Support the GITP forums on Patreon
Help support GITP's forums (and ongoing server maintenance) via Patreon
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #61
    Titan in the Playground

Default Re: (FILLED) Leostales's Story-Heavy 5e game (OOC)

There are some pretty heavy humanoid types in FF settings and Loxodon's are Medium size, so I can't imagine there'd be any issues.

2. - Top - End - #62
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Valmark View Post
    EDIT: Right, as long as you aren't using the bonus action (which happens at the latest at the third turn, more or less) you can cast freely spells which use bonus actions and no material components. Unless you pull the arcane focus out- which means that for one turn you can't pull out an handaxe (the loss of the fighting style is a non-issue, you weren't using it anymore at that point).
    Maybe get a tattoo for a focus, or an amulet?

3. - Top - End - #63
    Ogre in the Playground

That's a nice idea- though it does need houseruling. Tattoos can't be arcane focuses (it specifies that it's an item you hold and use- tattoos tecnically aren't items you can hold)

...to be more precise, the equipment section specifies that an arcane focus is an item (well, duh) and the spellcasting section specifies that material components/arcane focuses must be held in a hand.
    I won an argument with my GM -15/08/2017- (20:32 GMT +1)

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Beware of Bites is recruiting!

4. - Top - End - #64
    Titan in the Playground

And yet two out of three holy symbols and some druidic foci are things you wouldn't hold anyway.
    Edit: Actually even the reliquary could be a thing you wouldn't hold in your hands. *shrug*
    Last edited by Ramsus; 2020-01-14 at 11:04 PM.

5. - Top - End - #65
    Pixie in the Playground

@Valmark: I hadn't thought of that. You DO have a point. There is also the question of how to recover the axes after they're thrown and the battle concludes. Picking them up individually can be tiresome, but I think if you use an enchanted belt (I forget the item's name) it adds the "return" effect to all handaxes so that they reappear in your hand/belt after they're thrown. I suppose it might not be too practical to work with. Might be better to dual class into the ranged Fighter archetype and rock a bow of some kind. Fire arrows seem to make more sense than handaxes. But I'm not too sure.

What's everyone using for sheets, by the way?

6. - Top - End - #66
    Ogre in the Playground

biggrin Re: (FILLED) Leostales's Story-Heavy 5e game (OOC)

Dual class means...? I'd probably consider the handaxes picked up by default once the fight ends, assuming they are recoverable.

Anyway, I'm using mythweaver, pretty easy and efficient. Saw other people (on other topics) doing a sheet on Google Drive, but don't ask me how.

Want to try a WereWolf or Mafia game? Do you already know it and want to play it? Beware of Bites is recruiting!

7. - Top - End - #67
    Pixie in the Playground

Mutliclass.

I was using mythweaver but it looked as if it missed some blocks for certain things. Like spells and modifiers. I also didn't get why some checkboxes were there (like the one for caster). It seemed more sensible to switch to a custom sheet. Unless I missed something with mythweavers? I'm always interested in learning if I made a mistake.

8. - Top - End - #68
    Titan in the Playground

The checkbox for Caster is what makes the page for spell stuff appear. As for modifiers other than raw stat mods, you have to input the numbers yourself. Though this is a good thing since there are all sorts of ways to get bonuses at particular things that wouldn't be reflected just by stat + proficiency or not.

9. - Top - End - #69
    Pixie in the Playground

But why does it even auto-add modifiers in the first place? I might not have those as per my class or starting level and I'm not trying to cheat or anything. That's part of why I gave up on it. Just seemed needlessly complicated.

10. - Top - End - #70
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Yawning View Post
    Mutliclass.

I was using mythweaver but it looked as if it missed some blocks for certain things. Like spells and modifiers. I also didn't get why some checkboxes were there (like the one for caster). It seemed more sensible to switch to a custom sheet. Unless I missed something with mythweavers? I'm always interested in learning if I made a mistake.
    Oh, alright. It sounded like you were going to grab two times the fighter and I was kinda confused (my fault- the simplest meaning was the correct one)

What Ramsus said. Though I never knew before now- I have yet to make a character who doesn't have spells.

But why does it even auto-add modifiers in the first place? I might not have those as per my class or starting level and I'm not trying to cheat or anything. That's part of why I gave up on it. Just seemed needlessly complicated.
    It only auto-adds the modifiers that come from your attributes scores, those are the same for everyone (as in, it doesn't matter if you're a fighter or a wizard, a human or a tiefling, level 1 or 8- your 14 in intelligence is always going to lead to a +2 modifier). I think you can alter the modifiers after the sheet calculated them though? Never tried.
    Last edited by Valmark; 2020-01-16 at 05:42 AM.

11. - Top - End - #71
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

@Valmark: I hadn't thought of that. You DO have a point. There is also the question of how to recover the axes after they're thrown and the battle concludes. Picking them up individually can be tiresome, but I think if you use an enchanted belt (I forget the item's name) it adds the "return" effect to all handaxes so that they reappear in your hand/belt after they're thrown. I suppose it might not be too practical to work with. Might be better to dual class into the ranged Fighter archetype and rock a bow of some kind. Fire arrows seem to make more sense than handaxes. But I'm not too sure.

I created my character on D&D Beyond but it's pretty basic since I don't have any content purchased. As soon as I get enough posts, I will post it.

12. - Top - End - #72
    Titan in the Playground

Figured I might as well post my character now, obviously Familiar and Mount sections aren't filled out yet. Pastelle of Clan Raptor

13. - Top - End - #73
    Pixie in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Ramsus View Post
    Figured I might as well post my character now, obviously Familiar and Mount sections aren't filled out yet. Pastelle of Clan Raptor
    Coming along nicely, I'd say. Maybe I'm just on the slow side but if I could actually know how to begin filling these things out I'd be golden. It seems the most efficient order of operations is ...

Class (most of your scores, mods and traits come from this)
    Background
    History/Personality/Extra Stuff
    Race (since this will only offer slight buffs/nerfs in relation to starting scores and, arguably, matters the least overall)
    Last edited by Death Dealer; 2020-01-16 at 02:27 PM.

14. - Top - End - #74
    Ogre in the Playground

Wouldn't race influence more then other things? Since the attribute bonuses can influence skills/spells/HP/AC/attacks/initiative/carrying weight?

Leostales are we using Encumbrance rules?

15. - Top - End - #75
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

Quote Originally Posted by Yawning
    . It seems the most efficient order of operations is ...

Background
    Race (since this will only offer slight buffs/nerfs in relation to starting scores and, arguably, matters the least overall)
    I guess it depends. I usually start with race or class descriptors and I usually get inspiration from those; other times Iíve started with a weapon in mind.

16. - Top - End - #76
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Ok here's my go at designing a chocobo for the purposes of Find Steed. In this case it's a Blue Chocobo, which would be a bit higher CR than the lowest tier Yellow Chocobo which would have slightly lower stats and lack the swimming speed.
    (In case anyone is wondering, it's apparently canon in most FF games that chocobos are smart enough to understand human speech. *shrug*)

Design wise I based it on the Warhorse. Took away it's trampling move, added some utility stuff to help it be an ideal adventuring mount that can go wherever an adventurer can, and improved some stats a little bit. And a joke attack that shows up in some games because it amused me. Overall I think this still falls in line with the expectations of a CR 1/2 creature. Not that I have a lot of experience with monster design.
    I didn't give them any advantage on perception traits like most bird creatures have in D&D because FF wiki lore doesn't say anything about their senses and seemed a bit much to tack on with everything else.
    In case anyone is like "why can this bird swim and hold its breath so long?" blue chocobos are better than normal (yellow), mainly in their ability to swim across rushing rivers and stuff like that.

Spoiler: Blue Chocobo
    Show

Blue Chocobo
    Large beast, unaligned
    Armor Class 12
    Hit Points: 22 (3d10+6)
    Speed 60 ft., Climb 40 ft., Swim 60 ft.
    STR DEX CON INT WIS CHA
    18(+4) 14(+2) 14(+2) 8(-1) 12(+1) 10(+0)
    Senses passive Perception 11
    Languages: understands Common but can't speak
    Challenge 1/2 (100 XP)

Hold Breath: The chocobo can hold its breath for 30 minutes.

Poofy: The chocobo can squeeze to move through spaces a medium creature could fit through while squeezing.

Small Flappy Wings: When the chocobo make a Strength (Athletics) check to climb, run, swim or similar activities or Dexterity (Acrobatics) check it can rolls one Intuition die, a d4, and add the number rolled to the ability check.

Actions

Chocobo Kick: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 2d6+4 bludgeoning damage.

Chocobo Kick?: Melee Weapon Attack: +6 to hit, reach 5 ft., one target. Hit: 0d0+0 bludgeoning damage.

Variant: Chocobo Armor
    An armored chocobo has an AC based on the type of barding worn (see the Player's Handbook for more information on barding). The chocobo's AC includes its Dexterity modifier, where applicable. Barding doesn't alter the chocobo's challenge rating.
    AC Barding
    12 Leather
    13 Studded leather
    14 Ring mail
    15 Scale mail
    16 Chain mail
    17 Splint
    18 Plate
    That works.

@Leostales: Would you allow me to take a Pseudodragon familiar? I'm just asking because it matches the Gria dragon-people theme. If not, no worries and I'll just take a Crow (same stat block as Raven).

Edit: Just in case it's relevant, I'm aware that without the special warlock ability (or some other similar one) to allow your familiar to attack I wouldn't get the Pseudodragon's attacks.
    Since you wouldn't get the attacks, yeah it's fine.

I'd say your character should be able to recover all their axes after a fight unless the fight was in a place where axes would have a strong chance of getting lost, i.e. a swamp or densely wooded area. I'd also say there's a 10% chance a single axe would get broken in a fight.

Coming along nicely, I'd say. Maybe I'm just on the slow side but if I could actually know how to begin filling these things out I'd be golden. It seems the most efficient order of operations is ...

Background
    That sounds about right, though I'd agree with Valmark that race is a bit more important than you're giving it credit for.

Wouldn't race influence more then other things? Since the attribute bonuses can influence skills/spells/HP/AC/attacks/initiative/carrying weight?

Leostales are we using Encumbrance rules?
    Just use common sense when determining how much your character can realistically carry.
    Spoiler: FFRP Characters
    Show

17. - Top - End - #77
    Pixie in the Playground

@Leostales: I recalled the chat we had about a card-using character and since the pyromancer ended up less interesting to me, I decided to go back to my original idea. You don't have room in your inbox so I'll have to clutter the thread with my nonsense. Apologies in advance. I was able to get the hang of the sheet--only the levelling up and spells concepts still offer me a bit of confusion, but that can be assessed later. I have the backstory and traits planned out already. If this character is "broken" I can find a similar one, however, seeing as how we're all starting at level 3 (and possibly are capped at it?) I don't see my PC doing anything broken or unfair. Not that I'd want to play that way even if I could get away with it.

Have a look and share your thoughts when you read this.

Link to my PC sheet: Halfling Duelist.
    Here is the homebrew: King of Games (Homebrew).

EDIT: Anything that seems out of place or that it isn't adding up is either confusion/lack of clarity regarding the information in the class or just new player oversight. Not an attempt to cheat the system and sneak anything under GM's nose. Thank you!
    Last edited by Death Dealer; 2020-01-16 at 08:31 PM.

18. - Top - End - #78
    Titan in the Playground

It occurs to me to ask this only now, am I summoning the mount with or without armor? The spell doesn't provide any guidance on this topic. (It also doesn't mention saddle or such but I'm just assuming it comes with those since... the alternative is either that anyone who casts the spell rides bare back or is expected to carry a saddle around on their back when the mount isn't summoned. Both of which are very silly.)

19. - Top - End - #79
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

@Leostales: I recalled the chat we had about a card-using character and since the pyromancer ended up less interesting to me, I decided to go back to my original idea. You don't have room in your inbox so I'll have to clutter the thread with my nonsense. Apologies in advance. I was able to get the hang of the sheet--only the levelling up and spells concepts still offer me a bit of confusion, but that can be assessed later. I have the backstory and traits planned out already. If this character is "broken" I can find a similar one, however, seeing as how we're all starting at level 3 (and possibly are capped at it?) I don't see my PC doing anything broken or unfair. Not that I'd want to play that way even if I could get away with it.

Have a look and share your thoughts when you read this.

Link to my PC sheet: Halfling Duelist.
    Here is the homebrew: King of Games (Homebrew).

EDIT: Anything that seems out of place or that it isn't adding up is either confusion/lack of clarity regarding the information in the class or just new player oversight. Not an attempt to cheat the system and sneak anything under GM's nose. Thank you!
    I'm sorry but I think I'm going to have to say no to this one. It looks too complicated to run and I'm not a huge fan of the concept of fighting using cards in general. I'd prefer it if you found another class instead. Sorry.

It occurs to me to ask this only now, am I summoning the mount with or without armor? The spell doesn't provide any guidance on this topic. (It also doesn't mention saddle or such but I'm just assuming it comes with those since... the alternative is either that anyone who casts the spell rides bare back or is expected to carry a saddle around on their back when the mount isn't summoned. Both of which are very silly.)
    Spawning with a saddle is fine, the armor is not.
    Show

20. - Top - End - #80
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

@Valmark

Just to let you know, you're no longer an alternate, you're officially in the campaign.
    Show

21. - Top - End - #81
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Leostales View Post
    @Valmark

Just to let you know, you're no longer an alternate, you're officially in the campaign.
    Yay~! As soon as I've finished writing everything I'll post the character.

22. - Top - End - #82
    Titan in the Playground

That's a perfectly reasonable stance. If I get barding for it later on, would it conveniently go and come back with the creature summoned by the spell or would the armor just drop to the ground and I'd need to figure out a way to carry it until the mount could be re-summoned?

23. - Top - End - #83
    Pixie in the Playground

@Leostales: I was going with a more traditional caster but I do have a non-main caster concept somewhere. I think she may have a few spells. I'll check and send you a link. I believe it's mostly phb too, so all official save for a few things.
    Last edited by Death Dealer; 2020-01-18 at 05:15 PM.

24. - Top - End - #84
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

That's a perfectly reasonable stance. If I get barding for it later on, would it conveniently go and come back with the creature summoned by the spell or would the armor just drop to the ground and I'd need to figure out a way to carry it until the mount could be re-summoned?
    It can stay with the creature when it is "unsummoned." Though if the creature is killed and you summon another one, then the armor would not be on that one.

@Leostales: I was going with a more traditional caster but I do have a non-main caster concept somewhere. I think she may have a few spells. I'll check and send you a link. I believe it's mostly phb too, so all official save for a few things.
    Ok, I'll take a look at that.
    Show

25. - Top - End - #85
    Titan in the Playground

So, when are you expecting the game to start up? A specific date or just when people are finished making characters?

26. - Top - End - #86
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

So, when are you expecting the game to start up? A specific date or just when people are finished making characters?
    Yes, hopefully soon!

27. - Top - End - #87
    Pixie in the Playground

DwarfClericGuy

28. - Top - End - #88
    Ogre in the Playground

I should be posting my sheet later tonight- I'm not the only one remaining right?

This campaign is still on, right? From what I've seen around there seems to have been multiple games who had problems due to connection.

29. - Top - End - #89
    Orc in the Playground

MindFlayer

Well I'd like to get started pretty soon. I would've responded to this when the site was still up, but I was unable to post then.

I should be posting my sheet later tonight- I'm not the only one remaining right?

This campaign is still on, right? From what I've seen around there seems to have been multiple games who had problems due to connection.
    The campain IS still on. It'll take me a bit to get some stuff sorted out, but if everyone's characters are done we can get going soon.

It would be good if everyone still interested could let me know in the thread.
    Show

30. - Top - End - #90
    Barbarian in the Playground

Still interested.