authoritative statement, or did Loki casually toss off a large number when yelling at Thor? The former seems insupportable to me:
    He's a god, and those people are basically his bread and butter, his livelihood.

No #3. See also the case of Shojo, the 72-year-old octogenerian.
    I mean, that was just Mr. Burlew messing up the chronology, no?

5. - Top - End - #755
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

There is a massive gap you do not seem to recognize between "this makes sense to me" and "this is a fact."
    It's heavily implied that there's some sort of an equilibrium between the gods, but as Grey Wolf points out, it doesn't have to be a 1:1 equilibrium

Was that actually a census that should be quoted as an authoritative statement, or did Loki casually toss off a large number when yelling at Thor? The former seems insupportable to me
    We see that at least between Thor and Hel, there's quite a strict census on dwarf souls. I imagine the devas or whatever passes as divine helpers for the various gods keep a tight ship on bureaucracy because the gods need a strict balance of the soul pyramid stuff and make sure they're not expending more energy granting divine spells than they rake in in soul power. I imagine Loki has to suffer through many a boring meeting talking about trends and statistics and ROI and whatever (we see devas bothering Thor all the time)
    Last edited by Dasick; 2023-02-08 at 07:20 PM.

6. - Top - End - #756
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

I mean, that was just Mr. Burlew messing up the chronology, no?
    If I show you a picture of an old guy, would you be able to tell me if he's in his 70s or 80s?

Roy said what he thought. That doesn't mean he's right.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #757

As we know that dwarven popuation is 10 million, it makes most sense to treat it total population rather than just northerners, because that makes dwarves 16 percent of the continental population.
    "We"? Kindly speak for yourself.

How many numbers are "ten million or more"? I really hope you're aware that the correct answer is not "one."

And even if Rich had said "there are exactly ten million dwarves," instead of Hel tossing off "ten million dwarves or more" followed by Rich saying that he doesn't consider that number at all important and instructing readers to just fill in whatever makes the storyline make sense to them...

...there is some truly amazing chutzpah in: It makes most sense to make this assumption, because it's the one that points to my already asserted conclusion.

8. - Top - End - #758

Flumph

Both 500 million and 10 million are numbers given to us in the story. Both Loki and Hel could be wrong about those numbers in a significant way, that's technically possible, but we can say that same thing for every other information we've got from this comic, and in view of occam's razor, it makes more sense that those numbers are roughly correct.

9. - Top - End - #759
    Dwarf in the Playground

Goblin

Half a billion people as an estimate for a global population is also in the same ballpark (if somewhat higher) as global population estimates during the medieval period so it's a very reasonable number for Loki to throw out for Stickworld IMO
    Quote Originally Posted by ActionReplay View Post
    Why does D&D have no Gollum? Why it does. You just can't see him. He is wearing his precious at the moment.
    There is a lot of very bizarre nonsense being talked on this forum. I shall now remain silent and logoff until my points are vindicated.

10. - Top - End - #760
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

...there is some truly amazing chutzpah in: It makes most sense to make this assumption, because it's the one that points to my already asserted conclusion.
    It's more like "it makes most sense to make this assumption because there's no other more probable assumption to make."

"10 million or more" may not be only exactly 10,000,000, but I wouldn't say 10 million if I thought I could get 100 million, especially if I wanted to brag to Daddy, uncle and all the other gods. It's at least improbable that Hel thinks she can get much more than 20 million dwarves out of that, or she would have said so. You don't give precisions like that for an extremely rough estimate. Same thing, if Loki says "half a billion", then it's most probably more than 100 millions and less than a billion, otherwise he would have rounded up to "a billion" or to "100 millions". Hel thinks she will get more souls than all other Northern Gods (maybe even Odin, or similar to him) by simply saying "I'll get 10^7 dwarven souls or more", which means that if we divide all the other souls believing in the Northern Pantheon by seventeen (giving the absolute least possible to each of them), it will be less (probably much less, but we have no way of knowing) than 10^7 (otherwise bragging like that would make no sense). Hence, the number of people believing in the Northern Pantheon is at most 170 millions (plus all the dwarven souls, so maybe 180 millions.) Let's say at most 200 millions, being very conservative.

And with that first figure, saying that the whole world has about 500 millions potential believers, spread across three pantheons, is absolutely not stupid. It would make the pantheons about balanced (not exactly, but enough that they choose to have one final vote per pantheon in the Godsmoot), and would fit with Loki's word. Of course, Loki wouldn't say an exact number, if only because it would be long and boring to do. There could be 400 million, or 650 million people in this world, but since we have three numbers that match with each other (rough estimate of dwarven population, number of important gods in the northern pantheon, rough estimate of the world population), it's fair to think that they are roughly trustworthy.

Do you want to build monstrous characters with reasonable LA? Join the Monster Mash! Currently, round XII: One-Punch Monster!!! Come judge single-strike entries!
    Searchable spreadsheet of 3.5 monsters by abilities, now with all online monsters

3.5 allows you to optimize into godhood, yes, but far more importantly, it lets you optimize weak, weird, and niche options into relevance.

11. - Top - End - #761

Quote Originally Posted by Beni-Kujaku View Post
    It's more like "it makes most sense to make this assumption because there's no other more probable assumption to make."
    If that was true it wouldn't actually be an improvement. But since you find that argument compelling, I am possibly about to blow your mind (more likely about to mildly annoy you by rejecting a premise you don't consider up for question, but hey): If the best estimate of the number of dwarves we have is based on, "If we assume Loki was speaking with precise mathematical accuracy while yelling at Thor, and that he meant the entire world's population and not the population of the North, and also that he was counting goblins, elves, and other sapient races which explicitly have their own gods, and also Hel was similarly precisely mathematically accurate when she was gloating at the Godsmoot even though she explicitly stuck a handwave into her speech and also the author said he didn't care about the accuracy of her numbers..."

...then the correct answer to how many dwarves are is, "Unknown." Something that only Precure--and perhaps you--seems to have a problem saying.

"Give me a better assumption or my assumption stands" is an attitude I've seen on this forum a few times, and it's just as utterly illogical now as the first time. "I don't know" is neither an obscene phrase nor somehow an admission of failure. If you don't have knowledge but you do have an assumption, then the choice available to you is to be Socrates or one of the explicitly less wise men* in Athens: do you know you know nothing?

*This is obviously an even more loaded choice should one not want to be a man.
    Last edited by Kish; 2023-02-09 at 12:50 PM.

12. - Top - End - #762
    Ettin in the Playground

I mean, from a scientific perspective, "ten million" has a single significant digit, which means the true value could be anywhere from 5,000,000 to 14,999,999. That's a ten-million-dwarf range of uncertainty.

As for "half a billion", well, that could be 0.5 billion, again a single significant digit, meaning a range from 0.45 billion to 0.549 billion. Or, it could be 1/2 a billion, which, if you're rounding to the nearest 1/2 billion, means the true value could be anywhere between 1/4 billion and just under 3/4 billion. I would also assume that that number represents only the Northern pantheon's share of the population, putting the world population anywhere from 3/4 billion to 2 1/4 billion "people". But that assumes each pantheon has an equal share of the population. Also, are humanoids (orcs, kobolds, goblinoids, gnolls, nymphs, faeries, etc) included in that number? We don't know.

There are so many unconfirmed assumptions going into that number as to make it useless for any meaningful discussion.
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-02-13 at 02:48 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

13. - Top - End - #763

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I mean, from a scientific perspective, "ten million" has a single significant digit, which means the true value could be anywhere from 5,000,000 to 14,999,999. That's a ten-million-dwarf range of uncertainty.
    Which is why scientific notation is typically used when applicable.

14. - Top - End - #764
    Ogre in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

If the best estimate of the number of dwarves we have is based on
    Yeah, I consider what is written in a comic correct in the frame of the comic, unless I have reasons to believe it's not. That's called the Occam's Razor, and it's basically equivalent to the scientific method. "Formulate an hypothesis based on available informations that doesn't contradict them and that uses as few assumptions as possible. As long as no new information contradicts this hypothesis, then it can be used to infer new results from this point onwards. If something contradicts it, find a new hypothesis which includes the new facts and build from there."
    Maybe the Snarl doesn't exist and Thor, as well as all other characters in the comic are lying about it. Maybe Tarquin isn't Elan's father. Maybe Roy is actually Sabine in disguise and Sabine has levels in Psion to explain the moments both of them were in the same room. I could read the comic that way, but then what's the point if I can't emotionally invest in a story where nothing is confirmed except word of god, and even then, with the exception that it could be retconned anytime?

Now, you'll notice that I'm absolutely not considering that either Loki nor Hel are mathematically accurate. They are clearly approximating. But the way they are approximating still gives us an estimate of the real number, because if they didn't think the real number would be close, then they would have chosen another wording.

15. - Top - End - #765
    Dwarf in the Playground

BarbarianGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bacon Elemental View Post
    Half a billion people as an estimate for a global population is also in the same ballpark (if somewhat higher) as global population estimates during the medieval period so it's a very reasonable number for Loki to throw out for Stickworld IMO
    Iirc, Rich came up with the 10 million number by just googling what medieval population of scandinavia was and going with it

16. - Top - End - #766
    Firbolg in the Playground

Had Tarquin been right, he might have ended up wrong earlier. How so, you might wonder. It's simple enough: Tarquin thought that Elan was the Protagonist, Leader and main Hero. Now, had that been true, the confrontation with Xykon would have likely been forced early anyhow, but the Bony Bastard would have faced an Order led by Elan. Therefore, he might have given him a personalized little speech about good heroes, great villains and Hollywood-style climactic fights –and it is not impossible that Elan would have reacted the same way to viewing the world in terms of narrative logic like that as he reacted to Tarquin explaining him how he (T.) envisions their dynamic.

Alternatively, Elan might have been receptive an the two could have become friends, but that sounds off.

17. - Top - End - #767

Belkar is an homage to Basic Edition halflings. He has an ability to hide that's superior in natural terrain and he uses thrown attacks from hiding in at least one important fight.

Rich tried to tell me with the halfing rock joke and I even looked up Basic Halflings to understand the Attack Rank G joke, but it didn't click until just now.

Spoiler: details for people who don't know Basic
    Show
    A Halfling in Basic Edition has a 90% chance of hiding in natural terrain and a 33% chance of hiding in dungeon terrain. The Halfling class gets +1 to all projectile attacks. Thrown weapons get bonuses from both strength and dexterity (melee weapons get only strength and missile weapons get only dexterity), and Halflings are encouraged to have high Strength and Dexterity because it gives them XP bonuses. They also get +1 to initiative, AC improved by 2 if their foe is bigger than a human, and the best saves in the game (shared with dwarves), if someone wants to tell me if those get a hat-tip somewhere.
    The creature in the darkness is [in the spoiler below] if Rich wrote a Cthulhu D20-based shaggy dog story.
    Spoiler: A shaggy dog story
    Show
    An evil sorcerer in command of a dark cult is trying to unleash a god-killing abomination more real than the gods themselves. At his side, yellow eyes revealed a Haunter of the Dark. The evil sorcerer ordered it to kill.
    TinyMushroom drew my avatar

18. - Top - End - #768
    Barbarian in the Playground

ClericGuy

So, it finally clicked that Dorukan isn't just summoning random lovers here.. He's specifically calling in Lirian.
    If you think "interesting" is an anticlimax, I feel sorry for you because it means you don't really know about interesting.
    ~Robin McKinley

19. - Top - End - #769
    Ettin in the Playground

I had always though that Serini's goggles had two different lens colors, and assumed they each did something different magically for her vision (maybe the red gives her infravision while the blue detects illusions or something).

Nope! They're both clear (panel 7).
    Last edited by Lord Torath; 2023-02-23 at 01:05 PM.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

20. - Top - End - #770

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Torath View Post
    I had always though that Serini's goggles had two different lens colors, and assumed they each did something different magically for her vision (maybe the red gives her infravision while the blue detects illusions or something).

Nope! They're both clear (panel 7).
    Huh. So it merely amplifies the image of the red eye behind it? Nice find!

21. - Top - End - #771
    Halfling in the Playground

BlackDragon

For complicated reasons, I first binged the comic in the experimental web browser of an amazon kindle, which does not have color. Which meant that I assumed Tarquin had blond hair until I bought one of the books.

22. - Top - End - #772

Nale, when he fights Elan in Azure city, says he would hire a cleric to resurrect Elan and kill him again in revenge for something he said. Hilgya, who was Nale's cleric, resurrects Durkon to immediately kill him in revenge for something he said.

Disproportionate revenge for quasi-imagined slights! Just like in the leaflets!
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

23. - Top - End - #773

Strip no. 450, panel no. 1. And let me tell you, I'm baffled. So, there's a figure lying in the middle of the picture, all alone. When I first noticed, I figured it's a hobgoblin, but then it dawned on me: how or why would a hobgoblin die so alone right there without anyone to animate him? Naturally, I concluded that it must, then, be Roy.

BUT THERE'S A TWIST! I zoomed in. The lying figure wears blue indeed; but the head is orange! (Which is most likely just an inconsequential error and it's really Roy; but I didn't notice before he's there, so this still counts.)

24. - Top - End - #774

Flumph

No, it's brown.

25. - Top - End - #775

No, it's brown.
    I mean, it doesn't look brown to me.

26. - Top - End - #776
    Ettin in the Playground

In the infinitely-scalable PDF, it's definitely Roy.

27. - Top - End - #777

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck View Post
    In the infinitely-scalable PDF, it's definitely Roy.
    The PDF is infinitely scalable? Way. Cool. (Also, thanks!)

28. - Top - End - #778

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Vector graphics are neat.

29. - Top - End - #779

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Vector graphics are neat.
    True enough. I've been meaning to get hold of Illustrator, or at least the Corel thing for a while now.

30. - Top - End - #780
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Metastachydium View Post
    Admittedly, my Adobe reader stops scaling at 6400%, but that's as I understand it.