New OOTS products from CafePress
New OOTS t-shirts, ornaments, mugs, bags, and more
Page 45 of 50 FirstFirst ... 2035363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast
Results 1,321 to 1,350 of 1478
  1. - Top - End - #1321
    Troll in the Playground

Default Re: Trog's Tavern CLIV

Blue looks confused. "How could many places be one place? This must be another secret on the path to ascension. I will ponder your words." She sits down on a stool and appears to be thinking. "What is the purpose of this place?"
    Awesome avatar (Kothar, paladin of Tlacua) by Linkele!

Quote Originally Posted by William Shakespeare, King Lear, IV.i.46
    'Tis the time's plague, when madmen lead the blind.
    My Nexus characters

2. - Top - End - #1322
    Bugbear in the Playground

Pfft.

He's just a paladin*.
    Not a hero.
    Totally different things.

But, yes, it is nice to have someone rooting for you for once.

Zophiel leaves the tavern, going to the plum mountain.
    Favorite sports:
    Fencing
    Football (Soccer)
    Figure Skating
    (and basically everything else that starts with 'f')
    ALSO! Come roleplay FFRPG in the Nexus!
    Nexus Characters.

3. - Top - End - #1323
    Orc in the Playground

"So a very big tower. What's it like out there?" She has no intention of going and looking, not yet anyway. She knows how this space works, and doesn't want to have to go learn new physical laws or whatever. "Can I have a cheese sandwich?" Since Zee's the barmaid, making an order is totally a question she can ask.
    Terrowin Avatar by HappyTurtle. Much thanks!

4. - Top - End - #1324
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Deathkeeper View Post
    Gara bangs her staff on the floor again. Her tail scrapes against the back of the chair, sending little pink bubbles floating across the room.
    "Miss Zee! There's spooky things going on. Do you sell bubble tea?" she calls as if this is an entirely normal conversation.
    "I did my mourning! Years of it. And I got better, because that's how mortals do things. You have to cry. Not doing it is suppressing yourself. But eventually you get better. It doesn't take away the hurt, but you manage. You just want people to wallow in sadness forever. And that's no good. It's not healthy at all." she shakes her head.
    Accepting defeat and cursing what ever god gave this creature ‘hope’ the young man sighs and resigns himself from the pursuit. It’s hard to tell amongst his already low demeanour but disappointment seems to be added to the flurry of other negative emotions encircling him. ”Fine.” he says with a smile so fake it almost appears as an insult. “Have it your way.” his eyes fall to the floor and his hair once again cascades down in front of his face. His pull and lure over her emotions quickly fades.
    ”I wasn’t going to hurt you.” he mutters softly under his breath, more likely in attempts to convince himself rather than the girl.

With that out the way utter awkwardness ensues. He stands across from her, not too far now after his many steps, facing towards her, still and silent, staring at the floor, lost in some sort of deep contemplation.

”I had to try.”
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2020-11-04 at 09:20 PM.

5. - Top - End - #1325

Spoiler
    Show
    Quote Originally Posted by Recaiden View Post
    Well, if they're going to ignore a politely written question and keep yelling, that's no good.

If fact, the note writer is quite upset by it.
    So the invisible monster tries to step up behind the man screaming about doom and wrap a tentacle around him!
    "Talk. Quietly." hisses a voice, though most of the creature remains undetectable. There's just a tentacle grabbing at him threateningly and a strong supernatural suggestion not to look at or think about the rest of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    "Neat!" Zee replies cheerfully to the doom prophet. "We usually do pretty good with unspeakable dooms. It's been a while since we've had a proper one."

It doesn't sound like she's terribly concerned? Though she is concerned about the grabbing. "Sir please be careful with the other guests, even if they're smelly and crazy and loud."

Then a smile is offered to Zoph. "Do what you think is right. I know you're a hero; you'll do the right thing."

Very nice to have someone rooting for him, right?

"Bye Jade!" Zee calls after her friend as she departs, then nods to the wasp. "I don't know what part of the universe the Nexus would be in from your perspective. It isn't really a place exactly. It's somewhere that lots of places overlap. Like imagine a WHOLE BUNCH of universes and they've each got one little corner that occupies the same place as all the other little corners. That's where we are."

And finally?

Zee considers Mishnehel's questions.

"Hmm... Well the bottom tier of the tower is just one floor. The second tier is one hundred floors. The third tier is ten thousand floors. I've made it up to six hundred something I think? There are two more tiers above that for sure. Then the four Living Ideals. And then... maybe something else? I dunno! Maybe there's a top to the Tower and maybe there isn't. It gets argued about a whole bunch."

It gets argued about a TON.

"The Eternal Game looks really different from the outside," Zee confides. "I used to be like you. No way could I ever believe something like that! But once I was outside the Game for the first time I could see where they were coming from. I still think they're wrong. But I see where they're coming from."

"I don't know what you faced, but what is coming will..." he start as a tentacle out of nowhere grabs him. To his defence he missed the paper sicne his main focus was on the people. He didn't even think this could be addressed to him. But as he realizes he is grabed and hears a whisper , which he assumes is in his mind, he starts yelling even louder. "AHHH, THEIR SERVANTS ARE HERE TO STOP ME." he shouts. he tries to get loose of the grab and if that doesn't work he tries to bite the tentakle. Either way he goes on. "HELP me! It's all true! They are HERE!!! HELP ME!!!"
    Grammer is my declared deadly enemy!

Let's PLay's in German Take a Look at Bravely Default.

Nexus Characters: LINK

6. - Top - End - #1326
    Ogre in the Playground

"I mean, you probably didn't but that's okay. It's all good." Forgiveness is another thing that's very important!
    But man, this is kind of awkward.
    "So uh. You got a name or anything?" asks the dragon. Hopefully this question is easier than the last one.
    Spako Highclaws by Ceika.

[Sorry Boss, but as always, I get the last word.]

7. - Top - End - #1327
    Ogre in the Playground

"I mean, you probably didn't but that's okay. It's all good." Forgiveness is another thing that's very important!
    But man, this is kind of awkward.
    "So uh. You got a name or anything?" asks the dragon. Hopefully this question is easier than the last one.
    It was hard to tell if he was listening, since he never looked up. Those hellish eyes remained fixed on the floor as he sheepishly fidgeted where he stood.
    ”A name? Uh, of course I do.“

His awkwardness intensifies.

His head turns towards the loud wailing of a man screaming of doom and requesting some sort of aid.

”That’s is not my doing.“ he states softly.
    ”Do you suppose there is any merit to it?“ he asks sounding ever so slightly hopeful.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2020-11-05 at 07:42 PM.

8. - Top - End - #1328
    Barbarian in the Playground

Gara has a cherry bubble tea passed off to her.

It's pink and fruity!

Very tasty.

Then there's lots of yelling and tentacle groping.

This situation is very silly!

"Super big tower," Zee confirms to Mishnehel. "I mean, it has to fit things as big as me in it so it's gotta be pretty big by default."

It's sort of like an inverted pyramid, really.

Gets bigger the higher you go.

"Honestly I don't think I would even be able to describe it with words, if that makes any sense," Zee sighs as she starts working on a sandwich. "I can say it's like nowhere I've ever been before. What kind of cheese do you like? We've got-"

She glances at the fridge that leads to the paraelemental plane of cheese.

"-all of them."
    Warning! Random Encounter™ detected!
    The Eternal Game Nightmære Stuff
    It doesn't matter whether you win or lose, just how awesome you look doing it.

9. - Top - End - #1329
    Ogre in the Playground

Gara daintily sips the bubble tea through the straw as if she is a totally normal teenager and not a large fuzzy dragon. Ssssssip.
    "You could go help him and find out." she suggests to the sad man who does not seem to want to give away his name.
    Maybe if he goes to help he will learn the merits of COMPASSION and AIDING OTHERS.
    Probably not but she thinks that is what Civvy would approve of.

10. - Top - End - #1330
    Ogre in the Playground

He thinks about it for a moment.
    ”No, I think I’ll just watch.” he says flatly. Once again ending the conversation and creating an awkward pause in the distance between them. After a little shuffle he speaks up again.
    ”Besides,” he says curiously. ”His death would not sadden me, what cause do I have to interfere?”

Despite his monotone voice, there was a sincerity in his question.

11. - Top - End - #1331
    Firbolg in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    "I don't know what you faced, but what is coming will..." he start as a tentacle out of nowhere grabs him. To his defence he missed the paper sicne his main focus was on the people. He didn't even think this could be addressed to him. But as he realizes he is grabed and hears a whisper , which he assumes is in his mind, he starts yelling even louder. "AHHH, THEIR SERVANTS ARE HERE TO STOP ME." he shouts. he tries to get loose of the grab and if that doesn't work he tries to bite the tentakle. Either way he goes on. "HELP me! It's all true! They are HERE!!! HELP ME!!!"
    The monsters doesn't let go just from the mad prophet struggling around, but when he bites into the rubbery outer layer of the tentacle, it throws him away.
    Probably right towards Zee.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Quote Originally Posted by Raz_Fox View Post
    He takes normality and reason and turns them UP TO 11!
    Quote Originally Posted by Anarion View Post
    Recaiden, stop using your mastery of the English language to confuse the issue.
    Echidna by Serpentine

12. - Top - End - #1332
    Ogre in the Playground

"You could interfere because helping someone is the right thing to do you know." Gara says. That said she doesn't seem to be doing much herself at the moment.
    But then. Gara is a Totally Normal And Defenseless Teenager and definitely has nothing she can do to hostile tentacle monsters throwing people around.
    That and she's pretty sure Zee has got this.

13. - Top - End - #1333
    Orc in the Playground

"No, that does make sense. Like the feeling after I picked up that Icon, and I became... me." Mishnehel couldn't think of a way to describe that, not easily.

"Um, red leicester? I stole some once, and it was great." Red Leicester is good cheese. Not best cheese, but Mishnehel didn't understand why the rich house she was burglarising had mouldy cheese in the fridge; she didn't recognise Stilton.

14. - Top - End - #1334
    Ogre in the Playground

"You could interfere because helping someone is the right thing to do you know." Gara says. That said she doesn't seem to be doing much herself at the moment.
    But then. Gara is a Totally Normal And Defenseless Teenager and definitely has nothing she can do to hostile tentacle monsters throwing people around.
    That and she's pretty sure Zee has got this.
    ”assuming I accept the premise that their is a wrong and right way to act beyond that of my own self interest or preservation, why do I help the nuisance of a man and not the distressed creature?

Also... Why are you not helping?
    ” his intent interest in her answer causes him to lift his head and look at her. Once again his gaze brings with it emotional turmoil, although this time it’s not as strong. Gara appears to be growing resistance to it, unlike the sobbing man somewhere behind her.
    Last edited by Holy-hunter; 2020-11-06 at 09:41 PM.

15. - Top - End - #1335

The monsters doesn't let go just from the mad prophet struggling around, but when he bites into the rubbery outer layer of the tentacle, it throws him away.
    Probably right towards Zee.
    The man is flying around and properbly will get hurt when just hitting the bar or a table. He's not in a good shape after all. So unless he is caught or some kind of pillows appear to catch him the man will remain on the ground, bleeding and silent.

Should he get caught the man will be pale white and tries to get away from the tentacle, hiding behind other people if possibe.

16. - Top - End - #1336

Oh hey Zee had a crazy prophet thrown at her.

Man, today has been really strange.

The barmaid catches him, staggering back a few steps to arrest his momentum, then sets him down on his feet.

Tada!

Crisis averted.

"Sir, please stop yelling at the guests, it's upsetting the tentacle monsters," she admonishes him. "We've got your message and I can relay your warnings to the appropriate authorities but for now more shouting isn't going to help."

What are the chances that the crazy guy is actually going to respond rationally to this request?

Probably slim!

In other news, Mishnehel is provided with a cheese sandwich! It'll be pretty tasty.

"Yeah, mortal languages really aren't equipped to deal with this stuff. Like what do you call the fourth cardinal direction that you Drift in? I've been going with 'inward' and 'outward' since that's... geometrically accurate I guess? Have you figured out how to Drift yet? It's pretty neat and lets you bypass walls and things."

17. - Top - End - #1337
    Orc in the Playground

"...No, I haven't figured out drifting. Is there anything else I might not have figured out yet that are really obvious?" Which really should have been an earlier question, but Mishnehel didn't think of it. "You make very good sandwiches. Thank you."

18. - Top - End - #1338

"Are you SERIOUSE?" the man says and yes he obviously isn't going to lower his voice, but i mean he got good reasons. He furiouse gestures at the tentacle. "That tentacle monster was going to kill me. Don't you see how urgent my warning are? THEY TRY TO SHUT ME DOWN."

His view wanders over the people in the Tavern.

"You saw it, too?" he asks loud. "My warnings are true. Prepare yourself."

19. - Top - End - #1339

"Drifting is pretty easy. Check this out," Zee says before shrinking out of existence.

*VOOP!*

She's gone for a few seconds before popping back in sitting at Mishnehel's table.

"You just have to take a few steps sideways in time. Once you've done it once or twice it makes WAY more sense. And while you're doing it you get... well... not really a bird's eye view of everything since you aren't exactly above reality. But I guess that isn't the worst analogy."

Hmm...

Anything else obvious.

"Hmm... check your quest log. Don't forget to spend trait points when you get them. Maybe see about getting some celestial arms since they come in handy-" Zee says, drawing one of the tonfa from the holsters on her hips and spinning it around her finger. "Basically for now just kinda get use to how the new and improved you works. Then start busting faeries that are harassing mortals."

Oh hey the crazy guy is still shouting.

Zee heaves a sigh. "Sir. PLEASE stop yelling at my guests. We get it. Doom is coming ect ect. It happens all the time. We'll take care of it when it gets here."

20. - Top - End - #1340
    Ogre in the Playground

Quote Originally Posted by Holy-hunter View Post
    ”assuming I accept the premise that their is a wrong and right way to act beyond that of my own self interest or preservation, why do I help the nuisance of a man and not the distressed creature?

Also... Why are you not helping?
    ” his intent interest in her answer causes him to lift his head and look at her. Once again his gaze brings with it emotional turmoil, although this time it’s not as strong. Gara appears to be growing resistance to it, unlike the sobbing man somewhere behind her.
    Gara gestures at Zee's handling of the situation.
    "Because I knew Miss Zee would take care of it. She's really good at these sorts of things." And probably other reasons, but that's the one that makes the most sense up-front.

21. - Top - End - #1341
    Orc in the Playground

"I... um, think I see?" Mishnehel isn't sure what it would do to her sandwich, so she finishes that and then gives it ago, disappearing and reappearing behind someone else, who is quickly relieved of their wallet without noticing. "Check my quest log, spend trait points when I get them, find some celestial arms and mug faeries. Got it." Maybe not exactly mug them. Although... if she beats them up, she'll probably get something even if they don't exactly have anything to take from them.

22. - Top - End - #1342

The tentacle was slithering away and receding from view.
    But then the prophet starts gesturing at it and yelling even louder.

So it surges forward, and is joined by a second tentacle, and the monster tries to grab the man and hurl him out a window. If he's outside the tavern, well, he's not their problem anymore, is he?
    He could certainly avoid this attack, though. It's angry and hasty, that's all it has going for it.
    Last edited by Recaiden; 2020-11-12 at 11:18 PM.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

23. - Top - End - #1343

Hey the drifting worked!

So did the pick-pocketing!

Yezekiel gives Mishnehel an unamused look.

"Okay pretty slick but give it back," says the bar-maid. "You don't even need that. You've got a fusion forge for a stomach. You can eat basically anything so long as it isn't as dense or denser than iron."

Zee doesn't approve of stealing from her guests.

Or yelling at them.

Typically she doesn't approve of them getting tossed out windows either but the crazy prophet wasn't buying anything AND he was upsetting the guests.

24. - Top - End - #1344
    Orc in the Playground

Mishnehel puts it back without the person who owns it noticing its return. They don't even know it went. "So I can eat anything I want, and... these clothes are part of me. That's... altogether, a big relief." She's no longer bound by the chains of finance keeping her in Skyside, she can go do whatever she wants. So long as it doesn't need money, although she might be able to generate some of that anyway.

25. - Top - End - #1345
    Titan in the Playground

Solstice enters the tavern to be met with the sounds of some lunatic ranting and raving. He probably stuck out more than the tentacle monsters, to be honest.

As for Solstice, well, same young and supernaturally-beautiful-looking teen girl, same gear apparently... and her new robes! The ones Zee's friend made. Speaking of Zee, Solstice happens to overhear this as she's talking to some other woman:

"Basically for now just kinda get use to how the new and improved you works. Then start busting faeries that are harassing mortals."

The woman disappears and reappears somewhere slightly different. "Check my quest log, spend trait points when I get them, find some celestial arms and mug faeries. Got it."
    Solstice peers over a bit and then quickly looks away, down at the surface of her table. This felt a bit awkward.

Though really, Solstice didn't feel like she had harassed anyone. She still did feel a bit bad about how a giant magical weald/mountain sprung up from a park and turned some people's homes and businesses into dirt and trees... and how she may have had a hand in it.
    Last edited by WindStruck; 2020-11-16 at 05:23 AM.

26. - Top - End - #1346

The tentacle was slithering away and receding from view.
    But then the prophet starts gesturing at it and yelling even louder.

So it surges forward, and is joined by a second tentacle, and the monster tries to grab the man and hurl him out a window. If he's outside the tavern, well, he's not their problem anymore, is he?
    He could certainly avoid this attack, though. It's angry and hasty, that's all it has going for it.
    This time the man will be able to avoid getting graped. He's not a combat experienced guy, but seeing the tentacles helps a lot. Didn't we all got at least some dodgeball experience. He tries to get closer to the table Zee is. She might realize that his eyes clear a bit like something has shrouded them. As he speaks he sounds calm and doesn't yell.

"Okay, okay. I won't yell. But could you at least stop those murderouse tentacles that come our of nowhere, please?" Huh really sudden change it seems.
    Last edited by Zefir; 2020-11-16 at 04:12 AM.

27. - Top - End - #1347

"Almost anything," Zee corrects. "A lump of iron wouldn't be any good. Transmuting it doesn't release any energy. In fact, it consumes energy. Mostly if you just eat organic stuff and drink water you'll be fine. And honestly, real food still tastes better."

She should know!

She makes lots of food.

"Oh! And it's probably worth noting that there are about a zillion different things called faeries here in the Nexus. Some of them are actually aligned in the Dreamheart and have plans worth thwarting. But most of the rest aren't. You'll be able to tell the difference. Even some of the Dreamlanders are sort of okay I guess but there are plenty that prey on people. Goblins are pretty much the worst."

And then a wave!

"Hey Solstice! How was the Spooktober exploring?"

And would you look at that the prophet of doom is quieting down!

"Oh yeah, sure! Excuse me, mister tentacle monster? The doom prophet has agreed to quiet down would you please refrain from grappling him?"

28. - Top - End - #1348

Quote Originally Posted by Zefir View Post
    This time the man will be able to avoid getting graped. He's not a combat experienced guy, but seeing the tentacles helps a lot. Didn't we all got at least some dodgeball experience. He tries to get closer to the table Zee is. She might realize that his eyes clear a bit like something has shrouded them. As he speaks he sounds calm and doesn't yell.
    "Okay, okay. I won't yell. But could you at least stop those murderouse tentacles that come our of nowhere, please?" Huh really sudden change it seems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebonack View Post
    And would you look at that the prophet of doom is quieting down!
    "Oh yeah, sure! Excuse me, mister tentacle monster? The doom prophet has agreed to quiet down would you please refrain from grappling him?"
    One of the tentacles twists into the shape of a 'thumbs-up-hand' and then retracts back into the dark corner of the room and fade away.
    The other tendril points at a drink on the menu board and flicks several coins onto the bar.
    ~Inner Circle~
    Echidna by Serpentine

29. - Top - End - #1349
    Titan in the Playground

Solstice looks over again and waves shyly. Normally she wouldn't be feeling so bashful, but the way they were talking... even if Zee was talking about different kinds of Faeries, it just felt pretty weird.

"Hello, Zee," she began. "I got to see a number of interesting things. Before a strange turn of events."

The young Fae managed a smile at least, though it faded rather quickly as her gaze drifted over towards Mishnehel.

Solstice looked over her a bit more closely, noting her stained shirt, jeans, boots.. and elf-like features. All that folded up stuff was of course hidden from her view, currently. And if this new person was anything like Zee, she could probably just read other underlying narrative text stuff. Like this.

It must be weird to mortals, or the denizens of the simulation.

Solstice looked back over to Zee. "Your new.." No. Wait. She wasn't necessarily a friend, was she? Though technically 'new' was accurate. She tried to begin again, gesturing at Mishnehel. "Uhm, perhaps I walked in at an inopportune moment. Will there be any quarrels between us?"

30. - Top - End - #1350
    Orc in the Playground

"So don't eat someone's sword, got it. And if I see faerie goblins, stop them. Not normal goblins, though, right? I used to know some, back when I was in Skyside." And actually a person, rather than a soulless hunk of extradimensional meat that hasn't realised the difference yet.

Then Solstice arrives! The half-elf (or such she seems, at present) smiles and waves too. "No, it's OK. I think we're mostly done." She's still too close to who she was before to suffer Zee's affliction of viewing reality through a filter of other people's perceptions, which is honestly a good thing. Earl has no idea how he'd make that work.