New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121328 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

And yet again, the unholy abomination rides bare-back.

No saddles for the allosauruses, but the raptors get them. I can't tell about the Pteranadons, but I'm inclined to say "no." I thought Tarquin's had saddlebags, but it was just an emergency pouch. But the triceratops used a saddle, and the Patagotitan-sized brontosaurus had a howda.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #62
    Halfling in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by onigame View Post
    On strip #1044 Bandana mentions "Passage Pass", which is redundant because "Pass" and "Passage" mean the same thing. What I only noticed on the second read-through is that she mentions "Fissure Gap", which is exactly the same thing. In real life, people wouldn't name things redundantly like that. Except the River Avon, or the La Brea Tar Pits, or Table Mesa... okay, fine, I guess it only happens if you're in the Milky Way Galaxy.
    Yeah, that's actually pretty common in the real world: Nile and Indus both mean river; Mississippi means big river; Rhine and Rhone both mean flow, i.e., river. The Sahara and the Arabian Deserts are both technically the Desert Desert. Alps means mountains. A lot of the names of geographic features started out as common nouns. I just figured that the people in the Stickverse don't speak English, and the software that Burlew has been using to translate their language into English doesn't recognize place-names as proper nouns, so it just translates them literally.

On topic, I only noticed that the flag of Gobbotopia in 702 has a brown star for the bugbears after I read 1038.

3. - Top - End - #63
    Titan in the Playground

...Huh. The green star is the goblins, the orange star the hobgoblins, and the purple one TDO then. Neat.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

4. - Top - End - #64
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Oddstar View Post
    On topic, I only noticed that the flag of Gobbotopia in 702 has a brown star for the bugbears after I read 1038.
    I never noticed this either!

Rereading some of the archive today, and this is a small one, but I only just now noticed that it was Blackwing talking in panel 3 of #903. I always thought it was just V talking aloud, didn't notice Blackwing was contributing.
    Last edited by Mariele; 2020-04-28 at 12:49 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bravelove View Post
    people on this forum seeing the no politics sign: huh i wonder what that's for, can't be me, anyways time to compare the comic to politics again-
    Quote Originally Posted by Schroeswald View Post
    The people on this forum are the most pedantic group of people I have ever seen, that why.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Ettin in the Playground

I never noticed Kudzu reaching for Hilgya's dangling braid in panel 2.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by onigame View Post
    On strip #1044 Bandana mentions "Passage Pass", which is redundant because "Pass" and "Passage" mean the same thing. What I only noticed on the second read-through is that she mentions "Fissure Gap", which is exactly the same thing. In real life, people wouldn't name things redundantly like that. Except the River Avon, or the La Brea Tar Pits, or Table Mesa... okay, fine, I guess it only happens if you're in the Milky Way Galaxy.
    A lot of OOTS locations are named like this. (Remember the time we spent in the Wooden Forest?)

7. - Top - End - #67
    Bugbear in the Playground

GreataxeFighterGirl

I feel like it's been pointed out a lot, but in this strip Redcloak is actually tugging his cloak over the phylactery in the last panel. Which begs the question why he put it on his left side of his belt and it somehow migrated to his right...?

Also, in the next strip in the second panel the wights are just standing there, close to Tsukiko. I found that detail pretty creepy.

Second page, third panel, one of the crewmembers has an O-Chul-esque scar over his face.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by understatement View Post
    I feel like it's been pointed out a lot, but in this strip Redcloak is actually tugging his cloak over the phylactery in the last panel. Which begs the question why he put it on his left side of his belt and it somehow migrated to his right...?
    He handled it with his right hand and so put it on the right side of his belt. Noticing the possible danger he both cast with his right hand and hid the phylactery with his remaining (left) hand putting it on the left side of his cloak.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

9. - Top - End - #69

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    He handled it with his right hand and so put it on the right side of his belt. Noticing the possible danger he both cast with his right hand and hid the phylactery with his remaining (left) hand putting it on the left side of his cloak.
    But in the penultimate panel it's seen that the phylactery hangs off on his right side of his belt. And later he takes out the phylactery from his right side too.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Titan in the Playground

But in the penultimate panel it's seen that the phylactery hangs off on his right side of his belt. And later he takes out the phylactery from his right side too.
    Maybe he just reached that far behind his back?
    Forum Wisdom

11. - Top - End - #71

GreataxeFighterGirl

Maybe he just reached that far behind his back?
    And he did the entire thing behind the cloak?

Dexterity: 20+

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Tsukiko has problems finding “secret doors” that are literally in front of her. Even if she knew that was the phylactery - remember, it was originally Redcloak’s holy symbol, so outwardly it would likely look as a normal symbol of such - she probably would have failed the Spot check to notice it in the first place.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

13. - Top - End - #73

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    Tsukiko has problems finding “secret doors” that are literally in front of her. Even if she knew that was the phylactery - remember, it was originally Redcloak’s holy symbol, so outwardly it would likely look as a normal symbol of such - she probably would have failed the Spot check to notice it in the first place.
    Good point.

Also...for the whole "Durkon destroying the oak table," was the table the third ring of defense? I can't find if they ever explicitly confirm it or not.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Titan in the Playground

Also...for the whole "Durkon destroying the oak table," was the table the third ring of defense? I can't find if they ever explicitly confirm it or not.
    No, the first ring of defence was the outside of the cave - a narrow bridge over a chasm. Second was the first barrier (anti-magic) with soldiers behind it. And the third the last barrier, that turned you to stone if you broke the rules.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-04-30 at 05:36 PM.
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

15. - Top - End - #75
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    No, the first ring of defence was the outside of the cave - a narrow bridge over a chasm. Second was the first barrier (anti-magic) with soldiers behind it. And the third the last barrier, that turned you to stone if you broke the rules.

Grey Wolf
    Alternatively:

1) Orange Barrier that keeps foreigners, magic and foreign magic away.

2) Guards in the stairway.

3) Blue Barrier to prevent foul play.
    Forum Wisdom

16. - Top - End - #76
    Retired Mod in the Playground Retired Moderator

And he did the entire thing behind the cloak?

Dexterity: 20+
    His pants clearly only have one back pocket, on the right side. Since he readied his magic in his dominant hand first, he was forced to twist a bit to put the phylactery in his back pocket with his only remaining free hand. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it, no matter how little sense modern pants pocket on medieval/Renaissance-esque armor makes.

17. - Top - End - #77
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it, no matter how little sense modern pants pocket on medieval/Renaissance-esque armor makes.
    How else would a heavily-armored spellcaster be expected to have ready access to their spell components and focuses?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

18. - Top - End - #78
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Alternatively:

Thats how I would call it.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

19. - Top - End - #79

GreataxeFighterGirl

Quote Originally Posted by Grey Watcher View Post
    His pants clearly only have one back pocket, on the right side. Since he readied his magic in his dominant hand first, he was forced to twist a bit to put the phylactery in his back pocket with his only remaining free hand. At least that's my story and I'm sticking to it, no matter how little sense modern pants pocket on medieval/Renaissance-esque armor makes.
    But...why? Also he's just hanging it on his belt. And I'm surprised he didn't tuck it away before teleporting back to a place he knows that Xykon and Tsukiko could be watching.

Good thing the hobgoblin 'janitor' had more than one pocket then, or else Tsukiko would have found something else along with a key.

Grey Wolf
    Alternatively:

Is there a comic strip where this is concretely mention? I thought the oak table might've been the "ring of defense" Durkon was talking about due to

a) it's a ring

b) the amount of rule-fu Durkon used meant only people familiar with the laws could use it to maximum effect. Durkon? Read that green book front and back. Gontor? Maybe skipped it over. Voila, Durkon wins.

20. - Top - End - #80
    Titan in the Playground

Is there a comic strip where this is concretely mention?
    No, but for my part, this one says they are in the middle chamber and talks about the inner chamber being the meeting room, which implies an outer chamber as well, neatly matching Durkon's words of three rings of defence. It also explains the lack of safety handrails in the bridge.

Grey Wolf
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

21. - Top - End - #81

No, but for my part, this one says they are in the middle chamber and talks about the inner chamber being the meeting room, which implies an outer chamber as well, neatly matching Durkon's words of three rings of defence. It also explains the lack of safety handrails in the bridge.

Grey Wolf
    I never noticed that dwarves studied under the Imperial School of Civil Engineering at Coruscant.

22. - Top - End - #82

Why would dwarves worry about railings? Proper folk are very Stable and will never go over the edge. It's the flighty leaf-eared ones who do silly things like that.

23. - Top - End - #83
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    I never noticed that dwarves studied under the Imperial School of Civil Engineering at Coruscant.
    Please, they obviously studied at Narvi’s School of Architecture, Sculpture and Smithing in Moria. They are dwarves after all.
    Forum Wisdom

24. - Top - End - #84
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Why would dwarves worry about railings? Proper folk are very Stable and will never go over the edge. It's the flighty leaf-eared ones who do silly things like that.
    Because tripping due to aching joints and falling to your death is not a honorable death.

And yes, I think you're not being serious, but the bridge is wide enough it is not dangerous for a few individuals in a small group. But it is a great defensive setup if a mob is clamoring for a representative government.

First ring of defence: anti-armies
    Second ring of defence: anti-magic & foreigners
    Third ring of defence: anti-antics

Grey Wolf

25. - Top - End - #85

Because tripping due to aching joints and falling to your death is not a honorable death.

And yes, I think you're not being serious, but the bridge is wide enough it is not dangerous for a few individuals in a small group. But it is a great defensive setup if a mob is clamoring for a representative government.

First ring of defence: anti-armies
    Second ring of defence: anti-magic & foreigners
    Third ring of defence: anti-antics

Grey Wolf
    Unless the armies ride single file to hide their numbers!

26. - Top - End - #86
    Titan in the Playground

That'd be the intelligent thing to do.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett, Jingo
    The intelligence of that creature known as a crowd is the square root of the number of people in it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry Pratchett, Maskerade
    the IQ of a mob is the IQ of its most stupid member divided by the number of mobsters
    Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-05-01 at 09:59 AM.

27. - Top - End - #87
    Titan in the Playground

Come to think of it, gaderffii do (vaguely) resemble urgroshes....Maybe dwarves are a (distant) offshoot of the Sand People?
    Feytouched Banana eldritch disciple avatar by...me!

The Index of the Giant's Comments VI―Making Dogma from Zapped Bananas

28. - Top - End - #88
    Orc in the Playground

NinjaGuy

I only noticed the... black thingies in the background on panel one of this page.

I tried to figure out what it was by reading through earlier pages and later pages but alas, I failed.

My best guesses is that it is either more, smaller pieces of the zombie dragon also falling to the ground or shots from the catapults in the distance.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post
    I only noticed the... black thingies in the background on panel one of this page.

I tried to figure out what it was by reading through earlier pages and later pages but alas, I failed.

My best guesses is that it is either more, smaller pieces of the zombie dragon also falling to the ground or shots from the catapults in the distance.
    Looks like arrows to me.

Grey Wolf

30. - Top - End - #90

Quote Originally Posted by Bedinsis View Post

You mean the arrows?