New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #91
    Firbolg in the Playground

Flumph

Default Re: Captain Marvel Fame & Recognition

Speedball is pretty much an ultra-nobody though. Like they tried to make him a thing after Civil War by making him grim and edgy but nobody liked it.

2. - Top - End - #92
    Eldritch Horror in the Playground Moderator

Clearly,he must have been unpopular because his new personality/powerset had nothing to do with cocaine.

3. - Top - End - #93

Flumph

Quote Originally Posted by The Glyphstone View Post
    Clearly,he must have been unpopular because his new personality/powerset had nothing to do with cocaine.
    Oh I know who Speedball is. I also know who bleedball/emoball is.

I was continuing the joke about drugs based superheroes (Okay Snowflame is a villain whatever).

The fact that this confusion ever arose demonstrates how Z list Speedball really is.
    Last edited by GloatingSwine; 2020-01-18 at 12:43 PM.

4. - Top - End - #94

Quote Originally Posted by GloatingSwine View Post
    Oh I know who Speedball is. I also know who bleedball/emoball is.

I was continuing the joke about drugs based superheroes (Okay Snowflame is a villain whatever).

The fact that this confusion ever arose demonstrates how Z list Speedball really is.
    I only remember him specifically because of the emo remake, where he put spikes inside his armor so he was always cutting himself or something so hilariously gratuitous after he accidentally blew up a school. But it was Peelee who didn't believe a character with that name actually existed, and I think the joke has taken on a life of its own.

5. - Top - End - #95
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Peelee View Post
    Huh I was unaware of that until just now.

6. - Top - End - #96
    Dragon in the Playground Moderator

Huh. "Ain't no daughter o' mine is a mutant! Crazy red and white hair is acceptable though." C'mon redneck papa, you know that wouldn't fly. Also, Miss Marvel picked a really weird hill to fight on. "As far as you specifically are concerned I may or may not be married!"

I did wonder about the disparity of Rogue's powers between the cartoon and the movies, so that's helpful.
    Last edited by Peelee; 2020-01-18 at 01:50 PM.
    Cuthalion's art is the prettiest art of all the art. Like my avatar.

Number of times Roland St. Jude has sworn revenge upon me: 2

7. - Top - End - #97
    Ogre in the Playground

Who?
    In fairness, all I knew about Moon Knight was:

1. His hero name
    2. The fact that he wore mostly white and had a cape

But I did know he existed. (And now apparently they're planning a Moon Knight TV show somewhere down the line for the MCU so...yay I guess?)

Speedball is pretty much an ultra-nobody though.
    And yet I knew about him and not Carol Danvers! Admittedly that might say more about me than it does about either of them.

I only remember him specifically because of the emo remake, where he put spikes inside his armor so he was always cutting himself or something so hilariously gratuitous after he accidentally blew up a school.
    IIRC he wasn't even the one who blew it up, the super villain his team was fighting did. Nitro, I think? But yes, hilariously gratuitous.

8. - Top - End - #98
    Troll in the Playground

Huh. "Ain't no daughter o' mine is a mutant! Crazy red and white hair is acceptable though." C'mon redneck papa, you know that wouldn't fly. Also, Miss Marvel picked a really weird hill to fight on. "As far as you specifically are concerned I may or may not be married!"

I did wonder about the disparity of Rogue's powers between the cartoon and the movies, so that's helpful.
    It's Ms. Marvel. Not Miss.

It's an honorific from the Feminist movement of the 70's in which there was a dedicated effort to create a new standard form of a address for women that wasn't premised on their marital status but rather the recognition of themselves as individuals. The inception and original run of Ms. Marvel comics was very conscious of then contemporary gender politics with how they positioned Carol as a character and the language they used to attempt to make her emblematic of the modern, progressive woman.

Then, less then a decade later, Avengers 200 happened. In which it's writers decided for this milestone for Carol would be mind controlled, raped, impregnated, give birth to a reincarnation of her rapist, and then sent off to another dimension to live with her spawn forever -- all while her fellow Avengers cheered her on.

But, such is life.
    Last edited by Kitten Champion; 2020-01-18 at 04:27 PM.

9. - Top - End - #99

Flumph

I only remember him specifically because of the emo remake, where he put spikes inside his armor so he was always cutting himself or something so hilariously gratuitous after he accidentally blew up a school. But it was Peelee who didn't believe a character with that name actually existed, and I think the joke has taken on a life of its own.
    Yeah.

The silly explanation is that after it all went down his powers stopped working if he wasn't in pain, and given that he's all but immune to blunt force he needed the spikes for his powers to work.

Spoiler: He's too deep for us, we wouldn't understand.
    Show

Context: At the time Squirrel Girl had a crush on Robbie, so when she found out what had happened because Deadpool lent her a copy of Civil War Frontline No. 11 she decided to go back in time to stop it, so she went to Latveria and borrowed Dr. Doom's time machine (he wasn't going to try and stop her, Doom does not commit the same error twice!). But it was too late, he was too far gone.

10. - Top - End - #100
    Titan in the Playground

Carol has been a long-standing workhorse of the Avengers, popular enough to have carried relatively long running solo books and to be a regular team fixture and to show up in other team books like the X-Men.

She's been more prominent in recent years as Marvel have been interested in promoting teams and characters they have the rights to.

(Thor was not a top-tier Marvel superhero. You can tell who was a top tier Marvel superhero because they were worth someone buying the film rights to when Marvel were near bankruptcy, so Spidey, Hulk, the X-Men, and the Fantastic Four. Everyone else was B-List or lower compared to them).
    Blade? (Everyone forgets about Blade.)
    GITP Blood Bowl Manager Cup
    Red Sabres - Season I Cup Champions, two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Anlec Razors - Two-time Cup Semifinalists
    Bad Badenhof Bats - Season VII Cup Champions
    League Wiki

Spoiler: Previous Avatars
    Show
    (by Strawberries)
    (by Rain Dragon)

11. - Top - End - #101
    Troll in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Aedilred View Post
    Blade? (Everyone forgets about Blade.)
    I think that's because he doesn't really feel like a Superhero. I mean, his whole niche is fighting vampires, which becomes a thing in and of itself.

Like, you could call Angel from BtVS a superhero and not exactly be wrong, but he fits more in that urban fantasy/supernatural drama sub-genre. I don't think Blade is that far off from him, really.

Though, yeah, people tend to overlook Blade and start with X-Men for the whole Superhero movie renaissance.

12. - Top - End - #102
    Ettin in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kitten Champion View Post
    Like, you could call Angel from BtVS a superhero
    Well he kindof was just check out this click and tell me it isn't superhero worthy.

He even comes with his own pseudo-supervillian (you know he is bad because he smokes).

13. - Top - End - #103
    Troll in the Playground

He's very Batman-esque when he's wall-climbing (I think he even has a grappling hook at points too) or pulling one of those escapes where he vanishes mid-conversation to the other person's befuddlement once the camera pans away from him.

Despite that, I doubt many would refer to him as a Superhero just for the lack of any of the traditional trappings.

14. - Top - End - #104

Yeah, I don't personally think of Blade a superhero either, even if he is originally from a comic book.

15. - Top - End - #105

How about Spawn?

16. - Top - End - #106

Spawn I would credit as being a super 'hero', yeah. Never seen his movie, though.

17. - Top - End - #107

Spawn I would credit as being a super 'hero', yeah. Never seen his movie, though.
    It's.... as good as you'd expect a superhero movie based on Spawn in 1997 could have been.

18. - Top - End - #108
    Titan in the Playground

I remember it being entertaining enough.

Don't forget there was a Spawn cartoon as well around that time.

19. - Top - End - #109

Am I the only one who remembers Miss Marvel surviving as a parasitic entity within Rogue's mind, making her insane and forcing someone to actually enter Rogue's mindscape to scrap Marvel's remnants out of it?

EDIT: I didn't know it was Marvel, just this very angry very white woman.
    Last edited by Vinyadan; 2020-01-19 at 05:03 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by J.R.R. Tolkien, 1955
    I thought Tom Bombadil dreadful — but worse still was the announcer's preliminary remarks that Goldberry was his daughter (!), and that Willowman was an ally of Mordor (!!).

20. - Top - End - #110
    Bugbear in the Playground

RogueGuy

What does that even mean? He doesn't even feel like a superhero. What because he is black? If he were white he would have been lauded for being the first correctly done r rated superhero movie way before deadpool and iron man was. I mean you want to break it down .. superman isn't really a super hero movie either.. just a alien coming to earth movie.. same thing with x men. Just mutants doing their crazy thing mutant things. Iron man and batman? Just rich white guys forcing their brand of justice in people who can't afford to stand up against them.

21. - Top - End - #111
    Titan in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Kyberwulf View Post
    What does that even mean? He doesn't even feel like a superhero. What because he is black? If he were white he would have been lauded for being the first correctly done r rated superhero movie way before deadpool and iron man was. I mean you want to break it down .. superman isn't really a super hero movie either.. just a alien coming to earth movie.. same thing with x men. Just mutants doing their crazy thing mutant things. Iron man and batman? Just rich white guys forcing their brand of justice in people who can't afford to stand up against them.
    WTF are you even going on about?

Blade doesn't feel like a superhero because he's a monster hunter, not a traditional hero. Are Sam and Dean of Supernatural superheroes too?

Blade media isn't framed or shot the same way superhero movies are, they're shot like monster movies and horror action flicks, like Underworld and whatnot. It kicked off an entire craze of those kinds of movies. Including the aforementioned Underworld and whatnot.
    Last edited by Rynjin; 2020-01-19 at 07:52 PM.

22. - Top - End - #112

Quote Originally Posted by Rynjin View Post
    WTF are you even going on about?

Blade doesn't feel like a superhero because he's a monster hunter, not a traditional hero. Are Sam and Dean of Supernatural superheroes too?

Blade media isn't framed or shot the same way superhero movies are, they're shot like monster movies and horror action flicks, like Underworld and whatnot. It kicked off an entire craze of those kinds of movies. Including the aforementioned Underworld and whatnot.
    Wait...if Blade kicked off the trend that created Underworld, and Underworld created the modern vampire vs. werewolf rivalry....does that mean Blade is indirectly responsible for Twilight?

23. - Top - End - #113

Captain Marvel doesn't have A+ recognition. The character's primary claim to fame is winning a trademark suit against a similarly named DC character.
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

WoTC Forums Archive + Indexing Projext

PostImage, a free and sensible alternative to Photobucket

Temple+ Modding Project for Atari's Temple of Elemental Evil

Morrus' RPG Forum (EN World v2)

24. - Top - End - #114
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Bohandas View Post
    Captain Marvel doesn't have A+ recognition. The character's primary claim to fame is winning a trademark suit against a similarly named DC character.
    If I'm not mistaken last time that I check that Shazam was a Fawcett character before DC owning rights to him.

25. - Top - End - #115
    Titan in the Playground

Wait...if Blade kicked off the trend that created Underworld, and Underworld created the modern vampire vs. werewolf rivalry....does that mean Blade is indirectly responsible for Twilight?
    That tracks to me.

26. - Top - End - #116

It's Ms. Marvel. Not Miss.
    Its the same thing. "Ms." is at best an abbreviated form of "Miss" corresponding to the difference between "Mr." and "Mister". There's a case to me bade that it's not even necessarily that and could be considered al alternate spelling akin to color/colour or walkthrough/walkthru
    "If you want to understand biology don't think about vibrant throbbing gels and oozes, think about information technology" -Richard Dawkins

Omegaupdate Forum

27. - Top - End - #117
    Troll in the Playground

Its the same thing. "Ms." is at best an abbreviated form of "Miss" corresponding to the difference between "Mr." and "Mister". There's a case to me bade that it's not even necessarily that and could be considered al alternate spelling akin to color/colour or walkthrough/walkthru
    No, the whole point of it is it's not.

28. - Top - End - #118

This is an etymological fallacy. I don't think the fact that "Miss" once specifically designated a woman who is not married is widely remembered among people who aren't either ancient and/or english majors*. Furthermore, I doubt that anyone other than english majors alone would be able to tell you which is which, or even know that there was a difference beyond spelling, without consulting wikipedia.

*or who happened upon it after clicking through a long chain of different wikipedia articles.

EDIT:
    And its telling that your linked article doesn't have any examples of differentiation between the two that are from this century

EDIT:
    Now that I think of it, it's not even a proper etymological fallacy since the use of miss to indicate marital status reflects neither its current usage nor its original use, but rather a defunct use from the 19th and 20th centuries (quoting the article "Miss and Mrs., both derived from the then formal Mistress, like Mister did not originally indicate marital status" (emphasis mine)
    Last edited by Bohandas; 2020-01-19 at 11:07 PM.

Omegaupdate Forum

29. - Top - End - #119
    Troll in the Playground

This is an etymological fallacy. I don't think the fact that "Miss" once specifically designated a woman who is not married is widely remembered among people who aren't either ancient and/or english majors. Furthermore, I doubt that anyone other than english majors alone would be able to tell you which is which, or even know that there was a difference beyond spelling, without consulting wikipedia.
    Look, I'm not going to argue this.

Ultimately, this is what you're doing --

Spoiler
    Show

30. - Top - End - #120
    Titan in the Playground

DrowGuy

This is my opinion about the Ms. debate. I feel like that Ms. and Miss are the same things in my opinion. So anyway back to the topic. I feel like that Captain Marvel is just a B+ superhero with an A+ recognition. More importantly, I really like Captain Marvel.