New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 35 of 50 FirstFirst ... 10252627282930313233343536373839404142434445 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1021
    Ogre in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIV

Larza certainly wasn't expecting something so violent. Perhaps she should have, considering Ada's earlier threat. Although she's not in much of a position to defend herself, the goblin does manage to roll away at the last moment - crashing onto the floor of the tavern in the process. It hurt, but not as bad as that knife would have. "Eek! No nice mud body, hae ye lost yer damn mynd?!"

She reaches for a small dart at her skirt, attempting to toss it towards Ada. Its tip is slick with her poisonous spittle.

"A pox oan ye, oan yer mither, oan yer sister, oan yer faither!"
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-22 at 01:06 AM.

2. - Top - End - #1022
    Troll in the Playground

"I doubt it would have hurt you anyway." Ada says skeptically, tipping her chair back and crashing to the floor to avoid the dart. She scrambles to her feet and drops the knife on the floor. "I think this conversation is over, don't you?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

3. - Top - End - #1023
    Ogre in the Playground

Larza seems personally offended at the other woman's suggestion. "Trch, blithering eejit! O' coorse it wid hurt! Ye wur trying tae stick us wi' a knoif!" Did she simply assume goblins could not feel pain? That felt like prejudice! "Ah'ament dane wi' ye, come 'ere! Gonnae claw yer glaikit wee een oot!" She snarls before rushing forward, likely somewhat quicker than Ada can step out of the way, given her smaller stature.

She'll throw all of her weight into Ada, trying to knock her down while all the while clawing at her face. "Think ye kin trick me, kin ye? Ne'er again, says we!"

4. - Top - End - #1024
    Troll in the Playground

No, she was assuming creepy magic goblin's aren't harmed by normal weapons.
    Ada pulls a garden rake out of her pocket and tries to hold Larza off by pressing the head against her, to keep the goblin from advancing. "I don't want to. If I trick you again, it means I have to meet you again, and that's a disgusting prospect."

My Nexus characters

5. - Top - End - #1025
    Ogre in the Playground

The colorful goblin is clearly surprised! She was not expecting Ada to pull out a garden rake as tall as she was from the depths of her pocket. "Trch, ye think yer bagroen magic is aff tae stoap me? A'm aff tae chew oan yer tongue!" She begins to snap at the air, large teeth champing noisily. For now, she was held back! But Larza was clever, this was not her first brawl.

Rather than continue to flail her arms ineffectively at the woman, who remains just out of reach, she'll attempt to deliver a sharp kick to her stomach!

6. - Top - End - #1026
    Troll in the Playground

"Oof!" Ada stumbles backwards, loosing the pressure on the rake, but she recovers quickly. She swings the rake like a club at Larza, with the pointed metal tines as the striking surface. Looks like she's done holding the goblin at bay; now she's aiming to wound or maim.

My Nexus characters

7. - Top - End - #1027
    Ogre in the Playground

With an evil grin, the colorful goblin uses her smaller stature to her advantage. She ducks low, far beneath the rake, before stepping closer and slashing with both hands at Ada's belly. Her claws are impressive, especially up close, each nail slightly hooked at one end - the easier to scoop out guts with. "Ye wilnae git awa' that easy, girlie! Ah will dram yer blood, a toast tae th' Duke o' Limbs!"

She fights far more viciously than might be expected of her.

8. - Top - End - #1028
    Troll in the Playground

Larza's claws slash into Ada's belly, tearing her dress and drawing blood. "Hey! That was my favorite dress!" She swings the rake like an axe, downwards at Larza's head. "Just leave me alone you jerk!"

My Nexus characters

9. - Top - End - #1029
    Ogre in the Playground

A wide, mean little grin forms on Larza's face as soon as she feels her claws sink into her opponent! There was something primal in it, a certain satisfaction which only the tearing of flesh can provide. "How come dinnae ye gimme a taste, girlie? C'moan then!" Her long, blue tongue lolls out of her mouth. Whatever she meant by "gimme a taste" was clearly not good.

Before she can continue to rend at Ada, she's bashed in the face! Larza avoids the tip of the rake, but the handle still gets her! "Ow! Ye'll pay fur that, quickwise!"

10. - Top - End - #1030
    Troll in the Playground

"I think it's you who'll pay for hurting me." Ada snarls back, whacking at Larza again. "You had to be a big jerk. You wouldn't just give me the information I wanted and let me go. Now I'm beating the tar out of you. See how this works?"

My Nexus characters

11. - Top - End - #1031
    Ogre in the Playground

This time, Larza attempts to block the rake with her both hands up. It hurts quite a bit, but she keeps the sharp, pointy bits from slashing at her. "Ack, stoap it ah said! Nasterly wench, gimme back whit ye teuk!" She isn't quite certain what that even was, yet - but she knew she wanted it returned!

In an attempt to change the dynamics of the fight, she'll reach for the mug and toss it at Ada! Hot coffee and ceramic shards everywhere!

12. - Top - End - #1032
    Troll in the Playground

"Nah, I don't think so. You're a jerk. I'll hang on to it." Ada ducks under the coffee mug and retaliates by jabbing with the butt of the rake. She's surprisingly proficient in hand-to-rake combat.

My Nexus characters

13. - Top - End - #1033
    Ogre in the Playground

Who was this nasty mud person to be withholding what was rightfully hers? The gall of her! It made the gobkin's blood boil. She would not stand for such insult! "Nrgh, come 'ere ye nasterly wench! Ye aren't goin awa 'til ah git whit's rightsome fur me!" She's going to complain further, but then she's whacked!

Oh, that really hurt her shoulder! Time to finish this. She draws a knife with her less injured hand and spits on it!

Then, she'll attempt to puncture Ada!

14. - Top - End - #1034
    Troll in the Playground

"Nope! Mine now!" Ada snickers. "Unless you'd like to buy it back." She jumps back away from the knife. "Hey, watch it! I don't want to die again!"

My Nexus characters

15. - Top - End - #1035
    Ogre in the Playground

Buying back! Ha, she would never!

That's the oldest fae trick in the book, one she'd successfully pulled off numerous times.

With a sneer, she'll scamper onwards, keeping herself low to the ground as she slashes at Ada. She's quite good with her little knife. "Haw, amurnay aff tae murdurr ye, girlie!" That bit was true! This was not an attempt on Ada's life, she was just hoping for a scrape.

Then, her poisonous spittle would take effect! Just potent enough to cause the other woman to fall into a deep sleep.

16. - Top - End - #1036
    Troll in the Playground

"You seem to be doing a good job of not mur... Ouch!" Ada is sliced on the ankle. "What did you... Do to... Me... Zzzzz." She slumps to the floor and begins softly snoring.

My Nexus characters

17. - Top - End - #1037
    Ogre in the Playground

Excellent! She had done it, at long last!

With a particularly evil expression upon her face, Larz will wipe the knife upon Ada's clothing.

Then, she'll rifle through her pockets, taking everything she finds (including her stolen gemstones). Once this business is done and over with, she'll start to drag Ada outside. She had plans for this one, very important plans indeed!

18. - Top - End - #1038
    Titan in the Playground

A beautiful young woman with long, fiery-red hair cautiously enters the tavern. She wears a pale pink robe, some dainty sandals, and among some of her possessions, a bow and quiver of arrows is slung on her back. Actually, she looks quite young. Perhaps in her early teens? And she looks very lost and confused. After about a minute of peering around, she apparently decides that whatever it is she is looking for isn't here, and she turns about and leaves.

Three minutes later, the same girl arrives again, this time looking even more confused. She leaves once again, only to arrive about five minutes later. Now, looking less confused and more frustrated and defeated, she sighs softly and glumly makes her way to a small table. Wearily, she sits down, setting an elbow on the table and resting her head upon her hand for a moment. Then, as if remembering something, she looks up, her emerald-green, cat-like eyes scanning around the room cautiously.

19. - Top - End - #1039
    Barbarian in the Playground

Ah, looking around the tavern. An age old pastime.

A rustic, Casablanca style typified Trog's with abundant tables, potted plants, and pointed arches. Several screens provide booths with privacy. Near the roaring fireplace is a... cat tree? The thing is huge. Big enough for a tiger to climb around on it. That probably has a story behind it. There's an old fashioned bubbler jukebox that looks a bit out of place considering the rest of the decore, but no one seems to be complaining. The stage for live music boasts a small piano, but no one is manning it at the moment. And of course the bar is staffed by the completely normal generic fantasy human barmaid.

The clientele of the tavern is fantastically diverse. With particular emphasis on fantastic.

There's a headless fellow sitting over there with riding leathers, a lit jack-o-lanturn on the table next to him.

A group of Diskworld dwarves have gotten into the mood for drinking songs which mostly consists of the word 'gold' said over and over again off tune.

A humanoid shark in pirate garb is playing poker with a group of dogs.

An adventuring party consisting of a hobbit rogue, an elf priest, a human warrior, and a human wizard with his bunny familiar have just returned from a dungeon delve and are engaged in some kind of drinking game.

A mint colored equestrian just hopped up on the stage, a lute floating in the unicorn's sunny yellow magical aura, as she begins stomping a hoof on the floor whilst singing a bawdy tavern tune.

Several trolls are playing darts, though they don't seem to grasp that you're supposed to throw the darts at the board rather than each other.

And many others besides! It's a pretty happening place!

The newcomer will soon find herself approached by the absolutely unremarkable human barmaid.

"Hey, you seem a little lost," she says, a kind smile on her face. "Is there anything I can help you with?"
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

20. - Top - End - #1040
    Titan in the Playground

It took a while for this young woman to realize just how diverse this place was. Her cursory glance around the room when she first entered did not catch all the fantastical things happening here. Her eyes wandered from attraction to attraction, sometimes widening with each new crazy sight.

The trolls were particularly worrisome. She had her eyes on them presently, in case it looked like a stray dart would come her way, though it appeared they were far enough away and throwing in the wrong directions to hit her anyway. All while a bunch of stocky men with big bulbous noses and big beards chanted the word 'gold' repeatedly and a mint-colored unicorn began singing on the stage.

It was all so much to take in that the young woman did not notice the perfectly ordinary barmaid approaching her. She jumped, or rather twitched, when the barmaid addressed her, quickly focusing her attention on the barmaid's face. The young woman opens her mouth slightly as if to speak, but no sound comes out. Finally she croaks, "Uh..." but only manages a few quick nods for the moment.

After composing herself she says, "I.. um.. don't need help, though I do wonder where I am..." She refrained from adding other thoughts to that sentence like, 'or how I will get home,' and 'or where I can safely rest.'

This was a bad position to be in, indeed. Completely lost, so many strange things and people everywhere. If she was not careful, she could be trapped here forever.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-08-28 at 02:49 PM. Reason: speech color!

21. - Top - End - #1041
    Ogre in the Playground

There's a woman at the bar, head lowered to stare into a tall glass of gin.

She's wrapped tightly within a form fitting, navy blue reefer coat. A wide brimmed hat rests at an angle atop her head.

Her large hands are concealed beneath a layer of black leather, and stockings race up her muscular legs before vanishing beneath her coat. It's clear that she'd been smoking, for several cigarette butts rest within an ashtray to her right. Her skin is dark, the shade of the earth itself. Her chestnut hair is shoulder length and traditionally cut. Although likely only in her late thirties, she's graying slightly.

This is one of several locations she often heads to in order to relax. It was quiet here, and the city spoke to her within these walls.

The woman stays quiet, at least until she notices the same confused teenager wandering in and out of the tavern.

She reminded her of Magdalene, trch. A brow is raised. Without looking over, she speaks.

Her void is gentle and kind. "You're far from home, dear." They always were.

Finally, she looks up. Her eyes are bright.

"Have a seat."

--

Spoiler: Art
    Show
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-28 at 05:00 PM.

22. - Top - End - #1042
    Titan in the Playground

The young woman looked over when the other in navy blue spoke. Something about her voice was calming.. someone maybe she could trust? Her small table was not far away from the bar, in any case.

She was already seated, but yes.. of course, the other woman likely meant for her to have a seat closer, at the bar with her. She got up slowly and gingerly took a few steps over, carefully examining the bar stool before deeming it safe to sit upon.

The young woman politely nodded to the barmaid, at least as if saying she wasn't ignoring her or had moved on, but for now gave her attention to the woman in navy blue. "I gathered as much.." she said softly. "I fear something terribly wrong has happened, and I might never return..."

23. - Top - End - #1043
    Ogre in the Playground

Billie, the woman at the bar, smiles warmly towards the teenager as she approaches.

Hers is a small smile, one which doesn't ever fully match the distant look in her eyes. It's like staring into dusted glass.

With narrowed eyes, Billie takes another shot of gin. This poor girl, lost and confused, with no way back. This wasn't the first time she'd introduced someone to the Nexus, but it was certainly one of the saddest. This girl was so young, and she'd likely never see her family again - or anyone she ever knew, for that matter. Billie will order a mug of hot cocoa before instructing that it be passed on to the teenager. This was a conversation best had over something sweet.

She faces the teenager with a concerned expression upon her face. She'll reach out to wrap a hand around her shoulder. "Something has happened, yes -"

"- but it's going to be alright, okay?"
    There'd be plenty of time to explain exactly what happened, but for now?

Building familiarity of some sort was important.

"What's your name, dear?"
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-28 at 06:39 PM.

24. - Top - End - #1044
    Titan in the Playground

Oh, right, names... the teenager had all but forgotten about such formalities and polite introductions. Such was her state of mental duress and confusion. It may do well to more promptly introduce herself in later interactions with others.. or perhaps not. Sometimes someone even knowing a nickname you frequently go by was bad enough.

"You may call me Solstice," she said, again nodding politely to the woman in navy blue.

The teenager, Solstice, shifted a bit uncomfortably as the other laid a hand on her. Physical contact, especially with a stranger, was not something she was used to. It had been a while since even her mother had last embraced her in a hug...

As she appeared, she also felt the same way by touch: small, slight, fragile. Lifting a hand opposite the shoulder, Solstice carefully moves to extricate herself. "Please. That is.. unnecessary. And what might I call you?"

A mug of hot cocoa was placed in front of Solstice, but she just sort of stared at it. Perhaps she looked like maybe she wanted to try it, but she didn't move to touch it.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-08-28 at 07:21 PM.

25. - Top - End - #1045
    Ogre in the Playground

A name was a good start. Solstice seemed relatively stable, which would make this next part easier.

Then again, she seemed uncomfortable with physical contact, which could be taken as a sign in and of itself. What had this poor girl been through?

Billie looks over the teenager to her left, her steely gray eyes taking in various details. She couldn't help but scan for information, it was second nature to her. The teenager's equipment marked her as an adventurer of some sort. Her bow and blade were of good quality, but clearly several decades behind current technology. The wand spoke of her nature as a spellcaster, supported by the fact that her hands were quite delicate, unblemished by a life of labor.

Her strange eyes were suggestive of some inherent magic, perhaps marking her as one of many fae subraces. It would be impossible to determine more with regards to her race, there was too much in the way of variety.

Potential conclusions begin to arrange themselves within Billie's head. In the meantime, she nods in response to Solstice's statement, gently retracting her hand.

Billie reaches into her coat pocket before retrieving a small, silver badge. She sets it on the table before her. "Billie Bansford."

She'll continue after a second or so. "Officer Bansford, sometimes. I'm with Intersection." She's proud of this.

"We keep the city safe. As safe as can be." It was rarely as rewarding as it sounds.

Billie asks a question.

"What's the last thing you remember?"
    Last edited by Hattish Thing; 2020-08-28 at 10:58 PM.

26. - Top - End - #1046
    Titan in the Playground

Solstice nods and repeats, "Billie Bansford. It is a pleasure to meet you." She peers down at the silvery badge, trying to note its appearance in her mind, though much of the symbolism and other letters and digits elude meaning for her. After a bit she continues, "I am afraid I do not know what this 'Intersection' is..."

Meanwhile, the hot cocoa put in front of her continues to emit steam and an alluring scent, yet she still did not touch it.

Then, when Billie asks her question, Solstice peers back with some confusion on her face. She asks, "The last thing I remember since when?"

27. - Top - End - #1047
    Ogre in the Playground

Billie just nods in response. The girl was polite, at least - they usually weren't.

There were several occasions in the last few months that Billie had been forced to restrain someone new to the city.

After Solstice has had time to look over the badge, Billie will reach for it and carefully slide it into her pocket once again. She takes on a gentle tone as she explains herself further, "We're the police. The closest thing to it, at least." The orcish detective exhales before taking another sip of her drink. It burned on the way down, but in a way that left her feeling satisfied.

Billie raises a brow at the teenager's confusion. "Since you arrived, dear."

"You're in the Nexus."

28. - Top - End - #1048
    Titan in the Playground

Solstice continued to look appraisingly at Billie. She hadn't seen many people like that. The pointed ears, the tusks, the brutish visage. Though in this case, the female orc next to her hardly seemed like a brute at all, and her face certainly wasn't as harsh. Her dress was more.. urban. Perhaps her garb was like a few people she had seen in the "real world". Then again, all these musings may as well have been moot. Almost everything in this new place was bizarre. She nodded at Billie's explanation. She vaguely had an idea of police: law enforcement. They kept peace and order, they caught and punished criminals, they upheld the whims of their ruler.

Billie clarified her question, to which Solstice blinked and nodded again, saying, "Oh.. of course..." Being Fae, exact wordings and their meanings meant a lot. Solstice could have just answered the question, as 'I last remember you asking this question,' or 'I last remember sitting in this chair,' and it would have not only been accurate, but one of few truthful, yet worthless responses. At least she intuited that was not what Billie meant.

But now there was something else to parse: arrived where? A place called the Nexus was mentioned. This must have been when all the craziness began.

"Well, I was traversing the Way Between Ways.. The environment seemed to be getting awfully weak and unstable..." Solstice leaned an elbow on the bar and rested her head as her other hand silently drummed its fingers on the bar. She was in some thought, reminiscing again. "I suppose that something gave way. And then I began falling. But.. there was nothing beneath me..."

She looked down silently, now with some apprehension. "It seemed I fell for quite a long time. I could not even tell I was falling anymore, and I could not see anything. And then finally, there was a light..." Her brows furrowed, trying to make sense of it all. "I think whatever that was, I somehow approached it, maybe entered it. And then I was here.. in the Nexus, I presume."
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-08-28 at 11:56 PM.

29. - Top - End - #1049
    Bugbear in the Playground

Obsidian,
    a teenage dragon human-looking girl returns to the tavern. Black hair, purple (with gold flecks!) eyes, and most importantly, a (black) scale coat wrapped around her waist like it's a hoodie.

She's carrying a basket of apples. The basket is heavier than you'd expect, but...maybe they're just heavy apples? Obsidian looks pretty pleased for herself, like she's got a secret joke that only she knows about. And, no! No matter what, you won't get it out of her.

She goes up to the bar, sets the basket on the bar itself, and then hops up onto a stool. She spins back and forth, waiting for a waitress. Or whatever, whoever is taking orders at the moment.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

30. - Top - End - #1050
    Ogre in the Playground

Sounds like she had been utilizing teleportation magic of some sort.

This was a fairly typical story, accidents happened all the time - this place would catch them like flies.

Billie wasn't particularly knowledgeable when it came to the nature of various magical properties, as such she doesn't make much in the way of commentary on it. Really, it didn't matter how it happened. This was the way things were now, and were going to be. It would very likely be a permanent change. This was the hardest part to tell others. Was there a sensitive way to explain to someone that everyone they ever knew was gone, forever?

A thoughtful expression forms upon her scarred face, then she looks forward. With an exhalation, she speaks, "You've got it."

"A city at the center of the universe."
    Saying the words out loud almost made her feel sad. A city of lost things -

- never to be found. She frowns, "I'm sorry. This is never easy."

"Just know you're not alone."