New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 7 of 34 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415161732 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #181
    Ettin in the Playground

Default Re: Things You Never Noticed VII: Wait, This Isnt the MitD Thread?

There was a bill passed in 1975 to convert the US to the metric system, but someone replaced the "within 10 years" phrase with "voluntary conversion". So nothing really happened.
    Warhammer 40,000 Campaign Skirmish Game: Warpstrike
    My Spelljammer stuff (including an orbit tracker), 2E AD&D spreadsheet, and Vault of the Drow maps are available in my Dropbox. Feel free to use or not use it as you see fit!
    Thri-Kreen Ranger/Psionicist by me, based off of Rich's A Monster for Every Season

2. - Top - End - #182
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Aye. The Mars probe disaster wasn't a "nobody should use USCU, everyone should use metric" issue, it was a "write the dang units!" issue. Which almost every basic math and science class I'd ever taken were consistently and uniformly insistent on.
    Actually it was more a "comment your goddamn code!" issue.

EDIT:
    Quote Originally Posted by Jasdoif View Post
    Personally, I think preferred units are a matter of culture, as well as of measure. Units are as important as the number they're associated with, and the people using them; and unit conversion is cultural acceptance given technical form: The idea that other people's thoughts and words are no less valuable solely for being made along different lines than your own, even if you don't understand why they're different; and with a little effort you can still understand what they're saying, and it's worthwhile. Like you say, an eighth-of-a-billion-dollar Mars probe was lost because some people only looked at the numbers and just assumed their units were the only one that could matter; and that was an incident that only cost dollars instead of lives.
    The thing is systems having different origins doesn't mean some aren't objectively better made. For example, I think that the way we French say 70, 80 and 90 is stupid and we should use the Swiss and Belgian words for them because the one we use don't fit with the rest anymore. It would be hard to do because habits are hard to change, but if ther were a movement to do just that I'd support it.

Likewise the USCU are defined based on the SI units, most everybody else is already using the SI, whose mission statement is to belong to all of mankind as a whole rather than a single country and many people in the U.S. are already using the SI units especially in the fields of science because it eases communication and because theya re objectively easier to use for switching from length to volule to mass to force to energy or any other combination.

So really besides tradition is there a reason not to do complete the transition? because the longer it takes, the harder it will be to do most likely. I don't really care myself since I don't really have to deal with american units with anything resembling frequency, but I am curious.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-06-19 at 04:29 PM.
    Forum Wisdom

Mage avatar by smutmulch & linklele.

3. - Top - End - #183

Not even tradition is a good reason for not switching. Metric is so much f***ing simpler to use.

4. - Top - End - #184
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Rogar Demonblud View Post
    Not even tradition is a good reason
    Tradition is a terrible reason for most* things really.

*the exception being ‘as an excuse to party’ because there are no wrong reason to party.
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-06-19 at 05:25 PM.

5. - Top - End - #185
    Ogre in the Playground

I'm sorry. I didn't think my comment would spawn this flamewar. (If you wanted to know my opinion on this, see a recent post elsewhere.)
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-06-19 at 06:32 PM.

6. - Top - End - #186
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by b_jonas View Post
    If you wanted to know my opinion on this,[/url] see a recent post elsewhere.
    [...]
    I don’t understand why it is considered so backwards that Americans measure some lengths in inches and feet and yards and miles and some weights in ounces and pounds. Like, do a few different non-metric units make that much of a difference? Or is a unit especially bad just because it’s “imperial”?

It does make a difference, and it is not bad because it's imperial, it is bad because there is no unit continuity. For example, you are furbishing a road. You need to estimate how many safety guardrails you'll need. Each one is about, say, 60 inches long. The road is 150 miles long. How many will you need? Heck if anyone can tell. But if the road is 150 km long, and each guardrail is 60 cm long, then it is practically trivial. (this is an actual situation I was confronted with, except with gas pipelines. A bad conversion was giving the wrong numbers, but because there is an absurd number of inches to a miles, no-one knew the values were off until I converted everything to metric, and spotted that something was not in the ballpark).

Or, in my everyday life rather than professional one: I was trying to chlorinate my child's pool. If it is 80 cm to the side, and I filled it 25 cm deep, the volume in litres is simple enough, and thus the amount of chlorine that needs to go in. But if you measured it in inches (and let's say that it's a bigger one, and it is 80 inches to the side and 25 inches deep so that it's not the numbers that are the issue)... can any American even calculate how many gallons of water there are? Or do they need to go running to a private corporation to do their basic math for them? And this is not a place where you want to be off - chlorine is only safe between 2 and 5 parts per million. If you put in the wrong number of (checks)... quarter of teaspoons (!?) you could easily cause serious damage. And good luck to you if it turns out you need 3.28 quarters of teaspoon.

I don't give a damn if the base value is based on the size of the Earth or some dead king's shoe size. I care that I can trivially convert between lengths and volumes, and scale up and down without having to depend on having an Internet connection.

Grey Wolf
    Interested in MitD? Join us in MitD's thread.
    There is a world of imagination
    Deep in the corners of your mind
    Where reality is an intruder
    And myth and legend thrive
    Quote Originally Posted by The Giant View Post
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?
    Ceterum autem censeo Hilgya malefica est

7. - Top - End - #187
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by Grey_Wolf_c View Post
    can any American even calculate how many gallons of water there are? Or do they need to go running to a private corporation to do their basic math for them?
    Oh, don't worry, they offer those conversions for a nice, flat fee! Or, well, they used to. Now they've moved to the subscription model. Turns out they can just demand money on a constant basis instead of only once. Innovation!
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

8. - Top - End - #188
    Barbarian in the Playground

So essentially potions are bottles of Five Hour Energy.
    "Character is what you are in the dark." - D.L. Moody
    Life's too short to be ashamed of how you were born.

9. - Top - End - #189
    Ogre in the Playground

Grey_Wolf: one commenter in this thread just gave 4 times the real volume for the cylinder, another commenter offered a cone that's two inches wide on its wider side as a shape that's no wider than one inch. Most people couldn't do the calculations that you mention anyway. I'm not saying that Americans are stupid or that their educations are bad, most Europeans who grew up here with the metric system also can't do those calculations, and will commit stupid mistakes.

I don't think uses inches makes it that much weird. I can remember that an inch is 0.0254 meters, a foot is 0.305 meters, and an ounce is usually either 0.028 liters or 0.028 kilograms, and can do calculations in my head with them, and the people who have to do these calculations and actually live in a place where they have to use these units are even more familiar with them. Most calculations aren't as simple as the ones you've picked, and you'll have to remember similar arbitrary constants for them anyway. In practice, I have to remember that my handspan is 0.023 meters long and a credit card is almost 0.10 meter long and an A4 paper is 0.279 meter times 0.210 meters long, because these are the ones I actually use for measuring distances because they're faster than getting a centimeter scale, even though I actually carry a centimeter scale in my backpack. I also have to remember approximately how much real money euros, US dollars, british pounds, swedish crowns are worth in real money (and ideal canadian dollars and australian dollars too, because some far east sellers use those on ebay), and those conversions even keep changing. Heck, I have to do conversions of time units and I'm supposed to know the numeric values for all the month names, and I make mistakes with the latter ones all the time, especially for August. The arbitrary constants that I need for eyeballing calculations aren't much better than what Americans need with their units.
    Last edited by b_jonas; 2020-06-19 at 10:39 PM.

10. - Top - End - #190

Grey_Wolf: one commenter in this thread just gave 4 times the real volume for the cylinder, another commenter offered a cone that's two inches wide on its wider side as a shape that's no wider than one inch.
    A.) Truncated cone, if we're going to be semantic about things.
    2.) Said truncated cone had the measurements clearly listed before you could even see it, and in addition, was explicitly called out as larger than a potion bottle. The example was intended as a reference point, something most people would be familiar with even if they do not use it, to help visualize how small a potion bottle would be, since it is even smaller than that (which, again, us why the measurements were clearly called out in advance).
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-06-19 at 10:44 PM.

11. - Top - End - #191
    Titan in the Playground

Grey_Wolf: one commenter in this thread just gave 4 times the real volume for the cylinder, another commenter offered a cone that's two inches wide on its wider side as a shape that's no wider than one inch. Most people couldn't do the calculations that you mention anyway. I'm not saying that Americans are stupid or that their educations are bad, most Europeans who grew up here with the metric system also can't do those calculations, and will commit stupid mistakes.
    Let's say those are universal mistakes (I disagree, but I'll grant you the point because I don't care). My point was that if you use metric, you realise that you made a mistake so much easier because the numbers convert and scale up so well. And therefore it is one less point where errors can occur. A metric user might still forget to divide the diameter by two when calculating the area of a circle, but they are not going to, say, transpose the digits of the conversion factor between cm3 and litres because there aren't any digits to transpose. The one mistake that can be made due to the unit of measurement in metric is the number of 0s, and the error size when that happens is literally in the orders of magnitude scale, and thus trivially noticeable.

Grey Wolf
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-19 at 11:06 PM.
    But really, the important lesson here is this: Rather than making assumptions that don't fit with the text and then complaining about the text being wrong, why not just choose different assumptions that DO fit with the text?

12. - Top - End - #192
    Ogre in the Playground

Let's say those are universal mistakes (I disagree, but I'll grant you the point because I don't care). My point was that if you use metric, you realise that you made a mistake so much easier because the numbers convert and scale up so well. And therefore it is one less point where errors can occur. A metric user might still forget to divide the diameter by two when calculating the area of a circle, but they are not going to, say, transpose the digits of the conversion factor between cm3 and litres because there aren't any digits to transpose. The one mistake that can be made due to the unit of measurement in metric is the number of 0s, and the error size when that happens is literally in the orders of magnitude scale, and thus trivially noticeable.

Grey Wolf
    It is easier to notice you have spare zeroes over a 52.80 multiplier...
    An explanation of why MitD being any larger than Huge is implausible.

See my extended signature here! May contain wit, candor, and somewhere from 52 to 8127 walruses.

Purple is humorous descriptions made up on the fly
    Green is serious talk about hypothetical
    Blue is irony and sarcasm

"I think, therefore I am,
    I walk, therefore I stand,
    I sleep, therefore I dream;
    I joke, therefore I meme."
    -Squire Doodad

13. - Top - End - #193
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    2.) and in addition, was explicitly called out as larger than a potion bottle. The example was intended as a reference point, something most people would be familiar with even if they do not use it, to help visualize how small a potion bottle would be, since it is even smaller than that (which, again, us why the measurements were clearly called out in advance).
    Sorry, you're right. I misread your post. It did clearly say "this is bigger than a potion bottle".

14. - Top - End - #194
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post

The thing is systems having different origins doesn't mean some aren't objectively better made. For example, I think that the way we French say 70, 80 and 90 is stupid and we should use the Swiss and Belgian words for them because the one we use don't fit with the rest anymore. It would be hard to do because habits are hard to change, but if ther were a movement to do just that I'd support it.
    This reminds me of the Belgian druid Septantesix, who creates an invulnerability potion that lets you use your hands to pull fries out of boiling oil.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

15. - Top - End - #195
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    This reminds me of the Belgian druid Septantesix, who creates an invulnerability potion that lets you use your hands to pull fries out of boiling oil.
    ...I’m sorry WHAT.
    Cool elan Illithid Slayer by linkele.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt
    We also have a TvTropes page!

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Quote Originally Posted by Squire Doodad View Post
    I could write a lengthy explanation, but honestly just what danielxcutter said.
    Extended sig here.

16. - Top - End - #196
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Vinyadan View Post
    And so, something good came out of htis whole discussion.
    Forum Wisdom

17. - Top - End - #197
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by danielxcutter View Post
    ...I’m sorry WHAT.
    It's a reference to the Asterix books. Specifically Asterix and the Goths, IIRC.
    -.____________________
    ./___________________()-------Ron Miel
    |...___________________--------sits down
    |..| |_________________()-------and starts
    |..|/__________________--------singing
    | ___________________()-------about gold

18. - Top - End - #198
    Titan in the Playground

...I’m sorry WHAT.
    Septantesix is so named because Belgians say 70 "septante six" while the French say (confusingly enough) "soixante-seize".
    Last edited by Fyraltari; 2020-06-20 at 09:54 AM.
    Forum Wisdom

19. - Top - End - #199
    Titan in the Playground

... And also Belgium is the origin of what Americans call "French fries"*, so in Asterix comics, they are forever dunking potatoes in oil.

(If you are about to objet about potatoes not existing in Europe until 1500 years later, be aware that Asterix is unconcerned with your complaints about anachronisms)

ETA: how many posters does it take to explain an Asterix joke? Three, as it turns out.

Grey Wolf

* Wikipedia claims this is "disputed", FWIW
    Last edited by Grey_Wolf_c; 2020-06-20 at 10:03 AM.

20. - Top - End - #200

... And also Belgium is the origin of what Americans call "French fries"*

Not really, the "freedom fries" thing never caught on. HEYO!

21. - Top - End - #201
    Titan in the Playground

... And also Belgium is the origin of what Americans call "French fries"*, so in Asterix comics, they are forever dunking potatoes in oil.

(If you are about to objet about potatoes not existing in Europe until 1500 years later, be aware that Asterix is unconcerned with your complaints about anachronisms)

ETA: how many posters does it take to explain an Asterix joke? Three, as it turns out.

Grey Wolf

Wether or not they invented it, the Belgians stereotypically eat more of those than we do.

Also potato in French is pomme de terre (ground apple) so French fries are often called pommes frites i.e. fried apples. In Astérix It is basically stated that they are frying slices of regular apples since they don’t have potatoes yet, much like the britons are drinking hot water with milk since they have no tea yet.
    Forum Wisdom

22. - Top - End - #202
    Ogre in the Playground

I don't know about "forever", I can only think of two instances, and in neither case was it specifically identified as potatoes. At least it wasn't in the British translations. In Asterix and the Goths, a druid is shown pulling fried food out of boiling oil with his bare hands. In Asterix in Belgium someone invents "fried chipped root vegetables."
    -.____________________

23. - Top - End - #203
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Fyraltari View Post
    . In Astérix It is basically stated that they are frying slices of regular apples
    Is that in the original French? I don't remember it in the British translation.
    -.____________________

24. - Top - End - #204
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Miel View Post
    Is that in the original French? I don't remember it in the British translation.
    I'm sure it is in the french version. I remember the Belgian guy who see a Roman soldier faint ("tomber dans les pommes") while boiling oil. That when he thought it may be a good idea.
    I 'm not sure it appears in the translated comics since I don't see any way to translate the joke.
    Last edited by rostvoid; 2020-06-21 at 04:03 AM.
    Thanks to the giant for the avatar

25. - Top - End - #205
    Dwarf in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rostvoid View Post
    I'm sure it is in the french version. I remember the Belgian guy who see a Roman soldier faint ("tomber dans les pommes") while boiling oil. That when he thought it may be a good idea.
    I 'm not sure it appears in the translated comics since I don't see any way to translate the joke.
    The British (purchased in Ireland, but almost all of our international books share the same text with them anyhow) version of Asterix in Belgium's joke is that he talks about how a throwaway roman boiling oil is a 'mere vegetable rooted to the spot', and how he's got a chip on his shoulder. The combination of 'chips', 'root vegetables' and 'boiled in oil' all kind of spirals from there. The apple part must have gotten lost in translation, because we don't have the whole 'apples of the earth' connection between potatoes and apples.

(Jesus, looking through my old copy, these comics were just very enthusiastic about wordplay and puns. Does that carry on from the original French, or was it added post-translation?)
    I draw, and I write sometimes! Drow paladin avatar by me. They/Them

26. - Top - End - #206
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by deltamire View Post
    The British (purchased in Ireland, but almost all of our international books share the same text with them anyhow) version of Asterix in Belgium's joke is that he talks about how a throwaway roman boiling oil is a 'mere vegetable rooted to the spot', and how he's got a chip on his shoulder. The combination of 'chips', 'root vegetables' and 'boiled in oil' all kind of spirals from there. The apple part must have gotten lost in translation, because we don't have the whole 'apples of the earth' connection between potatoes and apples.

(Jesus, looking through my old copy, these comics were just very enthusiastic about wordplay and puns. Does that carry on from the original French, or was it added post-translation?)
    I’d imagine both to some extent, really. A lot of French puns probably don’t work in other languages, but it’s still possible to make puns in other languages that work in the situation (looking at you, Korean translation for Undertale) and the jokes that don’t rely on French probably work just fine.

Editor/co-writer of Magicae Est Potestas, a crossover between Artemis Fowl and Undertale. Ao3 FanFiction.net DeviantArt

Currently playing: Red Hand of Doom(campaign journal) Campaign still going on, but journal discontinued until further notice.

Extended sig here.

27. - Top - End - #207
    Pixie in the Playground

ClericGuy

There is clearly a lot of puns in the French.
    I’d imagine both to some extent, really. A lot of French puns probably don’t work in other languages, but it’s still possible to make puns in other languages that work in the situation (looking at you, Korean translation for Undertale) and the jokes that don’t rely on French probably work just fine.
    That's the whole point of a good translation. But of course one can't translate all the subtleties of a puns...
    What about Undertale ?
    Thanks to the giant for the avatar

28. - Top - End - #208
    Titan in the Playground

Oh god, you have no idea. Goscinny (the author) is all about puns, sometimes the setup for a pun takes almost the entire album (like the grognards joke from Astérix in Corsica).
    That said, Iznogoud is the place where he really lets loose, it's hard to find a panel without a pun somewhere.
    Forum Wisdom

29. - Top - End - #209
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by rostvoid View Post
    There is clearly a lot of puns in the French.

That's the whole point of a good translation. But of course one can't translate all the subtleties of a puns...
    What about Undertale ?
    A lot of Sans’ bone puns translate pretty well into Korean. Go figure.

Extended sig here.

30. - Top - End - #210
    Ogre in the Playground

what Americans call "French fries"*

Not surprising. As far as I understand, the American call it "fries", the British just call them "chips", and the European have this stereotypical misconception that the American have to call them "French fries" because they are too dumb to understand what "chips" or "Pommes" means.