New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 13 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3456789101112131415161718192021222338 ... LastLast
  1. - Top - End - #361
    Firbolg in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIV

They don't follow Sekhmet. They were never here for her in the first place.
    Just remain hidden in the corners, sipping a glass of water, waiting for anyone to arrive who seems worth approaching.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

2. - Top - End - #362
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

Chidi takes the note, reads it and then pockets it. "I'll be there, unfailingly. NERD, eh? Considering I'm a nerd myself, that name interests me greatly. Tell me, what is the organization about?" He asks, and then listens to her reply with great interest and excitement. "And are they accepting new members? MERC members, for instance?" He hasn't been here long enough to learn the concept of deadtiming.
    Purple Eagle's character list
    Love is the message.

3. - Top - End - #363
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

Jade frowns. "We're a superhero team, but we aren't really accepting new members right now. We've had some organizational difficulties which have prevented us from doing anything as a group."
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

4. - Top - End - #364
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

Chidi frowns a bit in disappointment. "That's too bad. I'd have liked to join in. Anything to help me help people at a larger scale, that's why I became a soldier after all."

He pauses to think for a moment. "Have you considered getting a MERC license in the interim, if you don't fancy being a member? You get jobs you can choose, so if you don't want to visit AMEN at all, or only want Inside-focused jobs, you can choose accordingly. Also, you get a discount in this tavern."

Speaking of discounts! "Can I get you anything to eat or drink?"
    Love is the message.

5. - Top - End - #365
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"Not really. I'm not interested in being a mercenary, honestly," Jade explains. She thinks about the offer of food for a minute. "No thanks, I'm good."

My Nexus characters

6. - Top - End - #366
    Pixie in the Playground

[Jade and Chidi]

"You almost make it sound like a bad thing, but suit yourself. So, Jade, tell me about yourself, let's exchange life stories." Chidi says, changing the subject. In case she wants to protest, he quickly adds more. "I know you're a transformed guy, I'm not hitting on you. I'd just like to know more about who I'm gonna be patrolling with."
    Love is the message.

7. - Top - End - #367
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

Jade appreciates that Chidi isn't hitting on her any more. That's one of the worst parts of being transformed.
    "Well, I come from a world where superheroes, as you would call them, are pretty common. I invented an improved method of hard light projection, and as was fairly typical, I used it to fight crime. There was some disaster involving the universe getting shattered, I don't really understand it, but it sent me here."

My Nexus characters

8. - Top - End - #368
    Pixie in the Playground

[Jade and Chidi]

Jade might notice that Chidi is also treating her less like a potential mate and more like a potential male friend. One that happens to be curvy and feminine. Which is kind of easy, as long as he keeps in mind he's talking to a transformed guy, beautiful appearance aside. Very beautiful... focus, Chidi!

"Though I come from a world with high technology level, I recognize super-science when I see it. That could be classified as a super-power, you know. That's too bad about your world, however. My sympathies." He says, resting his hand on her back for a few seconds. Yep, he's a touchy-feely person to everyone.

"I wouldn't call them superheroes, personally, more like 'costumed crimefighters'. Like I said, everyone has a Special Talent where I'm from. Our police, military people like I and licensed security are the heroes who use their powers to keep the people safe, and the villains are either rogue operatives or those without a license who use their powers for evil or personal gain. One manifests a weak ability at 10, which has to be honed - should the user choose - to improve its strength and utility." Right, he should talk more about himself and return the favour. "I'm an active member of my country's military, sent here to track certain unstable elements from my world who made it here, and of course to survey the area while I'm at it. I'm able to return if I want, thanks to the efforts of Mirai, the guy who also got transformed that I spoke of. I joined MERC because I can use my training for good and for pay, while I'm here."

"I can't wait to see your t
    Love is the message.

9. - Top - End - #369
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"Oh, it's not destroyed," Jade quickly explains, "Time and space got messed up though. People and places were showing up in the wrong time periods, and things from other realities were slipping into each other. I just fell through the cracks and wound up here." She's more interested in something Chidi says. "Everyone has powers? How does that work? Where do they come from?"

My Nexus characters

10. - Top - End - #370
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"Ah, I see..." Chidi nods, understanding finally. "That would be chaotic, though. A bigger change for your world than the one in mine, that is the fact that we can access this world under the right conditions, though that isn't common knowledge yet."

Ah, that's a reaction he's had from a few NPCs already. "We're born with them, The Architect of our universe saw fit to bestow us with them. It comes from the spirit, and the connection to The Architect that is within all His creations. For instance, I manifested the base ability to manipulate sound, but I had to go to an Academy to improve upon it. Not everyone chooses to do so, and those who don't use their Talents for mundane applications. If I hadn't become a soldier, my powers would be just as useful in a nightclub." He points to his eyes. "Notice my sclera is light hot pink and my eyes are dark hot pink. It's just as surprising to me that not everyone has powers, that most people are stuck with white sclera and a small selection of eye colours, or that there are people with different natural hair colours. So, I understand your surprise."
    Love is the message.

11. - Top - End - #371
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

In comparison, Jade has brown eyes. Large, lovely dark brown thoughtful eyes ringed by beautiful long lashes... But Chidi probably shouldn't think of such things.
    Jade actually smiles a little at his description. "That actually sounds nice. I'm sure you can get a lot of benefit out of all the different powers out there."

My Nexus characters

12. - Top - End - #372
    Pixie in the Playground

[Jade and Chidi]

"Yes, exactly." Chidi says, having to turn away and take a little sip out of his beer. All this talk of eyes draws his attention to Jade's very pretty eyes, and his desire to avoid discomforting Jade is greater than his desire to get lost in those eyes. "Ahem. So, what do you use your hard-light for? I mean, both superheroics and mundane uses? And do you have a superhero name, like Dr. Light, maybe?"
    Love is the message.

13. - Top - End - #373
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"I project shields, barriers, energy beams, those sorts of things." It's really quite versatile. When asked about her hero name, Jade shrugs. "Yeah, but I change it every time I create a new suit of armor. I'm still deciding what my latest version should be called. My last one before it was Hoplite."

My Nexus characters

14. - Top - End - #374
    Pixie in the Playground

[Jade and Chidi]

"Cool! Just like me, but with light instead of sound. I can't wait to see you in action, I'm sure it'll be quite badass." Chidi says, nodding in approval and anticipation.

A new hero name, eh? Chidi can help. Hoplite sounds good, but a new version needs a name that would outdo 'Hoplite'. "Hmm... how about Iris? Solar? Faestar?" He says, throwing random ideas out there. "Or Hoplite Mk 2?"
    Love is the message.

15. - Top - End - #375
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"I'm not sure. I'll have to think about it." Although Jade thinks Chidi is going in the right direction with "Iris." "Do you have one, or is that not normal for your world?"

My Nexus characters

16. - Top - End - #376
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

What a coincidence, for Chidi prefers that too. "I think Iris is cool, personally, and it suits you. The other suggestions are there for variety of choice. As for me... well we do have callsigns that tend to match our powers. I've always liked the word 'sonic', so you can call me that. Sonic! I lack a costume, however, though with your technological skills, I'm sure you could make one for me."

Also, in case she wants one, he offers. "I'm a weapons expert, I could make or fine-tune some for you, if you wanted."
    Love is the message.

17. - Top - End - #377
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

Jade wastes no time before answering. "I don't use weapons. I don't want to risk killing or injuring any bystanders." There's a hint of something deeper in her tone, something better left undiscussed.

My Nexus characters

18. - Top - End - #378
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"That is exactly why my expertise would come in handy. Your energy beam is a weapon, as is a tranquilizer rifle. Not all weapons are lethal, and an expert like me will ensure that a non-lethal weapon doesn't become lethal due to shoddy craftsmanship." Chidi knows that tone, since there are people who object to lethal force everywhere, whether or not they're in law enforcement. He figures she has a mistake in her past that led to the very thing she's trying not to risk, assuming her distaste for lethal force doesn't go beyond possible harm to bystanders.

That tone tells him not to pry any further, though, so he resists the urge to inquire as to what that 'something deeper' might be. "I prefer non-lethal weapons myself, you know? Best for stealth. Put your enemies to sleep rather than killing them. Like Solid Snake."
    Love is the message.

19. - Top - End - #379
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

Some secret hidden shames are meant to stay secret. "Thanks, but I trust my designs. If something breaks, maybe I'll let you take a look." She doesn't seem to think that's likely. She laughs when he mentions Metal Gear. "That certainly is one advantage."

My Nexus characters

20. - Top - End - #380
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"Will a hug make you feel better?" Chidi offers, and only to make her feel better. Hugs are good! "Ah, so almost never then." He says, only a little disappointed. A super-scientist hardly ever breaks stuff, and even if they do, hardly ever resorts to outside help.

"Ah, so you know of Metal Gear. In that case I suppose I can tell you that I'm quite similar to Solid Snake, in what I do. Only, I'm not a fictional character, no eyepatch and I have special powers." He pauses and looks around the bar, then back at Jade. "Uhh... well, fictional outside the Nexus? I wouldn't be too surprised if one of them walked in the door, at this point."
    Love is the message.

21. - Top - End - #381
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"No thank you." A hug would most certainly not help Jade feel better. In all likelihood, it would just serve to remind her of the uncomfortable, unfamiliar things about her body. "I know what you mean. Most of the important heroes from my world are unheard of here, but I met one person once who recognized them as characters in a card game, of all things."

My Nexus characters

22. - Top - End - #382
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"Ah, right. Sorry." Chidi says, dropping the arms he'd begun to outstretch for a hug, getting the point. Still, it's quite remarkable how quickly he's gotten used to the fact that there's a rather friendly man behind that curvy visage. "Ah, a card game? I'm not much for card games, but on the off chance that I recognize anyone... mention a hero from your world."

Hmm, fictional characters from a card game. A disturbing thought hits Chidi. "What are the chances that we'd turn out to be fictional characters of some sort? That sounds meta, and disturbingly so."
    Love is the message.

23. - Top - End - #383
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

Jade starts with the biggest name. "Legacy." She doesn't expect a positive response. "I hope we're not fictional. That would mean some author is getting a kick out everything that happened to me.."

My Nexus characters

24. - Top - End - #384
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"Doesn't ring a bell." Chidi immediately answers. "Ah, me too. I-" He begins when she starts the first part of her next sentence, and trails off to let her finish. Uh-oh, quick, distraction!

"So, video games! What's your favourite video game?" He quickly changes the subject, lest Jade's mood starts to drop once more.
    Love is the message.

25. - Top - End - #385
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"I don't play them much. My real life is exciting enough as it is." Being a superhero sort of makes videogames pale by comparison. And she's been a bit too distracted to bother recently.

My Nexus characters

26. - Top - End - #386
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"I can totally understand that, Jade. It's why I prefer perusing comics in my free time... when I spend it consuming media, that is. I like the stealth games, because it's like my real life without the stress, or permanent consequences of being spotted." Chidi explains. "Superhero-themed media could fulfill the same purpose for you. A simulation of the real thing, of sorts." A suggestion.

"Y'know, I'd love to see you in action. We should leave soon. Spending time with you, here, I get the feeling you're an awesome superhero. Super-science inventions, risking your life every night to keep people safe and a strong desire to avoid civilian casualties at any cost. Might I just say, I like your moxie?" He says, still trying to make her feel better. "I tend to have high opinions of those who get out there and do what needs doing, who'd do the right thing even though most wouldn't. I bet I'd see more of it whilst on patrol."
    Love is the message.

27. - Top - End - #387
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"I hope you're right." Jade's worried that her discomfort and her new body will make her less effective than she should be. "See you tonight, then?" She's looking forward to it. Chidi is a nice guy, very respectful, but also friendly.

My Nexus characters

28. - Top - End - #388
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

"Hmm..." She hopes so? That statement and the way it's said clues Chidi in to one fact, one which has been in his subconscious but is brought forward to his conscious mind. Jade's a woman now, and it's understandable that she'd think that it'd get in the way of superheroics. To be fair, he'd probably react the same way if he were in her shoes... at first.

"I wouldn't miss it for the world, J. However, I have something to say, perhaps something I should have said earlier, had it occurred to me." He says, breaking away from his thoughts and shifting to action. "That you're a woman now makes you no less of a superhero, Jade. I know the inner strength of a woman, my mother raised me all by herself as a poor teen mom, kicked out into the streets for refusing to give me up for adoption. She's my hero, and not just because she can manipulate paper. Despite the hard times, she did her best to give me a good life, and I owe all that I am now to her." He says, with a deep love and respect for the woman that gave him life. "I know I probably shouldn't be talking, the only idea I have of how you truly feel is how I'd feel were I in your shoes, and the story of my friend Mirai when he was a girl. He got depressed, became a drunk... but after learning to use the new body especially with her bust back then, was just as effective. He told me, at the end of it all, whilst he's glad to be a man again and doesn't want to repeat the experience, he learned to enjoy being a woman." Though in Mirai's case, he knew it'd be temporary. He doesn't point that out, as Jade thinks hers is likely permanent.

He pauses to scratch his moustache. "What I'm ultimately trying to say is, you can be as good of a hero despite your gender-swap. Whether or not you focus solely on regaining your manhood, enjoying your new womanhood or a mix of the two like my friend, you're still a heroic person with super-science skills and a good heart, and no one - NO ONE - can take that away from you. I'm glad I met you, and I forsee this to be the beginning of a new friendship."
    Love is the message.

29. - Top - End - #389
    Troll in the Playground

Jade and Chidi

Wow. That's... A lot. But it's clearly quite heartfelt. Jade isn't quite sure what to say. "Thanks. That means a lot to me." But it wasn't quite what she was concerned with. Still, it's very reassuring, even if she doesn't know what path she'll take yet. She's not especially comfortable with the idea of enjoying her womanhood, at least not yet.

My Nexus characters

30. - Top - End - #390
    Pixie in the Playground

Jade and Chidi => Srs Plots

Chidi gives her a genuine smile. "Anytime. If it helps, do it bit by bit, one thing at a time, y'know? Like today, showing you can save people despite all the new changes." He finally finishes all of his beer, and pats the pocket where the scrap of paper with the written address is. "I'll be there, rest assured."

Then he leaves to get prepared, suddenly realizing how much time had passed.

But then, time tends to fly when one's having fun.
    Love is the message.