New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
  1. - Top - End - #1
    Firbolg in the Playground

Planetar

Default Apocalypse Demon Kitten of DOOM!

This happened in our last session. I remember someone started up a 'How deadly can you make a kitten?' thread a while ago, so I thought they'd find this funny. :)

We ran into two Apocalypse Demon Unicorns - basically this monster modified for Forgotten Realms D&D. They could hide in plain sight and did chaotic and evil damage on a hit to any character who was lawful and/or good. The shadowdancer gets skewered and nearly killed - that's okay, all in a day's work for us. The fighters roll forward into melee and take one down. I hit the other with a baleful polymorph. It fails its save. I turn it into a kitten. (My character likes kittens.)

As it turned out, this was a mistake.

The creature keeps its template and special abilities, so now it's an Apocalypse Demon Kitten. It jumps on the nearest character and starts clawing him. Its claws do almost nothing but it's still got its chaos- and evil-aligned damage and all of a sudden it starts rolling nothing but 19s and 20s on its attacks. Everyone else tries to hit it but since it's so small, it gets cover from whoever it's attacking and it also now has an enormous AC, meaning the fighters keep hitting each other instead. Meanwhile the kitten's jumping from one person to another, hitting with every attack.

We imagined it as being a lot like the Killer Rabbit Scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. The party's HP got so low that we were seriously considering running away and trying to take it out with ranged attacks, but it was pointed out that if we ran away we'd never live it down. Finally the fighter managed to kill it with his axe and we all sighed in relief.

The DM mentioned that it was a good thing no-one had died, because there was no way the gods would agree to resurrect anyone killed by a kitten.

I think next time I use baleful polymorph I'll pick something less dangerous.

- Saph
    I'm the author of the Alex Verus series of urban fantasy novels. Fated is the first, and the final book in the series, Risen, is out as of December 2021. For updates, check my blog!

2. - Top - End - #2
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Apocalypse Demon Kitten of DOOM!

Saph, for your DM, send her/him my love please.
    And may I apply for a position?
    - Also, I have to do this for my campaign now.
    Last edited by Reinboom; 2007-10-21 at 12:30 PM.

3. - Top - End - #3
    Halfling in the Playground

Wow . . . just . . . wow. This is one of funniest things I've read in a long while. Thank you for sharing.
    Let's not go to Silent Hill. It is a scary place.

4. - Top - End - #4
    Bugbear in the Playground

PirateGuy

Excellent story. If this happened in my game, the party would have been the laughingstock of the Prime Material Plane.

One question: Why/how did the fighters hit each other? I don't remember rules for accidental friendly fire in melee...
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

5. - Top - End - #5
    Titan in the Playground

One question: Why/how did the fighters hit each other? I don't remember rules for accidental friendly fire in melee...
    The kitten is getting a cover bonus from the fighter it's fighting. If you miss a creature that has cover, there's a chance that you hit the cover instead. I'm not finding it in the online SRD, but it's in the dead-tree book.

6. - Top - End - #6
    Ogre in the Playground

Planetar

Quote Originally Posted by Chronos View Post
    The kitten is getting a cover bonus from the fighter it's fighting. If you miss a creature that has cover, there's a chance that you hit the cover instead. I'm not finding it in the online SRD, but it's in the dead-tree book.
    And make sense too.

Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

7. - Top - End - #7
    Ogre in the Playground

^: Now that's scary.

Seriously? Hilarious.
    I want that that happen to my group now.
    Idiots give me indigestion.
    Don't give me indigestion.

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Wadledo, you dislike EVERYONE. Therefore, you don't count.
    Quote Originally Posted by Draken View Post
    Maybe this is the only true fix for spellcasting, making people scared of using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by dragonprime View Post
    There's a concept called mercy. Are you familiar with it?
    Thank ya Dr.Bath for your avataring skills.

8. - Top - End - #8
    Ettin in the Playground

This is so awesome. This will be my BBEG's pet from now on.

"Easy, Fluffy. Don't tear the good paladin's eyes out."

Eberron Red Hand of Doom Campaign Journal. NOW COMPLETE!
    Sakuya Izayoi avatar by Mr. Saturn. Caella sig by Neoseph.

"I dunno, you just gave me the image of a nerd flying slow motion over a coffee table towards another nerd, dual wielding massive books. It was awesome." -- Marriclay

9. - Top - End - #9
    Ogre in the Playground

AssassinGuy

Happened to a beholder with my group. Ruled that the bunny it got baleful polymorphed into could still use two eye rays a round. That's still a bunny that can insta-kill/turn you to stone.

10. - Top - End - #10

PirateGuy

"There it is!"

"What, behind the rabbit?"

Thanks, I remember the "hitting cover" thing but didn't think to apply it here. Comedy gold.
    My Red Hand of Doom campaign journal: Part I, Part II
    Love the Third Amendment?

11. - Top - End - #11

Anyone else think its somewhat ridiculous that they keep their templates when you change them?
    The Cranky Gamer
    Nexx's Hello
    *It isn't realism, it's verisimilitude; the appearance of truth within the framework of the game.
    *"I" is an English pronoun in the nominative case of first person singular. It does not indicate the actions or writings of anyone but the first person, singular.
    *Tataurus, you have three halves as well as a race that doesn't breed. -UglyPanda
    *LVDO ERGO SVM

12. - Top - End - #12
    Orc in the Playground

NecromancerGuy

Quote Originally Posted by MrNexx View Post
    Anyone else think its somewhat ridiculous that they keep their templates when you change them?
    of course not...as long as it makes the game entertaining, and amusing for everyone else reading it later on the GitP forums, then who cares?
    "'Lo, there do I see my father. 'Lo, there do I see my mother, and my sisters, and my brothers. 'Lo, there do I see the line of my people back to the beginning. 'Lo, they do call to me. They bid me take my place among them. In the halls of Valhalla where the brave may live forever."

-The 13th Warrior